PDA

View Full Version : Grant Contract Thread (Contract Signed!!!)

IRNMN
06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Running back Ryan Grant said on Wednesday he has no doubts his contract situation will be resolved by the time training camp starts in late July, but in the meantime he's doing everything he can to stay involved while he's not practicing.

During Wednesday morning's mini-camp workout inside the Don Hutson Center, Grant was seen with his helmet on doing some conditioning drills along with several injured players who weren't practicing. He's also often watching the team (11-on-11) segments of practice, particularly when the offense is working on the running game.

For More Info:

http://packers.com/news/stories/2008/06/18/2/

wissportsfan
06-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Thats good to hear lets hope that TT can get this deal done quickly so Grant can get back out there.

salsa
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
yea no kidding. this shows that grant is committed and wants to get in there asap

hughest4
06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Grant has been at all the camps even if he hasn't been involved in the physical activities. He is probably doing it so he isn't a step behind when he does finally get the new contract. The only good thing about this is that Brandon Jackson is getting all these snaps with the 1st team offense. Still...get the contract done

robdizzle3
06-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Im not a big fan of giving a running back tha hasnt even played a full year a big contract before seeing how he pans out but I guess its good news to get it done

StickyGreenFan
06-19-2008, 10:27 AM
its probably not a huge contract but he did come through for us last year. unless his contract got changed he would be one of the lowest paid people on the team this year. for what he accomplished that kinda sucks. and i admire ryan for not being like all these other big headed, whiny, chad johnson like players and asking for a new contract with dignity and not being a distraction... i wish more players had that kinda class and loyalty

PackAttack09
06-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Grant said “No doubt. Not at all,” “I’m real optimistic, I feel good and … I’m going to take care of what I’ve got control of.”

- what my guess is on this statement is that the deal is close enough to what he wants that he's gonna push for a little extra before training camp, and if nothing else happens he'll just take the deal. I think if the deal wasn't as close than he wouldn't sound so optimistic...

jwdaly07
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
So...About that deal?

I'm curious as to why nothing has happened on this front for awhile now.

wissportsfan
07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Anyone know how much money we got left right now?

jwdaly07
07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
I think it was at like 35 mil when Favre retired, and I'd estimate about 5m goes to draft contracts, so somewhere around 30 probably

XJW18
07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
RYAN GRANT INTERVIEW ON ESPN FIRST TAKE

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnb

newdude
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Im not a big fan of giving a running back tha hasnt even played a full year a big contract before seeing how he pans out but I guess its good news to get it done

I agree with this and I'm alittle hesitant on it, lets just hope it'll be a reasonable one if a contract is agreed upon.

socalpkrbkr
07-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Exclusive rights free agent Ryan Grant now does not plan to report to Packers training camp on time if no long-term contract is in place.

The sides are currently in "substantive talks," but Grant's agent says no deal is imminent. Grant is pushing for lots of performance-based pay, which seems fair for both sides. The Packers open training camp on Sunday.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

hughest4
07-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Now this is getting pretty annoying. Based on what you just posted he wants a lot of performance-based pay so i don't know what the problem is. If he is producing then pay him, whats the big deal? They just need to sign the contract and get him into camp ASAP

socalpkrbkr
07-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Exactly. A performance based contract is the way to go with Ryan Grant. I would guess that something is going to happen soon. I can't imagine Grant missing more than a week of camp. Maybe the hick up is the length of the deal.

socalpkrbkr
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
GREEN BAY -- Alan Herman, the agent for unsigned Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant, had been optimistic a deal would get done before training camp opens Monday.

Not anymore.

"We've got three days to go before training camp and we're nowhere, absolutely nowhere,'' Herman said Thursday night. "I've always been optimistic, now we have 72 hours to get this done and I haven't even talked to them in the last 48.''

Martz
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
oh what the hell....get it done already.

newdude
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
It's either TT is too stingy with the contract or Grant is wanting too much cash attached to the performance-based pay.

Brooke
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Good grief, just get it done already Packers. He deserves it

beast
07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438211

After several months of no movement in contract negotiations, the representative for Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant is cautiously optimistic that a new contract could be hammered out within the next day, paving the way for Grant to report for the start of training camp Sunday.

Alan Herman, Grant's agent, received a phone call midday Friday from Packers vice president of football administration Russ Ball, who told Herman the team has called the NFL for clarification on Herman's contract proposal and how it could affect Green Bay's salary cap in 2008 and future years.

