PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest?

IndiansFan337
06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Artest is opting out....Maybe we should make him a F/A offer. He's the only guy that I have seen who is able to contain LeBron defensively. Imagine those two going at each other everyday in practice. I think he'd help LeBron improve offensively & defensively. We could then allow Artest to play SF & slide LeBron over to SG.

EdTheRevelator
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Can we even afford him?

Sbank
06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
It would be a risk but he would help our team. Only problem is do we have the money to sign him and does he want to come here to play?

Cowboy Up
06-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I love Artest. He's a head case but he's really one of the top 15 players in the league. He can average close to 20 a game and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Not only can he score, but he limits the scoring of the other team's star, which is like a mediocre defender scoring about 30.

I don't know if you guys have the money to throw at him but he could be the running mate that Bron needs to get over the hump and win a title.

IndiansFan337
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Can we even afford him?
Only if he took the MLE.

But no teams are under the cap, so he's going to have to take someone's MLE.

It would be a risk but he would help our team. Only problem is do we have the money to sign him and does he want to come here to play?
No idea. I would imagine he just wants to play for a contender.

Sbank
06-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Only if he took the MLE.

But no teams are under the cap, so he's going to have to take someone's MLE.

No idea. I would imagine he just wants to play for a contender.

If he wants to play on a contender that limits him to about a half the teams in the nba. I hope he would want to come and play with LeBron. That would make us much better.

IndiansFan337
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
If he wants to play on a contender that limits him to about a half the teams in the nba. I hope he would want to come and play with LeBron. That would make us much better.

I agree completely. I'm not saying signing him is realistic, but I am saying we should surely look into it. Because, as you said, he would make us much better -- both offensively & defensively.

infamous
06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
He said before he wants to play with lebron right after he got traded to Sacramento. So the cavs should try and pursue him. I think he would make the cavs a much better team. The cavs defense will surely be the best in the nba if they add Artest in the mix.

brownzfan19
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I will say the same as the last guy. When artest was looking to be traded from indiana he said the only two teams that interested him was new york and the cavaliers

_Sn1P3r_
06-29-2008, 12:25 AM
He would be sick in Cavs. LeBron could get him some open looks and Artest could create shots for himself. Also, he is a defensive upgrade.

IndiansFan337
06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
He would be sick in Cavs. LeBron could get him some open looks and Artest could create shots for himself. Also, he is a defensive upgrade.

I'd imagine that him & LeBron would go at each other very hard every day & that would make them both even better, which is hard to imagine.

bigalow80
07-02-2008, 01:07 AM
he decided to stay with the kings...this is even better news for the cavs. they can make a trade instead of having to fork over a huge contract. artest and udina (starting pg)? for wally and av.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
he decided to stay with the kings...this is even better news for the cavs. they can make a trade instead of having to fork over a huge contract. artest and udina (starting pg)? for wally and av.

Yea this is good news if we were to go after him at all. I would love to see Artest in a Cavs Uniform. Only thing is wouldn't it be wierd to have Ben Wallace and Ron Artest on the same team? ( Brawl at Palace)

infamous
07-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Yea this is good news if we were to go after him at all. I would love to see Artest in a Cavs Uniform. Only thing is wouldn't it be wierd to have Ben Wallace and Ron Artest on the same team? ( Brawl at Palace)
Good point. It will be awkward for them to play together, since they both started the brawl in the palace. I think this is going to be an issue for both players. So I'm guessing there is no chance for artest in the cavs uniform. Artest would hesitate to be in the cavs or maybe pull some temper tantrums(if he will be a cavs) for this reason alone, and we don't want that.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Good point. It will be awkward for them to play together, since they both started the brawl in the palace. I think this is going to be an issue for both players. So I'm guessing there is no chance for artest in the cavs uniform. Artest would hesitate to be in the cavs or maybe pull some temper tantrums(if he will be a cavs) for this reason alone, and we don't want that.

Yea it would be a shame if Cavs do hesitate. Especially if its over a grudge.. :pity:

infamous
07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Yea it would be a shame if Cavs do hesitate. Especially if its over a grudge.. :pity:
We dont want the cavs chemistry to be messed up. I do want artest to be a cavs, but at what price? I hope they can patch something up. Dang, I havent really thought about this one till now :D. I was really hoping artest would be traded to the cavs.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Maybe its all left behind though considering Mike Brown was the guy tackling Artest in the brawl (in the stands:pity:). We would have the whole crew..

infamous
07-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Maybe its all left behind though considering Mike Brown was the guy tackling Artest in the brawl (in the stands:pity:). We would have the whole crew..
LOL! I hope they can work something out.

harm0n1x
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Not only has Artest stated in the past he would like to play for Cleveland, and with LeBron, todays SportsCenter had a story on him regretting his decision to stay with the Kings. With that in mind, I would not doubt Ferry is on the phone right now possibly trying to work something out. Yes, he and Wallace have a past, but it's not like they would ruin the chemistry of the team, I'm pretty sure they all have one thing in common, to win a title. Plus, wouldn't you like someone like Artest to have LeBrons back when people are constantly going after him? Ferry needs to do something, he knows he does, the fans are growing very anxious and with the rumors of LeBron and 2010 with the Knicks or Nets, he better know he has to do something. So why not have Artest trade "the Kings" for "The King"? I'm just saying, with that SC story, I'm smelling a sign and trade..

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Not only has Artest stated in the past he would like to play for Cleveland, and with LeBron, todays SportsCenter had a story on him regretting his decision to stay with the Kings. With that in mind, I would not doubt Ferry is on the phone right now possibly trying to work something out. Yes, he and Wallace have a past, but it's not like they would ruin the chemistry of the team, I'm pretty sure they all have one thing in common, to win a title. Plus, wouldn't you like someone like Artest to have LeBrons back when people are constantly going after him? Ferry needs to do something, he knows he does, the fans are growing very anxious and with the rumors of LeBron and 2010 with the Knicks or Nets, he better know he has to do something. So why not have Artest trade "the Kings" for "The King"? I'm just saying, with that SC story, I'm smelling a sign and trade..

Oh man I :pray:wish Artest was a Cavalier. Imagine our DEFENSE!

BigJigga55
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
DANNY FERRY PLZ BRING US RON ARTEST....... Ron Artest and lebron going at each other everyday in practice making each other better would be a nightmare for the rest of the league....if you are able too add ron artest you have by far the best defence in the league .....a true 20 point 10 board guy every night who also can play down low and bang to go with lebron who needs a banger....if you bring in artest all i see in cleveland is "poppin bottles winning championship rings"

Talm
07-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Just because it's been mentioned a couple times already, I felt the need to intervene here. LeBron and Artest may do some one on one scrimmaging if we were to acquire him, however it would be very limited. Generally, it's more important for your first team to learn to play together rather than against each other, so LeBron and Artest would be on the same side during practices. I'm not quite as gung-ho about him as some others here are, as I do not see our defense as a weakness and I feel it already is championship-caliber. The real weakness for the Cavaliers is their stagnant offense, which is partly Mike Brown's fault for not putting in a good system, partly Danny Ferry's fault for not providing the necessary pieces for an offense to function well, and partly LeBron's fault for breaking routine plays and trying to create his own shot a little too often.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Just because it's been mentioned a couple times already, I felt the need to intervene here. LeBron and Artest may do some one on one scrimmaging if we were to acquire him, however it would be very limited. Generally, it's more important for your first team to learn to play together rather than against each other, so LeBron and Artest would be on the same side during practices. I'm not quite as gung-ho about him as some others here are, as I do not see our defense as a weakness and I feel it already is championship-caliber. The real weakness for the Cavaliers is their stagnant offense, which is partly Mike Brown's fault for not putting in a good system, partly Danny Ferry's fault for not providing the necessary pieces for an offense to function well, and partly LeBron's fault for breaking routine plays and trying to create his own shot a little too often.

Artest has been a solid scoring player for his career. I think Artest would be the best option mainly because he fits into Mike Browns system mentally (defense) not only mentally but he is still top 5 best defenders in the league.Cavs defense still has one need a perimeter defender.

IndiansFan337
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm just saying, with that SC story, I'm smelling a sign and trade..
S&T involving who? :confused:

Artest is already signed for next year. And at a very affordable price.

we do already have a championship caliber defense. And our offense is stagnant. Now most of the time if we make a change it would most likely add offense, but subtract defensively. Adding Artest doesn't do that. He helps us maintain that great defense -- possibly even make it better.....While improving our offense as well. With Artest/LBJ on the wings we'd have a HUGE lineup. What team could match up with a 260 lb SG & SF?! I don't think any team could match up defensively with those two on the wings & 2 of our bigs down low. We also could go small with either at PF, at times.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
S&T involving who? :confused:

Artest is already signed for next year. And at a very affordable price.

we do already have a championship caliber defense. And our offense is stagnant. Now most of the time if we make a change it would most likely add offense, but subtract defensively. Adding Artest doesn't do that. He helps us maintain that great defense -- possibly even make it better.....While improving our offense as well. With Artest/LBJ on the wings we'd have a HUGE lineup. What team could match up with a 260 lb SG & SF?! I don't think any team could match up defensively with those two on the wings & 2 of our bigs down low. We also could go small with either at PF, at times.

It would be a good trade because we wouldn't lose anything in our strength (defense). We would gain a guy who works hard on both ends of the court on a consistent basis.

infamous
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Artest as a cavalier will help the cavs significantly.

artest+cavs= a championship team IMO

Do it ferry!

