PDA

View Full Version : Rangers set to let Avery walk?

Sabres39
06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
The Rangers are likely to let pesky forward Sean Avery slip away via unrestricted free agency, according to the New York Post.
In fact, the Post reported, that Rangers GM Glen Sather has informed the agents for all five of their pending unrestricted free agents that he doesn't intend on signing any of them before July 1.

Beginning that day, Avery, Fs Jaromir Jagr, Martin Straka, Brendan Shanahan and D Michal Rozsival will be free to seek the highest bidder.

The Post said it's believed Avery could be headed back to the Kings now that they have fired coach Marc Crawford and that the Rangers might go after Maple Leafs F Darcy Tucker if Toronto buys out his contract by June 30.

Earlier this spring the Rangers and Avery were apparently $750,000 per year apart in contract negotiations, according to the Daily News of New York.

The paper said Sather hadn't budged from a midseason offer of $2.75M per season while Avery wanted at least $3.5M per year.

Avery made $1.9M this past season in a one-year deal he received after a contentious arbitration hearing between him and the Rangers last summer.
ESPN

King Henrik
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
sather wants his *** kicked

redwhiteandblue
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
What the hell is wrong with this guy? Let me start by saying I don't mind Avery. I had a feeling he was walking anyways, as was Roszi and Straka but we need to get Jagr signed on and at least talk to Brendan about taking on a smaller role on next years team... and Tucker..? FTW? I don't get this, but maybe this crazy ******* has something up his sleeve? I'm guessing he's going HARD after Campbell and rightfully so, probably will make a run at Hossa if he slips out there but I don't see him coming here. I could see him in our jersey, I just think he'll sign elsewhere.

pavel96
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
idk know why people think hes tough when he trys to fight little guys like blake....he must be tuff

redwhiteandblue
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
He's not tough. He's not a tough guy or agitator, he's a pest or instigator. He's good at it but he's not tough. I'm sure he could handle most average guys, but he doesn't go after anyone I would consider a heavyweight.

jetsfan89
06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
you've got to be kidding me.

crowdawg239
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Whenever Avery was in the lineup this team won. We have to resign Avery and Jagr back. And discuss bringing Shanny back as maybe a 3rd liner.

elshiznato31
06-21-2008, 04:58 PM
This team's ownership has to go. The Dolans are complete idiots and Glen Sather is truly a fkn moron.

crowdawg239
06-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the forum elshiznato31. Hope you enjoy psd.

jetsfan89
06-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Whenever Avery was in the lineup this team won. We have to resign Avery and Jagr back. And discuss bringing Shanny back as maybe a 3rd liner.

shanny is done man. nigel dawes and ryan callahan will probably be the third liners.

nrmax88
06-21-2008, 07:09 PM
What the hell is wrong with this guy? Let me start by saying I don't mind Avery. I had a feeling he was walking anyways, as was Roszi and Straka but we need to get Jagr signed on and at least talk to Brendan about taking on a smaller role on next years team... and Tucker..? FTW? I don't get this, but maybe this crazy ******* has something up his sleeve? I'm guessing he's going HARD after Campbell and rightfully so, probably will make a run at Hossa if he slips out there but I don't see him coming here. I could see him in our jersey, I just think he'll sign elsewhere.

been reading here a while but finally decided to register and post. And ughh. Of course, the Rangers will go after Tucker, why wouldn't they, he is the older, weaker, slower, worse version of Avery. Avery pretty much singlehandedly changed this team, so they will let him walk. Yes, lets go get Brian Cambell because he is friends with Chris Drury, here is a better idea, trade away Drury, he is the most overated player I have ever seen. This guy is not good at all he is like the NHL version of David Eckstein (a scrapper, aka a player who loves the game and tries real hard but has no real talent to speak of.). Where was Chris in the playoffs? Doing a disapearing act that would make Houdini proud. Why would this idiot not re-sign Avery, it makes no sense. He made them the team that they were the last year and a half. They are garbage without him. Everytime you think the rangers are on the up and up, and everything is going in a positive direction, they do something incredibly stupid that just makes you scratch your head. Wade Redden would be nice, to QB the PP, and a big forard like Malone would help too. Sather is a moron.

redwhiteandblue
06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
been reading here a while but finally decided to register and post. And ughh. Of course, the Rangers will go after Tucker, why wouldn't they, he is the older, weaker, slower, worse version of Avery. Avery pretty much singlehandedly changed this team, so they will let him walk. Yes, lets go get Brian Cambell because he is friends with Chris Drury, here is a better idea, trade away Drury, he is the most overated player I have ever seen. This guy is not good at all he is like the NHL version of David Eckstein (a scrapper, aka a player who loves the game and tries real hard but has no real talent to speak of.). Where was Chris in the playoffs? Doing a disapearing act that would make Houdini proud. Why would this idiot not re-sign Avery, it makes no sense. He made them the team that they were the last year and a half. They are garbage without him. Everytime you think the rangers are on the up and up, and everything is going in a positive direction, they do something incredibly stupid that just makes you scratch your head. Wade Redden would be nice, to QB the PP, and a big forard like Malone would help too. Sather is a moron.

