PDA

View Full Version : Braves Thinking About Barry Bonds?????

laxman1017
06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I got this article off Mlbtraderumors.com....and let me say, if he will take a pro-rate league minimum, and in doing this you can get liberty to take all the money we make and put it BACK into the team next year....which means signing Tex and maybe a big name guy....I am for it, regarless of the nonsense he would create

Do It! Why the Braves Should Sign Barry Bonds
When I first heard the news that Barry Bonds is willing to play for the league minimum I laughed: there’s no way would the Braves do this. Right? But I the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the Braves need to make this move. Here are my reasons for Bonds joining the Braves, along with rebuttals to potential objections.

The outfield. Forget Bonds as a designated hitter. The Braves outfield is so bad that it reminds me of my first impressions of outfielders from T-ball. Since the ball never made it to the outfield, the good players always played infield. I remember when I found out that Reggie Jackson played outfield and I said to my dad, “I thought he was good.” Well, the Braves outfield would never have changed my expectations. Brandon Jones, Gregor Blanco, and Jeff Francoeur: that is the worst outfield in the majors, by far. One of these guys has to bat in the six hole. Barry Bonds erases a giant hole in the lineup.

Won’t Bonds be a defensive liability in the outfield? My grandfather used to say, “What you lack in your head, you make up in your heels.” In Bonds’s case, we should add, “What you lack in your heels, you make up with your bat.” Seriously, Bonds’s OPS of 1.045 is not a minor improvement. According to Plus/Minus, Barry Bonds allowed 11 hits more than the average left fielder in 842 innings last year. He was +5 in 2006. In comparison, Jeff Francoeur has allowed six hits more than the average right fielder in 689 innings this season. Yes, Barry isn’t a great outfielder, he’s not so bad that you can’t play him.

But didn’t Bill James point out that many excellent players are good in their next-to-last season but terrible in their last season? Yes, that’s not surprising. When you are old, and have a bad season it’s likely going cause you to stop putting forth the effort needed to get into playing shape. The problem with this type of analysis is that we don’t know if this is Bonds’s last season. What if he plays for three more years? The fact that Bonds posted a 1.045 OPS last year is good information that he is still an excellent player. His performances may slip, but he’ll have to slip awfully far to catch Golden Boy at .701.

What about that trial? Not a problem. The prosecutors have bungled the case so badly that the earliest his trial will begin is after the season.

Steroids. He’s been a good player even since testing was instituted. Barry Bonds is a good player without performance-enhancing drugs.

No, I meant the taint of steroids. Oh, that! Fans may talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk. Let’s do a quick little thought experiment. What will happen to attendance if Bonds suits up at Turner Field? If you think it will go down, slap yourself and think again. Is that better? Two things will happen if Bonds puts on the Tomahawk. First, fans will flock to the novelty, and Braves fans can stop complaining that ESPN never shows Braves highlights—which isn’t even true. Fans will pay money to bring in magic-marker asterisks on poster board and chant “BALCO, BALCO.” This reminds me of my friend who had to take his sister to a New Kids on the Block concert. He reported that there was someone holding a sign that said “New Kids Suck”. Then why did you buy a ticket, you clod. Second, the Braves will win more games, and the team will have a legitimate shot at the post-season. Let’s face it, folks: the Ted is dead. Other than a Frenchy at-bat or when some idiot tries to start the wave—the wave is for football and basketball and is completely inappropriate at a baseball game (I’m talking to you shirtless guy with the backwards hat who is screaming “dude, get up!”)—the Braves game is a good way to get some peace an quiet. Bonds will cause a tremendous attendance boost. If you are still skeptical, give yourself another slap.

What about the legacy of Hank Aaron? This is the biggest obstacle, and I used to think it would keep Bonds out of Atlanta. But come on, folks. What damage will be done by Bonds playing half a season with Atlanta? What team did Hank Aaron play for? The Braves. The fact that he spent his final seasons on the Brewers didn’t make him a Brewer. Barry Bonds is a Giant. Playing one season with the Braves won’t make him a Brave any more than Babe Ruth’s last season with the Braves did. His legacy is set. And if the Braves make it to the playoffs, fans will remember him positively. Heck, most fans still like Rafael Furcal despite is drunk driving problems. Atlanta is a safer place with Bonds than with Furcal. If you think this will tarnish the legacy of Aaron, get over it. The 755 club isn’t going away anytime soon.

