PDA

View Full Version : Ben Sheets in ATLANTA in 09 ???

THE_FLASH_21
06-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Ben Sheets reported that he will opt out of contract and will be a free agent next season... We will ask for alot of money.... Do we trade Texy this year and save money to go after sheets??? He's 9-1, 2.59 era, and leads the league in complete games with 3. I've always liked Sheets, but is he a injury waiting to happen guy... Is he really worth the top BUCKS ?????

Your thoughts.....

robdizzle3
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I dont what to trade Tex because I think we will be in the playoffs but like JM and some other people in this thread mentioned I would trade with the Bosox but unless we ge blown away or we are out of it then we trade.If we are going to pay big bucks for a starter who is injury prone it would be Rich Harden or I would go after C.C Sabathia but I would offer Ben a contract but I would think twice

Coach100
06-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Sheets seems high risk, high reward. When healthy, he is dominant. But I don't know that after this year (Hampton, Smoltz, Glavine, Sori, Gonzo, Moylan) the Braves will invest a lot of money in an injury prone pitcher.

The Braves always seem totrde for big pieces, not sign them. All of their last big additions, Hudson, Renty, Tex, Hampton (when they added him) Sori, and Gonzo were trades. I don't see that trend changing, so I expect that the Braves will find a trade to bring in another top-of-the-rotation arm.

THE_FLASH_21
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Ben Sheets is a high risk.... depends on how much money he wants!!

braves790
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
You said it FLASH. It all depends on that price tag of his. For a guy who hasn't pitched more than 160 innings since 04 I think I'll pass unless he's real cheap. See Mike Hampton for more details

jmtapia
06-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Im with all of you guys. I would be very hesitant to sign Sheets long term. However, some team will. He would be a great add to out team.

Im pretty confident we can add him and still kept Tex.

If we look at it here is the money coming off our books:
Tex...........$12 Mill
Smoltz.......$14 Mill
Hampton....$15 Mill
Glavine......$8 Mill
Kotsay.......$3 Mill
------------------------
Total ........$52 Mill.

Lots of money coming off the books. We can give Tex his $20 Mill a year and we can go out and get a Sheets or even CC. Id much rather try to get CC instead of Sheets. They should only be a few million apart to what the heck. In a couple years we will have Chipper and Hudson off the books and we can start signing players long term. I think this offseason we will sign KJ and Esco long term.

irishfan1582
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I mentioned the possibility of Ben Sheets in Atlanta before and a ton of people shot it down because of his injury history. But i think you have to take that chance, to an extent. The team will be in need of a front line starter for the next few years to compliment Hudson and keep the team from having to rely so heavly on the younger less experienced players. I think Ben Sheets can be that player.

Hell, let Tex walk and try to sign both C.C and Sheets. Can't i dream big?

BRAVE KID
06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
^sure you can but it is going to go in the dream trade thread.

jmtapia
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
^^How is it a dream trade when were just signing not trading for them.

jmtapia
06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
i think we can get Sheets for 3 years $45-50 Mill

nps6724
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I just wouldn't trust Sheets. If he's healthy, it's as close to an automatic win as you can get. But he hasn't had 30 starts since '04. $15+ mil per year is steep for a guy who can't stay on the field, even more when he's the ace. If we get him, that's a big chunk of our budget gone and if he misses 10 or so starts, we'll be in the same position we are now with Smoltz down.

BRAVE KID
06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
^^How is it a dream trade when were just signing not trading for them.regardless it is a dream is it not? anything that is a dream goes there.

jmtapia
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
regardless it is a dream is it not? anything that is a dream goes there.
i guess the thread should be renamed then...

BRAVE KID
06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
i guess the thread should be renamed then...if it matters that much then so be it

jmtapia
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
^^not that it does but a trade and a signing have a lot of difference and probabilities involved.

tomno00
06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
would love to have him, but he will have more injury problems in the future... power pitchers just put to much strain on their arms.

Slash
06-26-2008, 01:11 AM

No way Sheets signs for 3 only years. Probably not even 4 and his agent will be pushing 6 or 7. He'll probably get 5 years @ $100M.

The only thing that could limit him to a 4 year contract is GMs nervous about SF hamstringing themselves with the Zito contract.

Braves28Herbs7
06-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Im saying no to this and only for one reason. The braves dont need more worries about injurys. Id rather use the cap that we get on someone who we can trust and rely on being healthy. Its not worth risking so much money on a pitcher just for them to get injured. I mean look at what hamptons done for us.

THE_FLASH_21
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM

yeah.... and maybe we can add Bonuses for innings, games and other stuff!!!

THE_FLASH_21
06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
No way Sheets signs for 3 only years. Probably not even 4 and his agent will be pushing 6 or 7. He'll probably get 5 years @ $100M.

The only thing that could limit him to a 4 year contract is GMs nervous about SF hamstringing themselves with the Zito contract.

