PDA

View Full Version : which team made the better deal?

edison_yia
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
minnesota or memphis?
which of the two rebuilding teams made the better deal? i beleive memphis did cause they got rid of miller, cardinal and collins contract and yes, they receive some bad contracts bad too but walker contract is almost up and jaric gets about 7 million only...so i think the salary pretty much match up.

but lets look at the two rookies..mayo in many people's eyes is overrated..but look at his stats..it was still pretty impressive for a first year..people just expect too much from him eventhough he still had a pretty good freshman year...

and then there is kevin lvoe..who i think will be solid..an anderson varajao but poorer version of him...he is too small to even try to dominates..but i htink he will be a good energy man..but i think his low post presence is overrated...

so i believe memphis got the better deal...

you guys thoughts?

Lakerfrk
06-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I think Minnesota got the better deal by far, no contest.

Yes, the Grizzlies get O.J. Mayo, who i do believe will be great. But the Wolves get Kevin Love, who will be very good, though not in his first year, AND they get Mike Miller, who had one of his best seasons. They put Miller in with their very very young core of Randy Foye, Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer, Rashad McCants, and Kevin Love.

McHale did a good job, but who knows, in the future we may be saying Memphis ripped them off if Mayo is great.

dre1990
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
in the long term it's going to depend on kevin love and o.j mayo

short term: wolves, mike miller is very good and will help them
long term: if i had to guess Memphis i think O.J will be a perrenial all star BUT IT COULD GO EITHER WAY

_Sn1P3r_
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
in the long term it's going to depend on kevin love and o.j mayo

short term: wolves, mike miller is very good and will help them
long term: if i had to guess Memphis i think O.J will be a perrenial all star BUT IT COULD GO EITHER WAY

I agree. Also, it would be fun watchin mayo and gay playing together.

Btw, nice sig.

daleja424
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
short term and long term: MEMPHIS

-First of all Memphis got the 3rd best player in this draft, and the guy that most people think is the most NBA ready. Mayo>>Love
-Second, Memphis traded Miller's contract and Cardina'ls contracts (2 years each (15 mil next year) and one expirng deal worth 6 mil (Collins). They got back Walker who expires (10 mil) and two contracts that are each thee years long (9 mil next year). Next summer Memphis will now have and extra 10 million to spend that they wouldnt have had otherwise.

dre1990
06-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree. Also, it would be fun watchin mayo and gay playing together.

Btw, nice sig.

thanks

TMAC94
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
i dont think oj mayo and rudy can play on the same team, or so i've heard.

Buckwheat
06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
At this moment I say it is Minnesota because of them getting Miller with guys like Jefferson, Foye, etc, as stated. If OJ is the player I think he will be, the nod might go to Memphis.

Buckwheat
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
i dont think oj mayo and rudy can play on the same team, or so i've heard.

Well, Mike Miller and Gay.. and Gasol played together. I think Gay and Mayo will be no problem.

SpeeMN
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Here in Minnesota we are modest and we'd like to stay away from anyone that reminds us of Starbury..... we were forced to draft Mayo because of what we could trade him for. If love wasn't white, everyone would be in love with him as much as the top three, sorry but thats what i believe.... his numbers were second to only Beasley, and he played in the PAC 10

Buckwheat
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Here in Minnesota we are modest and we'd like to stay away from anyone that reminds us of Starbury..... we were forced to draft Mayo because of what we could trade him for. If love wasn't white, everyone would be in love with him as much as the top three, sorry but thats what i believe.... his numbers were second to only Beasley, and he played in the PAC 10

Bringing the race card in here isn't even cool.. It doesn't even make sense.

The 3 most talented were Mayo, Beasley, and Rose.. No doubt.

Westbrook was a need for Seattle, apparently. Minny probably felt taking Love at 3 was too high, or they knew they could get a good player like Mike Miller out of the deal. It isn't like Love was picked in the second round or anything..

TmacYao2
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Wolves got the better deal for now, but Nobody is know how good the Grizz deal can be it really depends on how O.J Mayo performs.