If the Braves are one player away, why not get another player without the Bonds taint? Bonds is asking the pro-rated league minimum. There are no prospects to give up or big salaries to eat. This is one of the best reasons to sign Bonds. The team can improve now, without sacrificing the future. In fact, the additional revenue brought in by Bonds can be used on the free agent market next year.

Won’t Bonds poison the clubhouse chemistry? Bonds is a jerk, but so are a lot of baseball players. Some of these jerks play on this Braves team. One thing that the Braves have been able to do that other teams have not is handle clubhouse problems. Gary Sheffield played two seasons in Atlanta and there was not one issue. Sheffield may be an even bigger jerk than Bonds. Sheff seeks out attention, while Bonds responds when prodded. That won’t happen in Atlanta. Could things go south? Of course, but so what? It’s not like he’s going to sink a contending team. And after the year is up, he will be sent on his merry way.

Check out this lineup.

Kelly Johnson
Mark Teixeira
Barry Lamar Bonds
Chipper Jones
Brian McCann (Holy crap! McCann is batting in the six hole?! Oops! I originally had Escobar at leadoff.)
Yunel Escobar
Gimpy
Wimpy
Pitcher

So, Frank Wren get on the phone to Jeff Borris. The Braves need Barry Bonds. Do it, do it now.

CrippledRam
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Sure why not.

BarnDAWG
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
While I'm not sure I agree with the characterization of "worst OF in basbeball", I can agree that it is in dire need of improvement. I hate Bonds as much of the next guy, but not quite as much as watching my Braves going down in a ball of flames.

Fact of the matter is that Diaz is a defensive liability and a mediocre full-time player. Putting Bonds in left makes too much sense. Bonds can't play every day (and Diaz shouldn't). Both players are great in the clutch and pinch-hitting situations which gives us a premanent late innings option for the duration of the season. I have a hard time believing Bonds is any worse in LF than Diaz.

Say what you will about the bad press that Bonds carries with him. Like he mentioned, people will line up around the corner to come boo and hiss at Bonds. Last I heard, the haters' revenues count the same as the die hard fans (who for the most part would rather watch the game from home).

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
i wouldn't do it b/c this team doesn't need a media circus around it plus i wouldn't do it to hank aaron.

jdiddy24
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I got this article off Mlbtraderumors.com....and let me say, if he will take a pro-rate league minimum, and in doing this you can get liberty to take all the money we make and put it BACK into the team next year....which means signing Tex and maybe a big name guy....I am for it, regarless of the nonsense he would create

Do It! Why the Braves Should Sign Barry Bonds
When I first heard the news that Barry Bonds is willing to play for the league minimum I laughed: there’s no way would the Braves do this. Right? But I the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the Braves need to make this move. Here are my reasons for Bonds joining the Braves, along with rebuttals to potential objections.

The outfield. Forget Bonds as a designated hitter. The Braves outfield is so bad that it reminds me of my first impressions of outfielders from T-ball. Since the ball never made it to the outfield, the good players always played infield. I remember when I found out that Reggie Jackson played outfield and I said to my dad, “I thought he was good.” Well, the Braves outfield would never have changed my expectations. Brandon Jones, Gregor Blanco, and Jeff Francoeur: that is the worst outfield in the majors, by far. One of these guys has to bat in the six hole. Barry Bonds erases a giant hole in the lineup.

Won’t Bonds be a defensive liability in the outfield? My grandfather used to say, “What you lack in your head, you make up in your heels.” In Bonds’s case, we should add, “What you lack in your heels, you make up with your bat.” Seriously, Bonds’s OPS of 1.045 is not a minor improvement. According to Plus/Minus, Barry Bonds allowed 11 hits more than the average left fielder in 842 innings last year. He was +5 in 2006. In comparison, Jeff Francoeur has allowed six hits more than the average right fielder in 689 innings this season. Yes, Barry isn’t a great outfielder, he’s not so bad that you can’t play him.

But didn’t Bill James point out that many excellent players are good in their next-to-last season but terrible in their last season? Yes, that’s not surprising. When you are old, and have a bad season it’s likely going cause you to stop putting forth the effort needed to get into playing shape. The problem with this type of analysis is that we don’t know if this is Bonds’s last season. What if he plays for three more years? The fact that Bonds posted a 1.045 OPS last year is good information that he is still an excellent player. His performances may slip, but he’ll have to slip awfully far to catch Golden Boy at .701.

