PDA

View Full Version : Target SP..

CrippledRam
05-17-2008, 01:19 PM
So, for sake of discussion, let's say FW is going to trade for a SP. Let's just say it's a package of BJ and Lilli. Who do we go after?

jdiddy24
05-17-2008, 03:47 PM
its not as much who we want as who is available... Blanton could be available...as could Harden (stay away from...injury prone), Sabathia could be available if the Indians regress because he is a FA at the end of the year, Oswalt could be available once the astros cool down, Maddux seems to be available to us.... other than that nothing great will be available worth trading for.

Bravesman11
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Kevin Millwood, Anthony Reyes, Tom Gorzellany, Bronson Arroyo could all be traded for, but probably only Anthony Reyes could be had for that package.

ATLBravesfan
05-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I say get both Joe Blanton and Anthony Reyes. If we want to start getting a younger rotation might as well start now. Just send Reyes to AAA till next year. It would cost a lot, but our rotation would be good for a LONG time and you don't get many opportunities to load up on starting pitching like we would be if we landed both of these pitchers. Now I've never seen this Reyes pitch, but he sounds a lot like jojo, great stuff but ain't learned how to use it effectively yet. If Roger could help jojo, why wouldn't he be able to help anthony reach his potential?

jdiddy24
05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I say get both Joe Blanton and Anthony Reyes. If we want to start getting a younger rotation might as well start now. Just send Reyes to AAA till next year. It would cost a lot, but our rotation would be good for a LONG time and you don't get many opportunities to load up on starting pitching like we would be if we landed both of these pitchers. Now I've never seen this Reyes pitch, but he sounds a lot like jojo, great stuff but ain't learned how to use it effectively yet. If Roger could help jojo, why wouldn't he be able to help anthony reach his potential?

bad idea... dont trade away our future for two mediocre pitchers with upside... we have got 3 pitchers (tommy hanson, jeff locke, and cole rohrbrough) that are going to be ready between 2010 and 2011 and we will have Jair and Hudson then as well... as well as JoJo if we keep him and minors pitchers such as Charlie Morton.

ATLBravesfan
05-17-2008, 08:06 PM
bad idea... dont trade away our future for two mediocre pitchers with upside... we have got 3 pitchers (tommy hanson, jeff locke, and cole rohrbrough) that are going to be ready between 2010 and 2011 and we will have Jair and Hudson then as well... as well as JoJo if we keep him and minors pitchers such as Charlie Morton.

Maybe one of those pitchers you named will make it to the majors, and theres no guarantee that ONE will be good enough to stick around. However, Blanton has pitched in the majors and would contribute right now, and Reyes can contribute its only a matter of time. A lot of ya'll kept telling me to be patient with jojo, why wouldn't you do the same with anthony reyes?
I think your idea is the bad idea.

jdiddy24
05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Maybe one of those pitchers you named will make it to the majors, and theres no guarantee that ONE will be good enough to stick around. However, Blanton has pitched in the majors and would contribute right now, and Reyes can contribute its only a matter of time. A lot of ya'll kept telling me to be patient with jojo, why wouldn't you do the same with anthony reyes?

well there is no guarantee that Blanton will do as well in the NL... and the difference between JoJo and Anthony is really simple... WE DONT HAVE TO TRADE AWAY 2 OF OUR TOP 3 POSITION PROSPECTS!!!!!! use common sense man... trading Lilli and BJ for Reyes would be stupid... Im not saying dont get either... im saying those two for Blanton... ok.... Reyes for a low spec with something of no use to us (Pena, Resop, etc).... fine.... but we cant mortgage our future to try to win it all this year.

dbroncs-abraves
05-17-2008, 08:18 PM

because we have jo-jo and dont have to give up anything like we would for anthony reyes

jdiddy24
05-17-2008, 08:19 PM
because we have jo-jo and dont have to give up anything like we would for anthony reyes

lol beat you to it...

