PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Millwood

dkbraves
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Supposedly "The Braves have taken a long and hard look at Rangers' starter Kevin Millwood as a possible trade target, according to Jayson Stark."

bigmj
06-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Was a Millwood fan when he was here last, and maybe a little of the lustre is left, but not sure how much.
But he might be a better option as far as eating innings than Jojo and Campillo. We need someone to take us into the 7th inning.

jmtapia
06-06-2008, 06:22 PM
ONly if he was very very very cheap....not impressed with him at all...only plus is that he would eat innings but thats about all.

nps6724
06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
He'd have to come cheap. He's 33 and he's only had 1 really good season. He's had only 1 bad start this year (3 inning, 7 runs) and 1 he left I guess due to injury (he only pitched 0.2 innings, 0 runs), but besides those he's averaged 6.1 innings per start and he's given up 20 ER and 22 total runs in those starts. I would take him quickly if the asking price isn't too high.

Bravesman11
06-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd be a little cautious with Milwood. He seems like an injury liability. Let's let him make a few more starts to be sure. Besides, the price will go down the closer we get to the deadline.

jmtapia
06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Just in Sydney Ponson was released by the Rangers. The reason being was that he got into arguments with some of his Ranger team mtes. Not sure if this would shy the Braves away but id be glad to take a look at him. He has been pitching good and eating innings.

Ponson....4-1 3.88 ERA in 55 IP.....furthermore i like his splits aswell. At HOME: 4.40 ERA....Away: 3.00 ERA.

Wren could really get a good one here and i hope hes already made a call.

Saltyfan
06-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Ponson had never worked out anywhere. Hope we dont waste our time.
Millwood for the right price could be a gem waiting to happen.

jmtapia
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Ponson had never worked out anywhere. Hope we dont waste our time.
Millwood for the right price could be a gem waiting to happen.

Dude are you series???? Millwood a gem? Were talking about a guy that has a 4.65 ERA and 1.58 WHIP.

Home: 4.65 ERA .256 BA
Away: 4.30 ERA .350 BA

Im not saying Ponson would be a GEM but at least we could try to get him for peanuts...while with Millwood we would have to eat a chunk of his $10,000,000 salary.

With Panson its a high reward and low risk.

CrippledRam
06-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Millwood-Part of 10,000,000 (plus we're stuck with him through 2011) + one/two good prospects = 4.65 ERA, 1.58 WHIP
Ponson- League minimum + One bad prospect = 3.88 era, 1.56 WHIP.

Very easy choice for me.

JerseyBrave
06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
pitching isn't our problem it is clutch hitting, we have none and acosta sucks.

jmtapia
06-07-2008, 04:03 AM
^^^Pitching is a problem bc our SP only go 5.5 Inning per game. That a huge problem The only reason why we even have a winning record is because of our Middle Relief who has picked up our SP staff to the tone of a MLB best 2.71 ERA.

WE need an Inning Eating SP who can post an ERA around 3.8-4.3

Obviously our offense could be cluth but offense has only been an issue on the road for the most part.

INFECTED
06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I am sure Teixeira would be realy happy about the Braves bringing over Ranger rejects.... yep,, that will make him want to stay!

BlazinVentura
06-07-2008, 11:44 AM
No interest on my part whatsoever! Greinke or even Morton are better options....

robdizzle3
06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I would love to get Millwood but if he is only here to get innings then we maight as well go for the younger Blanton but if we can get Millwood for cheaper we can go get a Jason Bay or a Griffey Jr to give our outfield a bat and maybe Brian Giles.After watching that piece on Maddux,Glavine and Smoltz on Fox earlier I wouldnt mind to see Maddux back in a Braves Uni

Jon93405
11-22-2008, 02:56 AM
The Braves, Dodgers and Mets are believed to be among teams that have inquired about Rangers starting pitchers Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla. Both pitchers provide viable, reasonably cost-effective options in case those teams strike out on the free-agent market. Each has one year remaining on his current contract.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/25801

Both are under affordable contracts: Millwood $11MM, Padilla $12 MM

At first I was disgusted at the idea, but then I looked into them a little more.

I was surprised to see Padilla won 14 games with a 4.74 ERA. Millwood had a 5.07 ERA. Both have been pitching in Arlington the last few seasons which is one of the worst pitchers ballparks in baseball.