Nets fan 93
06-28-2008, 10:25 PM
T-Wolves obviously made out better getting Jason Collins

MGB
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Memphis is the obvious loser, simply because their 3-4 combination could've been sweet Gay-Love.

TMAC94
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
woopps wrong thing lol.

TMAC94
06-28-2008, 10:48 PM
^^ ignore that post, i think mini made the better deal for now, they needed a scorer, miller is a shooter, i wouldnt have minded him at houston.

WillisLovechild
06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
memphis won this trade. IMO, the winner is the team that got the best player, and thats mayo. they also got a little bit more cap room than the wolves did. im too lazy to put up the stats again, but the grizz did win in that department cuz walker's contract is up after this year. i think they got it by 4 million dollars if memory serves me correctly.

KeithLBC
06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
What good is having cap space if you're not going to put it back into the team?

I think Minnesota got the better end of the deal. They got a 3 point shooter to go with the young talent that they already have and added a stud in Love. Sure Mayo is good, but Memphis also had to take two older guards and a forward who's complained on every team he's been on.

Superboy21
06-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Personally, I think that as of right now, Minnesota got the better cut of the deal, not because of Love himself, but because they added a proven vet and scoring option in Miller and dumped Jaric's huge contract. There are already some viable pieces in Minnesota (in the likes of Al Jefferson, Randy Foye, Miller and Ryan Gomes) that will allow Love to have a role in which he can relax and just play his game. As for Memphis, they get IMO a star in the making in O.J Mayo. This guy is a legit threat to be the rookie of the year this year. Mayo has little help in terms of scoring other then Rudy Gay, and will have to look to create not only for his team, but for himself as well. Love won't be that great of a player in the league, but a very dependable one due to his motor, decent size, fundamentals, and shooting ability. On the other hand, Mayo is a guy who can open up many eyes, and give the people in Memphis a show. This guy has had the crowd follow him since he was in grade school, and I'd bet that Memphis fans will finally start coming to games and seeing this kid play. He has normally lived up to the wild expectations put onto him, and I don't see him failing much this year individually either, even though I believe that Memphis has a very little chance at becoming a decent to good team. With all that said, comparing Love to a player like Varejeo of the Cavs is a little far fetched because Love is much more of a skilled offensive player (even though he has good work ethic and a motor like Anderson V), but he shouldn't be considered to be the next great power forward like Timmy D or Garnett. In the long run, I think both sides will reap the benefits of this deal, but as of right now, I give a slight edge to Minny just because they added a young talent in Love, and a proven vet in Miller to an already better-than-Memphis situation. Memphis has a lot to do and to work on before they become a good team, but they do have two great scoring options and potential stars in Mayo and Gay.

Redbull
06-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Timberwolves easily.

Do0msday
06-28-2008, 11:55 PM
The T'Wolves definitely got the better deal, at least for now. Mike Miller is a proven player. He is probably the most underrated player in the league. As for the Love/Mayo rivalry...I honestly think Love will be a very solid player & fit well with Minny, even if Mayo is the overall better player. I just think Love will have a better chance to develop and be solid since he'll most likely have a better supporting cast. Mayo is going to have to be more like a 1 man show.

To be honest ... Mayo reminds me of the next coming of Stephon Marbury. He's going to try to win every game himself, and he may have to in Memphis...

ALL TOGETHER
06-29-2008, 04:49 AM
which of the two rebuilding teams made the better deal? i beleive memphis did cause they got rid of miller, cardinal and collins contract and yes, they receive some bad contracts bad too but walker contract is almost up and jaric gets about 7 million only

Why would the Grizzlies getting rid of Miller be a good thing? Many teams covet him.

Just wait til you see Jaric play. You wont be saying "only 7 million" anymore. You'll be saying "I can't believe they are paying this guy 7 million a year".

brandonwarne52
06-29-2008, 04:53 AM
LOL, and Jaric is the one of the 3 that can actually 'play'.

ALL TOGETHER
06-29-2008, 04:53 AM

He made the race comment because there are many people in the T-Wolves Forum who think Love will not be a good NBA Power Forward because he is white.