Get rid of Drury? No. For one you can't get rid of him or Gomez. If you want to get rid of Drury, you clearly didn't watch any regular season. He was a player signed more for his intangibles along with his skill. He's not a bad player by any means, he's just not going to score you 35+ every year. BUT he will sacrifice his body EVERYTIME its neccesary, he's a FANTASTIC penalty killer, not to mention he's going to be the leader of this team for a while. He's a great leader and we haven't seen one the likes of him since Messiah/Leetch. Ill give you this much, he was a BIT of a houdini in playoffs, but not that much. He was in the right place at the right times, but really didn't finish everytime this postseason, so that's why I'll give you that much, but it doesn't warrant a trade out of here. He is the epitome of clutch, everything the man touches turns to gold. Anybody remember who put us away in that series against Buffalo last year TWO games in a row? Scored an GW with what, 3.4 to go? C'mon give him time to show you why he's here, he didn't even play bad this year.

And Campbell, I'm assuming you were chirping the idea of us going after him... I can see your point as to grab Redden. I brought that notion up to my friends when it was seeming as if Campbell wasn't hitting the market. We needed a guy that fits their mold, and if you get Campbell for what 1.5-2.5 million more, for a guy whos what, 2-3 years younger til he drops out of his prime, I'm taking it. He's showen so much consistent progression in his game entering his prime and he's the exact piece we need. A PP QB. I don't see Redden as a bad acquisition, but I'd take Campbell first especially if he's going to be happy playing along a good friend and other fellow national team members.

And Avery, man this gets me going all the time. Let me say this, YES I understand we had a better record when he was on the ice, but that's no surprise. When people talk about Avery making us better they make it seem as if he's putting the puck in the net every night. No, he's not. He's a decent goal scorer and had some snips this year, but you can attribute his linemates to alot of that. He's never surpassed 15 goals or hit 40 points yet. The reason he's such a contributor to our lineup is because he's a PEST, not an ENFORCER a PEST. Big difference. IMO, we can afford to let him walk. You can breed another Sean Avery through the system easily. You could grab a good young kid with a mean streak in him, and hell while you're at it let's get someone with some size who will fight, and teach him to play the game you're looking for. Like I said before I'd only take Avery for a year or two contract, not surpassing 3.0 a year.

And I'm not a big fan of signing Malone either. He's definetly got a better scoring touch then Avery, but I think he benefited alot from playing alongside such a potent offense, much like Avery did from his line. He wouldn't be a horrible pick up, but I'm not sure he's proven himself to be a 4-5 million dollar a year player. I'd rather give Jagr 5-6 with some incentives and keep him.

letsgorangers27
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
we could go for a offer sheet with carcillo if avery walks.

nrmax88
06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Get rid of Drury? No. For one you can't get rid of him or Gomez. If you want to get rid of Drury, you clearly didn't watch any regular season. He was a player signed more for his intangibles along with his skill. He's not a bad player by any means, he's just not going to score you 35+ every year. BUT he will sacrifice his body EVERYTIME its neccesary, he's a FANTASTIC penalty killer, not to mention he's going to be the leader of this team for a while. He's a great leader and we haven't seen one the likes of him since Messiah/Leetch. Ill give you this much, he was a BIT of a houdini in playoffs, but not that much. He was in the right place at the right times, but really didn't finish everytime this postseason, so that's why I'll give you that much, but it doesn't warrant a trade out of here. He is the epitome of clutch, everything the man touches turns to gold. Anybody remember who put us away in that series against Buffalo last year TWO games in a row? Scored an GW with what, 3.4 to go? C'mon give him time to show you why he's here, he didn't even play bad this year.

And Campbell, I'm assuming you were chirping the idea of us going after him... I can see your point as to grab Redden. I brought that notion up to my friends when it was seeming as if Campbell wasn't hitting the market. We needed a guy that fits their mold, and if you get Campbell for what 1.5-2.5 million more, for a guy whos what, 2-3 years younger til he drops out of his prime, I'm taking it. He's showen so much consistent progression in his game entering his prime and he's the exact piece we need. A PP QB. I don't see Redden as a bad acquisition, but I'd take Campbell first especially if he's going to be happy playing along a good friend and other fellow national team members.

