PDA

View Full Version : Hendrick Motorsports releases Casey Mears at the end of the season



redsox12
06-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Hendrick Motorsports once again will have to find a driver for the No. 5 Chevrolet, and Casey Mears once again will have to find a new ride.

Hendrick Motorsports officially parted ways with Mears on Friday, announcing that the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver will not return to the No. 5 team next season.

“We’ve put a ton of emphasis on the No. 5 program,” Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement. “It’s been a total team effort, and Casey has worked as hard as anyone to help us improve. We’ve tested more than we ever have, but the results just haven’t come.”

Mears, 30, has struggled mightily since signing with Hendrick Motorsports for the 2007 season. In 52 starts with the Chevy-based powerhouse team, Mears has just six top-five finishes and 13 top-10s. His lone career victory came last year at the Coca-Cola 600.

“None of us, Casey included, have been satisfied with the situation this season,” Hendrick said. “But he’s confident there are other options out there for him in 2009, and we feel like Hendrick Motorsports will have some opportunities, too.”

“I know the effort has been there, but we haven’t had the finishes to show for it,” Mears added. “I’ve never tested this much or put more energy into racing. But for whatever reason, we just haven’t been able to make it click.”

After finishing 15th in last year’s series standings, Mears was moved from Hendrick’s No. 25 team to the No. 5 car, which had been piloted by Kyle Busch.

Three-time series runner-up Mark Martin, who currently is running a part-time Sprint schedule with Dale Earnhardt Inc., reportedly has been tabbed as Mears’ eventual replacement at Hendrick Motorsports, which already boasts an impressive driver list of Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

A six-year Sprint veteran, Mears admitted he has just begun the process of finding a new team for the second time in three years. The California native spent his first four seasons with Chip Ganassi Racing before signing with Hendrick Motorsports prior to the 2007 campaign.

“I’ll talk to people about opportunities and get my 2009 plans wrapped up soon,” he said. “But I’m also focused on the next 20 races and finishing 2008 on a positive note.”

Mears, the nephew of four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Rick Mears, has made 196 career starts with Hendrick Motorsports and Chip Ganassi Racing, collecting 12 top-five finishes and 39 top-10s.

yahoo.com

wow I'm still thinking Brad Keselowski

Driven
06-28-2008, 12:03 AM
I bet it's Martin and Keselowksi, which would stupid, in my opinion.

But this is going to be a domino effect. We're going to hear a lot of moves and rumors about the 5 car, Mears, RCRs car, Stewart, Truex, and all the other possibly storyline every day now.

redsox12
06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope it's Keselowksi, he's a good driver. It won't be Stewart, if he's mad about being 3rd at JGR. He won't like being 4th at Hendrick.

nascar10294
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Mark Martain will be in the 5, Kesalowski (7 races), Cassil (7), and David Stremme (all but the 14 for the other 2) split the 70 car and Stewart drives the 66.

For '10 who ever does better between Kesalowski and Cassil drives the 5

18colts29
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
:clap: