PDA

View Full Version : Who Would You Draft?

Nwsports22
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
If you we're drafting for the Sonics, if we kept all of our picks who would you take with the Sonics six picks in this years draft? We own picks #4, #24, #32 #46, #50, and #56.

dirk206
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
# 4 pick- Jerryd Bayless (going with a PG with this pick)

#24 pick- Kosta Koufos (I want a big man here and Kosta I think could
develop into a real good player given time, plus he
isn't a huge project like the other 3 1st round big
men the Sonics got before, we've seen what Kosta
could do at Ohio State. If he's off the board, I'd go
with Robin Lopez, Serge Ibaka or JaVale McGee. I've
heard that JaVale McGee is good but I haven't seen
him play and I'm a little bias because i've seen
Kosta play. On NBADraft.net, it shows a interesting
comparison, best case scenario-he's Andrew Bynum,
worst case scenario-he's Patrick O' Bryant. That's
too much of a gamble to me).

#32 pick-Bill Walker (This pick is a wait and see because were right at the
point where guys who thought they were 1st rounders
fall to the 2nd round and we may get a steal here. I
also like a big man here who would be a bit of a
project, guys like Nathan Jawai, Alexis Ajinca or
Sermih Erden. All 3 of these guys I think would be
stashed in Europe for a few years. But I like Bill
Walker, he could backup Durant and would be nice
offense off the bench, a lot of people will shy away
from him due to is past injury.

#46 pick-Joey Dorsey (I can't help it, I have a weakness for undersized,
hard-nosed players like Dorsey. I think he'll bring
toughness to this team and could be a nice big off the
bench. Other guys I like here is DJ White and
L.R. Mbah a Moute.

#50 pick- Richard Hendrix (hell, don't know much about him but the Carlos
Boozer comparison has me intrigued. I also like
Anton Ponkrashov, what's not to like about a
6'7 PG.

#56 pick- JR Giddens (He's a nice hard-working SG, I'm not sure if he will
make the team, but he's worth a shot. I also like
Drew Neitzel as a possible 2nd or 3rd string PG. I'd
even contemplate drafting Derrick Low from WAZU
just for the hell of it, he'd be a nice fan-favorite but
a long-shot to make the team.

Nwsports22
06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
#4 Mayo/Bayless. If Kevin Love goes to Minnesota at #3 its going to be a really hard choice to pick from Mayo or Bayless. If Mayo is gone we have to go with Bayless.

#24 I'd like to get Koufos but i'm not sure if hes going to be there or not. If hes not there I'd grab Serge Ibaka. He has huge potential and I think hes going to turn into a very good player. I'm not sure if he'll be ready to play in the NBA next year or we could just keep him overseas for a year.

#32 I'd look at Omer Asik but I think he could slip into the late first to Boston, Detriot or Memphis. With Asik gone I'd draft Nathan Jawai, all of the videos and everything I've read about him seem like hes a good big man. He's looked like he's lost some weight and looks very good. He's compared with Charles Oakley, I just dont think we can pass up a big body that could play for us this upcoming season.

#46 Id go with a overseas guy here I'm not sure if Semith Erden is going to be there or not but if he is he would be a good player to stash over in Europe and let him develop. Hes one of not if the top prospect in Turkey.

#50 I'd like to get a SG I'm stuck between JR Giddens and Shan Foster. Giddens is a athletic freak, great shooter, great jumping ability, good defender, former McDonalds All-American. Foster was one of the best shooters in college, good defender, theres just something about him when I was watching throught the year that I like about his game.

#56 Im not sure if this pick would make the team but Id look at either James Gist, Othello Hunter,Darnell Jackson. Or some overseas player.

dirk206
06-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I just don't know what Kevin Love has done to warrant being projected as a top 5 pick. Maybe I've missed the comments from the pre-draft workouts, but in all reality, he's a 6'9 undersized PF. He has the post skills and strength to be good, but against bigger/stronger/faster 4's and 5's, i'm not sure it'll work or matter.

Nwsports22
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I read to today that he impressed Minnesota during this 90 minute workout yesterday. If they want him I'll be more then happy to see them pick him at #3 so we can have a shot at either Bayless or Mayo.

dirk206
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
That'd be a pretty hard decision to make

FWBrodie
06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I just don't know what Kevin Love has done to warrant being projected as a top 5 pick. Maybe I've missed the comments from the pre-draft workouts, but in all reality, he's a 6'9 undersized PF. He has the post skills and strength to be good, but against bigger/stronger/faster 4's and 5's, i'm not sure it'll work or matter.