NO TEAM is that STUPID!

metsbulls1025
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
To get both C.C. and Sheets you will invest alittle over 175 million on 2 pitchers and one with a health issue. Yall should look at Brad Penny.

jmtapia
06-27-2008, 09:49 PM

He wont get that long term commitment bc he is injury prone. A Jason Schimdt type deal is what he most likely gets.

jmtapia
06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
yeah.... and maybe we can add Bonuses for innings, games and other stuff!!!

yeah thats the only way i can see him getting elite money.

jmtapia
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
To get both C.C. and Sheets you will invest alittle over 175 million on 2 pitchers and one with a health issue. Yall should look at Brad Penny.

Brad Penny has been battling arm injuries. And he isnt a long term fix.

THE_FLASH_21
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd Love Brad Penny coming out of our bull-pen...

braves790
06-28-2008, 11:58 AM
^^Uh FLASH question why would you want Penny in the pen? And I highly doubt he would go down there anyways!

jmtapia
06-28-2008, 03:41 PM
^^^ Probaby bc he doenst want him in the rotation....

THE_FLASH_21
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
^^Uh FLASH question why would you want Penny in the pen? And I highly doubt he would go down there anyways!

Whatver/..... doesn't matter.. out of the bullpen or a starter.. all i know he can help our team pitching wise, even more...

serGeant
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Sheets has too much of that Mark Prior/Kerry Wood/Rich Harden potential. Lets the Yankees, Mets, or someone else overpay him. The Braves will have multiple needs next season and cannot commit that much cash to one pitcher, especially one with Sheets' injury history.

iTs_BoOgA
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Roy oswalt?

jmtapia
07-03-2008, 04:15 AM
^^^NO THANKS. What we would have to give up for him makes me shiver.

BRAVESFAN77
07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
We really dont need Sheets. We have a pretty darn good rotation in the kids and all are young and all are healthy. What we need is position players who can hit. We need to let Tex walk and say goodby to Hampton and Glavine for sure. Smoltz will be back.

In the offseason we need to pay for a pen. We have a terrible pen who cant hold a lead and a terrible bench. Miller has got to go. Man my kids can play better then he can and thats not saying much.

We have the pitchers in Hudson, Jurrjens, Reyes, Camp and Morton. What we need is a lineup behind them. Players who can hit the ball and play as a team again. These players are now all playing for themselves. Everyone wants to be the star and they are all trash right now. Time to wake them up. Resigning Tex would be a very big mistake. We need some players who will bring some flash. It will rub off on the rest of the team.

We dont trade or add our starters, we fix the problem, the lineup.

Humongo
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't rely on Campillo going forward. He's a junkballer who IMO has gotten lucky in his first go round in the NL. Plus he's got anger problems. I remember him aiming one of those barely 80 MPH fastballs at Vlad's head last year after Vlad smoked one of his curveballs into the seats. This was after Campillo plunked Mathis in retaliation for Jered Weaver knicking Johjima with (IIRC) what was a breaking pitch.

jmtapia
07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't rely on Campillo going forward. He's a junkballer who IMO has gotten lucky in his first go round in the NL. Plus he's got anger problems. I remember him aiming one of those barely 80 MPH fastballs at Vlad's head last year after Vlad smoked one of his curveballs into the seats. This was after Campillo plunked Mathis in retaliation for Jered Weaver knicking Johjima with (IIRC) what was a breaking pitch.

i dont trust him either but for now he is doing an adequate job. I doubt his anger problems are of any concern.

nps6724
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Wow, jump to conclusions much? THAT'S having anger problems? Get real.

jmtapia
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
We really dont need Sheets. We have a pretty darn good rotation in the kids and all are young and all are healthy. What we need is position players who can hit. We need to let Tex walk and say goodby to Hampton and Glavine for sure. Smoltz will be back.

In the offseason we need to pay for a pen. We have a terrible pen who cant hold a lead and a terrible bench. Miller has got to go. Man my kids can play better then he can and thats not saying much.

We have the pitchers in Hudson, Jurrjens, Reyes, Camp and Morton. What we need is a lineup behind them. Players who can hit the ball and play as a team again. These players are now all playing for themselves. Everyone wants to be the star and they are all trash right now. Time to wake them up. Resigning Tex would be a very big mistake. We need some players who will bring some flash. It will rub off on the rest of the team.

We dont trade or add our starters, we fix the problem, the lineup.

IMO Smoltz is done. And for the Braves i hope it is as well. I dont want to spend more money on aging pitchers just because of our loyalty.

I think your way off in your assertion that we need a pen. Dont forget that that our main problem is that we havent had any one to close out games. Our pen has one of the best ERA and if we take away the 9th inning we have the best pen in the league. For our misfortune our pen injuries couldnt have been any a worse. Moylan was suppose to be our set up man but gone. Soriano our closer but gone. Gonzo seems to be back to form. Next season we should have all 3 back and we should be set, of course baring injuries.

Not exactly sure if your last sentence states that we should fix our Lineup and leave our rotation as it is. If thats the case i agree with you half ways. First, yes we need to go get an OF bat. Hopefully we land some one like Bay. However, i believe we need to go for another quality SP. Just look at Morton and Campillo their last times out. One of the two are bound to fall off if not both. I dont trust Morton bc so far he has been all hype. Besides a good numbers this season in AAA he hasnt really done much. For that matter i dont trust Campillo either.

All in all we need a trade. Either for a bat and arm or we need to deal Tex.