What about that trial? Not a problem. The prosecutors have bungled the case so badly that the earliest his trial will begin is after the season.

Steroids. He’s been a good player even since testing was instituted. Barry Bonds is a good player without performance-enhancing drugs.

No, I meant the taint of steroids. Oh, that! Fans may talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk. Let’s do a quick little thought experiment. What will happen to attendance if Bonds suits up at Turner Field? If you think it will go down, slap yourself and think again. Is that better? Two things will happen if Bonds puts on the Tomahawk. First, fans will flock to the novelty, and Braves fans can stop complaining that ESPN never shows Braves highlights—which isn’t even true. Fans will pay money to bring in magic-marker asterisks on poster board and chant “BALCO, BALCO.” This reminds me of my friend who had to take his sister to a New Kids on the Block concert. He reported that there was someone holding a sign that said “New Kids Suck”. Then why did you buy a ticket, you clod. Second, the Braves will win more games, and the team will have a legitimate shot at the post-season. Let’s face it, folks: the Ted is dead. Other than a Frenchy at-bat or when some idiot tries to start the wave—the wave is for football and basketball and is completely inappropriate at a baseball game (I’m talking to you shirtless guy with the backwards hat who is screaming “dude, get up!”)—the Braves game is a good way to get some peace an quiet. Bonds will cause a tremendous attendance boost. If you are still skeptical, give yourself another slap.

What about the legacy of Hank Aaron? This is the biggest obstacle, and I used to think it would keep Bonds out of Atlanta. But come on, folks. What damage will be done by Bonds playing half a season with Atlanta? What team did Hank Aaron play for? The Braves. The fact that he spent his final seasons on the Brewers didn’t make him a Brewer. Barry Bonds is a Giant. Playing one season with the Braves won’t make him a Brave any more than Babe Ruth’s last season with the Braves did. His legacy is set. And if the Braves make it to the playoffs, fans will remember him positively. Heck, most fans still like Rafael Furcal despite is drunk driving problems. Atlanta is a safer place with Bonds than with Furcal. If you think this will tarnish the legacy of Aaron, get over it. The 755 club isn’t going away anytime soon.

If the Braves are one player away, why not get another player without the Bonds taint? Bonds is asking the pro-rated league minimum. There are no prospects to give up or big salaries to eat. This is one of the best reasons to sign Bonds. The team can improve now, without sacrificing the future. In fact, the additional revenue brought in by Bonds can be used on the free agent market next year.

Won’t Bonds poison the clubhouse chemistry? Bonds is a jerk, but so are a lot of baseball players. Some of these jerks play on this Braves team. One thing that the Braves have been able to do that other teams have not is handle clubhouse problems. Gary Sheffield played two seasons in Atlanta and there was not one issue. Sheffield may be an even bigger jerk than Bonds. Sheff seeks out attention, while Bonds responds when prodded. That won’t happen in Atlanta. Could things go south? Of course, but so what? It’s not like he’s going to sink a contending team. And after the year is up, he will be sent on his merry way.

Check out this lineup.

Kelly Johnson
Mark Teixeira
Barry Lamar Bonds
Chipper Jones
Brian McCann (Holy crap! McCann is batting in the six hole?! Oops! I originally had Escobar at leadoff.)
Yunel Escobar
Gimpy
Wimpy
Pitcher

So, Frank Wren get on the phone to Jeff Borris. The Braves need Barry Bonds. Do it, do it now.

why in hell would that be the lineup? Tex at 2nd? no

Blanco
Yunel
Chipper
Bonds
Tex
McCann
KJ
Franky
Pitcher

or

Yunel
Kotsay
Chipper
Bonds
Tex
McCann
KJ
Franky
pitcher

metsbulls1025
06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Bonds is a bad idea for any team and don't trust mlbtraderumours unless they get there info from a source like espn or foxsports. That guy over there has had run ins with alot of bloggers about miss imformation on his site.

laxman1017
06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I dodn't know that about the site....great tip. And JDiddy, I thought the same thing. The guy loses a little credibility when he mentions hitting Tex second...that is redic. Honestly though, the biggest part of this is weather or not he would take league minimum. If he would....we are out of our minds not to pursue this. I like a deal for Jason Bay or Matt Holiday better, because it is a long term solution....but that hinges on the Pirates liking the pieces we offer, and accepting something REASONABLE in return. Holiday is probably too expensive either way. But if neither one of those work out....you can pay him league minimum, and we would turn a PROFIT on him alone and what he would bring to the park!!!!! If we are going to do, we have to do it soon while we are still in the race. That would increase ticket sales. If it is a one year deal we have nothing to lose. Media circus be damned.

