PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Add

brandonwarne52
05-26-2008, 02:06 AM
There are a lot of threads that ask who you would add if you could change your entire team. I thought for this blog entry, I could try something different.

As always with my blog entries, view participation is needed:)

Here's the bit:

Consider each position by itself. If you could add any player from that position, who would it be?

For instance, say the Twins could add anyone at SS. I would have to come up with a player that would fit in with the REST of the team as is, rather than creating an all new team. Make sense?

Here goes:

C - Joe Mauer. I'd honestly keep Joe Mauer. He's a stud offensively and defensively, and he sells tickets because of the local connection. He fits perfectly in any of the top 3 slots in the order, and should win a gold glove soon. He has underrated speed, and bunts for base hits on a regular basis.

1B- Justin Morneau. I'd keep Morneau, too. He took less money to stay here (max payout in his contract is 14 million in a year), and is a pretty dang good defensive 1B. He's on fire this year, especially when you consider his batting average in the context of the rest of his career.

2B- Brandon Phillips. Young, pretty good defensive player. Very good hitter, and he steals a lot of bases. I love this guy's all around game, and I wanted to be different than Utley or Uggla.

3B- Evan Longoria. Pretty easy pick, here. Young, cost controlled, and an amazing player. Would hit 4th between Mauer and Morneau, and would hopefully be around for a decade or so.

SS- Hanley Ramirez. Same thing with Longoria. Could also lead off, but definitely would not in the Twins lineup as is.

LF- Matt Holliday. Pretty much the best hitter in the NL. Easy pick here.

CF- Carlos Gomez. Kill me for it if you want, but the kid will be a superstar as soon as he commands the strike zone better.

RF- Josh Hamilton. He's played both RF and CF, so I'll take him here. He's an absolute mauler, and you can't have enough LH power bats.

DH- Ryan Braun. He's an absolute butcher with the mitt, but hot damn can he hit. Also would hit 4th between Mauer and Morneau. I like that he could play LF and 3B, too.

What about you? Feel free to add pitching, and I might also if there's enough participation....

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Holliday's the best hitter in the NL? That's a joke right?

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Anyways I guess you do your own team?

C-Bengie Molina: He's clutch and provides great leadership and will aid the young SP

1B-John Bowker: I think he may be the first legitimate player we've had in a long time.

2B-Chase Utley: He's young, is a stud, and will be around for a while.

SS-Troy Tulowitzki: He really should have been the MVP last year, and he plays such great D. His offensive splits were bad, but he'll get better.

3B-Miguel Cabrera: I know he made the move to 1B, but I still think he can play there. And he's still a beast.

LF-Rick Ankiel: see the similarities? :)

CF-Aaron Rowand: He provides great energy and is a great leader. Also he was so overrated that I think he's underrated now.

RF-Jay Bruce: Should be in the majors by now, and man, should he be good...

brandonwarne52
05-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Holliday's the best hitter in the NL? That's a joke right?

Um, no?

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 04:31 AM
I didn't even know a guy with a career .780 OPS on the road could be even considered in the top 10 hitters.

I would have figured guys like Pujols, Wright, Utley, Berkman, Ramirez, Fielder, Braun, and a few more would be better. But what do I know?

That really surprised me coming from you, I have to admit. Although I know it's early in the morning there so maybe you're really tired?

brandonwarne52
05-26-2008, 04:34 AM
I meant to say arguably.

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 04:39 AM
I don't even think you can argue for Holliday honestly. But at least that makes it a bit better.

ccugrad1
05-26-2008, 02:13 PM
The problem with my team, the Marlins, is that I would have to have a minimum payroll. This is my best guess at the all under $1,000,000 club!!! Mind you, I am going by the following website:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2008

Catcher-- Russell Martin, $500,000. Another solid player who has 20+ HR possibilities and can also add steals.

1st Base-- Prince Fielder, $670,000. Mashed 50 HR's last season!!

2nd Base-- Dan Uggla, $417,000. Cheap and solid!!

Shortstop-- Hanley Ramirez, $439,000. Can't beat that price for that production can you?

3rd Base-- Ryan Zimmerman, $465,000. Another solid player for an inexpensive price!!

Left Field-- Nate McLouth, $425,000. Can play left field or center field, so I slotted him here.

Center Field-- Jacoby Ellsbury, $406,000. A stud! Why he isn't any everyday player in Boston is beyond my comprehension!

Right Field-- Josh Hamilton, $396,830. Imagine a 3-4-5 of him, Ramirez, and Fielder?

I know I am not the greatest MLB person, but that isn't too shabby of a team for exactly $3,718,830!!!

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 05:07 PM
That is very cheap, for now.

