PDA

View Full Version : Rangers off season discussion

Sbank
05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Post off topic thoughts on the team, ideas for trades and signing ideas as well. Sorry to put this up to fast since you lost the series with the penguins.

jetsfan89
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
:cry:

say adios to shanny, malik, mara and roszival (i stood up for roszival but he doesn't shoot the puck like he's supposed to and those bad penalties pretty much changed my mind).

id try to release hollweg, too many bad penalties.

bring up korpikowski, sauer, sanguinetti, cherepanov if he comes over.

thats my thoughts anyways.

should be an interesting offseason.

Desert Plains
05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Post off topic thoughts on the team, ideas for trades and signing ideas as well. Sorry to put this up to fast since you lost the series with the penguins.

Why is a Penguin fan starting Ranger threads?

jetsfan89
05-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Why is a Penguin fan starting Ranger threads?

he's a TM for all the NHL forums. Thats why he's starting threads for every team not just the rangers.

Desert Plains
05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
he's a TM for all the NHL forums. Thats why he's starting threads for every team not just the rangers.

I still don't like it!

DaBoys31188
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
you know what cracks me up, how the penguin fans think their team is like genius. yea your gonna get the cream of the crop when you are the worst team for 5 years straight

t3hg00se
05-04-2008, 10:13 PM

say adios to shanny, malik, mara and roszival (i stood up for roszival but he doesn't shoot the puck like he's supposed to and those bad penalties pretty much changed my mind).

Probably going to say g'bye to Jagr too.

Korpikowski played a good game today.

Desert Plains
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Well, all in all, I'd say it was a disappointing season. We struggled just to make the playoffs. Then after beating the Devils - and it was a lot closer than a 4 - 1 series - we play enough bad periods over 5 games to come away with only one win in the second round.

I can't think of another problem that's more critical that needs to be fixed then the Power Play. It's non-existence basically sealed our fate in round 2. I don't know if it's a quarterback or different groupings of players, but to me it seems obvious – it was too predictable and rarely did we have movement without the puck or quick passes, which open seams in the defense.

Here’s my breakdown...
Renney (and staff) – all in all, I think he’s okay. He doesn’t get too excited with the wins nor too down with the losses. I think he keeps it pretty even, which I think is a good thing for the players. Some faults he’s a bit to loyal and needs to be less willing to just roll 4 lines all the time. The game situation needs to determine the amount of ice time for the 4th line. He could be a bit more fiery sometimes with the officials to get some calls. And, he needs to take a lot of the heat for really not doing much to fix the Power Play. And, the reality is that Sather is not likely to get rid of him anyway.
Hank - we know he's back as #1 goalie.
Vali - Solid #2, hope he's back.
Rosi - I think he's a FA, and after not clearing that puck in game #1 against the Pens, he can go.
Malik - He's gone because Renney has no faith in him. But, he's better then given credit for.
Staal - He'll be a corner stone.
Girardi - he'll be back.
Tyutin - probably back, but he's been disappointing, so I could see him getting traded.
Backman - I think we're stuck with him - his contract makes him tough to trade.
Strudwick - he'll be back if he wants to remain the 7th or 8th d-man.
Mara - I think he's a FA. If so, I'm not sure he'll be back. But, if he plays with an edge like in game 4, he’s a plus. And without Rosi around, he might get some PP time.
Jagr - I think it's 50/50 he's back.
Straka - we have to move on.
Dubi - he's here for the long haul. Give him some finishers on the wings and he's a future All-Star. You have to love his passion.
Shanny – A good citizen and probably good to have around for the kids, but it’s time to move on.
Gomez - Big Contract - he's here for 6 more years.
Avery - I can't see us not re-signing him. We have too.
Callahan - He's here, but he needs to be more involved. Too many games you barely noticed that he was dressed.
Drury - See Gomez, but we need much more from him.
Dawes - He's here. He sees the ice and finds the open player. And I think he'll score more.
Betts - I think he'll be back. Good 4th line center and penalty killer. But, if we can get someone that scores more, he'll be an extra.
Orr - He'll likely be back. But with fighting down so much, I'm not sure he needs to be in the line-up every night.
Hollweg - after some bonehead plays, I'd be okay with him getting shipped out. Though, aside from him and Avery, and Dubi and Callahan once in a while, who else is willing to throw his body around?
Prucha - I'd consider trading him, but he has basically no trade value at this point after being a scratch most nights this year.

Our main needs are some additional finishers up front, a puck moving defensemen and some more toughness/punishers on D. Filling those first 2 needs should help the power play as well.

With the Gomez, Drury, and Hank contracts, plus potential deals with Avery and Jagr, we might not have much cap space. So, much of the fixing might have to come from within. So Hutchinson and Sanguinetti should be given shots on Defense. Baranka might help on D as well. As for the forwards, I know we have some guys at Hartford, but I'm not sure any of them are 35 goal scorers at the NHL level. I'd like to see Cherepanov next year - I think he can add some life into the top 3 lines. But, he's still under contract in Russia for another year, and Sather hasn't been able to get him out of it. We might need to fill some forward needs via trades or free agents (if we have cap space). But, we need to always consider speed, including the D. Some big guys are needed, but they can’t be guys that can’t move.

