PDA

View Full Version : No. 2 job is Brohm's to lose

hughest4
06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Whatever trepidation the Green Bay Packers might feel about having a rookie at No. 2 quarterback in Aaron Rodgers’ first season as starter, they’re going into training camp with the job being second-round draft pick Brian Brohm’s to lose.

General Manager Ted Thompson brought in three veterans for offseason physicals and interviews as potential backups for Rodgers: Gus Frerotte, Quinn Gray and Daunte Culpepper.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Thompson offered a contract to only Culpepper, who in the spring turned down a one-year deal worth about $1 million.

So Thompson turned to the NFL draft, where he selected Brohm in the second round, No. 56 overall.

Brohm has had his share of struggles in the offseason workouts that finished Thursday, but the Packers have seen enough in him that they appear unlikely to bring in a veteran to compete for the No. 2 job before training camp starts in late July. They’ll bring in a veteran only if Brohm has a particularly difficult time in the first two or three weeks of practice and exhibition play.

“Daunte’s a good guy,” receiver Donald Driver said, “but I guess he felt like he wanted to come in and vie for a starting spot and (the Packers) already knew who their starting quarterback was. So what do you do? They felt like if he didn’t want the title to be a backup, you have to move on.”

If Brohm ends up as the No. 2, the Packers will be taking a bigger risk than when Rodgers backed up Brett Favre as a rookie in 2005. Favre was a proven iron man, whereas Rodgers has an injury history (a broken foot and substantial hamstring strain the last two seasons). It’s risky, but not uncommon for an NFL team.

However, if Brohm is the No. 2 and seventh-round pick Matt Flynn is the No. 3, it would be unusual to have two rookies as the backups.

Last season, three rookies opened the season as their team’s No. 2 quarterback, though none of the clubs made the playoffs: first-round pick Brady Quinn of Cleveland, second-round pick John Beck of Miami, and Buffalo Bills third-rounder Trent Edwards, who finished the season as the team’s starter.

Putting a rookie in that role can be risky for a playoff contender, because that rookie could be called on to finish out a close game or maybe even start for a week or two. One loss could be the difference in making the playoffs, or in having home-field advantage.

Rodgers this week said he wasn’t comfortable in the Packers’ offense until last season, his third in the NFL.

“These (rookies) are really bright,” Thompson said. “Aaron says (it took three years) now, but he absolutely would have loved to have been out there playing the whole time, too. We’re not overly concerned about that. Everything you do there’s risks associated with it.”

The Packers considered the value a veteran could provide as a sounding board and adviser for Rodgers, who faces the difficult assignment of succeeding Favre. Trent Dilfer, for instance, probably would have been ideal in such a role.

But in the end, Thompson said the higher priority was finding a player who could perform well enough if Rodgers gets hurt, and that no veterans offered a good enough combination of mentoring and physical skills to pursue vigorously, especially after the Packers drafted Brohm.

“It was out of my hands, so I didn’t really have an opinion on it,” Rodgers said of whether he would have preferred having a veteran backup.

“I’ve got (quarterbacks coach) Tom Clements to bounce things off of, he’s a great quarterback coach. They made a decision to get Brian, that’s who they’re going to go with, and now (Brohm and Flynn) are bouncing stuff off me, which is fine.

“The amount of preparation I’ve put in the offseason watching film and talking to Tom and (coach) Mike (McCarthy) every day is going to be my opportunity to bounce things off guys who have been in the league for a while. I don’t have the 15-year vet, 12-year vet, Trent Dilfer-kind of guy to bounce things off of, so we’re doing what we’re doing.”

In the meantime, the Packers will be looking for growth in Brohm during training camp after an up-and-down performance in offseason practices that is the norm for most rookie quarterbacks.

Brohm has good size (6-foot-3, 232 pounds), poise and smarts (32 on the Wonderlic intelligence test). He’s shown a strong enough arm, though it isn’t as strong as Rodgers’ arm. He’s often holds the ball too long, as almost all rookies do. Another problem that’s been a little surprising is the occasionally wobbly pass.

