PDA

View Full Version : 08/09 General Euro Basketball News, Rumors and Discussion

JWalk126
05-14-2008, 06:38 AM
the Season is coming to an end, but there are rumors starting to brew about signings for next season....

Krepsinis.net reports that Žalgiris's potential news investors MG Baltic are looking at the contracts of Lithuanin players playing abroad. They are negotiating Robertas Javtokas whose contract runs out this summer. It would really good to see more money invested in the club.

What other players they might be looking at? Jasaitis, Seibutis, Kavaliauskas, Klimavicius? They obviously can't afford to sign stars like Šiška or Macas.

arlubas has reported that Jeremiah Massey may be going to Real Madrid

Maccabi Tel Aviv are interested in Hollis Price as a possible replacement for Vonteego Cummings.

Dejan Milojevic is attracting interest of Russian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian clubs.

TAU and Valencia are interested in former Olympiakos player, Marc Jackson.

TAU is also looking to recruit a player from the Greek A1, from a team that has been knocked out of the play-offs, especially a guard to fill for Planinic and Rakocevic.

Aris' Greek SG Eliades' names has come up...

On other news Gershon confirmed that he has plenty of offers in his hands but ruled out Russia and Israel as his next career stop. He will probably sign with a team from Spain, Italy or France.

as reported on "ONE - Israel's Top Sports Portal" and "Sport5", Sharon Druker and David Blatt are the main candinates to replace Zvika Sherf.

JWalk126
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Source: EuroBasket

It seems that one of the key players of Spanish team Pamesa Valencia, Dejan Milojevic (200-F-77, agency: Beo Basket), most probably will continue his career in one of Eastern countries. Some of the best teams from Lithaunia, Ukraine and Russia showed serious interest for Milojevic's service.

The player has an additional optional year in contract with Pamesa, but it s already unofficially announced that he will leave the club despite very good second part of the season in Spanish ACB league. During his career Milojevic won many titles with Buducnost Podrogica and Partizan Belgrade. He also received enormous number of awards in Euroleague, Serbia and Montenegro and Adriatic league since 2000. Milojevic is member of Pamesa Valencia since sumer 2006.

JWalk126
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
TAU Ceramica and Pamesa are both interested in Marc Jackson who was released by Olympiacos earlier this season. Panagiotis Yannakis did not like the attitude of the player and let him go. TAU Ceramica is looking for a player to help them in ACB playoffs.

Marc Jackson averaged 15.1 points and 6 rebounds per game in 20 Euroleague matches.

There are also rumours that TAU Ceramica is keeping an eye on another Greek A1 player. Savvas Iliadis of Aris is thought to be one of the main names that the club is interested in.

JWalk126
05-15-2008, 03:38 PM
according to Sport5 (May 11th), Malaga are talking to Garbajosa about leaving the NBA. the team is hoping that since he barely got to play, he will consider it even more... theyre giving him until June to give them an answer

StopBanningMe
05-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I doubt that will happen^,he was playing 28.5 mpg in the 2006-2007 season,but last year he missed almost all of the season.

JWalk126
05-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I doubt that will happen.

ditto, just thought it was an interesting rumor

I had read somewhere that Jeremiah Massey might be close to signing with CSKA Moscow, as oppose being already signed with Real Madrid.... but we wont know for sure until later

EDIT: and other than Maccabi, Dynamo Moscow is also known to be interested in Hollis Price

jtrinaldi
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
is this the league ersan illyasova is in if it is how is he doing. He's a former buck.

Rival.
05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Roko Ukic is supposedly being brought to the NBA next year.

JWalk126
05-17-2008, 03:07 PM
From TalkBasket.net

Theo Papaloukas on his way out of CSKA Moscow?

Greek star point guard Theodoros Papaloukas could be leaving CSKA Moscow this summer. The best paid player in the history European basketball with 10.5 million Euros for three years spent six seasons in Moscow. He won Euroleague twice and was named MVP in 2006-2007 season.

Papaloukas attracted the interest of many NBA clubs last summer but he stayed in Moscow. The new contract offer was too good to refuse.

The favourite to sign Theo Papaloukas is his former club Greek giants Olympiakos. According to El Mundo Deportive The Reds are willing to offer him the same contract as he has with CSKA Moscow.

and more about Jeremiah Massey & Moscow

Since Aris decided to sell Jeremiah Massey some of the top clubs expressed the interest in him. According to Greek website Sport-FM, he is very close to a move to the Euroleague winners CSKA Moscow. The richest club in Europe is competing with Real Madrid, TAU Ceramica and Dynamo Moscow for the signature of Aris' American star.

It is though that Jeremiah Massey would take the place of Marcus Goree at CSKA Moscow.

JWalk126
05-17-2008, 03:08 PM
is this the league ersan illyasova is in if it is how is he doing. He's a former buck.

are you referring to Spain or Europe?

JWalk126
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Valdemoro Returns To Ros Casares

FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_ItGaQW2XHWEpbQb-uwPkP0.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html)

Ros Casares announced Friday that the club had signed EuroBasket 2007 MVP Amaya Valdemoro on a two-year contract.

Valdemoro, the most famous women's player ever to hail from Spain, spent the last two seasons at CSKA Moscow but suffered a huge disappointment when her team failed to win the EuroLeague Women.

At her unveiling in Valencia, Valdemoro, who played for Ros Casares for four seasons before leaving for Russia, said: "This is a special time to return to Valencia where I shed so many tears when I left.

"I left to win the EuroLeague, something which I have not achieved in Russia and an aim which I have not given up on here.

"Ros Casares is the best team possible to take the EuroLeague Women title away from the Russian teams."

Spartak Moscow Region beat Valdemoro's CSKA in the semi-finals of last year's EuroLeague before beating Ros in the title game.

This season, Spartak defeated UMMC Ekaterinburg at the Final Four in Brno before beating hosts Gambrinus in the championship game.

"I return home to fight for the EuroLeague," Valdemoro said.

"For me, it was the best possible situation.

"Ros Casares will have the chance to fight for a European title, to compete against the Russian teams and that, for an ambitious player like me, is basic."

Valdemoro could have joined numerous clubs but in the end, the ambition of Ros Casares won out.

General manager Carme Lluveras said: "It has been very difficult to get Amaya Valdemoro to come here, but I think she has realized that Ros Casares can also compete to try and make the leap in the EuroLeague Women. We are delighted with her signing."

Ros Casares believed they had assembled a team this season that could win the European title but Manolo Real's squad lost in three games to Gambrinus, including a decider at La Fonteta.

The club just celebrated winning its third domestic title of this season, however, by adding a Liga Femenina crown to the Super Cup and Copa de la Reina triumphs.

Ros Casares have already confirmed that Valdemoro's fellow Spain internationals and good friends Elisa Aguilar and Laia Palau, USA international DeLisha Milton-Jones and Brazil national team star Erika de Souza will play in the 2008-09 campaign.

But former Spanish international Noemi Jordana will not continue at the club after six campaigns wearing the Ros Casares colours.

Additionally, Serbian international Miljana Musovic has agreed to part company with the team. Musovic, who had one year left on her contract with the Valencia outfit, played last season on loan at B Olesa Espanyol.

JWalk126
05-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Lietuvos Rytas fires Aleksandar Trifunovic

Lietuvos Rytas general manager Jonas Vainauskas confirmed that Aleksandar Trifunovic and his assistant Ivan Jeremic were fired. The club decided not to renew the contract with coaching staff after losing three different title finals (LKF Cup, BBL and LKL). Trifunovic has been in charge since last spring.

Lithuanian basketball legend Rimas Kurtinaitis has confirmed that he received an offer from Rytas to take head coach position. Kurtinaitis is now working in Poland as a head coach of Wroclaw. He is considered to be the main favourite to replace Aleksandar Trifunovic.

According to various rumours Ramunas Butautas (head coach of Lithuanian national team), Robertas Kuncaitis and Jonas Kazlauskas are the other names on the list.

JWalk126
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
According to Israeli media, Maccabi made an offer for David Blatt. Current head coach Zvika Sherf is likely to leave the team at the end of the season. Blatt, who has also been linked with Barcelona, has already worked at Maccabi as an assitant coach under Pini Gershon. David Blatt won Eurobasket 2007 with Russia national team.

If the agreement is not reached, another Israeli coach is mentioned as a potential candidate. Sharon Drucker who worked this season in Belgium could be the second on the list for the head coach position of the Yellows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to ONE - Israel's Top Sports Portal, Vonteego Cummings, Maccabi Tel-Aviv PG, wants to stay in the yellow jersey next season. Despite a disappointing season, the PG wants to stay in Maccabi and promise that he can show much better performances next season.

"I really know nothing about the next seaon, but I'll be glad to stay in Maccabi and prove my ability. I hope that the coach will keep me here, but I will understand if not", said Cummings while he went to an optician to check his eyesight

JWalk126
05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
CSKA Moscow extended contracts with two of their key players. Trajan Langdon, who was named MVP of Euroleague Final Four signed 2+1 contract. He will stay at the club till the end of 2009/2010 and will have an opportunity to renew his contract for one more year. Langdon himself was delighted to have signed a new contract.

Slovenian forward Matjaz Smodis signed 3+1 contract. He was linked with a couple of top European clubs but decided to stay at arguably the strongest team in Europe.

Coach Ettore Messina, who also signed a new contract, is delighted that the club extended contracts with Langdon and Smodis.

TalkBasket.net

JWalk126
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Source: TalkBasket.net

Real Madrid made a huge step forward to the next season after they grabbed the forward, Jermiah Massey, who played in the last three seasons in Aris Saloniki, that lost the EL card next season. Massey scored 17 points and grabed 8.4 reb in 20 games in the Eurolegue. Jeremiah Massey signed three-year contract with Los Blancos.

CSKA tried to sign Massey few dayes earlier, but after they re-signed Smodis, they decided not to finish the process away.

source: EUROLEAGUE.net

Real Madrid has already begun its preparations for next season and beyond with the announcement that power forward Jeremiah Massey has signed a three-year deal with the club. In a press release Wednesday, Madrid announced that Massey (2.02, 25) will play for the team from the Spanish capital through 2011. Massey arrives from Greek side Aris TT Bank, where he has been one of the most dominant players in the Euroleague over the past two seasons. Last year he led the competition in index ranking (21) and rebounding (8.4 rpg.) and finished second in scoring (17 ppg.).

"Massey is a very complete player, because he can be very productive on offense, is solid in defense, a strong rebounder and a good team player," general manager Alberto Herreros said. "He is a man with great physical gifts and arrives at Real Madrid after a great season with Aris in the Euroleague, where he was chosen as the best player of the week several times, averaging some very good statistics. We are very happy with this signing since the player received several offers from very important and different clubs and finally decided to join Real Madrid."

JWalk126
05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Source to all articles: TalkBasket.net

Where will Quinton Hosley go?

According to some sources in Turkey, Quinton Hosley (24, 2.01), the MVP of the TBL, is between Efes Pilsen and Maccabi. Karsiyaka's last season player is wanted by big teams to the upcoming season after he lead his team to the Playoff with 23.2 points and 11.3 reb per game in a small forward position.

He's best game was over Fener/Ulker with 43 points and won by hugh gap the voting to the MVP. Hosley can play in bot Forward positins.

No doubt that Hosley will be in the highest level next season, but the qustion is where

Marius Prekevicius moves to Vilnius

Yet another key player left Siauliai to sign with Lietuvos rytas. Marius Prekevicius signed 3-year contract with Lithuanian league runners-up. 24-year-old guard averaged 10.1 points and 2.3 assists per game in Siauliai. The future of Rytas's point guards is not 100% clear. Jarred Jordan will be leaving the club for sure.

Hollis Price is linked with some top European clubs. Even though Hollis Price recently declared his wish to stay in Vilnius next season, there are more chances to see him wearing a jersey of another team.

Roberts Stelmahers still has a question mark next to his name. He has been hit with injuries for the most time during the last two season

Marko Popovic would like to stay in Kaunas

According to Infosport.lt, Zalgiris point guard Marko Popovic would like to stay in Kaunas. 26-year-old Croatian spent two years in Lithuania. His contract expires this summer andhere is no doubt that Popovic will receive some serious offers from European clubs. But if Zalgiris can match offers of other teams, Marko gives priority to the Greens.

He is still unsure where he will be playing next year but guaranteed that it won't be his homeland. Popovic hopes to sign a new contract before the Olympic Qualifying Tournament where he will be representing Croatia.

Marko Popovic called his two seasons in Zalgiris as the best years of his career. The fans' favourite felt like he was playing at home. There was even an online petition started by Zalgiris fans where everyone could sign for the stay of "Popo" at the club.

JWalk126
05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Will Zvika Sherf continue in Maccabi?

The coach spot in Maccabi, the Israeli basketball powerhouse, seems to be the most unsure for next season. Current coach, Zvika Sherf, who replaced coach Oded Katash at midseason, taking the yellows to the Euroleague final, might not be on the sidelines next year.

Voices from inside the club tell of bad relationships between some players and the coach. So is the story of the 23 years old Maccabi’s forward Lior Eliyahu. The player who averaged 10 ppg and 5.3 rpg in 21 minutes last season under Spahija and considered to be one of the promising talents in Europe fell to 3.8 ppg in only 10 minutes.

In an interview of Lior’s brother to “Maariv” daily newspaper he told about Lior’s feelings and the player’s relationships with the coach. It all began in the summer when, during the Israel national team games Lior asked for a permission to leave the national team in order to join his brother’s wedding. At start coach Sherf refused to send Lior but after some pressure of veteran players such as Tapiro and Kozikaro coach Sherf was willing to let him join his brother wedding. “From this point on” says Lior’s brother “everything changed”. Lior’s brother claims that Zvika is abusing Lior by saying in some team practice: “I expect several things of each and every one of you guys, besides Lior who I usually screw up”. Lior’s brother keeps on telling about the other cases of Sherf throwing Lior out of practices and humiliating him in front of the players and media.

Taking into account the last loses of Maccabi in the Israeli domestic league and other voices who are telling about bad relations between Zvika and the players (such is Tal Burstein case) it’s not sure whether we will see Zvika in Maccabi next season, names of Drucker, Gershon and Blatt are in the air.

So who will coach Maccabi next year? The answer will be known in short time but the most sure thing is that we won’t see both Lior and Sherf in the same team.

JWalk126
05-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Olympiacos extends Vasilopoulos through 2012

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32344/180/item)

Olympiacos has announced a new agreement with forward Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, who has extended his contract for four more years until the end of the 2011-12 season. The announcement took place just hours before the do-or-die Greek League semifinals game against Maroussi. Vasilopoulos (202, 24) grew up with Iraklis Pyrgou and moved to PAOK, where he played from 2001 to 2005 before joining Olympiacos. He has averaged 6.8 points and 2.7 rebounds in 18 Euroleague games this season, boosting his numbers up to 8.8 points and 3.1 rebounds in the Greek League so far. Vasilopoulos is a regular member of the Greek national team, as he won the gold medal at EuroBasket 2005 and reached the 2006 World Championships final. Vasilopoulos also won respective bronze medals at the 2002 European Under-18 Championship and the 2003 World Under-18 Championship. "Olympiacos helped me to become what I am today. It is my team and one of the best in Europe. To me, it is the best club and little by little, we will reach vert high, I am sure of that," Vasilopoulos said to the club's official website. "Coach Panagiotis Giannakis has helped me a lot in my career since the first moment I met him. He believes in me and I see what he wants from me and the team. Of course, he was a main factor in my decision".

Trifunovic leaves amid big changes at Lietuvos Rytas

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32349/180/item)

Lietuvos Rytas has confirmed that Aleksandar Trifunovic will not be its head coach next season. L. Rytas opted not to extend Trifunovic and assistant coach Ivan Jeremic, who finish their respective contracts this summer. Trifunovic arrived in Vilnius at the start of the 2006-07 season as assistant coach of Zmago Sagadin. He was promoted to head coach on February 2007 and immediately helped the team to win the Baltic League title, as well as reaching both the Lithuanian League and the ULEB Cup finals. This season, Trifunovic could not lead L. Rytas to win any title, and lost all three domestic finals - Lithuanian Cup, Baltic League and Lithuanian League - against archrivals Zalgiris Kaunas. L. Rytas has confirmed as many as 12 players under contract for next season: Mindaugas Lukauskis, Marijonas Petravicius, Arturas Jomantas, Michailas Anisimovas, Martynas Gecevicius, Chuck Eidson, Matt Nielsen, Andrius Slezas, Robert Stelmahers, Simas Buterlevicius and Lukas Brazdauskis. Jackson Vroman, Hollis Price and Jared Jordan are set to leave the club, while Kenan Bajramovic is still negotiating with the team. Moreover, general manager Jonas Vainauskas has resigned and has already been replaced by Martynas Purlys. Vainauskas led the team to the 2005 ULEB Cup crown and the 2007 ULEB Cup final, as well as reaching the Euroleague Top 16 in two appearances in the competition.

JWalk126
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM

Russina league bronze medalists and 3rd place winners in ULEB Cup made a serious offer for Unicaja head coach Sergio Scariolo. El Mundo Deportivo reports that the contract would be the best in Scariolo's career so far. Plus he would have free hands to control the team. Malaga Unicaja are not so keen on letting Sergi Scariolo go.

Unicaja will be making a contract offer to keep the Italian coach for one more season.

Barcelona and Armani Jeans Milano are also interested in Scariolo's services. Barca will not bring Ettore Messina but they are looking for another high profile coach. Meanwhile Armani Jeans secured a place in Euroleague for the next season. The club is looking to build a stronger team next year

according to Sport5 (Israel) Dynamo Moscow, Barcelona and Milano are also interested in the hunt for Coach David Blatt, but Barca cant sign Blatt due to a rule restricting coaches of National teams from coaching in the ACB (Spanish League)

JWalk126
05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Spanish clubs want Darjus Lavrinovic

Several Spanish clubs are interested in Lithuanian national team member Darjus Lavrinovic. According to lrytas.lt TAU Ceramica, Barcelona and Pamesa want to sign him. Darjus Lavrinovic said that it is just a small piece of offers that he received from many basketball countries in Europe.

His twin brother Ksistof is playing for Montepaschi. When moving to Italy he said that next year he'll play with his brother. That is still a possibility.

Darjus Lavrinovic will move to Italy to continue his rehabilitation after a surgery. He is likely to miss the Olympics.

Spanish media reports that Jonas Maciulis is targeted by TAU Ceramica. Maciulis could replace another Lithuanian Simas Jasaitis.

JWalk126
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Source: EuroBasket.com

Dirk Bauermann will step back from his position as a Headcoach of the Brose Baskets Bamberg (1. Bundesliga), the club announced on its website today. In the future Bauermann is going to work as the Headcoach of the German National Team only and agreed to a 5-year-contract with the German Basketball Federation. He came to Bamberg in 2001 and won two German championship-titles with the team (2005 and 2007). Also, he helped to establish Bamberg as one of the finest basketball-programs in Germany. His team dropped out of the Bundesliga-Playoffs in the quarterfinals on Friday after being defeated by Oldenburg 3:1 in the series.

JWalk126
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Three players could leave Lietuvos rytas

We might see totally different Lietuvos rytas next season. According to Krepsinis magazine, Mindaugas Lukauskis, Andrius Slezas and Roberts Stelmahers are likely to leave the club. Departure of Stelmahers and Slezas might not be a big surprise after they both played little this season unlike Lukauskis who enjoyed one of the best seasons in his career.

The club has already signed three Lithuanians: Donatas Zavackas, Marius Prekevicius and Steponas Babrauskas. Mindaugas Katelynas from Armani Jeans Milano is very close to joining the club according to rytasbasket.com

Lietuvos rytas will have a new coach after Aleksandar Trifunovic's contract has not been renewed. Three Lithuanian coaches are named as the main favourites: Jonas Kazlauskas who is now coaching China national team, Ramunas Butautas, head coach of Lithuania national team and ASK Riga and Rimas Kurtinaitis, head coach of Wroclaw. Then new coach is expected to be announced at the beginning of June.

Hollis Price is also very close to leaving the club. Lietuvos rytas might not be able to match the offers of the likes of Maccabi to the American point guard. There are already some players rumoured to be the targets of the club. They are: Omar Cook (Red Star), Milt Palacio (Partizan), Scoonie Penn (Efes Pilsen) and Milos Vujanic (Dynamo Moscow).

JWalk126
05-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Kurtinaitis won't coach Lietuvos rytas
Source: Eurobasket.com

Unofficial sources say that Rimas Kurtinaitis won't coach Vilnius Lietuvos rytas. Kurtiniaits will stay for next season in Wroclaw Slack. The team from Vilnius had shown interest in this coach before the end of the season. Other candidates to coach Lietuvos rytas now are Ramunas Butautas and Jonas Kazlauskas . The new coach in the Lietuvos rytas team will replace previous head coach Aleksandar Trifunovic .

JWalk126
05-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Stanko Barac returns to Tau Ceramica
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32503/180/item)

One of the most promising centers in European basketball is set to make his Euroleague debut next season, as Stanko Barac is back to Tau Ceramica after a season elsewhere. Barac (217, 22) signed a five-year contract with Tau last summer but was sent on loan to Pamesa Valencia without making his official debut with the team. Barac averaged 6.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 14 ULEB Cup games this season, helping Pamesa to reach the Final Eight. One of his best games of the season came against Tau, as Barac had 13 points and 9 rebounds in a 74-76 losing effort. Among the highlights in his young career are winning the 2006 Bosnian Cup and 2007 Bosnian championship, as well as being a member of the Croatian national team at EuroBasket 2007.

JWalk126
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Antanas Sireika is the new coach of Lietuvos rytas

None of the coaches that were named as the main candidates will join Rytas. The club made a quite surprising move and signed former Zalgiris and Lithuania national team head coach Antanas Sireika. The coach signed 1+2 contract with Lietuvos rytas. Sireika was also linked with his former club Siauliai.
Antanas Sireika comes from Russia where he was working as an advisor at Unics Kazan. He admitted to lrytas.lt that he had offers from other teams but wished to return to Lithuania. Sireika was a bit surprised when he received the offer as he wasn't among the candidates in the press.

Aris interested in Aleksandar Trifunovic

Andrea Mazzon might not make a return to Thessaloniki. Italian coach is still negotiating the terms of a compensation for breaking the contract. The process is taking some time and the club is already looking at other coaches. Aleksandar Trifunovic, who was fired by Lietuvos rytas, is the main candidate after Mazzon.

Christos Charissis could play for Aris next season. He didn't get much playing time at Prokom Trefl since Tomas Pacesas took over as a head coach.

Giorgos Kalaitzis is expected to be released by the club.

Another player who might join the Yellows is Giorgos Tsiaras from another Greek club Olympia.

TalkBasket.net

JWalk126
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
L. Rytas tabs Sireika as coach
Source: ULEB (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/32624/448/item)

A well-respected, veteran coach is set to return to the ULEB Cup, as Lietuvos Rytas has announced that Antanas Sireika inked a one-year deal with the Lithuanian powerhouse, with a team option to extend the contract until the end of the 2010-11 season. Sireika, age 52, arrives from Unics Kazan, as he started the season as the team's head coach before becoming president advisor. He has helped Unics to reach both the Russian League and the Russian Cup finals, as well as playing the ULEB Cup semifinals against eventual champion Real Madrid. Sireika has also coached Siauliai, Zalgiris Kaunas and the Lithuanian national team. He helped Zalgiris to win back-to-back Lithuanian League titles in 2004 and 2005, also lifted the Baltic League trophy in 2005, as well as leading Lithuania to get the gold medal at EuroBasket 2003. He also won an Olympic bronze medal with Lithuania in Sydney 200 as his national team's assistant coach. Sireika replaces Aleksandar Trifunovic, who left the team last week.

Ermal Kuqo joins Pamesa Valencia
Source: ULEB (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/32514/448/item)

Pamesa Valencia has taken its first step for its ULEB Cup return in the 2008-09 season by inking center Ermal Kuqo to a two-year deal. Kuqo (207, 28) arrives from Efes Pilsen, where he has played for the last five years. He averaged 8.8 points on 41.9% three-pointers and 3.3 rebounds in 20 Euroleague games this season. Kuqo boosted his scoring average to 11.5 points in the Turkish League regular season and to 12.1 points in the Turkish League playoffs. He has helped Efes to win back-to-back Turkish League titles in 2004 and 2005, as well as lifting consecutive Turkish Cup trophies in 2006 and 2007. Kuqo has also played for Pivovarna Lasko in Slovenia, Split in Croatia, as well as for Fenerbahce in Turkey. He is also a regular member of the Turkish national team despite being the only Albanian that ever played in the Euroleague. As such, Kuqo returns to the ULEB Cup after a five-year absence. He averaged 9.3 points and 6.2 rebounds in the 2002-03 season, when Pamesa Valencia became the original ULEB Cup champion. Pamesa qualified for the 2008-09 ULEB Cup by finishing fifth in the regular season and sixth overall in the Spanish League.

JWalk126
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
'Aito' leaves Joventut bench, assistant promoted
Source: EuroLeague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32595/180/item)

Aito Garcia Reneses, among the most respected coaches in pro basketball, resigned from the bench of ULEB Cup champion DKV Joventut in a surprise announcement Tuesday. He will be replaced by his assistant of three seasons, Sito Alonso. The announcements came at a press conference in the club's headquarters in Badalona, Spain. The 61-year-old Aito, as generations of fans know him, led Joventut to one of the most successful seasons in club history, winning both the Spanish King's Cup and the ULEB Cup titles, as well as reaching the Spanish League semifinals. The ULEB Cup victory qualified Joventut for the 2008-09 Euroleague. In five seasons with Joventut since 2003, his second stint with the club, Aito helped Joventut to win the FIBA EuroCup in 2006, as well as reaching the Spanish King's Cup final in 2004 and the Spanish League semifinals in each of the last three years. A trailblazing coach whose innovations were copied all over the continent, Aito introduced deep rotations to Spanish basketball while also bringing up dozens of young talents such as Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez and Ricky Rubio. Aito started his coaching career at Circulo Catolico Badalona, reaching the Korac Cup semifinals in 1979. He coached Joventut to the 1985 Spanish league finals before joining Barcelona, where he won nine Spanish League championships, four Spanish King's Cups, two Saporta Cups and two Korac Cups in 15 seasons with the club. He also reached Euroleague finals in 1990, 1996 and 1997. Alonso has coached since the age of 11 in all junior categories in Spain. He joined Joventut in 2005 after having coached in Spain's fourth division for eight seasons.

For Press Conference Comments, click on the Source

JWalk126
05-31-2008, 01:49 PM
TalkBasket.net

Maccabi Tel Aviv announced tonight that Nikola Vujcic is a free agent due the high task to his salary.

David Federman, Maccabi's director said,that this announcement does't mean that Vujcic will leave Maccabi, and if he will decide to stay, he'll need to cut his salary and "our door is allways open to him".

JWalk126
06-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Vujcic to leave Maccabi Tel Aviv

Source: The Jerusalem Post

After establishing himself as one of the greatest players in Maccabi Tel Aviv's history over the last six seasons, the yellow-and-blue announced on Friday that Nikola Vujcic will be leaving the club after his contract expires this month.

"Maccabi Tel Aviv sees in Vujcic one of its greatest players, on and off the court," the announcement read. "Vujcic is loved by all at the club and we thank him deeply for everything that he has given Maccabi."

Vujcic was first signed by Tel Aviv in 2001, but was loaned out to French club Villeurbanne for the 2001/02 season and helped the club to the championship.

The following season he returned to Maccabi and played a significant role in the team's 2004 and 2005 Euroleague triumphs.

The Croatian was the first to record a triple-double in Euroleague play and was widely regarded as one of Europe's finest centers of the last decade.

Vujcic scored Maccabi Tel Aviv's final basket of the BSL Final Four with 6.5 seconds to play in the game against Hapoel Holon on Thursday night, but Malik Dixon's two points seconds later denied him one last winning shot.

JWalk126
06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Maccabi lets Vujcic option expire

After creating great memories together all decade, Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv announced with deep regret on Thursday that it had to let a contract option to keep center Nikola Vujcic for another year expire when the deadline passed at the end of the Israeli League season. "We are speechless to explain how difficult it is for us to send out this announcement," the club said in a statement. "It's impossible to describe how much we love Niko and his family. Maccabi Tel Aviv sees in Nikola Vujcic one of the greatest players ever to play for the club. His greatness is reflected not only in his wonderful ability on court, but also in his behavior and exceptional personality. Nikola Vujcic is a loveable personality adored by everybody in the club. Our great gratitude is sent to Nikola for all he has done for Maccabi. We had the honor to be his friends. Maccabi Tel Aviv hopes that Nikola Vujcic and his family will stay connected to the club in the future as well."

Vujcic just completed seven seasons under contract with Maccabi, the first of those on loan, during which both club and player enjoyed unparalleled success. In the six seasons that he wore the team's trademark yellow uniform, Vujcic and Maccabi won two Euroleague titles, the first club to do so in more than a decade, and finished runners-up twice more. Vujcic was named three times to the All-Euroleague First Team and twice to comepetitions second team. In the Israeli League, he won five championship titles and four national cups. Even when he was on loan from Maccabi his first season, Vujcic found success in leading Asvel Villeurbanne to the French League title.

Euroleague.net

according to some Israeli media, Panathinaikos are pursuing the possibility of signing Vujcic

JWalk126
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Source (of both articles): EuroBasket.com

Bnei HaSharon lands Shawn James

Bnei HaSharon finished another great season, and this time advanced to the third palce, which could award them a spot in the ULEB Cup qualification games next season. The club, that holds Ousmane Cisse and Cookie Belcher under contract for next season, is already on the move in the market.

Shawn James (208-F/C-83, college: Northeastern), one of the top shot blockers in the NCAA, has signed with the club for the next two seasons. James played two years in Northeastern college before moving to Duquesne last season where he averaged 12.6ppg, 6.9rpg and no less than 4.0bpg.

Effi Birnbaum expected to be the new head coach of Maccabi

After the shocking loss in the finals of the BSL, for the first time since 1993, Maccabi Tel Aviv is ready for a summer full of changes. The first change is expected to be on the lines where Zvi Sherf will clear the stage for his successor. The coach expected to take his place should be Effi Birenboim, one of the most veteran and respected coaches in Israel but a big enigma to most basketball fans outside the holy land.

Effi has coached in almost any club in Israel but Maccabi and in the past years was the biggest opposition to the eternal champs on and off the court. A few years back he spoke n a post-game press conference against the everlasting title streak of Maccabi and said things needed to be changed in order for Israeli basketball to survive. That speech was one of the initial moves that eventually led to the competition system change and the Final Four method to decide the champs.

In the past two years 'Effi', known by his first name, coached Bnei HaSharon. The club made it twice to the Final Four but lost in the semi-finals. This season Bnei was just one shot short of shocking Maccabi already in the semi's. Prior to that Bnei beat Maccabi in all three encounters during the regular season, and became the first Israeli team to do that in 40 years. In the 2006/07 season Bnei eliminated Maccabi in the semi's of the national cup to break a streak of Maccabi wins in the cup starting in 1998.

Effi has won the Israeli national cup once in the mid 1990's and reached the play off finals several times with Hapoel Jerusalem and Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Zvi Sherf could stay in Maccabi as the General Manager, a position he obtained already last year, before moving to the head coach job after Oded Kattash was fired.

JWalk126
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Blatt takes over Dynamo Moscow bench

Source: ULEBcup.com (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/32770/448/item)

David Blatt signed a two-year contract to coach Dynamo Moscow, the club announced Monday. Blatt, 49, has been one of the most successful coaches in Europe this decade and is considered in particularly high regard in Russia after leading Team Russia to the gold medal at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain. He will also guide the Russian national team, which consists of a number of his charges at Dynamo, at the upcoming Summer Olympic Games in Beijing. This will be Blatt’s second time coaching a club side in Russia after guiding Dynamo St. Petersburg to the 2005 FIBA Europe League crown. Blatt spent last season in Turkey with Efes Pilsen, but the two sides split up of mutual agreement during the season. Before that he had a string of successes in Israel and Italy. Blatt had made the Final Four in his very first season as a Euroleague head coach, 2001-02, for Maccabi Tel Aviv, with whom he also captured two Israeli League titles. Blatt later won a Euroleague trophy as assistant coach of Maccabi in 2004. Blatt moved to Benetton Treviso in 2005. In his first season in Italy, Blatt took the Italian League title. He has also won national cups in both Israel and Italy.

JWalk126
06-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Pamesa Valencia extends Ruben Douglas

Source: ULEBcup.com (http://www.ulebcup.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/32781/448/item)

Pamesa Valencia continued building its roster for the 2008-09 ULEB Cup season by signing star guard Ruben Douglas for one more year, with an option for another. Douglas (193, 28), a former ULEB Cup Final MVP, arrived in Valencia in summer of 2006 and this season helped the team to reach the Spanish League playoffs and the ULEB Cup Final Eight. Douglas not only averaged 16.2 points and 3 rebounds in 15 ULEB Cup games this season, but broke the competition's all-time single-game record for three-pointers made by hitting 9 one night against Khimki. Douglas won the 2006 ULEB Cup title with Dynamo Moscow, becoming the title-game MVP with 17 points against Aris TT Bank. He has also played for Climamio Bologna, which won its domestic title on his buzzer-beating shot in the finals, and for Panionios in Greece. Douglas has played all possible 91 games in his two seasons with Pamesa, averaging 15.2 points overall.

JWalk126
06-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Spirou Charleroi inks Sekularac, keeps Johnson

Source: ULEBcup.com (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/32774/448/item)

Belgian League champion Spirou Charleroi has started to get ready for the next 2008-09 ULEB Cup season by inking small forward Mladen Sekularac and extending playmaker Jerry Johnson. Both Johnson (183, 26) and Sekularac (203, 27) sigend respective two-year deals. Sekularac arrives from Antwerp Giants, where he has played for three seasons. He averaged 10.2 points and 2.9 rebounds last season. He has also played for Mornar and Buducnost in Montenegro, FMP Zeleznik in Serbia and Virtus Bologna in Italy. Sekularac won the Belgian Cup with the Giants in 2007 and has been a member of the Yugoslavian national team. Meanwhile, Johnson arrives in Charleroi last April and was a key factor for Spirou to win the Belgian League title, averaging 9.5 points and 3 assists in 11 games. Johnson has also played for Stade Clermontois in France, Apoel Nicosia in Cyprus, Mersin Buyuksehir in Turkey and Polphamra-Pakmet Starogard in Poland.

JWalk126
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM
CSKA tabs Viktor Keyru

EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32895/180/item)

CSKA Moscow has taken another step to put together its roster for 2008-09 by inking small forward Viktor Keyru to a one-year deal, with an option to extend it for an extra season. Keyru (200, 24) arrives from Unics Kazan, where he averaged 5.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 15 ULEB Cup games last season, helping the team to make it to the Final Eight. Keyru has also played for Dynamo St.Petersburg and Spartak Primorie in his native Russia. He helped Dynamo St. Petersburg to reach the FIBA EuroCup final four in 2006 and also made it to the Russian Cup final with Unics in 2005. Keyru has also been a member of the Russian under-20 and under-21 national team. In other CSKA news, assistant coach Evgeni Pashutin has left the team after four seasons with the team. Pashutin a former CSKA player, whose brother Zakhar still plays for the club, has become the head coach at Spartak St. Petersburg, the team where he played for from 1990 to 1993.

JWalk126
06-08-2008, 05:35 AM
TalkBasket.net

According to some sources in Italy, Slovenia and Russia, the Slovenian Power Forword\Center, Erazem Lorbek (25, 2.08) is near to sign with Maccabi Tel-Aviv, that need a replaceman to Nikola Vujcic. Lorbek is still playing in Rome (0-2 down vs. Siena) and is waiting to finish this series in order to start his preparations to the upcomming season.

erazem Lorbek is having a great season with Rome, especially in the Play-offs in "Lega A" with 16 points and 6 rebounds per game.

In the Euroleage, Lorbek was scoring 13.3 points and 5.8 rebounds per game to lead Rome in to the Top 16.

Dynamo Moscow and David Blatt want Lorbek too, but he prefers to play in the Euroleague, and Maccabi is the best option to him, this information is confirmed by Mr. Maurizio Balducci, Lorbek's agent.

JWalk126
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
EuroBasket.com

Nikola Pekovic (210-C-86) and Antonis Fotsis (210-F-81) are officially members of the Green team of Coach Obradovic. For the Serb everybody knew that he agreed with Panathinaikos four months ago and was just waiting for the official announcement from the Green management. For the Greek forward though, things were a bit different as the whole situation was quite complicated since PAnagiotis Giannakis and Olympiakos wanted quite badly the skillful player, according to some behind the scene news, Fotsis was offered by Olympiakos the same money if not more but he finally agree to go back to his 'old love' Panathinaikos. It is most certain that the next target for Panathinaikos will be the Croat experienced center Vujsic, ex player of Maccabi Tel Aviv and/or the Argentinean Carlos Delfino (199-G-82) who had a not so good season in NBA, rumors are bringing Dimitris Itoudis to the States especially for the Argentinean player

JWalk126
06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
EuroBasket.com

Krka is negotiating with Jack Ingram (207-C/F-83, college: Illinois) ex Helios who has an offer from Israel, too.
Geoplin Slovan and Rudar (B1) are negotiating with Miha Cmer (182-G-77) ex Luka Koper.

JWalk126
06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
basketdergisi.com

Milos Vujanic will be playing in Turkey next season and will not be returning to Panathinaikos. Serbian guard agreed terms with Efes Pilsen for the next season. Vujanic spent this year on loan at Dynamo Moscow. He averaged 10.5 points per game in the ULEB Cup.

JWalk126
06-13-2008, 12:02 AM
EuroBasket.com

New Croatian champion Zadar already looks forward to the next season. The most important thoughts for Zadar's management for sure is the budget. They showed strong willingness to keep head coach Aleksandar Petrovic and continue battle with Cibona for new 3-years contract with Euroleague. They made good moves last year when they signed Corey Brewer (188-G-75, college: Oklahoma) and Shammell Stallworth (197-F-80, agency: Interperformances, college: USF) but Brewer already left the team after the last game of the season. One of the biggest wishes of Zadar is their former player Marko Popovic (185-G-82, college: S.Idaho JC), whose contract with Zalgiris Kaunas has expired.

'We did not have any official negotiations but my emotions already started to work. I would be very glad to return in Zadar but Euroleague is priority to me at this moment. As I done it before when I left Zadar for Cibona it is still my main target for the next season. I want to play in the best European international competition' - said Marko Popovic.

Popovic played six Euroleague seasons in his career so far, and he spent the last two in Zalgiris Kaunas. Popovic stated that his Zalgirs wants to see him in the roster for the next season but he can not be cool when he thinks about Zadar.

'My come-back to Zadar is not excluded. It is my team and it will always be' - said Popovic.

Popovic currently practices in Zadar where he waits for June 15th when preparations of Croatian National Team will officially start. He stated that he is very motivated to play for NT in qualifications for the Olympic Games and he hopes that Croatian NT will be one of the participants in China.

JWalk126
06-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Busy Turk Telekom tabs Erdogan, Pars

ULEBcup.com

Veteran sharpshooter Serkan Erdogan signed a two-year contract with Turk Telekom on Tuesday. Erdogan arrives from Efes Pilsen. Center Asim Pars followed suit the next day, also inking a deal for two seasons.

for full Article Click Here (http://ulebcup.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/32982/448/turk-telekom-inks-serkan-erdogan)

JWalk126
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Hermann offered to play in Greece

Walter Herrmann, the current Detroit Piston confirmed to Greece’s Gazzetta newspaper that he has an offer from a Greek team. There are, of course, only two possibilities: Olympiakos and Panathinaikos.

Herrmann, who averaged 3.4 points and 1.6 rebounds per game in the Motor City, is the typical NBA player that can make a way more interesting stay in Europe than in the NBA. Serving only as a limited role player in the United States, Herrmann can firstly earn more money in Europe and secondly also play a far larger role in a very competitive championship, the Euroleague.

Kosta Perovic to Tel Aviv?

Another rumor going through the ‘boards is the return of Kosta Perovic to Europe, and more specifically to Maccabi Tel Aviv. The Serbian big man, who appeared in just seven contests with the Warriors in his entire career, has never made any impact for Golden State. Honestly, I could never understand how the Warriors could sign him: Perovic is such an atypical player for the run-and-gun team that his career was over before he even went to the States. The Euroleague is a much better fit for the 2.18m tall kid from Serbia.

Is Brezez Returning Home?

The craziest rumor is, however, the possible return of Primoz Brezec to his home country of Slovenia. Apparently, a very rich entrepreneur wants to pay Brezec’ salary while he would play for Olimpija Ljubljana. How true this is, has yet to be verified but Brezec has already stated that he won’t stay in the NBA for less than USD 3 million (about EUR 1.5 million net), a salary that top European teams like Barcelona where he is rumored to go, can pay.

Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/greece/the-nba-euro-exodus-continues/)

JWalk126
06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Vujcic to Sign with Olympiacos
Source: TalkBasket.net (http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/232/1/)

According to the sources in Greece and Israel, Nikola Vujcic (30, 2,11) will continue his career in Piraeus. Croatian star is expected to sign 2-year contract with the Greek giants. ex-Maccabi center spent 6 seasons in Israel and won Euroleague twice. Nikola Vujcic averaged 9.2 points per game in Euroleague this season.

Among the clubs fighting for the signature of a 30-year-old center Panathinaikos and Real Madrid are mentioned but it looks like Olympiacos will win this fight.
Aris Closes in on Redenovic
Source: TalkBasket.net (http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/231/1/)

Aris is close to signing serbian power-forward Ivan Radenovic. Former student of Arizona university had a good season in Akasvayu Girona, serbian NT coach Dusan Ivkovic decided to invite him for the upcoming European championship qualifications. Radenovic played in Partizan as a junior, then moved to Arizona Wildcats in 2003.
Rytas Nabs 2 Serbians
Source: TalkBasket.net (http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/230/1/)

Lietuvos rytas finished building the team by signing two Serbian players. Branko Milisavljevic signed 1-year contract with Lithuanian league runners-up. Milko Bjelica (24, 2,07) who arrives from Germany (Koln 99ers) agreed 1-year deal with a possiblity to extend the contract for another season.
Maccabi wants Perovic, Halperin to leave?
Source: TalkBasket.net (http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/227/1/)

Some sources in Serbia and Israel wrote today that Maccabi Tel-Aviv is trying so sign Kosta Perovic (23, 2.17) from Golden State Warriors. Perovic was great in his last season in the Euroleague, but allmost didn't has chances in the NBA. Two Israeli guards were named too: Raviv Limonad (22, 1.90) from LeMans and Dror Hagag (29, 1.80) from Jerusalem while Yotam Halperin seems like leaving Maccabi for Olympiacos in a huge buyout.

JWalk126
06-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Maccabi signs SF Jason Williams

EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33148/180/maccabi-signs-small-forward-jason-williams)

Maccabi Tel Aviv signed its first player for the upcoming season by adding small forward Jason Williams, who arrives from fellow Israeli club Bnei Hasharon. Williams (196, 25) signed a two-year deal with the club. He joins his coach of the past two seasons, Effi Birenboim, who took the head coaching post at Maccabi two weeks ago. Williams is an all-around player, who can defend multiple positions thanks to his combination of strength and quickness. Together with Birenboim at Bnei Hasharon, he reached the Israeli Cup final in 2007 and made two Israeli League final four appearances. In the last season, when Bnei Hasharon beat Maccabi in all three regular season games, he was the fourth-leading scorer in the league with 16.5 point per game in addition to 4.7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals, earning him All-Israeli League first team honors. He also posted 25 – including 17 in an incredible second period tear – in the playoff semifinal loss to Maccabi last month. Before joining Bnei Hasharon, he spent three years playing college basketball at UTEP.

dirk206
06-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Hermann offered to play in Greece

Kosta Perovic to Tel Aviv?

Is Brezez Returning Home?

Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/greece/the-nba-euro-exodus-continues/)

I've always liked Primo Brezec ever since he's played with the Bobcats. He had that 1 decent year and has struggled ever since to regain that form. I think it'd be better for him to go back to Europe because I'm not sure if he'll regain that confidence by sitting on a teams bench, he could get a lot of more minutes playing in Europe.

dirk206
06-17-2008, 04:13 AM
JWALK, question for you, can you tell me about a European B-ball team called the LMT RIGA Barons and how good they are. I've been trying to find info on my man JP Batista, I watched him when he played for Gonzaga, but he's fell off my radar ever since he started balling in Europe.

JWalk126
06-17-2008, 05:00 AM
to be honest, I had to google the team... they play in Latvia but play in neither the Euroleague nor the ULEB cup

I have heard of the team though, just didnt know it was Latvian

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Madrid Extend Hervelle till 2011
Source: EuroLeague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33166/180/madrid-hervelle-pen-three-year-extension)

Real Madrid and forward Axel Hervelle agreed to a three-year contract extension keeping him in the Spanish capital through 2011, the club announced Tuesday. Hervelle (205, 25) joined Madrid in 2004 and has played a central role in all the club's accomplishments since then, including winning the 2007 ULEB Cup and two Spanish League crowns. He averaged 9.3 points and 6.2 rebounds in 20 Euroleague games last season, appearing in the starting lineup 10 times. An incredibly versatile player, Hervelle was among the top 10 three-point shooters in the Euroleague with a 48.9% success rate and was tied with new teammate Jeremiah Massey for the offensive rebounding lead in the Top 16 with 20 (3.3 per game.).

"I am delighted that I am able to stay here because I'm very comfortable," Hervelle told the Real Madrid website. "I want to continue winning titles at Real Madrid. I think we're the best team in Europe. Much was said about my future, but I always said that my intention was to stay here. I think Real Madrid is the club more for me, because it meets all my expectations. Here we challenge for all titles, which for me is crucial. I am an ambitious person and so is Real Madrid."

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Wednesday (June 18th) Rumors
Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/wednesday-rumors/)

Danilo Gallinari will go to New York next year.

We have been talking about this from day one more as a joke than not, since the real reason to draft Gallinari cannot be just because his father played with the Knicks head coach back in the day, right? Oh well, look at Luke Walton: Sometimes Dad does help. Since Gallinari is in the US to work out with some teams, he also stopped in New Jersey to work out with the Nets. It looks like the Nets told Gallinari that they would certainly take him if still available when the Nets’ time to draft arrives. The Nets will choose at no. 10 in the first round, while the Knicks are sixth. One reason why the Knicks might not take Gallinari is that they are seeking some experience and might trade away the first-round pick.

Given the facts, the chance that Gallinari will be drafted by the Knicks: 2/5
Fran Vazquez will leave FC Barcelona and enter the NBA next season.

Fran was drafted by the Orlando Magic in 2005 draft. Since then, the Magic wanted to bring him over, as they have again asked him this year. Spanish website sports.es tell us that Vazquez will continue to play for FC Barcelona next season. Vazquez has a contract with the Spanish club through June 2010 with an option for another year.

So, again no Fran Vazquez in the NBA this season
Marc Gasol will leave Europe to play for the Grizzlies.

During the NBA finals, I saw Marc working out with his brother at the Staples Center. He also told reporters that the really likes it in the US and would be able to help any team on any level. Just one problem: Marc will make more money in Europe than the Grizzlies will offer him in his first season. Keep in mind that Gasol just played with a ULEB cup team and has several offers from Euroleague teams such as Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. Since he himself said that he is still “very young” in addition to the fact that he would make less money in the NBA, it is very doubtful that Marc will be seen in the NBA this upcoming season.

Chances of seeing Marc Gasol in the NBA next season: 2/5
Jorge Garbajosa will leave the Raptors and join a Euroleague team.

Another sad example how an injury can mess up your career - well, your NBA career at least. Remember Jorge’s real bad injury? This caused a lot of problems, and not only regarding the injury. As you know, the Spanish federation wanted Jorge to play at the European championship directly following the injury, while the Raptors did not agree with that decision at all. Jorge was re-injured and played only six games in this year’s NBA season.

Some Spanish media outlets reported that the Raptors now want to buy Garbajosa out of his contract and cut any ties. The Raptors have also added that he will not play at the Olympics as long as he is under contract with Toronto. Jorge is set to leave and any European team - particularly a Spanish team like Unicaja Malaga - will take him without a doubt.

Chances for this to happen: 5/5
Ksystof Lavrinovic is leaving Siena.

Lavrinovic just won the Italian title with Siena and also made it to the Final Four in Madrid this summer, where the team finished third. Ksystof was one of the main factors for Siena’s success this season and I am sure they will try to do anything to keep him there. There have been rumors that Lavrinovic will enter the NBA, which I’m sure he would if his “dark past” didn’t scare off any NBA team (including the Knicks) and even some Euroleague teams. But you almost can’t say “no” to a player like Ksystof. I’m sure many teams have been asking Siena about Ksystof, and we will soon hear the names of a few teams interested in signing him. How about a Greek team…?

Chances that Ksystof Lavrinovic will leave Montepaschi Siena: 1/5

the "chances" in the article are represented by stars

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Maccabi adds Simmons, Hagag
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33205/180/maccabi-adds-simmons-hagag)

Maccabi Tel Aviv continued the building of its new squad with the addition of swingman Chester "Tre" Simmons for the next two seasons and Israeli point guard Dror Hagag for three seasons. Simmons (198, 26) joins the Euroleague runner-up from Hapoel Holon, where he played a key role in the club’s historic run to the Israeli championship beating Maccabi in the final. Hagag (178, 30) arrives from domestic rival Hapoel Jerusalem, where he spent the last two seasons and won two Israeli Cup titles.

Simmons is an athletic swingman with a strong basketball IQ and good outside shooting skills. He has spent the past season-and-a-half in Israel after joining Hapoel Galil Elyon in 2006 after a brief stint in Spain with Gran Canaria. Simmons played college basketball at the University of Washington, where he averaged 16 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in his senior season, earning all PAC-10 conference honors. In January 2006 Simmons signed for Greek side PAOK Thessaloniki. He averaged 15 points on 40.8% three-point shooting and 2.6 assists in 25 games for Holon last season and 19.2 points, 2 assists and 2 steals for Galil the season before

Hagag is best known for his pesky defense, which saw him match the ULEB Cup single-game steals record with 11 against Lukoil Academic in December 2006. This will be his second stint with a Euroleague side after spending the 2005-06 season in Greece with AEK Athens. He averaged 7 points and 4.3 assists per game in the ULEB Cup last season, while in the Israeli League he produced 9.1 points and was ranked third with 4.7 assists per game. Hagag came through the ranks at the junior program of Maccabi Rishon Lezion, but didn’t break out into the senior level for many years. He spent the three seasons with Givat Shmuel, where he established himself as a legitimate first division player. Hagag’s next stop was Hapoel Tel Aviv, where he helped the team climb from the second division to the Israeli League finals within three seasons. Hagag moved to Belgian side Leuven and was one of the main reasons the club won a historic Belgian Cup title in 2005. His next stop was AEK Athens, where he ranked third in assists and steals in the Greek League, before returning to Israel with Hapoel Jerusalem. Hagag has also been a regular member of the Israeli national team, taking part in EuroBasket 2005 and 2007.

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Thursday's Rumors
Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/thursday-rumors/)

How about Juan Carlos Navarro back to the Euroleague?

This is a tricky one, but it seems like it is very possible. It does include Mario Kasun and Roko Ukic though. Roko played a great season in Rome, where his team made it all the way to the finals and only lost to Montepaschi Siena. We know that the Raptors drafted him in 2005 but do they really want or need him?

Right now Ukic has a contract with FC Barcelona, the team that wants Juan Carlos Navarro back so bad. Mario Kasun who already played in the NBA for the Orlando Magic, does also have another year on his contract, but Barcelona is filled with centers and rumored to be interested in Mark Gasol anyway. So why not make a package deal, where FC Barcelona sends Mario Kasun and Roko Ukic to the Memphis Grizzlies to get Juan Carlos back?

It is a possible deal, but there are too many factors inluded to make more out of this than a rumor: 5/5

UPDATE: there goes the rumor he would make 10mil € for 5 years in Barcelona.
Willie Solomon will join Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Willie had a great season in Turkey this past year and was one of the top guys in the Euroelague. Of course everybody would want a guy like that. If even the coach wants you, the managers and team president will try anything to get that player. Now think, this is Maccabi Tel Aviv, who just had a disappointing outcome at the Final Four - they really wanted to win that trophy but there was no way past CSKA. To match up with a team like that, Maccabi has to get players like Willie - and don’t forget, Willie also thinks about money not only a nice team - which Maccabi has right now. The only thing that might scare off at least Maccabi fans: Willie likes to shoot - as a point guard.

Solomon to Maccabi: 3/5 chances

Sarunas Jasikevicius leaves PAO and joins … CSKA.

Did you really think that CSKA only keeps the coach. Smodiz and Trajan Langdon, while other teams try to build a team to beat CSKA? Not really, right? Especially with that type of budget you want to get another player that helps your team. Now wait, what position does need help at CSKA? Let me think … man it is hard to find out - how about shooting guard? Well, they just signed Russian SG Victor Keyru, so that isn’t open for signings anymore, but a point guard might be very helpful for CSKA. We all know that they have Papaloukas, but many people do not think he is the at his best anymore. He might be a great leader off the court and still a great player, but Sarunas Jasikevicius might be just the perfect fit.

How would that work? Sarunas buy out is 250,000 EUR - pocket change for CSKA. They could even offer a way better contract to Sarunas. Since Panathinaikos had a bad season, and Sarunas was coming off the bench, they might look for another more point guard like player.

Chance to see Sarunas in Mosocow: 4/5
Terrell McIntrye will leave Siena.

The Siena managers told the press that they do not have to have Terrell next season. Well, I would not rip apart a team like Siena at all, but again a scoring point guard is not that hard to find. If you have read above that Panathinaikos would be in need for a PG, if they let go Sarunas, this would be the next step for Terrell - at least when it comes to money.

Terrell McIntrye leaving Siena and joining PAO: 3/5 chances

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Nikola Vujcic Signs with Olympiacos
Source: EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33211/180/item)

Olympiacos Piraeus has started the rebuilding of its team by tabbing one of the greatest players in Euroleague Basketball history: Two-time Euroleague champion Nikola Vujcic. The center, who recently left Maccabi Tel Aviv after six seasons a, signed a two-year contract with the Reds. Vujcic (211, 30) is a five-time All-Euroleague selection – including three years in a row on the first team. He is the only player to record a triple-double in a Euroleague game – a feat he’s accomplished twice – and is among the all-time Euroleague Basketball leaders in nearly every statistical category including scoring (fifth with 1,946 points), rebounds (third with 850), assists (sixth with 402) and blocks (fifth with 102) and is the all-time leader in index ranking with an average of 18.5 – the most for any player with at least 100 appearances.

Vujcic grew up with KK Split in his native Croatia, where he made his debut during the 1995-96 season. He played there till the 2000-01 season when he moved to Maccabi Tel Aviv. In November 2001 Vujcic was sent on loan to ASVEL Villeurbanne, which he led to the French championships, and at the end of the season he returned to Maccabi Tel Aviv, where he stayed for six seasons, during which he went to four Euroleague title games and won to championships. Vujcic is coming off a season that was marred by injuries and saw him average just 9.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 12 Euroleague games.

"This is big step for me," Vujcic said of the move. "I spent six great seasons with Maccabi Tel Aviv, but it was the right team for me to move and I think that Olympiacos is the best possible option. I am at a level that obliges me to stay on the top and Olympiacos gives me this challenge. I know coach Giannakis and I understand what he wants to build."

JWalk126
06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Barcelona brings home "La Bomba"

Superstar Juan Carlos Navarro is returning to F.C. Barcelona, his home for 10 seasons previously, thanks to a new five-year deal, the club announced on Thursday.
For Complete Article Click Here (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33228/180/item)

Efes signs forward Charles Smith

A second former Euroleague top scorer has joined Efes Pilsen in the span of a week as veteran Charles Smith signed Thursday for the Turkish powerhouse.
for complete article Click Here (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33247/180/item)

JWalk126
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
EuroBakset.com

Xavier Pascual must be pinching himself in disbelief this morning after the Barca coach had it confirmed that NBA star Juan Carlos Navarro (192-G-80) was coming home to play for Barca in the ACB once again. Not only that but he has signed for five seasons in a move that is a huge statement of intent by Joan Laporta and the Catalan club not only domestically to their big rivals in Madrid but also to Euroleague rivals.

Having kept his coaching job Pascual must be dreaming of what can be achieved next season although with it will come even more pressure to deliver trophies and one player who wont be part of the Navarro led revolution is Pepe Sanchez (193-G-77, college: Temple) who is leaving Barca after just one season after being told his contract would not be renewed

The coup of bringing Navarro home is a major boost to basketball across Europe and with rumours of the return of Jorge Garbajosa (205-C/F-77, agency: Interperformances), the ACB just gets stronger and stronger in its reputation across the world.

The next big question is just where he will end up?

JWalk126
06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Barcelona adds David Andersen

FC Barcelona made its second major move in three days on Saturday when three-time Euroleague champ David Andersen inked a three-year deal with the club.
For complete article Click Here (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33288/180/barcelona-adds-david-andersen)

Olympiacos inks big man Erceg
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33105/180/item)

Olympiacos continued its frontcourt rebuilding process by signing Zoran Erceg, one of the most promising young big man anywhere, to a five-year contract on Friday. Erceg (211, 23) comes to the Reds from FMP of Serbia, where he made a name for himself by leading the team to the ULEB Cup semifinals in 2006-07. Last season, Erceg averaged 14 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in eight ULEB Cup appearances as well as 15.1 points and 5.1 rebounds in 29 Adriatic League games. Also with FMP, Erceg won the 2004 Adriatic League as well as a pair of Serbian Cup trophies. He has played also for both Polet Keramika Novi Becej, his original club, and for Borac Cacak. Erceg is also a member of the Serbian national team, with whom he participated in the last EuroBasket 2007 championship.

JWalk126
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Nymburk signs Lee, three newcomers

Czech Republic champion CEZ Basketball Nymburk started reloading for the 2008-09 season by bringing back one of its signature stars in a stellar ULEB Cup debut, point guard Arthur Lee, and signing three new players. Lee led the team with 3.67 assists per game and was second in both scoring and minutes played as Nymburk came within a basket of reaching the ULEB Cup's Last 16 round. Lee will now be joined in playmaking duties by another point guard, Matej Venta (1.85, 24), whose Jicin team met Nymburk in the Czech League finals. Also coming to the backcourt is shooting guard Justin Grey (1.88, 24), who scored 15 points per game last season with Belgian League semifinalist Dexia Mons-Hainaut. To the frontcourt comes veteran big man Robert Tomaszek (205, 27), last with Czech team Prostejov, where he put up 12.6 points and 6.9 points in just under 24 minutes per game.

Khimki signs ULEB Cup champ Moiso

Khimki has signed reigning ULEB Cup champ Jerome Moiso, one of the men who ended the club's quest for the title last season. Moiso arrives from DKV Joventut, with whom he eliminated Khimki last season in the Last 16. Moiso (208, 30) was a key part of Joventut's success last season, offering up defense, rebounding and shot-blocking. He shined bright on the biggest stage, posting 10 points, 7 rebounds and 4 blocked shots in the ULEB Cup Final in Turin, Italy. He averaged 7.1 points on 55.2% shooting, 5.5 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in just under 20 minutes per game in the ULEB Cup as a part-time starter last season, his first at Joventut.

Moiso has had a long and distinguished career. He played college basketball at UCLA until 2000 and then he played in the NBA with the Boston Celtics, Hornets – first in Charlotte and later in New Orleans – Toronto Raptors, New Jersey Nets and Cleveland Cavs before returning to Europe. Moiso signed for with Lottomatica Roma in 2006 and averaging 2.5 points and 4 rebounds in the Euroleague, but by December of that year he moved to Bologna to play for Climamio. He later joined Real Madrid in time for the Spanish playoffs and helped the club lift the 2007 title.

Azovmash Mariupol adds size with Uche Nsonwu

Ukrainian League champion Azovmash Mariupol keeps getting ready for the 2008-09 ULEB Cup season by inking center Uche Nsonwu to a one-year deal. Nsonwu (208, 30) arrives from Asvel Basket, where he averaged 13.5 points on 59.6% two-pointers and 7.3 rebounds in 12 ULEB Cup games last season, helping his team to reach the elimination rounds. Nsonwu has also played for Gravelines and Olympique Antibes in France, Hapoel Galil Elyon in Israel, Telindus Oostende in Belgium and Galatasaray Istanbul in Turkey. Azovmash had already signed two other newcomers, center Hasan Rizvic and playmaker Khalid El-Amin who returned to the team after a season playing for Turk Telekom.

Pamesa Valencia tabs Rafa Martinez

Pamesa Valencia keeps putting together its roster for the upcoming 2008-09 ULEB Cup season by inking combo guard Rafa Martinez to a three-year deal. Martinez (190, 26) arrives from Ricoh Manresa, where he played 14.9 points on 43% three-pointers, 2.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 34 Spanish League games this season. As such, Martinez leaves his lifelong club, as he started playing for Manresa in the 1999-00 season. He also joined Valls-Felix Hotel in the Spanish third division when Manresa sent him there on loan to find extended playing time. He helped Manresa to win the Spanish second division in 2007 and has been a member of the Spanish under-18 and under-20 national team.

ULEBcup.com

JWalk126
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
all article from: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/)

Gran Canaria decides on Roberto Guerra

Gran Canaria has the right of first refusal, that means they can choose to exercise that clause in the contract of Roberto Guerra in order to book him for next year. If they don't do that within the next 10 days then Zaragoza will step in to claim the young spanish guard according to solobasket.

Roberto Guerra averaged 6.9 points 1.6 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 32 games in the ACB last season playing for Gran Canaria.
Ivan Radenovic renewed with Girona for another year

Ivan Radenovic(2.08-PF) has renewed his contract with Girona for another year. The serbian power forward was targeted by Aris but the deal didn't go through and they booked Blagota Sekulic instead.

Radenovic will have a lot more playing time with the absence of Marc Gasol that will continue his career in the NBA. Playing for Akasvayu Girona last season he averaged in 27(24+3) games 5.7 points 3.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists getting more playing time in the play-offs.
Fortitudo is waiting on Basile, transfers on hold

Fortitudo has put other transfers on stand-by waiting on Gianluca Basile to see if he will be released from Barcelona. Savic is still waiting to see what will happen with Gianluca Basile in order to make a decision on the case of Cristaps Janicenoks. The latvian guard-forward had a decent year with Fortitudo averaging 8.4 points 2.3 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 28 games for Fortitudo.
Another transfer that is sitting on stand-by as well is the case of Giuseppe Poeta who still has a contract with Teramo until 2011. There is a buy-out in his contract though that is 300.000 euros that Fortitudo could easily afford. Poeta averaged 11.8 points 2.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists in
32 games last season.
Sekulic is coming to sign for Aris

Blagota Sekulic is coming to sign his new contract with Aris Thessaloniki according to an interview he gave to the greek newspaper metrosport. Sekulic said in his interview that he had propositions from many teams but coach Mazzon and the administration of Aris won him over because they showed him that they wanted him more than other teams.

He says he never met coach Mazzon in person but he knows of him and he is also aware that he will be the starting center in next year's season. He also said that there are some final details to be sorted and then he will sign his new contract with Aris. He doesn't know when he will arrive in Thessaloniki as he needs to sort out his girlfriend's viza but it could be any day now.

Blagota Sekulic played for Real Madrid the last 1.5 seasons. This season he averaged 5.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 32 games in the ACB.
Dynamo Moscow is after Dragicevic

Tadija Dragicevic ended up in the number 53 of the 2nd round of this year's NBA Draft selection. The 22-year old power forward was the leading scorer of the Adriatic League leading Red Star Belgrade to the 4th position in the league.

Dragicevic is one the most promising serbian talents of his generation and he has already attracted the attention of many rich european basketball clubs. According to serbian media Dynamo Moscow made an offer to the young player offering him 850.000 euros per year for a one-year contract with the possibility of renewing it for another year.

Dragicevic averaged 20.5 points and 5.9 rebounds in 28 games of the Adriatic League.
Acker leaving, three new transfers for Barca

According to sport.es Alex Acker might soon be leaving Barcelona who has already released Marconato and Sanchez. Only four players so far have secured their place in the roster and they are Grimau, Trias, Vasquez and Kasun. Alex Acker did not produce the performance everyone was expecting and it seems unlikely that Barcelona will be renewing his contract.

He averaged 6.7 points 1.7 rebounds and 1 assists in 30 games in the regular season.

On the other hand there are 3 transfers that are rumored to be concluded very soon according to the article. They are Victor Sada from Girona, Lupos Barton from DKV and of course the highly anticipated transfer of Terrell McIntyre from Siena.

There is also the matter of releasing Jaka Lakovic and his 1.3 million euros contract that Barcelona wants to get rid of.
Olympia Larissa is close to Marlon Garnett

According to sport.gr Olympia Larissa has found the replacement of Fanis Koumpouras who moved to Maroussi BC for 3 years just a few days ago. Coach Bartzokas needed a player that can score from the point guard position and they have found him in Marlon Garnett.

Garnett played for KK Croatia Split last season and before that in Estudiantes in Spain. The 33 year old PG had a tremendous year in the adriatic league where he was the 2nd leading scorer with 19.2 points per game. He also averaged 3 rebounds and 1.7 assists in a total of 24 games. A great transfer for Olympia Larissa if the player signs within the next few days.

JWalk126
07-02-2008, 01:13 AM
more from The Hoop Blog

Tau renewed youngster Ander Arruti

Ander Arruti is one of Spain's rising talents. The youngster was the leading scorer of the U-18 league in Spain and belongs to Tau. His height is 1.90m and he can play both guard positions. Experts in Spain say that despite his talent he needs to add more muscle mass to his figure in order to play pro.

Many teams were after Arruti, first and foremost Zaragoza that offered him a 4-year contract that would get him playing time in the EBA league for 2 years and then moving on to the main team. Pamesa Valencia also stepped in but their offers were rejected as well. The kid shows his alliegence to Tau and with the technical staff of Tau they will work on a plan in the upcoming months for his development as a player and the first plan is to play for Euskotran Baskonia that is Tau's second team in order to get more experiences with tougher opponents.
Katsikaris has approached Dikoudis

According to greek site basketblog, Fotis Katsikaris is meeting today in Athens with Demos Dikoudis to discuss the possibility of Dikoudis playing for Pamesa Valencia next year.

