1. Dallas Mavericks
2. Sacramento Kings
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Washington Wizards
5. Detroit Pistons
6. Denver Nuggets

Atlanta Hawks
Draft Picks: NONE
Analysis: Although they didn't have a draft pick, it helped them get Johnson a couple years ago. Johnson, their best player, is well worth what Phoenix got at the spot, the other Lopez...
Grade: B

Boston Celtics
Draft Picks: J. R. Giddens (30), Bill Walker (47), Semih Erden (60)
Analysis: Solid additions to a good team...but nothing special here.

Charlotte Bobcats
Draft Picks: D.J. Augustin (9), Alexis Ajinca, Kyle Weaver (38)
Analysis: I didn't understand this one. The bobcats have good young players at PG, SG, SF, and PF. They needed a center to allow Okafor to play PF and Brook Lopez was on the board. Augustine will be a good player in this league but I think they missed with there first pick. Then with there second pick they got a good talent, but a guy who won't be helpful in this league for a long while.
Grade: C+

Chicago Bulls
Draft Picks: Derrick Rose (1), Omer Asik (36)
Analysis: Tough to grade this pick. Beasley seemed to be the better pick for them, but Rose could be a stud in a year or two. Would have liked to see more action. Couldnt they have gotten another good player and a draft pick for Hinrich??? They just didnt seem to care once they had Rose (not that i blame them, Rose is a great piece to have).
Grade: B+

Cleveland Cavaliers
Draft Picks: J. J. Hickson (19)
Analysis: He could be a nice long-term replacement for Joe Smith. At No. 19, he was one of the few players left on the board with a chance of being a great player. Nice pick here.

Dallas Mavericks
Draft Picks: Shan Foster (51)
Analysis: Traded their first rounder in the Kidd deal. Looking bad at this point. Nice pick for that late in the draft with Foster but that Kidd deal really hurts.
Grade:D

Denver Nuggets
Draft Picks: Sonny Weems
Analysis: The Nuggets traded their first-round pick to the Bobcats for a future protected pick.... I don' like this move at all. They could have taken a project big man or one of the 4 mid first round talents that fell (Donte Green, Darrell Aurthur, Marion Chalmers, Chris Douglas Roberts). First of all, they probably won't see that pick back for at least a couple years since Charlotte has never made the playoffs in their history and they don't project to be a playoff team anytime soon. Second of all, when the Nuggets do get the pick back sometime in the future what are the chances that two projected lottery picks, a fist team all-american, and the starting PG and best player on the National champions will still be on the board in the 15-20 range that they will be picking? Later on the added Sonny Weems, his impact will be minimal immediately on that team. He could be a nice piece down the line but I think the Nuggets really missed on trading their first pick...
Grade: C

Detroit Pistons
Draft Picks: Walter Sharpe (32), Trent Plaisted (46), Deron Washington (59)
Analysis: Not much here. A couple good picks, but Sharpe may have been a reach. The choice was a risky one...and one I don't like considering Deandre Jordan was still on the board at this point.

Golden State Warriors
Draft Picks: Anthony Randolph (14), Richard Hendrix (49)
Analysis: They already have one freakish athlete to work on...why did they take another one? The Hendrix pick I like... he could be a solid player one day.

Houston Rockets
Draft Picks: Donte Greene (28), Joey Dorsey (33), Maarty Leunen (54)
Analysis: It was a weird night for Houston but in the end they got to players that could really be something in this league. If these guys tun out to be Rashard Lewis and Ben Wallace anytime soon, the Rockets will be a force to reckon with.

Indiana Pacers
Draft Picks: Brandon Rush (13), Roy Hibbert (17)
Other additions: TJ Ford, Rasho
Analysis: This one one of the busiest couple of days you can imagine or the Pacers. But in the end they got a big man to replace Jermaine O'Neal, a new starting PG, and a excellent young SG. Still couldn't they have kept O'Neal and gotten the PG they coveted by selecting and keeping Bayless? And if they really wanted to move him couldn't they have gotten a lot more? Makes me wonder...

