PDA

View Full Version : Give up on 08? (Don't read if your optimistic)

nithanyo
06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Should we just look forward to 09. I know its not even the all star game yet and its just june but honestly this team doesnt seem like the 07 rockies. As of Sunday we have 86 games left. We all know that 100 win team is what its gonna take to make the playoffs. We have to win 65 of the 86 games to get 100 winws. I just dont see it. Sorry for being so down but its just reality.

urban legend
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
i agree the season was lost in anahiem with those two losses in extra innings.. the team was playing with confidence and ever since then its like they are just punching thier time cards in and out....2009 ws champs ???

WillRain
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
It's probably too late this year given the Yanks seem to be stirring - I'm not terribly optomistic BUT there's no way in hell it takes 100 wins to make the playoffs, 90 may well be enough - certainly enough to be playing serious games in September.

That's 54-31 from today to get to 90 or .635

Not an impossible number in the abstract but it would be a huge turnaround at this point.

WillRain
06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
i agree the season was lost in anahiem with those two losses in extra innings.. the team was playing with confidence and ever since then its like they are just punching thier time cards in and out....2009 ws champs ???

I disagree. i think that the LA and NY series are both things you let roll off your back.

If there was a mental point of collapse it was that bullpen blowup vs. Baltimore on Friday night.

statquo
06-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I disagree. i think that the LA and NY series are both things you let roll off your back.

If there was a mental point of collapse it was that bullpen blowup vs. Baltimore on Friday night.

I disagree and agree. I believe it started with that Ryan blown save against the Angels, which really hurt, then the Giambi walkoff hurt even more with it being the Yankees doing it. The Baltimore game was the finishing punch of the combo that hurt the most and put us in the tailspin we're in.

JaysFan87
06-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Should we just look forward to 09. I know its not even the all star game yet and its just june but honestly this team doesnt seem like the 07 rockies. As of Sunday we have 86 games left. We all know that 100 win team is what its gonna take to make the playoffs. We have to win 65 of the 86 games to get 100 winws. I just dont see it. Sorry for being so down but its just reality.

We all know????
There is a very good chance it might not even take 90 wins to make the playoffs in the American League...

JaysFan87
06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I disagree and agree. I believe it started with that Ryan blown save against the Angels, which really hurt, then the Giambi walkoff hurt even more with it being the Yankees doing it. The Baltimore game was the finishing punch of the combo that hurt the most and put us in the tailspin we're in.

By no means is the season over...
But no one game lost the season for us....losing 15 of 20 usually does the trick tho...

statquo
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
By no means is the season over...
But no one game lost the season for us....losing 15 of 20 usually does the trick tho...

I'm jsut saying thats where the wheels fell off. 15 of 20 does usually do the trick.

bomber0104
06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
100 wins? I dunno what ur thinking but I agree, this season is very close to being a wash

Canadian hemi
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't think the season is lost (yet) but it's dam close!!!!

jaysrocksox
06-23-2008, 11:45 AM
We all know????
There is a very good chance it might not even take 90 wins to make the playoffs in the American League...

I agree, with many of the teams being pretty competitive against each other.

H-MYK
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't pack it in just yet.

The_Realist
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
The season is only half over. Now I admit that it would take a lot of work to make the playoffs, but it is not impossible. There is still plenty of games left to win. Furthermore, this isn't the Baltimore Orioles who have being playing above their heads for the first half. The Jays have been performing under their potential in the first half, which leads me to believe that they will over perform in the second half. It all seems to even out in baseball. Stranger things have happened.

RaptorFan89
07-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey the jays are done! Next year they have to move some of there best players to get better.( Doc, wells and rois)

2009mvp
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
^^I sincerely hope you eventually re-read that statement and understand just how little sense it made.

lexlimo
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
The thing that's making me crazy is Tampa Bay. Like it's not enough to have to figure out a way to beat New York and/or Boston, but this year the toughest team to catch is freakin' Tampa Bay. That, in itself, makes me very worried about this season.

urban legend
07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
this is the way i think things are gonna go down at the end of the season

Boston is gonna win the divison again. followed by the rays,jays yankees and orioles with the rays winning the wc and the jays somewhere around 6-7 games behind the rays

bring on 09:clap:

ratboy
07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
With what has transpired this season, I can't imagine what there is to look forward next season. They will come back with the core group that they have now.

Ricciardi has soured this team's ability to sign players because of a mouth almost the size of his beak. Losing the number of games that they have, with the pitching they have, is absolutely stunning.

Contending with Wells' backloaded contract will be an issue. I am still furious with Ricciardi for signing Wells to an elite hitters contract, when he was an above average hitter and nothing more. Of course, he was trying to save his job by making, what he felt, was a popular signing. It was the same thing that he did in signing Cito. Another popular move to save his job. Everyone knows Ricciardi should have been canned along with Gibby.

I don't know what the answer is? They need a clever GM that can rebuild this club, for one thing.

I would be willing to bet that no one on this club can stand Ricciardi. Maybe, they want him run out of town?

This team will not make the playoffs. There hasn't been any sign of this team pulling it together.

RaptorFan89
07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
What I mean by that was they will have to move a good asset to make the team better, I dont mean everyone must go. But something has to happen I have watch this team struggle for years.

nithanyo
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
unless we get a great hitting short stop, a power hitting left fielder a power hitting dh and a high caliber starter to replace aj we might as well not talk about next season either

JaysFan87
07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
^^^we should fold the team for a couple years in that case......:rolleyes:

Zaunnie
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
unless we get a great hitting short stop, a power hitting left fielder a power hitting dh and a high caliber starter to replace aj we might as well not talk about next season either

*coughsheahillenbrandcough*

nithanyo
07-03-2008, 11:12 PM
^^im just saying. Tampa is gonna have some of their superstars ready to make an impact on an already great team, Boston has the core locked up next year and new york is gonna go on a huge spending spree which only means we have to have left field, shortstop, catcher, DH and another pitcher ready to go if we want to compete

JaysFan87
07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
^^im just saying. Tampa is gonna have some of their superstars ready to make an impact on an already great team, Boston has the core locked up next year and new york is gonna go on a huge spending spree which only means we have to have left field, shortstop, catcher, DH and another pitcher ready to go if we want to compete

you do realize that its going to be very very unlikely that the jays go after a catcher this off-season...

McJoe
07-04-2008, 10:02 AM
i honestly still think this year is/was the opportunity and we may have already wasted it...the Rays are already here and theyll only get better and the sox and yanks will always be good so we might just be ****ed but i still believe that the rays will fall apart down the stretch giving us an outside shot if we keep playing well and maybe add something at the deadline

nithanyo
07-04-2008, 10:57 AM
^^c'mon we just lost two of three to the worst team in the game. Do you still believe we got a shot?

ah nuts
07-04-2008, 05:22 PM
^^c'mon we just lost two of three to the worst team in the game. Do you still believe we got a shot?

remember they threw a lot of lefties at us.

Also only a few(3?) years ago, didn't the jays have one of the best records in MLB after the all star break? (I could be thinking of something else)

if they make the 500 mark at the break, they have the pitching to make a run. Many times - you see a very different team after the break!!

WillRain
07-04-2008, 06:43 PM

It's not a great team though, it's a hot team.

Ranked by current OPS:

Longoria - good young player, will probably be All Star caliber
Hinske - total fluke, playing like a great player
Upton - .804 is about like your average Vernon Wells year, very good
Navvaro - way better than he has hit consistently before, and even that is upper middle-range for a catcher, not "great"
Floyd - I assume we don't have to discuss whether he is "great"
Pena - back down to earth, lower OPS than Overbay whom a lot of Jays fans hate
Crawford - .730 OPS? 100 points off his peak and at his peak he's only semi-great without the wheels. But I like the guy
Iwamura - Hitting worse that your typical Eckstien year and not close to as good as Hill normally is.
Bartlett - hits like Johnny Mac.

Longoria, Upton, Crawford. Three near-great players.

And a bunch of more or less ordinary guys.
-------------------------
Pitching?

Kazmir - great
Sheilds - not as good as Marcum this year but probably a similar level
Garza - solid #3, again, in the area of where Marcum will normally be probably.
Jackson - ordinary #4
Sonanstinne - ordinary #5

Wheeler - Scotty Downs level
Percival - not as good as Ryan by any stretch
Miller, Howell, Glover, Reyes - no greats there.
--------------------------
So, thrown in Kazmir and you have, at most, 4 great players on a 25 man roster.

Prospects?

1. Evan Longoria, 3b - arrived

2. David Price, lhp - great potential, greater than Cecil? maybe, maybe not.

3. Jake McGee, lhp - TJ surgery

4. Wade Davis, rhp - Ordinary in AA

5. Reid Brignac, ss - having an ordinary year in AAA, assumed to be an above average SS some day.

6. Desmond Jennings, of - A long way from being as good as even Lind, to say nothing of Snider

7. Jeff Niemann, rhp - no more or less a prospective success than Purcey

8. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp - just promoted to AA, looked like a monster in A ball

9. Ryan Royster, of - .619 OPS in A ball.

10. Chris Mason, rhp - 6.38 ERA in AAA

I'm not seeing a wave of greatness there either.

In fact, absent Longoria, I'll take our top 10 prospects as easy as there.

Snider, JPA, Cecil, Purcey, Jackson, Ginley, Campbell, Ahrens, Eiland, and guys who have still not really gotten started in their career like League and Lind....

there's as much potential for greatness in either group.

count me out on the "OMG the Rays!" fan club.

H-MYK
07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
you do realize that its going to be very very unlikely that the jays go after a catcher this off-season...

Well, they got Zaun, Barajas and Thigpen. How long is Barajas' contract right now? 1 year or 2?