PDA

View Full Version : Cubs considering ending the 71 year tradition of the "L" flag

croce_99
06-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Tribune- (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080627-ozzie-guillen-chicago-cubs-white-sox,1,480312.story)

The Cubs are considering ending the 71-year-old tradition of flying the "L" flag atop the scoreboard in Wrigley Field after Cubs losses, thinking it's an anachronism.

Former owner P.K. Wrigley began the tradition of raising a "W" flag for a Cubs win and an "L" flag for a Cubs loss in 1937 so riders on the L would know the result of the game.

While no one would speak on the record, Cubs management believes the tradition is dated and it's not good business to advertise a Cubs loss. The decision has not been finalized, but unless there's a large outcry from Cubs fans, it appears to be a done deal.

And in other news....

The Sox draped a blue L flag over the front desk in their ballpark lobby after Friday's victory in a not-so-subtle shot at their crosstown rivals.
Stay classy southside....stay classy!

poodski
06-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Thats stupid.

Then they should end the W as well.

behindmydesk
06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't like it, but I can see where they are coming from. Of course from a team nicknamed the loveable losers, why do this.

cowboydoc45
06-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Why mess with tradition... The flags are a great idea. I don't live in Chicago, but I think it would be amazing to be going past Wrigley and be able to see what the last game result was... especially if I hadn't been able to watch or listen to it.

Jack_Bauer
06-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I think you can get a pretty good idea if they lost when you don't see a W flag flying atop the scoreboard

bullcubbear23
06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
I really dont think it matters but i dont know why they'd make a big deal out of it

cubswoo
06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Keep it or get rid of it who cares? Now you might have a problem if they wanted to get rid of the W flag.
Nobody cares abot the L flag. All everyone wants to see is the White W flag being raised after a Cubs win. It's not like everyone stays in the stadium after a loss just waiting to see that blue L flag go up.
I don't see souvineer stands selling L flags like they do W flags.
Well I guess it won't be an issue if the Cubs just win every single home game but I wouldn't call it one of the great Wrigley Field traditions.

Acronym
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it's a huge cop out if they keep the W's but lose the L's. You shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too. Teams lose sometimes.

It's another way the commercialization of the game is becoming worse and worse all the time.

How many fields do we have left not named after a company? I mean, at least Wrigley has had that name forever, whether or not it's related to the gum.

jlinchec
06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Do the win/loss flags stay up following an off day? If not, you can't get rid of the loss flag. Or you couldn't tell the difference between a loss and a day off.

Bigstevo4000
06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
well i certainly dont think that it hurts business by putting an L flag up.... current and past revenues would show that. Its part of the history... leave it!

Cullksinikers
06-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Well if we win games, we don't have to worry about the L Flag.

Cubsfan23
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
The Sox organization are the biggest piece of *******'s I have ever witnessed. Drapping an L in there lobby cause they beat us on friday. Hey ******* Nuts why do you worry about your team instead of trying to get the city to turn on us. Its not going to happen so give up already. Your like that F***ing ex-girlfriend that always takes the oppertunity to bash you when anyone brings up your name. You just look bitter. F***en idoits...

mac11
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Back on the topic, and somewhat in relation to my last post, if you insist on flying the 'W' flag you had better be prepared to accept having to fly the 'L' flag as well.

This shouldn't be much of an issue for you guys this year, considering the current home record. Unless you Cub fans are worried it might not hold up?

behindmydesk
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Well Mac, the thing is it's not required by anyone to do anything. You make it like it's a law or a rule by MLB to do both. If the cubs dont' want to do it they dont' have to. WHile I say keep up the tradition, I def can see why they dont' want to advertise losses.

behindmydesk
06-30-2008, 02:42 PM
It has nothing to do with law. It has to do with honor. You have to take the good with the bad. Don't be a bunch of ****ing cry babies about your team losing.:cry:

No you make it out like it's required, that if you have the W you have to have the L. That simply is not babies.

Also just a little newbie advice for you, if you want to constantly bait, you should do it in the Sox forum, you are less likely to get an infraction. We have whitesox fans that come in here, and don't just purposely say degrading things about the cubs.

Max Power
06-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Jees, the overblown crosstown series that exists so the Sox can get three sellouts a year is over.
It's time to crawl back under your rocks, now.

mac11
06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
No you make it out like it's required, that if you have the W you have to have the L. That simply is not babies.

Also just a little newbie advice for you, if you want to constantly bait, you should do it in the Sox forum, you are less likely to get an infraction. We have whitesox fans that come in here, and don't just purposely say degrading things about the cubs.

Again, it's not anything about what you have to do. Its about what you should. If you are going to be boastful enough to fly the flag when you win you should have enough pride to stand behind your team when you lose. If you can't take it both ways then, yes, you are babies. Just like Macho Big Z. He want's to chest thump himself when he gets a big strike out but throws a temper tantrum when someone hits a bomb off him and trots around the bases real slowly and makes a big show out of it.

Jees, the overblown crosstown series that exists so the Sox can get three sellouts a year is over.
It's time to crawl back under your rocks, now.

I see so we are back to the attendance thing? In case you hadn't noticed thats not really an issue anymore.

And, OMGLOLBBQ, I can't imagine why a fan wouldn't go out and spend his hard earned money on a team that doesn't put a winning ball club on the field.

That was the best part of the last 25 years of this rivalry. Watching the cubs sell out game after game while they had nothing but single A caliber talent and over the hill geriatrics on the roster so they could keep the payroll as low as possible. not even trying to do anything for their fans because the fans just kept opening their wallets, regardless. THAT was great. It's been that way much longer than that but I was not around to see it.

Bambino
06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Publicizing a 'L'oss always seemed stupid to me, but it fits in with the Cubs' lovable loser image. Still, I'd dump it in a second if I was in charge over there. I'd fly the 'W' on days we win, and fly nothing after losses.

BAM

Max Power
06-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I have always enjoyed the "loyalty is bad thing" theory used by the Cubs obsessed, fireworks loving dolts known as White Sox "fans"

mac11
06-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I have always enjoyed the "loyalty is bad thing" theory used by the Cubs obsessed, fireworks loving dolts known as White Sox "fans"

who ever said loyalty was a bad thing? It's the blind stupidity we like to laugh at.

No where else in the league do fans cut teams breaks like the cubs do. When Baltimore goes in the toilet, fans quit going to games. When either of the NY teams even hit a 20 game rough patch in the middle of a playoff season everybody in town rips them up and down.

Look around, you are the only people that piss money at your team when they don't put that money out on the field for you.

Granted the are purging money like the government right now but it's the first time in...30...50 years?

Cullksinikers
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
The Cubs can prevent the L flag from going up you know. They just need to win and we won't have to woory about this dumb tradition and White Sox fans bragging the Cubs lost a game.

AlwaysNextYear
06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
eh, id rather them end the other tradition they have going ya know the one thats been going on for 100 years ya that one!

Cubboy
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
The Sox fans 'Don't show up for a bad team' theory was kind of blown away last season when they had their 3rd best attendance figure in their over 100 year existance for an incredibly bad team. It appears that they actually show up more when they do suck, according to those figures.

Just another lie perpetuated by the green hat wearing retards.

bearsandcubsfan
06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
who ever said loyalty was a bad thing? It's the blind stupidity we like to laugh at.

No where else in the league do fans cut teams breaks like the cubs do. When Baltimore goes in the toilet, fans quit going to games. When either of the NY teams even hit a 20 game rough patch in the middle of a playoff season everybody in town rips them up and down.

Look around, you are the only people that piss money at your team when they don't put that money out on the field for you.

Granted the are purging money like the government right now but it's the first time in...30...50 years?

See the actual attendance records in August and September of 2006. There were plenty of people who were pissed and did not go to games.

As Max Power said go crawl back under your rock.

Brewersin08
06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
With the age of the cellular phone and internet upon us, this seems like a rather outdated tradition. But I have to agree with mac, if you're going to put the W flag out, you should also display the L. Either stop the tradition completely, or keep it up.

Max Power
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
So should teams who put a flag for winning the pennant, also put one proclaimimg the years that that they didn't?

cubsfan9124
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Keep it it's a good tradition.

Theriot2
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I really don't care if they put they "L" flag away. I would love to keep the tradition, but I would be mad if they stopped putting up the "W" flag.

Brewersin08
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
So should teams who put a flag for winning the pennant, also put one proclaimimg the years that that they didn't?

No, that would be silly. ;) But the whole point of this tradition is to tell the fans if the Cubs won or lost. If you keep the W flag people will still know the Cubs lost because the W flag won't be out. So why don't you just hang the L? It's really a stupid thing to argue about. It's a 71 year old tradition, just leave it alone.

Winners!
07-01-2008, 01:20 AM
The momentum is building with the fans support! Go to www.losethelflag.com and have your voice be heard. Chicago Cubs: "Lovable Loser No More"!