Herman declined to reveal exactly what he is asking for, saying it was a performance-based contract proposal that would trigger various monies if Grant met specific performance standards. Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

An obscure running back who did not play a down in his first two NFL seasons with the New York Giants, Grant authored an improbable story last season after being traded to Green Bay on Sept. 1 for a sixth-round pick in the '08 draft. He became a starter in Week 9 (the Packers' eighth game) and rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He added 230 yards on 40 carries in two playoff games, establishing Packers postseason rushing records for yards (201) and touchdowns (three) in a divisional-round win over Seattle.

Senior writer Dennis Dillon covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at ddillon@sportingnews.com.

salsa
07-27-2008, 02:05 AM
This is pissing me off...just get this done already, he is one of the main players that we need back in camp.

duncky1188
07-27-2008, 11:44 AM
If this Favre stuff didn't happen I bet he would already be signed and ready to go for camp.

socalpkrbkr
07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Well I just read that Ryan Grant is a no show at camp. Hopefully this doesn't drag on for too long.

OnWisconsin2007
07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
So TT doesn't want Favre, does he not think he needs Grant either? Grant is the most important player to the team right now. We do have 35 million in cap room, how about signing some goddamned players? This is ridiculous. TT is really starting to frustrate me. What next? He's going to dump Grant for Deshawn Wynn yet again?

Brooke
07-27-2008, 02:11 PM
So TT doesn't want Favre, does he not think he needs Grant either? Grant is the most important player to the team right now. We do have 35 million in cap room, how about signing some goddamned players? This is ridiculous. TT is really starting to frustrate me. What next? He's going to dump Grant for Deshawn Wynn yet again?

He seriously is a idiot. They need Ryan Grant especially if there is no Favre

duncky1188
07-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Favre has caused the distraction so TT had to focus on that and not signing Grant.

darwin31
07-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Favre has caused the distraction so TT had to focus on that and not signing Grant.

Its called multi-tasking.

Brooke
07-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I just had ESPN on and apparenty all he has been offered so far is RB backup type of money. Shows a lot right there doesn't it :mad:

OnWisconsin2007
07-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Why doesn't TT just suit up? It'd be a better option than some practice squad RB starting alongside Rodgers next year...

socalpkrbkr
07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Ryan Grant - RB
The agent for Ryan Grant called Green Bay's contract offer to his client "insulting."

"Ryan Grant gave them a running back last year," the agent said. "They know what he can do." The Packers proposed a six-year deal that includes a meager $1.75 million to sign. The agent found that unreasonable after SLB Brady Poppinga got a $3 million signing bonus. Asked Grant's thoughts personally, the agent said "He was as mad as I ever heard him. He's really angry."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Brooke
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
That is what they offered him? GMAB

Talk about insulting

socalpkrbkr
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Here TT lovers, this is a must read:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/27/agent-packers-offer-to-grant-quot-insulting-quot.aspx

wwfd1220
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
well tt is pissing off even more players. luckily for him grant either has to honor the contract or not play football. what a douch tt is. now grant comes in and is lights out good. and 2 years from now walks away from green bay. aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh this is pissing me off. i dont think he worth huge money. but at least try not too insult players with ridiculous contracts. geeeez ppl i wonder why free agents dont even ponder playing here anymore.

hughest4
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Seriously? This is just ridiculous. In the NFL its really all about guaranteed money because you can get cut at any time. To only offer him less then 2 mil over a 6 year contract is very insulting. We have plenty of money to give and why slash all the incentives that Grant's agent is proposing. If he is playing well why not pay him well?

servais77
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Well this stuff is getting nowhere fast....Grant and his agent called the Packer's offer insulting. Seems pretty consistent with everything else going on over there.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/27/agent-packers-offer-to-grant-quot-insulting-quot.aspx

OnWisconsin2007
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
So is TT just pocketing the extra 35 million we have this year? I mean, Grant's contract was just insulting. What a joke you are TT. I think he needs to realize that last year we barely won any games without a running game, even with Brett Favre! This team is going down the ****ter, and fast.

KngJones
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
BAH!!! I hate TT! Blame him for everything! GIVE GRANT LT MONEY FOR HIS SUCCESSFUL 8 GAMES!!!

How did Grant do in the Giants game? He hasn't earned ****. People hated on TT for not giving Walker his money and then Walker proceeded to self-destruct and ruin his career.

servais77
07-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Good thing it took the Packers 5 and a half months to get their ****** opening offer out there.

wwfd1220
07-27-2008, 07:22 PM
BAH!!! I hate TT! Blame him for everything! GIVE GRANT LT MONEY FOR HIS SUCCESSFUL 8 GAMES!!!