For the record - Barry took steroids, and I hate his *** (just had to get that off my chest)

metsbulls1025
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
It wouldnt be good PR either especially for the Braves. Home Run Record and all.

rtgthree
06-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Bonds is a bad idea for any team and don't trust mlbtraderumours unless they get there info from a source like espn or foxsports. That guy over there has had run ins with alot of bloggers about miss imformation on his site.

The reason Tim Dierkes of MLBTR has trouble is because of people like you who claim that he comes up with the information that he posts. Did you even go over there and LOOK at the actual post for yourself before you just started bashing the guy?

Actually, MLBTR just has a link to a separate blog (Sabernomics, written by the estimable J.C. Bradbury) who makes the case for the Braves to sign Bonds. There is NOTHING about the Braves being interested and NO claim of factual info. This is simply Mr. Bradbury's own opinion of why the Braves should do it, and all Mr. Dierkes did is give him props by linking to his article.

We'd all appreciate it if you'd read this stuff before you post on it.

As for the actual topic at hand, I have nothing against the Braves signing Barry Bonds for a pro-rated league minimum salary. The Atlanta media is pretty easy to deal with and the Braves have a long history of making bad clubhouse personalities fit in (ahem, Sheffield and J.D. Drew). And there's no doubt Barry would help the team win. I don't like the guy, but I acknowledge how great of a baseball player he is (with or without steroids) and I like winning more than I dislike Bonds.

But all that said, it won't happen. I just don't see a generally conservative organization like the Braves going out on a limb to pull off a stunt like signing Barry Bonds.

laxman1017
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with that....and if you are refering to my posting of the article...I was aware that it was from another source. I jsut found it interesting and entertaining.

robdizzle3
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
i wouldn't do it b/c this team doesn't need a media circus around it plus i wouldn't do it to hank aaron.

Hank Aaron is not involved in a playoff race and isnt out there trying to help us win so I would sign Barry and it would make our lineup so dangerous.Then if we wanted to get an arm we could because we didnt have to give up anything

tomno00
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
if he is willing to play for the league minimun, then why the hell shouldnt we sign him?? atlanta media is nothing.... and the national media... well at least the braves would get talked about more haha and be on espn everyday.. So yes i would sign barry, although im sure he would rather play for an AL team.. but no one seems to want him at the moment... If the braves were smart, they would realize that this guy can still play and could you imagine chip, tex, barry, mccain all hitting back to back.

Lady's Man
06-27-2008, 06:11 PM
^^ not to mention more butts in the seats at da TED

rtgthree
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree with that....and if you are refering to my posting of the article...I was aware that it was from another source. I jsut found it interesting and entertaining.

Notice that I quoted metsbulls and not you.

jmtapia
06-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Ive been saying this all season long. Bonds makes the most sense in LF. I read a report that said Bond's Agent contacted every team and told them Bonds would play for the LM. No body wanted him though.

Id like the idea of giving Bonds a shot. There is still time before the Trade Deadline. If he doesnt work out we have time to trade for some one. Imagine if we can keep Bonds around for another season and then in 2010 turn it over to Heyward....

Here is the Line up i would see if we got Bonds:

Kotsay
Yunel
Chipper
Tex
Bonds
BMac
French
KJ

jmtapia
06-27-2008, 10:34 PM
^^^not only that but having Tex and Bonds there to protect Chipper makes it more probable that Chipper can hit .400!!!!!!!

THE_FLASH_21
06-27-2008, 10:58 PM

I agree with u! Barry Bonds will help us a lot... But it's not fair to HANK!

robdizzle3
06-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Hank isnt helping us right now so I really wouldnt care what he thinks.This is a business and we are tying to win a penannt and a World Series Championship and feelings wont win it from a player who isnt playing for us.I respect Hank and all he has done but this is a business

jmb8311
06-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Hank isnt helping us right now so I really wouldnt care what he thinks.This is a business and we are tying to win a penannt and a World Series Championship and feelings wont win it from a player who isnt playing for us.I respect Hank and all he has done but this is a business

If I recall correctly, Hank, in all of his anti-bonds glory, still congratulated him for breaking the record. Why would he do such a thing? Easy, Hank understands that baseball is a business. He understood it was a good business move to congratulate barry because otherwise he'd look like an old stubborn and spiteful man, not to mention I'm sure he got a nice pay check out of the appearance. Also, as much as Hank may not like Bonds, Bonds has never been anything but grateful and appreciative of Hank. To say the 08 Braves shouldn't look into Bonds in fear of upsetting a former great player is ridiculus. It's 2008, it's a business, and I think Hank would be on board with bringing him in (though this is all a moot point because it's just too much of a good move for the Braves to capitalize).