Padilla is a 4 time 14 game winner and Millwood has done it 5 times, winning 18 twice... both for us. Getting one of them wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for an innings eater in the back of the rotation who might benefit from a change of scenery. There's no reason they shouldn't do any worse than an upper 4's ERA but either could shave 1.00 off easily leaving Texas.

We've benefited before. John Thompson went 13-14 with a 4.85 ERA for Texas before the Braves signed him and he went 14-8 with a 3.72 ERA. Something like that would make a nice 3 or 4 starter. Anyone remember John Burkett?

Chan Ho Park was one of the best pitchers in baseball before signing with Texas, then he was absolutely terrible every year he was there. Last season in LA he posted a 3.40 ERA in 90 innings of relief for the Dodgers.

The Braves need to make some leaps of faith and hope they all work out. One of these guys could end up paying great dividends without much cost. If the Braves miss out on the big free agents, one or both of these guys would at least be work horses for the rotation.

bravesrule
11-22-2008, 04:28 AM
I would like to sign players long term as I don't think the Braves will contend in 09. But if we get and Ace, and a good LF, we might need a guy like Padilla or Millwood to see if we could hang with the Phillies and Mets.

Chipper
11-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I could see a Jo Jo, BJ, and Lillibridge trade coming for Millwood, and the Rangers eat majority sal.

Jo Jo is a bust and Lilli hasn't done anything much. He's not fit to start this year so why do we need him?

littleknighty
11-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Padilla would make more sense because hes signed for one year with an option. If he comes off the books next year we will have a little money to help resign chipper and Gonzo and infante. His 11m or so plus sorianos 6.1mil and the money we spend on smoltz hampton and glavine gives us alittle next year when we know a little more about where heyward and freeman and the rest of the young arms will be in 2010. I cant beleive it but I would really like this move.

jdiddy24
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Padilla would make more sense because hes signed for one year with an option. If he comes off the books next year we will have a little money to help resign chipper and Gonzo and infante. His 11m or so plus sorianos 6.1mil and the money we spend on smoltz hampton and glavine gives us alittle next year when we know a little more about where heyward and freeman and the rest of the young arms will be in 2010. I cant beleive it but I would really like this move.

I agree fully... if he is worht the money we can pick up the option... if not we cut our losses and have roughly $20M coming off the books between Padilla and Soriano and then we could sign an ace long term next offseason and resign Chipper, Huddy, and Gonzo long term.

rtgthree
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I like Millwood. Ignore the ugly ERAs from the last two seasons...his BABIPs have been sky-high, largely the result of a Texas defense that ranked dead last in the majors in defensive efficiency last year. His homers should come down away from Arlington as well. He's consistent, having thrown 165 innings or more in nine out of the last eleven seasons (he missed in '01 and '04). Get him out of Texas, and he could be a solid midrotation guy once again. An interesting option.

As for Padilla, run and hide. FIP numbers over five each of the past two years, with a career 4.45 figure. That screams fifth starter, and we can do better than an $11 million #5 guy, who also tends to get hurt a lot.

I think Millwood will come cheap, and be undervalued courtesy of his 5+ ERAs the last couple years, but I think he still has some gas left in the tank, and would certainly be a better acquisition than, say, Jon Garland or Oliver Perez.

jdiddy24
11-23-2008, 01:09 AM
I like Millwood. Ignore the ugly ERAs from the last two seasons...his BABIPs have been sky-high, largely the result of a Texas defense that ranked dead last in the majors in defensive efficiency last year. His homers should come down away from Arlington as well. He's consistent, having thrown 165 innings or more in nine out of the last eleven seasons (he missed in '01 and '04). Get him out of Texas, and he could be a solid midrotation guy once again. An interesting option.

As for Padilla, run and hide. FIP numbers over five each of the past two years, with a career 4.45 figure. That screams fifth starter, and we can do better than an $11 million #5 guy, who also tends to get hurt a lot.

I think Millwood will come cheap, and be undervalued courtesy of his 5+ ERAs the last couple years, but I think he still has some gas left in the tank, and would certainly be a better acquisition than, say, Jon Garland or Oliver Perez.

i agree with what you say but the reason i like Oliver Perez is because he kills the Braves and he is LH... which unless we resign Hampton... we dont have.

jmtapia
11-23-2008, 02:31 AM
I like Millwood. Ignore the ugly ERAs from the last two seasons...his BABIPs have been sky-high, largely the result of a Texas defense that ranked dead last in the majors in defensive efficiency last year. His homers should come down away from Arlington as well.

thats a lot of zig zagging....id pass on both.

Jon93405
11-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Millwood seems like a perfect candidate for a rebound with a change of scenery. He was a great pitcher, then he goes to maybe the second worst pitchers park in baseball, with the worst defense, and maintains a 5.00 ERA. He wouldn't be our ace, but he'd be a decent #4 guy.

jmtapia
11-23-2008, 09:26 AM
^^^ Problem i have is paying $23 Mill for a #4 over the next couple years....We have Hanson just throw him out there and he will surely post #4 or better numbers for under $.4 K.

rtgthree
11-23-2008, 12:27 PM
i agree with what you say but the reason i like Oliver Perez is because he kills the Braves and he is LH... which unless we resign Hampton... we dont have.

Why is it important to have a left-hander in the rotation? In the bullpen, I see it, because you can match the pitcher with the situation. But it's not like you're going to reshuffle your rotation so that a lefty can face a team that has trouble hitting lefties. I just want good starters, and I really don't see the weakness of a rotation that's all right-handed.

And signing Perez because he kills the Braves? Why? To prevent us from having to face him? What if he signs with the Angels, who we won't play for the next couple of years?

^^^ Problem i have is paying $23 Mill for a #4 over the next couple years....We have Hanson just throw him out there and he will surely post #4 or better numbers for under $.4 K.

He's more of a #3 if you get him out of Texas, and a two-year/$23 million deal is a bargain for a #3/#4 pitcher these days. There's no "surely" with Tommy Hanson at this point, and "just throwing" your top prospect out there is usually a bad strategy. Even with Hanson, you've still only got three legit starters (Jurrjens and Campillo being the others, and I still have my doubts about ol' Jorge). You need two more, and the free agent market is going to get real expensive real fast. I'd much prefer Millwood to Jon Garland or Ollie Perez.

tomno00
11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
^ how come you dont like oliver perez?

rtgthree
11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
^ how come you dont like oliver perez?

Nearly five walks per nine is just a start. Never posted a FIP below 4.35 except for his 2004 season, and that was a loooong time ago.

jmtapia
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
He's more of a #3 if you get him out of Texas, and a two-year/$23 million deal is a bargain for a #3/#4 pitcher these days. There's no "surely" with Tommy Hanson at this point, and "just throwing" your top prospect out there is usually a bad strategy. Even with Hanson, you've still only got three legit starters (Jurrjens and Campillo being the others, and I still have my doubts about ol' Jorge). You need two more, and the free agent market is going to get real expensive real fast. I'd much prefer Millwood to Jon Garland or Ollie Perez.

NO!!! Millwood is well into his 30s and isnt the pitcher he was before. IF you look at his 2008 Home/Away Splits you can see that his stats were actually worse AWAY from Texas:

Home 5.09 ERA 76.0 IP 89 H 43 ER 8 HR 22 BB 53 SO .284 BA
Away 5.05 ERA 92.2 IP 131 H 52 ER 10 HR 27 BB 72 SO .334 BA

You can take the same splits for his last 3 years in Texas and they mirror his 2008 Splits. There is no way that any one is worth $11-12 Mill a year to be your #4-5 starter with these type of stats. I dont care what his FIB is he is not worth that kind of money.

rtgthree
11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
NO!!! Millwood is well into his 30s and isnt the pitcher he was before. IF you look at his 2008 Home/Away Splits you can see that his stats were actually worse AWAY from Texas:

Home 5.09 ERA 76.0 IP 89 H 43 ER 8 HR 22 BB 53 SO .284 BA
Away 5.05 ERA 92.2 IP 131 H 52 ER 10 HR 27 BB 72 SO .334 BA

You can take the same splits for his last 3 years in Texas and they mirror his 2008 Splits. There is no way that any one is worth $11-12 Mill a year to be your #4-5 starter with these type of stats. I dont care what his FIB is he is not worth that kind of money.

