PDA

View Full Version : Best Rivalries

PatSox11
06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
What do you think are the best rivalries. This is what I think.

1. Redsox v. Yankees
2. Dodgers v. Giants
3. Cubs v. Cardnials
4. Cubs v. White Sox
5. Mets v. Yankees

Post any disagreements.

L-MiLLZ44
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
i think inner division play makes better rivalry's, the mets play the yankees 6 times a year and it's bragging rights, i consider the braves and phillies more of rivals because we are all competing for a playoff spot

Scheck
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
I think the Red Sox and Yankees definitely have the best rivalry, but don't forget the Orioles and the Rays :D

phillyphan4ever
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Phillies vs. Mets should def. be top 5

mmmdelish
06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
i like chips

CBON9
06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Yankees/Sox
Phillies/Mets
Rays/EVERYONE ELSE, especially NY and BOS

ny sucks
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the rays and sox are getting up there. It seems everytime they meet something happens.

I don't get why the rays have problems with everyone though, could it be the immaturity?

rriders9
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Mets and Phillies should be either two or three.

CBON9
06-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I think the rays and sox are getting up there. It seems everytime they meet something happens.

I don't get why the rays have problems with everyone though, could it be the immaturity?

That's a good question. I think that you are right that immaturity may have something to do with it

Although there is some vetran presence on that squad, you basically have a bunch of kids who have been busting their ***** to get to the big club. Everytime they step on the field, its like they do so with the mission that they have something to prove to all the nay-sayers that they are contenders. Although its not a bad attitude to have, its how you carry yourself in the process that matters.

ShinobiNYC
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Sega vs. Nintendo.

Jeremy5150
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Red Sox - Yankees
Mets - Yankees
Mets - Braves

GHGHCP
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Dodgers vs Giants
Yankees vs Red Sox
Cardinals vs Cubs

We already had this debate awhile ago but I'll just point out some key points on why I think the Dodgers vs Giants rivalry is the best.

Its the oldest rivalry.
Its the most even rivalry. (is it really a rivalry when the other team has stomped on the other for so long?)
It has lasted from state to state and coast to coast.
It is easily the most hate filled rivalry with so many on the field brawls and fan fighting happening even going as far as murder. (first recorded rivalry based murder involving fans ever in NY).

This is truly the Hatfields and McCoys of baseball rivalries.

dcannon456
06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
dont get me wrong METS V YANKS is by far my favorite series' of the year, but thats only because most of my friends are yankee fans and it makes for fun events. but in terms fo baseball this shouldnt be considered a real rivalry, a series like Mets v Braves and Mets v Phils are more exciting, although barring a few years the mets never held a candle to the braves or vice versa other years. and Mets v Phils has recently became a pretty recognized rivalry. with two very talented teams.

dcannon456
06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

there was a quote from one ray, i believe shields. who said something along the lines of them being tired of being stepped on and pushed around for so long.

i guess having a team that can actually compete with alot of pent up emotions isnt the best thing in terms of sportsmanship.

but what makes me wonder about that is, the rays are such a young team, how long have many of these guys been "pushed around and stepped on" or whatever, 2 or 3 years? idk. not long enough to bring socks with poolballs in them to the games.(thats my prediction for what happens next.)

redwhitenblue
06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Its the oldest rivalry.
Its the most even rivalry. (is it really a rivalry when the other team has stomped on the other for so long?)
It is easily the most hate filled rivalry with so many on the field brawls and fan fighting happening even going as far as murder. (first recorded rivalry based murder involving fans ever in NY).
I don't think any of the rivalries are one-sided at all

The "hate-filled argument" is your opinion plain and simple...and lately the Yanks/Sox have had more on-field fights, frankly the lack of media attention drives this rivalry lower on the list than the other two IMO

GHGHCP
06-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think any of the rivalries are one-sided at all

The "hate-filled argument" is your opinion plain and simple...and lately the Yanks/Sox have had more on-field fights, frankly the lack of media attention drives this rivalry lower on the list than the other two IMO

Do you honestly think Cubs vs Cards gets more media attention then Dodgers vs Giants? :speechless:

The Yankees vs Red Sox rivalry is CLEARLY one sided and I'm not sure 8 years of relevance can change that, I mean there was a time the Red Sox were not even the Yankee's biggest rival, it was the Dodgers.

You can't take what has happened recently and say oh hey that rivalry is the best as clearly that would be the Red Sox vs Yankee rivalry, you need to take in the whole picture when talking rivalries this old else we might as well say the Red Sox vs Rays rivalry is the best right now.

redwhitenblue
06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Do you honestly think Cubs vs Cards gets more media attention then Dodgers vs Giants?Yes, because it does

GHGHCP
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, because it does

You mistake the Cubs 100 years of no WS and hopes of a WS with the Cubs vs Cards rivalry. They are not the same. What is the bigger story in town? Hopes of a Cubs vs White Sox WS or that next series with the Cards?

Ph1lly Diehard
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Sox vs. Yanks
Whitesox vs. Cubs
Yanks vs. Mets
Phillies vs. Mets

No particular order here, just naming some that I think personally are the best

LivingThroughMe
06-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I love Cubs vs. Sox because it never fails, Ozzie and AJ always get their panties in a bunch and make for some great quotable material after the series.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Dodgers vs Giants
Yankees vs Red Sox
Cardinals vs Cubs

We already had this debate awhile ago but I'll just point out some key points on why I think the Dodgers vs Giants rivalry is the best.

Its the oldest rivalry.

This is truly the Hatfields and McCoys of baseball rivalries.

The one thing Giants and dodger fans can agree on is this. This rivalry is HUGE. I mean, I would fight GHGHCP just for being a dodger fan, nothing to personal. You understand, right?

The game are alway even and filled with excitment on, and off the field. Another thing is all the times the Giants and dodgers have screwed each other out of the playoffs. You may only know the Shot Heard Around the World as the only time they have came down to the playoff wire, but it isnt, it has happend manny times. For example,
Pennant race drama
One of the most famous pennant races in history is that of 1951. The Dodgers held a 13 1/2 game lead over the Giants as late as August 11th, when their manager Chuck Dressen famously declared "The Giants is dead!" Led by rookie Willie Mays, however, the Giants charged through August and September to catch and pass the Dodgers; the Dodgers rallied to win the final game of the season and the season ended with the two teams tied and the pennant to be decided by a 3 game playoff. The Giants won the first game, the Dodgers the second, and the tie-breaking playoff was won by the Giants with a dramatic ninth-inning home run by Bobby Thomson, a play known as the Shot Heard 'Round the World.
In 1959, the Giants led the Dodgers by 3 games as late as September 6th.[7] A late year three game sweep of the Giants provided both their elimination and allowed the Dodgers to catch the Braves who they defeated 2 games to none in a 3 game playoff enroute to winning the World Series. This inaugurated the tight pennant races between the two teams in the 1960s, where the Giants and Dodgers finished no further than 4 games apart from each other and first place 4 times through 1966. In 1965, the Giants went on a 14 game winning streak in early September to take 4 1/2 game lead, but the Dodgers responded with a 13 game winning streak and won 15 of their final 16 games to beat out the Giants by 2 games. In 1966, a 3-way race between the Dodgers, Giants, and Pirates came down to the last day of the season. The Dodgers went into the second game of a doubleheader with the Phillies ahead of the Giants by one game. Had the Dodgers lost, the Giants would have been 1/2 game out and would have had to fly to Cincinnati to make up a game that was rained out earlier in the season. Then if the Giants won that game, they would have met the Dodgers in a playoff. But the Dodgers won the second game in Philadelphia to win the N.L. Pennant by 1 1/2 games. In 1971, the Dodgers rallied from a 6 1/2 game September deficit to get within 1 game of the N.L. Western Division leading Giants with one game to play. But while the Dodgers were defeating the Astros, the Giants beat the Padres to win the division.
The closest finish came in 1962, when the Dodgers, battling injuries and a hitting slump, blew a late lead and the two teams were tied atop the National League after the final day of the season as they were in 1951. In the three game playoff, the Giants again took two out of three, with the deciding blow being 4 runs by the Giants in the ninth inning (as the visiting team this time) to take the series and the pennant. This would prove to be the last best-of-3 tiebreaker, as both leagues now use a single-game tiebreaking format. As with 1951, that playoff win turned out to be the Giants' high water-mark of the season, as they lost the World Series to the Yankees on both occasions.
The Dodgers brutally returned the favor in 2004. After virtually every other reliever in the Giants bullpen had attempted to preserve a 3-0 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, several walks and an error set the stage for Steve Finley's dramatic grand slam off of Wayne Franklin, which clinched the division title for the Dodgers. Even with the Wild Card still up for grabs, this proved disastrous for the Giants as despite ace Jason Schmidt's fine performance in a 10-0 rout over the Dodgers the following day, an Astros win during the game eliminated the Giants entirely from playoff contention. Had the Giants maintained their lead in the previous game and Schmidt performed similarly, the Giants would have forced a one game playoff in San Francisco between the Giants and Dodgers for the division crown.

Spoilers
When not tied for first during the last few days of the season, both teams have a long and storied history of eliminating their rival from playoff contention.

In 1934, Giants manager Bill Terry was asked his opinion of various teams for the new season including the Brooklyn Dodgers. His response of "Are they still in the league?" was to prove provocative. While the Dodgers struggled, with 2 games left to play the Giants found themselves tied with the St. Louis Cardinals atop the National League and facing the sixth-place Dodgers for a 2 game series in Brooklyn. Despite winning 14 of 22 from the Dodgers that year, the Giants lost those last two to the "Flatbush spoilers" and the pennant to the Cardinals.
In 1980 the Dodgers blew an 8th inning lead at San Francisco in the last game of the second-to-last series of the year. This loss dropped the Dodgers 3 games behind the Astros and cost them the chance to win the division outright when they swept the Houston Astros in the final 3 games of the year. Instead, they were forced to play the Astros in a one game playoff - which they lost.
In 1982, the Dodgers and Giants were tied for 2nd, one game behind the Braves as they faced each other in the final 3 games of the year. The Dodgers won the first two games 4-0 and 15-4 to eliminate the Giants, then the Giants then knocked the Dodgers out of the pennant race on the season's last day on an 8th inning 3 run homer by Joe Morgan, winning the game 5-3. Thus, the Braves finished 1st by one game.
The Giants did it again in 1991, as the Dodgers finished one game behind the Braves after dropping two of three in San Francisco over the final weekend. Trevor Wilson tossed a complete game shutout on the day in which the Dodgers were eliminated.
The Dodgers responded in kind in 1993, with two Mike Piazza home runs and a dominant complete-game performance by Kevin Gross kept the 103-win Giants out of the playoffs in what many consider the last true pennant race (before implementation of the wildcard) in a 12-1 walloping on the final day of the season. True to the balanced spirit of the rivalry, despite winning the first 3 games of that 4 game series in Los Angeles the Giants were unable to sweep the Dodgers at their home park in a four game series for the first time since 1923, and the Braves won the division by one game. .
In 1997, a late September two-game sweep of the Dodgers at Candlestick highlighted by Barry Bonds' infamous twirl after a home run in the first game and Brian Johnson's home run in the bottom of the 12th in the second tied the Giants with the Dodgers for first place and eventually propelled them into the playoffs. The impact on both organizations was significant; Fred Claire, who was then general manager of the Dodgers, said "those two days have stayed with me for the last 10 years," and Los Angeles Times sports columnist Bill Plaschke argued that "it led to an organizational upheaval...(from which) (i)t has taken the Dodgers nearly a decade to recover."[8] In contrast, the Giants' run from 1997 through 2003 produced the most playoff appearances in that stretch for the franchise since the 1930s.
The Dodgers have done their best to return the favor, however. In 2001, the Giants finished two games behind the Diamondbacks as the Dodgers took two of the final three games of the year in San Francisco, despite Barry Bonds record of 73 home runs in the season. In the first game of the series, Bonds hit his record breaking 71st home run of the season off Chan Ho Park, but the Dodgers won the game, thereby enabling Arizona to clinch the division title.
Interestingly, Piazza's 1993 heroics occurred on October 3, a date which until then had featured two pennant-clinching victories over the Dodgers (1951 and 1962) and one dramatic elimination of their arch-foe (1982). The one game playoff between the two teams in 2004 would have also been played on the third.

All of these events and their associated quirks and symbols are relished by the fans of these two teams.
-Wikipedia

You know ill be there as the rivalry is renewed in SF for the 2008 season, sitting in the Left Field Bleachers sitting back enjoying the game, and watching fights.

Btw, Beat LA!

redwhitenblue
06-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Here's the head to head of some of these rivalries

Cubs lead the Cardinals 1,138-1,074
Giants lead the Dodgers 1,063-1,046
Yankees lead the Red Sox 989-775
Phillies lead the Mets 421-367

CAIN=FUTURE
06-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Here's the head to head of some of these rivalries

Cubs lead the Cardinals 1,138-1,074
Giants lead the Dodgers 1,063-1,046
Phillies lead the Mets 421-367

Cant get much closer than that.

Heres a good video I found illustraiting the Giants dodgers rivalry
http://www.boxxet.com/San_Francisco_Giants/Video_Giants_vs_Dodgers.wzmgo.d

united41290
06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Yankees v Sox
Dodgers v Giants
Cardinals v Cubs
Phillies v Mets

sacgiants1213
06-24-2008, 03:32 AM
best all time rivalry is giants vs dodgers
best right now is yankees vs redsox because sf is getting their *** kicked lately by la and there's not much competition.

Shawh
06-24-2008, 04:40 AM
It definitely has to be the Dodgers / Giants rivalry.

The one thing Giants and dodger fans can agree on is this. This rivalry is HUGE. I mean, I would fight GHGHCP just for being a dodger fan, nothing to personal. You understand, right?

So true :laugh2:

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-24-2008, 08:33 AM

That is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What is this Euro Soccer?

Brooke
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Red Sox vs Yankees
Mets vs Yankees
Cubs vs White Sox
Phillies vs Mets
Mets vs Braves

Fred
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Only a NY fan could say that Mets-Yankees is a better rivalry than Mets-Phils...the NY teams play each other what? 3 games or 6 games per year? Please....

CAIN=FUTURE
06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
best all time rivalry is giants vs dodgers
best right now is yankees vs redsox because sf is getting their *** kicked lately by la and there's not much competition.

Last year the dodgers won the season series by 2 games.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
That is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What is this Euro Soccer?

Thats because you dont understand.

ccugrad1
06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Only a NY fan could say that Mets-Yankees is a better rivalry than Mets-Phils...the NY teams play each other what? 3 games or 6 games per year? Please....

Agree 100%.

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Thats because you dont understand.

No its not about understanding its just plain dumb for you to fight someone over their team preference.

m0d9w
06-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I may be biased a bit, but the Phils-Mets have to be in there. Being a Phillie fan, I always go to the Phils-Mets games at CBP. I'm not certain if I want to go again because it is that ridiculous. That being said, it is fun in some ways as well. I think the Mets collapse last year heightened the rivalry, but I also think that the mere fact that both teams have been fairly good teams the past 3-4 years has also escalated the rivalry (and the fact that the Phillies have gotten over the 85-loss trend they were a part of in the late 90s).

However,
1- Yanks-Sox
2- Giants-Dodgers....these two teams hated eachother in NY, left NY together as a plot to screw over the same guy, and went back to hating eachother in Cali.
3- Mets-Phils or Cubs-Cards
4- See #3
5- I have no clue.

I can't include a lot of clubs here because too many cities don't have the loyal fanbase that the teams I've listed have. I don't see Atlanta as a city that is die-hard on their baseball, and it often takes close proximity to create a potent rivalry. Maybe I'm a bit wrong, but I just don't see it.

I don't believe in placing an interleague series on this list. The 3-6 times a year face-off just doesn't do it for me, and it's a rivalry that is actually active at this point because of the worst GM in all of sports, Bud Selig.

REGular
06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Marlins-Rays . . . ok maybe not yet, but it will be when they show up together in 3 of the next 10 World Series.

bleedpinstripes
06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
does the NL East rivalry depend on whose competitive that year? I say this because in the past I can remember times where it seemed like Atlanta/Mets was a bigger rivalry when the Phils were somewhat irrelevant.

JHG722
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Phillies fans vs. the media and uninformed fans' perception of us

RiffRaff
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
IMO the Cardinals vs Cubs is the best rivalry.

More fans make the trip from St. Louis to Chicago and vice versa. And the fans, although passionate, remain relativly peaceful ... which IMO is a good thing.

They have played head to head more than any of the other candidates and athough the Cubs have managed to maintain the all time head to head lead ... all in all ... the Cardinals have had more success.

They have been rivals since a pre-WS championship match-up in 1885 when the two teams played under different names ... that's over 120 years.

From St. Louis to Chicago, both side of the Mississippi w/o any geographical restraints, you are either a Cubs fan or a Cards fan and you love baseball.

The only two rivalries that compare IMO of what constitutes a good rivalry are the Dodgers/Giants and the Yankees/Red Sox.

"The Red Sox and Yankees is a tabloid-filled soap opera about money and ego and sound bites. But the Cubs and Cardinals are about . . . geography and territorial rights." ~Buzz Bissinger

stlouisgto
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
The Cards v. Cubs. Its funny how Rogers Hornsby holds two records for both the Cards and Cubs. Then I would say Giants v. Dodgers.

ManRam
06-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Two words. Joe Maddon. He's a punk manager.

I root for the Rays when they play everyone but the Sox, but I despise Maddon.

I liked the original list...

1. Redsox v. Yankees
2. Dodgers v. Giants
3. Cubs v. Cardnials
4. Cubs v. White Sox
5. Mets v. Yankees

Except Cubs v. White Sox. That isn't much of a rivalry IMO. Besides this year, they don't play each other much, and neither have a history of winning. I'd insert Mets/Braves or Mets/Phillies.

Braves28Herbs7
06-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Wow this thread makes no sense whats so ever. Like the question is fine but the answers r ridiculous. Now I am not a yankees or red sox fan but everyone thats posted should of said them. They are not only the most dominant rivalary in baseball but i wouldnt doubt them to be the biggest rivalary in sports entertainment today.

DaBirdz101
06-26-2008, 03:19 AM
PHILLIES VS muts i mean mets

RiffRaff
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow this thread makes no sense whats so ever. Like the question is fine but the answers r ridiculous. Now I am not a yankees or red sox fan but everyone thats posted should of said them. They are not only the most dominant rivalary in baseball but i wouldnt doubt them to be the biggest rivalary in sports entertainment today.

Why?

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-26-2008, 10:24 AM

A huge reason you say that is because ESPN gets on its knees for those two franchises. There are great rivalries all over they just dont get as much coverage. This year being in wrigleyville for the crosstown classic blew my mind. I'm in STL every year for series between the cubs/cards and the energy is just nuts.

bleedpinstripes
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
seems like some people (nobody in particular) are even homers when it comes to rivalries

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
seems like some people (nobody in particular) are even homers when it comes to rivalries

In all honesty this is a moot point because its hard for someone to get excited and really experience a rivalry between teams if you're not a true fan. I mean sure I could get into the yanks/sox series if I was drunk sitting with Sox fans and put a bet down but if theres nothing binding me to the game then its just baseball (which I love to watch anyways).

viktor06
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Dodgers - Giants
Red Sox - Yankees
Cubs - Cardinals
Phillies - Mets (pretty recent)

are the best ones nowadays

torontocubs
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Just commenting on the Rays. I think they have produced one of the best rivalries with the Red Sox the last few seasons. I don't think it is immaturity. It's what Shields said. I think the Rays feel like they have to prove themselves against the Yanks and the Sox that they have to put a little more on field everytime they play. I will go out of my way lately to watch a Yankees or Red Sox game if their playing the Rays and Kazmir is starting, because it is always such a dam good performance.

koldjerky
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
In all honesty this is a moot point because its hard for someone to get excited and really experience a rivalry between teams if you're not a true fan. I mean sure I could get into the yanks/sox series if I was drunk sitting with Sox fans and put a bet down but if theres nothing binding me to the game then its just baseball (which I love to watch anyways).

It's not so much that you can't get excited about it because you aren't fans of the teams, it's more like you can't get excited or you pick your own team because you don't see enough other teams play to understand the rivalry.

I like watching the games on ESPN when they are rivalry games (which some times they are). The inter division rivalries are all pretty much good. I think some of the NL teams have better rivalries now because of the parity of the NL over the passed few seasons, with the standings being so close.

It's hard to pick the Dodgers and Giants as the best (they might be the best all time, but not as of now) because both teams haven't done much in the passed few seasons. Giants haven't really been relevant since the WS. The rivalries may be good in their own rights, but as for rivalries that have some importance in standings of who advances and who stays back is what makes a rivalry better. This is also why the Yanks/Red Sox rivalry has blown up so much.

Right now and ones that should continue I'd say:
1. Yanks/Redsox
2. Cubs/ Cards

3. Phils/Mets (they should last)
4. Dodgers/Giants (could come back with each team getting younger, good players)

CAIN=FUTURE
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
It's not so much that you can't get excited about it because you aren't fans of the teams, it's more like you can't get excited or you pick your own team because you don't see enough other teams play to understand the rivalry.

I like watching the games on ESPN when they are rivalry games (which some times they are). The inter division rivalries are all pretty much good. I think some of the NL teams have better rivalries now because of the parity of the NL over the passed few seasons, with the standings being so close.

It's hard to pick the Dodgers and Giants as the best (they might be the best all time, but not as of now) because both teams haven't done much in the passed few seasons. Giants haven't really been relevant since the WS. The rivalries may be good in their own rights, but as for rivalries that have some importance in standings of who advances and who stays back is what makes a rivalry better. This is also why the Yanks/Red Sox rivalry has blown up so much.

Right now and ones that should continue I'd say:
1. Yanks/Redsox
2. Cubs/ Cards

3. Phils/Mets (they should last)
4. Dodgers/Giants (could come back with each team getting younger, good players)

Except they won 100 games in 2003 and were the top team in the NL that year. And in 2004 were k.o. out of the playoff hunt on the last day of the season.

How can you possibly put Phils/Mets above Giants/dodgers. The Mets/Phills rivarly sprung up over night. All of a sudden the two teams are some sort of super rivals. They dont even compare to the Giants/dodgers. The Giants dodgers rivalry has been around longer than either the Mets or Phills franchises. Obviously the Giants/dodgers rivary isnt as watchable to an outsider because neither team is impressing much. But that dosnt mater. Both teams are batteling it out just as hard as they would if they were both relavent.

The Mets and Phills have what one or two good September divison races. Were as the Giantts and dodgers have had some of the greatest penate races dating all the way back to the begingin of baseball.

m0d9w
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
actually, the Phillies are one of the oldest franchises in the history of baseball, so it's unlikely that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry is older than the Phils franchise.

However, I will say that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry is stronger than the Phils-Mets for the reasons you've listed other than the point I countered.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-01-2008, 03:06 PM
actually, the Phillies are one of the oldest franchises in the history of baseball, so it's unlikely that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry is older than the Phils franchise.

However, I will say that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry is stronger than the Phils-Mets for the reasons you've listed other than the point I countered.

I did not know that. I thouhgt they were formed in the 1940's 0r 50's.

NYMetros
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I will say the Red Sox and Yankees have the best rivalry, mostly because it looks like the Red Sox may be the better team right now. I absolutely love the Dodgers Giants games though. Hopefully the Giants and Dodgers can improve to re-new this rivalry.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I will say the Red Sox and Yankees have the best rivalry, mostly because it looks like the Red Sox may be the better team right now. I absolutely love the Dodgers Giants games though. Hopefully the Giants and Dodgers can improve to re-new this rivalry.

It might interesting to see them battle it out for second place.

v3n0m
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Rays - Red Sox

Illini Tim
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Each team's fans are going to have a different opinion on the best rivalry. I personally couldn't care less about the Sox-Yankees, Dodgers-Giants, Mets-Phillies, or Cubs-Cards. I'm going WHITE Sox-Cubs. And fans from California, Boston, and New York probably don't care.

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Good god, that is some nice domination there.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Good god, that is some nice domination there.

The Giants won 1063 to the dodgers 1042, in their 2122 head to head games. Now that is ****ing close.

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 07:27 PM
The Giants won 1063 to the dodgers 1042, in their 2122 head to head games. Now that is ****ing close.
Yeah, I saw that stat in the same post. That, my friend, is super impressive. While I think the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the most known/most talked about/most watched around the entire country, the Giants/Dodgers rivalry is potentially more exciting when you enter the records for each.

JHG722
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I did not know that. I thouhgt they were formed in the 1940's 0r 50's.

Try 1883...

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Try 1883...

See what Dodger fans have to deal with? Millions of Cains running about. As Dodger fans we have been working on a cure for sometime now, we believe the cure is continued rivalry success and a good Oakland A's team. We based our cure on the near eradication of King fans this year by the Lakers and Warriors. Together we can fight GFS (Giant Fan Syndrome). :D

H-MYK
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Red Sox vs Yankees (love it when these two teams play)
Mets vs Yankees
Met vs Phillies
Cubs vs White Sox
Cubs vs Cards
Dodgers vs Giants

FriarFanatic
07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
red sox vs yankees
cubs vs white sox
red sox vs rays(though its fairly new)

AlexGordon4
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I think a good rivalry is.......................

Royals vs the Cardinals

The in-state matchup

OnWisconsin2007
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
In Wisconsin, Cubs vs. Brewers is a huge rivalry because there are so many Cubs fans in WI, and obviously many Brewer fans.

KiLLA RAiDER
07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
How bout da A's and Angels!!

nme
07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
It might interesting to see them battle it out for second place.

The way the D-Bags have been playing lately, why settle for second? Seriously, this division is still up for grabs. Now what would be better than the Dodgers and Giants battling for first place in September?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-02-2008, 03:01 AM
The way the D-Bags have been playing lately, why settle for second? Seriously, this division is still up for grabs. Now what would be better than the Dodgers and Giants battling for first place in September?

If I said anything about the Giants in first I would get ridiculed and called a homer. That would be awesome though.

I can see it now, September 28, Giants and dodgers are tied for the NL West lead and it all comes down to the last day of the season. The dodgers send out Chad Billingsley, the Giants out of options so they have no choice but to accept a injured Matt Cain's requst to pitch. Cain and Bills have a pitching for the ages, both go 7 innngs with 12+ k's each. Neither give up a run.

The Giants put in Kechii Yabu to pitch a tied 8th inning at zero to zero. Yabu gives up a run and leaves the game with the bases loaded with out recording an out. The Giants summon ace closer Brian Wilson. Wilson goes on to strike.
out the side on 9 pitches. The Giants fail to score in the bottom of the 8th. Wilson pitches another lights out ninth inning, not before Aaron Rowand save a triple by slamming into the out field wall and suffering a concution.

With the score one to zero dodgers the Giants need to score to stay alive. Ray Durham leads off the 9th with a single to right field. Takasi Saito strikes out the Giants next to baters, Randy Winn and Begie Molina. With Rowand injured due to the cunution from the last inning the Giants need a pinch hitter. They turn to strugeling future HoFer Omar Vizquel. Vizquel fall behind Saito 0-2. All hope is lost for the Giants, then sudenly there's a shot deep into the night, a splash hit for Omar Vizquel. Duane Kuiper (Giants commentator)- " That ball is OOUUUTTTTAAAAAA HEEEERRRRRE! Walk off home run OMAR VIZQUELLL!The Giants are going to the playoffs!!!!!"

That's whats gonna happen.

theicemonkey
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
These things go in cycles. Right now the Yankees/Red Sox is a much more heated rivalry because the Giants and Dodgers are rebuilding. However, people have to remember that the Yankees/Red Sox has only actually been a rivalry for about 10 years. 80 years of total irrelevance on the Red Sox part will do that (which explains the 200 game discrepancy in their head to head matchup).

In the late 90s, it was all about Giants/Dodgers, as the two were constantly battling for first. Yankees/Red Sox were a total afterthought because the Red Sox were not competitive in the same way that the Yankees were. Similarly, in the late 80s, early 90s, the Yankees were not competitive when the Red Sox were doing quite well. Meanwhile, in the late 80s, the Dodgers and Giants went to the World Series.

If asked which rivalry has more history, it's a no brainer, Dodgers/Giants. If it's which rivalry has been more heated in the recent past, it's also a no brainer, Yankees/Red Sox. The Cubs/Cardinals I would also put in the top 3, though I get more exposure to it than most people on the coasts because my father and all of my relatives are die-hard Cub fans. It really gets VERY little media attention, and while most people--baseball fans or not--know about Yankees/Red Sox and Giants/Dodgers, they are extremely unlikely to know about Cubs/Cardinals. That's unfortunate.

CardzRule
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
My favorite, hometown rivalries are Cardinals v. Cubs, and, more recently, Cardinals v. Royals. Was listening to the game in Kauffman stadium and heard repetitive, distinct chants of "Let's Go Cardinals". Hilarious.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
My favorite, hometown rivalries are Cardinals v. Cubs, and, more recently, Cardinals v. Royals. Was listening to the game in Kauffman stadium and heard repetitive, distinct chants of "Let's Go Cardinals". Hilarious.

I'm returning to stl tomorrow for the series :smoking:

CAIN=FUTURE
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM

You know what hillarious? How Giants fans can outsell Padres fans in San Diego when the Padres arnt doing good, witch is a lot btw.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Try 1883...

Thanks for the update. I actully figured that out prior to your post.

bx-bomber
07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
yankees are the most dominating team in sport's history and alway's will be

CAIN=FUTURE
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
yankees are the most dominating team in sport's history and alway's will be

Thanks for that completly usless post.

theicemonkey
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
They're certainly the wealthiest team in baseball history.