That's my quick assessment. What do you guys think? Anyone more familar with the guys in Hartford? Maybe there's more NHL level talent there then I see.

DaBoys31188
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
that was pretty on point, i think cherepanov will come if Sather can work something out by not signing Jagr and referring him over to the Russian Super League, i think that played into our reasoning for drafting him. I say why not marian hossa, heill be a FA no way the Pens can afford him, korpikoski is good i liked the way played today, not just the goal, but he can play.

t3hg00se
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
that was pretty on point, i think cherepanov will come if Sather can work something out by not signing Jagr and referring him over to the Russian Super League, i think that played into our reasoning for drafting him. I say why not marian hossa, heill be a FA no way the Pens can afford him, korpikoski is good i liked the way played today, not just the goal, but he can play.

I was thinking Hossa too, he's a complete rental.

viktor06
05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Resign Jagr...he will come for a good price and is a true leader, I wouldnt judge Rozsival based on one series too...he's a good defenseman

Desert Plains
05-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Resign Jagr...he will come for a good price and is a true leader, I wouldnt judge Rozsival based on one series too...he's a good defenseman

I hear you about Rozsival. To me that was just the final straw. I just got tired of watching him on the point on the PP and not shooting, and too many other times missing a clear that comes back to haunt us. Otherwise, he was up and down all year. If we plan to go further in the playoffs, he's just not good enough to be in the #1 pairing. We have to get better guys and let him slide down to the #2 or 3 pairing.

As for Hossa, I hadn't thought of him. My guess would be that he won't come cheap, though maybe not as much as Drury and Gomez. Will we have the cap space? And, is someone younger a better option? I don't know. I did hear Dave Maloney on the FAN this morning, and he questioned whether Hossa would be a good fit or not.

Dave also mentioned the need for more toughness on the blue line as well. Guys that move people from the crease. We don't have anyone who does that. And he mentioned Brian Campbell as well - though he thought there were some down sides:
- the cost (he will probably get something like $5M or more) and contract length
- the fact that Sanguinetti might be here next year or the year after
- and his thinking that Staal will get better offensively, so with Sanguinetti, we might not need another D that's more offensive.

robdesign13
05-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I have to say we have to resign Jagr and bring up Cherepanov. Try to get Gomez Dub and Drury some wingers. That was our problem all year: goal scoring finishers. Chances we had, goals and esp PP goals, we didn't. Hossa could be expensive, but definitely well worth it.

Unfortunately I think Shanny is finished. I love the guy and his knowledge, and professionalism, but it might be time. I might give him another year, maybe. It's hard to say goodbye, but you have to read the writing on the wall sometimes.

The next thing we need is some bigger defense-men. Rozsival is our best defense-man. That is very very sad. The guy has a hard time handling the puck, shooting it and keeps making bonehead turnovers. Stall and Giardi have a lot of potential but we really need a top tier guy or two to lead us into battle. Tutin and Mara are good, smart players, I say keep em.

Still I think we need better wingers.

NDNATION
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I think the way the season ended last year it was disappointing bc of being eliminated but there was excitement going into this year. However it's a big step backwards the way this season ended. I have been killing Bozoval since game 5 vs the Sabres and don't see how he was our #1 dman all year. Renney has to answer to why there were absolutely no changes to the !st unit of the pp all year. The Rangers in my opinion have to get a more bigger and stronger presence on the blue line and the wings. Callahan is tough as nails but the Rangers need some bigger players. They are solide down the middle, wish to see Gomez and Drury as the 1 and 2 centers. Staal Giraldi and Tutyn are fine on the blueline. Staal in my opinion when he fills out can be a Beukeboom type dman w a little more scoring. Mara for the right price I don't mind. Bozoval in my opinion is an abatross on the pp and is a turnover machine. Mastink is done and Sister Christian may have already played himself out of the lineup. There is no need for Straka at all on this team. I don't mind bringing back Shanny as veteran leadership/grinder role. I think Renney has to improve a bunch bc he might be that type of coach to get u to a certain level but not over the top, a la Buck Showwalter (I know it's a different sport) If the Rangers can get some size,and a little more toughness they will be a true team to reckon with with.

