PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Giddens (#30)

Corey
06-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Post all info on J.R. Giddens here.

bostncelts34
06-26-2008, 11:02 PM
haha nobody knows much about this guy. But if he can score, we need him off the bench.

Global Celtic
06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
SCOUTING REPORT: A tremendous athlete who doesn't sacrifice good touch, as he shot 51.6 percent from the field as a senior. A solid 3-point shooter averaged 33 percent or better from beyond the arc in three of his four seasons at New Mexico. Energetic player is a relentless rebounder who uses his leaping ability and long arms to play bigger than his frame around the basket. He averaged 8.8 boards in 2007-08 - 1.3 higher than his average the previous season. Athleticism and long wingspan allow him to be an above-average defender. Gets excellent elevation on his jump shot, making it tough to defend. Driving to the basket is not one of his strengths. Also is not a great passer, and his mid-range game is largely undeveloped. A troubled past is a consideration, as Giddens transferred from Kansas after his sophomore season following his involvement in a bar brawl during which he was stabbed in his right calf. The former All-Big 12 freshman of the year ran into trouble again with the Lobos, as he was suspended indefinitely from the team during his junior season over problems with his attitude. Giddens' spotty past and questions about his mid-range game may drop him into the second round, but he's admitted to having made bad decisions and the electrifying dunker's raw ability could make him a steal for a team willing to take a chance on him.

The last Celtic ex-Kansas player stabbed after a bar brawl is now at home with a Finals MVP trophy in the shell... I get your point, Danny.

mexceltic
06-26-2008, 11:11 PM
ESPN is saying the same... attitude problems... good athlete...
Im guessing that the Big 3 can settle his head down to earth... He can shoot the rock.

69centers
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Shooting guard. Maybe this means Tony Allen is out. With TA's earlier problems, and then Sebastian Telfair, you would think a guard with off the court issues would be a red flag. Who knows what Ainge is thinking. Maybe another team has some interest in Giddens and him and Scal will be on the move.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
good pick.

the type of scorer needed to back up Ray Allen.

ill enjoy his trash time dunks next year!

C-Webb
06-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Hard to say. Given he is coming to a vet team with the big 3, if he listens and learns he could be a steal (Celtic Optimism). You have attitude on this team and you will be set in your place, or gone. He can score, but as a guard led his team in rebounding I think with over 8 a game. Huge leaper and athletic player. Played through his senior season, even after sitting out 1 year because of transfer. Good gamble at 30 I think, given what was on the board.

C-Webb
06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Shooting guard. Maybe this means Tony Allen is out. With TA's earlier problems, and then Sebastian Telfair, you would think a guard with off the court issues would be a red flag. Who knows what Ainge is thinking. Maybe another team has some interest in Giddens and him and Scal will be on the move.

I agree, this very well could mean TA is not resigned as they are very similar players (atheltic wise), but Giddens has a much better jump shot.

tonyd3b54
06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
terrible pick they had a chance to get deandre jordan, mario chalmers, CDR... all better picks and made a ton of sense for us to take either...

BTownTeamsRKing
06-26-2008, 11:36 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOq7hvULlfY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaozBDoaLbQ&feature=related

crazy ups

69centers
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
DeAndre is too unpolished and I know Ainge has a high preference for players who are ready now, rather than long term projects. As for Chalmers, we are not as thin at point guard as we are at shooting guard, so I can see picking the shooting guard over the point guard.

We could still use a big guy, but maybe he will come from an existing player from another team. If center Semih Erden is there at 60, I say take him. The 60th pick usually never amounts to much NBA talent wise, but you never know. Devon Hardin, the other decent center left was just picked, so he's out.

KmB728
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
well i didnt rlly like this pick at first.... but ive seen a few youtube videos and well.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rD58bsFoSGo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UdmxZI24lc&feature=related

EDIT: Crap i was to slow in posting the vids

Corey
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
terrible pick they had a chance to get deandre jordan, mario chalmers, CDR... all better picks and made a ton of sense for us to take either...

DeAndre Jordan wouldn't be ready for a good 3 years anyways..so picking him would be pointless for this team. Chalmers and CDR could help out now, but wouldn't have much potential to get better.

Giddens can help out now, and he has an incredibly high ceiling. He's a great 3pt shooter, he can jump out of the gym (Think TA before surgery, and then some), but he needs to work on his free throw shooting. He's also above average on the defensive end.

