PDA

View Full Version : Rowand Vs. Jones

giantspwn
04-28-2008, 02:13 AM
I would have to say definitely Rowand, especially since he's been playing injured most of the season...Jones just looks pathetic so far..Before the season started just about everyone on PSD said Rowand was a poor signing and that Jones would dominate...I want to see if any opinions have changed..

METS CP 5
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Rowand

papelbon58
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about Andruw Jones.

My choice: Rowand.

RedHeadsRule
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd rather have neither, but I'd pick Jones over Rowand. If they're both playing at their best, Jones is better.

CAIN=FUTURE
04-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Why wouldnt you want Rowand. Hes batting like .300, and hes a crazy good defender and team leader. Oh and dont forget his toughness.

xander
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Rowand. His contract is about 6 million less, his average is far better as well as his OBP, and even though he lacks the same amount of power, his defense might be just as good. Plus, he's a leader and a gamer.

con_artist
04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Jones

Rowand had one fluke good year, Jones had one fluke bad year, Andruw is better, its not like his power just disappeared into thin air

Gigantes4Life
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Jones

Rowand had one fluke good year, Jones had one fluke bad year, Andruw is better, its not like his power just disappeared into thin air

Have you seen Jones this year? :eyebrow:

con_artist
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Have you seen Jones this year? :eyebrow:

alright, so hes been ****ty so far, he still has had a far better career than rowand

Gigantes4Life
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
The question isn't about their careers. It's about NOW.

nme
04-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Typical Giant fan bull**** here.

xander
04-29-2008, 12:36 AM

Give me one good reason why you would rather have Jones and I'll listen.

Jilly Bohnson
04-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Is Jones minus 20 pounds an option? If not I'll begrudgingly take Rowand.

Gigantes4Life
04-29-2008, 12:57 AM

Andruw Jones OPS+: 88, 38 :laugh:

Aaron Rowand: 123, 107

Those are for 2007 and 2008.

Andruw Jones Rate2: 106 and 91 (97 in 2006)

Rowand: 103 and 107 (104, 107, 100 before, very consistent)

Yeah, I'll take Rowand.

nyyfan4life
04-29-2008, 02:03 AM
I'd take Melky Cabrera over both of them so far...:)

giantspwn
04-29-2008, 04:12 AM

LOL, typical ***** dodger fan.

This thread wasn't created to sarcasticlly show that Jones sucks..The season is still early, although Rowand has significantly out preformed Andruw so far, some still believe that can easily change...No need to cry Dodger fans;)

Although, Jones does look like he's catching up to Benji Molina's weight, he must have had one to many dodger dogs :)

Tragedy
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Okay, so, I took Andruw Jones - But hear me out first of all.

Andruw Jones has clearly had the better track record. He's proven that he's a fantastic defender and has some serious pop in his bat. Nowadays, he can barely find either of those. So, in that regard, Aaron Rowand, without question, is the better player RIGHT NOW and probably going forward.

But then I factor in the contract situation. The Giants must deal with that contract for the next 4 years, and I believe, offensively, after this year, he'll likely only bring "medicore" production. Andruw Jones is of the burden of the Dodgers for just ONE more season, and after that, he's cut loose. Yes, his annual pay is higher, but that money comes off the book far quicker than Aaron's.

nme
04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Here's the thing-- how could I, or anyone, make a truly valid case for Andruw Jones so far this season? It is absolutely impossible to defend the guy's (lack of) production so far this year. You know this, so, why not make a thread to compare him to a less than brilliant Giant signing in Rowand to prove some point defending either Brian Sabean, or maybe your team pride, I don't know.

This thread is ******** because the only single conclusion that can be had is that Jones is having an awful year. Yeah, I know, I get it. I watch the guy every day. So go ahead, point it out, feel a little better about yourself. This entire Comparison board seems to be devoted to comparing Giants to anyone else (usually Lincecum and Cain to someone else). Just from looking at how impressed you guys are with some of your young pitching, I almost for got that you have one of the oldest rosters in baseball and are now paying a guy $126 mil to come out of the pen, which it is still questionable whether or not he will be able to do.

So go ahead: laud Cain and Lincecum. **** it. There are no two better young pitchers in baseball. And enjoy Aaron Rowand. You're right, the guy is definently a .300/25HR/105RBI kind of guy, and I'll be damned if he doesn't have some great heart. But, and it will happen, when you realize that you're not going to be able to pony up to keep Cain and Lincecum around come aribitration/FA time in a few years because of the money invested in Rowand and Zito, let's revisit the Andruw Jones, two year, low risk signing.

giantspwn
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's the thing-- how could I, or anyone, make a truly valid case for Andruw Jones so far this season? It is absolutely impossible to defend the guy's (lack of) production so far this year. You know this, so, why not make a thread to compare him to a less than brilliant Giant signing in Rowand to prove some point defending either Brian Sabean, or maybe your team pride, I don't know.

This thread is ******** because the only single conclusion that can be had is that Jones is having an awful year. Yeah, I know, I get it. I watch the guy every day. So go ahead, point it out, feel a little better about yourself. This entire Comparison board seems to be devoted to comparing Giants to anyone else (usually Lincecum and Cain to someone else). Just from looking at how impressed you guys are with some of your young pitching, I almost for got that you have one of the oldest rosters in baseball and are now paying a guy $126 mil to come out of the pen, which it is still questionable whether or not he will be able to do.