Desert Plains
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
I think the way the season ended last year it was disappointing bc of being eliminated but there was excitement going into this year. However it's a big step backwards the way this season ended. I have been killing Bozoval since game 5 vs the Sabres and don't see how he was our #1 dman all year. Renney has to answer to why there were absolutely no changes to the !st unit of the pp all year. The Rangers in my opinion have to get a more bigger and stronger presence on the blue line and the wings. Callahan is tough as nails but the Rangers need some bigger players. They are solide down the middle, wish to see Gomez and Drury as the 1 and 2 centers. Staal Giraldi and Tutyn are fine on the blueline. Staal in my opinion when he fills out can be a Beukeboom type dman w a little more scoring. Mara for the right price I don't mind. Bozoval in my opinion is an abatross on the pp and is a turnover machine. Mastink is done and Sister Christian may have already played himself out of the lineup. There is no need for Straka at all on this team. I don't mind bringing back Shanny as veteran leadership/grinder role. I think Renney has to improve a bunch bc he might be that type of coach to get u to a certain level but not over the top, a la Buck Showwalter (I know it's a different sport) If the Rangers can get some size,and a little more toughness they will be a true team to reckon with with.

Sorry, I'm a little slow in the mornings. Mastink is who and Sister Christian players where???

As for your other points - I agree Rosi can go (or at least be given less playing time - he's not a #1 D-man). Though, I like Shanny and he brings the leadership that Jagr doesn't, he's too slow for this game at this point. He just doesn't fit anymore.

On D - I'm okay with Staal (obviously) and Girardi. I'm not so sure about Tyutin though. I though he had a disappointing year. And the pair with Girardi was not really very good. Keep one of them for the 3rd pair (maybe with Mara). And get a big, tough guy to pair with Staal on the 1st pair.

Drury23
05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Give Drury the C, I think the Rangers should give Drury the C on his jersey, hes a great player and he gives it his all like we saw in game 5 when he got hit in the face hes a true winner and warrior, he came back in the game to give his team a chance to win. Drury needs to be the captain if Jagr doesnt come back.

Rangers in 7
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
redden, liles, orpik, weber, and suter are 5 options to shore up the defense, they all could be affective and would help. redden and liles both could be effective on the powerplay while orpik, weber, or suter would be that tough defensemen we need on the point

up front the high priced options will include hossa and malone, other then that, there arent many high priced forwards, hossa is the main attraction on the market though.....and we would have the salary cap space to accommodate, other then that are options are all in house, but this isnt such a bad idea as we do have plenty of talent down there, possibly a couple of 35 goal scorers

jetsfan89
05-06-2008, 07:33 PM
i think you guys dont realize how much salary cap will play into this offseason.

so accoridng to nhl numbers.com we have a little less than 2 million space(1.8 to be exact) assuming that we get rid of shanny, malik, and mara (which im not so sure may happen)that opens up about 10.5 million in capspace so we're back to 41 mil or so in cap space.

then first things first we must re-sign sean avery. that would take about 4 mil so we're at 45 mil. we're not too sure if roszival, jagr, and straka are coming back. i want to get jagr back at a decent price at lets say 3 mil so we're at 48 mil. if we say goodbye to roszival and straka that opens up about 5.4 mil so we're at 43.6 in capspace.

lets not forget that nigel dawes, greg moore, frederick sjostrom, ivan baranka are all RFA. assuming of course that only dawes and sjostrom will be on our nhl roster it should cost us at least a mil if we're talking nhl roster and it shouldnt take much to get moore and baranka signed if we're looking at them to be on our opening day roster so that would leave us with maybe around 45-46 in capspace. i suppose we should resign valiquette to the same price as last year leaving us at 46-47 capspace max.

then the rest of the roster spots would be filled with prospects.

that leaves us with a bit of flexibility but not enough that we go after marian hossa and totally screw ourselves in cap hell. we could go after a guy that may cost us 3-5 mil but hossa would go to 7 so i dont think we can do that.

interesting offseason to say the least.

NDNATION
05-06-2008, 09:25 PM
If we get we say goodbye to Straka and Rozsival. Why wouldn't we. Straka is way to expensive for his lack of production on the 1st line and powerplay. Rozsival was exposed all season in the defensive zone. He couldn't clear rebounds, constantly running around, to slow allows people to beat him to the outside, and refuses to shoot on the powerplay. Also was a turnover machine. His production in the second half was no where to be found.
The Rangers salary cap space is fine when you take away Jagr (4m) Straka (3.3) Kasparatis (3.1) Malik (2.5) and Rozsival (2.3). That's over 15 million in cap space that gets cut by a million due to Dan Giraldi million dollar increase in salary next year. 14 million is fine to sigh a free agent defenseman and resign their own RFAs.

Rangers in 7
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
dont forget the cap is going to rise...ive heard around 5 or 6 million, so with all the money coming off the books and the cap raising we are in perfect shape

shtimp7
05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
jagr, shanny, malik, straka, rozsival should all go.. if jagr could play the whole season like he played in the playoffs then he should stay but i think he wouldnt so goodbye.
staal, girardi, and i like tyutin... the rest -- mara -eh .. backman-- i don rely like..
we need some 2 hard hitting defensemen and a 2 of scoring wingers..
what are the suggestions??