How did Grant do in the Giants game? He hasn't earned ****. People hated on TT for not giving Walker his money and then Walker proceeded to self-destruct and ruin his career.

who said anything about "l.t. money" alittle more in incentives . and alittle more than any rookie r.b. signed in the 3rd this year would be sufficient i think. and what other options do you propose for r.b. this year if grant does not play ?? just brandon jackson i would imagine

KngJones
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
who said anything about "l.t. money" alittle more in incentives . and alittle more than any rookie r.b. signed in the 3rd this year would be sufficient i think. and what other options do you propose for r.b. this year if grant does not play ?? just brandon jackson i would imagine

Ryan Grant is going to play for us this year regardless of whether or not his contract gets done because he's not stupid. Unlike in the Walker situation, no team out there is gonna give up a lot to get him or offer him the big contract he is after, so he knows he has to prove himself more if TT decides not to pony up. Holding out for a year would do him no good. In fact it would hurt him badly seeing as he's 26 or so and no team wants to touch an RB once he hits 30.

socalpkrbkr
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Ryan Grant is going to play for us this year regardless of whether or not his contract gets done because he's not stupid. Unlike in the Walker situation, no team out there is gonna give up a lot to get him or offer him the big contract he is after, so he knows he has to prove himself more if TT decides not to pony up. Holding out for a year would do him no good. In fact it would hurt him badly seeing as he's 26 or so and no team wants to touch an RB once he hits 30.

yeah well go tell that one to the Texans and Ahman Green

KngJones
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah well go tell that one to the Texans and Ahman Green
And how did that work out for them?

260 yards for him last year. DYNOMITE!!!

servais77
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM

This is nothing like Javon Walker's situation.

darwin31
07-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Of course Grant is going to play this year. What Thompson needs to realize is that if Grant is the real deal, he will be cheaper to extend now then if he plays another year with good production.

Any moron who plays Madden knows this.

Brooke
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM

where exactly was the Packers running game before they got him? They basically had nothing

no one he is saying he deserves LT type money but he deserves more than the pathedic offer they gave him

Ryan Diesel
07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I love the part that says if he does what he did last year he'll make less than a million bucks lol You would think the guy who has completely screwed up the Favre situation would at least try and make things right with this.

Brooke
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
^^ he keeps making stupid move after move

Ryan Diesel
07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
We had so many question marks going into last season. It just blows my mind that he's pissing on the two players that saved us from having a disastrous season and giving us one of the best in the history of the franchise. Without Favre's performance last year, we're a bad team. Without Grant emerging like he did, we might not have made the playoffs, or at least wouldn't have gotten very deep. It's mind bottling.

Brooke
07-27-2008, 08:29 PM
all he cares about is his precious draft picks, even if the other players are better. This isn't putting the team first

salsa
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
this mess just makes me want to ******* scream!!!

XJW18
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
wow
this off season has been extremely horrible!
hopefully the reg season turns out better!

newdude
07-28-2008, 01:18 AM
That's just wrong.

robdizzle3
07-28-2008, 05:44 AM
I dont kow why Grant feels "insulted" because he should understand that he need to prove a little more before someone gives him a long term deal.If I were GM I would make him report an earn his money fo a little over the first few weeks of the season but if th Pack are going to sign him long term then why not pony up the dough because its not like they are onna spend it anyways

hughest4
07-28-2008, 06:19 AM
I dont kow why Grant feels "insulted" because he should understand that he need to prove a little more before someone gives him a long term deal.If I were GM I would make him report an earn his money fo a little over the first few weeks of the season but if th Pack are going to sign him long term then why not pony up the dough because its not like they are onna spend it anyways

I'm pretty sure it was a 6 year deal that they offered him(could be wrong), so that obviously isnt the problem. I don't think he is asking for them to pay him like a star, but in the article it says they cut his incentives by 75%. I don't understand why they would do that. If he reaches the goals, why not pay him the big bucks..he would have earned it

SDteacher
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Grant needs to stopy crying. He couldn't beat out any of the F'n Giants was given a chance in Green Bay and did a pretty good job with it. Fact of the matter is you are still under contract and you need to play, if your play mid-season warrants a raise, then maybe it will happen ala Lee. There are probably twelve people getting Grant jerseys in the mail today, he's not that popular and this is just terrible timing. I love the guy and I would lov for him to be here for a while and be productive, that being said stop crying and saying you are insulted. You make too much money to complain about not getting yours. Sick of it.

Packerbacker
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Grant needs to stopy crying. He couldn't beat out any of the F'n Giants was given a chance in Green Bay and did a pretty good job with it. Fact of the matter is you are still under contract and you need to play, if your play mid-season warrants a raise, then maybe it will happen ala Lee. There are probably twelve people getting Grant jerseys in the mail today, he's not that popular and this is just terrible timing. I love the guy and I would lov for him to be here for a while and be productive, that being said stop crying and saying you are insulted. You make too much money to complain about not getting yours. Sick of it.