Kings Faithful
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Artest is big time. And for those of you who thinks he messes up chemistry, he doesn't. People just believe that because espn likes to run him off as a complete lunatic. He's an intelligent guy, he just gets emotional. There are about 10 teams who could seriously use Artest, including the Cavs. Whoever gets Artest out of those 10 could be seeing a championship next year.

IndiansFan337
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Artest as a cavalier will help the cavs significantly.

artest+cavs= a championship team IMO

Do it ferry!
He surely would improve our chances...

Artest is big time. And for those of you who thinks he messes up chemistry, he doesn't. People just believe that because espn likes to run him off as a complete lunatic. He's an intelligent guy, he just gets emotional. There are about 10 teams who could seriously use Artest, including the Cavs. Whoever gets Artest out of those 10 could be seeing a championship next year.
He won't mess up chemistry, because he's all about W's. But if he loses control of his emotions & get suspended or does something stupid then he is not helping the team any longer, therefore, he is hurting the team...Which was counting on him. That's the only downside with this guy, IMO. Also, the fact that he is a F/A following this season makes me feel that he will be on his best behavior next season, no matter which team he ends up on....

youdamanlbj
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
what about AV straight up for Artest... You wont be tied upwith him long term if it doesnt work out. Andy will opt out next year anyways...

IndiansFan337
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
what about AV straight up for Artest... You wont be tied upwith him long term if it doesnt work out. Andy will opt out next year anyways...

They wanted Varejao/Gooden last year when we were trying to get Bibby....So I think they would do that if we also included a 1st round pick, since Artest > Varejao, in terms of talent.

AMC31
07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Artest would be a great fit, and hopefully him and Ben would forget about the past.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Artest would be a great fit, and hopefully him and Ben would forget about the past.

Yea I'm sure Ben and Ron would be fine I was just throwing that out there just for the fun of it.

Kings Faithful
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually i didn't really think about the problem of Ben Wallace and Artest together. I really don't know how well they would get along because i distinctly remember a game between the Kings and the Bulls when Wallace was on the Bulls. At the beginning of the game Wallace went around greeting all the Kings but when he came to Artest he just completely cold shouldered him and stared him down. So idk....

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Actually i didn't really think about the problem of Ben Wallace and Artest together. I really don't know how well they would get along because i distinctly remember a game between the Kings and the Bulls when Wallace was on the Bulls. At the beginning of the game Wallace went around greeting all the Kings but when he came to Artest he just completely cold shouldered him and stared him down. So idk....

Yea I'm sure they wouldn't turn into best buddies. Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that more then anything they both have one thing in common they want a ring, and that is what means most for a team.

Morethanmo
07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree Artest would be a great pick-up. You'd have to slide Lebron to SG, but I don't really see that being much of a problem. Artest makes our line-up huge (no one except the point under 6'7" --something Mike Brown would love on D--not to mention Wallace and Artest on the same squad makes a very formidable defense, even if Ben's aging quickly). Artest has also added some range to his game in the last few years and can space the floor pretty effectively as a shooter. I'd really like the addition, but I'm not sure exactly what we have to offer the Kings in a trade. Picks I guess, but unless they really want him out of town they won't be interested in expiring contracts since Artest's expires after this year anyway. They might have some interest in Varejao though, he'd probably be the starter there.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree Artest would be a great pick-up. You'd have to slide Lebron to SG, but I don't really see that being much of a problem. Artest makes our line-up huge (no one except the point under 6'7" --something Mike Brown would love on D--not to mention Wallace and Artest on the same squad makes a very formidable defense, even if Ben's aging quickly). Artest has also added some range to his game in the last few years and can space the floor pretty effectively as a shooter. I'd really like the addition, but I'm not sure exactly what we have to offer the Kings in a trade. Picks I guess, but unless they really want him out of town they won't be interested in expiring contracts since Artest's expires after this year anyway. They might have some interest in Varejao though, he'd probably be the starter there.

Yea I doubt Cavs have what it takes to get him, especially considering like you said a expiring contract. Wally is a more valuable expiring contract though he is more money coming off the books. So maybe we could get like Shareef or one of the Kings bigger contracts might make trading Artest look more attractive when they would be getting rid of large and unwanted contracts.

IndiansFan337
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Yea I doubt Cavs have what it takes to get him, especially considering like you said a expiring contract. Wally is a more valuable expiring contract though he is more money coming off the books. So maybe we could get like Shareef or one of the Kings bigger contracts might make trading Artest look more attractive when they would be getting rid of large and unwanted contracts.

They want to get rid of Kenny Thomas, I remember they kept trying to pawn him off on the Cavs in the Mike Bibby trade talks. I bet they'd trade us Artest & Thomas for Wally & a 1st round pick. That seems like we'd be taking on quite a bit...But if you think about it realistically, is there any better options available right now than Artest? I don't think so. So I'd be willing to make this deal, although it would worry me that Artest only has one year remaining on his contract & could then bolt.