Desert Plains
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I think if we can get Jagr at a reasonable price - say maybe $3M - $3.5M, we keep him. He's still good enough to force teams to focus on him, taking pressure off the other 2 scoring lines.

I don't think Hossa is a good option. 1) He seems to play best when he's not the star on the team, and coming here, he might feel that he's the goal scoring savior we need; 2) If he costs around $7M, that's too much for one player in this off-season where we have multiple holes to fill.

Sure, getting rid of Shanny, Straka, Malik, Rosi and lowering Jagr's salary will provide some cap relief, along with a cap increase. But, we might need 2 forwards and 2 defensemen. Though, if they decide Sanguinetti is ready, maybe we just need to sign one tough, physical defensemen. And, then I don't mind bringing Mara back as the 6th defensemen.

As for additional cap issues, I thought the salaries for Gomez and Drury go up in year 2, meaning they will take up more cap space then they did this year.

Rolston sounds like a good option. He's good defensively, has speed and a good shot. If Sanguinetti isn't ready and the cost for guys like Campbell and Redden are too high (which I assume they will be), Rolston offers a nice option for the point on the PP.

NDNATION
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Rolston would def help out on the penalty kill and team speed. But to rely on Renney to play Rolston on the point is a stretch. Remember the Rangers signed Matt Cullen to play the point on the powerplay and Renney never used him there. I would like to see the Rangers get bigger on the wings and meaner on the blueline.

Rangers in 7
05-07-2008, 03:48 PM
well after not advancing past the second round 2 years in a row, and seeing our powerplay continually struggle maybe he will wake up and play rolston on the point

NDNATION
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
What makes you think that? What changes to the powerplay did he make all year?

jetsfan89
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
If we get we say goodbye to Straka and Rozsival. Why wouldn't we. Straka is way to expensive for his lack of production on the 1st line and powerplay. Rozsival was exposed all season in the defensive zone. He couldn't clear rebounds, constantly running around, to slow allows people to beat him to the outside, and refuses to shoot on the powerplay. Also was a turnover machine. His production in the second half was no where to be found.
The Rangers salary cap space is fine when you take away Jagr (4m) Straka (3.3) Kasparatis (3.1) Malik (2.5) and Rozsival (2.3). That's over 15 million in cap space that gets cut by a million due to Dan Giraldi million dollar increase in salary next year. 14 million is fine to sigh a free agent defenseman and resign their own RFAs.

Kasparitis' salary counted? not sure about that. and i say im not sure to straka cause he does alot of underrated work on the boards and had a solid playoffs that may not be good for a first line but is fine with a second or third line.

and why are you guys hating on renney he's a smart man who's not afraid to play the youngsters we'll be fine with him.

NDNATION
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I have no problem with Renney playing the kids. Just didn't agree with Duby on the 1st line and Drury on the 3rd line. I have a major problem with Renney handling the powerplay and the numbers speak for volumes. He never made any changes at all and our 1st pp line production was a joke.
Why have Straka on the 3rd line when there are cheaper and better productive players than him. Straka doing a lot of work on the boards? Don't remember any since Duby did all the dirty work on that line. Cut his bloated salary for good. 10 games in the playoffs doesn't warrant a new contract when he did nothing in the regular season. Dawes will put up better numbers for far less money.

Rangers in 7
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I have no problem with Renney playing the kids. Just didn't agree with Duby on the 1st line and Drury on the 3rd line. I have a major problem with Renney handling the powerplay and the numbers speak for volumes. He never made any changes at all and our 1st pp line production was a joke.
Why have Straka on the 3rd line when there are cheaper and better productive players than him. Straka doing a lot of work on the boards? Don't remember any since Duby did all the dirty work on that line. Cut his bloated salary for good. 10 games in the playoffs doesn't warrant a new contract when he did nothing in the regular season. Dawes will put up better numbers for far less money.

id have to agree, although i like straka hes getting way to old and his time is coming to an end. and ndnation, i was agreeing that renney did not help out the powerplay and i believe didnt do enough to make it successful...im not saying at all though that hes a bad coach.... every coach has there weaknesses maybe his is powerplay

NDNATION
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I have my problems with Renney. I think he is the type of coach that gets you to a certain level and thats it. Lets remember he DID start Kevin Weekes over Henri in a playoff game. Also played BRAD ISBISTER on the 1st line for half a season plus the playoffs with Isbister getting a grand 5 pts in those games. The Rangers have been taking bad penalties for how long with no end in sight. And now this genetic diaster of a powerplay. I'm not saying he his garbarge but he is not going to lead the Rangers to the promise land either.

