PDA

View Full Version : I am so sick of the Pirates

jch102383
06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I cant even watch the Pirates anymore...They stay somewhat competitive for the first 2 and half months and then they fall apart after interleague play. We get what $70 million some from the luxery tax and barely spend it. Their pitching is soooo terrible, I am beginning to cheer against them. I wish they would have moved, maybe we could have acquired a minor league team.

Can someone give me some hope for this team? Because they make me sick and I hope PNC collapses while they are the road to end this misery.

Bubba17
06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
sorry but they werent really supposed to be very good...so being competitive this long should have made ya happy :shrug:

PiratesLife4Me
06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I get pretty frustrated with them too, and after bad losses they make me want to stop paying attention to them. I was at the Baltimore game last Friday when they blew the 6-1 lead to lose, and that made me feel totally disgruntled.

But in the end, you have to look at the big picture. Are they a better team this year than last year? Absolutely...just look at the progression of guys like Nate McLouth and Ryan Doumit, or the resurgence of Jason Bay, or the way Zach Duke has started to turn the corner and is maturing into a more consistent pitcher.

Sure, everything isn't perfect. Guys who are used to success like Ian Snell or Tom Gorzelanny are experiencing bumps in the road, but this happens to every young player (besides those rare phenoms, which neither Snell nor Gorzelanny happens to be). Obviously Snell or Gorzo didn't get bad...that doesn't happen. We have seen what they are capable of, and now they have to adjust.

The major leagues are all about adjustments. When a guy has success, the so-called "book" gets out on them. Everyone instantly knows their tendencies and ins and outs. It's how a player responds to that which ultimately defines their success or lack thereof. In short, just because some guys are having bad years on the team doesn't mean they can't learn how to keep their opponents more on their toes.

Sure, we all get mad at the Pirates, but I think if we all stand back and really look at this season's players, management, and organization, we can say that things are headed in the right direction. At least that's my opinion, anyway.

NYMetros
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
We weren't supposed to be a playoff team this year. Look at the Devil rays right now. In a couple of years, we have the potential to be as good as them, or better. I like our young pitching. I love our lineup. IMO this team will have a lot to be proud of very soon.

ScottyZak
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not seeing the young pitching your speaking about. Their top two young arms have regressed tremendously and everyone else on that staff is at best a third starter.

As far as them being like Tampa Bay in a couple of years. I mean how is that gonna happen! Tampa had highly touted prospects that are now leading their team. Plus they have more on the way!!! The Bucs do not have such a luxury. Their main hope is that they can deal some of the veterans to restock the system. A system that Littlefield just drove into the ground

jesusncleats
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I cant even watch the Pirates anymore...They stay somewhat competitive for the first 2 and half months and then they fall apart after interleague play. We get what $70 million some from the luxery tax and barely spend it. Their pitching is soooo terrible, I am beginning to cheer against them. I wish they would have moved, maybe we could have acquired a minor league team.

Can someone give me some hope for this team? Because they make me sick and I hope PNC collapses while they are the road to end this misery.

Where did you see that at?

PiratesLife4Me
06-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not seeing the young pitching your speaking about. Their top two young arms have regressed tremendously...

This is what I'm talking about. There's really no such thing as "regression" in major league baseball. There are only guys who can adjust and guys who can't. Snell, Gorzo, Duke, and Maholm all have talent, or else they wouldn't be in the major leagues. But after seeing enough of them, other teams can get their tendencies down to a T. Now our guys have to learn how to adjust and keep opposing hitters on their toes more so than ever. If they can make these adjustments, they will be successful. If they can't, then obviously they won't be. But don't say that they have "regressed," because that would be insinuating that they have lost physical abilities in the course of a single season.

As for the comparison with Tampa Bay, I think it is an accurate one. Look, we aren't going to be amazing this year, next year, the year after, or maybe the year after that. But the right people are in place to start making decisions that should have been made long ago: to draft the best players instead of the cheapest, to spend money more smartly, to devote more time/energy/funds to details of the organization which need improvements rather than ignoring them. This team is headed in the right direction, and if you can't see that or don't believe that, then you are impatient fans who might as well start cheering for the Yankees or Red Sox if you want an instant winner.

MG3
06-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Give a young team time...I mean they're not the most talented team in the world granted...but seriously look at the big picture...they have good arms and several good surprises (i.e. McLouth/Dumatrait/Duke)...nady is going to fetch a good price at the deadline if he can get healthy and keep hitting...we have walker and alvarez on the way with mccutchen...future line up looks like this

C-Doumit
1B-LaRoche/Alveraz
2B-Sanchez
3B-Walker
SS-Bixler
OF-McLouth
OF-McCutchen
OF-Pearce/Morgan

I think that's a GREAT young team...and this could be our team by 2009/10 season

NYMetros
06-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I think that would be an extremely successful team in the near future. This just takes tiem guys. We need to be patient. Already, we are starting to see the results. 3 games away from reaching .500 on the year. That is a pretty good achievement for us this far into the season and I think we can build off this.

jlohm1
07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
There doing better than the Reds.

NYMetros
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
There doing better than the Reds.

Maybe, but it is mainly because the Pirates have been so bad for so long that people are starting to get sick of it. I think we are improving though.

MG3
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
there's no question...and aside from the al east...the nl central might just be the best division in baseball

BaRRySandAmaN
07-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I would love to see the Pirates get moving, I was in your guys same prediciment not too long ago. Now our studs are coming in Milwaukee and we still have more on the way as well. Give it time, everything gels eventually. Nady will get you some young talent for sure and I like the Mccutchen kid alot