PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Jones is back!

bestlakersfan
06-25-2008, 02:21 AM
I know many of you probably don't recognize the name, but think back to last year. Yea, remember the guy who was at AAA in Vegas then we let him go to Japan for nothing? Yea that guy, the one who was hitting .303 with an unreal 1.099 OPS, 19 HRs and 60 RBIs in 52 games.

Well... he's back! In 4 games and 16 AB's he already has 2 HRs and 4 RBIs. The guy can play the corner outfield and infield positions. He has a ton of power and just has never had his chance. I say it is damn near time to clean this team and organization of some players/prospects that we will never fully use and get something for them. IMO, these people include, Ethier, LaRoche/DeWitt (one or the other), Xavier Paul, Eric Stults, John Lindsey, Orenduff and Brazoban...and that's just reaching to AAA.

Anyways, the point of this thread is Mitch Jones. After a month or so in AAA this guy needs to come up and stay up. His numbers are just way to good to stay in AAA. He needs a chance. Cut some people (Sweeney and Bennett) and trade some (see above).

pmmr2113
06-25-2008, 02:51 AM
he should get a chance. but trading dewitt, ethier, or laroche would be plain stupid

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Cool I guess. I'm going to say the usual, dump Sweeney and open up the spot to one of these minor leaguers.

dave
06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Lindsey at first
dewit or laRoche at second if one is sent down
Hu at short if he starts to play [trouble with his eyes
Tiffe at third, still hitting 400
elis catching, still hitting, 399
repko in right
Xpual in center hitting 305
Jones in left

starters, Ordenuff, Johnson, Pinango, , relief Koopove a few more pitchers and they will have a triple A power house.

Tymathee
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Wow, this guy can really hit. Why has he never made the majors?

O wait...other than his high strikeout rate and low batting average o.O .246 lifetime in the minors...and in 30 games he's already struck out 30 times. Uhh, why are you so excited about this guy again? Hmm, and he also is a bad fielder. 14 errors at 1B? a .874 FP at 3B? wow dude, chill out he's not that good, he just has some power but he's definitely not major league marterial

darth550
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Lindsey at first
repko in right
Jones in left

starters, Ordenuff, Johnson, Pinango, , relief Koopove a few more pitchers and they will have a triple A power house.

Then we can trade them all (plus Pierre and Kent with their entire salaries) to Seattle for Beltre, riiiiight?

grizz8884
06-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Lindsey at first
repko in right
Jones in left

Damn I need to catch a LV51s game then...

Az_Dodgers_Fan
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
how old is he? is he another of those 30+ yo minor leaguers?

dave
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
So he and others are not the answer for the Dodgers. But Jones can play right..left..first and third and in the age of 12 man pitching staffs you need a guy who can back up those postions.

4everblue
06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
And tiffee was hitting .698 when called up, then was DFA and he is SO GOOD that no team claimed him. AAA players are just that, AAA players.

GameOver21
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Im not against giving somebody a shot but there is a reason that players like this dont get the call. As mentioned earlier, AAA players are just that, however there are exceptions to the rule. Like many of you, I dont know if Mitch will be the exception but there is something to be said that about the fact that many (if not all) clubs are aware of these players but still pass on them.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Bump. **** this guy can hit... Seriously.

cuttygiantsfan
07-01-2008, 04:00 AM
mike jones???

cuttygiantsfan
07-01-2008, 04:00 AM
who?

cuttygiantsfan
07-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Mike Jones

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-01-2008, 04:05 AM
4-5, 2 runs, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 6 RBI today on the big Nomar/Raffy/Jones comeback, I was impressed. Hitting .294 with something like 7 HR's in 40 something AB's since getting back. Not sure on the total logistics, but if it's raw power we want, he's got it.

Iceman_9
07-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Give him a chance. OUr offense is just simply terrible these days..

dan1to
07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
4-5, 2 runs, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 6 RBI today on the big Nomar/Raffy/Jones comeback, I was impressed. Hitting .294 with something like 7 HR's in 40 something AB's since getting back. Not sure on the total logistics, but if it's raw power we want, he's got it.

You also have to realize that he probably got some good pitches to hit. If you were a pitcher wouldnt you rather pitch to M. Jones than Furcal, A. Jones, and Nomar?

swells2048
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
You also have to realize that he probably got some good pitches to hit. If you were a pitcher wouldnt you rather pitch to M. Jones than Furcal, A. Jones, and Nomar?

They weren't around before last night and he was still doing very well. 5 HR in around 40 ABs is still pretty good.

c2thab
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
This guy can just flat out mash!! I was very impressed last night watching a AAA game to see how our injured trio of stars were doing and this guy steals the show. I dont care what level you are on, if you go 4-5 and miss the cycle by a single w/ 6 RBI's thats impressive. Heres to hoping he continues this tear and we see him in Dodger blue soon! :cheers:

bestlakersfan
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Cut Sweeney, bring up Jones. Do it now!

Ohh, and for those people who complain about him striking out a lot, it is ok because he has a ton of power. Why trade two players and get Dunn when you have a Dunn type player here? Stop seeing the grass as being greener on the other side.