So go ahead: laud Cain and Lincecum. **** it. There are no two better young pitchers in baseball. And enjoy Aaron Rowand. You're right, the guy is definently a .300/25HR/105RBI kind of guy, and I'll be damned if he doesn't have some great heart. But, and it will happen, when you realize that you're not going to be able to pony up to keep Cain and Lincecum around come aribitration/FA time in a few years because of the money invested in Rowand and Zito, let's revisit the Andruw Jones, two year, low risk signing.

HAHAHAHA you seem to be taking this personal...Well in that case I think it's hypocritical, especially for a dodger fan to be talking about bad signings(Zito) for SP when you guys have done the same thing with (Schmidt, Brown, Dreifort, Tomko, etc.)

And actually I think the giants have a younger team than the dodgers last I checked, average age on our team is 27...

LOL, their is also no reason to say that Cain, Lincecum will leave, both have always been very happy in SF where they were brought up...They are under contract for 3-5 more years anyway...The giants have a much brighter SP future than the dodgers or most other teams...(Cain, Lincecum, Sanchez, Lowry, Alderson, Sosa, Bumgarner) All have great potential...And with the 2009 FA market, the giants will have a good amount of money to make a splash to being a contender soon with a dominant young pitching staff, and some young kids coming up...

CAIN=FUTURE
04-29-2008, 08:32 PM

The Giants have Cain locked up until 2010, and they have a team option form 2011. And I think they will give him a much bigger one at the end of the year, once Barry Bonds and other old players get paid off, Same with Lincecum.

giantspwn
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
The Giants have Cain locked up until 2010, and they have a team option form 2011. And I think they will give him a much bigger one at the end of the year, once Barry Bonds and other old players get paid off, Same with Lincecum.

Exaclty, people making that assumption are stupid...No one can predict what a player will do in 5 years..Most pitchers like Hernandez, Hamels, Billingsley,Cain, Lincecum, Kershaw etc... will be locked up for 5-6 years before their contract is even close to being up...

Tragedy
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
LOL, their is also no reason to say that Cain, Lincecum will leave, both have always been very happy in SF where they were brought up...They are under contract for 3-5 more years anyway...The giants have a much brighter SP future than the dodgers or most other teams...(Cain, Lincecum, Sanchez, Lowry, Alderson, Sosa, Bumgarner) All have great potential...And with the 2009 FA market, the giants will have a good amount of money to make a splash to being a contender soon with a dominant young pitching staff, and some young kids coming up...
Just two things.

1) The Giants need a hell of a lot of work offensively. Just take a peak at C, 1B, SS, 3B, LF, CF. So, even if they have some money to spend in the offseason, they're still going to need to continue replacing the old with the young. They should have wheeled barrels of money at A-Rod last year.

and 2) It's not like the Dodgers don't have Kershaw/Billingsley. So, lets not get ahead of ourselves when talking about future quality pitchers.

IndiansFan337
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I would have to say definitely Rowand, especially since he's been playing injured most of the season...Jones just looks pathetic so far..Before the season started just about everyone on PSD said Rowand was a poor signing and that Jones would dominate...I want to see if any opinions have changed..

There are also a lot of Dodgers fans on PSD, many of which were trying to be optimistic.

Jones may be done. He looks pathetic, at this point. I'm not sure if he will ever get more than a 1 year contract again, even though he's only 32? He just can't hit the ball anymore.

Malone for Pres
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
HAHAHAHA you seem to be taking this personal...Well in that case I think it's hypocritical, especially for a dodger fan to be talking about bad signings(Zito) for SP when you guys have done the same thing with (Schmidt, Brown, Dreifort, Tomko, etc.)

And actually I think the giants have a younger team than the dodgers last I checked, average age on our team is 27...

HA! You obviously have no idea what the FA class of this offseason looks like, do you? Here, allow me to enlighten you.

2009 MLB FA list (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html)

That is a very thin offensive class. Count on Furcal getting resigned by the Dodgers. Teixeira is about the only other legit offensive power on that list, and you guys will be outbid if you go there. If you want though, feel free to pick up Dunn at the ~ 4-5 year, $80m.+ contract he'll undoubtedly garner in a weak FA class. In fact, please do that. I would love seeing Kershaw and Bills strikeout Rowand and Dunn in the heart of your order for the next 4 years.

For the record, i didn't vote in this poll. It is a ****ing ******** poll. You're looking at a player in Jones that is in a season (plus) long slump and has been awful during that stretch. Whether or not this slump will play out through the end of his career (near term), has yet to be seen. I'm personally hoping it doesn't, though.

But, if you want to avoid beating around the bush and ask the question you really mean, "Jones or Rowand, who was the better signing?" the answer is still the same: Jones. We got a low risk-high reward signing in that there's only two years there but there's hell of a lot of potential. You guys went the other way on a low reward-high risk contract, overpaying a guy over the course of 5 years who will give you mediocre to solid (at best) offensive production with solid defense. And while he's not looking half bad offensively right now, you're 25 games in to a 5 year contract. Have fun watching those numbers go down.

WayneBrady
04-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Aaron Rowand. Druw was really a waste of money and also taking up the other outfielders starting spots (Either/Kemp and Young)

viktor06
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
they are both terrible signings price wise....i guess id take andruw because he is more proven, he will probably bounce back and if not, he's signed for 2 years only

cynomatic
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Andrew Jones by a hair

cuttygiantsfan
07-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Jones

umm ya it has

Ragun
07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Rowand...im assuming Andruw Jones?

sanfranfan1210
07-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Rowand