Zaunnie
05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
C - Ivan Rodriguez: Despite being on the decline, he's still the best defensive catcher in the game

1B - Prince Fielder: What would be better than having Prince play for his dad's former team?

2B - Aaron Hill: One of the only Jays I'd keep. He's very underated when it comes to his bat and his glove is spectacular

3B - Scott Rolen: The best defensive 3rd baseman in the game. Enough said

SS - Jose Reyes: He's fast.

LF - Ryan Braun: He's got amazing power. He'll be a stud for years to come

CF - Josh Hamilton: As long as he stays drug free he's an absolute beast

RF - Jeff Francoeur: The man with a golden arm. Much better than Rios

Gigantes4Life
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd much rather have Rios than Franceour to be honest. Franceour is a very average offensive player, and for playing a corner OF position, that's not very good. Also, Pudge's defense is no longer the best at catcher, that title goes to Russell Martin.

JasonAChurchill
05-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Hanley Ramirez is a great hitter, but among the very worst defensive shortstops in all of baseball. Having said that, I'd still have him on my team, just not at short.

1B - Albert Pujols
Pujols is the best hitter in baseball and very good at first base.
2B - Chase Utley
Utley might be the best PLAYER in the game with his plus power and gold glove caliber defense.
3B - David Wright
AROD makes sense here, too, but with Wright I get a player who is still getting better and plays fantastic defense.
SS - Troy Tulowitzki
He started off really slow at the plate before he went on the DL, but his makeup and superb defense are what my team needs, since I already have tons of offense.
C - Brian McCann
Mauer is very good, but may not stick behind the plate long term and lacks the power most scouts thought he had. Russ Martin does everything and brings leadership and surprising speed to the table as well, but McCann is a vastly better bat and is already known for calling a great game.
OF - Hanley Ramirez
He's a great bat and a terrific athlete, but cannot handle shortstop for me. He could play center, but until I could get him a full offseason and spring training playing there, I'll stick him in left where he'll provide plus range and a very good throwing arm... and the offensive production, of course.
OF - Justin Upton
He's still got a lot to learn, as evidenced by his struggles in May after a stellar April, but he's an absolute stud and does everything well.
OF - Josh Hamilton
It's tough to pass on Hamilton right now.
DH - Ryan Braun
In time he'll be fine in the field but I have to have his bat. Try and sneak a fastball by this kid. I dare you.
SP - Josh Beckett
Best big game pitcher in baseball... history.
SP - Tim Lincecum
Rubber arm with top five stuff.
SP - Brandon Webb
Big time work horse.
SP - C. C Sabathia
Lights out since awful start to season.
SP - Felix Hernandez
If I have Beckett, Lincecum, Webb and CC headlining, I can wait a little while for Felix to pass them all up while putting up No. 2 numbers in the meantime.
RP - Joe Nathan
Nasty.
RP - George Sherrill
Left-handed hitters have no chance. None.
RP - Jonathan Papelbon
Plus command of mid-90s fastball and wocked split.
RP - J.J. Putz
When he's right, he's right there with Nathan and Papelbon.
Manager - Anyone could manage this team.

brandonwarne52
05-29-2008, 08:49 AM
The problem with my team, the Marlins, is that I would have to have a minimum payroll. This is my best guess at the all under $1,000,000 club!!! Mind you, I am going by the following website:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2008

Catcher-- Russell Martin, $500,000. Another solid player who has 20+ HR possibilities and can also add steals.

1st Base-- Prince Fielder, $670,000. Mashed 50 HR's last season!!

2nd Base-- Dan Uggla, $417,000. Cheap and solid!!

Shortstop-- Hanley Ramirez, $439,000. Can't beat that price for that production can you?

3rd Base-- Ryan Zimmerman, $465,000. Another solid player for an inexpensive price!!

Left Field-- Nate McLouth, $425,000. Can play left field or center field, so I slotted him here.

Center Field-- Jacoby Ellsbury, $406,000. A stud! Why he isn't any everyday player in Boston is beyond my comprehension!

Right Field-- Josh Hamilton, $396,830. Imagine a 3-4-5 of him, Ramirez, and Fielder?

I know I am not the greatest MLB person, but that isn't too shabby of a team for exactly $3,718,830!!!

Except that you totally did it wrong.

ccugrad1
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

How is mine any different than the rest of them?

brandonwarne52
05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
For instance, say the Twins could add anyone at SS. I would have to come up with a player that would fit in with the REST of the team as is, rather than creating an all new team. Make sense?

vince wilfort
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
C: Joe Mauer
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Brandon Phillips
3B: David Wright
SS: Hanley Ramirez
OF: Carl Crawford
OF: Josh Hamilton
OF: Carlos Beltran

Gigantes4Life
05-31-2008, 01:06 AM

No he didn't, he kept Uggla and Hanley.