And Avery, man this gets me going all the time. Let me say this, YES I understand we had a better record when he was on the ice, but that's no surprise. When people talk about Avery making us better they make it seem as if he's putting the puck in the net every night. No, he's not. He's a decent goal scorer and had some snips this year, but you can attribute his linemates to alot of that. He's never surpassed 15 goals or hit 40 points yet. The reason he's such a contributor to our lineup is because he's a PEST, not an ENFORCER a PEST. Big difference. IMO, we can afford to let him walk. You can breed another Sean Avery through the system easily. You could grab a good young kid with a mean streak in him, and hell while you're at it let's get someone with some size who will fight, and teach him to play the game you're looking for. Like I said before I'd only take Avery for a year or two contract, not surpassing 3.0 a year.

And I'm not a big fan of signing Malone either. He's definetly got a better scoring touch then Avery, but I think he benefited alot from playing alongside such a potent offense, much like Avery did from his line. He wouldn't be a horrible pick up, but I'm not sure he's proven himself to be a 4-5 million dollar a year player. I'd rather give Jagr 5-6 with some incentives and keep him.

You are pretty much right on all fronts. I still think Drury is overated. But he is important and should have the C when Jagr is gone. It also drove me insane watching him be miscast as a PP point man and a shootout guy for half the season, when this is clearly not his game. I still think its a joke to not bring Avery back though, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding Jags, Shanny, Straka etc. I know he is not an enforcer, but he is a good player and he forces the team to rally around him because of his antics. I only suggested Malone because he is a big boy who can get infront of the net on the powerplay without being pushed around. Which no other Ranger can do. They are undersized and soft, and this cost them in the postseason. I would also like to see Renney and his conservative style get off the bench and back up into the front office. They brought in these guys last year to make what seemed like a high octane offense, and they couldn't score goals. If you want to bring in guys to play a defensive system, no need to spend big dollars on 2 key free agents last year. I would love to see Tortorella behind the bench. In general though I just want to see an exciting brand of hockey like Buffalo or Detroit, not the second coming of the trap. Although the rangers got hot last year late, it was just a boring season for me too watch, and a disapointing one, which in turn disapoints me even more because I constantly tell friends of mine they are nuts to call hockey boring. But the way the Rangers played most of last year, I have to say, it was pretty effin boring. Either way, they are going to have some big time work to do this offseason.

Desert Plains
06-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Good post. Don't necessarily agree with everything, but I see your position. Iím with you on some of points Ö

Drury Ė right on. He wasnít signed to score 50 goals and 100 points. Thatís not his game. Itís the leadership, the toughness in his defensive game, his penalty killing - how many times did he dive forward, reaching as far as he could and pop the puck out of the defensive zone (sounds easy to do, but heís one of the few in the league that do it). He does what it takes to win, either offensively or defensively. But, I do think 35 goals are within reach and likely Ė he had 25 this year after a real slow start.

Campbell Ė Iíd take him, but for me, heís not a $7M player. If the price is closer to $5M, okay. But, until last year, he never hit 50 points. So, Iíd be okay with Redden if the price is right. If Campbell is a $7M player and we can get Redden for $5M, why not go with Redden? Sure heís older, but he has a better all around game and still gets us the QB on the power play.

Avery Ė I do think the Rangers record speaks for itself with and without him in the lineup. Heís a better player talent then Malone, who heís compared with. Malone just got $4.5M per year coming off a year where he played much of it with either Crosby and/or Malkin. Put Avery with those guys and he puts up better numbers. If Malone can get $4.5, Avery is certainly worth $4M for me. Sure, heís ďonlyĒ a pest, but how important are enforcers in todayís NHL anyway? Was Colton Orr not dressing the reason we lost to the Pens? And you canít just turn a player into Avery Ė there arenít that many like him that combine the annoying side and the hockey talent. I donít think Sather is going to sign him, and I think that will be a big mistake. I also donít think itís the money Ė there seems to be another reason Sather doesnít want him back. Could it be Sather doesnít buy into the record difference, did he start rubbing guys the wrong way in the locker room, does Sather think he can find another ďpestĒ like him (or maybe he thinks we have one at Hartford already)?? I donít know, but for those that donít want Avery back, itís looking more and more like youíll get what you want.

Malone Ė as I said above, I donít think heís worth what he got. Your post was before he signed, but you have him as a better player then Avery. Iím not so sure.