Los Angeles Clippers
Draft Picks: Eric Gordon (7), DeAndre Jordan (35), Mike Taylor (55)
Analysis: Couldn't have worked out much better for the Clippers. They got the guard they wanted. They got a steal in Deandre Jordan. And, they made history. Great day for the Clips...
Grade: A

Los Angeles Lakers
Draft: Joe Crawford (58)
Analysis: They basically got Paul Gasol and a trip to the finals for their draft pick. Great trade... and nothing to regret yesterday for Lakers...
Grade: A- (they did loose to the Celts)

Memphis Grizzlies
Draft Picks: O.J. Mayo (3), Darrell Arthur (27)
Analysis: Two great prospects here. They got the best of the trade they made with Minnesota and got a second top-15 talent in Arthur. They still have work to do though. Seem like way to many guards and not nearly enough front court help.
Grade: A-

Miami Heat
Draft Picks: Michael Beasley (2), Mario Chalmers (34)
Analysis: First the select and keep the best player in this draft (arguably) anad then they swing a deal for the PG they were targeting late in the first, and only have to give up a future second round pick fr him. Chalmers is EXACTLY the PG the Heat were looking for. If Beasley and Chalmers work out reasonably well this team will go from the worst team in the league to a playoff team next year.
Grade: A+

Milwaukee Bucks
Draft Picks: Joe Alexander (8), Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (37)
Analysis: I don't understand this AT ALL. Why did they draft Alexander after just trading for Jefferson. Don't they have enough SF's that they try to turn into PF's???

Minnesota Timberwolves
Draft Picks: Kevin Love (5), Nikola Pekovic (31)
Analysis: Good trade if Love ends up as good as McHale thinks he will be. I don't see him being an all-star, but maybe he will prove me wrong. They did get rid of Walker and got back Miller, so thats nice. Pekovic is a good player but no one will see him for several years so I don't understand that pick...

New Jersey Nets
Draft Picks: Brook Lopez (10), Ryan Anderson (21), Chris Douglas-Roberts (39)
Analysis: Two parts to their draft. The first part, where they traded Jefferson for basically nothing was aweful (grade D). The second part they selected two great values in Lopez and CD who should have gone earlier then they did (grade A+).
Grade: average of B-

New Orleans Hornets
Analysis: They needed money, but they could have gotten CDR at this pick, which would have fit nicely.
Grade: B-

New York Knicks
Draft Picks: Danilo Gallinari (6)
Analysis: I don't buy this... at all. They needed a PG and could have taken Bayless or Gordon here. Gallinari might be a good player one day, but i don't see it happening. The Knicks fans reaction says it all...
Grade: B-

Orlando Magic
Draft Picks: Courtney Lee (22)
Analysis: They wree sold on Lee as their guy for a while. They set their target and got it. Can't argue with that.

Philadelphia 76ers
Draft Picks: Marreese Speights (16)
Analysis: Nice pickup here. A little raw, but FULL of potential. I like this pick here.

Phoenix Suns
Draft Picks: Robin Lopez (15), Malik Hairston (48)
Analysis: When the moment of truth came, Phoenix took the guy who might have been the best player available. Lopez could become an Anderson Varejao-type defensive presence. May not have been their biggest need, but he will be an upgrade over Brian Skinner...

Portland Trail Blazers
Draft Picks: Jerryd Bayless (11), Nicolas Batum (25)
Analysis: These guys just keep adding talent every year. Bayless should never have fallen as far as he did and they didn't have to give up anything major to get him. Love this move. Portlad is going to be scary...soon!
Grade: A

Sacramento Kings
Draft Picks: Jason Thompson (12), Sean Singletary (42), Patrick Ewing Jr. (43)
Analysis: Thompson was a REACH...to say the least. The kings blew this one... Singletary could be a good value at 42??? Not a great draft for Sacramento though.
Grade: D+

San Antonio Spurs
Draft Picks: George Hill (26), Malik Hairston (48), James Gist (57)
Analysis: George Hill, with Chalmers still on the board??? Its sad when the only person I recognize of the 3 draft picks they made was #57 James Gist... and I have studied this draft somewhat thoroughly.
Grade: C-

Seattle SuperSonics
Draft Picks: Russell Westbrook (4), Serge Ibaka (24), D.J. White (29), DeVon Hardin (50)
Analysis: I really really like this draft! DJ White is a little early but I really like this guy. Devon Hardin is also a good value. He's raw.... but he is a great athlete for this late in the draft. I think the biggest shocker of the whole draft is westbrook that early. Westbrook is a good athlete and good defender, but thats a little early...scratch that...wayyy early. This guy is a good backup at the most in my opinion. Why would the Sonics leave Bayless on the board there? That was a bit of a head scratcher. I do like Westbrook though... and to get Ibaka, White, and Hardin is really strong.
Grade: A-

Toronto Raptors
Draft Picks: Nathan Jawai (41)
Analysis: Only time will tell on the Raptors draft. If O'Neal stays healthy they stole him and had a great "draft." I O'Neal's career continues to spiral downwards (ala the other O'Neal) the Raptors may have just shot themselves in the foot. Personally, I think O'Neal is over the hill, but it was worth the risk for Toronto to make this move...
Draft Grade: B+

Utah Jazz
Draft Picks: Kosta Koufos (23), Ante Tomic (44), Tadija Dragicevic (53)
Analysis: I tell you who loses in this one. Utah Jazz announcers. This quailifies as the weirdest collection of draft names this year... As for the players themselves they got good value with Koufos at 23 and they had a solid draft at worst...

Washington Wizards
Draft Picks: JaVale McGee (18)
Analysis: Don't understand this one. McGee has a lot of upside...yes. But don't they already have two 7-foot project centers named Haywood and Blatche. This pick doesn't seem to make sense to me. They could use a true PG or some depth at SF since Butler gets injured EVERY year...

superkegger
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
IMO, the Blazers had the best draft. The have 5 future picks, and goy bayless. Amazing draft for them.

Phann
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
IMO, the Blazers had the best draft. The have 5 future picks, and goy bayless. Amazing draft for them.

agreed. If you look at their team on paper, they are phenomenal. This team is the team to watch out for going into the 08-09 season.

ATX
06-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Blazers are going to be sick for the next decade! The west better watch out.

daleja424
06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
4 sure... but that doesn't have much to do with what they got in this draft... It has more to do with the fact that they are all one year older and will now get odon back next year. They got a nice piece in Bayless, no doubt... but he won't start or have a huge impact next year... I wouldn't think.

Phann
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
4 sure... but that doesn't have much to do with what they got in this draft... It has more to do with the fact that they are all one year older and will now get odon back next year. They got a nice piece in Bayless, no doubt... but he won't start or have a huge impact next year... I wouldn't think.

The past 4 drafts the Blazers have made smart moves as you can tell and now look like a top notch team. Some players to name that they have got...Aldridge, Roye, Oden, Bayless, Webster, etc. Great drafting!

DenButsu
06-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Denver Nuggets
Analysis: The Nuggets traded their first-round pick to the Bobcats for cash. They could have taken a project big man or one of the 4 mid first round talents that fell (Donte Green, Darrell Aurthur, Marion Chalmers, Chris Douglas Roberts).
Grade: D

Two corrections here. And one is needed because, I think, you probably wrote this up before the dust had settled on draft night trading. And that is that Denver did, in effect, make one draft pick by buying Chicago's 39th pick Sonny Weems with their 2009 second round pick.

The other correction is that the Nuggets traded their 20th pick for a lottery protected Bobcats first round pick, and not for cash. Therefore, they didn't lose their first round pick, they just delayed it into the future.

The Nuggets GMs had Sonny Weems evaluated in the late teens on their draft board ratings. In other words, they view him as a comparable player to what they could have gotten had they kept their #20. But instead of him costing a first round pick, he cost a second round pick. And now, instead of holding a "late teens" player plus their first and second rounders next season, they hold that "late teens" player plus two first rounders next season.

So in their view, in terms of overall assets they came out ahead. Whether their view is correct or not remains to be seen, because we'll need to see how they use these assets, and (if they keep him) if Weems pans out. But they do seem to be in a stronger position now than before the draft, with more appealing trade pieces in their hand. So given that all they had when they entered this draft was one #20 pick, I'm not sure that it's really accurate to give them a D and put them in the "losers" category. They probably did pretty good with what they had to work with.

daleja424
06-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Two corrections here. And one is needed because, I think, you probably wrote this up before the dust had settled on draft night trading. And that is that Denver did, in effect, make one draft pick by buying Chicago's 39th pick Sonny Weems with their 2009 second round pick.