If he gets his attitude problem (that might be non-existent after his good senior season), he could help us out a lot this season, and become an impact player in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted Chalmers, but this pick makes a lot of sense.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
we dont need chalmers. hes good, but is he better than Pruitt?

not skill set wise.

IndiansFan337
06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
This guy was always pegged as a 1st rounder when he went to Kansas, but then everyone sort of forgot about him when he transferred to New Mexico....

Corey
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
we dont need chalmers. hes good, but is he better than Pruitt?

not skill set wise.

He has better point guard skills than Pruitt.

SwaggaIke
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Steve Alford really got him under control at New Mexico. He's not a headcase like he once was. I believe the Celtics got a steal in this draft. Especially given the fact that he's going to play w/ Kevin Garnett. Giddens is not a good defender right now, but he has the tools to be one. He's long and athletic.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-26-2008, 11:53 PM
bill walkerrrrrrrrrrr

yeaaaaaaa

BTownTeamsRKing
06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
oops, wrong topic.

AntiG
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I was thrilled with CDR dropped into our laps (and subsequently dropped further)... he would've fit perfectly into what this team does and his game reminds me slightly of Pierce.

But Giddens' athleticism and potential certainly is appetizing. Looks like we have our next Slam Dunk champ.

69centers
06-27-2008, 12:39 AM
In an interview tonight, Doc says he feels Giddens can step in and be a defensive presence in the NBA right away, but would need work in other areas. He mentioned his long wingspan. Doc also said they were still going to try to resign TA and that they didn't draft to fill position, but rather best available. Sounds pretty diplomatic to me. We'll just have to see in the coming weeks.

raiderdell
06-27-2008, 12:52 AM
i forgot about him, i cant remember if he can do anything other than dunk.

DieHard CELT
06-27-2008, 02:52 AM
wow Giddens over CDR.....Yea i was sitting there all night seeing darrell arthur and CDR drop and was hoping either would be there at 30, and when arthur got drafted at 27, i thought we would definitely draft CDR. But when i heard the name JR Giddens i was so pissed that they passed on him. Yea Ive heard of giddens when he was in the High School Mcdonalds game and i think he was in the dunk contest as well. I remember when he was at kansas too, and i remember him being pretty good, but how can you pass on CDR? He is a slashing good defending forward with nba range. when i think of CDR i think he has the potential to be the next paul pierce...but i dont know, Giddens could fit in nicely too behind ray allen. Maybe pierce persuaded ainge to pick giddens given they have the same type of incidents in their lives...haha..jk...but yea i think TA is gone...and this gives room for giddens and pruitt as 1st off the bench. but what i really want is Gerald Green back babyyyyy...sign him ainge!!!

redsox96
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I hate that pick

we should have drafted DeAndre Jordan

and i havent heard of bill walker

actuctally i hadnt heard of jr giddens

well neither semirh erden

someone finally agrees with me i was like we r gettin deandre but they didnt dumb pick by them

Dr Funk
06-27-2008, 09:20 AM
CDR would have been a pretty good pick, however, the guy slipped to 40 for a reason. And for people comparing him to Paul Pierce, get the heck out of here, it isn't even close, not even a little bit.

Giddens has a much better skill set for this team than CDR because of his defensive ability, and athleticism which we needed to upgrade.

If it weren't for Gidden's off the field issues, he would have been a lottery pick. CDR had no issues and he still fell to pick #40.

DeAndre Jordan would be nice, but to wait 3 years for a guy that may or may not pan out doesn't help us, because the C's are in their championship runs NOW, not 3 years from now. With Perkins at Center now, who is only like 22 years old, we have our long term development player there.

balla4life22
06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
you guys saying this is a bad pick obv dont know enough about him. this is a great pick imo. giddens can do a little of everything and his athleticism is incredible. Hes like a gerald green that can shoot and defend.

Jluna016
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I would have preferred Chalmers but here is his scouting Report

Strengths: JR is a freakish athlete that shoots the 3 well. He plays with a lot of heart and enthusiasm. He is a good rebounder and has shown a propensity for getting offensive rebounds and quick putbacks under the basket. Is listed at 6'5 but plays bigger because of his long arms and excellent jumping ability. He's a pretty good defender. JR gets excellent lift on his jump shot making it very difficult to block.

Weaknesses: Has not yet shown the ability to drive to the basket. But this is probably due to the fact that he is either dunking in alley-oops or shooting three's for the Jayhawks. His mid-range game must be an area of focus. Not a selfish player, but also is not a natural distributor of the basketball.

Notes: Has won a couple different dunk contests already. JR was a Mcdonalds All-American and probably would have won that dunk contest had it not been for some guy named LeBron... Won co-MVP honors (Along with Team USA player Deron Williams) at the 2003 Global Games, he also won that tournaments dunk contest. JR was an excellent track athlete in high school and cleared 6 feet 10 inches in a high jump competition. Was the first runner-up for the Mr. Basketball title as a senior in high school but the award was actually won by current KU teammate Jeremy Case.

Faneik
06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Have to be honest, don't know this guy...

After reading some articles and seen some videos, I'm a fan already!

He could be a poor man's Vince Carter.

Corey
06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm not going to act like I know everything about his game, but I'm a Kansas fan so I got to watch his first two years in college pretty consistently.

Like all the scouting reports say, he's a good spot up 3pt shooter. He's an explosive dunker, and he's great on backdoor alley-oop plays. His athleticism is incredible, as is his wingspan...So he plays a lot stronger, and bigger than his height leads on. He can play the 2 or 3 on the NBA level if he develops a mid range game.

He's reluctant to slash, and falls in love with the 3 ball sometimes, but it's all stuff that can be corrected by a good coaching staff. If we can get him to buy into our system, he's going to be a fan favorite from the get-go.

Wake's Fastball
06-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm really split on this one. Giddens is tremendously talented and I'm thrilled to have him on our team, but at the same time, I was convinced that he'd have possibly been available towards the end of the second when guys were getting swapped around for cash. I'd have really liked to see DeAndre Jordan come in; while he's not ready offensively, he is a big body who can play some defense, and with Garnett being able to teach him some moves outside of 5 feet, I'd have thought he'd become a real good prospect in Boston.

vince wilfort
06-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Part of me likes this pick and part of me questions it. On one hand, he has pretty nice potential, he can play defense, and he can drive to the basket. On the other hand, this might mean they've given up on Tony Allen, who I would have liked to see for another year.

Ewagner
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
let me just start by saying i started dreaming of deandre jordan at about pick 20. My first thought after the pick was anger. i could see the need for a 2 but thought jordan would have been a better pick. now that i have had sometime to reflect and research gidden, who i did know some about, i feel a little better. i still think jordan was the better pick. don't forget we are stuck with this guy for 3 years anyways. so your angrument of jordan not being ready for 3 years doesn't hold. jordan to back up perkins would have been key. we don't need a superstar now but when the big three do start to leave and this guy has developed into something that would have been great. we could have used him for a sign and trade or kept him and had perkins at center and jordan at the four. if we were that hard up for gidden we could have traded back up and got him. he was projected as a late second rounder to not being drafted. gidden will be a productive celtic i do not question that, but when it comes to getting a guy who at one point was a projected top 5 and still has time to develop you need to start scratching your head.

rufo4100
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I dont know much about this guy but keep hearing he is defensive minded and could maybe fill a void that might be left by Posey if he chooses to leave. I also hear he has had attitude problems etc...but I am not worried about such things if a guy is coming to Boston where we have tremendous character guys and they should prove to be a postive influence on him.

Corey
06-27-2008, 03:58 PM
don't forget we are stuck with this guy for 3 years anyways. so your angrument of jordan not being ready for 3 years doesn't hold.

Sure it does.

Jordan would be nothing more than a big body for the next year or two...and MIGHT pan out in the future.

Giddens can contribute on the defensive end now, has a solid 3pt jumper, can jump out of the roof...and still has a ton of potential left over to be a really solid player in this league.

cocossox
06-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Post all info on J.R. Giddens here.bye Tony Allen?

roy hobbs
06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I hate that pick

we should have drafted DeAndre Jordan

and i havent heard of bill walker

actuctally i hadnt heard of jr giddens

well neither semirh erden

someone finally agrees with me i was like we r gettin deandre but they didnt dumb pick by them

what do you mean you never heard of giddens or walker?then how can you hate the pick? you are aware that there is a thing called college, where they play basketball?

Jluna016
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
At first I didn't like the pick but then I realized that Danny knows his stuff when it comes to drafting. In 06 I was mad when the C's didn't take Marcus Williams and instead took Rondo. That proved to be the right decision. The more I look at the kid the more I think of an older better version of Gerald Green who can play defense.

