PDA

View Full Version : Lebron to Boston?

Ewagner
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
This i just think is fun but does have a bit of merit. Lebron can opt out of his contract following the 09-10 season. which strangely enough is the last year of ray allen and scalabrine's contracts. that would give us 21 million to sign him. we would still have pierce under contract for the following year and garnett for two. perkins would be under contract and rondo would have a 3.8 qualifying offer. pierce would count 21 million on the books. would pierce take a longer contract at a cheaper price if we could bring in lebron? just something to kick around for the next two years.

rufo4100
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Interesting, but just because those players come off the books doesnt meant we can sign a player for that same amount of money. For example if Ray has 17 million come off the books and Scal has 3 million come off the books that doesnt neccessarily mean we can spend 20 million on free agents. That isnt the way the NBA salary cap works. YOu have to be that much under the salary cap in order to sign free agents(inless your using mid level exceptions etc...), not what is coming off the books. As of right now(and a lot can change in 2 years) the Celtics will have some salary cap space but not as much as your post makes it seem like.

Are there any salary cap "experts" who can help me out here.

Your idea is intersting though, and certainly fun to think about.

Ewagner
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
i think i understand what you are saying. pierce and garnett will each get 2 million dollar raises. the only problems is i don't know what the cap will be then. that was also why i had suggested pierce extending his contract at a discount to maybe get lebron.

Global Celtic
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
We have already hired a "small" LeBron: Bill Walker.

AntiG
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Interesting, but just because those players come off the books doesnt meant we can sign a player for that same amount of money. For example if Ray has 17 million come off the books and Scal has 3 million come off the books that doesnt neccessarily mean we can spend 20 million on free agents. That isnt the way the NBA salary cap works. YOu have to be that much under the salary cap in order to sign free agents(inless your using mid level exceptions etc...), not what is coming off the books. As of right now(and a lot can change in 2 years) the Celtics will have some salary cap space but not as much as your post makes it seem like.

Are there any salary cap "experts" who can help me out here.

Your idea is intersting though, and certainly fun to think about.

There's a level of threshold that a team can be over the cap (forget the percentage)... hence why teams can trade and go over the cap and then pay a luxury tax in return (like what we are doing now).

Likely scenario IF LeBron wanted to come here badly enough, the Celtics probably would do a sign and trade deal with Cleveland where they'd send Giddens, maybe Perk, another medium level salary backup and a 1st in order to get him.

But dayyammmmm to have LeBron-Pierce-KG as the new big 3... :speechless:

However, another way to do it without sacrificing so much is to have KG and Pierce take large paycuts, which they probably would be willing to do to a certain level to add LeBron.

bosox1899
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
We have already hired a "small" LeBron: Bill Walker.

yes, but lebron is proven and probably better than Bill Walker; however, Walker is millions of dollars cheaper and we don't really need another star shooter. Even though we had Ray Allen and KG with Pierce, they were willing to sacrifice their scoring since they are getting up there in age, I don't think Lebron would sacrifice his only asset to a team which is scoring.

K2OB4E
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
yes, b[CODE]ut lebron is proven and probably better than Bill Walker; however, Walker is millions of dollars cheaper and we don't really need another star shooter. Even though we had Ray Allen and KG with Pierce, they were willing to sacrifice their scoring since they are getting up there in age, I don't think Lebron would sacrifice his only asset to a team which is scoring.

Probably? LeBron is and always will be.

ZHAKIDD532
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
That summer at this point the Celtics are about $15 million dollar under the cap. However, that's with just 3 players under contract (Garnett, Pierce, Perkins)

Afridi786
06-27-2008, 07:00 PM
yes, but lebron is proven and probably better than Bill Walker; however, Walker is millions of dollars cheaper and we don't really need another star shooter. Even though we had Ray Allen and KG with Pierce, they were willing to sacrifice their scoring since they are getting up there in age, I don't think Lebron would sacrifice his only asset to a team which is scoring.

Probably?!?!?!

Say NO to drugs.

rufo4100
06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
That summer at this point the Celtics are about $15 million dollar under the cap. However, that's with just 3 players under contract (Garnett, Pierce, Perkins)

Good point, and the Celts will want to be competetive the next few years so they will probably have other players under contract.

Shock & Awe....
06-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Are we really saying no to one of the best players in the game because we bought a rookie that was drafted in the middle of second round?

Ragun
06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Boston would still be over the cap because they have to resign Rondo and Perkins.

Ewagner
06-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Boston would still be over the cap because they have to resign Rondo and Perkins.

Perkin's will actually still be under contract for another year so his contract is locked. rondo will have a 3.8 qualifing offer. i can see him maybe getting 5.0. he is a good role player not a superstar and will be paid that way.

vince wilfort
06-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Why wait? LeBron for all Celtics draft picks for the next ten years. Not really, but this is interesting to think about.

Jeremy5150
06-27-2008, 10:41 PM
No thanks.

Boston does not need the "greatest player..." They need 15 good players working together. Boston beat Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, Paul, Kidd....line 'em up and knock 'em down. We don't need 'em.

I would take 5 Leon Powes and James Poseys over 1 Lebron any day of the week.

Jeremy5150
06-27-2008, 10:46 PM

You don't need "better than Lebron"...you need "a guy who bothers Lebron's shots..."

We got guys like that already:) Good Defense makes $17 million dollar players shoot like $1 million dollar players. Just ask Kobe and Lebron:)

bosox1899
06-27-2008, 11:36 PM

Probably?!?!?!

Say NO to drugs.

yea i know i, poor choice of words :D, but you never know someday Walker could be almost or just as good if given the opportunity, though unlikely its never impossible, look at Jordan when he was cut at UNC, no one would ever figure he'd be one of the best if not the best in the history of the NBA.

raiderdell
06-28-2008, 12:09 AM
No thanks.

Boston does not need the "greatest player..." They need 15 good players working together. Boston beat Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, Paul, Kidd....line 'em up and knock 'em down. We don't need 'em.

I would take 5 Leon Powes and James Poseys over 1 Lebron any day of the week.

5 lebrons would kick that butt!!!! lol

LakeShowRaider
06-28-2008, 01:45 AM
yea and then karl malone will come out of retirement and be your backup power forward! lol

LakeShowRaider
06-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Jordan was actually cut from the varsity team in his high school, not at UNC. :smoking:

yea i know i, poor choice of words :D, but you never know someday Walker could be almost or just as good if given the opportunity, though unlikely its never impossible, look at Jordan when he was cut at UNC, no one would ever figure he'd be one of the best if not the best in the history of the NBA.

ny sucks
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Remember, KG and Pierce will be older. I don't really see lebron coming here anyway.

bbhsginner25
06-30-2008, 01:06 AM
see the reason lebron is going to new york is because of the clause in his NIKE contract taht will pay him an extra 40M or so if he does. so boston has no chance what do ever to sign him./

Ewagner
06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
see the reason lebron is going to new york is because of the clause in his NIKE contract taht will pay him an extra 40M or so if he does. so boston has no chance what do ever to sign him./

well that's an interesting tidbit. it makes sense. is it the same if he goes to chicago or LA?

IndiansFan337
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
This i just think is fun but does have a bit of merit. Lebron can opt out of his contract following the 09-10 season. which strangely enough is the last year of ray allen and scalabrine's contracts. that would give us 21 million to sign him. we would still have pierce under contract for the following year and garnett for two. perkins would be under contract and rondo would have a 3.8 qualifying offer. pierce would count 21 million on the books. would pierce take a longer contract at a cheaper price if we could bring in lebron? just something to kick around for the next two years.

LeBron's not going anywhere.

And you wouldn't be udner the cap anyway, even with Allen & Scalabrine's contracts expiring. You're in the luxury tax right now. Pierce & KG alone put you near the cap....With Perkins, Rondo, Giddens factored in you're probably over the cap with just those 5 guys.

Ewagner
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
LeBron's not going anywhere.