The other correction is that the Nuggets traded their 20th pick for a lottery protected Bobcats first round pick, and not for cash. Therefore, they didn't lose their first round pick, they just delayed it into the future.

The Nuggets GMs had Sonny Weems evaluated in the late teens on their draft board ratings. In other words, they view him as a comparable player to what they could have gotten had they kept their #20. But instead of him costing a first round pick, he cost a second round pick. And now, instead of holding a "late teens" player plus their first and second rounders next season, they hold that "late teens" player plus two first rounders next season.

So in their view, in terms of overall assets they came out ahead. Whether their view is correct or not remains to be seen, because we'll need to see how they use these assets, and (if they keep him) if Weems pans out. But they do seem to be in a stronger position now than before the draft, with more appealing trade pieces in their hand. So given that all they had when they entered this draft was one #20 pick, I'm not sure that it's really accurate to give them a D and put them in the "losers" category. They probably did pretty good with what they had to work with.

Ya sorry. I was going off memory for that trade and I removed Weems from Chcago but had forgotten to add him to the Nuggets. My apologies. I have tweaked my analysis so check it out and then we can dispute it if u want...

Also,the pick they get back is lottery protection so the Nuggets may not see that draft pick until like 2015... I think they left some really good players on the board for some ? down the road that may not come for 10 years...

DenButsu
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the update, daleja424. And I really wasn't trying to make a strong dispute, but I do think there are a lot of misperceptions - most especially amongst Nuggets fans - about this being a horrible move.

First of all, if we keep the pick, the later we get it the better. It's under a downgrading protection (12, 10, 8, etc.) that means with each passing year it increases in value.

But secondly, I think the whole point was to keep the pick for trading purposes rather than spending it. I think the Nuggets plan not to trade Iverson, and they feel they stand a better chance of landing a solid veteran player by, say, packaging Camby with one or two future first rounders than with a project.

But I'll take the C. The Nuggets had a mediocre pick going in, and came out with a mediocre result. No big loss, but no big gain, either.

daleja424
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the update, daleja424. And I really wasn't trying to make a strong dispute, but I do think there are a lot of misperceptions - most especially amongst Nuggets fans - about this being a horrible move.

First of all, if we keep the pick, the later we get it the better. It's under a downgrading protection (12, 10, 8, etc.) that means with each passing year it increases in value.

But secondly, I think the whole point was to keep the pick for trading purposes rather than spending it. I think the Nuggets plan not to trade Iverson, and they feel they stand a better chance of landing a solid veteran player by, say, packaging Camby with one or two future first rounders than with a project.

But I'll take the C. The Nuggets had a mediocre pick going in, and came out with a mediocre result. No big loss, but no big gain, either.

Ya, but say you get Kirk Hinrich for Camby and 2 first round picks... I would say that Chalmers for instance projects very well to be a Kirk Hinrich clone in a couple years.... but a better shooter. You could potentially have Camby, Chalmers, and another 1st rounder OR Kirk Hinrich. Or you guy could have gotten Darrell Aurthur and been freed up to shop K-Mart's horrible contract... I just think that 3 of the 4 guys that slipped to you are lottery talents this year and could very well have been top 10 picks in a different draft...

On a different note, what are you hearing about JR Smith there in DENVER. I dont see how you guys could keep him, already 20 mil over the cap and all. What are you heraing?

Sports Illustrator
06-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't think the Miami Heat had the best draft by any means. The significant move they made was trading for Chalmers while teams like Portland got Bayless and Batum. Memphis also got their franchise player and made other good decisions. All these teams did better than the Heat IMO. The Rockets also did very well.

Miami's 2nd pick should have been a clear pick at Micheal Beasley. Mayo and Wade would not work well together because you'd be having two scoring Guards always wanting the ball. You can't really give the Miami Heat an A+ for 1 trade they made. I will admit, that was a great trade though.

daleja424
06-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think the Miami Heat had the best draft by any means. The significant move they made was trading for Chalmers while teams like Portland got Bayless and Batum. Memphis also got their franchise player and made other good decisions. All these teams did better than the Heat IMO. The Rockets also did very well.