Ewagner
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Sure it does.

Jordan would be nothing more than a big body for the next year or two...and MIGHT pan out in the future.

Giddens can contribute on the defensive end now, has a solid 3pt jumper, can jump out of the roof...and still has a ton of potential left over to be a really solid player in this league.

i don't know if he has a ton of potential. obviously anyone with the desire can get better. i'm not saying he was a bad pick. i'm just saying in three years jordan could be an all star, gidden will always be nothing more than a role player. obviously it could go the opposite way with jordan to. i think what you see from gidden is what you get. that is fine for this team but what happens in a few years?

rufo4100
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
bye Tony Allen?

I have already read a few online articles that say Doc wants Tony Allen back. I am not sold that he will be back but I think its a possibility.

raiderdell
06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
I have already read a few online articles that say Doc wants Tony Allen back. I am not sold that he will be back but I think its a possibility.

only thing bad about that is doc is saying he wants everybody back including scal, well i'm exaggerating but im sure you get my point we cant bring everybody back and bring in these two new players so somebody has to go and i think doc is just being polically correct right now!

cocossox
06-28-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOq7hvULlfY

Kid can fly! :clap:

Corey
06-28-2008, 05:27 PM
i think what you see from gidden is what you get. that is fine for this team but what happens in a few years?

Completely disagree here. He's 23, jumps out of the roof, and is still rough around the edges. If he gets a good coaching staff that's REALLY serious about increasing his development..he can be something special. I'm actually starting to really love this pick.

Brun"DMC"
06-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm from Kansas, I've seen JR Giddens play. He's the truth and a still at the #30 pick. He has a tremendious amount of athleticism. He partipated in the McDonald's All American Dunk contest and would have won it, if it wasn't for some guy named Lebron James. This guy has the ability to be a star in this league. What a steal.........

rufo4100
06-29-2008, 07:57 PM
only thing bad about that is doc is saying he wants everybody back including scal, well i'm exaggerating but im sure you get my point we cant bring everybody back and bring in these two new players so somebody has to go and i think doc is just being polically correct right now!

You know I have to admit you do have a good point here. Doc has come out and said he wants all free agents back(excpet PJ bc they expect him to retire)

69centers
06-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, Doc wants the same exact team back because they'll be less work for him as he knows them all already! Throwing a few monkey wrenches (new players) in the mix and Doc will lose his head again, trying to figure out who to put in the game, where and when. The new substitution issues will be a nightmare for him!

Ewagner
06-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Completely disagree here. He's 23, jumps out of the roof, and is still rough around the edges. If he gets a good coaching staff that's REALLY serious about increasing his development..he can be something special. I'm actually starting to really love this pick.

so basically what you just described is gerald green but older, 2 inches shorter, with an apparent attitude issue, and a better jump. how well did we develop gerald green by the way? our history of developing perimeter players isn't very good. don't give me rondo either. he is a role player who benefits from the players around him. i love rondo but you need to be realistic. he's no different then bj armstrong.

tonyd3b54
06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
gerald green didnt work out becuase he was ********... he couldnt even learn our playbook... he couldnt play defense on half the people in this forum....

bbd24
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I watched the Cal vs New Mexico game yesterday on ESPN U . Giddens had 26 pts, 13 reb, and 6 assists ( plus a couple steals and a block ).

What stood out the most is his length. When they say long, they mean long. Yeah, he's 6'5" , but he plays like he's 6'10". Defensively, he should be able to handle the 2, 3, and even sometimes the 4 on the opposing team (small ball). He's athletic as they come and his rebounding is Rondoesque. You'll love the way he stays in and rebounds.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
so basically what you just described is gerald green but older, 2 inches shorter, with an apparent attitude issue, and a better jump. how well did we develop gerald green by the way? our history of developing perimeter players isn't very good. don't give me rondo either. he is a role player who benefits from the players around him. i love rondo but you need to be realistic. he's no different then bj armstrong.

Difference: He can play defense.

aquaman117
06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
i watched him when he played for kansas, he got kicked off the team for off the court issues, he could've been a lottery pick if that wouldn't have happened

Ewagner
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
my point is we have a history of developing low post players and not a very good history of developing perimeter players. i still would have taken deandre jordan. the market is always flooded with guards. how many centers are there out there good or even servicable? jordan would have been servicable at worst. gidden will be a fine player but just another high flying guard. that is all i will say because i am just beating a dead horse because it won't change anything. here's to gidden being an allstar and slam dunk champion

Corey
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
my point is we have a history of developing low post players and not a very good history of developing perimeter players. i still would have taken deandre jordan. the market is always flooded with guards. how many centers are there out there good or even servicable? jordan would have been servicable at worst.

Wrong-o. Jordan wouldn't have been anything more than a big body off the bench. We can sign any washed up veteran, or unsigned draftee to do what Jordan would have been able to do this season.

He has no offensive game, he's rough on defense, so he would have been out there to pick up fouls. He's one of the biggest projects in the draft. He just isn't a fit for our team considering our age situation. We need players that will definitely be able to contribute now.

Giddens can ALREADY play defense on the NBA level. He already has 3pt range at the NBA level. He can already jump out of the roof. He is already a great rebounder for his size.

Get the point? Giddens knows how to, and can contribute to the team now, unlike a DeAndre Jordan would be able to.

Ewagner
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Wrong-o. Jordan wouldn't have been anything more than a big body off the bench. We can sign any washed up veteran, or unsigned draftee to do what Jordan would have been able to do this season.

He has no offensive game, he's rough on defense, so he would have been out there to pick up fouls. He's one of the biggest projects in the draft. He just isn't a fit for our team considering our age situation. We need players that will definitely be able to contribute now.

Giddens can ALREADY play defense on the NBA level. He already has 3pt range at the NBA level. He can already jump out of the roof. He is already a great rebounder for his size.

Get the point? Giddens knows how to, and can contribute to the team now, unlike a DeAndre Jordan would be able to.

this is the worst arguement ever. gidden is a 6'5 shooting guard who can jump. they walk out of college everyday. he was projected to go the lakers, in the second round. you can find can find an athletic 19 year old 7'0 that you can get guaranteed for 3 years at a base salary of under a million. really. that amazing the only one i see are the ones with european contracts. by the way this is giddens profile.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/jr-giddens-nba-draft-profile-42387

NBA ready?????????? in another profile i read he needs help on his mid range game.

Corey
07-02-2008, 02:15 AM
this is the worst arguement ever. gidden is a 6'5 shooting guard who can jump. they walk out of college everyday. he was projected to go the lakers, in the second round. you can find can find an athletic 19 year old 7'0 that you can get guaranteed for 3 years at a base salary of under a million. really. that amazing the only one i see are the ones with european contracts. by the way this is giddens profile.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/jr-giddens-nba-draft-profile-42387

NBA ready?????????? in another profile i read he needs help on his mid range game.

Yes, NBA ready. He can already contribute on the defensive end, he can already shoot 3's, and he can already get to the hoop at will. That's pretty good coming from a rookie if you ask me.

tonyd3b54
07-02-2008, 02:19 AM
the point is guards come a dime a dozen i woulda rather had jordan... u may say he has no offensive game wat so ever... niether did howard wen he came into teh league and his offensive game isnt that good now either... he simply gts his opints by out muscling and just jumping over people and dunking in there face... jordan has similar athletism and i dont think u should ever pass that up...

Ewagner
07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, NBA ready. He can already contribute on the defensive end, he can already shoot 3's, and he can already get to the hoop at will. That's pretty good coming from a rookie if you ask me.

can you read? here, i will cut and paste it for you. "Defense still needs improvement" this is for a guy that was light years more athletic than the competition around him. these were the top players from that conference this year.

1. Brandon Ewing, G, Wyoming
2. Luke Nevill, C, Utah
3. Trent Plaisted, C, BYU
4. Wink Adams, G, UNLV
5. JR Giddens, G, New Mexico

exactly who??? the only guy you have heard of is plaisted maybe. gidden has no mid-range game at all. all he does is dunk. his 3 pointer is inconsistent at best. i'm not sure where the three point shot came from considering he hit 25 all year last year. so as i will say again dime a dozen. i mean come on we bought a guy who is exactly the same in the second round in walker. same exact player. i guess gidden is shorter with no injury history.

mexceltic
07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
he left waltham...
no money no play

... is that the correct attitud?

Corey
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
can you read? here, i will cut and paste it for you. "Defense still needs improvement" this is for a guy that was light years more athletic than the competition around him. these were the top players from that conference this year.

1. Brandon Ewing, G, Wyoming
2. Luke Nevill, C, Utah
3. Trent Plaisted, C, BYU
4. Wink Adams, G, UNLV
5. JR Giddens, G, New Mexico

exactly who??? the only guy you have heard of is plaisted maybe. gidden has no mid-range game at all. all he does is dunk. his 3 pointer is inconsistent at best. i'm not sure where the three point shot came from considering he hit 25 all year last year. so as i will say again dime a dozen. i mean come on we bought a guy who is exactly the same in the second round in walker. same exact player. i guess gidden is shorter with no injury history.

Again, you're showing why you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Giddens only hit 25 3's? Guess what: He lowered his 3pt shot/game. He became a much more complete player this year. Giddens completely bought into the team game, and didn't force 3's like he used to.

Giddens has all the tools to become a great defender in the NBA. He should already be a good one. He's quick on his feet, can stay in front of opposing players, has quick hands and can get up for blocks, too.

And, want to talk about dime a dozen? His name is DeAndre Jordan. He won't be able to contribute consistently on the NBA level for a solid 3 years. (at least)...So guess what? You can sign any big body, that already knows the NBA game for the veterans minimum.

We're built to win now. We don't need a player that MIGHT work out in a handful of years. I don't know why you can't realize that.

69centers
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
i watched him when he played for kansas, he got kicked off the team for off the court issues, he could've been a lottery pick if that wouldn't have happened

Ainge stated he's confident after doing investigative work and speaking to Giddens himself, that those days are behind him. I've seen Giddens recent interview and he seems very down to earth, articulate, and mature. I don't think we'll have to worry about him.

Ewagner
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Again, you're showing why you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Giddens only hit 25 3's? Guess what: He lowered his 3pt shot/game. He became a much more complete player this year. Giddens completely bought into the team game, and didn't force 3's like he used to.

Giddens has all the tools to become a great defender in the NBA. He should already be a good one. He's quick on his feet, can stay in front of opposing players, has quick hands and can get up for blocks, too.

And, want to talk about dime a dozen? His name is DeAndre Jordan. He won't be able to contribute consistently on the NBA level for a solid 3 years. (at least)...So guess what? You can sign any big body, that already knows the NBA game for the veterans minimum.

We're built to win now. We don't need a player that MIGHT work out in a handful of years. I don't know why you can't realize that.

like i said from about 8 posts back i have no problem with gidden. to say he is ready to contribute is pushing it and you haven't shown me one piece of evidence saying differently. you think and he might but not one scouting report says gidden is nba ready on any level. up until the draft he was going to be lucky to get drafted. none of the drafts had him until the late second round to even being drafted at all. so instead of buying walker we could have bought gidden pretty easily i'm sure. he was a reach.

what's the problem with developing and winning at the same time? you can't do it? is it impossible? portland used to do it all the time. they would then take the guys they developed and trade them away for more talent. the celtics have now become a 3 year wonder. after the three, back to the basement. we sold or soul for a championship which is fine. but in three years you will be the guy sitting in here crying saying what happen.

Corey
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
like i said from about 8 posts back i have no problem with gidden. to say he is ready to contribute is pushing it and you haven't shown me one piece of evidence saying differently. you think and he might but not one scouting report says gidden is nba ready on any level. up until the draft he was going to be lucky to get drafted. none of the drafts had him until the late second round to even being drafted at all. so instead of buying walker we could have bought gidden pretty easily i'm sure. he was a reach.
He impressed just about every team he worked out for, actually. And, even if he contributes in a minor role, it's still going to be more than what DeAndre Jordan would have been able to do for our team, so I don't know where you're going with that argument.

Quote from Doc:
"We think he has a chance to fight for minutes right away because of his defense," Rivers said. "He's got incredible wingspan, great feet, and we feel that defensively he can be an NBA player right away. The other things we'll work on."
"We knew three or four teams (picking) right in front of us liked him. Several guys dropped and fell to those teams," Rivers said. "We thought as of like the 24th pick (of) the two guys that we liked one of them would be there."
:eyebrow:
Don't know what draft reports you were reading, but his stock boosted once teams got individual workouts with him.

what's the problem with developing and winning at the same time? you can't do it? is it impossible? portland used to do it all the time. they would then take the guys they developed and trade them away for more talent. the celtics have now become a 3 year wonder. after the three, back to the basement. we sold or soul for a championship which is fine. but in three years you will be the guy sitting in here crying saying what happen.
There is no problem with developing and winning now. The player that you're developing has to be able to make contributions to the team already, though. Honestly, what do you expect DeAndre Jordan to be able to do for us? He'd most likely either get sent to the D-League or sign a 1-2 year contract overseas. I can almost guarantee that if we drafted him, the front office would still go out and sign a veteran center to backup Perkins.