He showed those inconsistencies in this week’s three-day minicamp. On Tuesday, he threw three interceptions in a relatively short period of time. Tramon Williams and Atari Bigby picked him off in 11-on-11 plays, and Charles Woodson baited him into an interception shortly thereafter in a seven-on-seven drill.

But after those struggles against mainly starters on defense, Brohm ended practice in a two-minute drill by taking the No. 2 offense to a game-winning touchdown drive of 60 yards against the No. 2 defense.

The Packers also worked on blitz drills every day, including Thursday, when Brohm twice held the ball long enough to probably get sacked. On a couple of other plays, he got the ball out quickly.

Considering Brohm’s high productivity and success at reading defenses and managing games as a three-year starter in college at Louisville, the Packers expect him to adjust to the pace of the game.

But in the first couple of weeks of camp and the exhibition opener, it will be important for Brohm to show the Packers he can pick it up fast enough to be their backup immediately.

“It’s definitely something that’s one of the big transitions from college to the NFL, getting the ball out of your hand quicker,” Brohm said. “The coaches have emphasized that every day since I’ve been here, get the ball out of your hand quicker, making quicker reads, because the game is much faster up here.”
-wisinfo.com

So it seems like a veteran like Culpepper won't be brought in to complete our group of QB's. I am very comfortable with 2 rookies backing up Aaron Rodgers since they are great QB. The only concern is a lack of experience for the two rooks...

SamG187
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Yea I hope we stick with Brohm, but I just saw today that Jared Lorenzen was released from the G men today and wouldnt be suprised if we look at him, he would add kind of a new dimension to our team like when the giants bring him in for sneaks

The Boss
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
did you see the packers/giants game early last season Lorenzen tooks some snaps....how the "hefty lefty" ever made it into the league is beyond me....Brohm will someday be a solid starting qb for a team not named the packers...

Rtardz
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I can see Brohm being like a carson palmer type QB at least the Palmer from a couple years ago, not the one of the last season and a half

SamG187
06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I think all this looking for a backup, is because exactly what I suspected from the beginning...Matt Flynn is a bum, not a risk or n e thing with a 7th rounder but I knew he wasnt going to work out

RcrkllrH2
06-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Yea I hope we stick with Brohm, but I just saw today that Jared Lorenzen was released from the G men today and wouldnt be suprised if we look at him, he would add kind of a new dimension to our team like when the giants bring him in for sneaks

sneaks or snacks which one?

SamG187
06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
sneaks or snacks which one?

Snacks and sneaks, id take him over Flynn with out even thinking twice, did anybody see Flynn play at LSU? Like I said he was the weak point on a good team

newdude
06-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Snacks and sneaks, id take him over Flynn with out even thinking twice, did anybody see Flynn play at LSU? Like I said he was the weak point on a good team

Yeah, I was never really impressed with Flynn from what I saw, but who knows, he might be good:o

IRNMN
06-25-2008, 01:09 AM
I have no worries that Brohm can keep this job he is a poised player who will suceed once he is settled in. Not to mention he has not see much game recently. I have full confidence the Packers won't need to sign a vet to back up Rodgers.

SDteacher
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow I guess I'm the only one worried about having a Rookie backup. To me this just says that if Rodgers gets hurt we're going to just start playing for the future. And who's to say Rodgers is even going to be good? I hope he does well, but we just don't know. The idea of not having a solid veteran who we know we can somewhat rely on just seems like a must to me. Brohm and Rodgers may be more talented than the guy we bring in but I think experience is so important in the NFL and we need some. This whole situation scares me.

newdude
06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Wow I guess I'm the only one worried about having a Rookie backup. To me this just says that if Rodgers gets hurt we're going to just start playing for the future. And who's to say Rodgers is even going to be good? I hope he does well, but we just don't know. The idea of not having a solid veteran who we know we can somewhat rely on just seems like a must to me. Brohm and Rodgers may be more talented than the guy we bring in but I think experience is so important in the NFL and we need some. This whole situation scares me.

Ur not the only one that's worried by our QB situation. We are so used to not care who is the backup QB because Favre was always there, so it's a change we have to cope with and try to see it in a positive manner. :cry:

twelvePack
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey, I'm glad they drafted Brohm. Brohm is going to be a good QB, but I think they should have brought in a veteran to compete with him for the number two job this season, and passed on Flynn. Brohm will be alright, but I really can't see him being ready to start a game this season unless we can run about 40 times and have him only throw 20 passes like Pittsburgh did with Roethlisburger. We all better pray that Rodgers is good, and he stays healthy. WHEW, this season scares me. Too many unprovens at too many positions.

hughest4
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

I agree that experience is extremely important in the NFL, but i'm really not sure who they would bring in. A few guys that come to mind are Culpepper, Chris Simms, and Quinn Gray but i would honestly still take Brohm over them. I'm just hoping that A-Rod stays healthy and has a good year. Brohm is the kind of QB that i could see stepping in and performing relatively well as a rookie though

SamG187
06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree that experience is extremely important in the NFL, but i'm really not sure who they would bring in. A few guys that come to mind are Culpepper, Chris Simms, and Quinn Gray but i would honestly still take Brohm over them. I'm just hoping that A-Rod stays healthy and has a good year. Brohm is the kind of QB that i could see stepping in and performing relatively well as a rookie though

Yea its sad when that list comes up as possible backups, it makes me almost sick to my stomach to see that Culpepper is the best one, cuz if we got Simms I might just nose dive off a bridge haha honestly I would rather bring in Trent Dilfer, is he still in Frisco or did he retire or what? he might not be able to play very good any more but he is still real smart for a back up

Soop
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM

What about Leftwich?

hughest4
07-02-2008, 11:19 PM
What about Leftwich?

Yeah, Leftwich is another guy to think about but i'm not sure how well he would fit in with the Packers. It seemed like the past couple of years his whole drop back and throwing motion was all out of wack. At the same time he has lost 25 pounds and is definitely talented.

Soop
07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah, Leftwich is another guy to think about but i'm not sure how well he would fit in with the Packers. It seemed like the past couple of years his whole drop back and throwing motion was all out of wack. At the same time he has lost 25 pounds and is definitely talented.

Besides Rodgers, your rookies Brohm/Flynn don't really pose a threat IMO. If Aaron was to get injured I think having a vet like Leftwich would be a better risk than the rooks. It could be a terrible season if your Qb situation comes to this.

I know my Bears don't have the greatest Qb's. I think it's safe to say if Rex goes down, Kyle wouldn't be a bad back up. Now in your case it's a different story.

hughest4
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Besides Rodgers, your rookies Brohm/Flynn don't really pose a threat IMO. If Aaron was to get injured I think having a vet like Leftwich would be a better risk than the rooks. It could be a terrible season if your Qb situation comes to this.

I know my Bears don't have the greatest Qb's. I think it's safe to say if Rex goes down, Kyle wouldn't be a bad back up. Now in your case it's a different story.

If Aaron Rodgers gets injured in Pre-Season or Week 1 then i am definitely very concerned with our QB situation. If the injury happens later on then i am less concerned....slightly. I think Brohm is a very smart kid and as close to being NFL ready as you can get.

servais77
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Ditto...Not sure how having 3 unproven Quarterbacks on the roster is a good thing. Screams mediocre season at best.

Soop
07-03-2008, 01:02 PM
If Aaron Rodgers gets injured in Pre-Season or Week 1 then i am definitely very concerned with our QB situation. If the injury happens later on then i am less concerned....slightly. I think Brohm is a very smart kid and as close to being NFL ready as you can get.

That's what he is projected to be 'NFL ready' but there are alot of Qb's that come out of college that can't make the transition in the NFL.