ALL TOGETHER
06-29-2008, 04:54 AM

The 3 most talented were Mayo, Beasley, and Rose.. No doubt.

Westbrook was a need for Seattle, apparently. Minny probably felt taking Love at 3 was too high, or they knew they could get a good player like Mike Miller out of the deal. It isn't like Love was picked in the second round or anything..

They wanted Love all along.

They chose Mayo for trade bait.

Mane
06-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Grizzlies no doubt. Love is extremely overrated, Mayos going to be a star.

Conley+Gay+Mayo is going to be vicious.

brandonwarne52
06-29-2008, 06:12 AM
What about Miller?

And the 3 horrible contracts the Grizz took on?

ALL TOGETHER
06-29-2008, 06:46 AM
What about Miller?

And the 3 horrible contracts the Grizz took on?

People keep overlooking that aspect of the trade.:shrug:

It's the most convincing argument since there is no way we can know yet what Mayo or Love will become.

NoSense
06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I do think they both made a good deal. They're in different situation and they have pieces either to build on or to clear salary cap a year or two from now...

Big Quett
06-29-2008, 08:31 AM
He made the race comment because there are many people in the T-Wolves Forum who think Love will not be a good NBA Power Forward because he is white.

No i dont think its the fact that's his white i think its the fact that he is slow unathletic and doesnt have an nba body. You can get away with overpowering people in college but that just doesnt always work in the nba.
But i think if he loses the weight he can be great. But that is a big if.

ALL TOGETHER
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
No i dont think its the fact that's his white i think its the fact that he is slow unathletic and doesnt have an nba body. You can get away with overpowering people in college but that just doesnt always work in the nba.
But i think if he loses the weight he can be great. But that is a big if.

Since when do Power Forwards have to be world class sprinters? He has plenty of speed for a guy his size.

He has already lost 15 pounds, and he will no doubt lose more before the season begins after going through his first NBA training camp.

Love is much more athletic than people give him credit for. His combine numbers are telling.

This is for all you Love haters. Numbers don't lie.

2008 NBA Pre-Draft Combine

Michael Beasley:

No Step Vert: 30
Max Vert: 35
Bench Press: 19
Lane Agility: 11.06
3/4 Court Sprint: 3.24

Kevin Love:

No Step Vert: 29.5
Max Vert: 35
Bench Press: 18
Lane Agility: 11.17
3/4 Court Sprint: 3.22

None of you think Beasley is "slow". Even though by the sprint numbers he is SLOWER than Love.

None of you think Beasley is "unathletic". Even though Love has shown he can jump just as high and bench just as much minus 1.

WillisLovechild
06-29-2008, 02:26 PM
LOL, and Jaric is the one of the 3 that can actually 'play'.

where does it say that?

brandonwarne52
06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
where does it say that?

Huh?

Check some box scores, lol....

badkins1121
06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
memphis won this trade. IMO, the winner is the team that got the best player, and thats mayo. they also got a little bit more cap room than the wolves did. im too lazy to put up the stats again, but the grizz did win in that department cuz walker's contract is up after this year. i think they got it by 4 million dollars if memory serves me correctly.

But in the third year Memphis pays almost $12 million more as Jaric ($7.6 million) and Buckner ($4.3 million) will still be under contract. And that just happens to be the 2010-11 season when there will be huge free agent names.

PRETTY BIRD
06-29-2008, 08:10 PM
memphis

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 02:08 AM
But in the third year Memphis pays almost $12 million more as Jaric ($7.6 million) and Buckner ($4.3 million) will still be under contract. And that just happens to be the 2010-11 season when there will be huge free agent names.

The T-Wolves are gonna have crazy cap space in 2010. Plus a solid core group of players.

Watch out league.

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 02:09 AM
memphis

Did you read any of the posts?

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 02:11 AM
where does it say that?

I think we would know.

We had to spend an entire season watching Walker, Jaric, and Buckner waddle up and down the court

ramansingh3
06-30-2008, 02:17 AM
the t-wolves got rid of bad contracts in walker and jaric and in return recieved a solid player in miller and most likely in love. Memphis in desperation took on these contracts in order to obtain a talent in mayo. this deal is hard to rate now since neither mayo or love have stepped on a nba court, but the only way memphis gets the better trade is if mayo becomes an allstar and is better than love by a wide margin.