Either way, Iím looking forward to see what starts to unfold. Sather has been quiet as he always is. Lets hope he has a plan and doesnít haphazardly start bringing in guys that donít necessarily fit with the direction the team is going - and that means with or without Jagr as the Captain (something that probably needs to be transitioned to Drury).

redwhiteandblue
06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll give you this, more and more I'm feeling remorse for letting Avery walk, but I still don't feel his such an important part of the team as everyone else does. I may be a little biased, because I'm not all for the kind of guy who can be a distraction and ****, my personal opinion, but I still don't think he's so 'gifted' as people think. I've said before, he definetly has an above average-good scoring prowess, just nothing special. I'm not high on him period.

And this may be straying from the 'point' here a little but here's my take on a couple things. Hockey wise, I've seen alot of drug activity so to speak. We host a farm team here for the Sens and I've heard of MANY connections of these players to cocaine. I'm not going to drop names, because I've heard of them doing it for certain, and it's not my point-of-view to 100% 'rat' somebody, but no matter how certain I wouldn't put their name out near something that may not be. But the names I've heard are big. You can take it for what it's worth, but my point is the reality is its out there and they have money to spend. An example of this is two years ago Wade Redden, who was looking quite thin, got a bloody nose mid-game (a clear sign along with thinness of cocaine abuse). He was taken to the locker-room and dismissed from team functions for a week or so for 'personal reasons' (rehab?). I could be wrong again, but this is a conclusion me and my friends came to and it's not so 'crazy' if you think about it.

The point this leads me to is Avery. How much for certain do we know the guy had a spleen rupture? Are you trying to tell me this guy RUPTURED his spleen in the middle of a game and kept playing? I know the Stanley Cup is a hard fought coveted prize, but I'm not sure how well you'd be with a ruputured spleen, but I'm not doctor. Point being he fits the bill of someone who may 'induldge'. He's over the top, excited, amped and full of energy, 24/7. I've seen guys blow lines before games I've played with, hell pop a pill of something. I've even heard of guys in the show that go to have cig breaks in between shift, mostly Euro's. (Jagr's skates seem to always be faulty between shifts don't they?) So from my point of view, I took it as the guy was high on cocaine and probably near OD'ed. Now to me, on top of the lockerroom distraction he already is and the nuisance(sp?), I really don't want this guy around my team, locked up for a while, giving him more money to play with then he already has. How many times, especially towards playoffs and the end of playoffs, did you see someoen like Drury telling him to slow the **** down and ease his role? Too many, even for someoen that's trying to be a pest. Maybe this is the thing Sather knows, and for that reason is playing hardball with Avery, or why he's actually letting him walk. Let it be someone else's problem.

Now this is purely my OPINION. I'm not saying its hard concrete evidence, or that I have any to back it up. 95% of what I've mentioned here and what else I know is secondhand. But it's not illogical so to speak if that's a word. Step back and look at it, you may agree. You may not, all I'm saying is take it for what it's worth. It's my opinion you can look at it anyway, but most certainly do not trash me for it.

And for anyone that thinks a hockey player wouldn't get away with this, how about Chris Pronger's situation? These guys aren't angels, they're just good at looking like class acts, but hell this guy got a woman PREGNANT! A beatwriter for their team! You know how they handled it in Edmonton? They made it a moot issue, and traded him to the Ducks, a move many we're surprised by.

Desert Plains
06-30-2008, 11:21 PM
WOW, redwhiteandblue. I don't know what to say. That came out of left field. I haven't heard anything like this anywhere, plus I'm pretty sure the NHL has testing. So, I find it all a bit far fetched.

I still think there's some reason Sather doesn't want Avery back. But, then again, no one is going to call Sather a genius. So, it could just be that he's showing his cluelessness again. Other then bringing in smart peope around him that have helped get some talent back into the the system, the only thing he's done right the past few years is trade for Aveny. Now, when we see that Avery can play, Sather wants to let him go. Sather is the one that needs to go. I'm tired of him and his ego. He won cups with Gretzky and Messier. And, he's doen nothing for 20 years since.

pavel96
07-01-2008, 12:31 AM
i think drury is a let down for the money hes gettin paid, and i like shanahan in shootouts b/c he can pick that top corner w/ the best of them, i think he should have a bigger role

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Like I said, it was just my opinion. I'm not accusing the guy of anything and saying it's whats going on. Pretty much my mind was wandering. The conclusion I was getting at is IMO that could be part of the situation, and perhaps Sather knows it.

But I'm not even sure the NHL has very strict testing. I'm sure there's some form of it, but I don't think it's anything hardcore.

King Henrik
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
wow redwhiteandblue, wow.

not sure how to respond, think its possible obviously, but theres no reason at all to think that Avery uses coke during games besides his spleen, i guess, but that could have been anything. Pretty lowball accusation if you ask me.

My opinion: Avery is a player that goes and gives it his all, and you cant go wrong with a player who does that AND produces. I've already conceded the fact that Avery wont be bleeding blue next year, and that sucks.