PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't JD been hurt?

Towelie
06-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh, cause Coco can play everyday right now. I guess I was right so far.

sboyajian
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Because Ortiz told him if he missed a game he's beat him with his cast.

Tragedy
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I just don't think the Drew minor injuries were fake, to be honest.

Why would Francona bother making up injuries for Drew, throwing him under the bus for Boston fans, to get Crisp in the lineup?

I do know that the knock on Drew was that he was prone to injuries. Well, when was his last injury that was caused by something OTHER than a freak accident? You have to go back to 2003. Pretty exciting, if you ask me.

K2OB4E
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Nancy has almost earned the right to be called J.D.

Tragedy
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
If almost you bothered to take a look at my post and see when he was last injured on something that wasn't a freak accident.

sboyajian
06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I still personally like him.. I have a blank Jersey I've been waiting on to see who ends up on the back. My hopes were for it to be Drew.. it may be Ellsbury.

My problem is and only was that his little stories are silly. If the guy wants a day off.. fine.. say you want a day off. But when it's a different part of your body every week... I know you are full of it and just want a day off.

That's my only issue.. is that he just never came out and said he wants time off.

gcoll
06-12-2008, 10:50 PM
So, Towelie. Your theory is that Francona and JD Drew conspired to get Coco more playing time?

Maybe JD Drew is taking less days off because with Ortiz's injury...he's decided that it's time to sack up.

Maybe he doesn't want to take a day off, and risk breaking the rhythm he's currently in.

Maybe he just hasn't been hurt.

Towelie
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
No, but instead of him getting a day off for a little injury he gets 2 or 3 days off, that way Coco wouldn't complain and JD would be 100% no questions asked. Tito has said a couple times already this season when he was hurt "He could play tonight but we want to make sure he's healthy" and you know what ever since Ortiz got hurt and we can have 4 OF in the lineup he's played everyday so if what I am saying isn't true then damn it's pretty convenient.

ThreeIfBaerga
06-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Well I guess if you're searching for reasons to throw the poor guy under the bus even though he's currently carrying your favorite team to the best record in the AL you've got a point.

Or you can realize that both he and Tito knew that they had a competent major leaguer who would be starting on most teams (Coco) sitting on the bench, so when he wasn't 100% he could take a rest. Now that Ortiz' injury has forced Coco into a starting job full time, he's got to play through the injuries, and he's responded.

Jesus, the guy plays hurt and with a sick son and you pile on him. He takes some days off to get healthy to play his best and you trash him. He currently holds the second best OPS in the AL and you still find a reason to hate him. It's really quite childish. But no, lets ignore the fact that from June first of last year through the end of the year, he had the best OBP (408) and slug% (476) outside of any Red Sox player not named Ortiz or Ramirez. Let's ignore the fact that he has stepped up and filled in admirably for one of the top hitters in the major leagues because he needs some time off every once in a while.

Those DNP's he's piled up have obviously screwed the team, all they've been able to accomplish is a World Series Title (of which he was a major part of) and the second most wins in the majors in his second season with the team (of which he has also been a major part of, unless all 13 games he's missed completely outweigh his .992 OPS).

God I'm sick of people taking potshots at this guy because he needs a few more days off than the average right fielder.

Shaiza
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
JD Drew haters can go to hell. Honestly baerga is right. I swear to god people will find some antsy reason to hate on Drew. Well **** that. Drew has been one of my favorites ever since the day we signed him.

Towelie
06-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Just so you guys know I'm the biggest supporter here of JD.

PeteyDoesKarate
06-13-2008, 02:53 AM
I dont see what the big deal is. before Ortiz got hurt and Manny's hammy started acting up again they had the luxury of rotating their OFers so they could all get rest and stay fairly healthy. Now Drew has to play every day and he's been the best hitter on the team since Ortiz went down. Lay off the guy... he's finally playing like he is supposed to and I'm not going to complain at all!

lil'papi
06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
THE BANDWAGON is now FULL.

Go read the reasons people trashed him. Gee one hot streak and a couple of full weeks playing without begging off he has his wagon filled.

Nobody said he wasn't talented , yet , every time it turns to that point. He was missing games weekly for erroneous injuries. No conspiracy to get Coco more AB' s that's hogwash.

I imagine most of the JUMPERS here now , like Towelies, still thinks Colon sucks and should get traded. One bad game boom they go off like bottle rockets, next game he is really good..... they go silent.

JD has talent he also throughout his career (look at the numbers) has taken way too much time off for maladies that other players fight through! The saber metrics guys should be able to spot he hasn't been able to produce 500AB's season back to back.

Right now his numbers are sky high, lets give it a month if they are still, GREAT. If not this thread will reappear.....and we can discuss why.

RedSoxtober
06-13-2008, 08:13 AM
What a waste of time this thread is. I'd come down on the side of "convenience"... or rather that Drew knows that he can't come out because there's no one there to get his back.

If you can produce a link or two to comments from Francona where Francona wanted Drew out of the lineup for an extra day I would absolutely love to read it. I remember quotes from JD along those lines but not Francona. Tito's quotes were veiled references to Drew not playing with nagging injuries.

For a player's manager like Francona, who protects the players as much as he does, to publicly claim that Drew was out with another minor injury is just inconceivable. Francona knows full well what Drew's reputation is (fantastic tools but horribly injury prone, so much so that we've had Dodger fans lurking around since he was signed). He simply would not go public with an injury story. He'd fall on his sword and say that he thought Drew needed the break or (as he actually did say) that Coco needed some time on the field.

BTW, he's got three days to make my prediction come true. Hot streak notwithstanding, I'm betting he manages to ask for a day off by the end of Father's Day.

Baerga/Shaiza: The only complaint that anyone has had is that Drew misses games that other players wouldn't. He's fragile. His "detractors" here love his ability and have been backing him since he arrived but the notes from Epstein's mother are wearing thin.

Towlie: When does your book on conspiracy theories come out?

lil'papi
06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
^^ Exactly.

Career numbers not "one hot streak numbers". I WANT him to be good , but also consistent. BTW, if nobody caught wind of it, Drew makes 14mil. He is finally playing like it, for a two week stretch anyway.

Time will tell. We are hopeful ...but cynical.

The books title " pink hats conspiracy " ....catchy.

sboyajian
06-13-2008, 08:40 AM
I personally, for overall talent, think he's the second most talented person on the team.. I always have.. I was a huge supporter of him last year and blamed much of it on the stress of a new league/team and then finding out about his son.