ATLBravesfan
05-18-2008, 12:58 AM
lilli and bj mean nothing to the braves but trade bait. Giving them up for Anthony Reyes could only benefit the Braves. How do you not understand this? And why are you saying Blanton and Reyes would only benefit us this year, they are both young. Why don't you try using some common sense?

dbroncs-abraves
05-18-2008, 01:01 AM
lilli and bj mean nothing to the braves but trade bait. Giving them up for Anthony Reyes could only benefit the Braves. How do you not understand this? And why are you saying Blanton and Reyes would only benefit us this year, they are both young. Why don't you try using some common sense?

they are good trade bait u make them seem like they are bad or something anthony reyes has a career ERA of 5.41 and went 2-14 last year this guy has only upside but hasnt proved anything

jdiddy24
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM

yes they are trade bait... but they are worth so much more than Reyes. How do YOU not understand this? I never said they would only benefit us this year... i said its stupid to trade away our prospects for less than they are worth to try to win this year.

cbach110
05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
not trying to be stupid about it, but i really want your opinion on this, we all seem to be thinking about the same guy, is it logical to say that we wont sell the farm for a big name this year?

jdiddy24
05-18-2008, 06:24 PM
not trying to be stupid about it, but i really want your opinion on this, we all seem to be thinking about the same guy, is it logical to say that we wont sell the farm for a big name this year?

he hasnt been on in a week... i was waiting for him to come in here and back me up

AtlBravesfan10
05-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Blanton or Reyes would be nice. I'm loving how Campillo is stepping it up.

tcro24
05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
The Braves aren't trading for Anthony Reyes for two reasons 1) he sucks and 2) he doesn't provide what the Braves need from a 4th starter: consistency. Maddux fits that bill nicely and should come relatively cheap because he'll probably retire after this season. I'm most intrigued by Oswalt. He would be a big boost not only in '08, but also '09 after Smoltz and Glavine hang 'em up. I don't know if the Braves will be willing to give up enough to get him, though.

BarnDAWG
05-22-2008, 03:46 PM
The Braves aren't trading for Anthony Reyes for two reasons 1) he sucks and 2) he doesn't provide what the Braves need from a 4th starter: consistency. Maddux fits that bill nicely and should come relatively cheap because he'll probably retire after this season. I'm most intrigued by Oswalt. He would be a big boost not only in '08, but also '09 after Smoltz and Glavine hang 'em up. I don't know if the Braves will be willing to give up enough to get him, though.

Braves have been heavily scouting Reyes heavily while Maddux is only a rumor and Oswalt is barely speculation. I'd do some research before making such definitive statements.

Anthony Reyes (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/05/braves-angels-s.html)

Joe Smoe
05-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Personally I think the Braves Scouts and FW are always willing to look at anything that could help the team, without killing the farm and payroll. I would hate to see the Braves pay to much for Reyes. I just don't find faith in his stats. We have better in our system right now.

I would love to see a Maddux return, but, I do not think the Padres would make the stupid mistakes to make FW jump. Can you imagine the press the Braves would get, simply from having Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux in Braves Uniforms. I think another team would be willing to make a far better offer then the Braves.

Oswalt would cost way to much during midseason via Astros. Further he is having a off year. They are only 1.5 games out of 1st. Way too early to trade a major peice of a team.

Freddy Garcia will be having auditions soon, I doubt he will have much left in the tank.

I think we roll with what we have got. We can only get better in the Pen, although I like what we have right now. Cox spoke of depth this year. I am starting to believe!!

jdiddy24
05-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Personally I think the Braves Scouts and FW are always willing to look at anything that could help the team, without killing the farm and payroll. I would hate to see the Braves pay to much for Reyes. I just don't find faith in his stats. We have better in our system right now.

I would love to see a Maddux return, but, I do not think the Padres would make the stupid mistakes to make FW jump. Can you imagine the press the Braves would get, simply from having Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux in Braves Uniforms. I think another team would be willing to make a far better offer then the Braves.

Oswalt would cost way to much during midseason via Astros. Further he is having a off year. They are only 1.5 games out of 1st. Way too early to trade a major peice of a team.

