PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Training Camp Thread- Larry Allen Update 08-22-08

jbeezy
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
49ers Get After it in First Practice print

Chrissy Mauck
May 02, 2008

The 49ers are looking for Vernon Davis to give their offense a much awaited spark in 2008, and the tight end was happy to oblige right out of the gates. During a team drill in the first practice of mini camp on Friday, Davis enthusiastically took on linebacker Parys Haralson on a play that continued beyond the whistle.

“You’ve got guys out there competing like Parys,” said Davis. “He was coming hard and like I always do, I got a little, not upset, just a little emotional. I didn’t mean anything towards him and we just started to compete.”

Both players got in at least one punch before Haralson went to the ground in a fight that ended when Davis tossed Haralson’s helmet to the sidelines. That’s when head coach Mike Nolan grabbed the tight end and told him to cool it for a few plays.

“Coach said to keep each other up and not to hurt each other and to control the anger and go on from there,” said Davis.

Some other highlights from the first practice included several grabs from Isaac Bruce, who made it look easy all practice long, and an interception by linebacker Brandon Moore.

Quarterback Alex Smith took the first reps with the first-team unit, with quarterback Shaun Hill expected to take the first reps with the first unit during the afternoon’s practice. Smith was full-go in the practice. Both players are expected to split the reps with the first unit as they compete for the starting quarterback position.

Every player on the 49ers roster was out on the field for the start of Friday’s three-day mini camp, except for G David Baas, who is recovering from surgery to repair his torn pectoral injury.

DT Joe Cohen, DE Melvin Oliver and LB Manny Lawson are not expected to participate in the camp as they continue rehabbing their ACL injuries, but all three did some light work in the individual periods.

Wide receiver Arnaz Battle was expected to go on Friday, but was held out in the morning practice after tweaking his ankle at the team hotel on Thursday night. Battle returned to practice Friday afternoon on a limited basis.

T Jonas Jennings worked in the morning practice, but was held out of the afternoon practice per the schedule that has been set out for the offensive lineman by the 49ers athletic training staff.

http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4194
Its nice to see Vernon getting all pumped up in mini camps.

jbeezy
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
49ers Mini Camp Info print

Chrissy Mauck
May 01, 2008

Although the majority of the team has been in over the last several weeks for the team's voluntary off-season strength and conditioning program, all players are expected to report for this weekend's mandatory mini camp - including the 49ers rookie class.

Players will undergo physicals and take their new mug shots on Thursday and then report early Friday morning for the official kickoff of the three-day camp.

Two practices are scheduled for Friday and Saturday with one practice set for Sunday.
Guard David Baas had surgery last week to repair a torn pectoral muscle and has been ruled out of the mini camp.

Defensive tackle Joe Cohen and linebacker Manny Lawson are also being held out of the camp as a precautionary measure after ACL injuries in 2007. Both players have been active in the team’s off-season program.

Quarterback Alex Smith is expected to have his snaps monitored over the weekend. He and quarterback Shaun Hill will alternate snaps with the first unit.

Following the mini camp and due to NFL rules, 49ers rookies will not be allowed to join the off-season conditioning until either May 16 or following the date of graduation at their respective universities. The rule was put in place to encourage athletes to finish school.

http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4190

Montana16
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
It sounds like Big Vern is already fired up:)

Crombiestudd6
05-02-2008, 09:32 PM
he is always fighting even last year in camp he did the same thing with someone esle i think it was larry allen

DerekRE_3
05-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah now Larry Allen isn't around to fight so he has moved on to other people. Ah this makes me want football season to start.

stag6004
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Coach Mike Nolan hopes that Davis doesn’t get into too many fights with teammates. Not because he thinks that his guys shouldn’t be fighting, but because Davis is generally regarded as a beast. ”In a fight, he’s a dangerous guy because he’s so strong,” Nolan said.
-profootballtalk.com

This is funny as hell.

9er4life
05-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Coach Mike Nolan hopes that Davis doesn’t get into too many fights with teammates. Not because he thinks that his guys shouldn’t be fighting, but because Davis is generally regarded as a beast. ”In a fight, he’s a dangerous guy because he’s so strong,” Nolan said.
-profootballtalk.com

This is funny as hell.

V.D. needs to jus calm his @$$ down and become the pro he was drafted to be, and stop trying to be the next damn T.O.!!! JUS BE A PRO MAN!!!

rapjuicer06
05-03-2008, 01:15 AM
i think its annoying. he shouldn't be getting in fights every practice. hes giving himself a bad name.

stag6004
05-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Come on, having a guy like VD is good for this team. He is not another T.O. He doesn't question Alex Smith's sexuality and doesn't scream and holler at coaches. He just brings it when he is on the field and if you are not ready for that, then watch out. He doesn't fight in games and besides his penalty for "excessive celebration" when he stepped on the pylon (bs by the way) he really hasn't had alot of dumb penalties. This team needs someone to toughen them up and punch someone in the head if they are slacking and not doing everything in their power to restore this franchise to greatness.

rapjuicer06
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
no team needs that. hes going to punch someone in the head when they have their helmet on and break his hand. you don't want people on your own team getting pissed at you and maybe wanting to take a cheap shot

yankees34
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
hahahah u gotta love that line nolan gave about V.D. but hopefully he can become a beast on the field

Poncho_707
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
hahahah u gotta love that line nolan gave about V.D. but hopefully he can become a beast on the field

why is phil hughes head so big on ur sig?

Tapptout
05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
He threw Pary's helmet across the field! What a man.

jbeezy
05-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Quick Notes from Saturday print

Chrissy Mauck
May 03, 2008

During this weekend’s mini camp, the 49ers are experimenting with the new rule that allows a headset in the helmet of one defensive player.

“It’s just to get a few of them comfortable to hearing it,” said head coach Mike Nolan.

Nolan indicated that some of his linebackers and safeties were all sampling the headset including Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis and Mark Roman.

“We get the call quick enough to where if we don’t like the call that is out there we can change it,” said Roman. “That’s something that was hard to do before. You’d be scrambling and not really get set until the ball was almost snapped.”

Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky had said a few weeks ago that he thought Nate Clements or Patrick Willis would end up wearing the headset since the pair played the most snaps last season, but at this point Nolan would just like to get several players familiar with the process.

Linebacker Shaun Richardson (groin) did not practice in the morning session, joining David Baas, Joe Cohen, Manny Lawson, and Melvin Oliver.

There was a brief squabble between center Cody Wallace and defensive tackle Ron Fields in the morning session that was quickly broken up.

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce continues to haul in everything in sight, diving and leaping if need be to come down with the catch as if it were a playoff game and not just mini camp.

The rookie out of Virginia Tech Josh Morgan also got open a few times and made some nice grabs and run after the catch moves for extra yardage.

Afternoon Update: The 49ers coaching staff opted to sit out WR Isaac Bruce in the afternoon practice to rest the veteran receiver.

Safety Dashon Goldson notched an interception for the defensive highlight, while rookie guard Chilo Rachal impressed his offensive teammates when he showed some burst getting downfield to block on a screen pass.
http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4197&section=PR%20News
I loved reading this part. I hope Bruce has a monster year. :jumpy:

jbeezy
05-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Here is another link on how the offense is doing :D http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4199

Poncho_707
05-04-2008, 05:54 AM
go 49ers! woohoo

DerekRE_3
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm loving Isaac Bruce already. He could be huge for us, and be a mentor at the same time. He could be like Trent Dilfer with skill...amazing.

Side note: I actually watched Arena Fooball last night to get my football fix. It's actually pretty exciting.

9erlakesdodgers
05-04-2008, 03:22 PM
ya reading about bruce making huge plays and making it look easy is great and will elevate the other wrs game and also build more confidence in the qbs, huge. Also last year Nolan got pissed at Vernon cuz he was clowning around too much with the fans at camp, as long as he gets his game together then his shenanigans are irrelevant. He is good for our team though, we need that energy and swagger about us.

jbeezy
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I think Vernon can gives some swagger to our offense that IMO is greatly needed. Just as long as he keeps it tempered.

Dalionking
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
49ERS COACHES PRAISE O’SULLIVAN
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 5, 2008, 11:27 a.m.
San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan and offensive coordinator Mike Martz are heaping praise on quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan– and it’s hard not to read their praise as criticism of Alex Smith.

“He has an excellent arm, no question about it,” Martz said of O’Sullivan. “He’s very accurate, very quick with the ball. He just needs to play. He needs to develop.”

O’Sullivan was widely expected to be the third-string quarterback behind both the winner and the loser of the battle between Smith and Shaun Hill. But the 49ers say that’s not the case; O’Sullivan has a real shot at beating both of them.

“It’s a three-man race, not just two,” Nolan said.

In 2007, the 49ers’ passing game looked horrible all season, with both Smith and Trent Dilfer running the show. But then in December, Hill started two games and got significant playing time in a third, and all of a sudden the 49ers’ offense looked competent.

That Hill, who had never thrown an NFL pass until last season, would play so much better than Smith was one very bad sign for Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall pick. The coaches’ praise for O’Sullivan is another.

Dalionking
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
hahaha you better hope martz doesnt go with him. he sucks. he got in the game a couple times with detroit and was pretty crappy. he got credit for a good game once when he had a horrible game till a busted coverage and no one within 20 yards of mcdonald and he scored on a 60 yard play. martz has a stiffy for this guy and it was a mistake to bring him in

Crombiestudd6
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
wow people hating1 A LIons fan lol has room to talk

Dalionking
05-05-2008, 10:56 PM
yes we do have room to talk when the lions had a better record but thats not what i was talking about. i was explaining about JT O'hesucksobad. martz loves this guy for some reason. i guess he looks good on the practice field but never shows up on the field. just hope that shaun hill or alex smith shows something because you could have a bad season with JT at the helm and i think as long as injuries dont sneak up the 49'ers could challenge for a playoff spot

kingbrentg
05-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Arnaz Battle was among the top three receivers in San Francisco's first minicamp.
Isaac Bruce, Bryant Johnson, and Battle appear to be the top three receivers, with Battle likely in the slot. Ashley Lelie has worked in the four-receiver sets. Jason Hill could also figure into the mix, but whoever wins the slot job could emerge as the next Mike Furrey/Shaun McDonald-type sleeper.

rotoworld.com

jbeezy
05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Training day

The 49ers announced their training camp would begin July 24. As in recent years, 10 training camp practices will be open to the public, although the team has yet to release those dates.

The start of training camp is tied to the team's first exhibition game, which, it was announced this week, will be at 7 p.m. Aug. 8 in Oakland.

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/927709.html

brentn2n
05-14-2008, 06:49 AM
yes we do have room to talk when the lions had a better record but thats not what i was talking about. i was explaining about JT O'hesucksobad. martz loves this guy for some reason. i guess he looks good on the practice field but never shows up on the field. just hope that shaun hill or alex smith shows something because you could have a bad season with JT at the helm and i think as long as injuries dont sneak up the 49'ers could challenge for a playoff spot

hahahahaha no room to talk for a team that hasn't beat us since 1995 n a better record without making the playoffs last year doesnt matter in any way--5 rings does--- n the coachs r just tryin to push hill and smith and give jt con fo, thanks for martz too good luck trying to run more, hahaha

jbeezy
06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Arnaz Battle, the 49ers' leading receiver last season, has decided to skip the team's voluntary workouts that started Monday and is instead training at home in Dallas.

Nolan said there is no update on the status of Takeo Spikes. The 49ers are among the teams interested in the free-agent linebacker, but Nolan said he has "no idea" regarding a timetable for Spikes' decision.

• Nolan reiterated that the team has no interest in trading for Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor.

• The initials in J.T. O'Sullivan stand for John Thomas. It was incorrectly listed as James Thomas in Monday's

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/ci_9462699

jbeezy
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Isaac Bruce-WR- 49ers Jun. 2 - 4:36 pm et

Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson continued to operate as the 49ers' starting wideouts as the team broke for June OTAs Monday.

With Arnaz Battle absent, Jason Hill and Ashley Lelie ran with the second team. Bruce will be the Niners' "No. 1 receiver" in name, but turns 36 during the season and may no longer have the legs for a full complement of snaps.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
rotoworld

Jason Hill-WR- 49ers Jun. 2 - 4:48 pm et

Jason Hill ran with the 49ers' first-team offense in three-receiver sets at Monday's OTA practice.

He was replacing Arnaz Battle. Hill, who Mike Martz allegedly "raved" about during early May camps, looks to be the 49ers' fourth receiver at the moment. Ashley Lelie is fifth, with rookie Josh Morgan and Jerard Rabb behind them.
Source: Sacramento Bee
Related: Ashley Lelie, Jerard Rabb, Josh Morgan
rotoworld

NinerNation
06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I wonder why lelie is still not showing he has the skill to be a great receiver. Last year I thought Nolan was just hating on lelie, but he's still not showing anything and now is looked at as the 5th receiver, even behind Jason Hill who in my opinion isn't all that great. I think hill is well liked among us guys because he is a hometown guy, but I still think lelie is WAY more talented. Whats the deal?

jbeezy
06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Jonas Jennings-T- 49ers Jun. 6 - 2:10 pm et

49ers RT Jonas Jennings has reported to Organized Team Activities.

It's the first time he's been around the club this offseason. Jennings is switching to the right side after playing left tackle the past three years. The team needs to find a good backup because he's extremely injury prone.

Arnaz Battle-WR- 49ers Jun. 4 - 3:04 pm et

Arnaz Battle promises to be at the 49ers' next round of offseason workouts.

Battle claims he's skipped recent OTAs for "personal reasons." In an email, Battle wrote that he'll be "back for next week...also have informed coaches." Battle apparently didn't like getting criticized in the press. He has plenty of time to earn a big role.

Rotoworld

jbeezy
06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Mark Roman-DB- 49ers Jun. 11 - 11:37 am et

49ers coach Mike Nolan wouldn't rule out the possibility that FS Mark Roman's starting job is up for grabs.

While Roman is sidelined with a shoulder injury, Dashon Goldson is impressing Nolan with his range and ball-hawking abilities. Goldson will still have to beat out a healthy Roman later this summer, but he's clearly making a strong case for himself.
Source: Contra Costa Times
Related: Dashon Goldson
Rotoworld

DownSouth49er
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Rotoworld

this would be nice, im not too fond of Roman

Tmac416
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
i thought this might happen last year even though goldsonwas a rookie. i really like him. i think if he doesnt win in training camp then by the end of the season he will be the starter

NinerNation
06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree that by the middle of the season, goldson will be the starter.

KenTHEsfKING
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
that would be a good move as goldson is much faster and seemingly more explosive than roman - > being able to snatch the ball out of the air would also be nice to have as our starting free safety.:clap:

Ali J
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Thank God!

I've never liked him back there....NEVER! I even felt K.Lew should've been starting in his place at least he's a good tackler.

Who know this injury might be the edge Goldson needs to take that job that belongs to him!

FrumDaBay
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Go Goldson!!!

9erlakesdodgers
06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I love vernon, I got his jersey rookie year, invested big on him last year on 3 fantasy teams, but, he needs that same fire and strength in games, not in practice where he feels more comfortable. If hes that strong, then he should have no problem catching and holding balls up the middle when getting knocked by lbs and safeties. Come on VD give us something to cheer about and get some more endzone dances prepared for us. I hope we get Barry Sims also.

9erlakesdodgers
06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
keith lewis is a stud, him roman and goldson is pretty solid depth for us, we need michael lewis on his A game as well on the other side. Lets pop some wrs boys.

CHerrenFSU24
06-12-2008, 12:16 PM

what have joba or hughes done as starters to warrant their hype? i know this is a football forum....i just dont get why joba gets so much more hype than lincecum....NEXT my ***

jbeezy
06-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Josh Morgan-WR-49ers Jun. 19 - 7:51 pm et

49ers signed sixth-round WR Josh Morgan to a four-year contract.

Morgan has drawn solid reviews in non-contact practices, but he had modest production at Virginia Tech and doesn't possess the ideal look of an outside receiver in coordinator Mike Martz's offense. If he makes the club, Morgan will likely focus on special teams and be a fifth or sixth wideout.
rotoworld

jbeezy
06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
LaJuan Ramsey-DL- 49ers Jun. 18 - 9:28 am et

49ers claimed third-year DT LaJuan Ramsey off waivers from the Eagles.

Once part of the Eagles' defensive tackle rotation, Ramsey will compete for a roster spot at defensive end in San Francisco's 3-4.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Related: Eagles
rotoworld

jbeezy
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Delanie Walker-TE- 49ers Jun. 19 - 5:14 pm et

49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz says TE Delanie Walker "has a real 'wow' factor to him."

"He's such a stickler for detail," said Martz, a detail-oriented person himself. "You talk about some jets and some ability to run and eat up the field. Holy cow." Walker, coming off a quiet 21-catch season, could be tried in the slot with Arnaz Battle and/or Vernon Davis. He's someone to keep an eye on.
rotoworld

Tmac416
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
rotoworld

Im peronsally thrilled to hear this. i loved walker from teh day we drafted him and always wished they would put him back out at reciever instead of blocking. He is a freak with great hands. it sounds like he is starting to really undertsand the nfl system. breakout year alert

PrimeTime81
06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz praised Vernon Davis' work ethic and speed this offseason.

"I don't know who beats him in a footrace," said Martz. Literally no tight ends can; Davis runs a 4.38 at 254 pounds. Martz is showing Davis film of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce rather than tight ends Martz has coached, signaling his plans to use Davis out wide. Still, we won't have a great idea of how Davis will be used until the preseason. Only so many receivers can play outside

Rotoworld

Gmen824
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I hope so, he's been a bust the last few years...

NYMetros
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
That's good to hear from them. Vernon hasn't really broken out yet, when everyone expected him to be a top TE in this league when he came out of college. Hopefully he will excel in Martz's new system he is implementing there.

nstachowski
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
^^ Hes only been in the league for 2 years...

cubbybear2290
06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I hope this guy shows up finally, he has all the potential in the world. But hey whos to say that he will shed that bust that he has been given thru his first two years in the league, i seriously hope he ends up all pro in this league at some point.

NYMetros
06-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Following the 49ers' signing of Barry Sims, second-round pick Chilo Rachal is expected to move to guard after being used at tackle during OTAs.

There was in-house disagreement about whether Rachal should've tried tackle in the first place. He'll likely back up right guard David Baas this year.

rotoworld

Tmac416
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
it really wasnt his fault last year. at all.

FNM BOY
06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Vernon is a beast...and we will see the beast in all his fullness this season with Martz running the offense.!

Tapptout
06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
If Martz is going ga ga over him, im excited.

Noreaga
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I hope so, he's been a bust the last few years...

cant really say bust...he got injured, plus he had Alex Smith throwing the ball...

DerekRE_3
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm expecting VD to have a breakout year. Especially in the new offense.

NinerNation
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
cant really say bust...he got injured, plus he had Alex Smith throwing the ball...

well guess what, alex is going to be throwing him the ball again. Whats your point?

jbeezy
06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Vernon Davis-TE- 49ers Jun. 24 - 9:30 am et

49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz praised Vernon Davis' work ethic and speed this offseason.

"I don't know who beats him in a footrace," said Martz. Literally no tight ends can; Davis runs a 4.38 at 254 pounds. Martz is showing Davis film of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce rather than tight ends Martz has coached, signaling his plans to use Davis out wide. Still, we won't have a great idea of how Davis will be used until the preseason. Only so many receivers can play outside.
rotoworld

nice I like Davis giving it his all. :clap:

jbeezy
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Here is how Maicco sees the roster

We're talking roster today. With a month before camp opens, here's how we at Instant 49ers see the roster shaping up:

Locks: 34 -- Something dramatic would have to occur for any of these players to be excluded from the 53-man roster.

Chances are good: 21 - The majority of these players will be on the final roster. Let's say 17 or 18 will make it. But these players can't afford to let down during training camp or they run the risk of not sticking around.

A lot of work to do: 28 - In some cases, these are the long shots. In other instances, these are players who face a lot of competition at their respective positions to retain roster spots. Still, perhaps one or two of these players can elevate their games and be part of the final roster.

Quarterbacks (4)

Locks: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill. Chances are good: J.T. O'Sullivan. A lot of work to do: Drew Olson.

Running backs (6)

Locks: Frank Gore, DeShaun Foster, Michael Robinson. Chances are good: Moran Norris, Zak Keasey. A lot of work to do: Thomas Clayton.

Wide receivers (10)

Locks: Bryant Johnson, Arnaz Battle, Isaac Bruce. Chances are good: Ashley Lelie, Jason Hill, Josh Morgan. A lot of work to do: Robert Jordan, Dominique Zeigler, Jerard Rabb, Cam Colvin.

Tight ends (5)

Locks: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker. Chances are good: Billy Bajema. A lot of work to do: Cooper Wallace, J.J. Finley.

Offensive line (16)

Locks: Joe Staley, Adam Snyder, Eric Heitmann, Chilo Rachal, Jonas Jennings, David Baas, Barry Sims. Chances are good: Cody Wallace, Tony Wragge. A lot of work to do: Damane Duckett, Jeb Terry, Alan Reuber, Joe Toledo, Brian de la Puente, John Booker, Ramiro Pruneda.

Defensive line (12)

Locks: Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Aubrayo Franklin. Chances are good: Ronald Fields, Ray McDonald. A lot of work to do: LaJuan Ramsey, Walter Curry, Melvin Oliver, Joe Cohen, Atiyyah Ellison, Louis Holmes.

Linebackers (12)

Locks: Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Jeff Ulbrich. Chances are good: Larry Grant, Brandon Moore, Dontarrious Thomas, Tully Banta-Cain. A lot of work to do: Jay Moore, Roderick Green, Dennis Haley, Shaun Richardson.

Defensive backs (14)

Locks: Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Reggie Smith, Michael Lewis, Mark Roman, Dashon Goldson. Chances are good: Shawntae Spencer, Donald Strickland, Tarell Brown, Marcus Hudson, Keith Lewis. A lot of work to do: Markus Curry, D.J. Parker, Lewis Baker.

Specialists (5)

Locks: Andy Lee, Joe Nedney, Brian Jennings. Chances are good: Allen Rossum. A lot of work to do: Ricky Schmitt.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2216872&mode=

curtisjr08
06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Did anyone get to watch the week 3 highlights of OTA's on the 49ers website. There were a lot of interceptions, and I think it was a mix of the 3 quarterbacks. I am hoping our defense is just that good, but that to me just makes me a afraid.

jakecosenza
06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
so we just swapped annoying false-start prone lineman.

lincecum=future
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Except for we get Sims for cheaper.

Tmac416
06-27-2008, 04:46 PM
oliver shuld make and so should choen.And Jay Moore will deffintly be on the team. if anythign grant will get realesed

Poncho_707
06-27-2008, 06:27 PM
.../thread

Poncho_707
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
n sims is better

Tmac416
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
n why does this need its own thread exactly?

Tapptout
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
What a game changing trade!

bayareafan650
06-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Sims wont start will he?

jbeezy
06-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Dude we did not need a thread for something everyone allready knows. :pity:

jbeezy
07-02-2008, 12:14 AM
The 49ers and Sims' agent, Ken Vierra, declined to release the details of the contract. As it turns out, Sims signed a two-year, $4.2 million contract that includes a $600,000 signing bonus and a total of $1.4 million in likely-to-be-earned incentives.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2218754&mode=

Poncho_707
07-02-2008, 03:01 AM
okay so the 49ers just cut a guard cuz of barry sims

and some UFA LB

in an article about it, it ended as ''with the release of (some reason i think his name was like quention richardson) does this mean the 49ers are going to sign a linebacker? stay tuned''

does this mean takeo? :jumpy:

jbeezy
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Here is rotoworlds assessment of the 49ers

San Francisco 49ers: Since Mike Martz aggressively praises all his players, it's hard to get a read on San Francisco's jumbled roster. Alex Smith remains the heavy favorite to start at quarterback, but he hasn't pulled away from Shaun Hill just yet. Bryant Johnson and Isaac Bruce appear locked in to the starting wideout jobs, with Arnaz Battle likely to be number three. Jason Hill and Ashley Lelie are probably fighting for scraps. … Perhaps the most promising thing to come out of summer reports is Martz's eagerness to split Vernon Davis out wide and use him often as a receiver. Martz hasn't used tight ends as receivers much in the past, but he could be adjusting his playbook. … It's also clear that the offense will run through Frank Gore, like Martz once did for Marshall Faulk. Expect at least 70 catches. I see the world through Gore-colored glasses, but I think fewer carries will keep him healthy. Rotoworld

Poncho_707
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
gore will be a beast in fantasy football with the catches..

Thatruth32
07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
cant wait for football season...

GiantsNinersW's
07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
found this today on pro football weekly...

Spirited competition expected in secondary

We hear the winds of change may be blowing briskly in the Niners’ defensive backfield, with both RCB Walt Harris and FS Mark Roman facing increasingly serious challenges for the starting jobs they held down last season with mixed success. After a career campaign two years ago, Harris, who will turn 34 in August, really started to show his age last season and is expected to be looking over his shoulder frequently in training camp at a host of challengers, led by third-round draft pick Reggie Smith. “They (the Niners) wouldn’t mind a more physical presence at the CB spot opposite Nate Clements who can stone a guy at the line of scrimmage, with Clements continuing to play mostly man coverage,” a team insider told PFW. “Smith is an ex-safety, and if he can display enough quickness, he could become the starter, although my money is still on Harris staying conscientious enough to hang on to the job.” The insider was less certain about Roman’s ability to remain a starter, however, with second-year pro Dashon Goldson emerging as arguably the most impressive defender in the team’s minicamps and OTAs. “He made big hit after big hit, with a lot of interceptions,” the insider said of Goldson. “And he’s got the kind of instincts that could make him a star player.”

DownSouth49er
07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
ULBRICH IN THE LEAD

Veteran linebacker Jeff Ulbrich is the frontrunner to win the starting inside linebacker position next to Patrick Willis. Brandon Moore likely will be his stiffest competition. Dontarrious Thomas is expected to become Willis’ backup.

McCloughan said veteran free agent Takeo Spikes, whom visited with the 49ers earlier this offseason, could likely re-enter the picture if an injury warrants it. “We feel good about what we have on the team,” McCloughan said.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080721/SPORTS/355524279/1016/SPORTS0401&title=49ERS__Former_Sonoma_State_star_Allen_expres ses_interest_to_return

jbeezy
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
49ers GM Scot McCloughan revealed that the team has given thought to extending Patrick Willis' contract.

There's no urgency with Willis only a year into his rookie deal, but it goes to show how important he is to the Niners. Coach Mike Nolan thinks opponents will focus more on Willis this season: "They're going to know where he's at."
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat rotoworld

Wow this is great. I love Patrick Willis :love:

Poncho_707
07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
sign him to a 20 year deal :hi5:

jbeezy
07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah :hi5:

9erlakesdodgers
07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
yea i dont think signing him to a huge extension will effect his play negatively, this guy wants to be the best lb to ever play! Also poncho I like your sig the way it is, movin and ****, dont change it. Also how do i get a sig?

DownSouth49er
07-23-2008, 02:13 AM
yea i dont think signing him to a huge extension will effect his play negatively, this guy wants to be the best lb to ever play! Also poncho I like your sig the way it is, movin and ****, dont change it. Also how do i get a sig?

well you need 9 more post to have a sig, you must have 100 post to have a sig......after that, maybe poncho can make you one, if he's in a nice mood, lol...but there are others that makes them also.....i did my own but im no expert, lol, not even close......there are threads about sigs, i'll post the links to them once i find them

Poncho_707
07-23-2008, 05:34 AM
i like the wiggle...but it was on accident :laugh2:

well you need 9 more post to have a sig, you must have 100 post to have a sig......after that, maybe poncho can make you one, if he's in a nice mood, lol...but there are others that makes them also.....i did my own but im no expert, lol, not even close......there are threads about sigs, i'll post the links to them once i find them

eh i might make the sig, the moon has to be at the right angle. my dog has to be laying down. my water bottle has to be opened and i have to have a teriyaki chicken bowl next to me or else im not in the mood :cool:

THE PEOPLE
07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Alex Smith took the first snap at 49ers training camp, as expected.

Smith ran the ones in the morning and Shaun Hill will open the afternoon with the first team. J.T. O'Sullivan is getting zero work. Smith was picked off by Manny Lawson while competing five of his eight attempts on Friday.

Rotoworld

DownSouth49er
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
July 25, 2008

All the news from training camp Day 1 (A.M. practice)

Here are some of the juicy (depending on the level of your fanaticism) items from today's morning practice.

* Alex Smith practiced with the first-team unit during the morning drills. He will drop to No. 2 for the afternoon and Shaun Hill will work with the Ones. That will be the pattern until a starter is decided. J.T. O'Sullivan got zero work in team situations, and let's be frank - this is a two-way competition, not a three-way like it's been previously advertised.

* Mike Nolan said he and his offensive coaches have been re-thinking the work the QBs might get in preseason games. Instead of one player starting a game and playing extensively in that game, the coaches are considering giving each a few series at a time.

* The 49ers didn't work in pads. In fact, they won't have a full contact practice until Monday. Jeff Ulbrich said he liked that system. He said it takes several days for players to get in football shape and that practicing in pads before that state is achieved is just asking for injuries

* Justin Smith mostly played rush linebacker today. When the first-team defense lined up, the d-line consisted of LDE Isaac Sopoaga, NT Ronald Fields and RDE Ray McDonald. Smith and Manny Lawson were on the outside, while Ulbrich and Bam-Bam manned the middle. The dbs were Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Michael Lewis and Mark Roman. Some backups of note: Ulbrich and Brandon Moore seemed to alternate work at "Ted" linebacker although Ulbrich always was the first guy in. As far as the second string, Dontarrious Thomas played "Mike" while Larry Grant played "Ted."

* On offense, Damane Duckett was at LT in place of injured Joe Staley (foot). Jonas Jennings started at RT and looked very good in one on one drills. (Some guys did not; more on that later). The rest of the o-line: RG Tony Wragge, C Eric Heitmann, LG Adam Snyder. At fullback Zak Keasey got a lot more playing time than Moran Norris, although the 49ers continued to lean heavily toward two tight ends (Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker). Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson were the starting WRs. Mike Nolan said that Bruce would typically see a lot of work in the A.M. practices so that the QBs could get used to his body language. Later in the morning practice and again in the afternoon, Bruce might be held back.

* The 49ers also lined up at times in a 4-3. When they did, the d-line looked like this: RDE Smith, RDT Fields, LDT Sopoaga, LDE Ray McDonald. The second-team d-line looked like this: RDE Walter Curry, NT Joe Cohen (he's back from his knee injury) and LDE Kentwan Balmer.

* None of the three quarterbacks looked very good during a deep-pass drill. In fact, Hill's passes routinely sailed 15 yards from the intended receiver. Deep is not Hill's strength. The best of the three was Smith who has admitted that the deep pass has been the last thing to return after his shoulder surgery.

* Lawson was back in action, too. Nolan said he couldn't say whether Lawson was at 100 percent. He certainly looked like he was on a pass play over the middle in which Lawson must have leaped three and a half feet in the air and came down with a Smith pass.

* After a month off, neither Smith nor Hill looked all that sharp. In fact, one of the more comical plays happened when Hill tried to hit TE JJ Finley on a hot read. Finley, however, wasn't looking and the ball doinked off his helmet into the arms of - who else? - Dashon Goldson.

* I thought the most interesting drill was the one in which a d-lineman goes head-to-head against an o-lineman. During that drill, LaJuan Ramsey absolutely plowed over center Cody Wallace on one play and then rag-dolled him to the ground on the next. Not an auspicious start for the rookie. The offense struck back in the next pairing when guard Jeb Terry shoved Curry to the ground. Curry battled Terry to a draw on the next play. Later on Curry, one of the pleasant surprises of OTAs, had his way with guard Brian De La Puente from Cal. The best-looking o-lineman? That may have been Jennings, who gave McDonald no room to rush when the two were matched up.

* When Nolan spoke after practice, he said that retired DT Bryant Young had no specific role at this time but that he would be around the building in the mornings. Seems like Young might be hired as an official mentor, and, really, who better to have that role?

* Nolan said that of the 65 players on the team throughout the offseason, nearly 50 percent showed up for every workout.

-- Matt Barrows

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/014097.html

Thatruth32
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
sign him to a 20 year deal :hi5:

yup just make poncho the gm... get it done....

Thatruth32
07-25-2008, 06:12 PM

o ok thats who does them i wanted one but didnt want to really bother anybody well it wont let me send him a pm says he is baned...

but poncho if you are reading this is you had time to make a banner that would be sick.. i would be happy with anythihng that has to do with warriors giants and niners... if you need players i would say from the niners willis and or gore... warriors... randolph and or monta and giants timmmmmmmmmmmmmy... if you not up to it all g... just let me know not sure if you are able to PM me back...

THE PEOPLE
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
49ers OLB Tully Banta-Cain is currently running as a second-stringer.

Banta-Cain could be third string by the end of training camp if Parys Haralson passes him. As a starter in 2007, Banta-Cain was a major disappointment. He was much more effective as a third-down blitzing role player in New England.

Rotoworld

THE PEOPLE
07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Ashley Lelie is currently day-to-day with a left calf strain at 49ers camp.

Lelie is competing just to make the 53-man roster, so any time lost will hurt his bid. He's also shown in the past that he doesn't recovery quickly.

Rotoworld

THE PEOPLE
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Rotoworld:

49ers coach Mike Nolan revealed that Michael Robinson may need his right knee scoped after having an MRI on it Monday.
This could jeopardize Robinson's availability for Week 1. Robinson is a third string tailback, but a key part of San Francisco's special teams units.

Ashley Lelie underwent an MRI on his strained left calf Monday.
49ers coach Mike Nolan says Lelie could miss up to a week. It's early yet, but we're not loving Lelie's odds of making the 49ers out of training camp.

Thatruth32
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
i had never been so i didnt know what it was going to be like .... but it was nice most went to see the practice i saw people getting in line at 830 for autographs so i was like i really wanted to get some so i didnt watch the pracitice and just stayed in line with alot of the other fellas we watched what we could and just talked bout the upcoming season... here is who i got

#4 andy lee
#6 joe nedney
#11 alex smith
#13 shaun hill
#18 ashley lellie
#20 allen rossum
#40 markus curry
#52 PATRICK WILLIS juiced about this one
#57 larry grant
#62 louis holmes
#63 chilo rachal
# 64 david baas
#69 Tony wragge
#82 bryant johnson
#95 tully banta-cain
#99 manny lawson.

i got just about most of the people who stoped i missed a few but most didnt stop... vernon stoped but only signed about 3 or 4 peoples and gore stoped he did about 15 20 but i didnt get him even tho i was close just not my luck i guess.. i was shocked gore was kinda tha one who didnt seem to happy to sign at all most would talk and chop it up he had like 3 cops with him for the most part... sucked cuz i didnt get to see much of the practice but i wanted to walk away with something .. all in all fun day lots of niner fans came from LA i was shocked.....[/QUOTE]

I WENT SAT.... i heard they closed practice on sunday so it was really easy for people to get autographs man i wish they did that sat... lol i had to wait in line for 3 hours.. they just had lines and u went to tha players that u wanted

THE PEOPLE
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Offensive coordinator Mike Martz says the 49ers will try to use Vernon Davis "down the field...like a wide receiver -- move him out, move him around."

"(We'll) try to take advantage of his speed more," Martz continued. "He's really adapted well to it." However, Martz seemed to hint that Davis may not get as many catches in his offense: "52 (catches; how many Davis had in 2007) is pretty good production. That's really good for the tight end position."

Rotoworld

jbeezy
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Offensive coordinator Mike Martz says the 49ers will try to use Vernon Davis "down the field...like a wide receiver -- move him out, move him around."

"(We'll) try to take advantage of his speed more," Martz continued. However, Martz hinted that Davis may not get as many catches in his offense: "52 (catches; how many Davis had in 2007) is pretty good production. That's really good for the tight end position." Martz continues to say blocking is Davis' first job.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat rotoworld

jbeezy
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Ashley Lelie-WR- 49ers Jul. 28 - 3:10 pm et

Ashley Lelie underwent an MRI on his strained left calf Monday.

49ers coach Mike Nolan says Lelie could miss up to a week. It's early yet, but we're not loving Lelie's odds of making the 49ers out of training camp.

Michael Robinson-RB- 49ers Jul. 28 - 2:57 pm et

49ers coach Mike Nolan revealed that Michael Robinson may need his right knee scoped after having an MRI on it Monday.

This could jeopardize Robinson's availability for Week 1. Robinson is a third string tailback, but a key part of San Francisco's special teams units.

rotoworld

Crombiestudd6
07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
wow sorry for lelie! and why wouldnt davis be used? thats y we got himt? wtf!!!!!!!! bad call

jbeezy
07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
49ers RB Michael Robinson had his meniscus repaired Monday and is expected to be out three to five weeks.

Robinson, who had loose ends of his meniscus trimmed, should be fine by Week 1.
Source: Sacramento Bee rotoworls

lincecum=future
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh well we still got Foster.

curtisjr08
07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Just a thought...The Niners Orginization should live stream training camp online...

Could this be a thing in the future?

There is nothing like watching your favorite team for hours and hours with no sound doing drills and running, that is what its all about!!

DownSouth49er
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
August 4, 2008

49ers, Raiders rumble in wine country

The 49ers and Raiders practiced togther for the first time in recent memory (ever?) and as you might expect, there were some heated tempers between the Bay Area cousins. No doubt you'll see plenty of footage on the evening news, but to be honest, the rough stuff was a minor distraction in an otherwise smooth practice. The biggest fracas occurred during 7 on 7 drills and involved several players, including Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, who at one point had his hands around Raiders safety Jarrod Cooper's throat. At the end other end of the practice field, 49ers rookie guard Chilo Rachal and defensive tackle William Joseph took a few swings at each other's heads.

As for the quarterback battle, all three 49ers' passers saw significant action. If you had to pick one guy as the "starter" today, it would be Shaun Hill, who saw the most work with the first-team offense, although J.T. O'Sullivan worked with the ones as well. Alex Smith mostly worked with the second team.

The 49ers are becoming thin on receivers. Isaac Bruce didn't take part in the practice while the other would-be starter, Bryant Johnson, went down with a hamstring injury on the first play of 7 on 7 drills. Johnson was on the ground for several minutes while trainers tended to the hamstring. He watched the rest of practice while standing on the sideline. Mike Nolan called it a "tweak" and said he didn't think it was serious. With Bruce and Johnson out, undrafted rookie Cam Colvin saw plenty of action and looked good in the offense. "It's getting easier," Colvin said of learning the offense. "Just in terms of going out there and having those double (practices) every day. ... It's starting to slow down."

Lelie, meanwhile, emerged from the 49ers' locker room - actually the boys locker room at an adjacent middle school -- with an ice pack on his left calf. Lelie injured the calf on the third day of camp and only returned to action yesterday. "I think it just got fatigued," he said. "It was a little tender before." There's no word yet on whether he will take part in the 7 p.m. practice, which won't be in full pads.

During the first "team" session, led by Hill, the 49ers ran the ball exclusively and did most of their running on the inside. Frank Gore did not take part in team drills, giving way to DeShaun Foster. Gore did participate in the rest of practice. There was no live tackling on the day, but it seemed like the Raiders had everything bottled up. My notes are peppered with "Thomas Clayton, no room to run." During the second team session of the morning, O'Sullivan came out with the first-string offense. His first pass three passes to Josh Morgan, Billy Bajema and Colvin were dropped before he connected on a quick slant to Colvin. Alex Smith, who mostly lined up with the second team, saw his first pass go off Ashley Lelie's fingertips.

The third team session was the best for the 49ers. Hill connected twice on intermediate sideline routes, first to Morgan and then again to Colvin. Hill Was 4 of 5 in the third session; Smith also was 4 of 5.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/014318.html

i'm so glad gore choked him:box:

kingbrentg
08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
49ers signed OL Chris Patrick.
He wasn't good enough to make the Lions.

rotoworld.com

lincecum=future
08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
rotoworld.com

:laugh2:

You got to love those rotoworld one liners.

jbeezy
08-22-2008, 03:35 PM
[ Larry Allen-G- 49ers Aug. 22 - 9:02 am et

Despite two recent injuries to their starting guards, the 49ers have not "renewed their interest" in free agent G Larry Allen.

It sounds like Allen is ready to play if he can start, but the 49ers will only call the future Hall of Famer if they suffer a long-term injury.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
rotoworld

974life
08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I wonder why they wont call Allen?

KenTHEsfKING
08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I wonder why they wont call Allen?

maybe u didn't see him embrrass the fukk out of himself last year

974life
08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
maybe u didn't see him embrrass the fukk out of himself last year

Was he really that bad

bornFrisco49er
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Was he really that bad

he was..blitzes were coming through the a gaps a lot, many on his side allowing many sacks...he's slowed down and not what he used to be..still a good run blocker, but in passing situations ill take our younger lineman with the quicker footwork

KenTHEsfKING
08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
he was..blitzes were coming through the a gaps a lot, many on his side allowing many sacks...he's slowed down and not what he used to be..still a good run blocker, but in passing situations ill take our younger lineman with the quicker footwork

he alos looked lost at times on runs to the outside - even the ones to his side of the line

very sad to see that last year :pity:- but very happy to see chilo play well yesterday :clap:

974life
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Larry allen is Chilo's favorite player I thought that was funny.

John408
08-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Whoever is complaing bout V.D. being intensed is soft. I've played high school and college football. Having a guy like V.D. just brings the intensity up a notch.

I appreciate his beast instincts. T.O., I would not mind having on our team still.

Emotion = heart = wanting to win

bornFrisco49er
08-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Whoever is complaing bout V.D. being intensed is soft. I've played high school and college football. Having a guy like V.D. just brings the intensity up a notch.

I appreciate his beast instincts. T.O., I would not mind having on our team still.

Emotion = heart = wanting to win

whos complaining? i love it..it only fires up his teammates

krazylegz
09-03-2008, 02:06 AM
ummm,the update on larry allen is he did the ol' sign and retire with the cowboys a couple days ago.....

bornFrisco49er
09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
^^we know but thanks..it was his time to retire