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 01:33 AM
^^^Agreed I love winning and Bonds would certainly not make us worst.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Check out this lineup.

Kelly Johnson
Mark Teixeira
Barry Lamar Bonds
Chipper Jones
Yunel Escobar
Gimpy
Wimpy
Pitcher

Barry bats 4th. Ever since the Giants moved him to bat cleanup he has never been able to bat 3rd. They tried to move him back to batting 3rd but he slumped big time.

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 01:38 AM
^^^Tex would bat 4th im pretty sure. Maybe Chipper, Tex, Bonds.

robdizzle3
06-28-2008, 01:49 AM
That would be a very dangerous lineup and really no one can be pitched around except of course the 8th gut who is before the pitcher but everywhere else there is no holes

Bravefan29
06-28-2008, 03:47 AM
No thanks, Barry is a cheater has been since the 90's no thank you, we could easily go and get someone else in a trade, no other team in baseball is even attempting to sign Bonds so we are going to sign him, I hope not...I really hope not.

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 05:23 AM
^^^ No it would not be easier to go get someone via a trade. Out of the most rumored OF bats the only ones that provide any sort of drastic impact we are looking for are Jason Bay, Xavier Nady and Matt Holliday. All three of those guys will cost us a bunch of prospects and thus would be harder to get then to offer Bonds a league minimum salary and see what he can do for us.

The positive to all this is that we still have time to try him out there and if it doesnt work out then we can still have time to trade for one of the guys mentioned above.

GLASSMAN
06-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Maybe we should sign Chacon as well, you know to light a fire in our too easy going club house, according to some. If we're going to make it a circus then let's sign all the misfits.
But seriously, I think the baggage may outweigh the benefit.

THE_FLASH_21
06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
I won't lie Bonds will instantly make us the best hitting line-up in the league.
But I doubt Atlanta wants a circus everywhere we go!

Bravefan29
06-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Bonds would be bad for the Atlanta Braves and bad for Baseball, no team in baseball has tried to sign him for a reason.

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 03:23 PM
^^^ sure but he would make a .500 team into a contender right away. Not to mention half a season of Bonds would make signing Tex that much more easier and affordable.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
^^^Tex would bat 4th im pretty sure. Maybe Chipper, Tex, Bonds.

Bonds dosnt produce at his best batting 3rd. For the interest of the Braves, youd probabaly want him batting 4th.

Saltyfan
06-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Why not let him bat fifth.
Right now it would look like
Blanco-who is starting to hit well
Yunel-Great #2 hitter
Chipper-Obviously
Tex
Bonds
McCann
Kelly
Frenchy
That would be great for us. One problem. Lefties would still Kill us. But seriously, Why not let Bonds revive his career in Atlanta. Cant be any worse than Norton. At the least we could use his bat off the bench. For the league minimum. This is a low risk move.

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 06:16 PM
^^Anything over Norton woudl be a gain.

rarryronds
06-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Bonds is a freak. We got a little tired of the media and circus that accompanies him. That was, of course, drawn out over several years. A half a season with him, at that salary, donated... That would be exciting. He can roll out of bed and destroy the baseball.

jdiddy24
06-28-2008, 06:43 PM
ok lets say we do sign him.... who goes? BJ gets sent down when Kotsay comes back... then what do we do? cut Gotay? Well then Diaz is coming back... do we trade him or use him as the backup 1B and cut Norton? Then Prado will be back.... to much musical chairs to think about right now without even adding bonds.

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 06:52 PM
We add Bonds. Send BJ to AAA. Cut Norton and Gotay. Once Prado comes back we send Lilli down. Problem solved. If Bonds doesnt work out we recall BJ and wait for a next move via the trade.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Why not let him bat fifth.
Right now it would look like
Blanco-who is starting to hit well
Yunel-Great #2 hitter
Chipper-Obviously
Tex
Bonds
McCann
Kelly
Frenchy
That would be great for us. One problem. Lefties would still Kill us. But seriously, Why not let Bonds revive his career in Atlanta. Cant be any worse than Norton. At the least we could use his bat off the bench. For the league minimum. This is a low risk move.

Barry Bonds performs best hitting out of the 4th spot in the lineup, plain and simple. If you want to get the most bang for your buck you bat Barry 4th. Also, he would probabaly only play for the Braves if they batted him 4th. Hed already be going somewere he wouldnt prefer being the Braves are a NL team, that plays on the East Coast no less.

tomno00
06-28-2008, 09:22 PM
the only knock i have against bonds is that he is slow and old, making him a defensive liability. if he wants to come here for the league minimum, then im all for it.. this team needs a shake up in the worst way.. maybe it will piss off franceour enough to get him hitting again.

bigmj
07-08-2008, 08:05 AM
With the offense in the toilet, should we consider Barry "*" Bonds???
Here is an interesting argument...

But didn’t Bill James point out that many excellent players are good in their next-to-last season but terrible in their last season?Yes, that’s not surprising. When you are old, and have a bad season it’s likely going cause you to stop putting forth the effort needed to get into playing shape. The problem with this type of analysis is that we don’t know if this is Bonds’s last season. What if he plays for three more years? The fact that Bonds posted a 1.045 OPS last year is good information that he is still an excellent player. His performances may slip, but he’ll have to slip awfully far to catch Golden Boy at .701.

Check out this lineup.

Kelly Johnson
Mark Teixeira
Barry Lamar Bonds
Chipper Jones
Yunel Escobar
Gimpy
Wimpy
Pitcher

Bravefan29
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't think I would ever get into thinking that Bonds is a good idea for the Braves, he is like a cancer in baseball, he was a lanky outfielder who hit for 20+ homers and then he went out got juiced and all of a sudden he was a Big outfielder with 50+ potential. I have heard all the talk that steroids do nothing for a baseball swing that it is all still mechanical. I do agree that the actual act of the swing is mechanical but the outcome is different depending on the muscle being used behind that swing. Now do not get me wrong I think Barry was a great player when he was that lanky outfielder in Pittsburgh and I think even without the steroids he could have definitely been an accomplished hitter over the years, but I think once he started juicing he looses that luster. Just to make myself clear I feel this way about anyone who took steroids to become a bigger star.
But for argument sake lets say the Braves in some insane world were crazy enough to sign the juicer, yes we would more than likely have a jump in attendance and he could probably hit 15 homers in the second half and drive in about 40 or 50 runs, but his taint will follow him, it would not be a very cohesive club house(not like it is right now, but it would be far worse). Oh and regarding your lineup if we did sign this cancer:

Check out this lineup.

Kelly Johnson
Mark Teixeira
Barry Lamar Bonds
Chipper Jones
Yunel Escobar
Gimpy
Wimpy
Pitcher

Lamar would never bat 3rd for the Braves, and you have Teixeria 2nd??
Ok well this is how I would do it:
Leadoff would be Kells and Esco depending on the pitcher
3rd will not change until the man retires Chipper Jones
4th Mark Teixeira
5th Brian McCann
6th Clubhouse Cancer
7th Frency
8th Kotsay or whoever else we use
9th Pitcher

robdogg035
07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
The Braves need Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Mark McGuire...We need all the offensive help we can get!!!....

robdogg035
07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Hell...maybe George Brett would play for us...

Bravefan29
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
:laugh:

BravesFever
07-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Bonds might be a cancer but for one year. considering the shape the braves are already in Bonds could only finish killing the braves which needs to happen, or revive the braves and help get them into the playoffs. I do not see a down side to getting Bonds.

mgcslugger33
07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
If the Braves are serious about staying in the race it would be the best option for use. I do have questions if he would produce. i heard he has lost alot of weight, but It does two things.

Instant Offense and OBP.
No Depleting the Farm System

The Club House Cancer thing is overrated. The team stinks right now and needs something to liven things up. This might actually be a good thing that will take the attention off of the teams poor play.