Well, you should care what his FIP is. Like I said, for the last two years, he's played in front of one of baseball's worst defenses (dead last in DER in '08, 22nd in '07), and that has led to sky-high BABIP numbers. Put him in front of even a league-average defense, and that BABIP comes back down closer to .300, and he doesn't allow five earned runs per nine innings. No way, no how.

And jmtapia, what is so wrong with those stats? He's still missing his fair share of bats...bring him back to the NL, and he'll likely surpass 7 K's per nine. He's not walking anyone...after an unusual spike in 2007, he got back down closer to his career norm in 2008 with 2.61 walks per nine. And even in Texas' bandbox, he still keeps his HR/9 under one. Throw in that he has moderate groundball tendencies (1.2 GB/FB in '08), and you have the definition of a midrotation starter. What's not to like, aside from the bad-luck-inflated ERAs?

jmtapia
11-24-2008, 02:59 AM
^^^ I dont like the price tag...if he cost maybe half of what he does then sure but that is way to much for a #4/#5. IMO we could get that kind of production from Campillo and save our selves a boat loads of money....

jdiddy24
11-24-2008, 03:36 AM
^^^ I dont like the price tag...if he cost maybe half of what he does then sure but that is way to much for a #4/#5. IMO we could get that kind of production from Campillo and save our selves a boat loads of money....

but he can eat innings and is proven... Campillo had some beginners luck IMO and his ERA went from 3.06 pre allstar in 11 starts and 14 releif appearances to 4.91 post allstar in 14 starts. Campillo can be a servicable long reliever for us and a spot starter but he doesnt have the stuff to be a starting pitcher for an entire season.

jdiddy24
11-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Well, you should care what his FIP is. Like I said, for the last two years, he's played in front of one of baseball's worst defenses (dead last in DER in '08, 22nd in '07), and that has led to sky-high BABIP numbers. Put him in front of even a league-average defense, and that BABIP comes back down closer to .300, and he doesn't allow five earned runs per nine innings. No way, no how.

And jmtapia, what is so wrong with those stats? He's still missing his fair share of bats...bring him back to the NL, and he'll likely surpass 7 K's per nine. He's not walking anyone...after an unusual spike in 2007, he got back down closer to his career norm in 2008 with 2.61 walks per nine. And even in Texas' bandbox, he still keeps his HR/9 under one. Throw in that he has moderate groundball tendencies (1.2 GB/FB in '08), and you have the definition of a midrotation starter. What's not to like, aside from the bad-luck-inflated ERAs?

so what do you think it would take to acquire him?

jmtapia
11-24-2008, 05:06 AM
but he can eat innings and is proven... Campillo had some beginners luck IMO and his ERA went from 3.06 pre allstar in 11 starts and 14 releif appearances to 4.91 post allstar in 14 starts. Campillo can be a servicable long reliever for us and a spot starter but he doesnt have the stuff to be a starting pitcher for an entire season.

i would make the argument that he ran out of gas down the stretch...he didnt exactly prepare to take the ball every 5th day for around 5-6 IP/per.... I see what you are saying but looking at Millwoods HOME/AWAY splits we have to wonder whether he would turn it around or if he is just a 5 ER pitcher.

robdizzle3
11-24-2008, 05:51 AM
I thought we should have aquired one of them last year but for the prices they have we can end up getting one of these free agent starters for the same price.I see they have 1 year left on their contract so it wouldn be that bad seeing howtheir contracts would be off of the books

Chipper
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Jo Jo, Lilli, and Brandon Jones.

jdiddy24
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
i would make the argument that he ran out of gas down the stretch...he didnt exactly prepare to take the ball every 5th day for around 5-6 IP/per.... I see what you are saying but looking at Millwoods HOME/AWAY splits we have to wonder whether he would turn it around or if he is just a 5 ER pitcher.

See I would make the arguement he doesnt have the stuff and 2nd time around people figured him out. From watching him I've seen he has an above average change-up and a below average fastball... so if his changeup isnt working he struggles because he doesnt have another pitch to rely on.

You dont know what you are going to get with a full season of Campillo, but you do know what you'll get from Millwood.... 200 IP, 15 wins, and a ~4.25 ERA... anything better than that is a bonus and its worth the chance if he doesnt cost much in terms of prospects.

rtgthree
11-24-2008, 05:59 PM

You have to remember the price of pitching these days. Jon Garland is looking at $12 million a year this offseason. Oliver Perez could be looking at $14 million! Derek Lowe wants a five-year deal at AGE 37! If Kevin Millwood was a free agent, he'd get WAY more than two years and $23 million.

