PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA Create More Canadian Teams?

TorontoRaptors4
06-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Since there is only 1 canadian team in the nba and thats the toronto raptors id love david stern to create atleast more canadian nba teams its just sad for all other basketball fans in other cities in canada that they have no basketball to get entertained, The nba should bring the NBA to canada more for these cities. Edmonton,Calgary,Vancouver,Ottawa,Montreal,Winnipe g,
and Toronto that would be fare and great.

T.O-Fan
06-28-2008, 06:23 PM
toronto is canadas team..i think one team is enough..raps games are televised nationly ...montreal would be a good city ..they have great fans too

AgentViet
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Montreal wouldn't be much of a basketball city. I think Vancouver could be if they're given more of a chance, they need to have a winning team though.

Phann
06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I think one team in Canada is fine for now. We need to see other teams in different areas in the States. Possibly in areas like St. Louis, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc.

T.O-Fan
06-28-2008, 06:32 PM
im not sure the population of vancouver but i lived there for a week and its not big and i would put a basketbal team there no there wil be one..i think montreal fans would love one in their city..their fan base is unbelievable

xSolidx
06-28-2008, 06:32 PM
1 is enough

Vancouver failed, never happening again lol

Giaps
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
They should look to create teams wherever there is a suitable market for it.

JermanJaysFan
06-28-2008, 07:11 PM
They should look to create teams wherever there is a suitable market for it.

I disagree. Sure, some expansion is good, but I wouldn't want to expand the league too much more than it is now. Too many teams dilutes talent, and talent-less (ie. "boring") basketball isn't marketable. I think relocation is a better option than expansion in general, as it accomplishes two goals- helping a struggling franchise as well as broadening the basketball market.

BleedPurple
06-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I think one team in Canada is fine for now. We need to see other teams in different areas in the States. Possibly in areas like St. Louis, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc.

Yeah 1 is good enough. I live in Upstate New York and Id really like to see Syracuse or Rochester get a team again preferably Syracuse:eyebrow::clap::D

Iodine
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
There are already 30 teams any more would make a huge disparity between talent

GoneGuru
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
put a team in mexico, they would get 50,000 fans into a 18,000 fan building

trust me i know, im columbian and we all know this, lol

superkegger
06-28-2008, 09:10 PM
They had 2 teams and couldn't support them. Why would they do it again.

MiamiHeat
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM

LOL!! nice one

Giaps
06-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I disagree. Sure, some expansion is good, but I wouldn't want to expand the league too much more than it is now. Too many teams dilutes talent, and talent-less (ie. "boring") basketball isn't marketable. I think relocation is a better option than expansion in general, as it accomplishes two goals- helping a struggling franchise as well as broadening the basketball market.
The NFL has 32 teams and there are way more players to each team than there is in basketball. Of course there are way more players entering the NFL each year via draft, but every team has a chance any given year to win.

Basketball is a different animal and I agree that moving cities is a better option at this point than starting a new franchise all together, but from a financial point of view, if there is a strong market that likes basketball than the NBA should consider it.

IMO, next NEW team we see will be in Europe wayyy down the line whenever Stern figures that out... whether that's good or bad is debatable.

TMAC94
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
if they create more teams, will the season have more games?

dre1990
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
1st they need to move the kings or clippers to san diego then move tha other 1 to st. louis and an expansion in las vegas and kansas city so then there wold only be 32 teams and 16 in each confrence

NYMetros
06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of this idea. Canada already has the Raptors, who they get to see on tv throughout the country. Adding more teams will spread out the talent too much around the NBA. It is fine the way it is.

Lakerfan8032
06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
NO! They didn't support 2 teams. Why should they get more? Several teams now get poor attendance. I attribute that more to high ticket prices and poorly ran teams than location, though. A small market team is put in an automatic disadvantage in today's economics. All Canada is is small markets. Montreal didn't support a baseball team and someone mentioned them for a basketball team. I don't think it is a good idea, and we don't need more teams in the league as of now. 30 is plenty.

canzano55
07-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Came by this thread and I wanted to comment.

The NBA shouldn't be expanded but relocating the Hawks to Montreal might not be such a bad idea.

khoolit_jom#8
07-08-2008, 12:40 AM

lol.. that's what i'm thinkin... maybe stern gives the southern america a team.... and mexico would be a great...

dre1990
07-08-2008, 12:51 AM
they need 1 in st. louis and seatle

Dalionking
07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Since there is only 1 canadian team in the nba and thats the toronto raptors id love david stern to create atleast more canadian nba teams its just sad for all other basketball fans in other cities in canada that they have no basketball to get entertained, The nba should bring the NBA to canada more for these cities. Edmonton,Calgary,Vancouver,Ottawa,Montreal,Winnipe g,

nope, they dont fill up the place and when you arent getting the profit you need you leave. check memphis

Ph1lly Diehard
07-08-2008, 01:00 AM
There should be a team in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or St. Louis before any other team gets put in.

IversonIsKrazy
07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
they should. BUt only to certain cities because some cities wouldn't show up, so tickets would not sell, so team would have to shut down.

The Ones to Open:
Vancouver
Edminton OR Calgary (not both)

Maybe:
Winnepeg

Big No NO:
Ottawa
Montreal

AllTheWay
07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Aha i like the Mexico Idea... =)

IversonIsKrazy
07-08-2008, 01:12 AM
but i would rather re-locate than a new team.

kvrnm
07-08-2008, 01:23 AM
1st they need to move the kings or clippers to san diego then move tha other 1 to st. louis and an expansion in las vegas and kansas city so then there wold only be 32 teams and 16 in each confrence

why would you move the kings? they get good attendance dont they? they have had pretty good teams too. but i agree the clippers should be moved.

_Sn1P3r_
07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't really want another Canadian team. If I have to choose then Montreal but I think the NBA is fine right now.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Get a team for Seatle

Goon.Weezy
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
atleast one more teammmm.....in vancouver or montreal or calgary

Mman
07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
For anyone saying Montreal has a great fan base....and where are the Expos now ?

ramansingh3
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
the only other place besides Toronto is trying it out in Vancouver again especially since the Sonics left, which may bring over some fans like how some people from toronto go to watch bills games. Vancouver is the only other city with a decent population and fan support from the success of steve nash.

ramansingh3
07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
When the Grizzlies where in Vancouver they had the worst management team in the NBA like moves such as investing in Bryant Big Country Reeves and the how steve francis demanded a trade when he was drafted. When the team was relocated Jerry West joined on and got Pau Gasol and took them to the playoffs. The failure was primarly managements fault especially if you finish worst in the league that many years in a row. When ever steve nash comes to vancouver for his charity special its always sold out and I wouldn't be surprised if a move to have a team in vancouver that after steve nash's playing days are over helps them launch their franchise.

ramansingh3
07-09-2008, 02:20 AM
NO! They didn't support 2 teams. Why should they get more? Several teams now get poor attendance. I attribute that more to high ticket prices and poorly ran teams than location, though. A small market team is put in an automatic disadvantage in today's economics. All Canada is is small markets. Montreal didn't support a baseball team and someone mentioned them for a basketball team. I don't think it is a good idea, and we don't need more teams in the league as of now. 30 is plenty.

Toronto I believe is the 4th or 5th largest market and the raptors are in the top 3 in attendance records. Get educated on some of the stuff you say cause it could be bs like in this case. ''Canada is is small markets.'' First of all the sentence makes no sense and Canada is filled with 6 major cities and has a hell of a better economy than the US. Cities like edmonton and calgary 10 years ago had half a million population and yet had a good attendance for their NHL teams and each of those cities like calgary is just over a million population and edmonton is just under. So don't be an ignorant fool and bs to try to prove a point.

ramansingh3
07-09-2008, 02:28 AM
But at the state of where the NBA is today, I would prefer a relocation like the Memphis Grizzlies or at least 2 expansion teams at the same time one in the east and one in the west. Some of the ideal markets would be Vegas and bring another team to Seattle, that would be the primary focus of the NBA.Look at the NFL they have 32 teams they don't complain and say their talent is so spread out.

TheShock45
07-09-2008, 02:29 AM

well they might need 1 more team for when seattle up and running again in a year

it would be cool to see another 2 team expansion draft haha its the most stratigical thing in sports

Montreal or Ottawa have good sports fans maybe montreal since they lost the expos

dirk206
07-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope Vancouver gets another team, they just had a horrible team and some bad luck. For 1, Steve Francis refusing to go to Vancouver screwed them pretty bad and overpaying for Bryant Reeves. But I think it's a great city for basketball. I think the NBA just has to promote basketball better in Canada because it's a hockey country, period.

ink
07-09-2008, 02:59 AM
They had 2 teams and couldn't support them. Why would they do it again.

No. The reason the Vancouver franchise collapsed was because they were hideously managed by Stu Jackson. His draft picks were horrible, the league had a moratorium on the first draft picks both of the new Canadian teams could have for the first few seasons (i.e. they were not allowed to have lottery picks!!! :pity: ), and they tied up $10 million per season on Bryant Reeves. The team was horrible, and STILL they averaged over 15,000 fans. On top of that, the Canadian dollar at the time was worth about 65 cents on the American dollar and contracts had to be paid out in US $. That meant that even at full capacity, the franchise still only had 2/3 of the actual revenue of any other team from the get go. Now the Canadian and US dollars are at par, and there is no disadvantage any longer.

We definitely supported the team even though they didn't deserve it because they were so horrible. Look at them now in Memphis. Still terribly run and hopeless.

If the league does in another Canadian market what they're doing in Toronto now (i.e. having a top quality GM in place) the team would stand a very good chance of success. The fan base is definitely there despite the MYTHS to the contrary.

CaughtInAHustle
07-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Vegas!