Rangers in 7
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I have my problems with Renney. I think he is the type of coach that gets you to a certain level and thats it. Lets remember he DID start Kevin Weekes over Henri in a playoff game. Also played BRAD ISBISTER on the 1st line for half a season plus the playoffs with Isbister getting a grand 5 pts in those games. The Rangers have been taking bad penalties for how long with no end in sight. And now this genetic diaster of a powerplay. I'm not saying he his garbarge but he is not going to lead the Rangers to the promise land either.

good point, but people do seem to have faith in him, he did lead us from garbage to playoffs, but u are right that he may have reached his ceiling with team....can he even take them even higher, i dont know

jetsfan89
05-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Listen, Jagr felt more comfortable playing with Duby then Drury or Gomez. Jagr is a first liner so he had to put Duby there. I dont ahve a prob with Drury on the third line. His style of play works well with Dawes and he'll be able to play with some of the 'spects that are comin up. Drury doesn't mind and he still plays an important part of the team.

And as far as im concerned Straka AND Duby did the work. Im not saying sign him to the same money obviousl thats not happening but if he wants to come back and at a reasonable price why not?

NDNATION
05-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Do not want Straka in a Rangers uniform even if he played for free. Peplace him w one of the hungrier guys in the system who will produce more and play a better all around game than him.

jetsfan89
05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Do not want Straka in a Rangers uniform even if he played for free. Peplace him w one of the hungrier guys in the system who will produce more and play a better all around game than him.

well at this point i think his future hinges around whether cherepanov is coming next year or not. if he does, he's gone. if not, then he might stick around.

but thats my opinions

Desert Plains
05-10-2008, 11:03 PM

Straka is still a preety decent player. Still capable of adding some value as maybe a 3rd line winger and penalty killer. There might even be a spot for him as a checker on the forth line. He's not big, but he's got some speed and usually plays a smart defensive game.

That said, I've been saying since the season ended, that we should still let him go. The reasoning being I think we have guys in the system capable of duplicating what Straka brings to the table. So, why not go younger and give another one of the kids a shot to replace him. Though some of the kids have been good and key to this years team, I think we still need to get younger and quicker.

NDNATION
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Cherepanov is not going to be on the Rangers this year. The Russian Ice Federation is going to hold the Rangers over the coals to fork over a ton of money before they can even start a contract negotiation. What kind of production is Sraka going to make if he only scored 16 goals while playing on the 1st line and the powerplay, if he is on the 3rd or 4th line? It doesn't make any sense at all to have him back. There are plenty of kids in the system that need to be given a chance. Straka better have played his last game as a Ranger.

nyteamsports09
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
we need to re-sign avery thats a must....................i like what i saw from the young guys this year hopefully we will have more up next season

viktor06
06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Just wondering guys, what do you think is the market FA price (as in contract) of Jagr and Straka? Whats the most they are willing to throw at Jagr to stay?

Desert Plains
06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
It doesn't seem like we need to be concerned about a market for Jagr. So far, all signs point to him either remaining with the Rangers or signing with the Russian team that's been after him. It doesn't sound like he considers another NHL team an option. All the rumors have the Russian team offering him up to $12M per year. Obviously, he's not getting anything close to that here. But, he seems to want to stay and is looking for some love from Sather - indicating that maybe if he gets a decent enough offer for the Rangers, he might pass on the $12M in Russia.

In my opinion, if Sather offers him a deal, he'll be back.

As for Straka - I assume some teams will look at him. He's still pretty quick, plays a good defensive game and is a smart player. A top team looking to plug a hole on a 3rd or 4th line, might be interested in him. Hopefully, Sather decides to pass and Renney uses that opening for one of the kids in the system.

kyomack
06-11-2008, 05:11 PM

agreed, although i would keep mara, and get rid of orr and straka

letsgorangers27
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
waive howlegg backman(maybe depending on training camp)
byebye shanny malik rosival straka(only if jagr doesnt come back otherwise expect him back)
keep jagr avery mara(if price is right) vally strudwick(like a coach on the ice)
call up korpikoski sags pock(give him a shot @ camp)
go after roloson/ryder

letsgorangers27
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
btw i 4got where i heard this but they might push 2 trade 4 nylander. then resign 4 however longer jagr stays. i dont recall where i heard that from though. so that means some1 might have 2 move 2 the wing probably drury who has experience on the left side

lamontenyr
06-13-2008, 01:54 AM
The Rangers have a lot of their own they have to worry about...

As much as I loved watching Shanny during his short time with the Rangers, I think all will be better off if he decides to retire. He still has the ability to score goals, but he's lost a step or two. He was pretty invisible in the second half of the season and in the playoffs. Straka may have a similar fate. He's a gamer and is always a constant but his production has dipped and lets face it...the Rangers need size on the wings.

I would hope Sather is smart enough to bring back Avery. He's fast, he's got offensive talent, and at the same time the Rangers need. They are clearly better when he's mixing it up. I would like to see Jagr back too. He showed what he can still do at the end of the season and in the playoffs but it's hard to say whether he always gave it his best. Malone or maybe Prospal may be good offensive pick ups.

The blueline is my concern. Tyutin and Girardi play a good solid style of D, and Staal is just going to keep getting better. But, it looks like they'll be stuck with Backman. He's big, pretty slow, and doesn't have any physicality to his game. I would consider bringing Rozsival back. I think nagging injuries led to his pretty disappointing season. They do get to drop Malik, Mara and Kasper's contracts which helps and can possibly go after Campbell, Orpik, or Liles.

Desert Plains
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Prospal would be an interesting guy, especially if Jagr is back, since JJ likes to play with his countrymen on his line. Could a line of Prospal, Dubinsky and JJ be a solid #1? Maybe.

As for the D - we need a top notch, tough defensemen to pair with Staal as the #1 pair. Rozsival isn't that guy. I don't think Orpik fits as a #1 guy either. But, if we find that #1 guy to pair with Staal, I'd consider Mara before Rosi for the 3rd pairing. And if there is no #1 type D-man available via free agnecy, and if we really have the abundance of prospects that the organization eludes to all the time, then trading some prospects for that #1 D-man needs to be done.

And Campbell doesn't seem like a good fit - cap space might come into play and it seems he wants to hit the jackpot with his contract. And if he does, the team that signs him with regret it - he won't be worth the money that it seems he's going to get.

viktor06
06-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I just read an article that Jagr got offered 3year/35m$ by Omsk, after tax too. If that is true, I dont see how can he reject that...

t3hg00se
06-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Think the Rangers could make a run for Brad Stuart?

jetsfan89
06-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I just read an article that Jagr got offered 3year/35m$ by Omsk, after tax too. If that is true, I dont see how can he reject that...

there's more to it then just money.

viktor06
06-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree, but you know Jagr....he could play in the blackout season here, but after several games he decided to go to Omsk, because of money, although here he was attracting full stands and was the premiere star of...like all sports. Dont forget his problems with money and casinos too.

I believe that offer was exxagerated and he will hopefully resign if the rangers give him 2y/10m + bonuses

NDNATION
07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
What about the Rangers making an offer to restricted free agent Shea Weber of Nashville? He is young, tough and has a bomb of a shot which would be nice on out genetic disasterf a powerplay. Hopefully in one hour we can finally kiss goodbye Jagr Bozival and Straka. Good riddance. Would've been nice if we could've signed Ryan Malone to play wing. Don't understand how Tampa trades Richards for salary reasons than doles out huge contracts to Malone, Boyle and signs Gayry Roberts as well?

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Yea the Tampa thing mixes me up to, but maybe his salary or cap hit goes up? Perhaps they thought they could take it and allocate it into differnt players to fill more depth, which they've done. I mean with Richards salary alone they got Roberts AND Malone, and they just got VinnyP back, good signing.

But I'm not huge on Malone, perhaps he could've been a good piece, but at that price I wouldn't want him. But why get rid of Jags? One year off and everyones ****ting on him, especially after he ressurected this franchise from the grave, almost singlehandedly.

But along the lines of Weber, man for our first four rounders? I'd probalby do it. Him or Bouwmeester for that matter. That's not even a bad idea, risky, but with the cap going up and the fact that we should be a top 10 finish team every year the way were building, perhaps we could get away with getting rid of 4 of them.

Desert Plains
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
What about the Rangers making an offer to restricted free agent Shea Weber of Nashville? He is young, tough and has a bomb of a shot which would be nice on out genetic disasterf a powerplay. Hopefully in one hour we can finally kiss goodbye Jagr Bozival and Straka. Good riddance. Would've been nice if we could've signed Ryan Malone to play wing. Don't understand how Tampa trades Richards for salary reasons than doles out huge contracts to Malone, Boyle and signs Gayry Roberts as well?

I'm pretty sure Weber signed a 3-year deal last week to remain in Nashville.

pavel96
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
jagr should suck it up and take one for the team and take less money, he ain't worth 5 mil a year right now, he just doesnt have it anymore

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I say we turn our attention towards trading for Bouwmeester now. Soup is asking for alot, Bouwmeester is about as good and has a butt load of potential left, he's a well rounded player, and would be worht the asking price to lock him up for the next 5-7 years.

NDNATION
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Bouwmeester is a restricted free agent. But you can forget that idea now with the Rangers giving Bozival a 20 mil 4 year deal. Another four years of horrendous def zone play, no shots on the power play and weak play paired with soft/stupid penalties. I can't believe they give 5 mil a yr to Bozival but won't give 4 mil to Avery.

nybronxbomber26
07-02-2008, 03:20 AM
i think jagr needs to realize that as the captain of the most profitable big market hockey franchise in the NHL that he needs to take one for the team here. even 5 million is a stretch for jagr. jagr should be smart here. he could sign with the rangers for 3.5 to 4 million a year for 2 years. he would still be the veteran presence we need to mix with the young guys and jagr can still play.

if jagr signs with the a team across the pond, he will not be remembered as a great player and captain for the blueshirts, but a deserter who left the team that he helped resurect behind just for money

also, this would allow us to re-sign avery, a move that defenately needs to be done....i think he does want to stay in new york and with the cap increase, we can afford his salary.

FlyersPhanatic9
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
The Rangers just traded Tyutin and Backman for Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche from Columbus.
Good trade IMO.
Breaking news on TSN.

nybronxbomber26
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
WAY TO GO SLATS....AVERY SIGNED A 4 YEAR DEAL WITH THE DALLAS STARS...and the crumble begins...

viktor06
07-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Bardin (GM of Omsk) said he has agreed on terms with Jagr...he's full of ****, but still :cry:

NYR_Nation_1968
07-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Avery was doomed in N.Y the players hated him as his head started to get bigger then the team. future replacment Andrea Jamtin from sweeden. check him on youtube

Without Jagr now i think you will see a much more relaxed team now as it becomes Gomez and Drurys team.

For Redden we gave to 2 years to many but to get one of the 10 elite defensmen in the league today you have to pony up. Staal in 3 years will be the backbone of the Defense and by that time Reddens ice time will decrease by 5 min a game and he should still be effective with all the other components around him.

Zherdev has AO potential as its been said by many hockey anaylist although he must put it all together and prove this. At times he has shown this but again stuck on the Blue Jackets a switch to N.Y and with Russian influence here might be just what he needs to feel comfortable. Grade trade by sather.

The Rangers have the youngest team by combined age in the Atlantic 27.3 years of age blended with good kids and some good vetrans. I see a fiesty team for 2008-09 and a future power house in 2 years.

CurseThis
07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Avery has never once scored 20 goals in his entire career and disappeared in the 2nd round of the playoffs two years in a row. Yes, he's one of the best agitators in the game, but you don't pay that amount of money to an agitator with bad wrists in a capped league. Plus, 4 years is ridiculous for a guy who has worn out his welcome on three different teams in 6 seasons. That's an average of 2 years per team... with limited playing time in his first two seasons.

Plus... once the Rangers realized that they weren't bringing back Jagr and Shanny, the two guys who kept him somewhat in check in the locker room, it spelled disaster for the future. The only reason the Stars are taking a chance on him is because he's buddies with Brett Hull from their days together with the Red Wings. Avery used to live with Hull when he was a rookie, so the two are very close... and Hull was almost as big as a headcase as Avery is.

All things considered, Sather did an excellent job this offseason. I only have two complaints. The Redden contract is way too much money, and could be too may years depending on whether he got a no movement clause. If he didn't get a NMC, then you can just waive him and stick him in Hartford in the final year or so of his contract... much like we did with Kaspar. He could even retire and it wouldn't count against the cap since he signed before the age of 35.

My other complaint is the Kalinin deal. He's not good at all. If you talk to any Sabres fan they will tell you how awful the guy was. He doesn't hit, he doesn't cover his own zone well, and he has no offense. However, we were after Orpik and he took less to stay in Pittsburgh, which threw a wrench into Sather's plans. Still, I would have much rather signed Jason Smith. He would have cost slightly move than Kalinin and we would have had to give him an extra year (not a problem since he's 34 and waivable), but he's a SOLID defensive defenseman. He led the Flyers last season in blocked shots and was a good team leader.

The Zherdev/Fritsche trade was an absolute steal. Columbus was probably worried that Zherdev was going to bolt after the next season for Russia, since he's going to be a RFA. I'm not worried that he'll bolt now that he's in NYC. There's a large Russian population here and we have a lot of young Russian talent coming up through the system to keep him happy, between Anisimov, Cherepanov (if he comes over) and Grachev (who's playing in Canadian juniors next season). Hell, I think the only reason we signed Kalinin as our fallback option once Orpik signed in Pittsburgh was so that he could keep Zherdev company. Fritsche, meanwhile, plays a great 2-way game and has untapped offensive potential. He's going to have better talent around him in NY than he did in Columbus, plus he'll probably be moved to wing where he can focus a bit more on offense seeing how Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky and Betts are all extremely defensively responsible centers. He's going to fit into Renney's system like a glove and give guys like Callahan, Dawes, Prucha and Sjostrom a lot of competition for winger spots.

Naslund is a nice addition as well. He should put up similar point totals from last year at the least. He played RW last season, which isn't his natural side, and was on a team with an offense even worse than the Rangers were last season. He'll look good on Drury's LW and replace Shanny's production with better speed... and he won't die out halfway through the season like Shanny did.

Voros replaces Hollweg, who isn't even an NHLer as far as I'm concerned. He also has the Avery-factor in that he can get under the other teams' skin. He also can put in some goals. He had 7 goals and 7 assists in 55 games with Minny last season... which is more goals and points than Orr (1 G, 1 A), Betts (2 G, 5 A) and Hollweg (2G, 2 A) last season combined.