And you wouldn't be udner the cap anyway, even with Allen & Scalabrine's contracts expiring. You're in the luxury tax right now. Pierce & KG alone put you near the cap....With Perkins, Rondo, Giddens factored in you're probably over the cap with just those 5 guys.

one, lebron will not be in cleveland after his contract expires that is a fact.

two, does anyone know what the currect cap is? the contracts on the books currently when lebrons contract expires is under 50. that's if gidden makes under 5 a year which i am assuming he will.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Lebron Is Goin To The Brooklyn Nets Wit Jay Z....i Mean He Is A Roc Boy An Dont Even Rap!!!!

boston_fan_ct
07-03-2008, 05:01 PM
The thought of Lebron in a Celtics uniform is my number one wish for the Celtics in 2010. I am a bit biased and I believe he is the best player in the NBA, and he is in he early 20s. Get him and put good players around him and you are talking dynasty. He is a catalyst and makes everyone around him better.

He seemed to "chum" up to the Celtics, and I have had that thought in the back of my head of him coming to Boston, like I had Larry Bird return to run the C's but Danny kind of put that on hold.

5 Powe's and a Posey over Lebron any day? If you were a GM and I was one too, I would have you on all of my speed dials.

Mentioning Bill Walker in the same breath of Lebron, I think I know what you were saying. You don't like Lebron. I have never heard anyone say Lebron is selfish, when all said and done if Lebron gets out of Cleveland and plays his cards right will go down as one of the best ever. You got to watch Lebron more than a few times, he has it all. No weakness.

However it is most likely just that, a dream. There are many options for Lebron maybe going to NJ or the Knicks with connections to some of the owners, who knows. I am going to enjoy the Celtics as they are now, because after watching 20 years of a train bound for long fall off a high mountain peak us Celtics fans should enjoy this.

World Champs.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
one, lebron will not be in cleveland after his contract expires that is a fact.

two, does anyone know what the currect cap is? the contracts on the books currently when lebrons contract expires is under 50. that's if gidden makes under 5 a year which i am assuming he will.

Facts going for LeBron staying in Cleveland:
1. Cleveland can give LeBron the most money 20 million
2. Cleveland can give him an extra year on his contract
3. Why would he leave friends and family just to go under a spotlight he already lives under..?

Facts going against:
NONE just RUMORS!

vince wilfort
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
3. Why would he leave friends and family just to go under a spotlight he already lives under..?

Facts going against:
NONE just RUMORS!

1. So can the Nets.
2. So can the Nets.
3. Money, championships, a larger market, etc.

bbhsginner25
07-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Facts going against:
NONE just RUMORS!

1. the Nets will be able to offer him the Max deal, so the money will be the same in cleveland as it will be in NY
2. The nets can sign him to the Max deal similar to what Kobe got, same numbers of years
3. not even going to respond, this anwser is just stupid.

reason while lebron will definetally leave

1. he is one of the best players in the NBA, and therefor going to NY will greatly effect his legecy and how people remember him
2. He is a good friend of Nets owner J-Z, and the potential that the nets will have sucking these next few years, adding lottey picks for 2 years and then adding him will far exceed the long term potential of cleveland.
3. the 40M bonus clause in his NIKE deal that will get him a bit more chedder by just changing cities.

so, more money, more fame, more show

case closed

his days are numbered

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
1. the Nets will be able to offer him the Max deal, so the money will be the same in cleveland as it will be in NY
2. The nets can sign him to the Max deal similar to what Kobe got, same numbers of years
3. not even going to respond, this anwser is just stupid.

reason while lebron will definetally leave

1. he is one of the best players in the NBA, and therefor going to NY will greatly effect his legecy and how people remember him
2. He is a good friend of Nets owner J-Z, and the potential that the nets will have sucking these next few years, adding lottey picks for 2 years and then adding him will far exceed the long term potential of cleveland.
3. the 40M bonus clause in his NIKE deal that will get him a bit more chedder by just changing cities.

so, more money, more fame, more show

case closed

his days are numbered

Here's a little logic: NBA rules say the Cavs can offer James one more year and about $20 million more than any other team. This is not baseball, where Boston (Manny Ramirez), the Chicago White Sox (Albert Belle), Philadelphia (Jim Thome) and Texas (Kevin Millwood) can outbid a Cleveland team for its stars on an open market.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1214901066281470.xml&coll=2

NESports2004
07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Lebron wants to win if he goes to NY or NJ or if he stays in CLV he will not win.