Freddy Garcia will be having auditions soon, I doubt he will have much left in the tank.

I think we roll with what we have got. We can only get better in the Pen, although I like what we have right now. Cox spoke of depth this year. I am starting to believe!!

but he wont play for many teams (Cubs and Braves) so that kind of hinders the Padres leverage.

tcro24
05-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Braves have been heavily scouting Reyes heavily while Maddux is only a rumor and Oswalt is barely speculation. I'd do some research before making such definitive statements.

Anthony Reyes (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/05/braves-angels-s.html)

The Braves have been scouting the Cardinals which could mean any number of things, not just Reyes. Reyes makes no sense for the Braves. Use your brain, don't just regurgitate something you read in someone's MLB Notes Blog.

hammerinhank
05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
The Braves have been scouting the Cardinals which could mean any number of things, not just Reyes. Reyes makes no sense for the Braves. Use your brain, don't just regurgitate something you read in someone's MLB Notes Blog.

Yeah maybe there scouting Pujols..... Who else do you think they are scouting???

braves790
05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Didn't the Cardinals send Reyes down?

tcro24
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah maybe there scouting Pujols..... Who else do you think they are scouting???

First, the article referred to was written before Greg Norton was acquired so they could have been looking at Ludwick or Schumaker to strengthen the bench. Maybe Jason LaRue if they feel Corky Miller is not a long term option. Maybe Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse or Joel Piniero, they all make just as much sense as Anthony Reyes. I don't know, and don't presume to know who they were looking at and I don't think Joe Strauss of the Post Dispatch does either. What I do know is giving up prospects to get Anthony Reyes when you already have Jo Jo Reyes, Jeff Bennett, Jorge Campillo and Buddy Carlyle is a stupid thing to do. Frank Wren and John Schuerholz are not stupid.

BarnDAWG
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Young pitching always makes sense and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. I was simply stating that you speak as if you have some kind of inside knowledge. "Braves aren't trading for Anthony Reyes." I'll take the word of Tim Dierkes (one of the more trusted bloggers who actually DOES have inside info) and Joe Strauss (who makes a living by writing about and analyzing St.Louis sports) over the all-knowing tcro.

bigmj
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Young pitching always makes sense and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. I was simply stating that you speak as if you have some kind of inside knowledge. "Braves aren't trading for Anthony Reyes." I'll take the word of Tim Dierkes (one of the more trusted bloggers who actually DOES have inside info) and Joe Strauss (who makes a living by writing about and analyzing St.Louis sports) over the all-knowing tcro.

Tim Dierkes (MLB Trade Rumors) site is full of good stuff...he is legendary, and he does have a little inside info.

tcro24
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM

First "Braves aren't trading for Anthony Reyes" is my opinion, A-Hole. Second, trading for a pitcher just because he young is stupid if he can't get people out, which is what Reyes has had trouble with. Third, I don't give a ***** if it's Tim Dierks or Joe Strauss or God himself, if something doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. Your beloved guys with inside information are wrong all the time but they still lead pups like you around by the nose. Think for yourself and don't rely on Joe Strauss to put two and two together for you.

BarnDAWG
05-23-2008, 10:53 AM
All I've said is that we're looking at Reyes. Nothing more. It doesn't make sense to you becuase, well, you're not very smart. Chill with the insults as I've been pretty straight forward and presented my case without resorting to fifth grade tactics. If you present your opinion as concrete fact, then someone is going to call out.

tcro24
05-23-2008, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=BarnDAWG;5267539]All I've said is that we're looking at Reyes. Nothing more. It doesn't make sense to you becuase, well, you're not very smart. Chill with the insults as I've been pretty straight forward and presented my case without resorting to fifth grade tactics. If you present your opinion as concrete fact, then someone is going to call out.[/QUOTE

I do know how to spell, so obviously I'm ahead of you. I'm also smart enough to form my own opinions and not rely on someone else. You've been sarcastic with your argument which makes you an A-Hole. And you have no more concrete fact that the Braves have ever looked expressly at Reyes than I do in saying they won't trade for him. You just speak someone else's comment. At least I put my opinion out there. If you aren't capable of realizing an opinion, then you're the one that's just not very smart.