Dikoudis had played for Pamesa Valencia before during season 2003-2004. He has also played under the guidance of Katsikaris in AEK Athens when he was the assistant coach between 1998 and 2002. The two of them go way back and Pamesa Valencia will be a familiar ground for Dikoudis as it was the place where he had his best european year performance-wise. That season Dikoudis averaged 13.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in 25 games in the ACB. Now that Katsikaris is still head coach in Valencia he'd be more than happy to work with Dikoudis again.

Now that he is being released from Panathinaikos this might be the next step in career, that is to return to Valencia.
One big mess with Goran Dragic

Goran Dragic signed a contract with Tau Ceramica in the summer of 2006 after paying a 30.000 euros buyout to Geoplin Slovan the team that he initially played for. According to the slovenian site 24ur.com the slovenian judicial system has reversed the decision that sold Dragic to Tau by saying that Tau needs to negotiate with Geoplin now in order to gain the rights of the player for next season.

Slovenian sources mention that if Geoplin re-acquires the rights to the player then they will set a 500.000 dollars buy-out on him in order to sell him either to Olimpija or Phoenix. Is this a coincidence that this happens while Dragic wants to break out of his contract with Tau and move to Phoenix who have his NBA rights? Judicial problems are not something new to slovenia as there were problems with the case of Miha Zupan as well.
Carlos Cherry renewed with Granada

The administration of Granada decided to renew the contract of Carlos Cherry for another year. Carlos Cherry said that the quality of life in Granada won him over and that he is also quite happy to stay with the team for another year as he likes the atmosphere in it.

Cherry averaged 3.6 points and 1.3 assists in 28 games in the ACB.

JWalk126
07-03-2008, 04:57 AM
and yet... some more rumors & news from The Hoop Blog

Maccabi is interested in Jackson Vroman

American forward/center(2.07-PF/C) Jackson Vroman is targeted by Maccabi Tel Aviv according to israeli media. Vroman started the season in Girona where he played 18 games in the spanish league and averaged 9.4 points and 4.8 rebounds. Afterwards he moved to Lietuvos Rytas to help them in the euroleague where he averaged 9.2 points and 6.3 rebounds.

Vroman also played for Gran Canaria and had a brief career in the NBA playing for the Hornets and the Suns.
Pamesa made offers to Blanco and Sonseca

Pamesa Valencia made offers to Fuenlabrada and Girona for Saul Blanco and Eduardo Sonseca respectively according to spanish media. The offers were made so their hosting teams have now 10 days to decide whether they would exercise the right of first refusal and propose equal offers in order to keep them in their rosters or release them.

The offer for Blanco is for 3 years and 350-400.000 euros per season and for Eduardo Sonseca is for 2 years and 600.000 euros per season. Blanco averaged 8.8 points and and 3 rebounds in 25 games for Fuenlabrada and Sonseca 8 points and 5 rebounds in 34 games for Girona in the ACB.
Aris is interested in Christos Tapoutos

Aris is after Christos Tapoutos according to greek media. The greek small forward played for AEK Athens the last 2 years where he managed to regain his form recovering from a series of serious injuries.

According to greek newspaper metrosport coach Mazzon of Aris called Tapoutos to discuss the possibility of Christos Tapoutos playing for Aris and he was quite positive about it. The rumors that a 3-year contract offer will be made to Tapoutos very soon. He averaged 11.6 points and 4.6 rebounds in 22 games this season.
Simonas Serapinas had offer from ukrainian team

Simonas Serapinas had an offer from a ukrainian team according to polish site gazeta.pl. Serapinas and Gurovic will be leaving Prokom Trefl that are trying to reduce their budget this year and if the deal goes through then Serapinas will be making double the salary that he had in Prokom.

Serapinas started this season at Aris Thessaloniki where he played 10 games for greek league A1 and 11 games in the Euroleague. He later on moved to Prokom where he averaged 5.2 points and 1.6 rebounds in 31 games. Prokom won the polish league last season. Before Aris, Simonas Serapinas played for Zalgiris Kaunas.
Drobnjak and Raicevic for Panionios

According to greek site gazzetta.gr Dragisa Drobnjak and Miroslav Raicevic are close to signing a new contract with Panionios that is the 3rd greek team to participate in the next season of the Euroleague.

Drobnjak(2.00-SF) had a good year with Turow reaching all the way to the finals of the polish league. He averaged 8.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in 14 games of the Uleb Cup.

Miroslav Raicevic(2.07-PF) who has a greek passport played for Red Star Belgrade this year recovering from a serious injury that knocked him out most of the 2006-2007 season. He averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds in 12 games of the Uleb Cup. Raicevic played in Greece before for Aris Thessaloniki.

Bynum out - Solomon in?

Coach Birenboim of Maccabi Tel Aviv has yet to decide what will become of Will Bynum. According to israeli media Maccabi wants to book Willie Solomon who has been released from Fener but the deal is yet to be confirmed. If this happens then Will Bynum will be out of the door as the new coach of Maccabi doesn't want him in next year's roster.

Bynum averaged 10.6 points 3 assists and 1.6 rebounds in 24 games in the Euroleague for Maccabi.

JWalk126
07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Le Mans grabs scoring ace Spencer

EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33605/180/item)

The second-best scorer in the 2007-08 Euroleague regular season has a new home after Le Mans announced a one-year deal with shooting guard Dewarick Spencer on Friday. Spencer (193, 27) makes the jump from Virtus Bologna, where his Euroleague debut last season couldn't have been more spectacular. Spencer finished second among all Euroleague regular scorers with 18.1 points per game based on near-identical production on two-point shots, three-pointers and free throws. Spencer was named Week 6 MVP during the regular season for a 34-point scoring explosion in which he also pulled 8 rebounds and dished 7 assists. Prior to Bologna, Spencer spent his two previous seasons in Europe with Chorale Roanne, helping lift that team to the 2006-07 French League title and the 2007 Semain d'As trophy. He was both French League scoring leader and MVP of the French League all-star game the same season.

Unicaja locks up captain Berni Rodriguez
EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33591/180)

Unicaja announced Thursday that the heart of the team, captain Berni Rodriguez, has agreed to a contract renewal that will keep the world champion at the club for at least another two years. The club also has an option to extend the deal for a further two seasons, through 2012. Rodriguez (197, 28) has spent his entire professional career with Unicaja, debuting in 1999. He has played a pivotal role in all of the club’s successes, including winning a Spanish League championship, Spanish King’s Cup, reaching the Euroleague Basketball Final Four and lifting the Korac Cup. Rodriguez also has been a mainstay with the Spanish national team, with whom he won the 2006 world championships in Japan and took home a silver medal at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain. An important all-around contributor for any team with which he plays, Rodruguez has suited up in 114 Euroleague games for Unicaja. His best individual campaign came in the 2006-07 season, when he led the team to the Final Four while averaging a career-high 10.8 points and well as 2.7 assists per game.

Maccabi brings back big man Yaniv Green
Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33545/180)

After a one-year separation Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv has brought home Israeli center Yaniv Green, who signed a three-year deal with the Euroleague runner-up. Green (206, 28) spent the past season in Samara of the Russian league where he averaged 8.9 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. Those numbers jumped to 11.6 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 10 FIBA EuroCup appearances, ranking second on the glass and third in blocks. Last summer he was the leading rebounder at Eurobasket 2007 in Spain, where he averaged 11.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots per game. The powerful big man spent three seasons with Maccabi and was part of the team that won the Euroleague title in 2005. In his Euroleague debut game that season, he won the MVP of the week award, though he would spend most of his career with Maccabi as the back up for one of the best centers in the Euroleague - Nikola Vujcic. Before coming to Maccabi, Green grew up alongside fellow Maccabi player Tal Burstein in the junior program of Bnei Herzliya. After one year with Maccabi Ra'anana, he returned home to Herzliya and later spent two seasons with Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Efes brings back big man Peker
EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33599/180)

Turkish powerhouse Efes Pilsen has brought back an old friend, center Kaya Peker, to add size and experience to its frontcourt for the 2008-09 season. Peker (208, 28) had been a pillar for Efes through six seasons, from 2000 to 2006, when the team won four Turkish League titles and five domestic cups. He rejoins Efes after a season with another Istanbul team, Besiktas Cola Turka, which he helped lead to the ULEB Cup Final Eight with 13.2 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, making him the team's top rebounder and second-best scorer. Besides his five Euroleague seasons with Efes, in the last of which he put up 10 points and 5 rebounds per game, Peker played a year outside Turkey, reaching the 2007 Final Four with Tau Ceramica of Spain. Efes and Peker agreed to a two-year contract with an option after the first one.

Roma lands combo guard Becirovic
EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33603/180)

A former Euroleague champion is headed back to Italy with the announcement on Friday that Lottomatica Roma has inked Sani Becirovic to a three-year contract. Becirovic (196, 27) arrives from Panathinaikos, where he won the Euroleague title in 2007 as a part-time starter and a double-digit scorer for the Greens. Last season, he averaged 6.8 points in 17 minutes per game. Despite having overcome serious injury, Becirovic has been a signature Euroleague player all decade, having exploded on the scene with his original club, Union Olimpija of Slovenia, by scoring 20 points a game as a teenager in 2000-01. Becirovic moved the next season to Virtus Bologna and helped his new team reach the title game at the 2002 Final Four. A serious knee injury limited Becirovic to just two Euroleague games with Krka Novo Mesto of Slovenia over the next three seasons, but he returned to full-time status with Fortitudo Bologna in 2005-06, averaging 11.1 points over 17 games, before moving on to glory at Panathinaikos. "My objective with Roma is to help the club make the last step forward in the Italian League and the Euroleague. The presence of (sports director) Dejan Bodiroga and (head coach) Jasmin Repesa was a determining factor in my decision."

Bootsy Thornton joins Efes Pilsen
EUROLEAGUE (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33551/180)

An All-Euroleague second team selection switched teams on Wednesday, when Efes Pilsen announced that swingman Bootsy Thornton inked a one-year deal with the Turkish powerhouse. Thornton (194, 30) arrives from Montepaschi Siena, where he averaged 10.5 points and 2.7 rebounds in 24 Euroleague games last season. Not only did he help Montepaschi to win its second consecutive Italian League and reached the Euroleague Basketball Final Four, but Thornton also became the Euroleague's February MVP and was chosen to the All-Euroleague second team. He has also won another Italian League title and made it to another Euroleague Basketball Final Four with Montepaschi in 2004. Thornton has also played for FC Barcelona and Akasvayu Girona in Spain, as well as for Cantu in Italy. He helped Barcelona to advance to the Euroleague Basketball Final Four in 2006 and won the FIBA EuroCup title with Akasvayu in 2007.

JWalk126
07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
and again, more from The Hoop blog (click on headline for article)

DKV made an offer to Bracey Wright (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/dkv-made-offer-to-bracey-wright.html)

MMT Estudiantes close to Vonteego Cummings (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/mmt-estudiantes-close-to-vonteego.html)

Dallas wants James Singleton (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/dallas-wants-james-singleton.html)

Real interested in Van Der Spiegel (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/real-interested-in-van-der-spiegel.html)

Nenad Krstic leaving New Jersey (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/nenad-krstic-leaving-new-jersey.html)

Zalgiris Kaunas announced Willie Deane (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/zalgiris-kaunas-announced-willie-deane.html)

Panionios wants Milan Gurovic (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/panionios-wants-milan-gurovic.html)

Nikola Prkacin heading to Cibona (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/nikola-prkacin-heading-to-cibona_05.html)

Dynamo Moscow signed Ariel McDonald (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/dynamo-moscow-signed-ariel-mcdonald.html)

Aaron Miles close to Cajasol if he gets european passport (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/aaron-miles-close-to-cajasol-if-gets.html)

DKV set sights on Jasaitis and Barnes (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/dkv-set-sights-on-jasaitis-and-barnes.html)

Hoskin has offers from Russia, Turkey and Greece (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/hoskin-has-offers-from-russia-turkey.html)

Zalgiris and Tau fighting over Marko Popovic (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/zalgiris-and-tau-fighting-over-marko.html)

DKV and Roma are after Marconato (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/dkv-and-roma-are-after-marconato.html)

Cantu announced Jason Rich (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/cantu-announced-jason-rich.html)

chicagofan71
07-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Suprised how many decent college players are in Europe (Wright, Radenovich)

JWalk126
07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Huertas going to DKV (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/huertas-going-to-dkv.html)

Hapoel Jerusalem announced Omar Sneed (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/hapoel-jerusalem-announced-omar-sneed.html)

Zadar signed three players, Gecevski undecided (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/zadar-signed-three-players-gecevski.html)

Lakovic stays, Sada arrives? (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/lakovic-stays-sada-arrives.html)

Benetton trying to convince Hackett (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/benetton-is-trying-to-convince-hackett.html)

Kus returning to Cibona (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/kus-returning-to-cibona.html)

Fortitudo Bologna announced Qyntel Woods (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/07/fortitudo-bologna-announced-qyntel.html)

Sports Illustrator
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Amid an ESPN report that Jason Williams is in serious discussions with Israeli-league team Tel Aviv, just received confirmation that there is indeed interest, but that a deal is not imminent. In fact, we've been told by two sources that J-Will essentially remains in a holding pattern with a couple of potential suitors. A few days ago, we were told not to completely rule out a possible return to the Heat at a deeply, deeply, deeply discounted rate from the $8.9 million he earned last season. If Heat president Pat Riley is even interested in a reunion, it would most likely happen in the range of $1.3 to $2 million. But word out of Israel from at least one source familiar with Tel Aviv's negotiations is that Williams is seeking a deal with an annual salary of at least $3 million. The Israeli teams is thinking closer to $1.5, which is similar to any deal any NBA suitor might extend, including the Heat.