If he goes to Boston he will win.

It would probably be the HUGE three and not the big three considering Lebron=just a little bit of an upgrade over RayRay.

And if Danny knows Lebron wants in he will find a way to make it work trust me.

Im buyin my James 23 jersey tomarow in green.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Lebron wants to win if he goes to NY or NJ or if he stays in CLV he will not win.

It would probably be the HUGE three and not the big three considering Lebron=just a little bit of an upgrade over RayRay.

I hope you were sarcastic in some of the things you said.. Why does LeBron have better chance to win in NY or NJ? Please explain.

I'm pretty sure NY is a ship wreck and NJ has a team of unproven players. Are these likely to change by 2010 who knows thats why I don't know how you got that assumption.

bbhsginner25
07-04-2008, 10:25 AM

and how are they going to get him, through a sign and trade...............lol

and then go way over the cap and pay a luxery take, in the kind words of Steven A Smith, THATS JUST STUPID

anyways responding to the guy from cleveland who is trying to rationalize why a superstar should stay in CLEVELAND over NY should accept the facts at hand.

HE GETS 40M EXTRA TO PLAY IN NY FROM NIKE.....................how is cleveland going to top that. so they offer him the max, one more year than NY can offer him..........he still gets 40M extra to go play for J-Z. i mean, ever since he was drafted it was talked about how to get him out of the bumb **** town and into a real basketball city. face it man, you got 164 more games of lebron james. enjoy it while it lasts

boston_fan_ct
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't count on the ownership thing to be a big lure. It is not always smart to mix business with friends and family. Going to a team with lottery picks, that sounds less attractive than the Celtics were when they had lottery picks and only Paul Pierce. No one wanted to go to Boston. I say he opts out and goes to the team with the money and the best chance to win. Can NJ or NY turn it around in 2 years? We shall see but I doubt it.

bbhsginner25
07-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't count on the ownership thing to be a big lure. It is not always smart to mix business with friends and family. Going to a team with lottery picks, that sounds less attractive than the Celtics were when they had lottery picks and only Paul Pierce. No one wanted to go to Boston. I say he opts out and goes to the team with the money and the best chance to win. Can NJ or NY turn it around in 2 years? We shall see but I doubt it.

again, thats just stupid. what did lebron do in cleveland where he has who to play with? i mean comeon, 40M man..............40 **** IN MILLION to play in NY, you don't think that would be a business decision. how about lebron saying that his favorite place in the USA is the bronx.

and about the celtics thing, you need to do some research on how signing free agents work. since the celtics are over the cap they would need to complete a sign and trade to get him..........therefor the whole idea is not logical.............

Lakergirl24
07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
LeBron wants to go to NY/NJ. He wont go to boston

Gordy
07-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think Lebron would want to come to Boston to be honest with you. It would be nice having him and he is amazing but im not sure he would come here out of all places. We know he wants to win and Boston would be a good team to come to for that, but Lebron would also wanna shine on a team that has talent but not star players like we have (meaning Pierce and KG). Thats just what I believe.

_Sn1P3r_
07-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Probably?!?!?!

Say NO to drugs.

Lol. LeBron is always going to be better than Bill Walker.

R3aZoN
07-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Going to Nets.

NESports2004
07-06-2008, 02:42 AM
I hope you were sarcastic in some of the things you said.. Why does LeBron have better chance to win in NY or NJ? Please explain.

I'm pretty sure NY is a ship wreck and NJ has a team of unproven players. Are these likely to change by 2010 who knows thats why I don't know how you got that assumption.

i didnt say NJ or NY he would win with in fact i said or meant to say the opposite it just sounded a bit weird.

Tian Tian Boy
07-06-2008, 05:34 AM
i don't think this will happen

lil'papi
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Lets see how he does in the Olympics. No gold , no GREEN. That team has plenty of talent ....

No matter what team you put him on you lose salary for other players. He takes up too much payroll, plain and simple. By then we might have two or three titles anyway. We'd just be greedy. :D

As GREAT as he is.....it always comes down to TEAM. He almost pulled it off once in Cleveland. If they could afford more talent to put around him , they can't.

Simple really.

Ainge ain't buying it.