I would do this in a hot minute if he would play for >1mil

Here is my LIne up
Bonds
Yunel
Chipper
TEx
McCann
Kelly
Francouer
Kotsay

I dont care if he can't run. We don't run anyways.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Believe me you want Barry Batting 4th.

braves790
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
This is the lineup with Bonds in it:

Kots/Kels
Esco
Chipper
Tex
Bonds
Mac
Kots/Kels
Frenchy until he figures **** out

Raetz52
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
We need all the help we can get so why not?

sniglewhat
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
gimme bonds right now. i have wanted this since the offseason

jmtapia
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree Bonds would be a nice addition to our line up. Ive also been preaching this since the beginning of the season. Let me get a crack at the line up bc Tex wont hit first...

Kotsay
Yunel
Chipper
Tex
Bonds
BMac
Frenchy
KJ

If we were to add Bonds. BMac and Frenchy would have to come through big time. They would be getting men on like no other and if they cant come on with runners on then the move would be negated.

sniglewhat
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
you mean bonds?
Here is my lineup
1. Yunel
2. Bonds
3. Chipper
4. Tex
5. BMac
6. Kelly
7. Kots/Blanco
8. Frenchy (until the slump ends)

GLASSMAN
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey, Bonds and Liberty Media, a match made in the board room. Ka ching!

Braves28Herbs7
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Well I know Barry could possibly help us but only on offense. He hasnt played for a while, hes not gunna be in great shape to play in the outfield. And 2. Hank Aaron. No way braves would do that.

jmtapia
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Well I know Barry could possibly help us but only on offense. He hasnt played for a while, hes not gunna be in great shape to play in the outfield. And 2. Hank Aaron. No way braves would do that.

Bonds' an athlete he must be at least jogging every other day. Ill give up 10 or 15 Hits more with him out there for that 4 digit OPS. Also Hank Aaron has nothing to do with the 2008 Braves. He want us to win just as much as i do. I like winning a lot more then Hank Aaron opinion on Bonds.

THE_FLASH_21
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I'll sell my soul to the devil for BONDS!!!

CAIN=FUTURE
07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
you mean bonds?
Here is my lineup
1. Yunel
2. Bonds
3. Chipper
4. Tex
5. BMac
6. Kelly
7. Kots/Blanco
8. Frenchy (until the slump ends)

No

braves790
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
CAIN=FUTURE no offense you seem like a cool *** dude but which forum do you spend more time in this one or the Giants? Cause I can't tell. :p

CAIN=FUTURE
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
CAIN=FUTURE no offense you seem like a cool *** dude but which forum do you spend more time in this one or the Giants? Cause I can't tell. :p

I know im cool, I just wish I could say the same thing about you. :cool:

jmtapia
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM

:confused::confused::confused:

jdiddy24
07-09-2008, 03:33 AM
I'll sell my soul to the devil for BONDS!!!

dont know why... but cool... we can get him for nothing important then

Chips10
07-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Well I would prefer Jason Bay or Matt Holliday, but sure why not. I question the team chemistry anyway, but now that I think of it he'd be a terrible example for the youngsters like Francouer for example........and he doesn't fit in with the Braves quite, proffesional atmosphere..........God now I don't know, I'm so frustrated.

Raetz52
07-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Cant get any worse can you? Lets do it.

THE_FLASH_21
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
dont know why... but cool... we can get him for nothing important then

Ur a dirty little man Jdidddy :) :):D:D

runningcircles
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
My ONLY problem (IMO the Hank Aaron thing is null, hell this is a business, and even Aaron, who hasn't played in the ATL in YEARS, finished his career in Milwaukee, not Atl. Also, doesn't Hank work for the Braves now? I'm sure WINNING is on his mind, not who we have winning for us. Not to mention, everybody and their mom knows BB used performance enhancers, the guy's never tested positive for 'roids. The stuff he took MLB can't test for yet. Maybe he's still on it, so he'll still be ripping the ball every which way!) is that we would no longer have Blanco leading off. I think having Blanco and Esco at the top of our lineup gives us another element (speed, manufacturing runs) than we would have without him at the top of the lineup.

This team is FINALLY healthy as far as a starting offensive lineup. It's eyonly been about a week that everybody's back, and I feel like the lineup will only get more consistent once everybody starts hitting the ball like they were prior to all the injuries. IMO, if we were to sign Bonds, we'd be best off if we plugged Kotsay in the leadoff spot(he's hit there alot over his career, and plug Blanco in there when Kotsay is either hurt or needs a night off), so that Kelly can stay in the 7 whole.