From Miami Herald (http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2008/07/a-heatrelated-t.html)

JWalk126
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
its probably not going to happen, Maccabi are also in talks with Carlos Arroyo

they really need a PG

drob33
08-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Nah... He just signed with the Clippers. IDK why though, he's their third PG.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3524422

JWalk126
08-09-2008, 08:55 PM
they didnt want him going to Italy :nod:

JWalk126
08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
A source said free-agent guard Flip Murray has been approached by Dynamo Moscow. The former Cavs guard had drawn some interest from Cleveland, but that was before the Cavs signed Tarence Kinsey. Dallas and Washington have also sent out feelers. Murray has reportedly been offered a contract worth $2.5 million USD ($5 million gross) by Dynamo.

Dynamo coach David Blatt also has his eye on former Hornets guard Jannero Pargo, who is being pursued by San Antonio and Denver. Those teams were offering a little more than $2 million. Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, is using the interest in Russia as leverage with the NBA clubs.

Fox Sports NBA Rumors (http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nba)

JWalk126
08-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34454/180/item)

DKV Joventut has announced an agreement with shooting guard Bracey Wright, who inked a one-year deal with the Spanish powerhouse. Wright (191, 24) arrives from Aris TT Bank, where he averaged 14.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 18 Euroleague games last season. Wright helped Aris to make it to the Top 16 for the second consecutive season. He has also played for the Florida Flame in the NBDL and the Minnesota Timberwolves in the NBA since finishing his college career at Indiana University (NCAA). Wright averaged 18.3 points and 4.8 rebounds in his final season with the Hoosiers. He has also been a member of the USA under-18 and under-21 national team.
2nd Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/dkv-announced-bracey-wright.html)

Badalona announced the signing Bracey Wright (1.91-SG/SF) today via their official website. Penya signed one of the most charismatic shooting guards available in Europe, a player that will help to bridge the scoring gap that Rudy Fernandez left behind. Bracey Wright can score from pretty much any distance in the field and his great wingspan allows him to drive to the hoop even against significantly taller players.

He impressed the european crowds in his first year in the Euroleague averaging almost 15 points per game. He graduated from Indiana where he played for the Indiana Hoosiers. Then he moved to the NBDL where he played for the Florida Flame and later that year moved to the Minnesota Timberwolves where he stayed for 2 seasons. He had his first european experience when he moved to Aris Thessalonikiwhere he played the whole last season and alongside Jeremiah Massey (2.02-PF) were the offensive weapons of Aris.

Bracey Wright averaged 14.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game in 18 games in the Euroleague last season.

becomes Ricky Rubios teammate for next season

lakers4sho
08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Free agent guard Jannero Pargo has reached an agreement in principle with Moscow Dynamo for a one-year contract worth about $4 million.

Pargo had been 'leveraging' European offers for a while, and obviously it was no bluff. The Hornets wanted to re-sign Pargo at first, but after signing James Posey there just wasn't enough money left to interest him. Pargo joins Bostjan Nachbar in Moscow, but don't be surprised if he resurfaces in the NBA next season.

Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Arol1xGW06CIRCBY6qCGQWd30bYF?slug=aw-pargo081508)

There goes another one :rolleyes:

JWalk126
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Yahoo! is the 1st and only time I saw any site call the team Moscow Dynamo

why dont they start saying Madrid Real?

lakers4sho
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Yahoo! is the 1st and only time I saw any site call the team Moscow Dynamo

why dont they start saying Madrid Real?

lol I was gonna type Dynamo Moscow but I thought I was wrong :(

JWalk126
08-15-2008, 04:26 PM
lol I was gonna type Dynamo Moscow but I thought I was wrong :(

dont worry about it.

its fixed now :D

JWalk126
08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu will definitely play in a Badalona vest next season after DKV Joventut announced a deal will be met by the GB player who had been quoted from some British sources as not wanting to play in the ACB due to pursuing his NBA dream. The power forward will certainly get a good reception on his trip to Granada after helping to save Nazari from relegation on the last day of the season
ACB-Basket.com

bogdanrom
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Damn. He is a freak of nature athlete. I think he could help a lot of team who need to become more athletic. He could definitely get on the Knicks roster.

JWalk126
08-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Adam Haluska joins Hapoel Jerusalem (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/adam-haluska-joins-hapoel-jerusalem.html)

Gran Canaria announced Fisher and Augustine (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/granaria-announced-fisher-and-augustine.html)

JWalk126
08-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Cibona brings back Markota
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34457/180)

Cibona Zagreb keeps reeling back its own former players with the addition on Thursday of power forward Damir Markota to the team's 2008-09 Euroleague roster. Markota (208, 22) spent four previous seasons with Cibona, debuting in the Euroleague with a single brief appearance one month after his 16th birthday. His return to Cibona for three more seasons starting in 2003 was highlighted by a Top 16 run in 2005-06 as he averaged 7.8 points and 5.1 rebounds as one of the Euroleague's top performers off the bench. Markota played the 2006-07 season with Milwaukee of the NBA, appearing for an average of 5.7 minutes in 30 games. Markota returned to Europe with Spartak St. Petersburg of Russia last season, but moved to Zalgiris Kaunas of Lithuania in mid-season, averaging 3.5 points and 2 rebounds in the Top 16.

Armani Jeans Milano inks David Hawkins
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34440/180/armani-jeans-milano-inks-david-hawkins)

A blue-collar swingman switched Euroleague teams on Tuesday when Armani Jeans Milano announced that David Hawkins inked a one-year deal with his new team. Hawkins (195, 25) arrives from Lottomatica Roma, where he has played for the best part of the last four seasons. He averaged 10.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.4 steals in 20 Euroleague games last season, helping Lottomatica to make it to the Euroleague Top 16 and the Italian League finals. Hawkins also reached the Italian League semifianls for three consecutive seasons from 2005 to 2007, as well as reaching the ULEB Cup quarterfinals in the 2005-06 season, in which he led the competition in steals (3 spg.) and was its third top scorer (18.5 ppg.). Hawkins has also played for Rieti in Italy since finishing his college career at Temple University (NCAA). Hawkins is ready to take its intensity and versatility to Milano next season.

Lottomatica extends Rodrigo De La Fuente
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34444/180/lottomatica-extends-rodrigo-de-la-fuente)

Lottomatica Roma has announced that veteran forward Rodrigo De la Fuente has extended his contract until the end of the 2009-10 season. De La Fuente (200, 31) arrived in the team midway through last season, averaging 5.9 points and 3.7 rebounds in 10 Euroleague games. He helped the team to reach the Euroleague Top 16 and the Italian League finals. De la Fuente has started the season with Benetton Treviso, averaging 4.2 points in 6 ULEB Cup games. He has previously played for FC Barcelona for nine consecutive seasons. De la Fuente helped Barcelona to win four Spanish League titles in 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2004. He also helped Barcelona to win the 1999 Korac Cup title and above all, he lifted the 2003 Euroleague trophy, the first in club history, as the team's captain. De la Fuente has also been a regular member of the Spanish national team, to which he helped to win EuroBasket silver medals in 1999 and 2003.

JWalk126
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Czarni Slupsk has signed Jack Ingram (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/czarni-slupsk-has-signed-jack-ingram.html)

Bryce Taylor to Montegranaro (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/bryce-taylor-to-montegranaro.html)

JWalk126
08-19-2008, 11:36 PM
rumor has it that TAU Ceramica is pursuing Fred Jones (NYK)

JWalk126
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Darryl Middleton stays in Girona to help
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/darryl-middleton-stays-in-girona-to.html)

Veteran power forward Darryl Middleton has decided to stay with Girona in the next season that they will be playing in LEB Bronze. The 43-year old american player said that money is not an issue and he wants to help Girona return to the big leagues. He also played for Girona last season but the team's financial problems led the team to the lower leagues.

JWalk126
08-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Zalgiris lands Varda for two years

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34557/180)

Lithuanian champs Zalgiris Kaunas announced on Thursday the addition of big man Ratko Varda (213, 29) for the next two years. Varda arrives from ViveMenorca of the Spanish League where last season he played 29 games averaging 8.6 points and 3.8 rebounds. Varda made his debut with Partizan Belgrade in 1998 and in 2001 he crossed the pond to join the Detroit Pistons of the NBA. He was traded to the Washington Wizards and was back to Europe for the 2002-03 season with Union Olimpija Ljubljana taking the national cup. After that he played in Greece (Apollon Patras), Turkey (Besiktas JK), Ukraine (BC Kyiv) and Spain in 2006-07 with Real Madrid, with which he won the Spanish League title and the ULEB Cup.

Olimpja tabs point man Wallace

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34545/180)

Union Olimpija on Wednesday announced the signing of point guard Jonathan Wallace to a one-year contract. Wallace (188, 22) who will make his European debut with the Slovenian champs. He arrives from Georgetown University, where he was a double-figure scorer the last two seasons. He also set the Georgetown University record with 240 three-point shots made during his career.

Avellino closes roster with Porta

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34552/180)

Euroleague newcomer Air Avellino confirmed its latest addition for the upcoming season. The Italian team announced a two-year deal with Argentinian point guard Antonio Porta (188, 25). Porta comes back to Italy after a short span in the Russian League with Spartak St. Petersburg where he averaged 7.0 points, 3.0 boards and 3.4 assists in 10 games last season. Porta is currently playing with the Argentina National Team at the Beijing Olympics. Porta grew up in Echague Parana of Argentina and in 2002 he travelled to Italy to play with Imola of the second division. In December that same year he moved to the first division with Basket Livorno until the 2006-07 season, when he switched teams to Angelico Biella before going to Russia.

Unicaja lands Thomas Kelati

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34539/180)

Unicaja keeps completing its roster for the upcoming 2008-09 season by inking small forward Thomas Kelati to a one-year deal. Kelati (195, 25) arrives from PGE Turow Zgorzelec, where he averaged 14.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in 15 ULEB Cup games last season. Kelati helped Turow to make it all the way to the ULEB Cup Final Eight, losing in the quarterfinals against Dynamo Moscow. In his two seasons in Zgorzelec, Kelati also reached consecutive Polish League finals, losing twice against Prokom Trefl Sopot. Kelati has also played for Dexia Mons-Hainaut in Belgium since finishing his four-year college career at the Washington State University (NCAA). He averaged 14.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in his senior season with the Cougars. Kelati, the only professional basketball player with Eritrean roots, is set to make his Euroleague debut with Unicaja.

JWalk126
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Red Star tabs Vladimir Stimac
Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34563/448)

Red Star added its first new player for the upcoming 2008-09 Eurocup season by landing center Vladimir Stimac, who inked a three-year deal. Stimac (209, 20) arrives from SK Valmiera, where he had a breakout season. He was the Latvian League top rebounder, averaging 15.5 points on 63% two-pointers and 11.3 boards in 26 games. Moreover, Stimac averaged 17.1 points and 11 boards in 20 Baltic League games, also leading the rebounders list. Stimac has also played for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania and Beovuk Beograd in his native Serbia. Stimac also had a successful run with the Serbian under-18 and under-20 national teams. He won the gold medal with Serbia and Montenegro at the 2005 under-18 European championships. He also struck gold with Serbia at the under-20 European champs in 2007. Stimac was chosen as the Latvian League foreign MVP in each of the last two seasons, as well as becoming the Baltic League's October MVP last season.

Pau Orthez signed Jameson Curry
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/pau-orthez-signed-jameson-curry.html)

Coach Bergaud said that he couldn't leave the opportunity go to waste when he found out that Jameson Curry was released from the Chicago Bulls. Curry was drafted in 2007 in the 2nd round in number 51 by the Chicago Bulls.

He finished 3 successful seasons in Oklahoma State and in his last season he averaged 17.3 points 3.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 35 games. Since then he played in several summer leagues and tried for a position in the Chicago roster but was sent to the NBDL and Iowa where he played 13 games averaging 20.2 points 5.6 assists and 3.2 rebounds.

In their announcement via their official website Pau Orthez say that there will be a press-conference to properly announce the player.

Olympiakos is interested in Glyniadakis
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/olympiakos-is-interested-in-glyniadakis.html)

According to the greek media Olympiakos has renewed his interest in Andreas Glyniadakis(2.15-C). The cretan center who even got his shot to play in the NBA for a few nights was rumored to be on the sighs of Olympiakos but because of the Olympic Games the story got sidelined.

It started appearing in greek media today and some rumors say that coach Giannakis got Glyniadakis in the National Team in order to test him out against tougher opponents. Glyniadakis already has a contract for next season with Maroussi and Olympiakos will put an offer through if they decide to go after the player.

He averaged 6.8 points and 2.8 rebounds in 4 games with the National Team in the Olympic games.

Virtus agreed with Koponen
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/virtus-agreed-with-koponen.html)

According to mondobasket Petteri Koponen agreed to continue his career in Virtus Bologna and signed a 4-year contract with the italian team. There were 2 more teams competing for the finnish point-guard, rival Fortitudo Bologna and Tau Vittoria. Apparently Virtus got the player to sign after agreeing to pay the buy-out clause of 500.000 euros to Honka Playboys, his former team in Finland.

He was drafted in 2007 at number 30 by the Philadelphia 76ers was lated traded to Portland. Koponen played for the Honka Cowboys in Finland last season leading his team to win the league title and he also took part in the Las Vegas Summer League where he did pretty well averaging 13.2 points and 3.4 assists in 5 games starting in all five of them. Koponen is known for his passing ability and his very mature decision making in the fast break. Koponen's new contract for 4 years will benefit him 2 million dollars and there is an NBA-escape clause in the contract for each year.

