PDA

View Full Version : Another Dunn Proposal

VAMataman
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
from Rosenthal on FoxSports:

It's the time of the year to be creative, and one GM offers this trade concept: Outfielder Adam Dunn to the Dodgers for outfielder Juan Pierre and shortstop Chin-lung Hu, with the Dodgers contributing enough money to knock down Pierre's average salary through 2011 from $8.8 million to, say, $6 million.

The Dodgers would benefit from Dunn's power, the savings on Pierre's contract and the two draft picks they would receive if Dunn left as a free agent. The Reds would get Pierre — who played for Dusty Baker with the Cubs — at a more reasonable price. They could play Pierre in center and move Jay Bruce to right field, with Hu becoming their shortstop of the future.

Link: Rosenthal (http:////msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8287934/Bullpen-management-proving-to-be-Girardi's-strength?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49)

bestlakersfan
06-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't do it. Dunn just strikesout way too much, and with Kemp on the team and his strikeout ratio and factor in Jones and if he comes back like the way he left, our outfield could easily produce 6 K's per game. Dunn is not the answer for me. I would trade Ethier and Hu to the Pirates to Jason Bay. Or if they prefer, Pierre and pay his contract down in a similar way that is mentioned above.

No Dunn for me, thank you.

darth550
06-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I would trade Ethier

That would be one of those regrettable trades we all talk about!

c2thab
06-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks but no thanks! Dunn hits bombs but like its been said already he K's way too much and hits .240 or so. That will be Andruw when he comes back. We dont need two guys on the team like that. Plus, atleast Andruw can play defense.

swells2048
06-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't like Dunn, but I would probably do that deal. Dunn would be gone at the end of the year, and that money could be used on Sabathia or a 2B. It would rid us of Pierre. But I do think Hu will be a very good SS one day.

DodgerLove
06-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I would make this trade in a heart beat, we dump juan pierre who most have been complaining about though he is playing very well right now, and chin lung hu who i frankly havent been impressed by, he plays great defense but i dont feel he is going to be a major league hitter. Adam Dunn does strike out alot but what alot of you dont even realize is that matt kemp k's just as much. Kemp currently has 78 while adam dunn has 84. Matt Kemp is projected to hit less homeruns than adam dunn currently has. I think i would make this trade in a heart beat, this team needs power and rbis.

THINKBLUE15
06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
While Dunn strikes out, he will still hit 40 HR. Yea, he'll hit 245. or so, but hey he'll hit 40HR. His defense is nothing to brag about, but hey, hill still hit 40HR. We have enough guys that can hit for average. The Dodgers need power. It is a must. While I would rather have Bay, or Holliday, Dunn hits 40 F'n HR a year. That's good enough for me.

Again almost the rest of the team can hit for avereage. Then Dunn will do what he does.

THINKBLUE15
06-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh, and not to mention dropping Pierre....

(But I have to admit, PIerre is a hard worker and has done a good job for us with what he can do)

grizz8884
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
No thank you. With Jones/Dunn/Kemp in the outfield and in the line-up, we'll never be able to put the damn ball in play! Besides, Dunn's defense is atrocious. Did anybody watch him in the three game series over there at the Great American Ballpark? Yeesh.

Tapptout
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I am against trading for Dunn but i would do this trade, i mean we lose Pierre's weak ace arm, Dunn's D is not great but it is not going to be worse than Pierre's. Plus he is on pace for like 51 HR's or something like that. Kemp and Jones won't combine for that this year!

marmar33
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Does anyone anyone here realize that despite Dunn atrocious batting average, at the moment is at .221, that he is getting on base at a .381 rate which would be far away better than any player on the dodgers not named Russell Martin. If this trade were to happen (highly unlikely, even though dusty baker is the manager for the reds) it would improve the team greatly, by if nothing else getting rid of juan pierre and his awful contract and ability.

DogBoy_3_18
06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Lets face it, we'll never be an offensive powerhouse. The Dodgers aren't known for that. No to the deal. Dunn and Kemp would be battling each other for the :k: crown.

THINKBLUE15
06-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Lets face it, we'll never be an offensive powerhouse. The Dodgers aren't known for that. No to the deal. Dunn and Kemp would be battling each other for the :k: crown.

Again, Dunn will hit 40 HR.
Dunn gets on base. Strikeouts come with power most of the time. You can't always get a complete player, but a plaer who hits 40HR is okay in my book.