Actually in the games he played for us, he urinated on the Giants running backs. 956 yards in what 8 or 9 games?? and then over 200 in the playoffs??? How could TT not want to keep this guy happy, especially if he doesn't want Favre back he needs Grant to take some presure off of Rodgers. Like I've been saying since he got here, TT is a Testicle.

SDteacher
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Actually in the games he played for us, he urinated on the Giants running backs. 956 yards in what 8 or 9 games?? and then over 200 in the playoffs??? How could TT not want to keep this guy happy, especially if he doesn't want Favre back he needs Grant to take some presure off of Rodgers. Like I've been saying since he got here, TT is a Testicle.

I'm not questioning his productivity, I'm saying he got his chance and he did a good job with it. Remember Gado? Yeah, great thing we decided not to ink that guy to a multi year deal with lots of money. I think Grant is much better than Gado could ever be, but the idea of giving a guy more money who still has time left on his deal is crazy to me. I was happy to hear that they were going to give him more money but it's not like the Packers owe it to him. Like I said good job with taking advantage of your chance, just don't get too money hungry. All I'm saying.

Ryan Diesel
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
As a business decision, he can't go to camp without a new contract. His agent will never let him, and he'd be the worst agent in the world if he did. Grant makes absolutely nothing right now, like 200k at the most. If he gets hurt, he'll never get a dime. He can't go into camp without a new contract, thats just the way it works. Now with that being said, he's also not going to lock himself into a bad contract for the next 4-6 years. That guy has to do what is best for himself and his family, if he gets hurt in camp the Packers will cut him and he'll be installing countertops or bagging groceries the rest of his life.

Ryan Diesel
07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Isn't it great how our management has turned the fans against our two best players from last year. Great job guys. Way to handle both of these situations Ted.

SDteacher
07-28-2008, 02:00 PM
IF your implying I've been turned against Grant you're wrong. I'm all for Grant playing for us. I'm just saying that I don't like the way he feels "wronged" or whatever about this whole contract dispute. HE's STILL UNDER HIS ORIGINAL CONTRACT. Play it out, and if for some reason the team wants to re-up you before it's over and give you more money great, take it. IF it's not what you want keep playing hard and see if they offer you more later. If they don't become a free agent and sign somewhere else. Not against him or Favre, just don't like the way the players and or management in some cases have chosen to handl it, but that's only because I wouldn't have done it that way. Guess that's why I don't make the big bucks.

Jambox5000
07-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm not questioning his productivity, I'm saying he got his chance and he did a good job with it. Remember Gado? Yeah, great thing we decided not to ink that guy to a multi year deal with lots of money. I think Grant is much better than Gado could ever be, but the idea of giving a guy more money who still has time left on his deal is crazy to me. I was happy to hear that they were going to give him more money but it's not like the Packers owe it to him. Like I said good job with taking advantage of your chance, just don't get too money hungry. All I'm saying.

actually, all of you are mis informed. He has no years left on any contract because he is an exclusive rights FREE AGENT. Meaning he doesn't have enough years in the league to leave in FA to another team. He was offered the tender owed to a player of his status. He turned it down. It's not him or his agent keeping him out of camp. Its the NFL. It is illegal for any player to participate in training camp while not under contract, which he isn't. It's a case of a player who probably never thought he would come close to NFL starter money, and now sees a realistic shot at getting it. Hopefully the two sides can come to an agreement soon.

Ryan Diesel
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
He saved our *** last year, don't break the bank, his agent isn't asking for that. But don't insult the guy, just get him in camp and do it now. We may have very well destroyed our potent passing attack from last year, it would not be good to do that to our running game as well.

SDteacher
07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
actually, all of you are mis informed. He has no years left on any contract because he is an exclusive rights FREE AGENT. Meaning he doesn't have enough years in the league to leave in FA to another team. He was offered the tender owed to a player of his status. He turned it down. It's not him or his agent keeping him out of camp. Its the NFL. It is illegal for any player to participate in training camp while not under contract, which he isn't. It's a case of a player who probably never thought he would come close to NFL starter money, and now sees a realistic shot at getting it. Hopefully the two sides can come to an agreement soon.

thanks for setting it straigt, I was mis-informed. Regardless, he needs to be in camp.

robdizzle3
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
The Pack has a lot of money and we are being greedy with it and even though I think Grant doesnt deserve that much he deserves something

bone2905
07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Did any one catch donal driver on sport center they asked him what he would do if brett farve came to camp and he siad "The man is a legend and we would welcome him back instantly" it seems like the vets want him back al harris and barrnet both seem to give that same impression when asked about it. I swear if the pack do bad this year at some piont this season the team vets wil turn on managment and the coaches,good luck boys hope brett is their on the bench waiting 2 help u guys, what a joke this has become the all time wins leader as a QB a back up TT u idot

favreisright
07-28-2008, 10:29 PM
will you pay someone you cheap ****ing idiot, favre gone, cullens gone, and we are 984 billion under the cap!!!!!!!!!!