And, no. I won't be sitting here "crying" in 3 years. Guess why? Because we won a championship in my lifetime. Unlike some fans, I'll actually be able to cherish and remember that. Guess what else. We already have Rondo, Perk, Pruitt, Powe, Big Baby, Giddens, and Walker for the future. I like our chances.

Gordy
07-03-2008, 12:21 PM
This was so dumb of the Celtics drafting this guy...Yeah he's not terrible but there were so many players left that I thought they could have drafted...Chris Douglas Robets maybe..? I mean come on....Very disapointed in the way they drafted this year!

Corey
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
This was so dumb of the Celtics drafting this guy...Yeah he's not terrible but there were so many players left that I thought they could have drafted...Chris Douglas Robets maybe..? I mean come on....Very disapointed in the way they drafted this year!
From what I read post-draft...Giddens got the better of CDR every time they matched up in workouts.

Ewagner
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
He impressed just about every team he worked out for, actually. And, even if he contributes in a minor role, it's still going to be more than what DeAndre Jordan would have been able to do for our team, so I don't know where you're going with that argument.

Quote from Doc:
:eyebrow:
Don't know what draft reports you were reading, but his stock boosted once teams got individual workouts with him.

There is no problem with developing and winning now. The player that you're developing has to be able to make contributions to the team already, though. Honestly, what do you expect DeAndre Jordan to be able to do for us? He'd most likely either get sent to the D-League or sign a 1-2 year contract overseas. I can almost guarantee that if we drafted him, the front office would still go out and sign a veteran center to backup Perkins.

And, no. I won't be sitting here "crying" in 3 years. Guess why? Because we won a championship in my lifetime. Unlike some fans, I'll actually be able to cherish and remember that. Guess what else. We already have Rondo, Perk, Pruitt, Powe, Big Baby, Giddens, and Walker for the future. I like our chances.

you are 100% correct today gidden will contribute. not agruing that at all. what happens next year? this is a league of what have you done for me lately.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19067&draftyear=2008&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba draft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fplayerId%3d1906 7%26draftyear%3d2008

this is a quote from nbadraft.net.

With DeAndre Jordan, Mario Chalmers and CDR available here, you have to wonder if Ainge might have fixated on Giddens instead of taking one of the sliders.

he was so off the radar his profile was never updated from kansas.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/draft/prospect?contentId=8968977
i can't wait to see what you write about this one. i can probable quote it for you.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/draft/566846

pick one.

I'm sure they might have signed another center but what does that prove? they don't need to sign another guard because you can always find shooting guards. if your center goes down there aren't a lot of replacements. ask the lakers about that bynum went down.

and see your the problem. satisfied with one. i want to be a contender for a long time. Cause once you go in the lottery it's hard to get back out. that's why i look past what's right in front of me. if jordan never develops a offensive game who cares. he's young and athletic and will always be able to block shots and rebound. we could developed him like we have many of our other post players.

one last thing. never quote a coach who drafted a player. what do you expect him to say. we could have gotten this kid later we should have drafted this kid instead? please. name another team that was looking at gidden because i follow the draft pretty close and i never saw his name show up anywhere.

Ewagner
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
From what I read post-draft...Giddens got the better of CDR every time they matched up in workouts.

i was never a CDR fan to begin with. i think he was way over hyped. he reminds me of how they hyped Joakim Noah last year.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
All I Gotta Say Is Goodbye Tony Allen!!! Ill Miss Ya But O Well Hope It Works 4 U Somewhere Else

Wake's Fastball
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I'll admit I was pretty ticked off when I saw us pass up Jordan for Giddens, but I've come to really appreciate that decision. Jordan simply shouldn't have been taken by us. He refused to work out for any teams past pick #20, and if those teams didn't see anything in him that made them want to pick him (including teams like Charlotte and Indiana who have time to develop a player and desperately needed a big man), why would we choose him coming in blind? He did absolutely nothing important in college, and while the argument can be made that Giddens was in a class of his own talentwise in the MWC, the Big 12 wasn't exactly loaded with centers that can physically match up with Jordan. He's also got a piss-poor work ethic and attitude, and expresses maybe even more of the non-basketball concerns that plagued Giddens' draft stock.