PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Rolen

Halladay
04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I was curious as to what people expect from Rolen this season after all, JP did trade our best power hitter for him. He's proven in his career that if he's healthy he has a great bat. The defense us a given, many "experts" have called him the best defensive third basemen to ever play the game. In a small amount of AB's(and I mean a very small amount)through 11 AB's he's batting .364 1 HR 4 RBI and a 1.280 OPS coming off a broken finger. My expectations for his bat are .295 25 HR 100 RBI .900 OPS. Are my expectations too high? This is a guy who's had problems with his shoulder the last 3 or 4 years and something could happen to it at any given time. What do you expect?

jrice9
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
your expectations are a little high especially cuz he probabally wont stay healthy

dirtybird
04-28-2008, 11:18 AM
15HR .280ish .750-.800OPS

nstojic
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
if he's healthy for the remainder of the year, .285, 18 HR, 80 RBI, .900 OPS

jrice9
04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
his ops should be around 880-910but his other non sabmeric numbers will infulenced by his games played

cynomatic
04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Gold glove defense

.285 Avg , 27 HR, 84 RBI

boms-4
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
hopfully 20 HR

torontosports10
04-28-2008, 02:39 PM
id be happy with

23-27 homers 90+ rbi .280 or higher average over .350 on base % and round 850-900 ops

nithanyo
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
20hr, 90rbi, .290 is all i want from rolen... i dunno if his injuries will let him get that high

Matt-the-great
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Rolen regardless of time played (assuming he is healthy when he does play), should have .285, .355, .490...so an OPS of .845...that would be great

if he can play the rest of the season, then i would expect 22 hr's and 90 rbi's.....assuming he stays in the 3-4-5 spots

nstojic
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
well, his sportsnet/espn player page has him 'on pace' for 46 HR, 185 RBI, 46 SB, 93 2B... soooooo, anything just shy of that i'd be happy with :rolleyes:

JAYZFAN9
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
^ lol

Halladay
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
185 RBI is reasonable.

bomber0104
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
.290 , 23 HR, 88 Rbi seems reasonable.

WillRain
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I was curious as to what people expect from Rolen this season after all, JP did trade our best power hitter for him. He's proven in his career that if he's healthy he has a great bat. The defense us a given, many "experts" have called him the best defensive third basemen to ever play the game. In a small amount of AB's(and I mean a very small amount)through 11 AB's he's batting .364 1 HR 4 RBI and a 1.280 OPS coming off a broken finger. My expectations for his bat are .295 25 HR 100 RBI .900 OPS. Are my expectations too high? This is a guy who's had problems with his shoulder the last 3 or 4 years and something could happen to it at any given time. What do you expect?

I think the .900 OPS (give or take .015) is a really good reasonable level. On the counting stats, you might want to adjust those for the missing month. That is, 25/100 for a full season is dead on, but when you reduce that by about 14% so maybe 22 or 23 hr and 85-90 RBI

Tragedy
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Gold glove defense

.285 Avg , 27 HR, 84 RBI
Those sound like the most logical choices for him. Though, I don't doubt that he'll hit less HR's. I'll be interested in seeing if he can keep his shoulder in check all season long.

WillRain
04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
15HR .280ish .750-.800OPS

*sigh*

:pity:

jrice9
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
the guy is negative but rolen hasnt been great lately so its someones opionion

con_artist
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I would be very pleased if he could get an OPS over 800

dirtybird
04-28-2008, 07:11 PM
*sigh*

We'll see when the season is over. My guess is that my predictions have been more accurate than yours so far this season.

dirtybird
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
*sigh*

Sigh indeed...

.254/.349/.749

WillRain
07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
By all means, go ahead and crow in the wake of one terrible month. Glaus had a two home runs on June 1 but I wasn't here crowing about how we won the trade.

And people say I'm the arrogant one.

JAYZFAN9
07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Remarkable prediction dirtybird!

Willrain dont get all pissy because he was right about your favourite player

dirtybird
07-30-2008, 07:23 PM
By all means, go ahead and crow in the wake of one terrible month. Glaus had a two home runs on June 1 but I wasn't here crowing about how we won the trade.

And people say I'm the arrogant one.

It's not a matter of crowing when I'm right. It's the fact that you try to rip anyone who has a differing view from yours even if they present completely logical arguments or expectations. Put it this way, I'm sure that my predictions of the Jays have been far more accurate than yours, but you wouldn't find me saying "sigh" over some prediction.

JAYZFAN9
07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Rolen is the greatest blue jay ever

Ok im kidding

But where did that come from? Ive heard it a few times

WillRain
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
It's not a matter of crowing when I'm right. It's the fact that you try to rip anyone who has a differing view from yours even if they present completely logical arguments or expectations. Put it this way, I'm sure that my predictions of the Jays have been far more accurate than yours, but you wouldn't find me saying "sigh" over some prediction.

if you conside:

*sigh*

To be having been "ripped" it's no wonder you delicate flowers are so up in arms about me disagreeing with you.

Man up my friend.

If I was wrong, so be it, I was wrong. No crying here. But you are hell&gone from having been "ripped" by me over the disagreement.

WillRain
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Rolen is the greatest blue jay ever

Ok im kidding

But where did that come from? Ive heard it a few times

From the "Tao of Stieb" blog I believe...everyone who used it including them did so tongue in cheek.

freightrain
07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
if you conside:

To be having been "ripped" it's no wonder you delicate flowers are so up in arms about me disagreeing with you.

Man up my friend.

If I was wrong, so be it, I was wrong. No crying here. But you are hell&gone from having been "ripped" by me over the disagreement.

I mean, I also have difficulty admitting I was wrong, but this is a novel approach. "If I was wrong, I was wrong, but *insult, condescension, veiled insult*. Very impressive. I'm sending this to urbandictionary to file under "passive-aggressive"

dirtybird
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
if you conside:

Man up my friend.

I'm just using this as an example, but you have the habit of implying that whoever disagrees with you as being an idiot with no knowledge of the game and act like you're the absolute authority on everything. But in reality, you haven't been right enough on most stuff to have earned any of that. Ink and I have brought this point up from time to time.

Even now, your Pettite-like admission is just further proof of that.

WillRain
07-31-2008, 12:57 AM
I mean, I also have difficulty admitting I was wrong, but this is a novel approach. "If I was wrong, I was wrong, but *insult, condescension, veiled insult*. Very impressive. I'm sending this to urbandictionary to file under "passive-aggressive"

Read again:

If I was wrong, I was wrong - followed by > you were not ripped.

No insult there.

The insult is directed towards the claim he was ripped. right up front.

And, by the way, the insult only applies if he's claiming he was ripped, otherwise it's of no consequence.

Why not mind your own business bucky?

It's no more "friendly" of you to psychoanalyze my posts than it is for me to tell him to man up. So maybe you need to sweep around your own door.

WillRain
07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm just using this as an example, but you have the habit of implying that whoever disagrees with you as being an idiot with no knowledge of the game and act like you're the absolute authority on everything. But in reality, you haven't been right enough on most stuff to have earned any of that. Ink and I have brought this point up from time to time.

Even now, your Pettite-like admission is just further proof of that.

Ink and you read into my posts that which you precieve there.

As I have said before. You spend more time analyzing me than you do the Jays.

EVERY direct assertion on here is a presumed claim to know more than the person who holds an oppiisite view. It is the very nature of a declaritive statement.

when you say "JP is not a good GM" or "JP has not drafted well" it is an implicit assertion that you know more than the person who says "JP is a good GM" or "JP has drafted well"

Happens in virtually every post.

So why is it that my declarative statements offend and yours are ok?

Because of the "attitude" you read into them.

In any case, if I argue it more you'll get Big Brother to come beat me up again for you so I'll drop this thread.

As long as you can call the law and the law shares your mistaken opinion, there's not much I can do.

ink
07-31-2008, 01:07 AM
if you conside:

Man up my friend.

Please don't start this again. I'm speaking as a mod. Seriously. "Delicate flowers" is just baiting. It doesn't have anything to do with macho BS and "manning up". And these last few posts have nothing to do with the thread topic. The reason we don't allow baiting on PSD is because it angers people and starts fights. If you have any problem with that, do it through PM's.

WillRain
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Did he or did he not bait me by bumping the old thread where he could say "I told you so SPECIFICALLY to me?

Did he or did he not say I "ripped" him specifiability on that call?

Who baited who here?

All further comments will be via PM...as if it would do me any good.

ink
07-31-2008, 01:12 AM
This thread is about Rolen. Let's get it back on topic.

dirtybird
07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
WillRain, you've missed the purpose of this. The point of this forum is to have a open discussion of this team and to accept differing views of this team without attacking someone's intelligence or their loyalty to their team. Whether you realize this or not, a lot of your replies to others can be seen as sneers and belittling others and that drives people away. Bob_of_York has made this point today and he has been here for ages. But, not to pick on you, you are not the only one that does this, but you post so much that it's easy to notice.

Compared to the Raptors forum, where people have equally diverging opinions, this place is way too personal and does not foster discussion. There are ways to say things, and if I recall correctly, you being a teacher before should know this better than anyone. Part of the problem is that I think that you're convinced that you are always right and whoever who disagrees with you is always wrong. Hopefully being reminded that you are wrong about things at least as often as most of the people here will get you to tone this down, so that everyone can feel free to post their thoughts.

blujaysrock
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Well to get back on topic Rolen has underachieved this year, I'm not sure if his shoulder has bothered him the entire year, but i thought he would hit .280 with 20 HR and 85+ RBI but it looks like we won't have any player with that many home runs.