abraves90
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
if ted thompson doesn't lock grant up nobody can ever say he's great and rip on people for hating tt...he does stupid stuff at times and with all the money we have...just give him what he wants...tt doesn't spend his money anywhere anyways...what is he gonna use it on some great free agent? no
(dont give me that charles woodson bull ****...thats one guy, yeah hes great and i like him but one guy...with all the money we have...give me a break)

wissportsfan
07-29-2008, 01:51 AM
I think Grant not being signed irritates me the most. The guy should've been signed right after the draft if not sooner.

robdizzle3
07-29-2008, 05:16 AM
if ted thompson doesn't lock grant up nobody can ever say he's great and rip on people for hating tt...he does stupid stuff at times and with all the money we have...just give him what he wants...tt doesn't spend his money anywhere anyways...what is he gonna use it on some great free agent? no
(dont give me that charles woodson bull ****...thats one guy, yeah hes great and i like him but one guy...with all the money we have...give me a break)

Even the Woodson signing was a non risk situation because everyone expected CW to be bad or get hurt so when Woodson did great everyone praised him and if Wood wouldnt have played like he did people wuld have said well we expected this

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
will you pay someone you cheap ****ing idiot, favre gone, cullens gone, and we are 984 billion under the cap!!!!!!!!!!

That's your first post? C'mon man. I too, like a lot of you, would like to see Grant signed, but for the right amt. I don't know what TT's hold up is, with signing him, you'd think Grant and his agent went high then TT low-balled then they went to meet in the middle. Obviously that did not happen. Something's got to give.

newdude
07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
TT:"It's unique and ongoing" lol.

Why dont he just frontload the contract, since we're sitting on 35 million anyway.

meandering
07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Grant is looking for a deal similiar to the Hester contract......and sorry, I dont believe he should get that.

The fact we have so much under the cap doesnt neccessarily mean we should just blow it! The core of the money will be used to resign players we have.
I believe Grant is owed a decent contract.......I am not willing to just give him the key to the bank.

newdude
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Grant is looking for a deal similiar to the Hester contract......and sorry, I dont believe he should get that.

The fact we have so much under the cap doesnt neccessarily mean we should just blow it! The core of the money will be used to resign players we have.
I believe Grant is owed a decent contract.......I am not willing to just give him the key to the bank.

So he's not worth to sign? That's why I suggested a FRONTLOAD CONTRACT!!!!!! We really don't need to renegotiate with anyone else this year, so the money is just there.

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
So he's not worth to sign? That's why I suggested a FRONTLOAD CONTRACT!!!!!! We really don't need to renegotiate with anyone else this year, so the money is just there.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was what he was saying. I agree that he shouldn't get the money Hester got. That being said a frontloaded contract is not that bad of an idea. But...does he deserve that much money up front? Because I don't know if he does, he's good. But I'll say it again is he another Gado?

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
But I'll say it again is he another Gado?

Come on SD... anything is possible but that one...

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Come on SD... anything is possible but that one...

Yeah. But TT could be thinking along the lines of...I have three guys here at camp that can probably get it done, why do I want to put all this money into a guy who could be a one year guy. Now, I don't think that is the case with Grant but I was ready to go to bat for Morency Last year, and well that didn't turn out too well.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah. But TT could be thinking along the lines of...I have three guys here at camp that can probably get it done, why do I want to put all this money into a guy who could be a one year guy. Now, I don't think that is the case with Grant but I was ready to go to bat for Morency Last year, and well that didn't turn out too well.

He was hurt though so whatcha gonna do about that? We've got four guys, Herron, Morency, Jackson, Wynn.

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
That's true he was hurt. but he just didn't play how I thought he would once he was better. I was trying not to count Wynn. I don't know if that guy wants to play.

newdude
07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was what he was saying. I agree that he shouldn't get the money Hester got. That being said a frontloaded contract is not that bad of an idea. But...does he deserve that much money up front? Because I don't know if he does, he's good. But I'll say it again is he another Gado?

Gado and Grant are different, Grant produced way better numbers and results. Of course I agree that he shouldn't get a ridiculous amount, but we have so much cap just sitting there. Under 2 mil guaranteed for a contract that long is crazy, especially for short-span career rbs usually have.