How is undersized? He's 6'9", 255 lbs. You think because he isn't 6'10" he can't play power forward in the NBA. That's ********. Elton Brand is 6'8" and one of the best 4's in the league.

dirk206
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
It isn't just me, a lot of sites have him labeled as an undersized PF as a weakness. To name a few, David West and Antawn Jamison are some other undersized PF and they worked out fine. But he doesn't have the athleticism of a David West or the face up game of a Jamsion. I just think people are dictating his draft stock off of his breakout season at UCLA more then anything.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/kevinlove.html

kc5950
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Kevin Love is 6'7.75" without shoes, Brand was 6'8.25". However, Brand's 7'5.5" wingspan compared to Love 6'11.25" wingspan are what really have allowed Brand to play alot bigger than his actual height.

divisionbyzero0
06-19-2008, 01:27 PM
That'd be a pretty hard decision to make

I'd take Mayo over Bayless any day... he's a better all around shooter, but can also run the point well enough to make Kevin look even more amazing!!

FWBrodie
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
It isn't just me, a lot of sites have him labeled as an undersized PF as a weakness. To name a few, David West and Antawn Jamison are some other undersized PF and they worked out fine. But he doesn't have the athleticism of a David West or the face up game of a Jamsion. I just think people are dictating his draft stock off of his breakout season at UCLA more then anything.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/kevinlove.html

Breakout season? You mean only season? He was effective right out of the gate. Why wouldn't his draft stock be directly related to how he played?

FWBrodie
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
My first round guys are Russel Westbrook and JaVale McGee. Defense, athleticism, and great passing ability are all things the Sonics should be looking for and Westbrook is plus in all three categories. McGee has the tools to be a dominant NBA center, he'd be a great mid-to-late first round pickup.

dirk206
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Breakout season? You mean only season? He was effective right out of the gate. Why wouldn't his draft stock be directly related to how he played?

We'll because what you do in college doesn't directly translate to the NBA, hence JJ Reddick/Shelden Williams/Christian Laettner to name a few. By no means am I comparing Kevin Love to these players but I think it'll take him a little bit longer then it did in college for him to be effective. My perfect comparison to Kevin Love, Nick Collison of the Sonics. Averaged 18.5 PPG and 10 rebounds for Kansas his senior year, had good post moves, not all that athletic and he turned out to be a decent player at best.

dirk206
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
We'll ESPN is reporting that Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon & Brook Lopez is in the mix along with Jerryd Bayless for the Sonics #4 pick. Also the sonics are trying hard to move up to the #2 pick to get Beasley, good luck with that.
They also covered the 2nd round and had us picking up Kyle Weaver, that'd be sweet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080623

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-Round2-080623

Boozerguy47
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
From watching a little bit of Weaver over past two years he would be a quality guy to come off the bench. He is capable of putting up a good 10 points any game, and he is a good defender.

I just really hope we grab Beasley by moving up to the #2 slot.

Nwsports22
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
We'll ESPN is reporting that Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon & Brook Lopez is in the mix along with Jerryd Bayless for the Sonics #4 pick. Also the sonics are trying hard to move up to the #2 pick to get Beasley, good luck with that.
They also covered the 2nd round and had us picking up Kyle Weaver, that'd be sweet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080623

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-Round2-080623

#4 seems pretty high for Westbrook, Presti needs to pass on Gordon and Lopez. I'm not sold on Westbrook at 4.....

I'm not sure about the 2nd round mock though, taking 3 guards.... We probably wont end up having a couple of the pick. Goran Dragic at #46 could be a steal though.

dirk206
06-23-2008, 04:57 PM
^ESPN has said his stock in rising, some people have him in the top 5, so maybe Westbrook is a possibility. I know a lot of people don't like Eric Gordon, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Sonics drafted him. I know his handle is very suspect, but I think he could improve on that. If the sonics were to draft Brook Lopez, I'd shoot myself.

Boozerguy47
06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
^ Gordon was one of the players who was quoted saying he would prefer/liked OKC better... In that case, no thanks...

dirk206
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Ehh, I can deal with that, I like him as a player. Hell, he's probably never been to Seattle. It may change his mind.

Nwsports22
06-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Thats still not going to solve our PG problem if we pick him. Chalmers will be gone by 24 so we cant pick him, and if we pick Dragic I'm not sure if he can come in and start right away.