Miami's 2nd pick should have been a clear pick at Micheal Beasley. Mayo and Wade would not work well together because you'd be having two scoring Guards always wanting the ball. You can't really give the Miami Heat an A+ for 1 trade they made. I will admit, that was a great trade though.

well Chad Ford agrees with me... as does every other grading system I have seen so far... Sometimes its not about how you get someone, but who you got. The heat got the best player in the draft (debatable) and then made a BRILLIANT move to get the PG they coveted... Overall they got two guys that could start for them for the next 12-15 years... how many other teams did that?

yaowowrocket11
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with a lot of those grades, except for the Bucks. Even though they got Jefferson, Alexander will be a top 5 player to come out of this draft. He has all the tools offensively, and is a tough defender. Its obvious that the Bucks think that they have every position covered, and they do:

PG- Mo Williams
SG- Michael Redd
SF- Richard Jefferson
PF- Charlie Villanueva
C- Andrew Bogut

Knowing this, they took the best available player who will make an impact next year. Sure, they could have picked DJ Augustin, but he won't make an impact this year like Alexander will.

daleja424
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with a lot of those grades, except for the Bucks. Even though they got Jefferson, Alexander will be a top 5 player to come out of this draft. He has all the tools offensively, and is a tough defender. Its obvious that the Bucks think that they have every position covered, and they do:

PG- Mo Williams
SG- Michael Redd
SF- Richard Jefferson
PF- Charlie Villanueva
C- Andrew Bogut

Knowing this, they took the best available player who will make an impact next year. Sure, they could have picked DJ Augustin, but he won't make an impact this year like Alexander will.

Charlie-V isnt a PF though. And they could have gone SG or PG to allow them to clear space by trading Redd or williams... but I would guess they are planning on keeping all of them now and giving this a run... but Vharlie-V is a SF...without a doubt... dudes really soft...

DenButsu
06-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I hear what you're saying about Chalmers/Hinrich. Ultimately, as with most draft-related moves, it will probably be a few years until we know if this was a good decision or not. We'll see.

On a different note, what are you hearing about JR Smith there in DENVER. I dont see how you guys could keep him, already 20 mil over the cap and all. What are you heraing?

The Nuggets have already extended a qualifying offer to Smith, cementing his status as restricted. They can match any offer sheet his signs with another team. How? Because Stan Kroenke is a very, very rich man who has consistently demonstrated the willingness to pay if he believes he's getting value back (see AI trade).

Sports Illustrator
06-28-2008, 10:16 PM
well Chad Ford agrees with me... as does every other grading system I have seen so far... Sometimes its not about how you get someone, but who you got. The heat got the best player in the draft (debatable) and then made a BRILLIANT move to get the PG they coveted... Overall they got two guys that could start for them for the next 12-15 years... how many other teams did that?

Most of the graders didn't put the Miami Heat having a better day than every other team in the NBA.....Chad Ford is only one, what about the rest?

While I agree the Miami Heat had a great draft day, I wouldn't put them ahead of a team like the Blazers or the Memphis Grizzlies.

When determining this stance, everything matters... How you got the player, who you got and what did it take. I won't argue with you about Mario Chalmers though, great pickup. As for Beasley, come on, there wasn't much to talk about.

superkegger
06-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Memphis took on Antoine Walker, Greg Buckner, and Marko Jaric's contracts. As good as Mayo could be, those 3 are a lot to take on for Mayo.

DenButsu
06-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Memphis took on Antoine Walker, Greg Buckner, and Marko Jaric's contracts. As good as Mayo could be, those 3 are a lot to take on for Mayo.

Very true, especially considering that all three of them (assuming Buckner exercises his player option) don't expire until 2011. If one or more of them expired in 2010 it would make more sense as a move to use Mayo as a magnet to attract some of the desirable FA talent that will become available then.

Kind of makes me wonder what the value of moving Mike Miller and Gasol really is if they ultimately don't really come out ahead in the payroll department.

iam brett favre
06-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Why does jw? hate the Roy Hibbert pick so much?

superkegger
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Why does jw? hate the Roy Hibbert pick so much?