Having Chipper, Teixeira, and Bonds in the middle of the lineup could be downright nasty. But I also have a hard time thinking Bonds is willing to take a pro-rated league minimum salary. If that were the case I would have to think there would be A LOT more teams jumping all over him.

jmtapia
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
BoSox's and DBacks are rumored to be looking at Bonds. If the Braves want to get him they need to do it now or FORGET IT.

jdiddy24
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Ur a dirty little man Jdidddy :) :):D:D

sorry baby.... your soul is expendable at this point... a lot better financially for the Braves

Lady's Man
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Bonds was a Brave for a day

New Schuerholz book contains plenty of insider tidbits

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/09/06

St. Petersburg, Fla. — Barry Bonds was a Brave for one night in 1992, Tom Glavine was ready to back out of a free-agent deal with the Mets and stay with the Braves in 2002 and Deion Sanders only used the Braves to demonstrate his athletic prowess.

Those are among the revelations in a surprisingly candid book by Braves general manager John Schuerholz. "Built to Win" is due to arrive in stores next week.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Wife: Man who died didn't order crab dish
Country music the culprit in Colorado pregnancies?
Dozens protest, Chick-fil-A is denied
Gallery | Georgia Bulldogs: When they were pups | ajc.com
Sixers' pursuit of Smith ends with Brand signing

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

"It's not like me," said Schuerholz, who wrote the book with former Orlando Sentinel columnist Larry Guest. "But I was convinced by Larry and the publishers that in order for the book to have the attraction we wanted it to have, it had to be real and authentic."

He begins the first chapter by revealing that in March 1992, Schuerholz and Pittsburgh GM Ted Simmons negotiated a trade to bring Pirates star Barry Bonds to Atlanta in exchange for pitcher Alejandro Pena, young outfielder Keith Mitchell and a prospect to be named later.

"I was euphoric," Schuerholz writes. "Barry Bonds was a Brave! . . . There seemed no limits to what we could achieve over our approaching several seasons."

The morning after the GMs agreed to terms, the Braves were setting up a news conference to announce the deal at their West Palm Beach, Fla., spring training home when Schuerholz phoned Simmons, who told him he couldn't do the deal, apparently because Pirates manager Jim Leyland was furious that Bonds was being traded with a year left on his contract.

Schuerholz's account of the broken deal:

About an hour before the announcement, I decided to call Ted Simmons just to coordinate the timing of the release.

"We have a problem," Ted said.

"What do you mean, a problem? Don't want to release it just yet? What?"

"I can't do the deal," he said.

"You can't do the deal? You did the deal! Ted, you agreed over the phone, general manager to general manager. We made the deal!"

In baseball, that's about as sacrosanct as anything gets. That had never happened to me, nor has it since, where there was a total reneging of a trade. . . .

I guess we can say Barry Bonds was a Brave for 15 hours. At that time of his career, he didn't have the right to approve a deal, so I'm not even sure if he is aware this happened."

nps6724
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
OMG. With Bonds, just think what could've happened.

broncsnugzbrave
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
No just because it would be a slap in Hanks face.

Lady's Man
07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
interesting article here.......
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/sports/baseball/11chass.html

Raetz52
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow. Crazy! Imagine how many times we could have gone a little bit farther in the playoofs, you never know.

braves790
07-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I've read that book and I've heard JS say that if the Braves had gotten Bonds we would have gotten Maddux!! Make your choice me I would much rather have pitching! See the 14 straight division titles we won if you need answers

nps6724
07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Our pitching was always #1 in the majors during the run and we only won 1 WS. Braves + Bonds - Maddux may have changed that because we lacked hitting in the playoffs. I think Smoltz + Glavine would've been good enough had we had Bonds. Even in '92 Bonds was a freak. 36 2B, 34 HR, 103 RBI, 127 BB, 69 SO, 39 SB (8 CS), .311/.456/.624. And the 2B, HR, RBI, AVG, OBP, and SLG all went up in '93. I think with Bonds we probably win at least 1 more WS, even without Maddux. Our pitching was so good that without Maddux, we would still be in the top 5-8 in pitching.

Raetz52
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah I agree, but Greg Maddux is one of my all time favorite players and Bonds...well he isnt.

jmtapia
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Imagine Bonds and Chipper for 5-6 years.....WOW.

tomno00
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
i found the thing about glavine interesting.... just further proof that he indeed left because of money/security. he definitely had the option of staying with us.