Sometimes I just don't get management. You are desperately looking for power and don't look from within for solutions? Give the guy a f'n shot already.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 12:26 PM
He can't field, he has a life time average of about .240, .250. If he's figured out how to hit yeah i'll do it but his SO's won't get cut down in the majors, they'll only go up. I'm not impressed. Anyone remember Chin-Feng Chen? He hit tons HR's in the minors but couldn't get it done in the majors and he had better numbers than Jones so posh.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2674

bestlakersfan
07-01-2008, 01:11 PM
He can't field, he has a life time average of about .240, .250. If he's figured out how to hit yeah i'll do it but his SO's won't get cut down in the majors, they'll only go up. I'm not impressed. Anyone remember Chin-Feng Chen? He hit tons HR's in the minors but couldn't get it done in the majors and he had better numbers than Jones so posh.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2674

I see your point, but at the same time did you think DeWitt was going to do what he did? Or better yet, did you think Chin-Feng Chen would turn out the way he did? How about Russell Martin?

My point is you have to give people a chance and see what they can do for you. Mitch Jones needs a chance.

sidg
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I see your point, but at the same time did you think DeWitt was going to do what he did? Or better yet, did you think Chin-Feng Chen would turn out the way he did? How about Russell Martin?

My point is you have to give people a chance and see what they can do for you. Mitch Jones needs a chance.

Exactly right !

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM

i'm not against it but to say he's so great bring him up he's a banger is stupid and reckless. A lot of people are talking like he's goign to be the savior of the dodgers offense, I highly doubt he is. All I'm doing is promoting caution and not try to talk like this guy is so great cuz he's cleary not.

as for dewitt and martin, never heard of 'em before the year they came up so no. But no one knew about Piazza before he came up and Karros and Mondesi. Sometimes, it just works out. but ther'es a reason a 31 yr old minor league outfieler has yet to crack the majors despite all the HR's he's hit and why he was cut by the dodgers last year, went to japan and then all of a sudden he comes back this year. somethin aint right

gagnefan38
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jones%2C%20M%20%20RF&pos=&sid=t400&t=p_pbp&pid=462536

Take note 34 AB's. Impressive beginning!

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-02-2008, 01:30 AM
i'm not against it but to say he's so great bring him up he's a banger is stupid and reckless. A lot of people are talking like he's goign to be the savior of the dodgers offense, I highly doubt he is. All I'm doing is promoting caution and not try to talk like this guy is so great cuz he's cleary not.

as for dewitt and martin, never heard of 'em before the year they came up so no. But no one knew about Piazza before he came up and Karros and Mondesi. Sometimes, it just works out. but ther'es a reason a 31 yr old minor league outfieler has yet to crack the majors despite all the HR's he's hit and why he was cut by the dodgers last year, went to japan and then all of a sudden he comes back this year. somethin aint right

Hey look, I ain't saying this guy is a savior or some ****, all I'm saying is at the bottom of the 8th, down by one run, 2 outs, nobody on... Who do you want to come out to bat for the pitcher? I want a guy who has a **** show in hell of smacking a run without JP having to hit him in next AB, a home run hitter. Strikeouts or not this guy can mash a ball. All it takes is one mistake to be back in the game, not three consecutive hits.

Can he hit less than .100 like our pinch hitting expert who is a doubles at best hitter anyway? I believe not, and even if he was there's still hope.

Tymathee
07-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Hey look, I ain't saying this guy is a savior or some ****, all I'm saying is at the bottom of the 8th, down by one run, 2 outs, nobody on... Who do you want to come out to bat for the pitcher? I want a guy who has a **** show in hell of smacking a run without JP having to hit him in next AB, a home run hitter. Strikeouts or not this guy can mash a ball. All it takes is one mistake to be back in the game, not three consecutive hits.

Can he hit less than .100 like our pinch hitting expert who is a doubles at best hitter anyway? I believe not, and even if he was there's still hope.

Ok but I dont see him coming up, there's gotta be a reason why this guy is where he is and why he's been treated the way he's been. Heck I'd love this guy to come up and turn into something special but to tell you the truth, I'd rather have JP than Mitch up in that situation because JP's actually been there and come through and I think that mitch is more likely to strike out, hit into a double play, fly out than hit one out. You know w/ jp he wont strike out, he rarely hits into double plays and he doesn't hit a lot of fly balls.

If JP was so bad, he wouldn't be in the majors still. I'd take him over Dave Roberts...the only reason JP is so bashed on is because the offense is so anemic, if everyone else around him hit well then no one would really notice.

NomarsOnlyHR
07-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Ok but I dont see him coming up, there's gotta be a reason why this guy is where he is and why he's been treated the way he's been. Heck I'd love this guy to come up and turn into something special but to tell you the truth, I'd rather have JP than Mitch up in that situation because JP's actually been there and come through and I think that mitch is more likely to strike out, hit into a double play, fly out than hit one out. You know w/ jp he wont strike out, he rarely hits into double plays and he doesn't hit a lot of fly balls.

If JP was so bad, he wouldn't be in the majors still. I'd take him over Dave Roberts...the only reason JP is so bashed on is because the offense is so anemic, if everyone else around him hit well then no one would really notice.

Well, that and the fact that he throws like a six-year old girl and gets paid a truckload of money to do it.

Tymathee
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
he's still in the majors and i've made a thread about this before. We needed another outfielder that year and the top 3 guys didn't want to go to the Dodgers and they were Soriano, Lee and Matthews (would you rather have overpaid for Matthews @ 10 mil a year?) and the next best believe it or not was JP. I agree he's overpaid but it's only 8 mil a year. Heck...when the guy was signed it was a big hurrah...until we saw him throw lmao.

the2ndbeaner
07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
can anyone post a link i cant find any videos of him hitting