PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Mbenga And Ira Newble

lakers4ever
06-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Do you guys think bringing back mbenga and ira is a good thing? To me its good. They are cheap and especially mbenga can play defense and slowly developing his shooting skill. Ira can play pretty good defense on most of the players.

i wouldnt mind bringing them both back since they're so cheap...it wouldnt hurt the lakers much:D

kb24ap28
06-26-2008, 03:03 AM
a waste in my opinion. when do they ever play?

lamar2006
06-26-2008, 03:39 AM
no

gr824
06-26-2008, 04:14 AM
a waste in my opinion. when do they ever play?

Practice, for the most part ... Players who occupy the 11th through 15th spots on an NBA roster generally fit into one or more of three categories and serve their purposes [ and earn their money ] accordingly:

Some are young players that teams want to retain the rights to, for the moment at least, in order to see if they might develop into rotational players a year or two down the road -- often these players spend time in the NBDL [ think Coby Karl on the current Lakers ].

Others are veterans who may have some holes in their game for a variety of reasons, but they can provide minutes here and there when called upon under the right matchup conditions and they also represent 'injury insurance' should one or more of the team's frontline players go down [ the role that guys like Luke Walton and Chris Mihm will likely find themselves in next season if they are wearing Purple & Gold ].

And, lastly, young and/or veteran players who are on the bubble 'rotationally', yet are very active and useful in practice to 'push' the guys higher on the depth chart to improved performance, sharpening everyone's skills in the process. Guys in that category may eventually work into the rotation, but, even if they do not, they also provide 'injury insurance' in addition to earning their paychecks during practice. This latter category is the one that Newble and Mbenga probably fit in best and, unless there are other prospects readily available for the Lakers to secure cheaply this summer in lieu of them, they may very well return next fall to fulfill their roles again ...

dru5151
06-26-2008, 04:47 AM
I dont see much use of Ira Newble...
I do like Mbenga more than Mihms though...

GermanLakersFan
06-26-2008, 04:57 AM
I would resign Mbenga only if no veteran with some real experience is available, if Diop would come for the BAE (1.9 mill) i would rather have him.

And Ira well...no...rather offer the full MLE to Posey! Of course only if Artest decides not to come for the MLE (which is very likely).

Farmar/Fisher
Kobe/Sasha
Odom/Posey
Gasol/Turiaf
Bynum/Diop

Those 2 strings would be great...the 3rd string is not that important anyway.

DC Laker
06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
This is the last sentence on the post season, not the first one...

If we make some deals and have open roster spots then sure.

For example if we make a multi player trade and get Artest... Sure those guys can have spots.

If we trade Odom for a couple players... No open spots... See ya guys, best of luck!

If we get Posey or another solid player with the MLE, no space left, thanks for stopping by.

This is of no real importance. Again the last decision to make, not the first one.

E-ROC
06-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Mbenga will be re-signed. No doubt about that. I think he'll even get more tick next season.

lakers4ever
07-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I believe that mbenga will be resign due to his size and cheap...i still dont get why dont we resign ira though he barely get to any chance to play for us...sign him cheap and let him show us what he can do to the team

plpfctn
07-09-2008, 04:41 AM
phil jackson won't play them so why should they be on the team?

Iceman_9
07-09-2008, 08:05 AM
How many games did they play for the team? :D

rhensley3
07-09-2008, 09:32 AM
this is a prime example of how dumb the lakers CAN be. mbenga is getting paid 1.9 mil by the mavs next year, so keeping him will be cheap. he is a servicable player who knows the system to a degree. newble is a defensive strength on a roster full of zero-defense-playing show ponys. everybody is saying "we need defense", and yet here's a good defensive player that, apparently, is not gonna be here because we have 10 million dollars invested in walton and radmanovic next year. and people wonder why kobe had doubts about this organization...

shakobe33
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
this is a prime example of how dumb the lakers CAN be. mbenga is getting paid 1.9 mil by the mavs next year, so keeping him will be cheap. he is a servicable player who knows the system to a degree. newble is a defensive strength on a roster full of zero-defense-playing show ponys. everybody is saying "we need defense", and yet here's a good defensive player that, apparently, is not gonna be here because we have 10 million dollars invested in walton and radmanovic next year. and people wonder why kobe had doubts about this organization...

Cough:firstteamalldefense:Cough...

Anyway, you could not be more wrong. Why do you think Newble never got any PT? It wouldn't have anything with the coach not having a place for him right? I mean, the coach who saw him every day in practice wouldn't have a clue if it was best for him to play or not right? I'm sure your opinion of his play is much more on point. :rolleyes:

We just got beat out in 6 games in the NBA Finals. Why should anybody have doubts about where this organization is headed?