PDA

View Full Version : Is MSU basketball elite?

mkool65
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I was having this argument with some of my buddies not too long ago. I am a huge Michigan State fan and believe that they are an elite team (IMO elite means top 8-10 in the nation) I guess I am only talking about how long I have been watching which has been about 10 years.

Here are some figures since Tom Izzo got there 13 years ago;
-NCAA National Championship,
-four regular-season Big Ten Championships,
-two Big Ten Tournament titles,
-four Final Four appearances,
-a Big Ten-best 11 straight NCAA Tournament appearances.

So what do you think are the Spartans an elite basketball school?

metsfreak
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Elite in the Big 10

Top 20 program in the nation

Devils05
06-09-2008, 12:59 AM
We're not at the Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky status but I'd say we're in the next tier.

arlubas
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't say elite but they certainly are a top25 team in the nation year in and year out. They're one of the best schools for sure but elite is the UNC/Duke/Kansas class imo and they aren't up on that level just yet.

Pujolsfan91
06-14-2008, 11:24 PM
We aren't elite just yet, but if we can pickup some great recruiting classes and advance far into the tournament, then we will be considered elite.

Wake's Fastball
06-15-2008, 01:36 AM
I think nowadays they're considered to be a top-tier program. Their lack of a deep history kind of hurts them a bit.

KeNtUcKyGrEeN
06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
If you mean elite like Kentucky, North C, UCLA, Kansas, than no you arent. And who ever said Duke give me a break they arent elite and never were. One game made their program somewhat meaningful and that was the Uk buzzer beater!

SwaggaIke
06-15-2008, 11:07 AM
^I kind of have to agree. I don't really consider Duke to be elite anymore. UNC, Kansas, UCLA are elite programs. Duke flops too much these days. MSU isn't an elite program, but it is a power program.

IndiansFan337
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
We're not at the Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky status but I'd say we're in the next tier.

Yes, you probably lead that next tier. With the way KY has been the past 5-8 years, you may be on par with them now, actually.

C-Van
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Who all would be on that next tier?

Arizona, MSU, Syracuse, UConn...

Those are just off the top of my head, who else?

mkool65
06-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Who all would be on that next tier?

Arizona, MSU, Syracuse, UConn...

Those are just off the top of my head, who else?

MSU has to be above Syracuse and Arizona over the last 5 years or so.

KeNtUcKyGrEeN
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
indiansfan837, Give it a rest its still kentucky dont hate on the best tradition in college basketball history!

C-Van
06-20-2008, 11:33 PM
indiansfan837, Give it a rest its still kentucky dont hate on the best tradition in college basketball history!

I don't believe he ever said anything bad about UCLA...

sanfranfan1210
06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
not elite but certainly top 25

SidTheKid
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
If you mean elite like Kentucky, North C, UCLA, Kansas, than no you arent. And who ever said Duke give me a break they arent elite and never were. One game made their program somewhat meaningful and that was the Uk buzzer beater!

I'm pretty sure 3 National Championships, 2 being back to back and numerous ACC Championships made their program meaningful.

spartanbear
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I agree with the other assessments.

We've been too inconsistent in recent history to be mentioned in the elite conversation. We've got a good program with a great coach and a lot of solid players but we're not in that "ELITE" class and I doubt we every will be.

Izzo doesn't get the Beasleys or Hansbroughs (or UNC's national championship squad) of the world or anyone like that he recruits "his guys" and they play "his style of ball" and it works. State is solid, legitimate and always in the college basketball discussion but ELITE we ain't. Personally I like it that way though I couldn't deal with Dick Vitale over hyping us every year.

Top 25 ain't bad though.

IndiansFan337
07-16-2008, 01:19 AM

No one's hating. Kentucky hasn't been good in a long while though. There's no denying that.

Louisville has actually been better within the past 10 years!! :speechless: