PDA

View Full Version : Offseason News And Rumours

JermanJaysFan
04-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Here is a place to post any news or rumors relating to the Raptors this offseason. Trade rumours, free agent rumours etc.

ink
04-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Man, 3 minutes after the last broadcast of the season! LOL. You are on top of things JJF! Great work as the TM in the post season. :clap:

JermanJaysFan
04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
^Thanks. I want to put the past behind me and look forward to what will hopefully be an exciting offseason.

Kc17
04-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Think Smitch is gunna get fired?

dirtybird
04-28-2008, 10:16 PM
The thing that worries me is that everyone assumes that the Raptors will be able to use all these expiring contracts and get back what they need based on what the Lakers did. But, there weren't many team this season that had alot of expiring salary like the Lakers had (in fact they might have been the only ones) and next season teams like the Cavs will have a boatload of expiring salary too. I will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I do have some concerns.

Kc17
04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
How much Cap space do we have when all the expiring contracts come off the books?

Honest Truth
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
The thing that worries me is that everyone assumes that the Raptors will be able to use all these expiring contracts and get back what they need based on what the Lakers did. But, there weren't many team this season that had alot of expiring salary like the Lakers had (in fact they might have been the only ones) and next season teams like the Cavs will have a boatload of expiring salary too. I will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I do have some concerns.

Well-founded concerns. I agree with you, the majority of people seem to think that it is apretty easy to acquire the all-star caliber SF and the good gritty rebounder. This is easier said than done. Expiring contracts and TJ Ford may not go for as much as you think. I hope I am wrong and Colangelo can be creative and find a way.

More shats!
04-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Lets not Screw our Draft pick this year,If we can get steel we may have a big piece in a big trade.

dirtybird
04-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I know that alot of people are saying that Smitch will be back because he still has $9M left on his contract, but what if another team (say the Knicks) ask the Raptors for permission to speak to Mitchell. That might take that obstacle out of the way, although it really shouldn't come down to that. If BC doesn't think that Sam can even set this team up to take the next step, that should be enough to give him the axe. It's a sunk cost: that money is gone regardless of what happens and say the new coach takes the team to the next round and get homecourt advantage in the 1st series. That already makes up the money needed to switch coaches.

Kc17
04-28-2008, 11:31 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1705~183~3246~1979~2433~2010~3 226&teams=28~28~28~27~27~27~27&te=&cash=27:28

Imagine that trade..wow.

Calderon/Daniels
Parker/Delfino
Butler/Moon/McGuire
Bosh/FA
Bargnani/Brezec

lovingTO
04-28-2008, 11:40 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1705~183~3246~1979~2433~2010~3 226&teams=28~28~28~27~27~27~27&te=&cash=27:28

Imagine that trade..wow.

Calderon/Daniels
Parker/Delfino
Butler/Moon/McGuire
Bosh/FA
Bargnani/Brezec

no chance...be realistic

ink
04-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Well-founded concerns. I agree with you, the majority of people seem to think that it is apretty easy to acquire the all-star caliber SF and the good gritty rebounder. This is easier said than done. Expiring contracts and TJ Ford may not go for as much as you think. I hope I am wrong and Colangelo can be creative and find a way.

I agree.

Dragan
04-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Mitcehll aint goign, for us to fire him will cost us 11 mill to pay him the remainder of his contract and to bring in a good coach. 9.5 mill to Mitchell and 3.5 mill for another coach. I think thats too much for mlse to swalow.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/419046

You can toss aside that kind of talk as outlandish and cruel, and if you cite a single number – $9.5 million, the approximate price tag of firing Mitchell – you buttress your case soundly. That financial reality could mean the Raptors, if they were to can the man and hire an established replacement, would be committing something like $13 million to coach a .500 team, a number that might just test the limits of Bryan Colangelo's autonomy as team president.

as for the offseason im very excited just because there will me some changes and will be fun to see how it works out.

Afrizzle
04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I think the raptors should try to make an offer to Iguodala ...he might be pricey but remember he had the chance to extend his contract with Philly numerous times and still did not sign so the Sixers obviously have not appealed to him...I think in the long run we could pry him away with a sign and trade of Ford and 2 other players plus a draft pick.... also for rebounding i think we should make an effort to sign Dsagana Diop....imagine if he were defending Howard instead of Bosh..... anyways those are my ideas.....some good scoring gaurds are available like jamison AI and Arenas but i think Jamison wouldnt come cause hed ask Vince and vince would bash us and AI and Gilbert dont consistantly play D although they are great scorers...if one of them were to come i would say get a guy like Keyon Dooling to bulk up the perimiter D because he sticks to guys like white on rice ...but foremost I want Iguodala and seriously believe if the Raps are serious they need to make a run for him because him and bosh equal future looking beautiful and throw in Diop and we have a balance of Offence and Defense

mike_noodles
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I think that the expiring contracts can be very useful in facilitating a trade, but if you really want to get the two players that we need (C, SF) then we will also have to include something of value like Ford + Bargnani. Two guys I would like to see are Maggette and Kaman, but I doubt the Clips would give up Kaman for anything we can offer. I think that the four players that we could realistically go after are; Artest, Jefferson, Maggette and Nocioni with Nocioni being the one that would be the easiest to acquire.

Mile High Champ
04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
We need some size, I want Biedrins or Brad Miller a raptor by the end of the offseason. Its probably unrrealistic to get anything done because of expiring contracts not being attractive to teams to take on untill next years trade deadline. But hey one can wish!

dirtybird
05-01-2008, 01:18 AM
To get everyone a springboard upon to come up with offseason ideas, I'll includea condensed version of Chad Ford's offseason free agent market:

Group I: potential ETO's
1. Elton Brand (LAC) - my guess is that he plays out his contract to prove that he's recovered from his achilles injury.
2. Gilbert Arenas (WAS) - I believe he has said that he will opt out, but hasn't proven that he's recovered from his injury.
3. Shawn Marion (MIA) - I don't think that he's going to opt out. Nobody is going to give him more than what he's going to make next season. Big drop in numbers going from Phoenix to Miami.
4. Baron Davis (GS) - The friction between he and Donnie Nelson might get him to opt out.
5. Jermaine O'Neal (IND) - Similar situation as Brand. Don't think that he opts out.
6. Allen Iverson (DEN)
7. Corey Maggette (LAC) - It's rumoured that Maggette wants out of LA and will probably opt out making only $7M next season. Seems like a prime candidate for a sign & trade.
8. Ron Artest (SAC) - probably opts out

Group II: RFA's
1. Emeka Okafor (CHA)
2. Josh Smith (ATL) - Not going anywhere (although it's always nice to dream)
3. Andre Igoudala (PHI) - cf Josh Smith
4. Jose Calderon (TOR)
5. Luol Deng (CHI) - Colangelo was very interested in him during the 2006 draft (have a feeling that he's one of the guys this team targets).
6. Andris Biedrins (GS) - Warriors are going to match anything for pretty much their only big man.
7. Monta Ellis (GS)
8. Josh Childress (ATL) - Probably expendable given how deep the Hawks are on the wing. I would definitely target him (defense, crashes the offensive glass, and some offense). Very under-rated imo.
9. Ben Gordon (CHI)
10. Nenad Krstic (NJ) - hasn't fully recovered yet from blowing out his knee.

Others: Ronny Turiaf(LAL), Sasha Vujacic(LAL), Daniel Gibson(CLE), Carl Landry(HOU), Juan Carlos Navarro(MEM), Kelenna Azubuike(GS), J.R. Smith(DEN), Tony Allen(BOS).

Group III: UFA's
1. Antawn Jamison (WAS)
2. Kurt Thomas (SA)
3. Mikael Pietrus (GS)
4. DeSagana Diop (NJ)
5. Ricky Davis (MIA)
6. Kwame Brown (MEM)
7. Sam Cassell (BOS)
8. Beno Udrih (SAC)
9. Chris Duhon (CHI)
10. Gerald Green (HOU)

Others: Brent Barry (SA), Bostjan Nachbar (NJ), Eduardo Najera (DEN), Matt Barnes (GS), Patrick O'Bryant (GS), Jason Williams (MIA), Gordan Giricek (PHO), Francisco Elson (SA), Maurice Evans (ORL).

pauljames
05-01-2008, 02:34 AM
i think pat o'bryant is worth a look. Long, athletic big man, and we could get him for cheap.

RaptorFan89
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
What do you think about sending TJ to the Mavs for Josh Howard(19pts ,7 rebounds)?Just what the Doc ordered! This would help Bosh on offence and help solve some of th rebounding issues aswell.

JermanJaysFan
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
What do you think about sending TJ to the Mavs for Josh Howard(19pts ,7 rebounds)?Just what the Doc ordered! This would help Bosh on offence and help solve some of th rebounding issues aswell.

On our side of it, I say done deal. But I don't see any circumstance where the Mavs would be wanting to deal Howard, especially to acquire a PG when they have a HOFer at the position right now.

dirtybird
05-01-2008, 03:38 PM

That's a pipedream. Sorry, the Mavs aren't that dumb.

RaptorFan89
05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
The say he had some off court issues, kidd isnt a kid anymore he may have a couple of years left!

JermanJaysFan
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
The say he had some off court issues, kidd isnt a kid anymore he may have a couple of years left!

Yeah, even if the Mavs decide to blow their team up and dump Kidd, thus needing a PG, they would probably keep Howard. I don't see it happening sorry.

C_Mund
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd really like to see us pick up Nocioni. He does what we need at the 3, and he wouldn't be too heafty of a price tag. I'd rather obviously have Maggette or Deng, but they'd cost way more and not really leave enough room for a good rebounder down low.

dirtybird
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
If the Raptors came back with Nocioni, I might not watch a single game next year. It would be like going to buy a Bentley and coming back with a Pinto. Not only do you blow a big part of your expiring contracts, you don't get much better.

raptors wiseguy
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
deng would be an amazing pick up for the raptors..but i dont think that we have that kind of cap room...remember he turned down 10 mill a year last season

dirtybird
05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
deng would be an amazing pick up for the raptors..but i dont think that we have that kind of cap room...remember he turned down 10 mill a year last season

And he regrets that now. So has Okafor, Gordon, and a whole bunch of other players.

T.O-Fan
05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Brain said there wil be changes and new faces..so im all happy for our offseason

raptors wiseguy
05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
And he regrets that now. So has Okafor, Gordon, and a whole bunch of other players.

igoudala sure doesnt regret that :P

canzano55
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
If the Raptors came back with Nocioni, I might not watch a single game next year. It would be like going to buy a Bentley and coming back with a Pinto. Not only do you blow a big part of your expiring contracts, you don't get much better.C'mon I think you're exaggerating a little.

LittleBosh
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
If the Raptors came back with Nocioni, I might not watch a single game next year. It would be like going to buy a Bentley and coming back with a Pinto. Not only do you blow a big part of your expiring contracts, you don't get much better.

If Noce is still our major acquisition after the trade deadline, you can safely call it a failure on Colangelo's part.

canzano55
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
If Noce is still our major acquisition after the trade deadline, you can safely call it a failure on Colangelo's part.

He's a serviceable SF that will permeate the qualities this team already has while adding a degree of toughness and grit.

I proposed this to Bulls fans in their forum earlier:

Calderon S&T plus 1st pick for Nocioni and their first pick. We draft Kevin Love.

TJ/Ukic
Parker/Delfino or MLE
Nocioni/Moon/Garbs
Bosh/Bargs
Rasho/Kevin Love

The Wise 1
05-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Nocioni is a great fit?

I also think people are expecting a little too much from us this offseason. I really dont see us getting any big names.

LittleBosh
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Nocioni is a great fit?

I also think people are expecting a little too much from us this offseason. I really dont see us getting any big names.

He is good. I just don't see how he puts us over the hump. What I can definitely see though is him transforming into a settled jumpshooter in Mitchell's system.
Regarding getting impact players this offseason, I've said it once but will repeat myself: this team will be hard pressed to finish with an even record next season without big time moves.

Afrizzle
05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
If the Raps draft 1 of either JaVale McGee, Roy Hibbert, or Nicolas Batum (on draftexpress he is projected to drop) I would be so content that the raptors got a piece out of that draft that will actually benefit us in the future unlike waisted draft picks in the past

danny1
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you think its possible to sign D'Antoni and keep Mitchell as an assistant, even though he may be over paid for the posistion?

JermanJaysFan
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Do you think its possible to sign D'Antoni and keep Mitchell as an assistant, even though he may be over paid for the posistion?

Heck no. Smitch would never take a demotion.

More shats!
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM

No way in hell Sam will accept to be the assistant to D'Antoni.He was a coach of the year so if he gets fired he will get plenty of job oportunitis.You shoud get ban for sugesting such a thing.I dont think sam is a great coach but he is good and still can get better but this will never happen not even in your wildest dreams.

Not a very smart or realstic idea.

danny1
05-03-2008, 10:31 PM
sorry for the "bad" suggestion.

We all know we need a slasher. The easiest way to get one is through the draft. And in my eye Darrell Arthur can be one of the best. being 6'9 and having the ability to play at the SF is a bonus. Though unproven, we should roll the dice on him and i promise he'll be a steal.

Bob_at_york
05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
why is there pretty much NO rumours or news? This thread looks just like all the other "Trade and FA ideas" threads.

Kc17
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Anyone ever notice when a reporter asks Mitchell a tough question he either gets mad at them or tells them they should know the answer lmao.

pauljames
05-05-2008, 12:50 AM
I love watching mitchell interviews, damn hillarious.

maxgraham
05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Toronto Raptors G.M. Bryan Colangelo plans to keep restricted free agent-to-be Jose Calderon, which means he will have two choices for handling his point guard duo of Calderon and T.J. Ford: 1) Keep both and run the risk Ford will be unhappy if he loses the starting job or 2) Trade Ford. Moving him would be the best move, but getting equal value won’t be easy. He’s scheduled to make $16 million-plus over the next two years. …

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvxoLc.gm46_HE1jMFps.fG8vLYF?slug=inside dishhowardsmarijua&prov=tsn&type=lgns

LD V2.0
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Dallas Mavericks SF Josh Howard’s ill-timed admission that he smokes weed in the offseason should not affect his trade value. “He’s not a two- or three-time offender,” says a league G.M. “He hasn’t even tested positive.” Or, as another G.M. says: “It’s not like he’s an ax murderer.” That G.M. adds that Howard might even deserve props for being honest. Mavs owner Mark Cuban said in an e-mail that he’s not looking to deal Howard. We’ll see. Cuban has few other options if he wants to rebuild the supporting cast around PF Dirk Nowitzki. …

I had no idea Howard might be on the block this off-season. Who cares about the weed thing, it could be an isolated instance anyway. I wonder if the Raptors could entice Dallas to make a move with TJ Ford, the #1 pick and something else? I mean Kidd obviously isn't the answer and he could be moved again at any time.

Halladay
05-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Howard would be quite the pickup but as strange as it sounds, he's probably the last guy they'd be willing to trade.

AudinoRaps
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
dallas would not be taking back ford in return for howard because theyd be investing about $25 million on a point guard combo of old and injury prone. tyron lue is a serviceable backup anyway, plus jasont erry has a big deal and can play 1 and 2.

I've said it manytimes in the forum in other places, but hibbert just wont help.

I think if we do somehow get a guy like Biedrins (dream come true) without surrendering the first rounder, we should go for a guy like Donte greene in the draft. he is far from a finished product, but he could play dividends. Have him n delfino play the 3. i think delfino is an outstanding unsung part of this team. he hits big shots, plays tough d and is emotional. not to mention spends alot of time on his hair

Draco
05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
He's a serviceable SF that will permeate the qualities this team already has while adding a degree of toughness and grit.

I proposed this to Bulls fans in their forum earlier:

Calderon S&T plus 1st pick for Nocioni and their first pick. We draft Kevin Love.

TJ/Ukic
Parker/Delfino or MLE
Nocioni/Moon/Garbs
Bosh/Bargs
Rasho/Kevin Love

I'd be willing to overlook the cautionary rule of never trading tall for small when discussing a Calderon/Noce swap because having Noce is a luxury for the Bull's and acquiring a true PG is seen as a need.

However, I don't see too much of a difference in value between having Calderon over Hinrich. I'm not yet convinced it's an improvement and I'm generally a pretty harsh critic of Hinrich as PG. That said, the draft pick swap is a deal breaker IMO. Why couldn't the Bull's simply draft a player like Augustin and have him learn the position from Hinrich? This trade would be overpayment from the Bull's perspective and TO doesn't have enough leverage to pull it off. We already have a glut in the guard position and we could make due with who we have. TO needs improvement at SF, that's not a secret.

Then again I know not all trades are made based on both teams getting equal value.. so anything is possible.

Mile High Champ
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
If the Raps draft 1 of either JaVale McGee, Roy Hibbert, or Nicolas Batum (on draftexpress he is projected to drop) I would be so content that the raptors got a piece out of that draft that will actually benefit us in the future unlike waisted draft picks in the past

OMG has our past drafts taught you nothing. Never draft on need, Draft the best player always avalible. Examples of this. Hoffa at number 8, Radvojec at 12 or 13 a few years back.We could have had igoudala had we taken the best player on the board. These are guys we took based on need that went to high. Alaways take the best player on the board, you can always trade that player later to get that need... You have to take the best player on the board!

Mile High Champ
05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I have been shouting all around the toronto and this board for the past two months that I want BIEDRINS on the raps!

Bob_at_york
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I have been shouting all around the toronto and this board for the past two months that I want BIEDRINS on the raps!

You can keep saying it but that doesn't make it any more of a longshot:

OK, onto the real and a bit surprising news of the shoot-around. Mullin decided to address season-ending issues when he saw a bunch of us there, and he got pretty specific on a lot of issues, most especially Ellis and Andris Biedrins’ pending restricted free agency.

“We’ll keep them, and other decisions will be made,” Mullin said.

That woke me up. Hello? You’re definitely keeping them, no matter what? No matter that they might both get huge offers–that you’d have to match in order to keep them?

“We’ll keep them.”

Link: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/04/16/mullin-to-world-warriors-will-keep-monta-ellis-and-andris-biedrins-whatever-the-cost/

dirtybird
05-09-2008, 01:30 PM
That kind of what I expected the Warriors to do. Biedrins is pretty much their only legit post player and Ellis is just too good to allow to leave, especially under the system they run.

Numbers
05-09-2008, 04:37 PM
* As reported in the Denver Post *

The math does not compute for the Nuggets.

Somebody has to go.

Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby are the team's big three. But they proved to be a big zero in the NBA playoffs.

Convinced they must make a significant change to compete for a championship, it's no secret the Nuggets will actively pursue trade options. What's more significant, according to a source familiar with the team, is nobody on the Denver roster has been deemed absolutely untouchable.

The Nuggets want to make a deal.
- They are considering moving Carmelo Anthony and will be listening to trade offers -

The Claw
05-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I am the biggest fan of Jose and there's no question about it, but now that Jose publicly stated that he wanted to start, then BC has to check the market for how much Jose is really worth. Who he can get that will improve the team and put them to the elite status, an offer that will blow his mind.

But if he cant get what he wants then he needs to pursue the safer route, sign Calderon to a multi-year deal, trade TJ and dangle Rasho's expiring contract to package them by getting the slasher/defender/20 pt. ppg avg Small forward.

in other news, I guess the raps are stuck with Sam for the next year or so. Carlisle has verbally agreed to coach the Mavs. I dont care about D'Antoni.
SVG might be an option but lets just wait how Sam will fair if he has that offensive rebounding machine and a 20 pt. ppg avg. SF slasher/defender in his team.

The ball is on your court BC !!!

Halladay
05-12-2008, 02:32 AM
* As reported in the Denver Post *

The math does not compute for the Nuggets.

Somebody has to go.

Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby are the team's big three. But they proved to be a big zero in the NBA playoffs.

Convinced they must make a significant change to compete for a championship, it's no secret the Nuggets will actively pursue trade options. What's more significant, according to a source familiar with the team, is nobody on the Denver roster has been deemed absolutely untouchable.

The Nuggets want to make a deal.
- They are considering moving Carmelo Anthony and will be listening to trade offers -
As weird as it may sound, Melo isn't the guy I'd be looking at. I'd be looking at Camby. Hell, I might waive Bargs in there face to try and pry him away. Melo is a great player but look at his contract and think about how much they'll ask for him. That would be like us shopping Bosh, you'll have to give up a ton to get him. Like with Melo, A.I makes too much money and as great as he is, he wouldn't fit on alot of teams. Camby is the very definition of what this team needs-Toughness, Rebounding, Blocking, Defense, Post prescense. He's most likely the odd man out of Denver. Nobody would trade for K-Mart, I wouldn't take a chance on J.R Smith and they won't trade Linas Kleiza, by the looks of things, Camby appears to be the trade-bait. Do we have the trading pieces to get a deal done? Im not sure, but Bargnani might suay a team looking to shed salary, while receiving a player with upside.

pebloemer
05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
As weird as it may sound, Melo isn't the guy I'd be looking at. I'd be looking at Camby. Hell, I might waive Bargs in there face to try and pry him away. Melo is a great player but look at his contract and think about how much they'll ask for him. That would be like us shopping Bosh, you'll have to give up a ton to get him. Like with Melo, A.I makes too much money and as great as he is, he wouldn't fit on alot of teams. Camby is the very definition of what this team needs-Toughness, Rebounding, Blocking, Defense, Post prescense. He's most likely the odd man out of Denver. Nobody would trade for K-Mart, I wouldn't take a chance on J.R Smith and they won't trade Linas Kleiza, by the looks of things, Camby appears to be the trade-bait. Do we have the trading pieces to get a deal done? Im not sure, but Bargnani might suay a team looking to shed salary, while receiving a player with upside.

Melo isn't the guy I would be looking at either. We do not need more defensive liabilities. Especially at his price.

Bob_at_york
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Think there’s another Jamario Moon out there?

Talking to Bryan last week, he says they’re planning another of those free-agent, pre-draft camps here that yielded them Moon a year ago.

Of course, that was a bit of a find, can’t imagine there’s another one around but it will give them a chance to see a bunch of guys at one time instead of wading through a handful of scouting reports or individual workouts.

And unlike last year, when the camp was as much a make-work project for a team without a draft pick, the week leading up to the June 26 draft will be spent dealing with draft speculation and trade innuendo. You know, good days for a beat grunt.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Mile High Champ
05-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Bob, I dont think Biedrins is that unlkely when you compare him to many of the other suggestions of players the raptors could get.

Bob_at_york
05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Bob, I dont think Biedrins is that unlkely when you compare him to many of the other suggestions of players the raptors could get.

He is a RFA, one of the few centres on their team and Mullin said he was keeping him. I think that makes him quite unlikely. At least some of the other guys are actually on the trading block.

Mile High Champ
05-12-2008, 11:48 AM
He is a RFA, one of the few centres on their team and Mullin said he was keeping him. I think that makes him quite unlikely. At least some of the other guys are actually on the trading block.

Ok a few points. First there are opportunities to get guys via sign and trade. Nelson last year went small very often and biedrins minutes started to fall after the allstar break. If Baron Davis leaves becuase of Nelson, there now becomes a need for a PG in goldenstate. This is not out of the question. Just because a gm wants to keep a player, it doesnt mean he wont trade him, there is always that right deal out there to pull the trigger. Biedrins can be had!

Bob_at_york
05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Ok a few points. First there are opportunities to get guys via sign and trade. Nelson last year went small very often and biedrins minutes started to fall after the allstar break. If Baron Davis leaves becuase of Nelson, there now becomes a need for a PG in goldenstate. This is not out of the question. Just because a gm wants to keep a player, it doesnt mean he wont trade him, there is always that right deal out there to pull the trigger. Biedrins can be had!
Sure it is possible but it is not probable. If he loses Baron then he can use Ellis at the position or trade one of his many wing players for a PG. There is no need for him to create an even bigger hole at the C position when he has so many other tradeable pieces including Baron. Actually now that you have me thinking about it. I think there is a better chance of them getting Baron than them getting Biedrins. I would love Biedrins but i don't see it happening.

Mile High Champ
05-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Sure it is possible but it is not probable. If he loses Baron then he can use Ellis at the position or trade one of his many wing players for a PG. There is no need for him to create an even bigger hole at the C position when he has so many other tradeable pieces including Baron.

Ellis cant play the point, he is not a pass first kind of player and only an above average passer. Yes your right its not likely but I think its way more probable then many of the other suggestions on this board. What Im trying to say is that Golden state never used him really in a starting role. He only played 27 mins per game. Not much for a guy who averaged 10 and 10. Golden State likes to play small with harrington at the 5 most often.

Bob_at_york
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Ellis cant play the point, he is not a pass first kind of player and only an above average passer. Yes your right its not likely but I think its way more probable then many of the other suggestions on this board. What Im trying to say is that Golden state never used him really in a starting role. He only played 27 mins per game. Not much for a guy who averaged 10 and 10. Golden State likes to play small with harrington at the 5 most often.

I am aware about Ellis and everything else you said. I am also aware that the current Warriors are probably done after the next season. Their future is Ellis, Wright and Biedrins.

I also noticed you never responded to my comment that there is probably a better chance that they trade Baron? Do you agree or disagree?

Mile High Champ
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I am aware about Ellis and everything else you said. I am also aware that the current Warriors are probably done after the next season. Their future is Ellis, Wright and Biedrins.

I also noticed you never responded to my comment that there is probably a better chance that they trade Baron? Do you agree or disagree?

I think it is possible that they do trade Baron but I think it will be challenging to find a trade partner who is willing to deal young talent to get him. I thought that it may be possible for maybe a team like chicago to step in a try and aquire davis using a package based around hinrich, expiring contract and a draft pick. But I still can just see him walk away without being trade. He is unrestricted right?

Bob who do you think the raptors should get. Some realistic options and some guys on a wish list that could be obtainable.

Bob_at_york
05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I think it is possible that they do trade Baron but I think it will be challenging to find a trade partner who is willing to deal young talent to get him. I thought that it may be possible for maybe a team like chicago to step in a try and aquire davis using a package based around hinrich, expiring contract and a draft pick. But I still can just see him walk away without being trade. He is unrestricted right?
Looking at it like that... couldn't the Raptors offer TJ, Rasho and picks?

Bob who do you think the raptors should get. Some realistic options and some guys on a wish list that could be obtainable.

I have made that list many times in the Trade ideas thread. I am not listing them again here.

nads83
05-12-2008, 02:48 PM
a healthy baron is a monstr but how will his back hold up? dont mean to be a dick but hes due for another injury.

nads83
05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
^aaaactually. **** YEAH!!!! lets do it. he jus seems to be a great guy to play with. funny passionate and also rebounds well. hed have to play sg here tho.

pebloemer
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
^aaaactually. **** YEAH!!!! lets do it. he jus seems to be a great guy to play with. funny passionate and also rebounds well. hed have to play sg here tho.

I actually think he would play well with Calderon as he is always a pass first PG. Calderon would have to learn to play with another PG on the floor though. TJ and Jose didn't always get that going the way they could.

I'll post a trade in the trade ideas forum involving GS, let me know what you think.

JermanJaysFan
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
^^^
I love Baron Davis, but I think a bit of his dominance would be "wasted" playing the 2 guard here. Sure, he would still be a great player, but much of his game comes from physically dominating other PGs with his size and strength. He wouldn't be quite as imposing playing against SGs. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the addition, but it is something to think about.

Mile High Champ
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Baron Davis is a great pg but is not the need of this team, We need either an allstar type wing player (at the 3 position) or a strong center that can provide some scoring and REBOUNDING. I am always scared about baron's health though.

Bob I just havent seen any of your trade ideas really around the boars. Not sure where you posted them.

Numbers
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Rumors out of New York are that D'antoni is looking to get Diaw and Barbosa for the Knicks as Sarver and Kerr are not too happy with the pair and are looking to reduce salaries by acquiring expiring contracts.

( Source - New York Daily News)

How about:

Rasho
Garbo
Parker

for

Barbosa
Diaw

Salaries should be very close after BYC deadline passes and reduces Toronto's
need to get much for TJ in a Trade

Mile High Champ
05-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Rumors out of New York are that D'antoni is looking to get Diaw and Barbosa for the Knicks as Sarver and Kerr are not too happy with the pair and are looking to reduce salaries by acquiring expiring contracts.

( Source - New York Daily News)

How about:

Rasho
Garbo
Parker

for

Barbosa
Diaw

Salaries should be very close after BYC deadline passes and reduces Toronto's
need to get much for TJ in a Trade

The knicks package is more attractive due to the 22 million that would come off the books for suns if they got marbury for the following season. The suns are getting no one they truly need in that deal. I have heard a lot of things from the suns board and the phoenix news papers in their interest for Calderon.

Bob_at_york
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Poor Barbosa. Last time he heard news like this he cried.

JermanJaysFan
05-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Poor Barbosa. Last time he heard news like this he cried.

Haha thats funny 'cuz it's true.

snow22
05-13-2008, 03:02 PM
would u guys sign & trade calderon 4 barbosa or nash barbosa 4 rasho exp,calderon s&t,parker and a 1st round draft pick next year i no its not goin 2 happen but would u guys

MihaSaint
05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
The knicks package is more attractive due to the 22 million that would come off the books for suns if they got marbury for the following season. The suns are getting no one they truly need in that deal. I have heard a lot of things from the suns board and the phoenix news papers in their interest for Calderon.

I don't think that S.Kerr will make another bad move, Marbury is ex. player, and 22k come on, he's not Shaq :P.

If he is (kerr), let's trade Rasho,TJ,Bargs,Parker and Grahm for Amare,Nash and Diaw. :P

Mile High Champ
05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think that S.Kerr will make another bad move, Marbury is ex. player, and 22k come on, he's not Shaq :P.

If he is (kerr), let's trade Rasho,TJ,Bargs,Parker and Grahm for Amare,Nash and Diaw. :P

Its not that bad a move though. Yes you loose those two guys but phoenix wants to cut salary. If you pick up marbury for 1 seaon, his 22 million is off the books the next year. its worth it to trade guys like diaw and barbosa who have fallen out of favour with suns management. Maybe you also ask the knicks for a first rounder as well.

Kc17
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Ford To Knicks?

Jose Calderon has finally admitted he wants to be a starter, which is fine, because he should be one. So either the Spanish point guard must be moved by the Toronto Raptors in a sign-and-trade or T. J. Ford -- the nominal starter, deserving or not -- has to be shipped away. The tandem bike has to be turned into a unicycle. Or into a bicycle, maybe. The metaphor's murky, there.

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=242f46f7-1e42-45dd-ba1c-74a65ecf1dad

LD V2.0
05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Crawford isn't what the Raptors need. He's not a slasher and he takes far more ill-advised shots than the heavily criticized TJ Ford. If he comes to town I expect lots of ranting about him killing the flow of the offense and not getting others involved. David Lee is the guy that interests me. Maybe if the Raptors were willing to take the horrible Jerome James contract we could be talking about a workable deal?

Mile High Champ
05-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Crawford isn't what the Raptors need. He's not a slasher and he takes far more ill-advised shots than the heavily criticized TJ Ford. If he comes to town I expect lots of ranting about him killing the flow of the offense and not getting others involved. David Lee is the guy that interests me. Maybe if the Raptors were willing to take the horrible Jerome James contract we could be talking about a workable deal?

Agreed 100%, Lee is a guy thai is interesting because would certainly help us in the post and REBDOUNDING. Just cant seen Donnie Welsh and Dantoni moving maybe their best player.

mpickup
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I think the Knicks best player might be their lottery pick. that's the piece i'm interested in as a Raps fan.

If NY wants a fast PG to run things...we package T.J. and our pick, for the Knicks lottery pick (Mayo, Gallinari, Love, Batum??) and a similar contract. (preferably Malik Rose = bruiser, & coming off the books after next season).

LD V2.0
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Agreed 100%, Lee is a guy thai is interesting because would certainly help us in the post and REBDOUNDING. Just cant seen Donnie Welsh and Dantoni moving maybe their best player.

Yeah, Lee is probably going to be Walsh's more talented version of Jeff Foster.

I think the Knicks best player might be their lottery pick. that's the piece i'm interested in as a Raps fan.

If NY wants a fast PG to run things...we package T.J. and our pick, for the Knicks lottery pick (Mayo, Gallinari, Love, Batum??) and a similar contract. (preferably Malik Rose = bruiser, & coming off the books after next season).

See I'm thinking it would be far more pricey especially if TJ is involved as in TJ, the 17th overall pick, next year's #1 pick, maybe an expiring contract and the Raptors taking back a bad contract. Walsh isn't a chump and he's out to make a splash.

Mile High Champ
05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Lee is probably going to be Walsh's more talented version of Jeff Foster.

See I'm thinking it would be far more pricey as in TJ, the 17th overall pick, next year's pick, maybe an expiring contract and the Raptors taking back a bad contract. Walsh isn't a chump and he's out to make a splash.

Ohh yeah he is. Though he is a better offensive talent then foster for sure.

JermanJaysFan
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Not so much a rumour, but Doug Smith wrote this today:

You know what really sucks.

Seeing the Lakers play and seeing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, probably one of the top 10 players of all-time, being reduced to sitting behind the bench instead of on the bench, or in some place of higher respect.

I don’t know if Abdul-Jabbar would ever leave the organization, although he did work for the Clippers for a few years, but surely to goodness there’s some team out there that could use a coach with his knowledge and let him sit in the front row and contribute.

Sam? Bryan? You reading this?
Doug Smith's Blog (http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/)

Not a bad idea at all...

LD V2.0
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah but who? I love what Jay and Alex bring to the table. Oh and Mike has only been getting great reviews. Out of those three I guess Mike would have to be the odd man out.

Mile High Champ
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah but who? I love what Jay and Alex bring to the table. Oh and Mike has only been getting great reviews. Out of those three I guess Mike would have to be the odd man out.

Would the Dream be interested?

LD V2.0
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think MLSE would want to pay him another dime after his last fiasco. He no doubt could help guys like Andrea and Chris though.

Halladay
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Andrea needs someone, anyone to show him the ropes in the paint. Kareem would be perfect...a little too perfect.

JWalk126
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I read somewhere that an ACB team is talking to Garbo about opting out of his contract and playing in Europe

the link was in Hebrew, so it wouldnt be much help if I posted it

LD V2.0
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Carlos Delfino said he'd like to continue playing for the Toronto Raptors, but admitted he is open to other options -- "whether in the NBA or Europe". Yahoo! Sports
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm.

Bob_at_york
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Europe? Interesting. I don't believe he would actually do that. I think he said that for bargining purposes.

LD V2.0
05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I read somewhere that an ACB team is talking to Garbo about opting out of his contract and playing in Europe

the link was in Hebrew, so it wouldnt be much help if I posted it

But Jorge doesn't have an opt out option in his contract.

Bob_at_york
05-19-2008, 03:29 PM
From Doug's blog:

I’m told not only is John Lucas likely to get an interview in Chicago (Cleveland reported this on the weekend) but Lucas is also in line to chat with Phoenix about that job opening.

What I’m sort of surprised about, given the breadth of their searches, is that neither the Suns nor the Bulls have thought about approaching Toronto about any of its three assistants, all of whom, I’d say, have as much chance at being a successful NBA head coach as some of the guys (Elston Turner? Tyrone Corbin? Bryan Shaw?) No disrespect to those guys (and I’ve always thought ex-Raptor Corbin would be a head coach some day) but surely teams would at least have an interest in the Toronto guys?

And I know all three would listen if someone called. And I’m sure the Raptors would give them permission to be interviewed if it came up.

But, before anyone gets up in arms about what this might mean to Lucas’s off-season training sessions and whether or not Bargnani will get some help this summer, let’s let the interview process play out and see if Lucas lands one of these jobs. I’d say it’s a long, long, long shot that he’s a head coach in either Chicago or Phoenix next year.

Lucas could be getting a head coaching job again? Good for him.

JermanJaysFan
05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
From Doug's blog:

Lucas could be getting a head coaching job again? Good for him.

On the off chance that it does happen, I hope the Raptors find a big man to work with Bargs this offseason, and possibly beyond. I am sure Lucas would be a great guy for him to work with, but I really think that a big man needs to be showing him the ropes, at least as part of his offseason plans.,

lukeem21
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Report that New Jersey is close to sending Jefferson, Marcus Williams, Keith Van Horne's contract and their pick for Carmelo and Camby http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/Nets_have_shot_to_land_gold_Nugget.html

TJ Ford, Parker, Rasho and the raps 1st pick this year and next does that better it? Parker is no Jefferson but i'd take Ford over Williams, Rasho over Van Horne's contract and 2 1st rounders over one

I've never been a huge melo fan and think he is overrated but bringing in melo and camby might be a really good fit

LD V2.0
05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
The Hoopshype.com headline when I got up this morning was...

Nets talking trade

The New Jersey Nets have inquired about Boris Diaw, Leandrinho Barbosa, Andrea Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony, according to the Newark Star-Ledger ... Sixers to pursue Zach Randolph? ... Paul Millsap to have surgery ... No Olympic Games for Zydrunas Ilgauskas? ... Patrick Ewing not a serious candidate for D'Antoni's staff ... •
http://hoopshype.com/

Numbers
05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
*the most substantive talks have been with Toronto regarding Andrea Bargnani* paraphrase of quote in Star Ledger on who the Nets are talking to.

Bargnani is a version of Kiki Vandeweghe that the Nets GM may want to take on as a personal project to develop. I hope BC makes a move with Bargs cause it will be proof that the front office is seeing the same problems the fans are but I think the outcome of the draft lottery will dictate the teams, the trades and the players involved in any trade.

LD V2.0
05-20-2008, 09:27 AM
If the deal involves Richard Jefferson coming to Toronto then its a good deal. I really don't see Andrea developing fast enough to keep the wolves at bay here in Toronto.

Mile High Champ
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Report that New Jersey is close to sending Jefferson, Marcus Williams, Keith Van Horne's contract and their pick for Carmelo and Camby http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/Nets_have_shot_to_land_gold_Nugget.html

TJ Ford, Parker, Rasho and the raps 1st pick this year and next does that better it? Parker is no Jefferson but i'd take Ford over Williams, Rasho over Van Horne's contract and 2 1st rounders over one

I've never been a huge melo fan and think he is overrated but bringing in melo and camby might be a really good fit

its hardly close when they say they have only discussed about making a deal. I need to here from a source that does not come from a NJ paper in regard to them getting carmelo. I need to see at espn or si to beleive any of it.

Mile High Champ
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I really want to keep Delfino in the fold, he is a great guy to have in a 7-8 man rotation.

snow22
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
toronto gets camby
melo

denver gets ford
bargs
rasho exp
2 1st rounders

would u guys do it

raptors wiseguy
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
toronto gets camby
melo

denver gets ford
bargs
rasho exp
2 1st rounders

would u guys do it

this trade fills toronto's 2 biggest needs but..i'd love to do it without giving up bargnani... he just has so much potential

We get 2 all-star level players but camby is getting old...i'd do it if we replaced bargs with a combo of delfino and parker

dirtybird
05-21-2008, 12:22 AM
toronto gets camby
melo

denver gets ford
bargs
rasho exp
2 1st rounders

would u guys do it

I would make that trade in a nanosecond (but Denver would never do that). Anytime you can get a young franchise player and a good role player (at a decent contract) for a guy with a huge health risk, a big maybe, expiring contract and non-lotto picks you need to make that trade. That being said, the Raptors D would probably be pretty bad although the rebounding/shot blocking problem would be drastically improved.

phlp_bj
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
The Bulls, who have soured completely on Kirk Hinrich as their point guard, take Memphis' Derrick Rose, a Chicago product represented by an agent with close ties to the Bulls organization, with the No.1 pick.

That leaves the Heat to decide whether they want Kansas State power forward Michael Beasley and, if they do, Miami will still be in the market for an accomplished point guard, something Toronto has in T.J. Ford and Jose Calderon.

No one from the Raptors was talking in specifics yesterday, but the chance to move either Ford or Calderon could net someone like power forward Udonis Haslem in some kind of package deal.

And with the way general manager Bryan Colangelo likes to think, there's even a likelihood he'll ask about the availability of the No.2 pick in some kind of blockbuster trade.

There is no doubt teams covet Calderon, a restricted free agent, in some kind of sign-and-trade transaction and there's also no doubt the Raptors have fielded several calls about him. And Ford, according to league sources, has plenty of marketability around the league as teams see him as a starter with a manageable contract that pays him slightly more than $8 million a season for the next three.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/428481

ink
05-22-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/428481

Trade rumours thread. I think this article was already posted this morning wasn't it?

danny1
05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
toronto gets camby
melo

denver gets ford
bargs
rasho exp
2 1st rounders

would u guys do it

This sounds like a good trade, I would take it and then deal Melo to Washington and try to get Jamison or Butler who would work better as a 2nd scoring opiton. This is only if Bosh and Melo can't work well together.

nads83
05-22-2008, 08:45 PM
melo dosnt strike me as someone who wud enjoy his stay in tor. i dont think the fans wud either. i smell trouble from miles away. bad idea...not that theres any chance of it happening anyway

LD V2.0
05-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Why wouldn't Melo enjoy Toronto? Its a huge city, lots of culture, lots of clubs and lots of beautiful women. He might be hesitant at first though.

C_Mund
05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd be unsure of getting Melo in any kind of deal. I'd rather have Iverson, who's proven that he can win games with some (but not too much) talent around him. This sounds like a raps kind of scenario to me, AI could be our scorer and leader, and Bosh would be our heart and second scorer. This would be way better than Melo getting into fights and DUI's then coming to drop 36 points for us in a lop-sided loss. I know Melo's really good, but I don't like him or his chances to lead any team to a 'chip.

canzano55
05-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Iverson is an old man...no thanks.

ImOnFire12
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
1. I just heard something from the Denver Nuggets Forum and they want too Trade AI for Andrea Bargani, Jorge Gorbjosa(dont know how 2 spell his last name lol), Tj Ford, and Anthony Parker(not a good idea trading him), but the lineup would look like this: Pg. Jose Calderon Sg. Allen Iverson. Sf Jamario Moon. Pf. Chris Bosh. C. Rasho Nestericov (replace him with a veteran center who knows how 2 grab boards and a shot blocker)

2.I think the Raps should draft Chris Douglas Roberts or Darrell Arthur these two guys would help the raps alot and our new back pg would be Roko Ukic or Anthony Carter(his alot Cheaper) What do u guys think.

JermanJaysFan
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
1. I just heard something from the Denver Nuggets Forum and they want too Trade AI for Andrea Bargani, Jorge Gorbjosa(dont know how 2 spell his last name lol), Tj Ford, and Anthony Parker(not a good idea trading him), but the lineup would look like this: Pg. Jose Calderon Sg. Allen Iverson. Sf Jamario Moon. Pf. Chris Bosh. C. Rasho Nestericov (replace him with a veteran center who knows how 2 grab boards and a shot blocker)

Garbajosa

Heres the idea from the Denver forum:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225282

About doing that deal, I would be a little apprehensive about making AI the SG, especially with Jose's defense at the PG spot. And you mention we would need to replace Rasho with a vet C who can rebound and block shots? Denver's got one of those for us too...

Nocturnal Rat
05-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't think AI will fit into our future plan.

snow22
05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
ai & camby the deals done

camby
bosh
moon
iverson
calderon
wow

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
ai & camby the deals done
what do you mean the deal's done? I just googled and found nothing.

nads83
05-26-2008, 10:52 AM
what do you mean the deal's done? I just googled and found nothing.

lol you googled it? why? obviously its a a joke

snow22
05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
sorry i meant i would do that deal so 4 messing u up i just meant i do it sorry sould have benn more clear

snow22
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
would u do it bob on the denver board they seem 2 b intrested

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 10:58 AM
lol you googled it? why? obviously its a a joke

Dude, this isn't the trade suggestions thread. If somebody says a deal is done in here then it is supposed to be a hot rumour or something. I am not listening to the FAN or anything so the Raptors forum is where I am getting my news at this exact moment.

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
would u do it bob on the denver board they seem 2 b intrested

Some people think Camby is practically done. I don't agree with that assessment. I am not sure what the full deal is that you are proposing but I think it would help the Raptors quite a bit.

snow22
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Some people think Camby is practically done. I don't agree with that assessment. I am not sure what the full deal is that you are proposing but I think it would help the Raptors quite a bit.

toronto gets ai & camby

denver gets ford,bargs,garbo,rasho and a future 1st round

clehmun
05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Dude, this isn't the trade suggestions thread. If somebody says a deal is done in here then it is supposed to be a hot rumour or something. I am not listening to the FAN or anything so the Raptors forum is where I am getting my news at this exact moment.

i guess you just read it differently, when i read it, it was pretty clear to me that he was just playing GM, saying if they throw in camby, he'd do the deal.

but anyways, it's not a bad trade, but our team gets a lot older. it's almost like boston, where we sell our future for the opportunity to win now. the problem with that is, i don't see us winning it all even with that roster.
we'll have a better record and a better chance, but not a high enough chance for us to throw away our future.

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
i guess you just read it differently, when i read it, it was pretty clear to me that he was just playing GM, saying if they throw in camby, he'd do the deal.

but anyways, it's not a bad trade, but our team gets a lot older. it's almost like boston, where we sell our future for the opportunity to win now. the problem with that is, i don't see us winning it all even with that roster.
we'll have a better record and a better chance, but not a high enough chance for us to throw away our future.
I don't think we sell our future with this example. At this moment I believe AI is a 20 mil expiring (which if you think about it kindof makes it weird that we are trading them a bunch of expirings) and Camby has a decreasing salary. We would still have a lot of financial flexibility. Sure we would be giving up on Bargs but we would be getting our rebounder, our secondary scorer and our defence would get better. On top of all that, I am pretty sure what was suggested had us keeping this year's pick. We would still have some good youth on the team.

clehmun
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't think we sell our future with this example. At this moment I believe AI is a 20 mil expiring (which if you think about it kindof makes it weird that we are trading them a bunch of expirings) and Camby has a decreasing salary. We would still have a lot of financial flexibility. Sure we would be giving up on Bargs but we would be getting our rebounder, our secondary scorer and our defence would get better. On top of all that, I am pretty sure what was suggested had us keeping this year's pick. We would still have some good youth on the team.

well, yes we won't be selling the future completely. but we still let go of some of our valuable future pieces.
AI is an expiring contract, but so is ours in rasho, (is garbo?)...
but do you intend on keeping AI for only one year? if so, his deal becomes a rental player type deal. so we'll have to look at it differently.
if we do plan to resign AI, then he becomes part of our future... it won't be as much as what he's making now, but i doubt he'll be willing to take a severe paycut, he has to much of an ego to play for 5 million a year.

the suggested deal, have us keeping our pick this year which i like, but also giving up a future 1st rounder.

so you sound like you're for this deal or no...

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
well, yes we won't be selling the future completely. but we still let go of some of our valuable future pieces.
AI is an expiring contract, but so is ours in rasho, (is garbo?)......
Garbo is an expiring.

but do you intend on keeping AI for only one year? if so, his deal becomes a rental player type deal. so we'll have to look at it differently.
I wasn't the one who suggested the deal. Maybe we should ask them what they intended. I would probably prefer to rent him and save money because he would be looking for a big extension.

the suggested deal, have us keeping our pick this year which i like, but also giving up a future 1st rounder.

so you sound like you're for this deal or no...
A future 1st rounder in the 22-30 range (because I believe we will be that good) would most likely have trouble getting any court time with us. We need not worry about that.

snow22
05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
thats y i would give them a future 1st not this years because i think we would be much better if this trade went down

clehmun
05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Garbo is an expiring.

I wasn't the one who suggested the deal. Maybe we should ask them what they intended. I would probably prefer to rent him and save money because he would be looking for a big extension.

A future 1st rounder in the 22-30 range (because I believe we will be that good) would most likely have trouble getting any court time with us. We need not worry about that.

1. thanks for clearing garbo`s contract to me.
2. then what`s the point of renting AI. i thought you were still a big fan of bargnani, so you`d give him up just to rent AI for a year then try and go for other players..:confused:
i couldn`t remember the last team to trade for key players and have a different team then won the championship in the first year (maybe boston this year), so isn`t that a little waste of time..
if you want to clear up cap space, there are other ways to do it without having to give up bargnani... unless you put it TJ, garbo, rasho for AI, and bargnani for camby.
3. yes i agree... but thats if we`re winning, and if thats the team we are going for... if you intend on just renting AI, then that pick becomes mroe valuable.

VinceIsASally
05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
This team would be absolutely scary with AI and Camby. Sign Diop to backup Camby for the MLE. Giving up on Bargnani is worth the shot with AI. He is that good and we lighten his load by letting Jose run things and let AI do what he does best which is score. You will never get a better return on Bargnani and at the very least, AI expires and we have tremendous cap flexibility, or we use him as a valubale trading piece, all at a time when there will be a ton of top tier free agents that we will have the capability of going after. Makes total sense, and Nuggets fans in their forum seem to really like this idea.

mpickup
05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Talking about bringing in Iverson for Bargnani?...then letting Iverson walk for cap space, or use him as trade bait? Sounds like your not getting much return for Il Mago.
Unless Denver is looking to Ship Melo or Kleiza (which they likely aren't), then I don't see the need to take their contract headaches and put them on our payroll....and give them young talented players in return.

Bob_at_york
05-26-2008, 03:28 PM
1. thanks for clearing garbo`s contract to me.
2. then what`s the point of renting AI. i thought you were still a big fan of bargnani, so you`d give him up just to rent AI for a year then try and go for other players..:confused:
I am a big fan of Bargs but don't forget we are also talking about Camby who is really good. I think this trade plus some small moves could get us to the conference finals, maybe more. I actually think the loss of Garbo could be the bigger one.

VinceIsASally
05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Talking about bringing in Iverson for Bargnani?...then letting Iverson walk for cap space, or use him as trade bait? Sounds like your not getting much return for Il Mago.
Unless Denver is looking to Ship Melo or Kleiza (which they likely aren't), then I don't see the need to take their contract headaches and put them on our payroll....and give them young talented players in return.

We would be giving up a potentially good young player for two proven players who if they don't pan out, will give us teh financial flexibility to go out and sign proven players once again through free agency or trade. It is trading uncertainty for certainty and realizing that this would be the biggest opportunity to correct a mistake. Too often do teams hold on to young players hoping for them to pan out and refusing to admit they may have made a mistake in judgement.

P.I.
05-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Is it possible getting Carmelo?
only ones locked up for me in Toronto Locker Room is Bosh, Jose and Capono.
And Bargnani, only because its his second year, but i dont think its possible for the raps to get the type of talent they need without trading a future player back.

PS. TJ has got to go.

Beach Rock
05-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey guys and Gals...I'm sure some of you know this already but there was short article on HoppsHype saying that Calderon is deemed "untouchable" by the Raptors. I don't have a link and it's not a big article but just go to the site if you want to read it. Also if you are an ESPN insider member you can get more on it! Thought some of you would like to know this. Again it is "rumor" but I thought it was noteworthy. Cheers!

Beach Rock
05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually here is the link to the site for those of you that aen't into HoopsHype.
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Also a little info on TJ and his marketability there today as well.

ink
05-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey guys and Gals...I'm sure some of you know this already but there was short article on HoppsHype saying that Calderon is deemed "untouchable" by the Raptors. I don't have a link and it's not a big article but just go to the site if you want to read it. Also if you are an ESPN insider member you can get more on it! Thought some of you would like to know this. Again it is "rumor" but I thought it was noteworthy. Cheers!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2008/05/the_waw_report.html

killersweet
05-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Rumor from NY:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05292008/sports/knicks/kerr_slow_to_assist_dantoni_112954.htm

"As he said on lottery night, Walsh is considering trading the No. 6 pick, and sources here indicate the Raptors will be active on June 26. The Raptors are beginning to shop PG T.J. Ford, according to a league executive. . . . Memphis' Joey Dorsey created a stir yesterday, saying he has inside information that the Bulls will take Michael Beasley with the No. 1 pick. "

LD V2.0
06-02-2008, 08:34 AM
On the "flip side," assistant Michael Curry - not Terry Porter, a leading candidate for the Suns' vacancy, or Dave Cowens - is certain to succeed Saunders. The former Pistons guard, union president and league official was a Dumars appointment last summer.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012008/sports/pistons_flip_out_113448.htm

Curry has come a long way since retirement. I hope he does well in the head coach role, assuming this is true.

LD V2.0
06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
A team like Seattle, which owns four 2008 seconds, probably would ship one out for cash, or a Ford deal might include one.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/06/04/5765716-sun.html

Looks like a 2nd rounder could be easily obtained.

Bob_at_york
06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Curry has come a long way since retirement. I hope he does well in the head coach role, assuming this is true.

It looks like he could be getting the head coach job in Detroit:

A couple of weeks ago, the media reported that the Detroit Pistons had denied the Chicago Bulls permission to talk to Michael Curry about their head-coaching vacancy. Because refusing to give assistants the OK to interview for head jobs is unusual, we contacted Pistons president Joe Dumars to see if the reports were true.

Essentially, they were. But Dumars stressed that he also had given permission to the Phoenix Suns to talk to another Pistons assistant, Terry Porter. Dumars said he wanted to keep Curry in the organization to groom him, much like the Miami Heat did with Eric Spoelstra, who served as an assistant for 13 years before being named Pat Riley's successor last month.

Well, after the Pistons fired Flip Saunders on Tuesday, one wonders if Curry's timetable has been stepped up.

Link: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=419288

LD V2.0
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
As for Redick, he'll talk with Smith this week and the meeting might determine if he stays or not. "The thing I want to discuss is my future here and kind of what their plan is. As I said all along, I want to play here . . . but I want to play," Redick said. "I can't predict the future. I honestly think when training camp starts, I'll be here -- that's my gut feeling -- but I don't know."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-mside1508may15,0,4702801.story

"I want to play. There were a lot of things that were said last summer and in the preseason, you know, and I thought I was going to play. It didn't happen," Redick said.

"I'm certainly not going to sit there and hear the same stuff and think I'm going to get the same results. I'm going to put some of this on myself to get better, but there's got to be an opportunity for me to get on the court."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-mside1508may15,0,4702801.story

lovingTO
06-10-2008, 09:58 AM
^ Why are some people hung up on JJ? He is exactly what this team DOESN'T need. He is an unathletic, undersized, and just plain terrible defender that can only shot the jump shot(granted something he is very good at doing). How would he help the raptors in any way?:confused:

He clearly wants to play(according to the article above) so taking him on as a project is also no good. JJ is not a fit for toronto.

JWalk126
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
RUMOR: Is Brezec Returning to Slovenian League?

The craziest rumor is, however, the possible return of Primoz Brezec to his home country of Slovenia. Apparently, a very rich entrepreneur wants to pay Brezec’ salary while he would play for Olimpija Ljubljana. How true this is, has yet to be verified but Brezec has already stated that he won’t stay in the NBA for less than USD 3 million (about EUR 1.5 million net), a salary that top European teams like Barcelona where he is rumored to go, can pay.

Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/greece/the-nba-euro-exodus-continues/)

Bob_at_york
06-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I wish Primoz the best of luck.

LD V2.0
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
The Suns are also exploring the idea of acquiring a second first-round choice. Doing so might cost them Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw. "If we could capitalize on (the depth of the draft) and get more than one (first-round pick), we would," Griffin said. "If that's below us or above us, either way that's fine. It's just a potentially good opportunity to fill a few needs and address our need for youth."
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/118706

I wonder would Colangelo try to pry Diaw or Barbosa away from Phoenix? Does the Sarver/Colangelo bitterness rule out the possibility of Toronto and Phoenix hooking up for a trade?

Bob_at_york
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I wonder would Colangelo try to pry Diaw or Barbosa away from Phoenix? Does the Sarver/Colangelo bitterness rule out the possibility of Toronto and Phoenix hooking up for a trade?

I think that BC would try but Sarver would veto it.

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Ukic is playing in Spain next season

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I read this online, and now I just noticed it doesnt seem to make much sense

This is a tricky one, but it seems like it is very possible. It does include Mario Kasun and Roko Ukic though. Roko played a great season in Rome, where his team made it all the way to the finals and only lost to Montepaschi Siena. We know that the Raptors drafted him in 2005 but do they really want or need him?

Right now Ukic has a contract with FC Barcelona, the team that wants Juan Carlos Navarro back so bad. Mario Kasun who already played in the NBA for the Orlando Magic, does also have another year on his contract, but Barcelona is filled with centers and rumored to be interested in Mark Gasol anyway. So why not make a package deal, where FC Barcelona sends Mario Kasun and Roko Ukic to the Memphis Grizzlies to get Juan Carlos back?
Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/thursday-rumors/)

I dont know what to make of this, it is a little relevant to the Raptors

anyone think they can help me understand that?

Bob_at_york
06-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Ukic is playing in Spain next season

really? I wonder if it was BC or his decision.

Bob_at_york
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I read this online, and now I just noticed it doesnt seem to make much sense

Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/thursday-rumors/)

I dont know what to make of this, it is a little relevant to the Raptors

anyone think they can help me understand that?

Wow... that really doesn't make any sense. If you take the Roko parts out it still makes no sense. If Kasan has a contract with Orlando and is playing for them, how can the team from Europe trade him? :confused:

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
this would sound a whole lot better if this was the team trying to get Garbo out of his contract, but it isnt this team

Bob_at_york
06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
this would sound a whole lot better if this was the team trying to get Garbo out of his contract, but it isnt this team

yeah, I was kindof curious if the team that signs him overseas should give us some type of compensation.

JWalk126
06-18-2008, 09:16 PM
dont the Raps get some money back anyways?

are there ever actual transactions (trading) between NBA and Euro teams?

LD V2.0
06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
A Heat official said several teams have expressed an interest in Udonis Haslem if Miami drafts and keeps Michael Beasley, which remains a strong possibility. Haslem could be swapped for a point guard, with Kirk Hinrich, T.J. Ford and Mo Williams in play, and less appealing names (Jamaal Tinsley, Jarrett Jack, Kyle Lowery) also available.
http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/573834.html

Haslem would be a great sixth man. Yes, the Raptors can have good PF come off the bench and play 20 to 30 minutes per game. Rebounding would take a jump and I think Chris, Andrea and Udonis could play effective ball together at the end of games when they could use the mismatches provided by Andrea and the rebounding provided by Udonis.

Sports Illustrator
06-19-2008, 12:36 AM
A Heat official said several teams have expressed an interest in Udonis Haslem if Miami drafts and keeps Michael Beasley, which remains a strong possibility. Haslem could be swapped for a point guard, with Kirk Hinrich, T.J. Ford and Mo Williams in play, and less appealing names ( Jamaal Tinsley, Jarrett Jack, Kyle Lowery) also available.

From Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/573834.html)

nads83
06-19-2008, 07:20 AM

if its for ford, miami better be giving up wright as well

pebloemer
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Here's a big article for draft news and trade rumours. I was not sure where to put it because of everything discussed, so here it is. Sounds like Westbrook is a hot name being floated around. I expect to watch an excited draft day :).

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Drafttradetalk-080618&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDrafttradetalk-080618

Bob_at_york
06-19-2008, 08:44 AM

this article looks familiar. :D

DenButsu
06-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Just a very minor bit of rumor here, but one that Canadians might find of interest, maybe?

ETC.: A source said the Nuggets are deep into negotiations to play Toronto in an October preseason game in Edmonton, Alberta . . .drmn (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/19/i-appears-unlikely-opt-out-contract/)

Bob_at_york
06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Just a very minor bit of rumor here, but one that Canadians might find of interest, maybe?

drmn (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/19/i-appears-unlikely-opt-out-contract/)

Great news! Thanks! I know that in the past the franchise has promised to play pre-season games across the country, good to see they might be finally following through!

DenButsu
06-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Great news! Thanks! I know that in the past the franchise has promised to play pre-season games across the country, good to see they might be finally following through!

Was the preseason in Europe thing last season a one time only deal or is that a fixture now? You guys had a lot of games over there, right? What did you think of that?

JermanJaysFan
06-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Was the preseason in Europe thing last season a one time only deal or is that a fixture now? You guys had a lot of games over there, right? What did you think of that?

I don't know how permanent that will be- we had training camp there and played some Euro teams, yeah. We also played against the Celtics in Rome...

AgentViet
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
A Diaw trade possibility involved Toronto, where talk centered on Diaw leaving for point guard T.J. Ford and the Raptors' No. 17 pick in Thursday's draft. Talks cooled but might reignite with Porter aboard. In Porter's first season as Milwaukee's head coach, Ford helped the Bucks to a 41-41 playoff season. When Ford missed the next season after neck surgery, the Bucks went 30-52 and fired Porter.

AZ Central
(http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/06/19/20080619sunsnotes.html)

Don't like this deal, Diaw's contract isn't great and he doesn't really fill our top needs IMO. I wouldn't deal TJ for Diaw straight up, not to mention the pick.

JWalk126
06-22-2008, 12:46 AM
I read on an Israeli sports page that Panathinaikos of Greece are trying to get Delphino to sign with them

this is in response to rival olympiacos getting 4 major signings in the past week

killersweet
06-23-2008, 10:50 AM
From D.Smith's blog:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Raptors are trying to work on a deal for J.O'Neal

Bob_at_york
06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I can't get Doug's blog called up but I googled and found this from Indy:

The Pacers and Toronto Raptors have discussed a possible deal with O'Neal going north of the border with point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic coming to Indiana, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The deal may also include Toronto's first-round pick (No. 17) in Thursday's draft.

Link: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS04/806230395

argo
06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Haslem would be a great sixth man. Yes, the Raptors can have good PF come off the bench and play 20 to 30 minutes per game. Rebounding would take a jump and I think Chris, Andrea and Udonis could play effective ball together at the end of games when they could use the mismatches provided by Andrea and the rebounding provided by Udonis.

how many PF's do we need? none of these guys should be guarding 3's or 5's

Countdown
06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Ford, Rasho, Graham
for
#2(Beasley), Blount, Banks, Dorrell Wright(S&T about $5 mill)

Do you think Miami would take it? They get a PG, 2 expirings in Rasho and Graham. They give up 2 bad contracts in the process.

If not this the Raptors could try a 3-way

where the..
Raptors get Camby, Hunter, Atkins(maybe Nene(bad contract) instead of Hunter and Atkins) 7th pick

Nuggets get Maggette, Nesterovic

Clippers get Ford, 20th pick, future 1st rounder from Toronto(or 2)

Thoughts?

Countdown
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Just thought I'd also throw this 4 way trade out there

Raptors get
Marcus Camby
Rip Hamilton
bad contract
13th pick

Pistons get
Allen Iverson
Joey Graham
17th pick

Nuggets get
TJ Ford
Rasho Nesterovic
Andrea Bargnani
Martell Webster/Travis Outlaw

Blazers gets
Chauncey Billups
Anthony Parker/Jason Kapono

Thoughts?

koreancabbage
06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Blazers get ripped off

WaterBoy24
06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
James Posey...looks like his opting out...
BC go get him,the most underated player in the league...he basically won the championship for boston.
He guarded the best players,great character,hard nosed,good rebounder,great 3pt shooter,his a champion.
Also if he really want's 2 get maimi on us..Udonis Haslem is available from Maimi,posey played for maimi also,and he won the championship there 2..
We have kapano already,wow we could be the maimi raptors...
And also if he really,really want's 2 get maimi on us 2 years from now D Wade will be available and raptors will have plenty of cap money...J O'neal deal will end,other players contract will end also.

nads83
06-30-2008, 06:02 PM
humphries (2.5mil)

for

stromile swift (5,8mil)

not sure if this works for us financially or if we'd be able to add another piece afterwards but stro is definatly a freak athlete that will dunk everything even remotely near the basket, block shots and even put it on the floor a bit (though offence is not his stregth he shoots near 50%). i think calderon can help him blossom into a good player similar to how paul impacts chandler

nads83
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
btw...nets have no need for swift now. so theyed probably do it just to shed salary

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
humphries (2.5mil)

for

stromile swift (5,8mil)

not sure if this works for us financially or if we'd be able to add another piece afterwards but stro is definatly a freak athlete that will dunk everything even remotely near the basket, block shots and even put it on the floor a bit (though offence is not his stregth he shoots near 50%). i think calderon can help him blossom into a good player similar to how paul impacts chandler

doesn't work out financially.

Rapthug
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Swift is terrible...........has the odd amazing dunk but is a non-factor 95% of the time. I'd much rather have Hump.

The Raps won't sign Posey and he is likely going to get paid far more than he's worth. He did have a good playoffs.....should I say finals really (so 2 weeks). What did he do durring the regular season? He was more noted for waiting for KG and PP at center court to give them a hug before tip off. I think he's a good player but I don't think he's worth $5-6 mil that someone is going to pay him.

Bob_at_york
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
this wasn't meant to be a trade idea thread and really, rumours are becoming reality now. I don't think we need this thread anymore so I am un-sticking it.