PDA

View Full Version : David Wright Or Ryan Braun

D-Amazins
05-31-2008, 02:26 PM
I know that theres a thread already but the OG poster has fantasy baseball factoring in.

Whos Just Overall better?

C1Bman88
05-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Braun should be a DH. Wright is one of the few legitimate 5-tool players in Baseball.

brewersfan729
05-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Braun should be a DH. Wright is one of the few legitimate 5-tool players in Baseball.

He's not that bad in LF so I don't know why people say that. Maybe you're just assuming he still plays third. But yeah, it's Wright, easily.

good spliff
05-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Wright>Braun in every part of the game.

Pujolsfan91
05-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Wright

C1Bman88
05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
He's not that bad in LF so I don't know why people say that. Maybe you're just assuming he still plays third. But yeah, it's Wright, easily.

It's because he doesn't cover much ground. The only players he's better than in the field are Raul Ibanez, Manny Ramirez, Carlos Quentin, Pat Burrell, and Carlos Lee. All of those players really should be DH's.

vince wilfort
05-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Both are great hitters, but Wright is much faster.

Gigantes4Life
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Wright is a better hitter, fielder, runner, player.

CAIN=FUTURE
05-31-2008, 09:33 PM
David Wright! Top 5 player right now and in a couple years I think he will top 1 or 2 players in baseball. Hes also my favorite hitter in baseball.

D-Amazins
06-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Wright is a better hitter, fielder, runner, player.

Agreed, hes better all around in every aspect of the game.

PackCrewBuckBad
06-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Wright>Braun in every part of the game.
not every

It's because he doesn't cover much ground. The only players he's better than in the field are Raul Ibanez, Manny Ramirez, Carlos Quentin, Pat Burrell, and Carlos Lee. All of those players really should be DH's.

Braun is pretty fast, he covers a good amount, and I'm sure he is better in the field than jsut those select few.

C1Bman88
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Braun is pretty fast, he covers a good amount, and I'm sure he is better in the field than jsut those select few.

The numbers prove otherwise. :shrug:

Kruk_N_Kuip
06-02-2008, 01:07 AM
wright is better. hes a more complete player. he does everthing really well. braun can only hit.

Tragedy
06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
In every aspect of the game, Wright.

Lets see what Braun can do over the next couple of years, THEN compare the two. But even then, Wright is playing a position that is hard to find great young players, while Braun is out in LF.

Brooke
06-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Braun is a freaking monster this season. I would pick him any day of the week

iangallagher29
06-08-2008, 12:41 AM
D wright just a great overall player, he has the intangibles it takes to be a great player in this leauge. id say the 2 best 3rd basemen are in NY

D-Amazins
06-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Braun is a freaking monster this season. I would pick him any day of the week

Please, He BARLEY has better numbers then Wright...

Braun: .292/20/55/.328/.576
Wright: .276/12/55/.367/.476

Braun was also on a tear in which he hit 9 Homers in 7 games, which is why his #'s are like that. It's ok tho, Wright will finish with better #'s along with better all around play,defense, & speed.

sanfranfan1210
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
David Wright

yaowowrocket11
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I am going to go with David Wright. He plays every aspect of the game with great talent. Braun is an outstanding hitter, but lacks the fielding which Wright has, and excels at. That is why Wright is the better overall player.

CarniifeX
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Put Wrights legs on Braun.

Brew Crew
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Hm same amount of steals so far. You do a lot more running in the OF as well. I don't know where you guys are getting this Wright has better wheels then Braun. IF you are actually basing it off SB's then you're ********.

Brew Crew
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Please, He BARLEY has better numbers then Wright...

Braun: .292/20/55/.328/.576
Wright: .276/12/55/.367/.476

Braun was also on a tear in which he hit 9 Homers in 7 games, which is why his #'s are like that. It's ok tho, Wright will finish with better #'s along with better all around play,defense, & speed.

I'll bet you differently.

johnnylee722
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Wright has him on fielding abilities and their pretty similar hitters. So I'd take Wright.

bosox3431
07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Wright, although I think it's a little closer then some of you like to think. Wright is a legit 5 tool player. And although Braun has a much better slg %, his OBPis pathetic

Newport05
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Easily wright

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Wright, although I think it's a little closer then some of you like to think. Wright is a legit 5 tool player. And although Braun has a much better slg %, his OBPis pathetic
The reason it's not close is because of longevity. While it's clear that Wright hasn't played in the league for 10+ years, but when Braun hasn't even completed two full seasons (And won't do so until some time during the next year, as he didn't play an ENTIRE year last year), it's hard to justify discussing him as a top hitter (Though he's surely making a name for himself).

Driven
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I would rather have Braun, personally. The guy's a better hitter and has more potential. I think Braun will be a much better hitter throughout his career.

bosox3431
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
The reason it's not close is because of longevity. While it's clear that Wright hasn't played in the league for 10+ years, but when Braun hasn't even completed two full seasons (And won't do so until some time during the next year, as he didn't play an ENTIRE year last year), it's hard to justify discussing him as a top hitter (Though he's surely making a name for himself).

Yea I forgot all about service time, but Braun is looking like the real deal, although he needs to either SO a whole lot less, or learn to draw a hell of alot more walks

Driven
07-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Braun's minor league stats (3 seasons): .313/.374/.572/.946
Wright's minor league stats (4 seasons): .288/.387/.474/.861

Braun's one season was better than any of Wright's 3 full seasons, as well as his 200+ at bats in his first season and this season.

quiksilver2491
07-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Yea I forgot all about service time, but Braun is looking like the real deal, although he needs to either SO a whole lot less, or learn to draw a hell of alot more walks

Too bad that's probably the hardest thing in baseball to learn. Some players can go their entire career trying to do just that and they never are successful. Personally I would take Wright and its not because "Hes a better fielder" or "Wright is a 5 tool player and can steal bases", its because Wright is just the better hitter.

Last year was a career year for Wright and he would of won the MVP IMO if his team didn't pull of one of the worst collapses in MLB history. Wright's OPS+ was 150 while Brauns was 153 although in a smaller sample size. Judging purely by OPS+ one would say Braun was better but when its that close you have to look at the entire stat line. Looking at the entire stat line its clear who the better hitter was and it was Wright. His OBP of .416 was greater than that of Braun's which was .370. What this tells me is Wright can do more at the plate then just SLG (homeruns, doubles etc.) he can also stretch the pitch count better and it shows me he has more room to grow as a hitter then Braun does.

Driven
07-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I would take a .370 OBP over a .416 OBP if the guy has a .634 SLG (About .150 higher than Wright's).

quiksilver2491
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Braun's minor league stats (3 seasons): .313/.374/.572/.946
Wright's minor league stats (4 seasons): .288/.387/.474/.861

Braun's one season was better than any of Wright's 3 full seasons, as well as his 200+ at bats in his first season and this season.

Minor leauge stats are completely useless, please don't bring them into discussion when comparing MLB players. The minors aren't for putting up the best numbers, they are used so that players can grow and become better and you don't know how long someone was playing at each level, what the stadiums where like, opposing pitchers etc. Honestly this comparison would be a lot more fair once Braun actually completes an entire season.

quiksilver2491
07-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I would take a .370 OBP over a .416 OBP if the guy has a .634 SLG (About .150 higher than Wright's).

Keep Braun, ill take Wright. Its obvious to me that if Braun can't increase his OBP, then he is going to be somewhat limited to what he can do as a hitter. Unless he can SLG above .600 year in and year out which is hard to do then he is going to have trouble putting up numbers in certain years. Even with age you can get OB but as you get older your physical skill is eventually going to diminish so I wouldn't want to rely on SLG for my career.

Driven
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Minor leauge stats are completely useless, please don't bring them into discussion when comparing MLB players. The minors aren't for putting up the best numbers, they are used so that players can grow and become better and you don't know how long someone was playing at each level, what the stadiums where like, opposing pitchers etc. Honestly this comparison would be a lot more fair once Braun actually completes an entire season.
Braun has better major league numbers in limited time. Braun has better minor league numbers.

So how can anyone make the argument that Wright is the better hitter.

And I don't find minor league stats useless at all, when comparing a young player.

Driven
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Keep Braun, ill take Wright. Its obvious to me that if Braun can't increase his OBP, then he is going to be somewhat limited to what he can do as a hitter. Unless he can SLG above .600 year in and year out which is hard to do then he is going to have trouble putting up numbers in certain years. Even with age you can get OB but as you get older your physical skill is eventually going to diminish so I wouldn't want to rely on SLG for my career.
What does that have to do with last season. You would take Wright's season over Braun's just because of OBP?

bosox3431
07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Too bad that's probably the hardest thing in baseball to learn. Some players can go their entire career trying to do just that and they never are successful. Personally I would take Wright and its not because "Hes a better fielder" or "Wright is a 5 tool player and can steal bases", its because Wright is just the better hitter.

Last year was a career year for Wright and he would of won the MVP IMO if his team didn't pull of one of the worst collapses in MLB history. Wright's OPS+ was 150 while Brauns was 153 although in a smaller sample size. Judging purely by OPS+ one would say Braun was better but when its that close you have to look at the entire stat line. Looking at the entire stat line its clear who the better hitter was and it was Wright. His OBP of .416 was greater than that of Braun's which was .370. What this tells me is Wright can do more at the plate then just SLG (homeruns, doubles etc.) he can also stretch the pitch count better and it shows me he has more room to grow as a hitter then Braun does.

I hate to say, because I really like Braun. But his OBP last year looked nice, but it was so high basically because of his high avg. Wrights OBP was nearly 100 points higher then his avg while Brauns was about 50. But Braun is still young and has room to work on that some, but he's on pace for around 140 K's and only 32 walks this year, for a middle of the order hitter thats not going to cut it.

quiksilver2491
07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
What does that have to do with last season. You would take Wright's season over Braun's just because of OBP?

No, I take Wright's season over Braun's because for me and most others OBP is weighed much higher than that of SLG. SLG is a stat that greatly favors power hitters so I really don't like to use it where as anyone can get on base. And going back to the previous post, are you so sure that Braun has been better than Wright THIS year? Lets take a look.

Wright - .283/BA .492/SLG .376/OBP OPS/.868 132 OPS+

Braun- .282/BA .544/SLG .317/OBP OPS/.861 123 OPS+

grkmaster
07-03-2008, 01:42 AM
As much of a monster Braun is, I will still take Wright any day of the week(even if I look like a homer) Wright is not even in full gear yet and is having a decent year so far. He knows how to go opposite field when needed and can hit the ball hard with the best of them.

Wright is decently fast player and the SB dont say anything. I watch him night in and night out and also knows how to pick his spots when it comes to stealing a base as well. Before this season he had stolen 54 and caught 10 times. (5 each season). He is a complete player in my mind. If I could take Braun on my team i would as well but as people mentioned, he K's alot and isnt working the pitchers counts to favor himself in the pitch he will be getting

Ragun
07-04-2008, 01:17 AM
wright because he can steal bases...i dont know if braun can though

Sc00py
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Braun!

Sc00py
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
wright because he can steal bases...i dont know if braun can though

He can and he does!

Sc00py
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Wright 9 SBs
Braun 8 SBs

D-Amazins
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

D-Amazins
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
No, I take Wright's season over Braun's because for me and most others OBP is weighed much higher than that of SLG. SLG is a stat that greatly favors power hitters so I really don't like to use it where as anyone can get on base. And going back to the previous post, are you so sure that Braun has been better than Wright THIS year? Lets take a look.

Wright - .283/BA .492/SLG .376/OBP OPS/.868 132 OPS+

Braun- .282/BA .544/SLG .317/OBP OPS/.861 123 OPS+

May i add to that, as well as update the averages for you

Wright - .285/BA .381/OBP .504/SLG 17/HR 70/RBI 57/RS 10/SB
Braun - .286/BA .326/OBP .550/SLG 22/HR 62/RBI 49/RS 8/SB

May i also point out that althought Braun has 5 more Homers, Wright has 8 more RBI's which looks bad on Braun's part.

The whole thing that i find quite funny about this comparison is, in Wright's case...this is sort of an OFF first half for him, that tell ya something.

PackCrewBuckBad
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
^ that isn't "off" for him at all

BTW, compared to last year, that is way "off" for braun.
Also the RBI part doesn't look bad on Braun, it is due to the fact we had weeks and cameron at 1 and 2.

Braun has been amazing in the OF too.

RedSoxRok34
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
wright, a true five-tool player

D-Amazins
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
]^ that isn't "off" for him at all[/B]BTW, compared to last year, that is way "off" for braun.
Also the RBI part doesn't look bad on Braun, it is due to the fact we had weeks and cameron at 1 and 2.

Braun has been amazing in the OF too.

what are you talking about, it's been said many times that this is an "off" year for david wright so FAR.

Even tho I believe hes having a very good year on pace to have more HR & RBI then last year. It's the BA thats killing him.

Tragedy
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
wright, a true five-tool player
So what has A-Rod been his entire career?

Humongo
07-23-2008, 06:22 AM
what are you talking about, it's been said many times that this is an "off" year for david wright so FAR.

Even tho I believe hes having a very good year on pace to have more HR & RBI then last year. It's the BA thats killing him.

Wright had a .878 OPS in the first half this season. Last season in the first half he had a .879. You're right, that's a huge drop off.

JAYZFAN9
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
^ lol

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Wright had a .878 OPS in the first half this season. Last season in the first half he had a .879. You're right, that's a huge drop off.

hmmm so let me get this straight..you obviously cannot read.

A. I did not say he was having a off year, i obviously stated i thought he was having a good year.

B. I said he's on pace to have more HR & More RBI then last year so theres another point to back up my statement.

C. Last i checked Batting Average isnt On Base Plus Slugging, which is what i said is KILLING HIM

Humongo
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
hmmm so let me get this straight..you obviously cannot read.

You said he's having an off year. His offensive output this season is the exact same as last season through this point ... unless of course he was having an off season last year too? :eyebrow:

And his BA is irrelevant, which is why I choose to ignore that part.

BaRRySandAmaN
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Man both are great Players and will be for a long time. The one thing that I see at being the difference is Wright is a great defender at 3rd and Ryan is still learning the OF. Ryan has made a very good transition to the OF so....Offensively you couldnt go wrong either way. I lean toward Wright only because he is at 3B a harder position

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Ryan Braun - .296 BA, 29 HR, 82 RBI, .335 OBP, .581 slugging
David Wright - .286 BA, 20 HR, 84 RBI, .386 OBP, .500 slugging

Braun is the better hitter. Better average, better power numbers. He's only in his 2nd year as well. Braun will continue to get better, and those numbers will only improve. I'm posting this has Braun has had a sorta rough series in Atlanta, a few games ago his numbers were much higher. And 0 errors in the OF is pretty good, you gotta realize it's his third position change in 3 years. From SS to 3B to LF. Give him time. He's a much better hitter and a legitimate MVP candidate this year.

Kenny
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Braun is the better hitter. Better average, better power numbers. He's only in his 2nd year as well. Braun will continue to get better, and those numbers will only improve. I'm posting this has Braun has had a sorta rough series in Atlanta, a few games ago his numbers were much higher. And 0 errors in the OF is pretty good, you gotta realize it's his third position change in 3 years. From SS to 3B to LF. Give him time. He's a much better hitter and a legitimate MVP candidate this year.

:rolleyes:, His OBP is terrible, his defense is terrible and Wright is in a major slump. He will be over .300 by seasons end.

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM

I love how you chose to ignore Wright's superior OBP as if it didn't matter. Let's look at their production statistics:

Braun- .307 EqA
Wright- .312

Braun- .376
Wright- .379

Saying that Braun is the better hitter is just silly. And I'm only showing this season because you chose to. Wright has been producing for years now and is only one year older than Braun. You can just as easily say:

He's a much better hitter and a legitimate MVP candidate this year.

about Wright, just as you can about Braun.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
OBP % for Braun is just dumb. He's there to get runs in, not to take walks. Wright takes walks because that's his role, to get on base and score. Braun's not trying to be the guy getting hit around the bases, he's the guy that supposed to hit guys around the bases.

Explain to me how Wright is a better hitter when his BA, HR total, and slugging are worse than Braun's. The RBI's are too close to call right now. So, the only area in which Wright is better is OBP, a stat that really isn't as important when evaluating Braun. Since he hasn't even played a full season yet, his 162 game averages come out looking like this:
Braun:
.310 AVG, 46 HR, 131 RBI, .353 OBP, .608 slugging, .961 OPS
Wright:
.307 AVG, 29 HR, 111 RBI, .388 OBP, .527 slugging, .915 OPS

It's pretty damn obvious who's the better hitter. And Wright has played 4+ years, Braun's no where near that yet. He'll only get better.

I'm not saying David Wright isn't good, or that I wouldn't kill to have him on my team. I would love David Wright, probably splooge in my trousers if we ever got him. He's a better defensive player and a great all-around player. I just think you're wrong if you say Braun isn't a better hitter.
So, if you really want to talk about "career" stats, Braun is better.

Kenny
08-03-2008, 08:38 PM
so if Wrights job is to take walks then why does he have more rbi then Braun?

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
You said he's having an off year. His offensive output this season is the exact same as last season through this point ... unless of course he was having an off season last year too? :eyebrow:

And his BA is irrelevant, which is why I choose to ignore that part.

well it isn't irrelevant because it's the reason i pointed it out.
I mean when ever the Mets are playing on Fox 5 or ESPN or even SNY (Mets local TV station) they say he's struggling/having a off year...why? because they see his BA.

Like i said, i never said he's having an off year if you read up u can see i clearly wrote:

Im just stating that other people such as analysts and announcers are saying it, not me.

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
OBP % for Braun is just dumb. He's there to get runs in, not to take walks. Wright takes walks because that's his role, to get on base and score. Braun's not trying to be the guy getting hit around the bases, he's the guy that supposed to hit guys around the bases.

Explain to me how Wright is a better hitter when his BA, HR total, and slugging are worse than Braun's. The RBI's are too close to call right now. So, the only area in which Wright is better is OBP, a stat that really isn't as important when evaluating Braun. Since he hasn't even played a full season yet, his 162 game averages come out looking like this:
Braun:
Wright:

It's pretty damn obvious who's the better hitter. And Wright has played 4+ years, Braun's no where near that yet. He'll only get better.

I'm not saying David Wright isn't good, or that I wouldn't kill to have him on my team. I would love David Wright, probably splooge in my trousers if we ever got him. He's a better defensive player and a great all-around player. I just think you're wrong if you say Braun isn't a better hitter.

You have lost ALL baseball credibility.

EVERY position players JOB is to GET ON BASE & DRIVE IN RUNS!!!!
and its OBVIOUS that Wright does better in BOTH because his stats are better in BOTH CATEGORIES.

By the way, do you know math? how is it possible that Wright would end up with less RBI's then Braun when he leads him in RBI's this year that makes no sense

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow, a whole 2 more. Maybe becuase he has Wright and Beltran in front of him. For the entire year Rickie Weeks has been leading off and for most of it Mike Cameron was hitting second. Now JJ has been switched into the 2 hole recently, but Cameron and Weeks were just awful. Weeks is hitting like .220 and Cameron is barely any better.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
You have lost ALL baseball credibility.

EVERY position players JOB is to GET ON BASE & DRIVE IN RUNS!!!!
Your obviously an idoit, and its OBVIOUS that Wright does better in BOTH because his stats are better in BOTH CATEGORIES.

Maybe the only reason you think OBP is so important is because it's the only category that Wright is better than Braun in. Since he's not better in BA HR Slugging or OPS.

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Maybe the only reason you think OBP is so important is because it's the only category that Wright is better than Braun in. Since he's not better in BA HR Slugging or OPS.

Im done, im not going to bother with a kid that knows NOTHING of which he speaks of.

OBP > BA

What do HR's matter if your not driving more runs with them?

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Braun's job, just like every other hitters, is to create runs. The most important thing you need to do in order to score runs is to get on base. After that is slugging percentage. From those 2 we can build all-performance statistics like EqA and wOBA.

Saying that you need to ignore Braun's OBP is, and excuse for me being blunt, stupid.

Explain to me how Wright is a better hitter when his BA, HR total, and slugging are worse than Braun's. The RBI's are too close to call right now. So, the only area in which Wright is better is OBP, a stat that really isn't as important when evaluating Braun.

When you use crappy statistics like RBIs and batting average, you tend to get odd results. Just like right here. Look at their wOBAs.

It's important to use OBP to evaluate every player, considering it's the best "raw" offensive statistic out there. It correlates the best with run scoring.

Since he hasn't even played a full season yet, his 162 game averages come out looking like this:
Braun:
Wright:

wOBAs in 2007:
Wright- .408
Braun- .414

And Wright's sample size is about 30% larger. That's something that you have to take into account. Give Braun the same sample size as Wright, and it's even closer.

2008 wOBA
Braun- .376
Wright- .379

So you're saying we should punish Wright for getting to the majors at a younger age than Braun? Why would Braun continue to get better, and not Weight?

Wright is a better player than Braun, and he's only one year older. There's not like a 3 year difference here.

Nope. He's not.

No.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Dude, take off the rose-colored glasses. I don't want Braun taking walks, I want him hitting bombs. Why are HR's important? Hhhmm, they're instant runs that aren't contingent upon others hitting you in. There's only 1 category that Wright is superior in, OBP, and you think that OBP is the biggest statistic ever, well, newsflash, it isn't. Funny how you say RBI's are so much more important, when they're virtually tied. You act as if Braun is some scrub.

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Dude, take off the rose-colored glasses. I don't want Braun taking walks, I want him hitting bombs. Why are HR's important? Hhhmm, they're instant runs that aren't contingent upon others hitting you in. There's only 1 category that Wright is superior in, OBP, and you think that OBP is the biggest statistic ever, well, newsflash, it isn't. Funny how you say RBI's are so much more important, when they're virtually tied. You act as if Braun is some scrub.

Is that to me?

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
OK, this is very obviously a bunch of Mets fans ganging up on me. I'm done arguing.

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
OK, this is very obviously a bunch of Mets fans ganging up on me. I'm done arguing.

Really? I could swear I was a Braves fan. Practically the exact opposite.

Or maybe you give up arguing because you lose?

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Braun has more power, but Wright is the more complete player.

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM

lmao, your baseball knowledge is based off of pure stupidity. This isn't arena football where there are insanley high scores and everyones stats look buffed.

A Solo HR Counts the same as a RBI Single
A 2 Run HR counts the same as a 2 Run double...get my point?

HR's aren't everything, who would you rather have?

Player A: 50 HR/ 120 RBI
Player B: 35 HR/ 145 RBI

Im taking player B
obviously a kid like you see's the 50 HR's and u practically :drool:

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 09:02 PM
What are the three main stats in baseball? HR, RBI, BA. Hitting HR's are the holy grail of baseball, the most important and sacred stat in baseball. Everybody knows the HR kings. What do you see on TV? People in a HR record race or guys in an OBP race? HR's are just the best. Braun hits more HR's, has more hits (2nd in the NL in hits), has a better BA, has a better slugging percentage, and, has a better .OPS. I would probably consider OPS more important than OBP. Let's also factor in that Braun is by far the best hitter on his team and leads the team in nearly all hitting categories. So he's the better hitter on a much better team. Wright is a better all around player, I agree with 5+7, he plays awesome defense and is all-around great.

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Or, in simpler terms for you:

YOU FAIL :down:

AND YOU FAIL HARD :bang:

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
What are the three main stats in baseball? HR, RBI, BA. Hitting HR's are the holy grail of baseball, the most important and sacred stat in baseball. Everybody knows the HR kings. What do you see on TV? People in a HR record race or guys in an OBP race? HR's are just the best. Braun hits more HR's, has more hits (2nd in the NL in hits), has a better BA, has a better slugging percentage, and, has a better .OPS. I would probably consider OPS more important than OBP. Let's also factor in that Braun is by far the best hitter on his team and leads the team in nearly all hitting categories. So he's the better hitter on a much better team. Wright is a better all around player, I agree with 5+7, he plays awesome defense and is all-around great.

Since when did those 3 stats become the three MAIN stats in baseball?

Oh i see, you think just because everytime you watch a baseball game on TV and those are the stats they show when the batter comes to the plate that those are the 3 MAIN stats?

U have alot of growing up to do.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Since when did those 3 stats become the three MAIN stats in baseball?

Oh i see, you think just because everytime you watch a baseball game on TV and those are the stats they show when the batter comes to the plate that those are the 3 MAIN stats?