Koponen averaged 18.3 points 3.3 rebounds 4.2 assists and 2.2 steals in 33 of the finnish league.

JWalk126
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Reds tab teen Giannopoulos

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34561/180/item)

Olympiacos has announced the signing of Haris Giannopoulos, a second teenage prospect they added to their roster, after Ioannis Karathanassis. Giannopoulos (201, 19), who grew up with PAOK Thessaloniki, plays at both forward positions. He signed a four-year contract with the Reds. Giannopoulos helped Greece win the silver medal at the 2007 European Junior Championships in Madrid last summer.

JWalk126
08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Fortitudo lands guard Jamont Gordon

Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/34604/448/item)

Fortitudo Bologna keeps strengthening its roster for the upcoming Eurocup season with the addition of American guard Jamont Gordon (194, 21). Last season, Gordon played the third of its years at Mississipi State averaging 17.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.1 steals in 34 games. He also played the Summer League in Las Vegas this year with the Philadelphia 76ers with also good numbers: 10.6 points, 3.4 boards and 4.0 assists in his five appearances. Gordon is a guard who stands out for his defending abilities and his instinct for the rebounds, and he has signed a one-year deal with the Italian team.

Red Star tabs Vladimir Stimac
Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34563/448)

Red Star added its first new player for the upcoming 2008-09 Eurocup season by landing center Vladimir Stimac, who inked a three-year deal. Stimac (209, 20) arrives from SK Valmiera, where he had a breakout season. He was the Latvian League top rebounder, averaging 15.5 points on 63% two-pointers and 11.3 boards in 26 games. Moreover, Stimac averaged 17.1 points and 11 boards in 20 Baltic League games, also leading the rebounders list. Stimac has also played for Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania and Beovuk Beograd in his native Serbia. Stimac also had a successful run with the Serbian under-18 and under-20 national teams. He won the gold medal with Serbia and Montenegro at the 2005 under-18 European championships. He also struck gold with Serbia at the under-20 European champs in 2007. Stimac was chosen as the Latvian League foreign MVP in each of the last two seasons, as well as becoming the Baltic League's October MVP last season.

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34657/180/item)

Alba Berlin completed its roster for its Euroleague comeback this season on Thursday with the addition of American forward Casey Jacobsen (198, 27) for the next campaign. Jacobsen arrives from the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA where last season he averaged 2.0 points and 1.2 rebounds in 53 appearances. Jacobsen played college ball in Stanford with which he played the NCAA Final Eight in 2001. He finished his play there becoming the college third best scorer ever. He was drafted in 2002 by the Phoenix Suns. He also played for the New Orleans Hornets and the Memphis Grizzlies for as total 287 games but in 2005, Jacobsen crossed the pond to play in Spain with Tau Ceramica, taking the 2006 Spanish King's Cup. He also was Spanish League runner-up and reached the Euroleague Final Four with Tau. That season, Jacobsen averaged 9.0 points and 1.6 rebounds in the Euroleague. In January 2007, he moved to Germany to play for GHP Bamberg as he averaged 17.0 points, 3.7 boards and 2.9 assists to lead the team to the German title as he was chosen MVP of the Finals.

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 05:11 AM
KK Buducnost signed Marko Simonovic (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/kk-buducnost-signed-marko-simonovic.html)

Kommatos close to AEL (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/kommatos-close-to-ael.html)

Tanoka Beard signed with Tartu Rock (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/tanoka-beard-signed-with-tartu-rock.html)

Panionios announced Aaron Miles (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/panionios-announced-aaron-miles.html)

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Nancy nabs Rod Benson
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34621/180)

French League champ SLUC Nancy announced on Tuesday the addition of power forward Rod Benson (208, 23) for the next season. He played the Summer League this summer with the Toronto Raptors averaging 2.0 points per game in 2 appearances. He arrives from the Dakota Wizards of the NBDL where he averaged 13.6 points and 12.1 rebounds per night. He played college ball in University of California, Berkeley. He also played the 2006 and 2007 NBA Summer Leagues, but in the 2006-07 season he signed for the Austin Toros of the NBDL, from where he was released before joining the Dakota Wizards.

JWalk126
08-30-2008, 11:32 PM
reports on YNET are saying that Maccabi Tel Aviv are planning on giving Marcus Fizer the boot.. I cant wait for this to happen

JWalk126
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
ASK Riga retools with four new signings
Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34826/448)

ASK Riga injected some fresh blood into the squad with the signings of all-time Eurocup scoring runner-up Corey Brewer and forwards Uvis Helmanis, Ricardo Marsh and Milutin Aleksic.

Red Star signs guard Marko Marinovic

Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/news/i/34820/448)

The day after the club hired Svetislav Pesic as its new head coach, Red Star Belgrade agreed to terms with guard Marko Marinovic. He signed a one-year deal with the team, reuniting Marinovic with coach Pesic.

JWalk126
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Maroussi signs Finnish swingman Shawn Huff

Maroussi Costa Coffee has entered into a three-year contract with swingman Shawn Huff, the club announced Tuesday. Huff, who arrives from Valparaiso University, is currently with the Finnish national team

Read More >> (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34948/448)

Kazan brings back playmaker Samoylenko

Unics Kazan announced Monday that point guard Petr Samoylenko signed a two-year deal to return to the club. Samoylenko spent nine seasons with Kazan before helping Dynamo Moscow reach the ULEB Cup semis last year.

Read More >> (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34934/448)

JWalk126
09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Red Star adds shooter Owens, forward Keselj
Source: EuroCup.com (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/34957/448) (click for more information)

Serbian powerhouse Red Star made two important signings on Tuesday with the additions of shooting guard Andre Owens, who arrives from Indiana of the NBA, and small forward Marko Keselj from German side Koln.

JWalk126
09-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Paok has booked Kenny Gregory

All the greek sport media seem to point to the agreement of Paok with Kenny Gregory(1.97-SG/SF). According to the articles he will be announced tomorrow as they are expecting his signed contract back tonight. After the debacle with Demetrius Alexander who won't be released by Barons LMT the administration of Paok is trying to win the crowds again by signing a Euroleague class player.

The american scorer played last season for Efes Pilsen and before that he played in Le Mans for 2 seasons where he was the top scorer of the french team. He never made it to the NBA although he took part in several tryouts. Gregory is an athletic guard/forward who can score in many different ways but he is not known for his defensive skills. Last season he averaged 11.1 points 3.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 20 games in the Euroleague.

Gabe Muoneke and ASVEL part ways

Gabe Muoneke(2.00-PF) signed a contract with ASVEL Villeurban a few weeks ago but now it seems that they have decided to terminate their deal before the beginning of the regular season in France. The announcement follows:

The ASVEL Basket announces the end of his collaboration with Gabe Muoneke, the club and the player part ways by mutual agreement. "The profile of the player does not match the objectives and expectations of the club. "Says Pierre Grall, Executive Director of the club. The staff is exploring various options to replace the player as soon as possible.

Muoneke has literally played all over the world including NBA teams and last season he helped Tau to overcome the loss of James Singleton but his contract wasn't renewed after the 3 months had passed. He currently operates as a blogger for Hoopshype. He averaged 6.5 points and 2.7 rebounds in 11 Euroleague games

The Hoop Blog

JWalk126
09-11-2008, 03:49 AM
Quinteros returns to Zaragoza sky high after bronze-medal success
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28490/arti.html)

ZARAGOZA (ACB) - Paolo Quinteros goes into this season with newly-promoted CAI Zaragoza feeling as good as ever about his game after playing a vital role for Argentina in their bronze-medal run at the Olympics.

The shooting guard, with Manu Ginobili out hurt, combined with fellow reserve Leo Gutierrez to score 22 points in an 87-75 victory over the Lithuanians in the battle for third place.

“I’m really happy to be here,” Quinteros said upon his return to Spain.

“I’m looking forward because this year is a big challenge for both the club and me. I come with my batteries recharged.”

Hard battles are ahead, but it’s going to take a long time for Quinteros to lose the smile that has been on his face ever since Argentina won the bronze medal.

Quinteros and his teammates celebrated as if they had won gold.

“I have to take care of the bronze medal as though it were a gold medal,” Quinteros said.

“It’s not easy to get one.

“The fact that I was there in Beijing and was able to play at that level made me proud.”

JWalk126
09-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Bamberg Signs Alexander Johnson
Source: EuroCupBasketball.com (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/35017/448)

Brose Baskets Bamberg has completed its roster for the coming season with the signing of Alexander Johnson. The center arrives from Miami of the NBA, where he averaged 4.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 43 games last season. Johnson (208, 25) first made a name for himself with a successful college basketball career at Florida State University. He averaged 13.2 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1 blocked shot during his final season at the school in 2006. Johnson then spent a season with Memphis in the NBA before signing with Miami.

"Alexander is a tall, athletic player who bring very good rebounding ability and a physical game under the basket that will help complete the team," head coach Chris Fleming said. "After two years in the NBA, Bamberg is his first stop outside of the USA. We must give him a certain amount of time to acclimate himself."

Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/)

Brose Baskets made a great transfer move by signing former NBA center Alexander Johnson(2.08-C) and they announced it via their official website. Johnson graduated from Florida State University.

He was selected by the Indiana Pacers at number 45 in the second round of the 2006 Draft. The Indiana Pacers traded his right to Memphis where he played 59 games and averaged 4.4 points and 3 rebounds.

Next season he signed a contract with Miami where he played 43 games and averaged 4.2 points and 2.2 rebounds. Miami decided to release him and Brose didn't lose the opportunity to bolster their front line with an NBA caliber player.

Beno7500
09-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Why do you lie FIBA?

JWalk126
09-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Valencia officially Signs Kosta Perovic

Valencia announced Kosta Perovic for 3 seasons via their official website. The spanish team took the opportunity of signing the serbian center after the Golden State Warriors released him last weekend and this is probably the best way to make up for the Van Der Spiegel debacle who left the spanish team without signing his contract although he had initially agreed.

Perovic passed his medical tests and signed his new 3-year contract. The 23-year old serbian center left Partizan with high hopes and was signed by the Golden State Warriors last season after he was drafted at number 38 in the 2nd round of the 2006 NBA Draft. Perovic only managed to play 7 games last season and averaged 1.4 points and 1.9 rebounds.
Unicaja Malaga is renegotiating Welsch's contract

According to italian and spanish media Unicaja Malaga is re-negotiating Jiri Welsch's(1.98-SG/SF) contract in order to add a new clause to it that will allow them to renew his contract if they wish to. The czech player that is currently helping his National Team in the Eurobasket preliminary games has been an integral part of Unicaja Malaga over the last few years and his contribution has been valued byt the administration of the team.

Last season he averaged 9.6 points 3 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 30 Euroleague games for Malaga.
Tau announced Mustafa Shakur

Tau Ceramica signed american point guard(1.90-PG) Mustafa Shakur to complete their roster for the next season. It was announced today via their official website. The contract is for one season and Shakur will be completing the trio in the point guard position with Pablo Prigioni and youngster Matias Nocedal.

Shakur played in Prokom last season, a team that went through players like there was no tomorrow, and got some playing time in the Euroleague. He graduated from Arizona College where he played for the Wildcats.

Tau Ceramica has completed its roster for the upcoming season by inking playmaker Mustafa Shakur to a one-year deal. He averaged 11.9 points, 4 rebounds and 6.9 assists in his senior season with the Wildcats. Shakur helped Prokom to win the Polish League and the Polish Cup titles last season. Last season he averaged 7.6 points 2.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 7 games in the Euroleague playing for Prokom.

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/

JWalk126
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Pamesa signs center Kosta Perovic

One of the best young European centers is returning to Europe now that Kosta Perovic has inked a multi-year deal with Pamesa Valencia. Perovic (218, 23) was a standout player for Partizan Belgrade in his native Serbia for the first chunk of his career. He averaged 10.8 points on 50% shooting, 6.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 20 Euroleague appearances two seasons ago. Last year he traveled to Golden State of the NBA, but would feature in only seven games. Perovic did take part in 21 games for the club's farm team, Bakersfield, in which he posted 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots. Perovic has also played for the Serbian national team at the 2006 World Championships in Japan.

Azovmash adds defensive ace Van den Spiegel

Azovmash Mariupol has completed an intimidating frontline for the coming season with the signing of two-time Euroleague champion Tomas Van den Spiegel. The veteran center signed a two-year deal with the club. Van den Spiegel (214, 30) arrives from CSKA Moscow, which he joined midway through last season and helped to its second Euroleague crown in three seasons. He began that season with Polish champion Prokom and averaged 7.6 points, 5.5 points and 1 block in 18 games with both teams. He was the Week 4 with one of the greatest performances in Euroleague history – 27 points on 8-for-11 shooting, 13 rebounds and 3 steals for a 50 index – in a 75-87 win at Virtus Bologna. Van den Spiegel was competition's regular season blocked shots leader with 1.7 per game and is tied for 11th on the all-time blocks list with 72. This will be Van den Spiegel's second time playing in the Eurocup. He previously played four games for Virtus Roma in the 2005-06 campaign, averaging 7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1 block. He has also played for Osiris Denderleeuw, BBC Aalst and BC Oostende in his native Belgium and Fortitudo Bologna in Italy.

"I have been told that Mariupol is a good basketball city" Van den Spiegel said after signing. "I know some of the players in Azovmash and I am familar with Uche Nsonwu and Simonas Serapinas. We all got together in this team to play good basketball and get good results."

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/

JWalk126
09-21-2008, 05:09 AM
its official!

Fizer is gone :dance: