PDA

View Full Version : For the people that want a vet RB, who might be able to put up short yardage

beast
06-28-2008, 02:26 PM
From

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/27/steelers-dump-davenport/

STEELERS DUMP DAVENPORT
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 27, 2008, 4:55 p.m.

Well, that was quick.

This afternoon we heard that the Steelers were trying to shop running back Najeh Davenport.

A couple of hours later, a league source told PFT that the Steelers couldn’t find any takers, so they’re cutting the veteran running back.

Davenport, who became expendable when the Steelers picked running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round of the draft, had career highs in carries (107), yards (499) and touchdowns (five) in 2007.

I don't want him, but I though somebody else might like the idea. I think he's getting old in football years now, and has had some off the field problems, but if your looking for a vet RB that can pick a 4 and 2 he might be a name. But then again I don't think he has every play in zone blocking.

Brunner
06-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't mind the acquisition, but I really do not think we have a need for it. Grant brings a nice combination of power and speed, Jackson has come along, and we have some other RB who could fill in if injuries became a problem. Grant, Jackson, and Davenport would be a nice string of RB though.

IRNMN
06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I would pass because I think we are fine at RB. If Wynn can stay healthy I he could really do some damage. Morency still has a decent chance to stay here. Also a few unknown backs. Not to mention Davenport has had his shot in Green Bay. I would pass and stick with the guns we have here. I would be perfectly fine going into the season with Grant-Jackson-Morency(PS Lumpkin).

newdude
06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Didn't he also talk smack about the Packers once he left? Something like "I was tired of being on the sideline watching us lose all the time" and that following season we had the same record as the Steelers 8-8 (I think thats what happen).

beast
06-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Didn't he also talk smack about the Packers once he left? Something like "I was tired of being on the sideline watching us lose all the time" and that following season we had the same record as the Steelers 8-8 (I think thats what happen).

I don't have a clue what he said, other than doing the Lambeau Leap in Pittsburgh, and trying to call it something else. (Glad even the Steelers fans didn't like it)

But I think he left the 4-12 Packers (at the time) for the current Super Bowl Champs Steelers (at the time).

ryanph30
06-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I dont think hes needed here at all. As IRNM said I think Wynn can fit in the short yardage roll. If not TT will find some other unknown back that can fit in the roll.

hughest4
06-29-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm not going to lie, i used to love Najeh when he was here but i don't think we need him. His is getting up there in age and has had some injuries. At the same time we could use a player like him for short yardage so i dont see the harm of bringing him in

RcrkllrH2
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
frankly i liked tony fisher better than davenport

if youre gonna bring back a vet we cut, bring fisher back....

beast
06-29-2008, 12:00 PM
frankly i liked tony fisher better than davenport

if youre gonna bring back a vet we cut, bring fisher back....

But hasn't fisher had some knee problems, and lost some of his moves because of that?

(really don't know, but I though he hurt he knee and didn't recover well.)

wissportsfan
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I knew this was coming. I'm not a big fan of Davenport.

dtrsi
06-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I really don't think we should bring back davenport. I think we are fine with what we have. If we bring davenport back then we would basically have to cut wynn, and I would rather keep wynn than bring back davenport.

Mziolkow
06-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Can we bring back Samkon Gado too?

hughest4
06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I really don't think we should bring back davenport. I think we are fine with what we have. If we bring davenport back then we would basically have to cut wynn, and I would rather keep wynn than bring back davenport.

Just because we sign somebody it doesn't mean we have to keep him for the regular season. We could always give him a look and if he is not better then our current running backs, cut him. And who is to say that Wynn is going to make this team with or without us signing another player. He is still competing for most likely 2 spots with Morency, Herron, and Lumpkin. While he is talented he also showed that he was soft...and i doubt the coaches like that

beast
06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Just because we sign somebody it doesn't mean we have to keep him for the regular season. We could always give him a look and if he is not better then our current running backs, cut him. And who is to say that Wynn is going to make this team with or without us signing another player. He is still competing for most likely 2 spots with Morency, Herron, and Lumpkin. While he is talented he also showed that he was soft...and i doubt the coaches like that

2 spots? I think Wynn is the most talented of the one you list but, as you said he's soft, and people have been question his work ethic, and he sounds like the coaches still don't have the answers to those questions.

hughest4
06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
2 spots? I think Wynn is the most talented of the one you list but, as you said he's soft, and people have been question his work ethic, and he sounds like the coaches still don't have the answers to those questions.

I agree with you about Wynn being the most talented of those guys. I really like what i saw from him before he got hurt but i just want to see a little more toughness. A guy like Herron is very hard working and that work ethic probably impresses the coaches.

The Boss
07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
What a classic headline, we all know the name Davenport and the word Dump go hand in hand....

and I for one would pass on the idea of signing him