U have alot of growing up to do.

What is your problem? Why do I have a lot of growing up to do? Because I don't like your players as much as you do? You just can't handle anybody elses opinion. The only area offensively where Wright is better is OBP, but Braun has a WAY better OPS anyways. Newsflash, just because you play in a huge market doesn't mean you're a better player.

D-Amazins
08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
What is your problem? Why do I have a lot of growing up to do? Because I don't like your players as much as you do? You just can't handle anybody elses opinion. The only area offensively where Wright is better is OBP, but Braun has a WAY better OPS anyways. Newsflash, just because you play in a huge market doesn't mean you're a better player.

You ave alot of growing up to do in the sense that you have alot to learn about baseball.

Look, im not even going to call you a Homer, because it's obvious that you just dont know what your talking about, so ill just leave it at that.

Dude, take off the rose-colored glasses. I don't want Braun taking walks, I want him hitting bombs.

OBP % for Braun is just dumb. He's there to get runs in, not to take walks.

Based off of that alone, i can tell, that you have no REAL baseball knowledge.

I rest my case.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
My point is, Braun isn't taking walks because he isn't supposed to. What does taking a walk do? Obviously gets on base. But it doesn't produce runs. Braun is a better hitter, it's very obvious. He gets MORE hits, he gets MORE HR's, he gets MORE total bases, he has a BETTER OPS, he has a HIGHER Avg. His power numbers are sick, among the top of the MLB ranks in HR, slugging, and along with those a .300 BA. That's pretty damn good.

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 09:30 PM

There is so much wrong with this post......

What are the three main stats in baseball? HR, RBI, BA. Hitting HR's are the holy grail of baseball, the most important and sacred stat in baseball.

They've been the three sacred statistics in baseball because THAT IS ALL THAT WAS AVAILABLE FOR A LONG TIME. Then along came very smart baseball minds like Bill James and Pete Palmer, who introduced OPS and Runs created. Then came other people and improved those statistics. We now have great all-performance statistics such as wOBA and EqA.

Everybody knows the HR kings. What do you see on TV? People in a HR record race or guys in an OBP race?

Everybody also knows murderers, rapists, and psychopaths, and they are on TV a lot, too. That doesn't make them great.

Yes, HR is a great thing. The best thing you can do in an at-bat is hit a HR. That doesn't mean that a player that has more HR is automatically a better hitter. What if he's hit a lot less doubles and gotten on base at a crappy rate? Your logic is flawed.

HR's are just the best. Braun hits more HR's, has more hits (2nd in the NL in hits), has a better BA, has a better slugging percentage, and, has a better .OPS. I would probably consider OPS more important than OBP.

OPS is ultimately flawed in that it undervalues OBP. OBP is more important than slugging, yet OPS counts them as equals. Paul DePodesta once calculated that OBP is at least 4 times more important than slugging percentage. Sabermetricians have found that a better equation for OPS would be 1.56 * OBA + SLG.

That is where linear weights and wOBA come in:

http://www.insidethebook.com/woba.shtml

Let's also factor in that Braun is by far the best hitter on his team and leads the team in nearly all hitting categories. So he's the better hitter on a much better team.

Fail.

OnWisconsin2007
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
OK, whatever, I'll take the guy that hits more HR's, has a better average, more RBI's (if you look at 162 game averages), better slugging and better .OPS. You can have the hitter with the better OBP.

Seamhead
08-03-2008, 09:38 PM
OK, whatever, I'll take the guy that hits more HR's, has a better average, more RBI's (if you look at 162 game averages), better slugging and better .OPS. You can have the hitter with the better OBP.

I'm not taking the hitter with the better OBP. I'm taking the better overall hitter, as wOBA and EqA show. If anything, they're even offensively.

SportsFan1988
08-04-2008, 12:41 AM
No disrespect to Braun, but David Wright is the all-around better player, and I personally would rather have him on my team.

CAIN=FUTURE
08-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Id take Wright almost every player in the MLB.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Bill James said earlier in the season if he was starting a team David Wright would be the first player he picked. I think I'll side with Bill James on this one.

HighVelocity
08-05-2008, 02:14 AM
David Wright

mikedesi1004
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
david wright