WillisLovechild
06-30-2008, 04:06 AM

for the first few years memphis has the cap room, well more than the wolves. but honestly, even if memphis had a ton of room in 2010, how many stars do u really think would sign to play there?

I think we would know.

We had to spend an entire season watching Walker, Jaric, and Buckner waddle up and down the court

i never said he could play, i just wanted to know if someone actually said that.

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 04:30 AM
i never said he could play, i just wanted to know if someone actually said that.

Yeah. Me.

Whats it to ya?

rabzouz 96
06-30-2008, 08:17 AM
i think its a lose lose for minny. not only did they give away the better player in mayo for love, but also they received miller for that. on a winnig team he would be a plus of course, but in minny i dont think hes in any way what they need. theyre a young rebuilding team trying to build something up and then they get miller whos already 28 or 29 or sth like that and wants his minutes so he will take away time from their young wings that they need to develop, also minny in my eyes wants another good draft pick but miller makes em a better team now which could cost them some positions in the draft, so they might lose out on a nice young talent that wouldve complemented their young roster. another thing is that i think they couldve gotten a better offer for mayo somewhere else, because its not like theres no market for mayo

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
i think its a lose lose for minny. not only did they give away the better player in mayo for love, but also they received miller for that. on a winnig team he would be a plus of course, but in minny i dont think hes in any way what they need. theyre a young rebuilding team trying to build something up and then they get miller whos already 28 or 29 or sth like that and wants his minutes so he will take away time from their young wings that they need to develop, also minny in my eyes wants another good draft pick but miller makes em a better team now which could cost them some positions in the draft, so they might lose out on a nice young talent that wouldve complemented their young roster. another thing is that i think they couldve gotten a better offer for mayo somewhere else, because its not like theres no market for mayo

I despise your post.

Have you read one comment??

Lo Porto
06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
For the next 2 seasons, Minnesota cleans up on this trade. Mike Miller is the best player in this deal right now. Compare Miller to the guys returned (Walker and Jaric), and it's not even close. Financially, the trade definitely favors Minnesota. Getting out of Jaric's 3 years and $22 million was a good decision.

After 2 years, the trade will be based on Love versus Mayo. Mayo is a better player and will always get more hype and attention, but Love was a great fit for Minnesota. Minnesota now has their frontcourt of the future set with Jefferson and Love. Plus, Foye is the same type player as Mayo in terms of being that combo guard. Of course Mayo will probably be better, but they are quite the same. Would the Wolves be better served in getting a big that compliments Jefferson or another perimeter player with the same type game?

I'm a Jazz fan, and the last thing I want to see is a divisional opponent get better. I feel that this trade made Minnesota much better right now, and they may be extremely strong in the paint for a long time. On the flip side, Memphis has a nice duo with Gay and Mayo. If they could find a way to get a post player to compliment, they would have a bright future.

Minnesota wins in this trade.

GOGOGOMEZ08
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd say minnesota got the better of the deal right now because you cannot bring love and mayo into it until they play but getting miller cardinal and collins for jaric walker and buckner who all had bad contracts and attitudes we got the better deal right now but if mayo is way better than love or vice versa we will not know until the season starts i could see mayo getting more of a chance to play bigger minutes tho

WillisLovechild
06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah. Me.

Whats it to ya?

alright buddy, no need to get all defensive. u actually think jaric can play? and i mean play well. he's got some game off the court to land lima, but on the court he ain't got much.

ALL TOGETHER
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
u actually think jaric can play? and i mean play well. he's got some game off the court to land lima, but on the court he ain't got much.

lol.

No Sh** Sherlock.

WillisLovechild
07-01-2008, 04:05 AM
lol.

No Sh** Sherlock.

alright, no need to be so rude... im still just surprised if u actually said jaric can play. the dude has little basketball game... hell his wife is a better ball handler than he is i bet.