I don't know. I actually really like what the Pacers did, like their personnel or not, at least you can see what they're trying to accomplish, unlike the last two years...The players they acquired over that short span, Ford, B Rush, Hibbert, Jack, and Rasho, it moves them toward rebuilding.

daleja424
06-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Very true, especially considering that all three of them (assuming Buckner exercises his player option) don't expire until 2011. If one or more of them expired in 2010 it would make more sense as a move to use Mayo as a magnet to attract some of the desirable FA talent that will become available then.

Kind of makes me wonder what the value of moving Mike Miller and Gasol really is if they ultimately don't really come out ahead in the payroll department.

Walker actually expires next summer... They will have 10 million dollars next summer that hey wouldn't have had without making this trade...

daleja424
06-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Most of the graders didn't put the Miami Heat having a better day than every other team in the NBA.....Chad Ford is only one, what about the rest?

While I agree the Miami Heat had a great draft day, I wouldn't put them ahead of a team like the Blazers or the Memphis Grizzlies.

When determining this stance, everything matters... How you got the player, who you got and what did it take. I won't argue with you about Mario Chalmers though, great pickup. As for Beasley, come on, there wasn't much to talk about.

Of the 4 "report cards" I have seen, Miami has gotten at least an A on every single one...

1) Memphis didn't have a better day IMO at all. They traded two starters for one and have absolutely NO front court now... Great they added another guard. Now they have 5 guards and Rudy Gay.... but no one up front. I didnt like their draft at all... They got a coild player in Darrell Aurthur, but they were way more complete a team with Conly/Miller/Gay/Love/Darco... The only upside to their day was that they cleared 10 million of cap space next year... but who the heck goes to memphis as a FA????

2) Portland got a great piece in bayless... but Miami's move to get Chalmers was more impressive to me. Chalmers was projected to potentially go as early as like 16 and miami got him for two future second rounder... really??? Thats SICK! Also, Miami didnt trade Beasley... which was another great move. I might be biased on this but I just honestly feel that Miami got more for their money. They came into the draft with two picks and got two starters. Portland cam in with like 5 picks and got one???

IndiansFan337
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Augustin is much more NBA-ready than Alexander.

Walker expires after this season. I thought I read something that said Buckner does as well. :confused: Jaric does indeed have 3 years remaining on his contract.

Of the 4 "report cards" I have seen, Miami has gotten at least an A on every single one...

1) Memphis didn't have a better day IMO at all. They traded two starters for one and have absolutely NO front court now... Great they added another guard. Now they have 5 guards and Rudy Gay.... but no one up front. I didnt like their draft at all... They got a coild player in Darrell Aurthur, but they were way more complete a team with Conly/Miller/Gay/Love/Darco... The only upside to their day was that they cleared 10 million of cap space next year... but who the heck goes to memphis as a FA????

2) Portland got a great piece in bayless... but Miami's move to get Chalmers was more impressive to me. Chalmers was projected to potentially go as early as like 16 and miami got him for two future second rounder... really??? Thats SICK! Also, Miami didnt trade Beasley... which was another great move. I might be biased on this but I just honestly feel that Miami got more for their money. They came into the draft with two picks and got two starters. Portland cam in with like 5 picks and got one???
1. Memphis also has added Marc Gasol to their frontline. He is about to sign with them once F/A begins.

2. Don't judge a successful draft based on how many starters are acquired, considering Miami had holes at every starting position besides SG & PF. They either lost the starter to F/A(Davis, J-Will) or had a scrub filling in(Blount) for the time being. So it's much easier to upgrade those guys than to upgrade with a core of Oden/Aldridge/Roy.

Miami did have a great draft, but so did Portland. I don't think Chalmers will start the opener during his rookie season, so the hype on him needs to calm down. Batum probably won't play too much his rookie season in Portland either, so the hype on him should calm down as well. Rudy Fernandez, Roy, Outlaw, & possibly Martell Webster & James Jones will be playing ahead of him. Bayless will most likely start the season as Blake's backup, but he should be the starter by 2009 -- or sooner.

