PDA

View Full Version : Kobe or Garnett

Genuinetrooper
06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
after finally winning his 1st title, KG has now caught Kobe as the 3rd greatest player of this generation?.. after Shaq and Duncan

kobe:
All NBA Teams: 6 First Teams
All-Defense Teams: 6 First Teams
Top 12 MVP Finishes: 8 (1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 9, 12)

KG:
All NBA Teams: 4 First Teams
All-Defense Teams: 7 First Teams
Top 12 MVP Finishes: 9 (1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Doesn't really get much closer than that I don't think. Now that KG got over the hump by winning the ring - and he WAS the main guy - he was the backbone of the team's defense and their offensive hub. Kobe is a perimeter player and thus, a better closer and is clearly the better scorer. KG is more able to affect the game defensively (simply because of his size), owns the boards, and is a great offensive player as well. Not a volume scorer, but an efficient and consistant 20 ppg player while also being a premier passer.

They are even in my book.

LAKERS 24/7
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
damn man you are on a roll

NYMetros
06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
It's hard to compare two guys that play completely different positions. I will take Kobe though. Probably the more talented player. Remember, KG couldn't win without Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Sort of like how Kobe can't win without Shaq.

Lakers<>Packers
06-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Kobe has 3 ring. Garnett only has one. Kobe just led his team to the NBA Finals as the leader. What has Garnett done? Kobe will down in history as one of the top 15 players to ever play, i wouldnt say the same about Garnett.

brandonwarne52
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
How many rings does Steve Kerr have? Derek Fisher?

Genuinetrooper
06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Kobe has 3 ring. Garnett only has one. Kobe just led his team to the NBA Finals as the leader. What has Garnett done? Kobe will down in history as one of the top 15 players to ever play, i wouldnt say the same about Garnett.

3 rings as a sidekick.

superkegger
06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
3 rings as a sidekick.

and garnett was pierce's sidekick...

Brooke
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
3 rings as a sidekick.

and yet it took KG this long to get to his first Finals? If there was no Pierce and Allen he wouldn't have gotten this ring so what you say makes no sense.

Yup

LakeShow
06-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I hate these comparison threads. But, I'm bored...

Kobe Bryant has more rings (3 to 1). You can argue that Kobe was second fiddle on those championship teams--but you can also argue that Garnett was second fiddle to Paul Pierce.

Now, as the "main guy" Kobe led the Los Angeles Lakers to the NBA finals. As the "main guy" Garnett was not able to get the Minnesota Timberwolves to the NBA finals.

KmB728
06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Well if im looking for a leader ill take Garnett

but im a celtics fan....

ManRam
06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
During their primes, it's close. But now, it's Kobe by a mile. I do think that in his prime (still in it), Kobe was/is better.

But considering how different of players they were, and considering Minnesota never brought in help, it's hard to compare. I voted Kobe though.

Luv Da New Pack
06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
It's hard to compare two guys that play completely different positions. I will take Kobe though. Probably the more talented player. Remember, KG couldn't win without Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Sort of like how Kobe can't win without Shaq.

-KG isn't "The Best Player On The Planet".
-KG wasn't the one who had a remarkable turn-around in the off-season mainly due to something HE did.

I don't see how you can equate KG with barely any help for almost his whole MN career (1 season and they got beat by the Los Angeles (4 HOF's) Lakers with no Cassell).

I personally don't think they can or should be compared because they just seem so different. KG can be a franchise player...but that doesn't mean he has needs. He is energy, intensity, desire, but needs a floor general. You see what happened when he was the focal point. He makes good decisions. I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly but I hope you get what I mean.

JordansBulls
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Ok, if that is the case, then why isn't John Havlicek who won 8 titles and 1 Finals MVP better than Larry Bird who won 3 titles and 2 Finals MVP's.

Why isn't Kevin Mchale who won 3 titles and was the 2nd star better than Karl Malone who has no titles and was the main star?

Why isn't Tony Parker who won 3 rings and 1 Finals MVP better than John Stockton who has no rings or mvp's?

Not saying KG is better, but if your only explanation that a player is better than someone is just because of rings and nothing else that you can support then you don't really have an answer.

LakeShow
06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, if that is the case, then why isn't John Havlicek who won 8 titles and 1 Finals MVP better than Larry Bird who won 3 titles and 2 Finals MVP's.

Why isn't Kevin Mchale who won 3 titles and was the 2nd star better than Karl Malone who has no titles and was the main star?

Why isn't Tony Parker who won 3 rings and 1 Finals MVP better than John Stockton who has no rings or mvp's?

Not saying KG is better, but if your only explanation that a player is better than someone is just because of rings and nothing else that you can support then you don't really have an answer.
Good points. But, most guys here won't accept the explanation "he's a better player" :)

BTW: You could make the argument that Kevin Mchale was better than Karl Malone. McHale's gotta be one of the most under-rated players of all-time.

mightybosstone
06-24-2008, 08:20 PM
As a person, as a leader, and as defensive consistency is concerned (yes Kobe is an incredible defender, but Garnett is an incredible rebounder) I'll take KG. When it comes to the 4th quarter, who do you want with the ball in their hands... I'll take Kobe. Still, how do you compare a wing player to a big man?

Its a similar argument I always make with people regarding the Hakeem/Jordan draft. Did Houston make the right pick in taking Hakeem? Most definitely... and I think his career was arguably nearly every bit as impressive as Jordan's, but how do you measure an incredible big man against and incredible wing player? You can't...

kazzy4080
06-24-2008, 08:27 PM
i feel like kobe has done more but i feel like garnett has done more with less (not counting last year but even with that made the celtics into a sick defensive team) lets says i could draft the next KG or the next Kobe, id draft the next kg, but kobe has had a better career i think, and as a celtics fan i voted for kobe

stawka
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Was this thread made with all seriousness? This place is turning into a joke. Every topic is about Kobe, whether someone thinks he's God or someone thinks Wee-Man is better then him.

Beno7500
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Obviously KG. it worked for him, it didnt work for Kobe. Tell me if i am wrong, just go look at who won the finals.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
KG has just won the title, Kobe just lost the title. KG all the way because impact big men are more important than the dime a dozen SG/SF's in the league.

JordansBulls
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Obviously KG. it worked for him, it didnt work for Kobe. Tell me if i am wrong, just go look at who won the finals.

What type of logic is that?

cambovenzi
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
What type of logic is that?

the make-believe kind IMO.

K-City
06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Kobe

jnb58
06-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Uh... No.

Phann
06-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Its gotta be Kobe.

Ragun
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
id take garnett. hard to find bigs like him but also hard to find talent like Kobe.

OnWisconsin2007
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
KG is nowhere close to Kobe. Garnett is an adequate offensive player that dissapears during crunch time. He is soft. He rarely ever takes the ball to the hoop. He gets so much hype because he runs his mouth non-stop. Kobe is the MVP and should be, not to mention has 3 rings. KG is not even close to as good as Duncan. This thread should be "Duncan or Kobe?"

_Sn1P3r_
06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd take Kobe.

BigEric
07-03-2008, 04:03 PM
This is really close.

Arenaslover
07-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Garnett by a little.

AgentViet
07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Too close for me to call, both top 20 players in NBA history IMO.