PDA

View Full Version : Zink: The new Wake?

knittingmill
06-24-2008, 06:57 AM
had 10 strikeouts in 8.1 innings last night. after all these years he's put it together. and we have cash to catch him. will they give him a chance?

lil'papi
06-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Bad year to blossom. Shame really .. any other year he would have already been called up.

I'd say not likely.

sboyajian
06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
He may still end up in Boston.. he would be a great end of year callup, as he'd give a lot of rest not only to the rotation, but to the bullpen as well.

He has one advantage over some of the other youngsters.. like Wakefield.. he's an absolute inning eater.

Tragedy
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't take issue with seeing him get a spot in the rotation next year. I'm thinking next April will be a showcase. They're not giving the spot away, they're going to force someone to earn it in the one month they have to show.

The rotation, next year, as of now, is as follws:

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lester

Those are the only LOCKS for next year.

So these guys that will be fighting for a spot:

Zink
Bard
Bowden
Buchholz
Masterson

I'm thinking Masterson will get the call, and then it's down to whoever else performs. I don't see the Sox making a big move in the offseason for a pitcher - Maybe just grab another Colon.

i am bob
06-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Why not give him a shot? He seems to have potential to be like Wake.

Ewagner
06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't take issue with seeing him get a spot in the rotation next year. I'm thinking next April will be a showcase. They're not giving the spot away, they're going to force someone to earn it in the one month they have to show.

The rotation, next year, as of now, is as follws:

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lester

Those are the only LOCKS for next year.

So these guys that will be fighting for a spot:

Zink
Bard
Bowden
Buchholz
Masterson

I'm thinking Masterson will get the call, and then it's down to whoever else performs. I don't see the Sox making a big move in the offseason for a pitcher - Maybe just grab another Colon.

i agree with this. i think if wakefield retires Zink takes his spot. i believe they like the idea of giving a regular day off to the catcher and bullpen. buchholz will probable get that last spot. he has earned it. masterson will be the insurance policy. i think dice-k is becoming the new irabu. lot of hype little results.

homie564
06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
i have said it once and i will say it again... this past month once again i went to a paw sox game... i dont find Zink to have anything but an average Fastball, a slightly above average curve, and the rest of his pitches not so hot... we can give the kid a shot but as of what ive seen in the couple games i watched... im no too impressed

K2OB4E
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Bucholz hasn't earned jack. He doesn't deserve the spot as someone said above. So what he threw a no-hitter, many no-names have thrown no hitters. Its going to go who is pitching better, and until Masterson proves other wises I really believe he (Masterson) has the upper hand next year.

sboyajian
06-24-2008, 10:37 AM
i have said it once and i will say it again... this past month once again i went to a paw sox game... i dont find Zink to have anything but an average Fastball, a slightly above average curve, and the rest of his pitches not so hot... we can give the kid a shot but as of what ive seen in the couple games i watched... im no too impressed

He is a mirror of Wakefield with a very good difference.

He throws a Fastball and a Cutter, both for strikes, and both with the exact same delivery as his Knuckleball.. which makes him harder to hit.

He's not intended to be a fastball pitcher.

You mention the rest of his pitches are not so hot, how can you ignore the knucleball. It's his primary pitch.

RedSoxtober
06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
i agree with this. i think if wakefield retires Zink takes his spot. i believe they like the idea of giving a regular day off to the catcher and bullpen. buchholz will probable get that last spot. he has earned it. masterson will be the insurance policy. i think dice-k is becoming the new irabu. lot of hype little results.

Is there a reason that you have to have a knuckleballer to give your primary catcher a rest?

vince wilfort
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Knuckleballers are often late bloomers since it's a pitch that is learned out of desperation, so he could succeed at the major league level. He still has all three of his options, so he might just be in the minors until 2012, but if he continues to succeed in AAA, I'd like to see him as a late call-up. And Brown, Kotteras, and Cash can catch him, so the Red Sox have many options for back-up catcher if Zink has a future on the team.

knittingmill
06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
i'm afraid that he won't get a fair shake because he's been in the minors so long. here's a good article: http://www.projo.com/pawsox/content/sp_bb_pawsox12_05-12-08_7TA3PVT_v5.38eec4a.html

i'd also like to package dice-k and lugo to some team.

Raidaz4Life
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
i'm afraid that he won't get a fair shake because he's been in the minors so long. here's a good article: http://www.projo.com/pawsox/content/sp_bb_pawsox12_05-12-08_7TA3PVT_v5.38eec4a.html

i'd also like to package dice-k and lugo to some team.

I think the only team able to take on those two contracts would be the Yankees

Wake's Fastball
06-25-2008, 12:46 AM
It wouldn't stun me to see them bring up Zink for September call-ups. He could be a devastating arm out of the pen after a team's faced Beckett or Dice-K throwing cheese for 6 innings.

lil'papi
06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Is there a reason that you have to have a knuckleballer to give your primary catcher a rest?

Yeah, you want the scientific reason or the other one? :)

Do to the flight of the ball and gyrations it goes through this causes bi-lateral eye fatigue. The starter would easily succomb to this and tri-sapicial anomalies.

The other is the glove is bigger the starter gets tired carrying it around.

Common knowledge.

Tragedy
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I think the only team able to take on those two contracts would be the Yankees
If we put Matsuzaka out there, someone would take it.

In a world where Zito is getting over $100 million and Matsuzaka has under $50 remaining, MANY teams would want his services.

BigPapi04
06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
he is not going to come when wake leaves..way too many good prospects we have around 4 blue chip pitchers and he is far from that. If it was any other team, he would not even been in the thinking plan he probably would be coaching highschool by now. But because we have Wakefield, his name gets thrown in their because of the similarities. If he was a real prospect he would have already been traded.

lil'papi
06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
If we put Matsuzaka out there, someone would take it.

In a world where Zito is getting over $100 million and Matsuzaka has under $50 remaining, MANY teams would want his services.

For SURE!

He would be huge in Seattle. We could rape their farm for him too. We could even get a catcher.

I'm not sure after one poor inning they are done with him. Remember they are extremely patient with guys here. So far it's paid dividends. He keeps the walks going and pitch count up, he might end up there. Both really bad for playoff BB.

bagwell368
06-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I think Zink looks better as #5 for someone else. Trade bait.

lil'papi
06-28-2008, 08:36 AM
^^ agreed, strike while the iron is hot.

knittingmill
07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
OK, complete game 2-hit shutout. I wanna know what he can do in the bigs or trade him with the other 4 pawsox going to the IL all-star game and jed lowrie.

knittingmill
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
another complete game with 1 unearned run. what's he gotta do?

RedSoxtober
07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
another complete game with 1 unearned run. what's he gotta do?

:pray:

lil'papi
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
:guns: someone......

Ewagner
07-14-2008, 01:24 PM
these are some notes on zink i figured i would share:

Charlie Zink, a 28-year-old knuckleballer and member of the Triple-A International League All-Star team, won his 11th game of the season with a seven-inning, one-run outing. He has a 2.28 ERA, 1.01 WHIP and .200 BAA in 19 starts for Pawtucket, numbers that might seem to put him in line for a promotion to the Red Sox. Unfortunately, Zink isn't regarded as much of a prospect, and the Sox might be wary of having two knuckleballers on their roster. At his current pace, the right-hander might warrant a September promotion anyway as a reward for his performance