PDA

View Full Version : Will the Phoenix Suns be a Legitimate Championship Contender next year?

JordansBulls
06-10-2008, 10:15 AM
The Suns have been an elite team since 2005 but they suffered disappointment this season by losing the 1st round. However they didn't get a good draw as they played their nemesis in the 1st round.

With that said, will Terry Porter's coaching and style make the Suns into an elite team once more? Will they be better than they have previously been the past few years?

Lineup more than likely
PG Nash/Barbosa
SG Bell
SF Hill (not sure if he stays)/Diaw
PF Amare
C Shaq

bostncelts34
06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
a contender? as in playoffs sure. but i dont think they will have a championship teams. La, NO are just gonna get better, then u have Sa and dallas and allthose teams.

i dont think this team can beat teams that are gonna be better next year, that they couldnt beat this year.

jayl1377
06-10-2008, 10:30 AM
not going to happen period

JordansBulls
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
a contender? as in playoffs sure. but i dont think they will have a championship teams. La, NO are just gonna get better, then u have Sa and dallas and allthose teams.

i dont think this team can beat teams that are gonna be better next year, that they couldnt beat this year.

I think a huge problem with Phoenix was the coaching. D'Antoni didn't make adjustments and wasn't defensive minded. Terry Porter doesn't seem to be that type of coach. I think next year honestly would be the last time they have to be legit contenders with the team they have in place.

Epic89
06-10-2008, 11:58 AM
They'll win at least 50 games, but I don't see them winning it all; I think their window has expired.

bostncelts34
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I think a huge problem with Phoenix was the coaching. D'Antoni didn't make adjustments and wasn't defensive minded. Terry Porter doesn't seem to be that type of coach. I think next year honestly would be the last time they have to be legit contenders with the team they have in place.

i agree completly. They should be better defensively under porter, but you add another year to nash,hill and shaq. And lookign at how competetive the west is..itd be real tough. But this is definitly there last legit chance. But even if they make it outta the tough west, they would have to face a good eastern team. boston,detroit,cleveland (barring trade).

carter15
06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
dont they also have the 15th pick or somewhere around there?..if they get a guy lik CDR or someone who can score off there bench...it cud rly help them

NoSense
06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I am going to disagree of course but I think the Suns can be a legitimate contender. A new coach with a new centerpiece it can work. I certainly believe so.

bidi_nash
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I think they can especially with their new defensivley minded coach to keep Shaq in the game

JordansBulls
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
dont they also have the 15th pick or somewhere around there?..if they get a guy lik CDR or someone who can score off there bench...it cud rly help them

Yes. Here is the draft order

http://www.nbadraft.net/

king4day
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Porter said he will focus on the Pick and Roll Defense.
I did pick the Suns but that could just be a Homer pick.
If they don't make any changes then we probably won't do much.
I think we're gonna make some type of deal to move up in the draft and I also think Porter will play the bench this year.
It'll be a completely different look at the very least.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
they are going to do wat the sameas they've done for the last few years... win a lot of games but lose in the playoffs

Redbull
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
It's always possible with the Suns but you will never know, Bringing in a new coach might spark these guys plus in the offseason they might add a couple of players that can play some defense.

NoSense
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
they are going to do wat the sameas they've done for the last few years... win a lot of games but lose in the playoffs

They did so because the coach was not willing to introduce flexibility and try new things, I think that Porter will make a difference...

thesparky33
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Like in Dallas, this team is gonna depend on Steve Nash, and how effective he'll be. He's getting old, and although he is still a top PG in the league, any day now, he could just drop off considerably...

Fireworld
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
the window has closed.

Cracka2HI!
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I think the Suns will either be championship contenders or terrible. They'll either win 60 or 30 IMO. If they start going bad Shaq will quit on them and then what do they really have?

JordansBulls
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I think the Suns will either be championship contenders or terrible. They'll either win 60 or 30 IMO. If they start going bad Shaq will quit on them and then what do they really have?

Wow that is kinda extreme don't you think?

Spurred1
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
No in betweens? I can't see how they would become that horrible. I'm not saying they'll win it all next year, but they'll be in the running. A lot depends on Nash-are the Suns working on grooming his replacement? That should be their priority above all else. As he goes, the Suns go.