McJoe
06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
i kind of thot this was supposed to be change one player that fits with the rest of the players on the team...and then you changed everyone but your 1st baseman and catcher and center field...so im gonna do both with my jays

if i could change a bunch:
C: Russ Martin -- bring a stud canadian into the fold
1B: Albert Pujols -- probably the best pure hitter in baseball
2B: Aaron Hill -- gold glover, great bat, what mroe do you want
SS: Hanley Ramirez -- best SS in baseball
3B: Scott Rolen -- great glove and he can hit to boot
LF: Manny Ramirez -- need another big time bat in there and Manny is one of the best
CF: Alex Rios -- im putting him here cause this is where he belongs
RF: Ichiro -- need some wheels and a leadoff man and hes the best
DH: Prince Fielder -- the spot he belongs

if i can only change one player on my whole roster...i dont know who i change but its either a SS who can leadoff or another beastly bat in there so i think i put Rafael Furcal at SS cause i think he just fits to perfect with the Blue Jays...he can hit, field, cannon of an arm, hes a switch hitter, and hes absolute lightning on the basepaths exactly what this team needs as a spark so Furcal in and Eck out and it looks like this

Furcal, SS
Hill, 2B
Rios, RF
Rolen, 3B
Overbay, 1B
Wells, CF
Stairs, DH
Stewart, LF
Zaun, C

FlyersPhanatic9
06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I am going to do the change one player.
And for that, I would change Pedro Feliz for David Wright.
Wright - Rollins - Utley - Howard... yum.

brandonwarne52
06-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Yeah, you change one player. And you do it for every position.

So for the Twins, If I wanted Russell Martin as my catcher:

C- Martin
1B- Morneau
2B- Casilla
3B- Lamb
SS- Harris
LF- Young
CF- Gomez
RF- Cuddyer
DH- Kubel

Then, if I wanted Teixieira:
C- Mauer
1B- Teixieira
2B- Casilla
3B- Lamb
SS- Harris
LF- Young
CF- Gomez
RF- Cuddyer
DH- Kubel

But instead of typing it all out, I just did the lineup with each of the players. Didn't think it was that tough to figure out....

McJoe
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
^^i get it now...i understood it as you changing one player and leaving the rest the same rather than basically just picking the best player in your opinion at each position which is what it is

so your saying your lazy is all right :p

metsrock229
06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
NOW i get it... ill do mine later cuz im interested

bartoron
07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
If I could change one player on the Yankees, I'd take out Melky Cabrera (cool name, but can't hit for his life) and replace him with Josh Hamilton. Man, that'd be a sweet lineup.

good spliff
07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
C-Bengie Molina
1B-Lance Berkman
2B-Brandon Phillips
3B-Evan Longoria
SS-Manny Burriss
LF-Fred Lewis
CF-Aaron Rowand
RF-Josh Hamilton

brandonwarne52
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
C-Bengie Molina
1B-Lance Berkman
2B-Brandon Phillips
3B-Evan Longoria
SS-Manny Burriss
LF-Fred Lewis
CF-Aaron Rowand
RF-Josh Hamilton

Put down the 'spliff' and re-read the original post.

jcs88
07-08-2008, 03:46 AM
I just wanna shout out to brandonwarne for recommending this site to me...anyway I'm a Yankee fan...if I could change the team I'd think long-term...and I'd try to focus on guys who I think would handle the pressures of New York and the Yankees:

C- Joe Mauer
1B- Mark Teixeira (seems to be cool calm and collected, just goes out and plays)
2B- Dustin Pedroia (I hate him but I love how he plays the game)
SS- Jose Reyes (I still have faith in this guy, he's young and can be the ultimate sparkplug, plus it might do him good to change teams)
3B- ARod
LF- Matt Holliday
CF- Melky Cabrera (would be a solid #9 hitter and a fine defensive OF'er)
RF- Alex Rios (a solid all-around young player)
DH- Hideki Matsui (he's still a good hitter and can definitely play under pressure, he just has to stay healthy)

SP Johan Santana (still a great pitcher and doesn't get hurt)
SP Josh Beckett (to shut down teams in the playoffs)
SP Chien Ming Wang (will win a ton of games in the regular season)
SP Andy Pettitte (can always use the experienced veteran)
SP Scott Kazmir (he's got a great career ahead of him and can dominate in the AL)
MR JC Romero (to shut down lefties)
MR Edwar Ramirez
MR Jose Veras
SU KRod (can be the closer after Mo retires)
CL Mariano Rivera

EDIT: I don't think I got the right idea but I didnt realize it until I did all of this...anyway I think this would be a pretty nasty team lol

brandonwarne52
07-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Pretty good list; I trust you know the premise of the thread!;)