DenButsu
06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Walker expires after this season. I thought I read something that said Buckner does as well. :confused: Jaric does indeed have 3 years remaining on his contract.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I realized after the fact (after daleja first pointed my mistake out), that the site I was referring to had faulty info on it.

I think these numbers are pretty accurate:

2008/09 2009/10 2010/11
Greg Buckner $3,759,259 $4,018,518 $4,277,777+
Marko Jaric $6,575,000 $7,100,000 $7,625,000
Antoine Walker $9,320,500 $10,094,000** $10,867,500

**team option
+player option

Walker has a team option at the end of 08-09 which Memphis surely won't exercise, so he'll be off their books next year.

But Jaric is solid through 2011, and Buckner's is a player option in 2010 which I'm certain he'll exercise since there's no way in hell any other team would pay him that much.

So basically, I think we could say that about $11 million of this total salary load is expiring, while about $12 million of it is pretty much on the books for 3 years.

PackCrewBuckBad
06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Milwaukee Bucks
Draft Picks: Joe Alexander (8), Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (37)
Analysis: I don't understand this AT ALL. Why did they draft Alexander after just trading for Jefferson. Don't they have enough SF's that they try to turn into PF's???

This was a great pick for us. He can play PF too. Benched 185 245 times, 2nd most in draft. That is including guys like Love, Hibbert, Lopez's, etc. He also has a 38 inch vertical and is 6'8''. He will be playing PF for us.
Not only that, but he is an extremely hard worker and WANTS to play for the Bucks. He also has great D, and our coach is skiles...

Luc is also known for his D, and I have heard comparisons to Bowen...Skiles likes D...

Although we got RJ, we traded simmons, so in essence, we didn't gain or lose a SF before the draft. So now at SF we have Luc, RJ and Mason, and at PF we have CV and Alexander. I like the looks of that.

PackCrewBuckBad
06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Charlie-V isnt a PF though. And they could have gone SG or PG to allow them to clear space by trading Redd or williams... but I would guess they are planning on keeping all of them now and giving this a run... but Vharlie-V is a SF...without a doubt... dudes really soft...

um...yes he is.
If we trade williams, we still have Sessions (who most people like more than mo). If we trade redd, we will most likely get a SG in return, we also still have charlie bell.

CV is NOT a SF.

daleja424
06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
um...yes he is.
If we trade williams, we still have Sessions (who most people like more than mo). If we trade redd, we will most likely get a SG in return, we also still have charlie bell.

CV is NOT a SF.

You can tell me that CV and Alexander are PF's until the end of time... but I really wont believe you. I believe what I see. I think that both of them can fill in at PF but that is not the place where either one fits most efficiently... but thats just my opinion... for what its worth. I am not saying that Milwaukee won't play Cv/Alexander at PF... b/c Im sure they will, but I am saying that I dont think that is where they fit the best...

daleja424
06-30-2008, 02:47 PM
This was a great pick for us. He can play PF too. Benched 185 245 times, 2nd most in draft. That is including guys like Love, Hibbert, Lopez's, etc. He also has a 38 inch vertical and is 6'8''. He will be playing PF for us.
Not only that, but he is an extremely hard worker and WANTS to play for the Bucks. He also has great D, and our coach is skiles...

Luc is also known for his D, and I have heard comparisons to Bowen...Skiles likes D...

Although we got RJ, we traded simmons, so in essence, we didn't gain or lose a SF before the draft. So now at SF we have Luc, RJ and Mason, and at PF we have CV and Alexander. I like the looks of that.

Also I really like alexander and luc as players... I just dont like their fit on your team...

ThreeIfBaerga
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
That Nets grade is ********. How does the Jefferson trade have anything to do with the draft? They didn't draft a SF and they didn't get any picks.

Not only that but Yi was the #6 overall pick last year, how is that "basically nothing"?

daleja424
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
So what if the guys was draft 6th... Kwame was #1 overall... deosn't mean squat. Lets not beat around the bush here. The nets traded Jefferson for one reason and one reason only...2010. They didnt trade him b/c they thought Yi was as good as RJ, they did it for cap space and an outside chance to land lebron in 2 years.