P.S. if I need to misspell a few words so you can understand it, let me know and I'll repost.

BarnDAWG
05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Good point, I had 1 typographical error in series of posts. All of my points should therefore be nullified.

CrippledRam
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
The A's are willing to deal, with pitching considered the surplus. Billy Beane might be able to snag one good prospect for Rich Harden.
MLBTR

I'd send Brandon Jones for him. If he stays healthy it's a steal. If not, we don't really need Jones.

bigmj
05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Quit *****ing, this is about the Braves. Lets get back to winning the NL East

jdiddy24
05-23-2008, 05:31 PM
MLBTR

I'd send Brandon Jones for him. If he stays healthy it's a steal. If not, we don't really need Jones.

a trade like that would be good.... BJ and maybe a low A spec and throw in Thorman or Pena.... he isnt making much ($4.5M this year and a $7M club option next season w/ no buyout) and would be worth the risk if he stays healthy and would be a steal at $7M if healthy

jmtapia
05-23-2008, 06:32 PM
MLBTR

No thanks on Harden. Sure he has amazing stuff but i think the Braves have learned from Hampton. Injured pitchers usually remain injured. There just seems to be an injury bug on some guys. Harden has already visited the DL this season. The injury has always been the same "right shoulder strain". Never anything else like a back spasm, or pulled hamstring or anything.

Just just go after the safe pick in Joe Blanton.

The guy has chronic "right shoulder strain" and is not worth our arguable top trading chip.

jdiddy24
05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
No thanks on Harden. Sure he has amazing stuff but i think the Braves have learned from Hampton. Injured pitchers usually remain injured. There just seems to be an injury bug on some guys. Harden has already visited the DL this season. The injury has always been the same "right shoulder strain". Never anything else like a back spasm, or pulled hamstring or anything.

The guy has chronic "right shoulder strain" and is not worth our arguable top trading chip.

yea but Harden might cost less than Blanton and his contract is up at the end of the season with a buyout-less $7M club option... worth the risk if its just BJ.

jmtapia
05-23-2008, 09:29 PM
yea but Harden might cost less than Blanton and his contract is up at the end of the season with a buyout-less $7M club option... worth the risk if its just BJ.

lol...just BJ. BJ is a solid looking prospect who IMO would be more valuable as our LF of the future, hope he develops, then trade him for something big when our other young OF are ready.

jdiddy24
05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
lol...just BJ. BJ is a solid looking prospect who IMO would be more valuable as our LF of the future, hope he develops, then trade him for something big when our other young OF are ready.

I said "just BJ" as in just him and no other major piece... he is not the LF of our future and by the time he is ready he might play one season before he is shipped out... Im wanting to resign Kotsay for LF next season and then Shafer in CF.... getting a pitcher of Harden's value for so cheap right now would be a steal.

CrippledRam
05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I said "just BJ" as in just him and no other major piece... he is not the LF of our future and by the time he is ready he might play one season before he is shipped out... Im wanting to resign Kotsay for LF next season and then Shafer in CF.... getting a pitcher of Harden's value for so cheap right now would be a steal.

I'd make trade today. Harden looked great last night. Worth the risk to me.

jdiddy24
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM

ouch ... looking back Id say Jdiddy was right again....

jdiddy24
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM

this is the kind of post I was looking for... I just read that the Cardinals traded Anthony Reyes July 26th to the Cleveland Indians for minor league RHP Luis Perdomo (class A for most of the season, just promoted to AA). So like I said... trading Brandon Jones and Lilli for him wouldve been stupid... he sucks and was traded for a Low-a player

jmtapia
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
ouch ... looking back Id say Jdiddy was right again....

:clap:

jdiddy24
07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
:clap:

thank you, thank you... luckily i am used to this feeling.