PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been said before...

bballguy869
06-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I know it's been said before, but could this actually be the turning point for the Tigers? I know they only won two games in a row, but they have struggled to the extreme against division opponents and a couple wins in division is a great place to build confidence. Losing Bonderman aside, the starting pitching has been solid for a couple weeks now, is replacement in Gallaraga will be more than adequate, and the bullpen (although not good yet) has been less embarrasing as of late. The offense is starting to FINALLY show some upside with Guillen on a hitting streak, Maggs continuing to hit, Polanco just got out of his slump, and Miggy finally hitting the ball hard instead of these lofty fly balls to center, etc.
Thoughts?

Epic89
06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Every time they've taken a step forward, they've responded by taking two steps backwards. That's been the season thus far.

They have looked impressive recently though, aside from the useless Zach Miner trying to lose us the game today.

From here until the end of July will make or break their season; nothing but interleague play and divisional opponents. They win more series than they lose, go on some kind of stretch where they win like 16 of 20, and they'll be right back in it. Games aren't gonna win themselves though, so they have to keep it up.

SticklerOfRules
06-09-2008, 05:10 AM
The turning point for the series will hopefully be now with inter-league play coming up as the Tigers got blessed with an extremely easy schedule for it. I mean SF, SD, LA, St Louis. If they can't win these series its going to be a long season. Opps almost forgot COL!!

hoog
06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I still don't see how they can get back in this but to even make it a respectable season they need to get Palonco and Cabrerra back on track. In my mind these two are the keys. Palonco sets up the bases and Cabrerra should be the one clearing them. With Granderson not getting on base and the loss of Sheff these two have become even more important. Unless these two get going we'll continue to, as Epic89 says, take two steps back.

bballguy869
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Well I agree about Polanco and Cabrera, that's kind of why I brought it up. Although it was only for two games, I think the last two games were the only two games all season that Cabrera seemed to look like he did when he layed for the Marlins. So, if the most important bat on the team steps it up at the same time as the starting pitching...
Willis is starting tonight too... I'm a little nervous but if he does a good job and the offense keeps up the positives then I think there just may be some hope for the upcoming inter-league (what should be)cakewalk and potentially the season.

Bondomania
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
welp, there goes that theory... willis gave up 8 in 2 innings of work, failing to command any of his pitches

blinkfn91
06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
The Tigers really blow. Sorry guys, I thought they'd be good but your pitching is awful and your team is too old. This is the same team as the 2007White Sox.

Bondomania
06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
screw the white sox! you're team is still fairly old.. just be thankful your team is in a weak *** division, cause if you are in the east or west then you guys are barely .500

tbrown76
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I love my tigers and this season is at times laughable. I think this series with chicago is my make or break point. If they can win this series Ill give them a chance, but if they lose the series and especially get swept I think they may be done. Their pitching is just too inconsistent, and their offense just will not click. I really wish they would just start firing on all cylinders:)

bballguy869
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I would just like to point out that since I started this thread the Tigers have been 16-4 :)

Bring on the division race, it should be an interesting one at least.

JMDTM
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
tigers 18-4 in last 22 games on a 6 game win streak. Tigers are showing up now. Theres no doubting it. But what they have to do is keep doing throughout the rest of the year.

JMDTM
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
looking at our schedule i see we go from seattle to Cleveland and then the Twins again. If we could win these series then that would be a great thing to carry over to the second half.

JMDTM
07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
and all you other fans can leave this forum cause its not your team. What the point f***ing idiots!

Epic89
07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Don't get excited. False alarm to say the least; they feasted on the senior circuit and now they're just gonna start getting owned again. What a bunch of ****in' losers. I'm done with emotional investment in sports; this team broke my heart

MSK55
07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
They won't keep playing like this for long. Granted, they probably won't go back to winning six straight series', but maybe they'll find the middle ground.

There were many opportunities in both of the last two games to put runs up on the board that they usually would've taken advantage of. I remember two Polanco at bats with RISP where he didn't get the job done; we know his track record, we know that won't keep happening. It's also a good sign that even though they're losing, Cabrera is really heating up.

It's a little early to get all emotional about it. We've seen what the Tigers can do when they're playing like the Tigers. They'll get Magglio back in not too long, maybe add a starter at the deadline, and viola. Right back in it.

Bondomania
07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
That loss yesterday definitly hurt, however, good news is that they aren't getting blown out. They are close games, that if we get a bounce here or a bounce there, we win the game. Also keep in mind, that seattle has been heating up since the owners and interim-GM fired the manager. I think we just need to find a way to split this series, come home .500 and then take care of business leading up to the A.S. break, like winning both against the tribe who haven't been good at all, and then i think even if we split against minnesota i would be happy, that would take us to two games over .500 at the all star game, and not a lot of people even thought we would battle back to that. Then we will get maggs back, then i think that you will see us make a move either during the all star break or leading up to the deadline to get another arm. I really want Burnett and i think we could get him for a reasonable price, especially if we ship out Renteria and let Santiago play SS, which i am completely fine with. Santiago has range to spare, and plays phenominal defense. I would be fine with him only hitting .240 - .260 because he does the small things like bunt people up, and sacrifices himself to get people into to scoring position. I do think that we need to make a move though soon, because right now, we have 3 reliable starters, the other two are HUGE question marks

Epic89
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
11-21 against the Central Division. They call that "epic fail" where I come from

MSK55
07-07-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm completely with Bondo here.

But if you're going to be too grim about it, here's how I keep my cool with all sports: unless you're playing, you can't do anything. There is absolutely no point in dwelling over any team from any league unless you are a member of that team. All you can do is be a good fan and stand by your guys. Calling your team "a bunch of ****ing losers"? Not a great start.

Cavs_Fan24
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
i hope this is the turning point, i cant stand watching the Tigeres lose every other game, especially at the beggining of the season which was a HUGE disappointment, but i really hope the Tigers begin to turn it around and make a playoff run in Sep.