Like I have said, for me... grades are about more then who you draft, but what what you do on draft day. As far as actually selecting players the Nets did really good. They got 2 great steals in CDR and Lopez. For the actual picks they deserve an A. But the fact that they completely gave up on winning and have basically packed it in and conceded that they wont win for a couple more years instead of building around RJ is an FFFFF decision. If you disagree thats fine. But for me the draft is about more then choosing players. Its about making your team better. Even with the good picks, your team got worse by losing RJ... no matter how many young talented players you got back...

ThreeIfBaerga
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
So what if the guys was draft 6th... Kwame was #1 overall... deosn't mean squat. Lets not beat around the bush here. The nets traded Jefferson for one reason and one reason only...2010. They didnt trade him b/c they thought Yi was as good as RJ, they did it for cap space and an outside chance to land lebron in 2 years.

Like I have said, for me... grades are about more then who you draft, but what what you do on draft day. As far as actually selecting players the Nets did really good. They got 2 great steals in CDR and Lopez. For the actual picks they deserve an A. But the fact that they completely gave up on winning and have basically packed it in and conceded that they wont win for a couple more years instead of building around RJ is an FFFFF decision. If you disagree thats fine. But for me the draft is about more then choosing players. Its about making your team better. Even with the good picks, your team got worse by losing RJ... no matter how many young talented players you got back...

So one year later and he's a bust? Is that all it takes to give up on a 20 year old 7 footer?

But that completely defeats the purpose of handing out draft grades. If that's not what they are, call them offseason grades, not draft grades.

And I don't know if you've been paying attention to the Nets, but they've built around RJ, it got them nowhere. They built around Kidd-Carter-Jefferson and it got them nowhere. They got a good return on their player, and it was time for the Nets to tear their team down and rebuild.

daleja424
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
So one year later and he's a bust? Is that all it takes to give up on a 20 year old 7 footer?

But that completely defeats the purpose of handing out draft grades. If that's not what they are, call them offseason grades, not draft grades.

And I don't know if you've been paying attention to the Nets, but they've built around RJ, it got them nowhere. They built around Kidd-Carter-Jefferson and it got them nowhere. They got a good return on their player, and it was time for the Nets to tear their team down and rebuild.

See I diasgree. They never gave Jefferson a fair shot. They gave carter a ridculous deal and then couldn't afford ANY front court help. Trading away Kidd I understand, but Carter should have been the next to go to give RJ a little help up front... Besides... who will they have on their team in 2010 to lure Lebron there anyways?

jagsfan29
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Biggest Draft Day Winners:
1. Miami Heat
2. Portland Trailblazers
3. Seattle Supersonics
4. LA Clippers
5. Memphis Grizzlies

Biggest Draft Day Losers:
1. Dallas Mavericks
2. Sacramento Kings
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Washington Wizards
5. Detroit Pistons
6. Denver Nuggets

I think thats a pretty acurate opinion?

DenButsu
07-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Biggest Draft Day Winners:
1. Miami Heat
2. Portland Trailblazers
3. Seattle Supersonics
4. LA Clippers
5. Memphis Grizzlies

Biggest Draft Day Losers:
1. Dallas Mavericks
2. Sacramento Kings
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Washington Wizards
5. Detroit Pistons
6. Denver Nuggets

I think thats a pretty acurate opinion?

What did the Nuggets lose?

Shieldsz
07-12-2008, 06:29 AM
They traded their pick...that makes them a big fat loser i guess

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 07:29 AM
They traded their pick...that makes them a big fat loser i guess

A #20 for a future first rounder that could end up being a lottery pick...

daleja424
07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
A #20 for a future first rounder that could end up being a lottery pick...

haha... we've talked about this DenButsu. If Chalmers becomes the PG they have been looking and the one he appears on his way to being...the move wasn't smart. And the thing is that Charlotte has a decent chance of making the playoffs next year with Brown there to make them play team ball, b/c they are hecka talented down there in Charlotte. You could potentially have traded a 20th pick in a deep draft for the 15th in a less deep draft...and maybe without a PG of Chalmers ability... I dunno. We won't see what grade they deserve really until we see what they get for the pick in the furture... but like I said my gut reaction was that I didn't like it... just MO tho...