These r contracts for the rookie rbs:
McFadden 6 years/60 million/26 million guaranteed

Felix Jones 5 years/ 10.5 million/7.6 million guaranteed/3.57 million signing bonus

Jonathan Stewart unsigned but slotting him puts him around 5 years/17 million/ 11 million guaranteed

And they haven't taken a snap, so they got more than what TT offered to Grant.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah hopefully Wynn decides to man up this season. I did hear that Jackson beefed up a bit. I thought that Herron was decent when he was healthy. I remember his fumble. Should be interesting to see who is still here come September 8th. How many backs do you think we will keep on the roster?

favreisright
07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
gado ran behind a better line and i still thought he was a joke, give grant some money, i am not saying a huge contract but a signing bonus of under 2 is a joke for a man that was a savior to this team last year. tt is just flexing his damn muscles again trying to say no one can dick with him. he is a wanna be parcells!

sieracki24
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Grant has got to realize that if he had played a full season or even waits until mid year next year, he is going to get his money! I hope they get him into camp because they can afford it, but come on man, you haven't really proved anything!

abraves90
07-29-2008, 05:02 PM
grant is nothing like gado...i couldn't tell you how teams let gado run all over them...but you could see it against the vikings when he had about 20 carries and 3 yards rushing or whatever it was i dont know exactly...that game alone told u how truly special gado was...as in not at all...grant never had a bad game and when he struggled he bounced right back ie the seahawks game...give him his money or we are going to be in some serious trouble next season

papipapsmanny
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
grant averaged 5.1 yards per carry, even if that was a fluke it would be dramtic to see it drop to 4.0 a carry, which is still good

he started 7 games had 8 TDs and almost a thousand yards

packers need to stop being stupid

salsa
07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Packers are just workin the business...but thats not what we need to do right now. We need to get ryan into camp.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Packers are just workin the business... but thats not what we need to do right now. We need to get ryan into camp.

Exactly, with all the attention pointed our way, now is not the time to be jerking this guy around.
:badidea:

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah it is definately in the Packs best interest to get him in camp. I think he could turn out to be something really special, but him missing camp like this is not going to help his cause. TT needs to just be fair, Grant does not strike me as the type of guy who's going to ask for the farm, maybe just a tractor or two. Sorry, that sucks but I'm fried after reading the latest Favre news.

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
PS. How many of you are going to go out and buy a Grant Jersey? I want a new jersey but can't decide which way to go. Grant: who knows...Rodgers:is he even going to be our qb and doese he sucK...Woodson:maybe two years left...Harris: own it....What to do what to do. I like my jerseys to be investments, 15 years out of a Favre=Good investment.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
PS. How many of you are going to go out and buy a Grant Jersey? I want a new jersey but can't decide which way to go. Grant: who knows...Rodgers:is he even going to be our qb and doese he sucK...Woodson:maybe two years left...Harris: own it....What to do what to do. I like my jerseys to be investments, 15 years out of a Favre=Good investment.

So you have the Adidas logo on that jersey? Custom made jerseys aren't so bad;)

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 08:44 PM
No, it's a Starter.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 08:53 PM
No, it's a Starter.

Oh yeah! Thinking back to my high school days everything was Starter. CO'93

15 years.... gulp.... damn:pity:

Yeah I had a fake for a while and then went for the real deal. Mine has the Nike logo

packertracker
07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
gado ran behind a better line and i still thought he was a joke, give grant some money, i am not saying a huge contract but a signing bonus of under 2 is a joke for a man that was a savior to this team last year. tt is just flexing his damn muscles again trying to say no one can dick with him. he is a wanna be parcells!

Yes agreed. No one remembers how bad the run blocking was this year. Grant had to pretty much create his own yards by getting past the second level where linemen don't have as big an impact. Watch the highlights on some of his big runs and you'll see how good he was this year.

curlylambeau
07-30-2008, 01:32 AM
You guys are blaming the wrong person for the absurdly low contract offer. Coming up with the terms for the deal is the job of Russ Ball not Ted Thompson. I am even going to attach a page from the Packers website about Russ Ball and his duties.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/ball_russ/

SDteacher
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
You guys are blaming the wrong person for the absurdly low contract offer. Coming up with the terms for the deal is the job of Russ Ball not Ted Thompson. I am even going to attach a page from the Packers website about Russ Ball and his duties.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/ball_russ/

Ball is in charge of managing, but TT is the one doing the negotiating.

salsa
07-31-2008, 02:30 AM
I cant sleep at night thinking that ryan grant hasnt signed a contract yet.

WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

packertracker
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Ball is in charge of managing, but TT is the one doing the negotiating.

no, it's russ ball doing the negotiating. for the most part, tt is out of the whole ryan grant situation. russ ball seems like he is trying to make a name for himself...

servais77
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
no, it's russ ball doing the negotiating. for the most part, tt is out of the whole ryan grant situation. russ ball seems like he is trying to make a name for himself...

Ultimately Teddy has to make the call on a signing not Russ Ball.

Why is Grant still not signed?

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 12:56 PM
We need to get him in camp...NOW!

themickster311
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
we def need to get him in camp. I'm not sure he deserved a huge long term deal just yet but the Packers need to step up and pay the guy like a starting RB, not a backup, and give him a good 1-2 year offer with incentives. Then if he continues to produce, give him the long term deal at the end of the year.

It seems pretty simple and if GB has to overpay him n give him
a ton to sign a one year offer they need to! GB has so much money under the cap, they are never able to sign free agents cause guys dont wanna live in GB, so the least TT can do is step up and at least spend some of that cap space on one of their own good young players! Were screwed if grant missed alot of camp or even worse if Brandon Jackson starts the season at RB again.

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Although even the most seemingly bitter contract impasses have a way of turning on a dime in the NFL, the word out of Green Bay is that the increasingly adversarial contract deadlock between the Packers and RB Ryan Grant just might last well into the summer. Such is the case in the wake of what Grant’s agent. Alan Herman, deemed an “insulting” contract proposal from the Packers that included a mere $1.75 million signing bonus on a six-year contract extension. “I can’t believe after 5˝ months … that we could get in a situation as unreasonable as this,” Herman recently told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “I’ve never seen anything like that in my 24 years in the business.” Herman went on to say that his client “was as mad as I’ve ever heard him. He’s really angry.” Before the Packers issued the proposal, Grant couldn’t have been more conciliatory regarding his situation, as he went out of his way to stay close to the team during OTAs and minicamps despite being unable to practice with the team. Now, however, we hear it’s quite possible that Grant may continue to harbor a sense of resentment toward the team, and that might not bode well for his long-term future in Green Bay.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Green+Bay/WWHI/2008/wwhi080108.htm

Where and the hell does Ryan Grant get off? We rescue him from the Giants scrap heap, he has 10 good games, and suddenly he thinks he's gods gift to earth? I'll admit, I think our offer was lower than I thought it would be, but my lord. Thankfully he's a RB, and his presense in camp is not nearly as important as some of the other positions.

servais77
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Green+Bay/WWHI/2008/wwhi080108.htm

Where and the hell does Ryan Grant get off? We rescue him from the Giants scrap heap, he has 10 good games, and suddenly he thinks he's gods gift to earth? I'll admit, I think our offer was lower than I thought it would be, but my lord. Thankfully he's a RB, and his presense in camp is not nearly as important as some of the other positions.

Where does Grant say he is God's gift to Earth? Just curious.

He wants a fair offer and it really doesn't pay for him to come in for the 375,000 qualifying offer. He would be better off showing up in week 10 and becoming a free agent after the season. No reason for him to bust his *** for 7 weeks at the qualifying offer only to get hurt and get **** next offseason.

Grant is doing what he has to do to get paid and the Packers are spinning Brandon Jackson as a competent NFL running back to scare him into camp.

Maybe they should have started this in February rather than July.

SDteacher
08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
This is not in Grants best interest. Grant deserves a contract much like the one Earnest Grahams from the Bucs. Both had very simmilar years productivity wise and rose to a starting position under similar situations. I'd like to see this done soon.

XJW18
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
"contract proposal from the Packers that included a mere $1.75 million signing bonus on a six-year contract extension."

atleast we know that they want him for the longhaul!

newdude
08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
"contract proposal from the Packers that included a mere $1.75 million signing bonus on a six-year contract extension."

atleast we know that they want him for the longhaul!

But it's insane with $1.75 mil guaranteed for 6 years though, bcuz rookies r making more than him and they haven't taken a single snap. And this contract will look more ridiculous in a few years with the way rookie contracts keep rising, if the cap stays that is.

OnWisconsin2007
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Exactly. TT is lowballing Grant.

SDteacher
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Why wouldn't he low ball him? Isn't that what you should do if your a business man?

newdude
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, it is, but not to a point of absurdity :D

wissportsfan
08-02-2008, 03:31 AM
40 mil over 6 years does seem a little to extreme for a guy that played a little more than half a season. Granted I think he's legit I don't think he's worth that yet. He has said he just wants to have a little insurance. Having the contract frontloaded wouldn't be that bad of a idea. I like the fact that he could get incentives. As of right now I think he's worth around 4-5 mil. If the contract is frontloaded then it could be more.