As for Campillo, he's a huge risk. From the start he was a junkballer, and they can collapse at any time as the league figures them out. I don't want to count him out, but I don't want to count him in either.

That's the beauty...next to nothing. The Rangers want to unload his contract, so it won't cost much. A couple marginal prospects probably, and nothing really significant. It really would be almost like a free agent signing, in my opinion, and like I said I see 2/23 as a bargain for a pitcher like Millwood.

The defense behind Millwood was just as bad at home or away. In fact, last year, the luck and defense were far worse on the road. He's NOT a 5 ERA pitcher...his peripherals will tell you that easily enough, and peripherals are FAR more indicative of future success than luck-influenced ERA.

rtgthree
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
From Mark Bowman of MLB.com:

Contrary to a report that surfaced earlier this weekend, the Braves have not talked to the Rangers about Kevin Millwood or Vicente Padilla. In fact, they have zero interest in these two hurlers.

Well that ends this discussion.

robdizzle3
11-25-2008, 03:14 AM
That hurts

jmtapia
11-25-2008, 05:04 AM
^^ great news IMO...braves are smart...

Chipper
11-25-2008, 02:41 PM

The Braves are smart to not talk about a great need that could come really cheap and eat big innings for them at a cheap price? Me thinks not.

jdiddy24
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM

... no thats stupid... $11M for a SP that will eat 200 IP and in the NL with our defense could put up 15+ wins and a 3.50-4 ERA... with pitchers like Silva getting $12M/yr this wouldve been a steal.

Cursed Rangers
12-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Would the Braves have any interest in trading for Kevin Millwood and what would they give up to try and get him?

rtgthree
12-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe (if nothing else works out), and nothing. There are lots of better options out there for the Braves to explore before they go after Millwood, and they shouldn't give up more than a song to get Millwood and the salary commitment he brings with him.

ugadawgsfan17
12-27-2008, 11:19 PM
He played as well with the Braves as he did with anyone else, I could see that happening

genekirby3324
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I think it's a long shot.Plus milwood get hurt alot....

PiKappSkip
12-28-2008, 12:50 AM
the braves arent that desperate, would rather see Parr, Jo Jo, Morton start over Millwood

BRAVE KID
12-28-2008, 02:37 AM
We were interested (as I have merged past millwood threads to prove it), now not really on our wish list. A lot of baggage to take on.

rtgthree
01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Pure speculation from Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Rangers trade pitcher Kevin Millwood to Atlanta Braves for outfielder Josh Anderson...
Keep in mind that's a PREDICTION, not a report of an actual deal. It's total speculation, but I wanted to post it because it might actually make some sense. The Rangers are trying to unload Millwood at all costs, and Anderson is expendable for the Braves. If Wren is unable to land Kenshin Kawakami, Millwood would represent a nice backup plan as a #4 starter. If the Rangers write us a check for, say, $5 million, Millwood is due just $8 million in 2009 and $10 million in 2010. That's really not too shabby for a guy who looks throw 180-190 innings of 4.00 ERA baseball once he gets out from in front of that horrific Texas defense and back to the safety of the NL and Turner Field.

I'd say this is something to keep an eye on.

tomno00
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
it depends on if we could get lowe, peavy, grenkie, etc. Milwood seems to be very inconsistent. just browsing through his stats and they tend to jump a lot, even if you take texas out of the picture. I do like anderson and his seep can become a big asset for us. But at the end of the day, winning takes pitching and i guess i would do this trade.

jmtapia
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
If the Rangers eat $3 Million in each of '09 and '10 i would give it a loook...however, the Braves need premier pitching and trading for guys like Millwood isnt really doing it. At this point id rather just give Morton/JoJo/Parr a chance to see what they have to offer...

rtgthree
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
If the Rangers eat $3 Million in each of '09 and '10 i would give it a loook...however, the Braves need premier pitching and trading for guys like Millwood isnt really doing it. At this point id rather just give Morton/JoJo/Parr a chance to see what they have to offer...

They do need a presence at the front of the rotation, but they also could use a veteran at the back end. This is what Kenshin Kawakami would be; Millwood is simply another option to fill that same need.