Check out this vicious hit Voros nails while coming out of the penalty box: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyepsQi1QGY

In any case... I'm willing to go to battle with this team. Without any kids coming up from Hartford and making things interesting, this is what we'll probably look like:

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Drury - Callahan
Sjostrom - Dubinsky - Fritsche
Voros - Betts - Orr
Prucha (I hope we trade him)
Rissmiller

Redden - Rozsival
Staal- Girardi
Mara - Kalinin
Potter? (a guess)

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Throw in the following prospects who might force themselves on the team at some point next season:
- Korpikoski (3rd/4th line wing): $1 million cap hit might be a bit too much for our cap problems
- Byers (4th line wing): competition for Orr and Voros
- Anisimov (3rd/4th line center/wing): a stretch, but I thought Dubinsky was this time last year too... has 1st/2nd line potential just needs more muscle/size
- Jessiman (4th line wing): competition for Orr
- Jamtin (3rd/4th line wing): competition for Voros
- Moore (4th line wing): call up to travel with team during injuries
- Sanguinetti (3rd pair d): long shot, but if he dominates the AHL and Kalinin or Mara end up disappointing and/or there's an injury he could get a shot
- Sauer (3rd pair d): same as above

NYGUY55
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
guys i know we are having some salary cap problems but is there any chance of us still being able to sign mats sundin?

jetsfan89
08-01-2008, 07:36 PM
guys i know we are having some salary cap problems but is there any chance of us still being able to sign mats sundin?

between no and no chance in hell

t3hg00se
08-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Curse, would you really want to break up Dawes and Drury? I feel they really played solid together last season, and built up a nice bond.

jetsfan89
08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Curse, would you really want to break up Dawes and Drury? I feel they really played solid together last season, and built up a nice bond.

callahan and dawes dont have enough offensive talent at the moment to pair up with a guy like chris drury. maybe later but not now. they're better off pairing with dubinsky.

CurseThis
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Dawes was better with Gomez, IMHO.

letsgorangers27
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
According to TFP we're still in the Sundin hunt

The Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers are all interested in Sundin, along with two other unknown franchises.
http://thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080805.html

jetsfan89
08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
According to TFP we're still in the Sundin hunt

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080805.html

lol i dont wanna be in salary cap hell.

CurseThis
08-08-2008, 05:46 AM
lol i dont wanna be in salary cap hell.

We already are in salary cap hell. Nothing like vastly overpaying Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist and now Redden to ruin your cap.

Even if the cap continues to jump up a few million each year, which I'm not sold on yet, how are we going to be able to bring back our RFAs?

RFAs after '08/'09 season:
- Zherdev
- Prucha
- Fritsche
- Sjostrom
- Dubinsky
- Dawes
- Callahan

RFAs after '09/'10 season:
- Girardi
- Staal
- a portion of the list from above that sign 1 year deals and are still arb eligible

Plus... it's not like we're losing any big money any time soon.

'08/'09 UFAs
- Rissmiller: $1 million
- Betts: $0.615 million
- Orr: $0.537 million
- Kalinin: $2.1 million
- Mara: $1.95 million
- Valiquette: $0.725 million
Total: $6.927 million

'09/'10 UFAs
- Naslund: $4 million

That's what you call little cap flexibility.

jetsfan89
08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
We already are in salary cap hell. Nothing like vastly overpaying Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist and now Redden to ruin your cap.

Even if the cap continues to jump up a few million each year, which I'm not sold on yet, how are we going to be able to bring back our RFAs?

RFAs after '08/'09 season:
- Zherdev
- Prucha
- Fritsche
- Sjostrom
- Dubinsky
- Dawes
- Callahan

RFAs after '09/'10 season:
- Girardi
- Staal
- a portion of the list from above that sign 1 year deals and are still arb eligible

Plus... it's not like we're losing any big money any time soon.

'08/'09 UFAs
- Rissmiller: $1 million
- Betts: $0.615 million
- Orr: $0.537 million
- Kalinin: $2.1 million
- Mara: $1.95 million
- Valiquette: $0.725 million
Total: $6.927 million

'09/'10 UFAs
- Naslund: $4 million

That's what you call little cap flexibility.

i didnt think lundqvist was vastly overpayed.

CurseThis
08-26-2008, 06:06 AM
i didnt think lundqvist was vastly overpayed.

He has the biggest cap hit out of any goalie in the NHL. Until he starts playing like the best goalie in the league and stops having those month-long slumps where he gives up a million goals, he's vastly overpaid.

letsgorangers27
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
We should have invited Bryan Berard to camp. If we liked him we could of signed him very cheaply and it would of gave us a very reliable puck-moving defenseman for a very small price

kyomack
08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
no he sucks

Desert Plains
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
We should have invited Bryan Berard to camp. If we liked him we could of signed him very cheaply and it would of gave us a very reliable puck-moving defenseman for a very small price

No, I think we have better options, including a couple of the kids. Berard was a decent player once, but not anymore.

And we had him once - gave him a chance when no one else would in his comeback attempt. Then he snubbed us and followed the money (showing no loyality or graditude for the opportunity we gave him).