Don't Bring Kemp into this. He is still learning.
And as for Jones, if he continues to struggle, he won't be out there.

And we would be getting rid of Pierre, don't forget. So while I would rather have a guy like Bay, Dunn is no stiff.

GHGHCP
06-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Fact: Pierre sucks in the outfield also as EVERYONE runs on him.

Fact: Getting rid of Pierre and his horrible contract can only help this team.

Fact: People saying No to this trade need to get their heads examined.

This trade sadly won't happen as it would be too good to be true.

Pierre: 72 OPS+
Dunn: 125 OPS+

THINKBLUE15
06-28-2008, 04:12 PM
^^^^^
Thank You.

4everblue
06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
If the REAL Jones comes back, there's no need for Dunn. If not, pull the trigger FAST.

When Jones comes back, Pierre goes back to the bench.

Tapptout
06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Sell Pierre while he's still valuable, like 4everblue said once AJ comes back Pierre is on the bench and people will know we want to sell him.

The 6-4-3
06-28-2008, 04:54 PM
your a Fu(kin ****** if you dont do this trade.
dunn will be that BAT we need, if jones is back to normal, 2 power bats in the middle of a our basehit team. PERFECT

and if not you Dunn will be our guy, i guarantee if he comes down we'll make the playoffs..

you look at the K's all wrong, hes a power hitter he hits for power, loney is an avg. guy hes not hitting the ball out and that what we nEED .

bring in DUNN

pmmr2113
06-28-2008, 05:06 PM
do it ned. i'll forgive you if you would do this.

THINKBLUE15
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
^^
I don't get it. Are you a Pirates fan?:confused:

gagnefan38
06-28-2008, 05:33 PM
You HAVE to know what Furcal is going to be like after his back injury before you trade any of the speed JP brings! Matt Kemp with all his speed still isn't an accomplished enough basestealer and baserunner which makes us a station to station, we would need 3 hits to score. You will also have to live with a an outfield with Dunn in left (84 k's in 77 gms, Druw in center (45 in 43) and Kemp in right (78 in 74). Then there is the problem of where they hit and if Druw can make up for Dunn's severe lack of range in left AFTER a knee surgery no less. Then you have the fact that both Dunn and Ethier who will be headed to the bench both are hitting 205 and 164 respectively against lefties. You sit them both in those situations?

On the positive side obviously the potential power from this would be amazing and exciting and Dunn has an OBP of 381. I am sure I am in the minority any time trading Pierre is brought up but if it helps the team then I'm all for it, just not sure it would. At the very least if this happens and it's a bust then the Dodgers can fire Colletti then this board can have a party.

gagnefan38
06-28-2008, 05:46 PM
If the REAL Jones comes back, there's no need for Dunn. If not, pull the trigger FAST.

When Jones comes back, Pierre goes back to the bench.

Not so fast not against lefties Pierre he's not. When Jones comes back it's a platoon between Pierre and Dre.

dodgerdave
06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I've never liked Dunn, because all he brings to the table are walks, homers, and strikeouts. And he's a butcher at all other aspects of the game. But since our offense is so power-depleted (we rank dead last in homers), then having Adam Dunn doesn't sound too bad anymore. He has what we need which is power.

I would only trade for Dunn if we can trade him for Pierre.

spanky006
06-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree. Dunn for Pierre and Hu would be fine with me. Giving up Pierre is the key for me. Yes, I know he is filling in fairly good for Furcal, but we all know that is not going to last. Furcal is going to come back and Pierre is going to go back to his #2 spot, and his stats will drop. If we can get rid of Pierre's contract, i'd do it. At worst we would have Dunn for 1/2 of a season and at seasons end be rid of Dunn's contract and Pierre's future contract. Add in all of the other FA's we got (Lowe, Kent, Glassia) and Team option contracts (Penny and Berrora) and obligations (Loaiza)......that is a ton of money to go shopping with.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Did anyone see Dunn field in our series against them? It was horrible.

I'd pull the trigger though for THAT trade. Btw Pierre isn't playing good, he is playing okay which just makes him look good in comparison to the rest of the team. Since when was a .280 average for a singles hitter acceptable?

southerndodgerf
06-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I would do this deal. His OBP is insane and he has power. Yes, he Ks but consider what and OBP of 381 is with those ks.

Blue Thunder
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
An outfield of Dunn, Jones and Kemp would be a huge improvement over an outfield of Pierre, Jones and Ethier. Ethier is nothing special and needs to be a bench player. Dunn is a power hitter who is in his prime and not some washed-up veteran on the downside of his career. Bring some power to LA for the love of all things holy.

dodgers07champs
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
People don't realize that OBP is more important than average..he has 19 HRs right now...nobody on our team has more than half of that. I love Pierre..he busts his ***, works hard, and is very helpful on the base paths, but if we just gave him and Hu (who is not very good IMO) for a proven power hitter like Dunn..that'd be great.

mcpeepants23200
06-28-2008, 08:03 PM
That would be one of those regrettable trades we all talk about!

Why? Ethier is a good player but he's never going to be much more than a 15-20 homer guy and that is at most. I'd take Dunn for Ethier, Hu and Pierre. I think Ethier is a good player but we just have too many players like him. Kemp, Loney, Martin, Dewitt, Kemp and Ethier all are basically decent average and decent power guys. We need a power bat and if we did acquire Dunn we would have a logjam in the outfield. We'd most likely give up either Ethier or Young. I wouldn't really care which.

Beaver Liquor
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Dunn for 1/2 a season - Not a bad idea given our lack of power.
Trading away Pierre and his contract - A very good idea.
Getting two draft picks when we don't resign Dunn - Fantastic idea.
The fact that Hu would be the "trade sweetener" - Incredibly lucky if that's all that we'd have to give up.

In my mind, this is completely a no-brainer and a very lopsided trade for us every way you look at it. Which is why Colletti probably won't do it even if it was offered to him gift-wrapped and on a silver platter.

yojoe792
06-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Throw strikeout numbers at me, I DON'T CARE. What this team needs is some power.

IN A HEARTBEAT.

bestlakersfan
06-29-2008, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't do this trade just yet. First, like I said before, there would be waayyy too many K's in our lineup. I don't think you guys realize how frustrating K's are. Also, I am a numbers guy and know OBP. is very important, but sometimes contact (hitting) is just as important, so a contact hitter with a .350 OBP and great speed is just as good as a K'er (for lack of a better word) with a .380 OBP. Now I realize that Pierre's OBP is at .331, which is bad, but the guy has 34 SBs. He has a crappy arm, which frustrates the hell out of me, but he covers a ton of ground out there.

But, the second and most important point is to see how Furcal and Jones look when they come back. If both are healthy and really back to their forms, then this trade is not too necessary. At that point, you trade Pierre for another deficiency that we have or that may arise. It is too early to trade just yet, we are only 2.5 games back. Considering how poorly we have played in the first half, how quickly the D'backs started out of the gate and how many injuries we have been hit with, we are right there, in position to make an awesome second half run.

By the way, I am not a Pierre fan, but would like to trade him for someone better, someone that better fits us.

swells2048
06-29-2008, 09:21 AM
The fact that Hu would be the "trade sweetener" - Incredibly lucky if that's all that we'd have to give up.

In my mind, this is completely a no-brainer and a very lopsided trade for us every way you look at it. Which is why Colletti probably won't do it even if it was offered to him gift-wrapped and on a silver platter.

I agree. To me this trade has little to do with Dunn. If in the trade we signed Dunn to an extension I think it would be horrible. The best part(s) is that Dunn is a FA next year. Him and his salary are gone, Pierre's contract is gone, and Logan gets two more shots at picking up talent. Before you get too excited about Dunn's HR numbers 11 of his 19 HRs are solo shots. So he isn't getting it done with runners on (BA w/ RISP is .203). So hes not exactly coming up big in key situations. And his D is bad. The important part of this trade is dumping Pierre and getting two picks.

LAStory
06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
For that deal, do it. Getting rid of pierres contract is big, even if we pay a small portion of it. Use dunn for half a season, see how it goes, if they don't bring him back, get some picks. This deal works for me.

blueplatespcial
06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
^Swells and Beaver have me sold on this one. Frank, we know you are secretly reading these posts at 3am every morning. So, here's what you do: Tell Ned he makes this deal or he's fired. After he makes the deal, fire him anyway! Ha Ha!

BlueZoo
06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Say hello to James Loney, LF, if this trade materializes, IMO. You really can't leave Dunn out there all season in the OF, so this would probably happen sooner or later, or some form of it. Ethier in LF , ,Loney in RF, Dunn at 1B or something once in a while.
I guess if it's for Hu and Pierre , who all of you hate beyond justifiable reasoning, then do it, and let's be Dunn with it.
Eventually, he would take over the "blame" position on this website, I predict.
Just one point: if we actually had a team that could hit with RISP, and behind runners like other ML teams do, do you think the hate on Pierre would be so great? We'd be scoring a hell of a lot more runs...this guy gets to 3B a lot by himself, and just dies there, because the rest of the lineup sucks, let's face it.

LAdiablo
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
dunn would be a mistake because even though his numbers aren't horrible. and you could look past the strikeouts. the pressure of LA would be too much. he belongs down on the farm

BlueZoo
06-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Pressure? What pressure? This team has sucked for twenty years, and they still go to the Ravine and do the wave in the ninth inning when the Dodgers are losing , which is often...about 47,000 every night. Par-r-ty!
They get the worst free agents out there and assemble a bunch of jerkoffs to run the the team - Ned, Conte, Easler, etc ( you could throw some recent mgrs. in there, too), make suckass trades, and over hype their young players till visions of superstars everywhere dance in our heads...
and each year it's back to business, problems as apparent and as bad as ever, unresolved again.
Where the hell has the pressure been? I wish there was some around this team, instead of the zombies that inhabit the LA dugout season after season.
Might as well be Haiti.

IBleedBlue15
07-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Just give me someone that can hit a home-run. Pierre and Hu for Dunn isn't that bad of a trade.

AZDodgersFan
07-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I took a moment to look at the numbers and stats of the top five HR hitting lefthanded batter in the MLB and here are the results:

Name HR 2B 3B RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG
Utley 23 23 3 65 36 51 .297 .384 .610
Berkman 22 27 3 68 44 51 .365 .448 .699
A Gonzalez 21 15 1 68 33 70 .288 .358 .530
Dunn 20 11 0 48 66 88 .221 .387 .502
Howard 20 12 2 68 42 114 .215 .310 .460

Now I am only looking at the stats and see two things that jump out at me: walks and OBP. I am neither for or against a trade for Dunn, but if he was in the Dodgers lineup, Dunn would have the second highest OBP on the club next to Martin's .405 OBP. Sandwich Dunn between Martin and Kent and who know what could happen. And Yes, I know that his defense skills are crappy.
Just my two cents worth.

dave
07-01-2008, 08:58 AM
combined! Also if you leave out martin he has more homers than the dodgers infield combined. Now about that trade?

swells2048
07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
combined! Also if you leave out martin he has more homers than the dodgers infield combined. Now about that trade?

but 12 out of 19 are solo shots. look deeper into the stats and you will see he isn't a game changer. There is more to the game than HR.

If the trade is Pierre (doubtful now that he is hurt) and Hu and maybe a another minor leaguer then I'm fine with it because we can let Dunn walk at the end of the year and we rid ourselves or Pierres bad contract.

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Can't trade someone on the DL anyway, we missed our window over a year ago when Dusty wanted him. This trade was probably bull (like most things from Ken's articles), btw we are 29th in SLG.

dan1to
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Beaver you beat me to it.

Dunn would only be here for the rest of the season and after that we get 2 draft picks for letting him walk. At the same time we move Pierre off the books allowing Jones, Kemp, Ethier and DY to be our outfield for 2009.

I cant see this trade happening now that Pierre is injured for the first time in his career (great timing JP) but it looked to be a great lopsided trade for us. Not because Dunn is the greatest pickup, but because what we could clear in the trade.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd do it. We have another young SS in the minors behind Hu that's pretty good so we can trade Hu, sign Furcal to a 2-3 yr extension and coddle the kid in the minors until he's ready. Also, just in case furcal can't get healthy we have berrora and Maza. Heck, even LaRoche might be able to play a lil SS and Martin too. I do this trade, we need a left handed power hitter.

lynchgagne
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
like i said before... **** all u dunn nay sayers.. again u cant go wrong with 100 rbi 40 hr and a obp of 400

swells2048
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
like i said before... **** all u dunn nay sayers.. again u cant go wrong with 100 rbi 40 hr and a obp of 400

Yeah, because the Reds have all those championship banners with him on the team.

dodgers07champs
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, because the Reds have all those championship banners with him on the team.