Jayg1712
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I would have to say its going to be questionable for making the playoffs. Shaq and Nash are ageing, and i think everyone can tell. Although they are both still elite players with the new coach i think its going to take some time to adjust, and hes still offensive minded, so the difference between him and Mike isn't in that category.

superkegger
06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I expect them to be better next year than last. They'll be at least a bit more defensive minded, I think they'll find a way to better integrate shaq as well as expand their bench. I fully expect them to be up there in the west yet again.

tom chambers
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
suns

nomoretears
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
The Suns were never tough defensively and lost leads too many times. Mike D'Antoni likes the run and gun system and it was showing that it didn't work. But I think they will revamp their system to become more defensive oriented and lose players that won't work under that system. Plus we'll see if Shaq has anything left to be affective.

I think they have as good as shot at the championship as Dallas, San Antonio, New Orleans and Houston does, but it will depend on whether the Lakers continue to dominate. The Suns collapsed when playoffs came.

willie84
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Keep Nash and give Shaq a record deal and hope he retires. Get yourself another center or forward...or maybe a guard and they might go all the way. They should of kept Marion.

fabian11593
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
They'll win at least 50 games, but I don't see them winning it all; I think their window has expired.

tHEY ASLO NEED TO GET A LITTLE YOUNGER. SHAQ, NASH, HILL, (EXAMPLES)

Jayg1712
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
They should try to go for T.J. Ford to back up Nash, he would be excellent off the bench and hes quick for the uptempo paise the Suns have.

cahawk
06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
The Suns will be one of the powers.
But if you want to know who will win next years NBA title, just ask Stern.

narekolo
06-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Just like these past couple of years theyll prolly win around 50-55 games next season in the regular season and get knocked off in the playoffs before reaching the finals...most likely second round, or evven first round...they cant beat LAkes, NO, SA, HOU, UTa

XJW18
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
dont 4 get bout Portland, Golden state, houston and maybe even Denver.
theres allot of talent in the west

JordansBulls
06-15-2008, 12:14 AM
It would be nice to see a Shaq vs Kobe matchup in the playoffs next year.

avsman05
06-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Shaqs to old Nash is a great passer but he cant do it by himself they will still probably make the playoffs but as an 8 seed and have an early round exit.

Dirty Dirk41
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
of course they are title contenders..shaq isnt in his prime but hes a presence..The west is getting better but ANYTHING can happen in the NBA. another year for Amare, Nash is still of the best Pgs in the game. they have the draft. Not sure if theyll make any moves but theyll be there

Vegasguy80
06-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I don't think so. I think they hired the completely wrong coach to make that team win. I guess we will see. They have the talent but may need to aquire a bit more.

innovator
06-15-2008, 02:11 AM
amare stoudemire will be a MVP contender this year as he average 27ppg/11ppg/2bpg next season

KiLLA RAiDER
06-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Not with shaq in da middle of dat team! dey have all da talent but wont win nuthen wit Shaq!

arlubas
06-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I highly doubt it to be honest. Shaq is clearly way past his prime and Nash had his first non MVP like season last year imo which isn't to say of course that he wasn't still brilliant but it shows a sign of a drop off which could well extend next year.

Further more, Hill is also on the decline, Diaw is inconsistent as hell still, Amare won't become a great defender over one offseason and Barbosa will always be a guy that will want to shoot the ball everytime he gets it regardless of the circumstances.

What I'm trying to say with this isn't that the Suns won't be good. They will be and they will get to the POs. But as far as being actual contenders I don't think they can have that momentum anymore.

dodie53
06-15-2008, 07:01 AM
i think if it's better for the suns to be under the radar,
in recent years,
they are thought as the next champs.

coming next season,
many think their window has expired,
maybe that will further motivate the suns' players into playing their full potential

KeNtUcKyGrEeN
06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
No they wont be simple as that! I say Hornets, LA, and jazz will be the only 3 who could make it to the finals!

SwaggaIke
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Phoenix is done. Mark my words. Nash is so terrible on defense its ridiculous. People talk about Terry Porter bringing a defensive mindset, so what? They still can't play defense. Nash is a horrible defender. Tony Parker abused him like i've seen no other point guard abused since the Payton/Billups finals matchup. The Suns have NO championship poise and Amare is turning into Garnett offensively. All he wants to do is shoot jumpers. I don't really see Phoenix making any significant noise in the West. Another 50 win season w/ nothing to show for it in the end. The West is too deep.

ashy84
06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't think they will be.
They won't be as much fun to watch either.

Mallpha
06-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Its very depenadnt on how will all the veterans plays will they find some common language on court. This year after Shaq trade there were signs this team can be really good but they lacked something.

This team got loads of potential you may say they are old and all but if Porter can put all the pices together Suns may suprise a lot of people.

Spencesc11
06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
If they can get some time to gel they could be scary. Shaq and Amare are easily the best big duo if Shaq is healthy. Nash's minutes need to be kept down so the key to this team is probably Barbosa. If he can run this team effectively off the bench they could be very solid. Still would put them behind the Lakers, Hornets, and Spurs though.

LakeShow
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
IMO, they are going to have a problem with identity. Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa all want to run. Whereas Raja Bell and Shaquille O'Neal would prefer a half-court game. Terry Porter has to give this team some sense of identity.

NoSense
06-16-2008, 05:38 AM
IMO, they are going to have a problem with identity. Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa all want to run. Whereas Raja Bell and Shaquille O'Neal would prefer a half-court game. Terry Porter has to give this team some sense of identity.

I def agree there might be a difference of identity. But I think Nash is slowly realizing that he has to slow down the offense so that the whole team can be effective. Now, will the Suns listen to Nash who's old or STAT who is considered by the Suns FO to be an untouchable?

JordansBulls
06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
If Phoenix ends up moving Diaw or Barbosa the firepower they have off of the bench then I am not sure they will be good enough with Nash and Shaq being older and Grant Hill barring he returns.

But it is quite obvious the Suns need someone at the SF spot over Grant Hill at this point.

Iron24th
06-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Phx a contender next year? No.Their window is over.

JordansBulls
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Mentioned the same thing in the Dallas thread, but Phoenix can also benefit by pursuing Vince Carter.

Seems like since the Nets would like to have some cap relief with them trading away Jefferson now and even listening to a deal from Cleveland about Wally.

Why not just trade Raja Bell and Grant Hill for Vince Carter since both (Bell and Hill will expire the year New Jersey wants the salary relief in 2010)?

That would give the Suns a lineup of:

PG Nash/Barbosa/Strawberry
SG Carter/Giricek
SF Diaw/Piatkowski/Tucker
PF Amare/Marks
C Shaq/Skinner

That would change the team to be more a threat both inside-outside.

LakeShow
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Mentioned the same thing in the Dallas thread, but Phoenix can also benefit by pursuing Vince Carter.

Seems like since the Nets would like to have some cap relief with them trading away Jefferson now and even listening to a deal from Cleveland about Wally.

Why not just trade Raja Bell and Grant Hill for Vince Carter since both (Bell and Hill will expire the year New Jersey wants the salary relief in 2010)?

That would give the Suns a lineup of:

PG Nash/Barbosa/Strawberry
SG Carter/Giricek
SF Diaw/Piatkowski/Tucker
PF Amare/Marks
C Shaq/Skinner

That would change the team to be more a threat both inside-outside.
I think they're trying to make the team more defensive minded. Trading away their best perimeter defender for a virtual turnstyle would go against this principle. Plus, think about the amount of foul trouble Shaquille O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire will end up with Steve Nash and Carter letting everyone go by them.

*Superman*
06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Unless they make a major trade, no. The west is just to good right now.

TorontoRaptors4
06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree with you i think next season will be the suns final chance of trying to win there first ever championship you know steve nash hes getting old and if the suns never had him then they wouldnt be that good anymore cause steve nash he makes plays happen with his tremendous passes his great passes and he leads the teamm all the way with those passes and he makes his teamates better with his playmaking passes.

Spurred1
06-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree with you i think next season will be the suns final chance of trying to win there first ever championship you know steve nash hes getting old and if the suns never had him then they wouldnt be that good anymore cause steve nash he makes plays happen with his tremendous passes his great passes and he leads the teamm all the way with those passes and he makes his teamates better with his playmaking passes.
Are you trying to say that Steve Nash is a good passer? (Sorry-could not resist)

T.O-Fan
06-28-2008, 06:37 PM
phoenix suns are top 3 or 4 team in west..if they can get homecourt advantage in west they could possibly go to the finals if not then i dont see them going there but they are for sure legitimate championship contenders

dre1990
06-28-2008, 06:49 PM
they should rebuild around amare but until then no they wont be contenders

Tom81
06-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes

KmB728
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
If some people considered the Heat contenders in their thread, then why not?

the west is a toss up right now

futureman
06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
They will be legitimate lottery contenders. New coaches on a vetran nba team NEVER NEVER NEVER improves them. In fact it has disasterous results. They will be passed up by portland this year.

JordansBulls
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I think they're trying to make the team more defensive minded. Trading away their best perimeter defender for a virtual turnstyle would go against this principle. Plus, think about the amount of foul trouble Shaquille O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire will end up with Steve Nash and Carter letting everyone go by them.

Hmmm, I wonder how good they would be if Maggette went to them?

Do they have much money to get him?

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
The team is getting up there in age (Shaq, Nash). And they may get rid of their sparkplug, Barbosa. So I'm gonna have to say no in the West.

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Are you trying to say that Steve Nash is a good passer? (Sorry-could not resist)

Lmao.

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
The Suns have been an elite team since 2005 but they suffered disappointment this season by losing the 1st round. However they didn't get a good draw as they played their nemesis in the 1st round.

With that said, will Terry Porter's coaching and style make the Suns into an elite team once more? Will they be better than they have previously been the past few years?

Lineup more than likely
PG Nash/Barbosa
SG Bell
SF Hill (not sure if he stays)/Diaw
PF Amare
C Shaq

there all over the hill:smoking:

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM

thats called anal conssumption!:smoking:

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
they wont make the playoffs!

HouRealCoach
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
If Amare steps up and be the leader like Wade did then they will

....and make this trade:

B-Jax, Battier, and Head for Barbosa & Bell

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
No, I don't see them being a legit threat unless they add some depth to their roster, they need a better, younger small forward like Josh Smith. Also, Nash and Shaq are getting up there age wise. They may win 50 games, but I don't see them as an elite Western Conference team.

Beno7500
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
No way

they will be like 7 0r 8 seed

juggla53
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
i think their in the second teir behind LA, NO and SA. They have to much talent not to be contenders but their are deffinatley teams in better position to take it all IMO

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 06:18 PM

STAT32
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
They'll make the playoffs anywhere from 5 to 8th seed. Don't see them taking it all though.

TheBatchelor213
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Celtics Vs Suns NBA Finals

That prediction coming from a huge Clippers fan.

I just think Suns get it together. This is a long ways away though. . . . .

JordansBulls
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Care to explain why?

OaklandsFinest
07-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I think the suns will be lucky to make the playoffs next year. Steve Nash another year older, shaq another year older. Bell another lack luster season, Stoudemire will be solid, so will Grant Hill off the bench. I think they should have traded Nash before the draft and tried to snag a pg and a pick. With Lakers, Spurs (especially with Maggette), Hornets, Mavs, Jazz, Blazzers, Clippers, Rockets, Nuggets all better, let alone if the Warriors continue to progress. The Suns should be content with aplayoff berth.

Leftcoast_yg
07-07-2008, 10:07 PM
i voted no shaq and nash are old and need some time to learn to play with each other, especially in the west they are not, maybe if they were in the east:D

THE MTL
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
They will not be a championship contender next year. Suns will discover how bad the Shaq trade was and realize that Pat Riley raped yet another team in a trade lol.

They'll make the playoffs though.

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
No

STAT32
07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
They will not be a championship contender next year. Suns will discover how bad the Shaq trade was and realize that Pat Riley raped yet another team in a trade lol.

They'll make the playoffs though.

How was the Shaq trade a bad trade by any means? Think about it, Shaq averaged 12 pts and 10 reb and provided the post defense we so desperately needed. The reason we lost in the Playoffs is because of one reason and one reason only, Mike D'antoni. The guy has no idea how to run a proper rotation, he ran Steve Nash, Grant Hill, and Raja Bell into the ground. He has an absolutely horrid decision making abilitly (ala. not fouling Duncan or Finley at the end of regulation and overtime in game 1) He runs some of the weirdest matchups i've ever seen. EX. Nash on Parker, Bell on Finley, Grant on Bowen!!!! He refuses to run cross matchups. Hell, I even saw Stoudemire guarding Duncan a few times while Shaq was guarding Oberto.... Not to mention D'antoni had absolutely no idea how to use Shaq in an offensive scheme. He had Shaq playing out on the perimeter instead of the low block.

Mike D'antoni is the reason we lost. Shaq did exactly what he was supposed to do, provide good post defense and rebounding. He did just that. Not to mention, Marion didn't even want to be here anymore.

dre1990
07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
they will get da 6th seed if their lucky. im betting 8th seed