The bottom line though is that TT needs to get this deal done and soon before Grant misses to much time. I think it has already lasted to long it should've been done soon after the draft.

nosferatu
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
True this deal should be done already, but 40mil, what the hell is that? He has to show a little more than what he has to deserve what amounts to probowler money. As we all know running backs are one hit away from the end of their career and just ask the fat man in Seattle if he should have given Alexander all that money, but in his defense at least Alexander had just been named NFL MVP. Again I want him in camp because if BJack is looking as good as they say, he and Grant could be a great pair of backs for years to come and would really help in the growth of Rodgers.

packertracker
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
40 mil over 6 years does seem a little to extreme for a guy that played a little more than half a season. Granted I think he's legit I don't think he's worth that yet. He has said he just wants to have a little insurance. Having the contract frontloaded wouldn't be that bad of a idea. I like the fact that he could get incentives. As of right now I think he's worth around 4-5 mil. If the contract is frontloaded then it could be more.

The bottom line though is that TT needs to get this deal done and soon before Grant misses to much time. I think it has already lasted to long it should've been done soon after the draft.

40 mil over 6 years is the maximum he could possibly get, like if he rushed for 6 consecutive 2000 yard seasons. its a low guaranteed amount in the contract i think.

ANC
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779147

This is a pretty good summary of the whole thing.

Given, not all of the details are known (as GB does not offer those sort of contract specifics) but the deal seems pretty fair. Grant is looking for minimum base salaries with $3-4 Million in roster bonuses in the first couple of years. The 2010 season and beyond will be based on performance in '08 and '09. I mean, realistically, the Packers could opt not to pick up Grant's roster bonuses in each of the first 2 years if they feel as though he has underachieved (and the cap implication would not be as subsntial as if the money was loaded into his base salary).

I can see how the deal would be difficult to assess from GB's point of view since Grant's salaries in 2010-20?? hinge on predated performance levels - so how on earth can one incorporate or understand the potential cap implications in future seasons where the salary is not set? It is a tough call for GB, but given the incentive-ladden proposal by Grant's team, I think it makes sense. I also think, however, that GB could get Grant down to the $32-35 Million range with perhaps lower roster bonus money.

I know it sounds like a lot, but Grant is sticking his neck out here hoping that he stays healthy in order to pick up those roster and incentive bonuses, because they are the crux of his proposed contract. If he plays well, pay him. I think most people on this board agree Grant can and will play well once he is back in the lineup. If and when GB management gets their act together, this thing should be done soon.

hughest4
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Whoa, 6 years for 40 million seems like a ton of money and it is for a guy who only played half of a season. I read the article on it and they said the only way he sees all of that money is if he rushes for over 2000 yards in one of the next 2 seasons. I think he is a great running back but i doubt he gets that many yards in a season. If he is playing great football he is going to make a lot of money. If he doesn't play well then he doesn't get paid as much. That sounds about right to me

SDteacher
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, it is, but not to a point of absurdity :D

Absurdity? We dont even know what the first offer was? I mean there are reports but nobody is willing to say for sure because nobody knows what exactly the packers have ben offering. Grant is hurting himself and his agent is doing a poor job. This does not look good for Grant at all, I don't put any of this on the Packers. Especially if Herman, or whatever his name is, is now saying that this 40mill. offer is a counter offer. Stupid!!

newdude
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Absurdity? We dont even know what the first offer was? I mean there are reports but nobody is willing to say for sure because nobody knows what exactly the packers have ben offering. Grant is hurting himself and his agent is doing a poor job. This does not look good for Grant at all, I don't put any of this on the Packers. Especially if Herman, or whatever his name is, is now saying that this 40mill. offer is a counter offer. Stupid!!

First, is that "stupid" referred to me or Grant & agent?

Second, the absurdity is meant partly sarcastic, hence the smiley. And give me the benefit of the doubt due to the report coming out after I posted. Yes, the offer by Grant's agent for 40 mil in 6 years is pretty high, but take a step back and look at the other contracts in the NFL, especially the rookies which will put that contract to shame. So if the proposed performance package is toned down alittle, everyone will be happy.

Thatoneguy05
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Jay Glazer is reporting the the packers have agreed to a contract with Grant, official terms of the contract have not yet been disclosed.

http://nmsn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8406976

Brooke
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
apparently it is a 4 year contract up to $30 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516660

wwfd1220
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
contract seems to be incentive laden. which is good, glad to have this obsticle behind us finally.

XJW18
08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Yesssssss,
bout time!!!

SDteacher
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Yesssssss,
bout time!!!

This is a little more than I thought it would be. But I think it's fair. Good for Ryan.

RcrkllrH2
08-02-2008, 11:02 PM
very very very good news....we have our running back AND the contract is perfect!

it may sound like a lot, but its been said a lot that he only gets all that money if he does amazingly well...and if he does THAT well....then pay him as much as he deserves