Yeah, because Dunn has such a great supporting cast on the Reds..even Arod couldn't get that sorry team into the postseason.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah with A-rod gettign near triple crowns every year in Texas he didn't even make the playoffs. One player can't make a baseball team but one player on a team on the verge like the dodger can propel them there. Ala Kirk Gibson...could Adam Dunn be our Kirk Gibson 20 years later? It's possible...

swells2048
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, because Dunn has such a great supporting cast on the Reds..even Arod couldn't get that sorry team into the postseason.

Is the supporting cast better here? I mean every day there is a new thread about how we need to DFA someone or that they suck. They are 39-45 we are 38-44.

My point is, one player isn't going to change things. Bringing in Dunn isn't going to make us WS contenders. He isn't a difference maker.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Is the supporting cast better here? I mean every day there is a new thread about how we need to DFA someone or that they suck. They are 39-45 we are 38-44.

My point is, one player isn't going to change things. Bringing in Dunn isn't going to make us WS contenders. He isn't a difference maker.

INB4 "OMGLOLWTFBBQ HE HITS 40 HRs A SEASON!!!"

:D

c2thab
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
40 HR's a season is nice....but we dont need Will Ferrell's brother. Anyone remember Jeromy Burnitz? How did that deadline deal work out for us? Once all of our "missing parts" come back I think everyone in the offense will benefit.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
40 HR's a season is nice....but we dont need Will Ferrell's brother. Anyone remember Jeromy Burnitz? How did that deadline deal work out for us? Once all of our "missing parts" come back I think everyone in the offense will benefit.

Lol I know I was being sarcastic.

swells2048
07-01-2008, 02:25 PM
INB4 "OMGLOLWTFBBQ HE HITS 40 HRs A SEASON!!!"

:D

Wow, did that make your HR pants go crazy. I've posted before, 12 of 20 HRs are solo shots.

Last 19 of 40

The year before that 23 of 40. He's solo HR hitter. He hits POORLY w/ RISP(.236 over the last 3 years). He hits POORLY close and late (.226 over the last 3 years). From 2005-2007 62 of 120 HRs were solo shots and 42 more 2 run HRs. 85% of his HRs resulted in 2 runs or less. And considering he is piss poor in clutch situations, those HRs meant very little in regards to the outcome of the game.

c2thab
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Lol I know I was being sarcastic.

I know....that was more for all the Dunn lovers who mention his 40 HR a year power.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, did that make your HR pants go crazy. I've posted before, 12 of 20 HRs are solo shots.

Last 19 of 40

The year before that 23 of 40. He's solo HR hitter. He hits POORLY w/ RISP(.236 over the last 3 years). He hits POORLY close and late (.226 over the last 3 years). From 2005-2007 62 of 120 HRs were solo shots and 42 more 2 run HRs. 85% of his HRs resulted in 2 runs or less. And considering he is piss poor in clutch situations, those HRs meant very little in regards to the outcome of the game.

I think you missed the point, I was being sarcastic. We're both in the same camp of "let's NOT trade for Dunn".

dodgers07champs
07-01-2008, 02:55 PM

So we shouldn't go after one player because they won't bring a great improvement to the club? If that is the case, then why bother signing anyone..not 1 player will make this team WS contenders, but they can help the team improve. I'd have to check the numbers, but I am pretty sure Dunn would be near the top when it comes to OBP if you compared him to our starters. OBP is far more important than average, and sure he may K alot, but an out is an out...so does it really matter? He could go 1-4 with a 2 r HR and 3 Ks, and be a big difference maker for us..and if we only had to give up Pierre and Hu as it was tossed out, then it should be a no brainer.

dodgers07champs
07-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Dunn is hitting 224, but has a 388 OBP..20 HR and 48 RBI. Kemp is hitting hitting 284 with a 331 OBP..7 HR and 43 RBI. Ethier 271..334 OBP, 7 HRs and 32 RBI. And Pierre is hitting 227 with a 327 OBP..0 HRs and 24 RBI. His average isn't nearly as good, but who gives a ****? OBP is far more important, and Dunn crushes everyone in that stat, not to mention has more HRs and RBIs. He out does all of our OFs by at least .050 in OBP, has more HRs than all of our OF combined..and would lead our team in RBIs..

swells2048
07-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I think you missed the point, I was being sarcastic. We're both in the same camp of "let's NOT trade for Dunn".

sorry, I got it later.

dodgers07champs
So we shouldn't go after one player because they won't bring a great improvement to the club? If that is the case, then why bother signing anyone..not 1 player will make this team WS contenders, but they can help the team improve. I'd have to check the numbers, but I am pretty sure Dunn would be near the top when it comes to OBP if you compared him to our starters. OBP is far more important than average, and sure he may K alot, but an out is an out...so does it really matter? He could go 1-4 with a 2 r HR and 3 Ks, and be a big difference maker for us..and if we only had to give up Pierre and Hu as it was tossed out, then it should be a no brainer.

I'm ok if its Pierre and Hu. I agree that OBP is better than average, but even still you have to look at the whole picture. The guy is piss poor on defense, doesn't hit w/ RISP, and is a solo HR hitter. You posted the stats. He has 13 more HRs than Kemp but only 5 more RBIs? That is pathetic. Again 13 more HRs than Ethier, and 16 more RBIs.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
but what's the one thing we need on this team? Power right? That would definately add to it. And look at who Dunn has in front of him, he doesnt have a furcal or even a juan pierre. I think having dunn bat 4th behind kemp would make kemp better as they would rather go at kemp than dunn so he'd see more fastballs I'd love to see what he would do on this team. and if all we have to do is give up those two players, why not do it and see if it works, we're not losign much.

c2thab
07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I understand the whole Dunn has a better OBP than everyone. Martin has a better OBP than Dunn and what has that accomplished? When our offense cant improve their situational hitting it really doesnt matter whos on base. He has such a high OBP because of the fact he walks a lot due to there being no one else in that line-up that strikes fear in anyones eyes. Sure Griffey is there but he is obviously not the same hitter he was in years past. Like I read in a post earlier...a lot of Dunns HR's are solo shots or come in games where they are winning by a lot of down by a lot. I see him as a guy who if he came here, would be up in key situations often and be unsuccessful.

Granted half everyone here hates Pierre or his contract but the fact is look what happened last night. I am 100% certain he wouldnt have struck out 4 (should have been 5) times and would have atleast put the ball in play. Would it have made a difference if he were in there? Maybe, maybe not but I am certain we will see how much he is missed until Raffy comes back. Everyone talks about his noodle arm and how many times hes givin up extra bases due to it, but by that same token how many more doubles maybe even triples would Dunn give up due to his lack of speed and horrible defense? Sure Andruw covers a lot of ground but do we really need him to play center and left center on a surgically repaired knee? Pierre can cover that ground and make things easier for him.

Once everyone comes back from their injuries a line-up with Furcal and Pierre will drive opposing pitchers crazy with their SB ability and flat out speed.

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
but what's the one thing we need on this team? Power right? That would definately add to it. And look at who Dunn has in front of him, he doesnt have a furcal or even a juan pierre. I think having dunn bat 4th behind kemp would make kemp better as they would rather go at kemp than dunn so he'd see more fastballs I'd love to see what he would do on this team. and if all we have to do is give up those two players, why not do it and see if it works, we're not losign much.

The Reds have two Pierres on their team, Patterson and Freel. That was part of their problem for much of the season before they added Bruce.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I understand the whole Dunn has a better OBP than everyone. Martin has a better OBP than Dunn and what has that accomplished? When our offense cant improve their situational hitting it really doesnt matter whos on base. He has such a high OBP because of the fact he walks a lot due to there being no one else in that line-up that strikes fear in anyones eyes. Sure Griffey is there but he is obviously not the same hitter he was in years past. Like I read in a post earlier...a lot of Dunns HR's are solo shots or come in games where they are winning by a lot of down by a lot. I see him as a guy who if he came here, would be up in key situations often and be unsuccessful.

Granted half everyone here hates Pierre or his contract but the fact is look what happened last night. I am 100% certain he wouldnt have struck out 4 (should have been 5) times and would have atleast put the ball in play. Would it have made a difference if he were in there? Maybe, maybe not but I am certain we will see how much he is missed until Raffy comes back. Everyone talks about his noodle arm and how many times hes givin up extra bases due to it, but by that same token how many more doubles maybe even triples would Dunn give up due to his lack of speed and horrible defense? Sure Andruw covers a lot of ground but do we really need him to play center and left center on a surgically repaired knee? Pierre can cover that ground and make things easier for him.

Once everyone comes back from their injuries a line-up with Furcal and Pierre will drive opposing pitchers crazy with their SB ability and flat out speed.

Check my sig, I am doing a scientific project:D

The 6-4-3
07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Check my sig, I am doing a scientific project:D

hahahah.... good sig. going to the highlight of the year