PDA

View Full Version : What team has had the most bad luck over the past decade?

JordansBulls
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
What team has had the most bad luck over the past decade?

ink
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Gotta be Phoenix. Losing Stat for a year, and then having the Donaghy scandal kill them last year.

DerekRE_3
04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Don't forget the Kings. The Webber injury absolutely killed us. And then there was the officiating in Game 6, and Game 7 of the 2002 WCF. Arco Arena was apparently built on an old Indian Burial Ground, so we are cursed forever. Another team with bad luck is the Pacers. The big brawl, Ron Artest going crazy, Jermaine O'Neal's knee injury. Jonathon Bender being a bust because of knee injuries.

Little off topic but...player with worst luck, Grant Hill. The guy almost died and has had tons of surgeries.

Epic89
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Indiana

JordansBulls
04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
To me it has to be Indiana as well. They played the Bulls in 1998 in the ECF and gave them a run for their money, then they were upset by the 8th seeded Knicks in 1999. In 2000 they ran into the Lakers in the finals. They had some decent teams until 2004 where they were real good going 61-21 but they lost to the Pistons that season. The next year was the year I felt they would win it all but then some guy throw a cup of beer and the franchise hasn't been the same since.

prash
04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Houston.

lakers4sho
04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Clippers? Failed first-round picks, injuries all season, anything else good about their team?

lavis
04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Don't forget the Kings. The Webber injury absolutely killed us.

I don't know man.. What I remember the Kings were very, very good without Webber. But I trust you know Kings better. I just remember people saying maybe Webber shouldn't start so it wouldn't mess up what they built there without him.

I think Bulls have been having some bad luck. Though they at least had some control over it. They had very bad luck with the big man trades and signings that they made. At some point they had a hold on Elton Brand, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry (yeah he sucks). Then they overpaid aging Big Ben.. Now they have no one.

lavis
04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Houston.

How exactly is it bad luck landing Yao Ming against all odds in the lottery?

JJ_JKidd
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Hard to tell. Whats the timeframe by the way like since 1998?

#1Mavericksfan
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
The knicks to me, I don't know why they keep trading there draft picks away for some reason and they haven't had the #1 pick in a long time.

The Hatman
04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
The knicks to me, I don't know why they keep trading there draft picks away for some reason and they haven't had the #1 pick in a long time.

I know huh thats gonna change this year with a new president on the ny knicks FO

DerekRE_3
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't know man.. What I remember the Kings were very, very good without Webber. But I trust you know Kings better. I just remember people saying maybe Webber shouldn't start so it wouldn't mess up what they built there without him.

I think Bulls have been having some bad luck. Though they at least had some control over it. They had very bad luck with the big man trades and signings that they made. At some point they had a hold on Elton Brand, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry (yeah he sucks). Then they overpaid aging Big Ben.. Now they have no one.

The season after he got hurt the Kings had a very good record, you are right they were playing amazing. But I think that had to do with how amazing of a coach Rick Adelman is, to keep the team going without their best player. And we didn't have Brad Miller (all star) in 2002 when we got to the WCF. If we had had a healthy Webber the whole season they would have been even better. The chemistry got messed up when he returned from injury for sure.

But I think the team with the worst luck is the Pacers. Looked like they could have had a dynasty, but then it all fell apart.

And yeah the Clips have had some bad drafts/decisions in the past.

Very good thread idea by the way, props to JordansBulls.

NYstateofMinD
04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I think the Kings and Pacers are the obvious choices, and fun fact is that Ron Artest has played for both teams. =)

Anyway no one seems to mention the Knicks. In the past 10 ten years they had lots of bad luck. The year they went to the finals, Patrick Ewing was injured. The next year Patrick was injured in 2 games against the Pacers. Then they had injury problems with Larry Johnson. Then the injuries with Allan Houston, Marcus Camby(before the trade), and Antonio McDyess. Then they had the Sprewell trade with Tim Thomas that never worked out. Micheal Sweetney being a bust and everyone else after. The whole Larry Brown period, Don Cheaney. I can go on and on, but the thing that beats all this is SIGNING ISIAH THOMAS.

josephb
04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I would have to say the kings. They did a painstakingly good job at building a dynasty and there team was filled with great young stars but they just couldnt win an NBA Championsip.

BlondeBomber41
04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Bad luck isnt the same thing as stupid decisions. Bad free agent signings, trading for players who had past injury problems and then them continuing to be injury prone, and bad trades is not bad luck. So the Knicks are not on this list at all.

Same with the Bulls. It was stupidity that made them trade Elton Brand, and then Tyson Chandler.

JerG
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Pacers or Clippers.

dikimbemutumbo
04-08-2008, 12:05 AM
the bulls. I mean, all them got dang championships weighed down our draft picks, and over those years, we got NOTHING. CURSE YOU CHAMPIONSHIPS! (if you couldnt tell yet im joking) ;)

FromDallas
04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
What about the Hawks? I think I have heard more about the Bobcats than I have about the Hawks for the last several years.

L@ B@113R
04-08-2008, 12:28 AM
kings or the knicks have probably had the most bad luck

IndiansFan337
04-08-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm going to go with the Pacers. I still think they would have won the Finals if The Brawl never took place. They were never the same team after that mess of a situation.

bostncelts34
04-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Draft wise, celtics have got shafted in the loterry, missing out on duncan in the 90's, oden last year, and green busted big time. But overall, Bulls an d knicks come to mind. and clippers.

arlubas
04-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Clippers? Failed first-round picks, injuries all season, anything else good about their team?

I was just about to say that. At least the other teams mentioned did go somewhere in the POs whereas for the Clippers it would probably mean another year in the lottery except the 05-06 season when everything magically came into place. After that though it was the same old Clippers luck...:mad:

hyp21
04-08-2008, 01:42 AM
the hawks. trading aging stars and got nada in return, haven't smelled the playoffs in almost ten years. Boneheaded coaches, GM's, owners, everything and passed up CHRIS PAUL, PAU GASOL, DERON WILLIAMS, and too many other to sit down and think of to consider what we COULD have had. Hawks. Hawks. Hands down, dumb freaking HAWKS

Tom81
04-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Pacers,Suns

Second City
04-08-2008, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't say the Bulls that the worst luck, but we didn't have the best. I mean with losing Brand due to trade and Jay Williams due to accident and then the whole Ben Wallace scandal...

abe_froman
04-08-2008, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't say the Bulls that the worst luck, but we didn't have the best. I mean with losing Brand due to trade and Jay Williams due to accident and then the whole Ben Wallace scandal...

exactly

innovator
04-08-2008, 03:06 AM
the kings didnt have badluck the lakers were just better than them in the 2000-20002 seasons

i would have to say pacers or knicks

lavis
04-08-2008, 03:55 AM
What about the Hawks? I think I have heard more about the Bobcats than I have about the Hawks for the last several years.

The Hawks just haven't committed to winning. They sign a free agent every now and then but build nothing around them. Then they let them go and the same thing happens all over again.

TheFuture6
04-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Draft Busts:

1997 - 1st round - 5th overall - Tony Battie
1998 - 1st round - 3rd overall - Raef LaFrentz
2002 - 1st round - 5th overall - Nikoloz Tskitishvili

Antonio McDyess's knees
Kenyon Martin's knees
Nene's everything
Nick Van Exel in general
George Karl.

We may not have had the worst luck... but we've had our fair share. :pity:

JordansBulls
04-08-2008, 07:57 AM

Ben Wallace scandal?
:confused:

Second City
04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Ben Wallace scandal?
:confused:

Sorry tried to add in a little dramatic effect there. ;)

Havoc Wreaker
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I dunno if anyone mentioned THE KNICKS

vjonesphila@ver
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

I agree 1000 %

Joshtd1
04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Spurs could have had a chance to win rings in 03-04, and 05-06, but bad luck prevented that :sigh:

ink
04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

I don't understand why people are saying the Knicks. It's not bad luck that Isiah was hired. It was bad judgment.

LakersHistory
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Portland

Iodine
04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Clippers and Pacers

DerekRE_3
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM

The Knicks have just been ********. Giving big contracts to Jerome James and Jared Jeffries...just stupid. I have no sympathy for that team.

arlubas
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
The Knicks have just been ********. Giving big contracts to Jerome James and Jared Jeffries...just stupid. I have no sympathy for that team.

Haha word! I am a Knicks fan for years now but with all the crap and stupidity going around lately in their FO they have managed to make me passive towards a team I supported for 15 years now. Good job guys! :clap:

PHX-SOXFAN
04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
the kings didnt have badluck the lakers were just better than them in the 2000-20002 seasons

i would have to say pacers or knicks

you may need to be refreshed on the 4th quarter of game 6 wcf, probably the worst officiated quarter in the history of basketball, (or conspiracy confirmed to get game 7 in LA).

The lakers were not better in that series. The lakers plus the refs were better than the kings.

LA_cabals
04-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Chicago Bulls.

For a big market team, it seems that they've been rebuilding since Jordan retired in '99, when it should of only taken them 3 years max.

MassoDio
04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Chicago Bulls.

For a big market team, it seems that they've been rebuilding since Jordan retired in '99, when it should of only taken them 3 years max.

Completely agree with this.

ink
04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Chicago Bulls.

Completely agree with this.

Again, it isn't luck. In this case it was Jerry Krause. He alienated MJ, hired Tim Floyd (a buddy) to coach the post Jordan Bulls and basically screwed up the franchise.

Take this quiz about the Post Jordan years - http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/The-Post-Jordan-Era-112351.html

On the website: "Dedicated to Jerry Krause: the man who made this quiz possible."

LA_cabals
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Again, it isn't luck. In this case it was Jerry Krause. He alienated MJ, hired Tim Floyd (a buddy) to coach the post Jordan Bulls and basically screwed up the franchise.

Take this quiz about the Post Jordan years - http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/The-Post-Jordan-Era-112351.html

On the website: "Dedicated to Jerry Krause: the man who made this quiz possible."

It very well may have been Jerry Krause, but it IS bad luck. As an owner of a multi-million dollar business (Bulls) he made decisions that he thought were best for the team, but was UNLUCKY or ran into BAD LUCK and subsequently the team suffered.

(BTW: I got 7 out of 10 on that quiz)

ink
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
It very well may have been Jerry Krause, but it IS bad luck. As an owner of a multi-million dollar business (Bulls) he made decisions that he thought were best for the team, but was UNLUCKY or ran into BAD LUCK and subsequently the team suffered.

No, he drove the franchise's (or the league's) best player ever away. How can that be about luck?? Incompetence and luck are completely different things. Same with Isiah.

MassoDio
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
It is bad luck when you get the 7th pick when four of the top six are Lebron, DWade, Carmelo, Bosh. It's bad luck when you get the second pick when the first pick is Yao. It's bad luck that when you have high picks in other years, they happen to be bad draft years. Yes Krause screwed the pooch. But there has been an aweful lot of bad luck that went in to the last decade since the Bulls won their last championship. With any franchise situation, there is bad luck, and bad management. Even the Spurs who have won 4 championships have had some bad luck, and bad management moves. The Bulls while having more than their fair share of idiotic moves by their FO, have had an aweful lot of bad luck as well.

ink
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
It is bad luck when you get the 7th pic when four of the top six are Lebron, DWade, Carmelo, Bosh. It's bad luck when you get the second pick when the first pick is Yao. It's bad luck that when you have high picks in other years, they happen to be bad draft years. Yes Krause screwed the pooch. But there has been an aweful lot of bad luck that went in to the last decade since the Bulls won their last championship. With any franchise situation, there is bad luck, and bad management. Even the Spurs who have won 4 championships have had some bad luck, and bad management moves. The Bulls while having more than their fair share of idiotic moves by their FO, have had an aweful lot of bad luck as well.

I don't know. I don't really call that bad luck. If so, a lot of other teams qualify for the bad luck excuse. Krause stayed on until 2003 and whoever allowed that was incompetent. Paxson has replaced him and done fairly well, but I doubt he has many fans left in Chicago. I just don't see the bad luck. 23 other teams missed out on the 2003 talent harvest too. Take the quiz for a laugh. You won't be able to answer many of the questions, because they're all about behind-the-scenes failures ... the kind of memories people like to repress. :)

LA_cabals
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
No, he drove the franchise's (or the league's) best player ever away. How can that be about luck?? Incompetence and luck are completely different things. Same with Isiah.

IMO, the argument can go either way. I see it as luck, while you see it as incompetence. Agree to disagree...:shrug:

I still say the Bulls have had bad luck since Jordan retired in '99. Chicago is a big city market and they shouldn't be in rebuilding mode for the past 9 years.

MassoDio
04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know. I don't really call that bad luck. If so, a lot of other teams qualify for the bad luck excuse. Krause stayed on until 2003 and whoever allowed that was incompetent. Paxson has replaced him and done fairly well, but I doubt he has many fans left in Chicago. I just don't see the bad luck. 23 other teams missed out on the 2003 talent harvest too. Take the quiz for a laugh. You won't be able to answer many of the questions, because they're all about behind-the-scenes failures ... the kind of memories people like to repress. :)

I'll have to take it when I get home. Work network won't allow it.
I agree with the fact that Krause just really got big headed, and full of himself at the end. But when you are in the lottery every year for about 8 years, and you never get the top pick, even when you have the best odds at least three of those years, that's pretty bad luck. It's all in how you look at it I guess. I do see your point. And I agree with it for the most part. I just feal that there is a lot of luck that went in there as well.

ink
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
IMO, the argument can go either way. I see it as luck, while you see it as incompetence.

Agree to disagree...:shrug:

Sure.

My idea of bad luck is a freak accident or something completely unforseen happening. The Bulls knew Michael was going to retire. In fact he already did, then came back. They just had a huge hole to dig themselves out of. Why would we expect the Bulls dynasty to continue after Jordan left?

ink
04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I'll have to take it when I get home. Work network won't allow it.
I agree with the fact that Krause just really got big headed, and full of himself at the end. But when you are in the lottery every year for about 8 years, and you never get the top pick, even when you have the best odds at least three of those years, that's pretty bad luck. It's all in how you look at it I guess. I do see your point. And I agree with it for the most part. I just feal that there is a lot of luck that went in there as well.

I see what you mean. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that you make your own luck. Krause created his own bad karma ...

YaoMinggg
08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Rockets because of injuries.

Sixerlover
08-17-2008, 02:14 AM
It is bad luck when you get the 7th pick when four of the top six are Lebron, DWade, Carmelo, Bosh. It's bad luck when you get the second pick when the first pick is Yao. It's bad luck that when you have high picks in other years, they happen to be bad draft years.

Well when can you draw the line between luck and GM skills? I mean Caron Butler + Amare did go after Jay Williams. Andre Iguodala + Al Jefferson did go after Ben Gordon. Jason Richardson + Joe Johnson + Richard Jefferson did go after Eddy Curry. You can even say David West went after Kirk in '03 (even though I don't blame them for that one).

There was some talent that went past the Bulls those years.

heyman321
08-17-2008, 02:56 AM
I'd say every team that ran into Michael Jordan haha, but I guess that's past this decade.

I would say the Suns. In all honesty, they probably would have won the title in 04-05, 06-07, and this past year possibly. In 05 Joe Johnson broke his nose against the dirty Spurs at a time amare was averaging like almost 40 points. In 06-07, they were screwed by Cheap Shot Rob and for 07-08, Tim Duncan's fluke 3 just changed the course of the series IMO. Alos, well, it was just bad luck for the Suns that Colangelo left and that Steve Kerr was hired (hahahhahahah), good for the Raptors though.

JordansBulls
08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I'd say every team that ran into Michael Jordan haha, but I guess that's past this decade.

I would say the Suns. In all honesty, they probably would have won the title in 04-05, 06-07, and this past year possibly. In 05 Joe Johnson broke his nose against the dirty Spurs at a time amare was averaging like almost 40 points. In 06-07, they were screwed by Cheap Shot Rob and for 07-08, Tim Duncan's fluke 3 just changed the course of the series IMO. Alos, well, it was just bad luck for the Suns that Colangelo left and that Steve Kerr was hired (hahahhahahah), good for the Raptors though.

I think of bad luck as a team that always had something that happened to them. Sort of like injuries happening.

rapswin98
08-18-2008, 01:50 AM
dallas

BarryIsInnocent
08-18-2008, 02:10 AM
How bout the warriors. lost the yao sweepstakes even though they had the most balls. Star Player choaked the coach and basically made them trade him. Trading Vince Carter for Antwan Jamison.
Drafting Todd Fuller, Joe Smith, and Greg Foster over the likes of Kobe and Garnett.

Jay22Redd
08-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Houston:

They could have been dangerous if they stayed healthy.

snickers
08-18-2008, 06:21 AM
i would have to say hornets they traded away kobe bryant for divac but i dont mind it good trade hornets

Knicks845
08-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Knicks, are draft picks pre O8 were busts, we traded away aging at the time defensive big men that adverge 3.5 blocks for another team, earliar than that we made it to the play-offs and someone key got injured (P.Ewing) and we had isiah thomas as head coach who, brought fans to the stadium, just to cut *** "Firrrrrre Isssssiah" and the whole Larry Brown thing, is soooo ***^ed up, its Crzzzy.