FWBrodie
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
#4 seems pretty high for Westbrook, Presti needs to pass on Gordon and Lopez. I'm not sold on Westbrook at 4.....

I'm not sure about the 2nd round mock though, taking 3 guards.... We probably wont end up having a couple of the pick. Goran Dragic at #46 could be a steal though.

Westbrook is a perfect fit for the Sonics. His skillset is exactly what they are lacking (DEFENSE, passing ability, and athleticism) at the PG position. He makes perfect sense.

Don't say #4 seems high like you're able to judge that. You can't let NBADraft.net create all of your opinions. If they were that able at judging talent, they'd be NBA scouts.

FWBrodie
06-23-2008, 11:46 PM
My perfect draft:

1st pick: Russell Westbrook
2nd pick: DeAndre Jordan or JaVale McGee
3rd pick: Kyle Weaver
4th Pick: JR Giddens

divisionbyzero0
06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
JaVale Fo SHURE!!!

Lol I love that kid hella

dirk206
06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Westbrook is a perfect fit for the Sonics. His skillset is exactly what they are lacking (DEFENSE, passing ability, and athleticism) at the PG position. He makes perfect sense.

Don't say #4 seems high like you're able to judge that. You can't let NBADraft.net create all of your opinions. If they were that able at judging talent, they'd be NBA scouts.

We'll both OJ Mayo & Jerryd Bayless possess athleticism and Defense so you can check that off your list. We know they both can score because they both led their teams in scoring. I still think they both could develop into adequate passers given time, it's not like their going to have Derrick Rose type pressure, where their going to be expected to lead their teams to the playoffs. If we get Russell Westbrook, I wouldn't be upset either but i just like the other 2 guys.

HOZ THE KNICK
06-24-2008, 06:34 PM
russel westbrook will be the truth he is a demon on the defensive end period

dirk206
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Some veteran GMs drafting later in the first round are scratching their heads at our last mock draft -- especially some of the high risers in the draft.

"Russell Westbrook is a role player who probably is a sixth man on a good team," one GM said. "How has he risen to a top-10 pick? I'd take Leandro Barbosa over him any day of the week. Westbrook is athletic, fast and plays defense, but a top-10 pick? I don't see it."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Draftnotes-080624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftnotes-080624

dirk206
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Seattle Times has us taking Jason Thompson out of Rider with the #24 pick. Anybody know much about him?

divisionbyzero0
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Tomorrow is gunna scare me....

Sitting at work, cant watch the draft, and I don't know wtf Presti has up his sleve and if its good or bad

Please not another Sene!!!

divisionbyzero0
06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Bayless!

Boozerguy47
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Tomorrow is gunna scare me....

Sitting at work, cant watch the draft, and I don't know wtf Presti has up his sleve and if its good or bad

Please not another Sene!!!

I'd rather see a Sene than a Robert Swift. That guy has more tats than career NBA points.

Nwsports22
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I think Thompson is really good, he played at a smalled school and didnt get as much hype. Hes a big sleeper in this draft and would be a steal at #24, I'm not sure if he'll be there though.

IndiansFan337
06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Proven players always > rookies.

Remember how many people thought "Corey Brewer would be one of the biggest impact rookies going into last season because of his defensive ability"? Well that sure didn't work out....So I agree that you need to take Barbosa over a rookie, unless it is someone that is almost a sure thing. And I wouldn't peg Westbrook as a sure thing at all.

Baller1
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd rather see a Sene than a Robert Swift. That guy has more tats than career NBA points.

:clap:
hahaah that was good

divisionbyzero0
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
:clap:
hahaah that was good

the kids been hurt most of his career, not really his fault huh??

plus I like the tats... I think I have more tattoos than his NBA career points as welL!!

friarfan07
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
he sucks, health issues aside. i hope i never see him again.

dirk206
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be too upset if Swift's spot went to DeVon Hardin. He'll actually play I think and actually contribute more. I still don't know why it's taken Swift this long to accept the offer, it's not like too many other teams have interest.

dirk206
07-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Does anybody know if AJ Graves from Butler was picked up by any team?

Nwsports22
07-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Does anybody know if AJ Graves from Butler was picked up by any team?

who cares

dirk206
07-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Geez, thank you for the response. Was just wondering, I'm so sick of talking bout the settlement and OKC. I just want to talk about the basketball aspect.

friarfan07
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
i doubt he did get picked up. he's way too short for a shooting guard and doesn't have the vision to play point.