I am still a HUGE supporter of him.. however I will no longer defend his time off. As I said, you got a guy like Mike Lowell who puts his body through just as much and only takes time off when he's on the DL.. (and it's not like we don't have someone who can't cover for him if he wanted some time off.. he just doesn't take it).

I'm fine if Drew decides his hammy is sore and needs a couple days off.. please take it, I don't want you to pull it and be out weeks.. we need you. But, he started this season off in terrific fashion, (expect missing the first couple games), until he got back into his time off groove.. 2 days here, 3 days there.. it became a habit again.

I don't know if his recent work ethic is due to no one being able to fill in (perhaps Moss).. or if he finally realized how it was looking. He is very very talented, he's showing it. But whether we pay him 3,000,000 a year or 12,000,000 a year.. he's here because we need him.. and that means we need him all the time.. not some of the time.

You people keep thinking we're throwing him under a bus.. no.. not by any means.. we all think he's an immense amount of talent that has the ability to not only carry this team but be the backbone of it. We'll stop criticizing when he can show us over a season, not a month, that he's willing to take that role.

If someone breaks my trust, they don't get it back in 3 weeks.. they get it back over a period of time. He's had a career of nickel and diming his time off, it's gonna take more than 3 weeks to prove he's stopped.

ERLynx
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
i love how well he is playing. not just because he is an integral part of the sox playing well right now despite the injuries, but also because he is an incredibly talented player. seriously, the guy keeps to himself, works hard and doesnt complain. how can you not like him?

cocossox
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
JD is the best hitter in the lineup right now wow way too much hate in this thread for Drew its not his fault his agent got him 14 million per...i say why should we care what he makes I say good for him wow give the guy a break.

sboyajian
06-14-2008, 01:03 AM
JD is the best hitter in the lineup right now wow way too much hate in this thread for Drew its not his fault his agent got him 14 million per...i say why should we care what he makes I say good for him wow give the guy a break.That is a wagon comment.. it's exactly what lil'papi was referring to.

Yes.. he is the best hitter in the lineup right now. He has been the best hitter in the lineup about 4 or 5 different occassions since he has been here. No one has ever disputed his talent.

He just needs to show us a full (or most) season of effort. If he can continue the way he is now, playing games and not asking for days off in the middle of a hot streak (say what you want, no one Tito benched him in the middle of a hot streak to give Coco playing time)..

Then we'll get him the warm fuzzies. We want to, it's not like we're holding them away.. we just want to see him earn them, based on ethic and not performance.

I don't care if you get 80 HR's in a season.. if you did it in the first 50 games and then sat out the last 112.. you're a chump and you honestly didn't help the team all that much. Drew is helping the team now.. We want to see him help the team all season.

lil'papi
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
OK, how many fell off the wagon after his ofer last night? Come on admit it..... :D

There isn't any HATE, plain and simple. I never take this personal and trust me it would have to be for hate to be involved.

I literally hate the yankees. I actually liked the late 90's version of them. Respected them is probably a better choice of word. :p
They played the game right back then. Now if they don't win they buy every player they can sink their money into. :rolleyes:

But, JD Drew , no hate..... more frustration.

I grew up playing sports. I played HS hoops with a broken left wrist....
I played my senior year in football after a fairly major knee surgery. Didn't miss a game or practice. I remember playing for the city championship in hoops with a sprained ankle , severely sprained. No pain killers....period.

So when I see a guy go soft , ouch. I know as FACT it's NOT the Boston way or Northeast way. Kevin McHale played with a broken foot, Bill Walton, Yaz......Bobby Orr etc..
Just tough as nails guys that would NEVER ask for a rest day.

Why, you are playing a kids game.
Unless you are on a death bed....suck it up you have all offseason to REST.

Stop with the he didn't ask for the money , if not , explain the leaving the dodgers scenario? $$$ Weren't the dodgers paying him? That's not the crux of the problem anyway.

I'm hoping we can get 75 cents on the dollar....like he is giving us now. Because we know he can....not because we think he can't..... ala Lugo.

what's so hard to not grasp here?

ThreeIfBaerga
06-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I'll tell you what's hard to grasp, as you're obviously not seeing it. They've had a more than competent backup this whole season until Papi went down. Therefore, they had the choice between playing a injured Drew, let's say 60% Drew and letting a Gold Glove caliber CF rot on the bench, or let Drew get to 100% and let said GG CF get some burn, as they have to do if they hope o get anything of value for him.

It's really a no-brainer here. If they had the same approach with Trot Nixon he might still be the 25-30 HR slugger he was turning into before all the injuries (maybe roids too).

Bottom line is, they needed to give Coco some burn, they know that Drew isn't the toughest guy in the world, so they got the best of both worlds. It's Tito's job to get everyone playing time, and he's done an admirable job at getting the best out of everyone.

cocossox
06-14-2008, 01:21 PM
That is a wagon comment.. it's exactly what lil'papi was referring to.

Yes.. he is the best hitter in the lineup right now. He has been the best hitter in the lineup about 4 or 5 different occassions since he has been here. No one has ever disputed his talent.

He just needs to show us a full (or most) season of effort. If he can continue the way he is now, playing games and not asking for days off in the middle of a hot streak (say what you want, no one Tito benched him in the middle of a hot streak to give Coco playing time)..

Then we'll get him the warm fuzzies. We want to, it's not like we're holding them away.. we just want to see him earn them, based on ethic and not performance.

I don't care if you get 80 HR's in a season.. if you did it in the first 50 games and then sat out the last 112.. you're a chump and you honestly didn't help the team all that much. Drew is helping the team now.. We want to see him help the team all season.I always thought Drew was a good pick up nothing ban wagon about it I've said it from day 1.

sboyajian
06-14-2008, 01:37 PM
The way you said it, it was read as saying "Why the hate, he is the best hitter right now".. like I'm supposed to forget all the times he let us down by not playing simply because he's had 3 hot weeks.

lil'papi
06-15-2008, 08:01 AM
I'll tell you what's hard to grasp, as you're obviously not seeing it. They've had a more than competent backup this whole season until Papi went down. Therefore, they had the choice between playing a injured Drew, let's say 60% Drew and letting a Gold Glove caliber CF rot on the bench, or let Drew get to 100% and let said GG CF get some burn, as they have to do if they hope o get anything of value for him.

It's really a no-brainer here. If they had the same approach with Trot Nixon he might still be the 25-30 HR slugger he was turning into before all the injuries (maybe roids too).

Bottom line is, they needed to give Coco some burn, they know that Drew isn't the toughest guy in the world, so they got the best of both worlds. It's Tito's job to get everyone playing time, and he's done an admirable job at getting the best out of everyone.

I know exactly what I've seen and read. I agree with a full team we can afford to rest Drew. Although not when he feels like it when the manager feels like it.

Tito has done a great job. :clap:

Where have they said they would trade Coco, show me where you read that? I read and heard Tito and Epstein say he was an integral part of the club. The fans and media want him gone , that doesn't mean squat.

Tito DID say something about it.I posted weeks ago. It's been brought up a bunch of times and people in here keep jumping on the" see he has talent" crap. Never was that the problem , never. Again it's been two weeks so lets see it play out before you start spouting stats.

You might have to recant in a week or so, hopefully not!

DREW came up with several ficticious injuries yet you keep saying he was just resting at the clubs request, thats utter nonsense! He had a back injury, a hammy, begged off during a hot streak, got repremanded by tito through the media, wrist injury etc......

Now he is playing because maybe he hates the cold/ guilt? who knows......we ARE glad he is hot. We HOPE he doesn't dissappoint , but my money wouldn't be on that!

This isn't about coco getting traded , never was or will be. They haven't said one word about shopping him either. If they have show me?

Just because you don't care for a player doesn't mean he gets traded no matter how many times you post it here. :p

I WANT JD TO KEEP IT UP. I HOPE HE CAN BECAUSE IT HELPS MY TEAM WIN.
I also hope Lugo does well, Coco does well, everyone we have , but when they don't they can take some heat!

Right now I'm pissed at my Pedy! He spouted off about an early contract and now he is at what .260? He is hard to knock because he is a gamer.

ThreeIfBaerga
06-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Where have they said they would trade Coco, show me where you read that? I read and heard Tito and Epstein say he was an integral part of the club. The fans and media want him gone , that doesn't mean squat.

Where were you this entire offseason? It was well known that Theo was shopping Coco but couldn't get an offer that's value outweighed Coco's value to the club.

That said, I've posted many many times that I believe he'll be around all season, because the way the team is currently constructed he's got too much value in a Red Sox uni. I do, however, believe that he will be moved next offseason, because the only FA CF is Mark Kotsay. However, if he doesn't get any burn, no one will give up anything of value for him because he still hasn't proven that he's a competent major league hitter. You misunderstood my last post, I mean that he needs burn to get trade value overall, not for this trade deadline.

Tito DID say something about it.I posted weeks ago. It's been brought up a bunch of times and people in here keep jumping on the" see he has talent" crap. Never was that the problem , never. Again it's been two weeks so lets see it play out before you start spouting stats.

You might have to recant in a week or so, hopefully not!

Ahh yes, let's go with kneejerk reactions instead of stats, that's usually the best way to do it. How dare I backup my ideas with hard evidence. Pfft, what am I thinking. And it's been more than two weeks, Drew started the season hot (remember that "How bawler has JD been so far?" thread?) then came down with these "fictitious injuries", is healthy again and playing every day, and look what's happening. You're also ignoring the stats I posted earlier in the thread that shows that he's been the third best hitter on this team since July of last year.

DREW came up with several ficticious injuries yet you keep saying he was just resting at the clubs request, thats utter nonsense! He had a back injury, a hammy, begged off during a hot streak, got repremanded by tito through the media, wrist injury etc......

I'd like to see how you know that he made up these injuries. I'd also like to see where I said that it was the club asking him to take days off. And lastly I'd like you to re-read the article where you say Tito called JD out, because he specifically said that he didn't mean Drew. He was calling out Ellsbury, who had been missing tons of games.

Now he is playing because maybe he hates the cold/ guilt? who knows......we ARE glad he is hot. We HOPE he doesn't dissappoint , but my money wouldn't be on that!

This post is just full of crap you made up isn't it?

This isn't about coco getting traded , never was or will be. They haven't said one word about shopping him either. If they have show me?

Just because you don't care for a player doesn't mean he gets traded no matter how many times you post it here. :p

Wow, again taking things I didn't say (I've supported Coco for a long time because I realize that his defense helps this team more than his bat hurts it) and making your entire post out of it.

I WANT JD TO KEEP IT UP. I HOPE HE CAN BECAUSE IT HELPS MY TEAM WIN.
I also hope Lugo does well, Coco does well, everyone we have , but when they don't they can take some heat!

But that's not what this is about. You're giving the guy heat when he's playing poor, playing well or not playing at all. Nothing he does is good enough for you.

Right now I'm pissed at my Pedy! He spouted off about an early contract and now he is at what .260? He is hard to knock because he is a gamer.

Ahh, Pedroia gets a pass because he's gritty. Maybe that's Drews problem, his jersey isn't dirty enough.

BTW, I read Magadan monkeyed with Pedroia's approach, wanted him to be a little more aggressive.

Towelie
06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
ThreeIfBaerga, lilpapi just flat out hates drew, no matter how level headed he says he is, and how he loves drew's production, he doesn't. He flat out doesn't like the guy. I on the other hand believe that a player, playing baseball wouldn't have a job @ 14 million a year if he was a cry baby who always gets hurt off of tiny little things.

Like, I have said a million times with a healthy Ortiz. What are your options for getting Coco playing time? Bench Jacoby? Not gonna happen he's a rookie and needs as much playing time for the playoffs(if we make it, I HOPE!) he's gotta be ready to go. Plus he's our leadoff guy and has 33 SB right now, something you really don't want to lose out of your lineup. Bench Manny? ya, lets bench our most powerful bat in the lineup, won't happen. Then you have Drew, who was hitting in the 7th spot at times, say Drew cools down something that will happen, he's gonna be good for 280 and 15 HR, something that is a good number but something that can be replaced in a lineup unlike Jacoby or Manny so yes if anyone sits it's gonna be Drew.

Also Papi, how often did Drew go down last year?

ThreeIfBaerga
06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree with your post to the extent that he's the obvious choice to take a rest with his minor injuries, but I think you're selling him short production-wise. He's an extremely talented guy, and the numbers he's putting up now aren't that far off his career numbers. He's capable of doing this over a full season.

RedSoxtober
06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Where were you this entire offseason? It was well known that Theo was shopping Coco but couldn't get an offer that's value outweighed Coco's value to the club.
You're either severely overstating the situation or you're overvaluing Coco's value as much as Epstein. Theo asked for three players every time Coco's name came up. It was not unlike when he asked the Angels for their top four prospects in return for Manny -- the value was vastly overstated in case anyone was stupid enough to bite. If the value had been honest, he would not have been down to 2 decent prospects during ST.

That said, I've posted many many times that I believe he'll be around all season, because the way the team is currently constructed he's got too much value in a Red Sox uni. I do, however, believe that he will be moved next offseason, because the only FA CF is Mark Kotsay. However, if he doesn't get any burn, no one will give up anything of value for him because he still hasn't proven that he's a competent major league hitter. You misunderstood my last post, I mean that he needs burn to get trade value overall, not for this trade deadline.

It made sense for the Sox to hold onto Coco as long as they were uncertain about Ellsbury. Jacoby has proven himself a viable every day player and Moss a suitable backup. At this point the Sox can make a deal whenever they want.

The FA market really has little to do with it. The market will help the Sox with Coco's value, but a team that needs a CF next year is just as likely to tie one up for two and a half seasons (assuming Coco's option is picked up) as they are for two seasons by trading during the Winter. If he's needed and he's an improvement over the current CF then the deal gets done.

Ahh yes, let's go with kneejerk reactions instead of stats, that's usually the best way to do it. How dare I backup my ideas with hard evidence. Pfft, what am I thinking. And it's been more than two weeks, Drew started the season hot (remember that "How bawler has JD been so far?" thread?) then came down with these "fictitious injuries", is healthy again and playing every day, and look what's happening. You're also ignoring the stats I posted earlier in the thread that shows that he's been the third best hitter on this team since July of last year.

Personally, I'd have to go find the stats you posted (I will). Stats can lie, however. I'm not suggesting that you're lying, only to say that if you're touting avg/obp/ops type stats, those are only good as long as he's on the field. The only criticism that Drew has gotten is that he's not on the field often enough. If he's not in the lineup then his .428obp doesn't mean squat.

But that's not what this is about. You're giving the guy heat when he's playing poor, playing well or not playing at all. Nothing he does is good enough for you.
You're guilty of not reading the posts if you believe this. Drew has only been criticized for his long standing history of minor injuries. As I'm sure you know, this history extends through his entire career. Those of us frustrated with it here were all rooting for him last year and suggesting that it'd take until the deadline this year before any evaluation should be made. That said, he's demonstrated the same pattern of requesting days of for minor injuries that he has everywhere else in his career. With the deadline approaching there is a lot of data to weigh and it's weighing against him.

BTW, if soft injuries are the problem, isn't it reasonable to criticize those regardless of whether or not he's playing well? You seem to have the grossly inaccurate view that the criticism is over Drew and his performance. If that were the case then you'd be right -- nothing can satisfy. However, the criticism is not of the performance, it's of not getting the performance and those 'injuries' occur whether he's playing well or not. To not see the same issues when he's playing well is bandwagonning at it's worst.

ThreeIfBaerga, lilpapi just flat out hates drew, no matter how level headed he says he is, and how he loves drew's production, he doesn't. He flat out doesn't like the guy. I on the other hand believe that a player, playing baseball wouldn't have a job @ 14 million a year if he was a cry baby who always gets hurt off of tiny little things.

Why the **** to you claim the right to answer for someone else? You don't have it. You have consistently and willfully ignored what other people have said. This act is wearing thin.

Yes, Drew could earn $14M as a talented cry baby, probably the same way you get girlfriends. They see some degree of 'talent' that they like and think they can 'fix' you, only to realize later that the problems other's pointed out were actual flaws.

lil'papi
06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I swear neither read the positive stuff I write about him.

Just keep trying to win a debate with cherry picked stats. Can I cherry pick some? I can make any player look great of god awful.

JD Drew is tearing it up , yes. I love it too. My question is simple let me try once more. Can he stay in the lineup and be productive the REST of the year.

You two say yes, along with a couple other wagoneers. I say the odds are slim.

It's not whether I like him. It's that he isn't trusted. He is like the kid caught stealing candy when he was 12 and from that point on you watch that kid closer.

JD has to earn the trust again. This is my personal feelings.....

You can't say they took Drew out of RF to put Coco in CF. But people keep saying it or insinuating it. Please once the season started they are rotating guys in to keep guys sharp.
JD missed opening day in Japan. He then missed time for a bunch of oddball injuries, of course nobody can prove it wrong.
I can prove he missed them and has a penchant for missing time. I can also cherry pick stats ...and make him out to be worth 14mil.
I WANT him to be good , consistent and I wrote his demeaner is an asset somehow you guys leave that out.

Tow-e-lies how old are you? You hate when others have opinions. Did you get cut from a BB team.

Baerga, trust me I like JD Drew when he is on the field. He has been awesome in June. He has a very nice approach to hitting and his fielding is also fine.

Let me get this straight, you guys think he will finish the year without any time on the DL or any asked for days off?

I'm just thinking about him stealing more candy.;)

Towelie
06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
4 RBI today, and still not hurt weird.

Snipeshow
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Why hasn't he been hurt?

Because he's been too busy hitting bombs :D

WilymoPena
06-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I've always loved Drew's game and now even the haters have to admit he's a top MLB player. Who knows what happened last year, all I know is he helped us win a world series and is lighting it up this year. Way to go JD

sboyajian
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
sigh.. eventually people will realize (either because they'll take the stupid out of their brains or they'll actually comprehend what we said)..

We do know he is talented. We are very very happy he's being ultra productive. We still don't like the BS injuries he kept coming up with. He hasn't been out for a while, and he's proving valuable. His trust is slowing gaining.. however he still has a ways to go before trust is back to established..

lil'papi
06-19-2008, 07:33 AM
I've always loved Drew's game and now even the haters have to admit he's a top MLB player. Who knows what happened last year, all I know is he helped us win a world series and is lighting it up this year. Way to go JD

Who are you talking you?

Why admit something when we agreed he is a talent. The reason he is hitting is quite simple he is playing daily! He is seeing the ball better because of it.

They go hand in hand ......

RedSoxtober
06-19-2008, 08:01 AM
4 RBI today, and still not hurt weird.

Only because Manny got hurt first.

PHILADELPHIA - Understand, J.D. Drew has never had a month like the one he's having now. But here's the real stunner: David Ortiz and Manny Ramírez have never had a full month in which they've slugged at the rate Drew is currently slugging. Neither, for that matter, has Nomar Garciaparra nor Mo Vaughn. For some historical perspective, Carl Yastrzemski didn't have a month statistically this good in his Triple Crown year of 1967.
more stories like this

Bear in mind, Drew could taper off, with 10 games left this month. But after going 0 for 4 in Tuesday's 3-0 win over the Phillies, he had four hits yesterday, including his ninth home run this month, a double, and two singles, to raise his batting average for the month to .441. It was the eighth four-hit game of his career.

Of his 26 hits this month, 18 have gone for extra bases, as he has also doubled seven times and hit two triples. That means nearly 70 percent of his hits (69.2) have gone for extra bases. His slugging percentage for the month is an astounding 1.085, the highest in the major leagues.

lil'papi
06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
He is playing out of his mind, which is great. We are getting good pitching and good BP work too. Most of which is being ignored.....

I'm actually happy for him.

On the other hand if he was consistent in playing daily we might see this more often albeit on a lesser scale. It all correlates.

Hopefully he can stay hot for another two weeks so we can get our big guns healthy ....

CyYoungPapelbon
06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure why Red Sox fans seem to single out Drew for taking off days to fully heal from relatively minor injuries in the regular season. It would be one thing if he did it in the playoffs or down the stretch in September while we are in a race for the playoffs, but he hasn't done that. The only games he missed last year that were meaningful were because he struggled badly against lefties last year and Sabathia is very tough on them- not because he needed a day off due to a minor injury.

He's far from the only Red Sox to get a day off when he could probably play if he had to yet he's the only one who gets crap for it. Manny is doing it right now, Youkilis is doing it right now, Ellsbury has done it at times this year. The list goes on a lot further than that over the past couple years, too.

It's pretty obvious that the Red Sox as a team don't go all out in the regular season and often get off days over minor injuries they are completely capable of playing through if it was necessary. It's not necessary though, as we are extremely likely to make the playoffs and we have the deepest team in baseball, allowing us to still win despite being without guys like Manny and Youk for a couple days, even with Ortiz already on the shelf for a while.

Far more important than JD Drew playing through all the minor injuries over the course of a season is that he hits like he is capable of (.900 OPS or so) this season, which he is doing (and then some, he's at 1.033 right now, 2nd in AL). And avoid long-term injuries, which he also has been good at over the past 5 years. What has he been on the DL for; once (a broken wrist on a HBP, not exactly something he could control either) in the past 5 years? He's not Cal Ripken Jr., but his recent health/durability has been pretty solid.

Shaiza
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
He's just seeing the ball real well right now. His swing has always been pure and now he's getting his act together this month. We really should be praising him for stepping up as a star instead of asking ourselves why he hasn't been hurt.

RedSoxtober
06-19-2008, 12:00 PM
He's far from the only Red Sox to get a day off when he could probably play if he had to yet he's the only one who gets crap for it. Manny is doing it right now, Youkilis is doing it right now, Ellsbury has done it at times this year. The list goes on a lot further than that over the past couple years, too.
Drew is the one who has been doing it consistently since he arrived. The difference between him and the others is that he has a long history of not playing when the med staff can't find anything wrong.

Manny has gotten a lot of grief here when he took significant time off (e.g., knee and oblique? issues). In fact, I was going to say something about him because I think you're right -- he doesn't get a pass. I'll at least claim consistency for myself.

I don't think Youk fits in the same category at all. He never misses games and has played with injuries (like when Manny went down with the knee thing and he refused to come out because he didn't want to leave a hole in the lineup). When Youk doesn't play due to an injury I believe he's actually hurt.

Ellsbury had not built up any reputation but got called out when he missed due to a minor injury. He hasn't missed any time since.

CyYoungPapelbon
06-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Oh, I think Youkilis is actually hurt as well. I just think it's a minor thing and he could play through it if it was warranted and one of the Heidi Watney/Francona interviews yesterday basically said as much but Francona wanted to give him one more game off since we've got the off day today.

With that said, it's not needed at all (and the Red Sox realize this) because it's the regular season and we all know that the Red Sox goals are a lot bigger than winning regular season games. We've also got a deep team and can plug in quality players like Sean Casey to fill in for Youk or a solid 4th outfielder like Coco for a couple days if a guy is a bit banged up.

Regarding Youkilis, I'd agree that he's actually one of the guys who plays through injuries almost all the time and I disagree with it. I love the idea of giving him a handful of days off due to minor/phantom injuries because I think his career struggles in the 2nd half are at least partially a case of wearing down and with a backup who is currently hitting over .370, why not use him?

I have a problem with guys sitting out important games in September or in the playoffs, but I think some extra rest during the regular season is beneficial for a team that often plays well into October. I know Beckett said he felt that trip to the DL last year really kept him fresh down the stretch and that he wouldn't mind a built in DL trip this season when he thinks the time is right.

cmoneytakemoney
06-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Hay I can remember times when Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz went on hot stretches over the past few seasons where they were absolutely crushing everything thrown at them but, J.D. Drew is as hot right now as I've ever seen a player in my entire life. Last year Drew would ground out to the second basemen every time he faced a lefty. Now he's taking lefties out of the park and spraying the ball all over the place. He was pulling the ball too much last year. If he can stay healthy I don't see a reason why this guy will start struggling at all. As of right now he could be the AL MVP.

bagwell368
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Fred Lynn and Roberto Clemente were other players that took time off for injuries that many thought were to avoid tough pitchers or mental health days. Not everyone is Ripken. If Drew plays 143 games a year instead of 158, and those days off help him actually perform better overall when he is in, I'm for it. As long as he is ready to go come playoff time.

sboyajian
06-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Fred Lynn and Roberto Clemente were other players that took time off for injuries that many thought were to avoid tough pitchers or mental health days. Not everyone is Ripken. If Drew plays 143 games a year instead of 158, and those days off help him actually perform better overall when he is in, I'm for it. As long as he is ready to go come playoff time.
I am too..

unfortunately in 11 seasons he's only reached 143 twice.

lil'papi
06-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Right now, he is turning heads.

I'm backing off. He hasn't been caught stealing candy for a while now. So my attention is going to be guys that are.... :D

Just look at facts. His first year was awful. He did get going late and that WS title took some heat off of him.

Then we start this year he goes AWOL first series.
I wasn't upset.
He then goes AWOL again for a hammy.
Still wasn't upset.
He then hurt his back.
I still was ok.
Then he hurt his wrist.
I was ok because we saw it happen.
Then he asked for a day off during a hot streak.
Now that's the one that jerked my chain.

When your team has 30 straight games to play -japan-west coast-back and forth and this guy decides he needed a day off.

Of course people get pissed!

Now he has a nice streak going and we have days off in between series he has been playing. All's good again.....I agree with the missing important games comments too.

We paid alot of money for him because he is talented , but his career up till Boston has been littered with days off. Rarily reaching 500AB's.....

If we get him to play 145 games.....GREAT. I am fine with guys taking days off that's what the bench is for. They all need to stay sharp.

I'm happy for him, he is on our team.

Just don't get caught stealing candy.

sboyajian
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Drew is not a high-maintenance player. Stick his name on the lineup card and he'll play. In the past, he's been accused of not wanting to play every day, but once he joined the Red Sox, Francona took that decision out of his hands by making him take days off, forcing him to rest so he doesn't risk injury and miss an extended period.

When Ortiz went down, Drew looked at the lineup card one day and saw his name third. He said Francona never told him. "I think he told y'all more than he told me," said Drew. "I'm just open to whatever. It's not my job to make the lineups."If this is why he has missed even half of the games this year, then I'll admit his trust level jumped with me.

It was pretty obvious I was a big defender of him last year and I tried early on, however it seemed like I was being proven wrong time and time again. If it's true Tito has had him sit (I still don't believe it was to give Coco playing time, so Towelie you may as well keep it to yourself), then I will relent and begin to move back to being the Drew supporter I was.

As I said, I still have a blank Jersey that's been looking for a name. I wanted it to be Drew last year and hoped the same this year. With more years to come, he may still get it.

RedSoxtober
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
If this is why he has missed even half of the games this year, then I'll admit his trust level jumped with me.

It was pretty obvious I was a big defender of him last year and I tried early on, however it seemed like I was being proven wrong time and time again. If it's true Tito has had him sit (I still don't believe it was to give Coco playing time, so Towelie you may as well keep it to yourself), then I will relent and begin to move back to being the Drew supporter I was.

As I said, I still have a blank Jersey that's been looking for a name. I wanted it to be Drew last year and hoped the same this year. With more years to come, he may still get it.

What's the source? I'd like to see it in context. I still remember Tito complaining about Drew during the transcontinental season-opening series. He mentioned how hard it was on him to fill out the lineup card not knowing whether he'd be ready to play -- which doesn't sound like it was his decision. Going through the exhibition games in LA Tito also mentioned frustration that he expected Drew to be playing but he wasn't.

This is pointless, though. Right now he's playing and playing well. I'm getting tired of seeing these "I told you so" threads every time something happens. Time to move on...

lil'papi
06-20-2008, 05:53 PM
AGREED^^

sboyajian , use your own name on that jersey! problem solved......

K2OB4E
06-20-2008, 06:40 PM
What's the source? I'd like to see it in context. I still remember Tito complaining about Drew during the transcontinental season-opening series. He mentioned how hard it was on him to fill out the lineup card not knowing whether he'd be ready to play -- which doesn't sound like it was his decision. Going through the exhibition games in LA Tito also mentioned frustration that he expected Drew to be playing but he wasn't.

This is pointless, though. Right now he's playing and playing well. I'm getting tired of seeing these "I told you so" threads every time something happens. Time to move on...

only if you would of listened when I told you.

;)

i am bob
06-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't hate a single person on the Sox roster and don't think i ever will. I always believe that they can pull through slumpsand what not. Some do, Some don't. J.D. Drew sure did :) hate it how when people hate on guy one second 2 weeks later they are in love with him :pity:

Tragedy
06-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't hate a single person on the Sox roster and don't think i ever will. I always believe that they can pull through slumpsand what not. Some do, Some don't. J.D. Drew sure did :) hate it how when people hate on guy one second 2 weeks later they are in love with him :pity:
So you were a Gagne fan?:speechless:

lil'papi
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
OUCH ...!! :D ^^

I'm sure there are few Gagne RedSox shirts available. Probably reasonably priced too. :D

RedSoxtober
06-23-2008, 03:28 PM
OUCH ...!! :D ^^

I'm sure there are few Gagne RedSox shirts available. Probably reasonably priced too. :D

Slightly smoke damaged...

lil'papi
06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Buried in concrete in NY. Now that would be a BAD omen.

acecrusher06
06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
maybe he's just realizing his potential

lil'papi
07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Figured now is the time to re-visit the Drew hasn't got injured yet thread.

July he is hitting .258.

Stiff neck , now the back. Both of course before off days, he needed the extra day. Maybe he can go on a tear again?

......potential such a fleeting thing.

Papi is the only guy to replace Papi. Nuff said......

To the *** that said I can't bash Pedy because he is a gamer where are you now? My Pedy is hitting about 15points higher than Drew now.....he was 64 points behind him in June! .260 vs .324 then - now: .313 vs .298 ...

The worm has turned.

Leads the league in games played, AB's and is in second in hits... (pedy)

This kid epitomes RS BB. 2: a typical or ideal example : embodiment
3: brief or miniature form........:D

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
cuz he is superman :superman:

i love the fact that we signed him...i wish we signed him three years ago from the cardinals like we were going to

Towelie
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Figured now is the time to re-visit the Drew hasn't got injured yet thread.

July he is hitting .258.

Stiff neck , now the back. Both of course before off days, he needed the extra day. Maybe he can go on a tear again?

......potential such a fleeting thing.

Papi is the only guy to replace Papi. Nuff said......

To the *** that said I can't bash Pedy because he is a gamer where are you now? My Pedy is hitting about 15points higher than Drew now.....he was 64 points behind him in June! .260 vs .324 then - now: .313 vs .298 ...

The worm has turned.

Leads the league in games played, AB's and is in second in hits... (pedy)

This kid epitomes RS BB. 2: a typical or ideal example : embodiment
3: brief or miniature form........:D

Did Pedroia get player of the month for June? Oh, thats right it was drew.

Like the guy didn't get a rest in forever and just needed a game or two off. Why not ***** about Manny? Who gives a **** what his AVG is, we all like Pedroia but right now he's out best player so to compare him to drew right now is down right stupid. Drew hit .337 when we needed him most, obviously I didn't hear anything good coming out of your mouth then, but now thats he's cooled off a bit here comes the *****ing.

Drew still has 4 RBI's in 8 games, while hitting .258 in June, it's only 8 games.

So he's gotten 2 games off this month cause he's had some back stiffness, who gives a ****. When he goes on the DL is when it matters.

So once again ***** now while it lasts and then when drew heats up you can pull the usual "I like the production, not the work ethic" instead of just admitting you don't like him on our team.

"My Pedy" It's so cute you have a baby name and call him "Mine", hope he know how gay you are for him.

lil'papi
07-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Did Pedroia get player of the month for June? Oh, thats right it was drew.

Nope sure didn't he only had two hot week in june not two and a half like Drew. BUT, Pedy has kept on hitting unlike drew. He has kept on playing too. Lets compare Lowell then.

Like the guy didn't get a rest in forever and just needed a game or two off. Why not ***** about Manny? Who gives a **** what his AVG is, we all like Pedroia but right now he's out best player so to compare him to drew right now is down right stupid. Drew hit .337 when we needed him most, obviously I didn't hear anything good coming out of your mouth then, but now thats he's cooled off a bit here comes the *****ing.

He had games off in between too. cough* cough * stiff neck .....just before a day off. Why are all his maladies just before a off day? He ISN'T consistent therefore he gets raked here, like it or not. He didn't carry squat what was our record over Drew's hot streak>?

I already smoked Manny in other threads. Gee, maybe your DREW shirt will sell on EBAY. It's value is dropping like crazy.

Drew still has 4 RBI's in 8 games, while hitting .258 in June, it's only 8 games. Last 30 days he is hitting .253? How is that carrying us? Lugo is hittng .270!! Go look at way Youk, Lowell, Casey and Pedy are hitting ! .365-.343-.419-.353 ......but Drew is carrying us.:rolleyes:

We are in July. :rolleyes: He would have played ten or 11 games IF he had balls. Nevermind lets add in the last 11 games of June.....he is hitting what .199? WHEW...carrying us??

So he's gotten 2 games off this month cause he's had some back stiffness, who gives a ****. When he goes on the DL is when it matters.

He had a game off for a stiff neck just before an off day. Now another game off before an OFF DAY. Try three games and two OFF days. Nobody else gets that? Manny played?

So once again ***** now while it lasts and then when drew heats up you can pull the usual "I like the production, not the work ethic" instead of just admitting you don't like him on our team.

Once again when Drew goes down with a new or made up injury Tow-e-lies comes in and makes it like he never takes days off. He carried us....for about a week he did. Lowell then carried us, then Pedy , then Youk. Drew hasn't carried squat. The whole time Ortiz was out Drew had a two week hot stretch...or two and a half? BIG DEAL, thanks JD. You filled your contract for a week. 16-11 for June. 21-16 in June into July....5 games over?

"My Pedy" It's so cute you have a baby name and call him "Mine", hope he know how gay you are for him.

Your just jealous you can't wear a DREW shirt and your pink hat around the town you live in without kids beating you down.

Pedy's nic came from Tito BTW....

Such animosity.
Pedroia's stats we were discussing with Drew. Sure ignore the real guys that are consistent and tell me JD carried us. I say BS. He had one nice stretch, to tease us.

We are playing .500 BB for a long stretch now.....maybe Drew can get us beyond the season high 17 games over when he heals from his latest setback. ;)

Potential such a fleeting thing.:p 34-24 ..till june 31....We gained 5 games over.

I'm starting to dislike him again. I get like that when guys don't perform including Tek, Beckett and whoever. Sorry your boy crush on Drew hasn't been smooth.

Towelie
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh, he just hit a HR btw.

Towelie
07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Such animosity.
Pedroia's stats we were discussing with Drew. Sure ignore the real guys that are consistent and tell me JD carried us. I say BS. He had one nice stretch, to tease us.

We are playing .500 BB for a long stretch now.....maybe Drew can get us beyond the season high 17 games over when he heals from his latest setback. ;)

Potential such a fleeting thing.:p 34-24 ..till june 31....We gained 5 games over.

I'm starting to dislike him again. I get like that when guys don't perform including Tek, Beckett and whoever. Sorry your boy crush on Drew hasn't been smooth.

A stretch? FOR A MONTH! he was by far the best hitter last month!

You talk about playing .500 ball an that Drews fault? Yours so unreal. Try blaming the bullpen, try blaming anyone else for a change.

Your a bandwagon guy instead of sticking it out when a player isn't playing as hot as he was.

He's not even 100% today but knows he's good enough to play today and then he cracked a opposite field HR.

Just stop hating a guy for no reason, Drew is a major reason we as a team aren't 6 or 7 games below .500 during the Ortiz streak.

TheLogical
07-13-2008, 01:14 AM

In my mind Nancy earned that right when he hit the GS in the 07 ALCS.

lil'papi
07-13-2008, 08:44 AM
A stretch? FOR A MONTH! he was by far the best hitter last month!

You talk about playing .500 ball an that Drews fault? Yours so unreal. Try blaming the bullpen, try blaming anyone else for a change.

Go read my posts mr butthurt. I was on Manny, Tek, Hansen, the BP.......
Your a bandwagon guy instead of sticking it out when a player isn't playing as hot as he was.

No I just knew the guy couldn't stay away from his ficticious injuries. It's common knowledge....I still root for him its just rare the last 30days he comes through?

He's not even 100% today but knows he's good enough to play today and then he cracked a opposite field HR.

4days rest.....big deal a SOLO shot. Manny had one too. Maybe now he can get something going.

Just stop hating a guy for no reason, Drew is a major reason we as a team aren't 6 or 7 games below .500 during the Ortiz streak.

REALLY, have you checked how our starting pitching has done? Go look on the MLB website.

He wasn't hot for a month go look! I already proved my point! Last 30days he is hitting . 253! This is July 13th....now go back 30 days and look.

Big deal he had one short productive hot streak then went ice cold. We need consistency. Period. Ortiz brings that thanks god he will be back.

Drew carried the offense for a 2-3 week stretch. The starting pitching was pretty consistent. He didn't pitch did he?

We are hoping he comes back form his latest INJURY and hits the cover off the ball. He should he has more rest than anyone. ;)

BTW, Manny played in 9 more games and 50 more AB's than Drew. All FACTS...

Bangwagon? I told you he will have more of these off day injuries, and trust me he will have a couple more. You are the banwagon guy wrote that post after he was HOT.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=bos&baseballScope=BOS&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeSubFrame=15&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

HERE: look at our pitching and tell me they aren't the REASON!
http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2008&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1&c_id=mlb&section1=null&statSet1=null&groupByTeam=true&statType=1&sortByStat=AVG&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2008&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&Submit=Submit&checkBoxTotal=0

lil'papi
07-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Why hasn't JD been hurt?

Nothing to do with how hot he got.

I posted he has now been hurt? That was the question right?

Towelie
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I bet you were watching like a hawk, just so you could finally say he missed a game. Took you a month.

sboyajian
07-13-2008, 08:40 PM
kill me....

for sure..

lil'papi
07-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I bet you were watching like a hawk, just so you could finally say he missed a game. Took you a month.

Cough-cough stiff neck........

Towelie
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Cough-cough player of the month.

sboyajian
07-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Cough-cough down in flames (http://i.treehugger.com/TH_hindenburgh_blast.jpg)

R. Johnson#3
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Why hasn't he gotten hurt? The answer is simple. Hell has frozen over.

Zaunnie
07-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Why hasn't he gotten hurt? The answer is simple. Hell has frozen over.

the cubs are in first place, so i guess you're right

lil'papi
07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Cough-cough player of the month.

The question was simple, you keep reiterating the obvious.

.......you wrote the question not me.

Why hasn't he been hurt? He has been .....he will keep doing these mini vacations too. Hopefully he can hit enough and produce well enough to justify it.

... two+ weeks he was a demon.....since then a dud.

Of which has nothing to do with him getting hurt. Admit the obvious the guy likes time off. Coco was actually twinged and Drew took some time off hence Bailey.

My guarantee is he will take at least two more mini vaca's before the seasons over, both of course before -off days-. Take the bet....
I'll buy a Drew shirt.....you can buy blue RedSox hat. :p

Boston-Born
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
The question was simple, you keep reiterating the obvious.

.......you wrote the question not me.

Why hasn't he been hurt? He has been .....he will keep doing these mini vacations too. Hopefully he can hit enough and produce well enough to justify it.

... two+ weeks he was a demon.....since then a dud.

Of which has nothing to do with him getting hurt. Admit the obvious the guy likes time off. Coco was actually twinged and Drew took some time off hence Bailey.

My guarantee is he will take at least two more mini vaca's before the seasons over, both of course before -off days-. Take the bet....
I'll buy a Drew shirt.....you can buy blue RedSox hat. :p

Ok, well you know what, I don't care if he takes mini vacation. All pitchers do it with blisters or tired shoulders, Manny does it every once in a while with his "hammy", so if Drew does it, yet makes the allstar team, I'm fine with that.

SportsFan1988
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice thread. :rolleyes:

He hasn't been hurt, but damn has he been good or what?...kinda miss him on the Cards... :cry:

Towelie
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sure lilpapi would give him away proving what a moron he really is.

Boston-Born
07-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Cough... All-Star MVP ...Cough

ZHawk1123
07-16-2008, 08:27 AM
All Star Game MVP baby...

LOVE ME SOME JD

BTownTeamsRKing
07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
JD DREW!!!!!!!

as far as imconcerned, that was a win for the Red Sox. JD has come a long way. i have been a huge critic of his, but he has made such a turnaround and having on the team is great.

All Star MVP, who woulda thought he'd get that wen the season started?

lil'papi
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm sure lilpapi would give him away proving what a moron he really is.

You asked if he was hurt, you're the MORON.

I NEVER said he couldn't play. Go write your book on life with the pink hats. How every guy on the team EXCEPT Drew is on your chit list.

I'm glad he won an award or could stay healthy enough to win one. He is THAT good.

Bangwagon. Same guys last year were writing how bad he sucks while I stuck up for him.

" By MIKE FITZPATRICK
NEW YORK (AP) -J.D. Drew always had All-Star talent. Now he has the award to prove it.

After waiting 11 seasons to play in a Midsummer Classic, the oft-injured Drew hit a tying homer in his first at-bat Tuesday night and took home MVP honors following a wild American League victory at Yankee Stadium.

The Red Sox outfielder also singled and finished 2-for-4 with a walk to help the AL beat the National Leaguers 4-3 in 15 innings.

"I've always had confidence in the ability," said Drew, signed by Boston before last season. "Just took me a little while to put it together last year, get some experience in the American League."

In a game that lasted 4 hours, 50 minutes, Drew was nearly asked to do more than hit. "

Towelie
07-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm never doubted his injured past, I understand this but I don't think he's a unjury prone player anymore. When is the last time he's been on the DL? Someone who is often injured should of been on the DL 3-5 times in the past 2 years JD hasn't been. He gets more days off then most and Boston has always had a reputation of being great with "injury prone" players.

Example Josh Beckett how good has he been since coming to Boston and how many blister problems? None!

JD Drew has been one of the best signings for Theo, and will continue to pay great for our team. But instead of relying on him and his production you choose to attack him for missing one or two games in a ****ing month instead of him single handedly dominating when Ortiz went down. He stepped up and pretty has been our best offensive player the first half.

But go on, keep *****ing about 2 games missed in a month.

Right now ESPN has him projected to play in 146, how can you complain if he's even close to those numbers?

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
this has certainly been a real feel good story for the sox this year, but lets not forget that it all started in game 6 of the ALCS against cleveland. from that grand slam off carmona to the historic month of june he had this year to winning the all-star game mvp last night, i think that fans everywhere, not just here, are finally catching a glimpse of the guy the cardinals thought they were getting when they drafted him back in the 90's. hopefully he keeps producing, playing steady defense, and more importantly, helping the sox in their quest to repeat. if it were not for hamilton, i would pencil in drew for AL comeback player of the year (before people jump down my throat i know that hamilton played in cincinnatti last year but i think that the year he is having warrants the award anyways).

lil'papi
07-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm never doubted his injured past, I understand this but I don't think he's a unjury prone player anymore. When is the last time he's been on the DL? Someone who is often injured should of been on the DL 3-5 times in the past 2 years JD hasn't been. He gets more days off then most and Boston has always had a reputation of being great with "injury prone" players.

Example Josh Beckett how good has he been since coming to Boston and how many blister problems? None!

JD Drew has been one of the best signings for Theo, and will continue to pay great for our team. But instead of relying on him and his production you choose to attack him for missing one or two games in a ****ing month instead of him single handedly dominating when Ortiz went down. He stepped up and pretty has been our best offensive player the first half.

But go on, keep *****ing about 2 games missed in a month.

Right now ESPN has him projected to play in 146, how can you complain if he's even close to those numbers?

I NEVER ATTACKED him. I answered your silly question.

Why hasn't he been hurt. The DL is for serious injury he hasn't had one, thats half the point. He plays 145 games gets his 500 AB's I'm VERY happy. As for being the best player in the first half that's debatable. Youk gets my vote. Then Pedroia and Lester........

I need to go back and read what you wrote last year about him! Now he has a decent season going , you call him one of the BEST signings please ? Right now he looks like a solid signing , last year he got paid and sucked. Next year who knows?

Talk about moronic. If he does this all year and the next two years he was a good signing nothing more. He is taking up a huge payroll chunk. You should expect .300 - 25- 100rbi.......

He is on my team and doing well for you to say I don't like it is absurd. You keep going back to posting his numbers when the question wasn't about that.

This year he annoys me when he takes days off other teammates don't get. Probably the coach in me.Maybe he needs them to stay healthy in his mind. Don't deny he takes them though? Lowell doesn't take them, Pedroia doesn't, Youk doesn't....Papelbon doesn't on and on.....

I know injuries are part of the game and rest days.
If he produces, I'm actually fine with it. Lately he hasn't been producing. Take his two-three week explosion out of the mix he has been avg.

.... when you take his season as a whole it looks good. He was hitting . 280 ish before the explosion and .253 since......
Hopefully he combines the good and bad when we need it this second half. ;)