PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Quentin: A Sleeper for the Sox???

RYanD03
04-07-2008, 04:26 AM
I don't know, but what I've seen from Carlos Quentin has been amazing. There's no doubt in my mind that he's going to continue to be the starting left fielder for us, and I'm seeing him being one of our top players. I know it's early but he's already got 7 RBI's within four games, not to mention that cannon of an arm he has that I recently found out about when he threw out Renteria on that fly ball... I hope he continues this and becomes the 30 HR/ 100 RBI calliber type player he was supposed to be after getting drafted.. Maybe it's just me but as long as he doesn't get injured he should be great for us. What do you all think???

JDIsMyGod23
04-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Quentin's a stud, Owens sucks. Case Closed.

whitesoxbowler
04-07-2008, 06:00 AM
As the case with most players, health is the issue. It's looks like he is fully healed and if he stays that way, it will be awfully hard to sit him.

DaSox_05
04-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Quentin is DaMan, I think im going to go to grandstand and get me a Quentin jersey...!!!

parttimepariah
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
yessssssssss, quite the pleasant surprise. jerry owens who?

GrinderBall41
04-07-2008, 08:46 AM
This guy was very highly touted in AZ, and KW really made a point to get him this offseason, so i figured he would be good down the road at least. Never thought he would be driving in this many runs this early. I love Owens, but Carlos "Eric Estrada" Quentin is killin right now.

If Carlos keeps this up, or even if he cools a little, it effectively extends our "heart of the order" from 3 to 7. If Fields was in there instead of Crede, our heart of the order would go all the way to 8. And thats dangerous.

For offensive reasons, it would help to replace Uribe. But he's been great at 2B. With OC and Juanny in the Mid-Inf, and Swisher surprising people with his glove in CF, it gives us that "Strong up the middle" defense that really gives a boost to the pitchers.

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Quentin's just potential, look at what Owens did in September, Owens needs to play:rolleyes:

Knuckleball Rob
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
So far he has peformed beyond my expectations. I thought his injury would have more impact on his play, but...... so far so good. It definitely makes a case for him to keep on in LF. AND I LIKE OWENS, but it is what it is. Owens will get his chance to rehab in the minors and if he finds the groove we'll see where our situation stands at that time.

EH4L
04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
This guy was very highly touted in AZ, and KW really made a point to get him this offseason, so i figured he would be good down the road at least. Never thought he would be driving in this many runs this early. I love Owens, but Carlos "Eric Estrada" Quentin is killin right now.

If Carlos keeps this up, or even if he cools a little, it effectively extends our "heart of the order" from 3 to 7. If Fields was in there instead of Crede, our heart of the order would go all the way to 8. And thats dangerous.

For offensive reasons, it would help to replace Uribe. But he's been great at 2B. With OC and Juanny in the Mid-Inf, and Swisher surprising people with his glove in CF, it gives us that "Strong up the middle" defense that really gives a boost to the pitchers.

Everything you said is right, except the part where Crede isn't in the lineup. :mad: He's proven himself already, he had 4 hits yetserday, and his defense has been top notch, cept the time he tried to throw side arm, but it didn't cost him anything. Can happen to anyone. Just like it happened to Quentin. :p

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Everything you said is right, except the part where Crede isn't in the lineup. :mad: He's proven himself already, he had 4 hits yetserday, and his defense has been top notch, cept the time he tried to throw side arm, but it didn't cost him anything. Can happen to anyone. Just like it happened to Quentin. :p
Defense top notch?

2 E's yesterday

And Crede needs to be dealt VERY soon before he hits the inevitable cold streak

EH4L
04-07-2008, 10:31 AM
...or before he starts to warm up his bat again?

RockTheCell
04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Everything you said is right, except the part where Crede isn't in the lineup. :mad: He's proven himself already, he had 4 hits yetserday, and his defense has been top notch

4 hits:
slow roller up the middle
infield hit to deep short
another slow roller that somehow got between 1st and 2nd
duck snort that barely got over the 2nd basemans head

Yep. He's tearing the cover off the ball. That was the most misleading 4 for 5 I've ever seen.

GrinderBall41
04-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Yeah those errors were flukes, but those hits were flukes too. 3 on the ground, and we know Joe's not trying to hit the ball on the ground, he's a flyball hitter. And wasn't the fourth a duck-snort? I'm not trying to bash him I love him as much as anybody, if not more. But Fields could be an elite slugger, whereas Joe cannot. DONT say Silver Slugger because we all know that's BS.

To me, potentially, it breaks down like this...

Fields: 40 hr. guy, with slightly above average defense, good OPS.
Crede: 20 hr. guy, with great defense, horrible OBP, below average SLG for a 3B.

SouthSideIrish
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Defense top notch?

2 E's yesterday

And Crede needs to be dealt VERY soon before he hits the inevitable cold streak

Once again all stats no reality. Yes the two errors sucked. But he also ended an inning with a great grab and turn for a double play with the game tied and Detroit poised to make a serious threat. His errors (which don't come often) cost the Sox one run, while his play def saved two runs, and likely more.

Reality bites, but that's fine, I'll be happy to see stat after stat proving why he's no good.

SouthSideIrish
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah those errors were flukes, but those hits were flukes too. 3 on the ground, and we know Joe's not trying to hit the ball on the ground, he's a flyball hitter. And wasn't the fourth a duck-snort? I'm not trying to bash him I love him as much as anybody, if not more. But Fields could be an elite slugger, whereas Joe cannot. DONT say Silver Slugger because we all know that's BS.

Crede: 20 hr. guy, with great defense, horrible OBP, below average SLG for a 3B.

That's not true. In 2006 when he finally began hitting what was expected of him, he saved alot of at bats by hitting the ball the other way and on the ground. It was a conscious decision he made and decided to work on with Walker. It worked and you could see that he began firing low outside pitches the other way.

4 hits is 4 hits, it doesn't matter what their quality is, especially if those 4 hits are with men on base. That's really important. It keeps the line moving, advances runners, and keeps pressure on the pitcher.

He's not great, but he's a good baseball player that helps the team win games with his bat and his glove.

There is more to the game than just OPS. But that's a losing argument on this site, so go ahead and show me how potentially Fields is already a hall of famer and Crede is just awful. I'm just a goofy no-nothing homer.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
quentins a nice surprise... im pretty sure that owens is gonna be in the bigs after some rehab time in AAA. so its down to anderson or ramirez being sent down. both haven't hit well, but alexi has the advantage being able to play a multitude of positions.

1-800-STFU
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Once again all stats no reality. Yes the two errors sucked. But he also ended an inning with a great grab and turn for a double play with the game tied and Detroit poised to make a serious threat. His errors (which don't come often) cost the Sox one run, while his play def saved two runs, and likely more.

Reality bites, but that's fine, I'll be happy to see stat after stat proving why he's no good.

I would do that...but you know, stats don't matter :rolleyes:

zzConflict
04-07-2008, 11:34 AM
both haven't hit well.
Anderson's had 2 AB's, you can't possibly make that assesment off of 2 at bats.

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
There is more to the game than just OPS. But that's a losing argument on this site, so go ahead and show me how potentially Fields is already a hall of famer and Crede is just awful. I'm just a goofy no-nothing homer.
The point of the sport is to score runs and prevent the other team from scoring runs, correct?

One of the best correlations to runs is OPS
There is certainly more to the game, but to ignore it because it proves your mancrush is misplaced isn't a good way to go

DrewSox
04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
If Anderson plays well, Ozzie will have a hard time sending him down. He doesnt want that! I think he would rather him sit on the bench until owens is ready.

1-800-STFU
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
For Crede and OPS....

I could go pull out random stats I know nothing about like ISOPatience and such but I like to go with stuff I know about....

Ill probably figure all those out during the summer when I have free time,'

So for me....OBP and OPS are the best ways I KNOW of so far.....

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
For Crede and OPS....

I could go pull out random stats I know nothing about like ISOPatience and such but I like to go with stuff I know about....

Ill probably figure all those out during the summer when I have free time,'

So for me....OBP and OPS are the best ways I KNOW of so far.....
I think you're thinking of IsOP
Isolated power (SLG-AVG), some guys like Ichiro have even less power than we think because their average pushes their SLG up

But the AVG-OBP differential is another good one

SouthSideIrish
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
The point of the sport is to score runs and prevent the other team from scoring runs, correct?

One of the best correlations to runs is OPS
There is certainly more to the game, but to ignore it because it proves your mancrush is misplaced isn't a good way to go

Nah, the point of the game is to win. That's the more important thing. And the stat that most correlates to that is the bill james win share stat, since that's the point of it.

Crede's glove brings wins to a team. His bat helps. Altogether this makes him one of the better third basemen in the game. Will Fields bat and glove combine for greater win shares? Not right now they don't. But keep slurping your one stat and thinking you're right based on that. I'll do the same.

And nice burn with mancrush, super-original. Isn't that baiting or flaming or whatever lames like you call poor nettiquite? Maybe I should run off to the moderator and tell like the real man I am. Funny thing is that I don't have close to a mancrush on Crede. I just think he helps this team win baseball games right now more than Fields would.

1-800-STFU
04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I think you're thinking of IsOP
Isolated power (SLG-AVG), some guys like Ichiro have even less power than we think because their average pushes their SLG up

But the AVG-OBP differential is another good one

Yeah, the one I was thinking of was OBP minus BA....thats is just to show walks taken, I am guessing, duno if anything else is behind it.

1-800-STFU
04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Nah, the point of the game is to win. That's the more important thing. And the stat that most correlates to that is the bill james win share stat, since that's the point of it.

Crede's glove brings wins to a team. His bat helps. Altogether this makes him one of the better third basemen in the game. Will Fields bat and glove combine for greater win shares? Not right now they don't. But keep slurping your one stat and thinking you're right based on that. I'll do the same.

And nice burn with mancrush, super-original. Isn't that baiting or flaming or whatever lames like you call poor nettiquite? Maybe I should run off to the moderator and tell like the real man I am. Funny thing is that I don't have close to a mancrush on Crede. I just think he helps this team win baseball games right now more than Fields would.

I guess we should just disregard Crede's terrible hitting numbers....

I guess we should get rid of O-Cab and bring in John Macdonald sense hitting doesn't matter.

whitesoxfan83
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
god you have to be kidding me

every damn thread is about crede and fields

WHO GIVES A ****!

its over!

crede is our 3rd basemen, that sucks IMO.

BUT hes done good enough thus far, its not like hes hitless and ****ing the team.

and fields isnt exactly tearing it up in AAA

i think its bull**** fields isnt playing at 3rd BUT!!!

THERES NO NEED for all these arguments when at the moment crede is doing fine and it isnt going to change, ***** all you want, crede wont be sent down tomorrow next week or next month, if we keep winning he wont be sent down period if we make the playoffs ill bet hes resigned!

EVERYONE ARGUING FOR CREDE: SERIOUSLY you sound like old dumb ****s who sit around living in the past your only argument for crede is: ball player! 05! clutch! defense! silver slugger! (he didnt deserve, BUT WHATEVER!)

god damn back your **** up half of that isnt even completly true or revelant!

AS FOR YOU PEOPLE ARUGING FOR FIELDS!

until he starts to hit a HR every AB in AAA and Crede starts to completly blow here in the MLB just be quite. fine fields did great last year, hes not here for some reason. stop *****ing about it, it does nothing, fields will be here at the absolute latest in 09, aslong as we keep winning crede will stay in the lineup.

serioulsy can we talk about something else?

maybe carlos quentin?

RWB was raving about him all winter and now hes done pretty well, it will be crazy to watch him hit in our park.

we just swept the tigers, we should have taken 2/3 from the indians

were in first in the CENTRAL!

and now were at home against a team that always sneaks up on us. i feel like this is a trap series and were going to lose 2/3 from the twins because we all high on ourselves.

thers more to talk about than this useless debate that never goes anywhere.

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM

:D

Crede's '06 Win Shares: 20.2
Fields '07 Win Shares: 12.3
Fields '07 Win Shares when adjusted for similar playing time-since you do know that WS's aren't rate stats: 18.5

So Crede's absolute best year is barely better than Fields rookie year

Sox_13
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
:D

Crede's '06 Win Shares: 20.2
Fields '07 Win Shares: 12.3
Fields '07 Win Shares when adjusted for similar playing time-since you do know that WS's aren't rate stats: 18.5

So Crede's absolute best year is barely better than Fields rookie year
Just curious, what were his win shares from 03-05'?

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Just curious, what were his win shares from 03-05'?
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?playerId=227

'04 8.4 (adjusted to 150 games, 8.75)
'05 14.5 (adjusted to 150 games, 16.5)

It only goes back to '04 from what I see

Tragedy
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
My god. Everything turns into Crede vs. the world.

Back to Carlos: The guy is a beast. I was so shocked that AZ was willing to give up on him so quickly, despite the fact that mostly everyone in baseball believing he could be a 25-30 HR type of guy. He's a quality player, and I'm glad he's playing himself into a full time role. If he continues to impress, he'll be a mainstay in the Sox OF for years to come. It's amazing - He's still a kid, and guys like that aren't had for cheap.

Sox88
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
quentins a nice surprise... im pretty sure that owens is gonna be in the bigs after some rehab time in AAA. so its down to anderson or ramirez being sent down. both haven't hit well, but alexi has the advantage being able to play a multitude of positions.

everyone is looking too much into Quentin. Yes he has been successful early, but we haven't seen him in the long run, and he has far from a cannon of an arm. It is between him and Anderson fro the last spot when owens comes back, and all signs point to him getting sent down. Guillen has been giving Quentin so much playing time because he wants him to get major league at bats before he gets sent down. The only problem is he has been above expectations. If we start seeing anderson in the lineup more, then It'll be a debate but despite his success, Quentin will be sent down.

kwstriker299
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
My god. Everything turns into Crede vs. the world.

Back to Carlos: The guy is a beast. I was so shocked that AZ was willing to give up on him so quickly, despite the fact that mostly everyone in baseball believing he could be a 25-30 HR type of guy. He's a quality player, and I'm glad he's playing himself into a full time role. If he continues to impress, he'll be a mainstay in the Sox OF for years to come. It's amazing - He's still a kid, and guys like that aren't had for cheap.

It's also amazing since Arizona has a lack of power hitters in their lineup. He could of provided the power hitting that they lack.

redwhitenblue
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
everyone is looking too much into Quentin. Yes he has been successful early, but we haven't seen him in the long run, and he has far from a cannon of an arm. It is between him and Anderson fro the last spot when owens comes back, and all signs point to him getting sent down. Guillen has been giving Quentin so much playing time because he wants him to get major league at bats before he gets sent down. The only problem is he has been above expectations. If we start seeing anderson in the lineup more, then It'll be a debate but despite his success, Quentin will be sent down.
That would be the dumbest thing the Sox can do.

Demoting/Benching Quentin for Owens would severely hurt the team

DaSox_05
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Are you insane???? Quentin will absouletly NOT be sent down at all.

kwstriker299
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM

HUH?? :confused:

That makes no sense what so ever!! The only way I could see someone saying that is if you are actually Brian Anderson. There are no signs that point to him getting sent down, and if there are, please share with the rest of us. And we won't see Anderson in the lineup on a regular basis, and why would we want to with the way Quentin is playing.

JDIsMyGod23
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM

Wow... no, no, no, no!!!

whitesoxfan83
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
im telling you guys i love owens more than anyone, I WANT QUENTIN PLAYING, but!

when owens comesback he will replace quentin and leadoff, espicially for the pitching matchups, owens lefty, quentin righty

im willing to bet when owens comes back he is inserted right back at leadoff, unless quentin continues his tear.

but if and when carlos comes back to earth it will be owens job.

ozzie loves owens like he loves uribe im telling you guys quentin will lose his job for a week or so when owens comesback.

im not saying its the right move im saying thats whats gonna happen

DaSox_05
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Owens will not be in the lineup nor leading off if the Sox are still playing good with Swisher leading off and Quentin in Left field.

JDIsMyGod23
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Well if that is the case, Ozzie will be a ****ing ******.

whitesoxfan83
04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
again guys not saying it should be

but ill bet it is

a lot of this will depend on if the pitcher were facing is a lefty or righty.

but i bet they platoon in LF in the month of may

whoever has a better month i think ulimatly gets the job for the rest of the year

JDIsMyGod23
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Wrong thread....

whitesoxfan83
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Wrong thread....

im sorry were you looking for a crede fields argument? :p

chisox..YES!
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
A big hit for Quentin today. He is looking good. And Quentin has brought more to the table this first week IMO then Owens did all last season. Guillen better start Quentin the rest of the year as long as he is healthy.

Tad's Gooch
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM

did you see the play a few days ago when he threw out the guy at first? how can you say he doesnt have a cannon? your crazy

soxnfins
04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
CQ won't be sent down, he will play until JO is done hurting. But really I hope CQ stays starting, but I think will happen that Carlos Canseco will play vs lefties and JO will play vs righties.

whitesoxfan83
04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
CQ won't be sent down, he will play until JO is done hurting. But really I hope CQ stays starting, but I think will happen that Carlos Canseco will play vs lefties and JO will play vs righties.

exactly

Impaler
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
What I would like seen done:

Trade Thome & Konerko

Resign Crede

Lineup:

Owens DH
Cabrera SS
Quentin LF
Swisher CF
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Fields 1B
AJ C
Uribe/Ramirez SS

Sox_13
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM

Trade Thome & Konerko

Resign Crede

Lineup:

Owens DH
Cabrera SS
Quentin LF
Swisher CF
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Fields 1B
AJ C
Uribe/Ramirez SS
What would we get for Thome and Konerko? I would think at least one of the players we got in return would be in the starting lineup.

ChiCubs54
04-08-2008, 12:10 AM

Trade Thome & Konerko

Resign Crede

Lineup:

Owens DH
Cabrera SS
Quentin LF
Swisher CF
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Fields 1B
AJ C
Uribe/Ramirez SS

Owens as the DH?

If that happens, put Swisher in RF, Dye as the DH, and Owens in CF.

blams
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM

ill take a 280-290 with 25 and gold glove ANYDAY ANYTIME

over a jose valentin-esque fielder with an awful average in the majors and a ridiculous amount of k's with 40 homers.

blams
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
trade thome and konerko? lol

fields is more tradeable than them...

they are proven hitters that dont k 199 times in only 100 at bats.

Impaler
04-08-2008, 04:47 AM
What would we get for Thome and Konerko? I would think at least one of the players we got in return would be in the starting lineup.

I would rather restock the minors with some prospects then getting a starting player. Maybe one of those players could be ready to step in later this year or next. However I think our only question mark in the lineup is 2nd base.

Starting rotation still has a couple of question marks. Other than that get us some prospects.

Impaler
04-08-2008, 04:52 AM
trade thome and konerko? lol

fields is more tradeable than them...

they are proven hitters that dont k 199 times in only 100 at bats.

LOL! Your saying a team in need of offense would rather have a Fields, over Thome or Konerko? You are joking right? Fields is only a 2nd year player, while the other 2 are proven veterans one of whom has a WS ring and MVP stats in the playoffs.

Besides trading Thome & Konerko would make us younger instantly and shave a nice chunk off of the payroll.

MGB
04-08-2008, 05:40 AM
ill take a 280-290 with 25 and gold glove ANYDAY ANYTIME

over a jose valentin-esque fielder with an awful average in the majors and a ridiculous amount of k's with 40 homers.

OK, you're just making stuff up.

For those who think JO should be put back in the lineup over Quentin to lead-off are high. What exactly does JO provide in the leadoff spot other than speed? Swisher has a ridiculous OBP going now and he's playing well in the leadoff spot, it'd be ******** to move him.

kwstriker299
04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
^^ I'm pretty sure he was talking about Crede over Fields, not JO over CQ....

Sox88
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
wow, i didnt know that the five games quentin has played were enough to make his case for the whole season. Let's look at this from this perspective, when owens comes back, if quentin wants to start he'll have to platoon and bat against lefties= few at bats. If he is sent down he will get more at bats which is what the sox want to give him to see if he can last a whole season as a starter. Right now the focus is on trying to see what we could get for brian anderson and therefore giving him major league at bats to show he can contribute. He had the best spring of anyone and has two at bats this year, dont really think he's going to get sent down, especially since he is our best fielding outfielder which makes him perfect for the bench. Like I said before, we're giving major league at bats before we make a decision on weather or not to send him down. Whoever said quentin has contributed more this season then owens did last season seriously has brain damage. The fact of the matter is quentin isnt leading the team in any category, owens led in stolen bases and played a quarter of a season. but think what you want but please think harder before you reply...

zzConflict
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
wow, i didnt know that the five games quentin has played were enough to make his case for the whole season. Let's look at this from this perspective, when owens comes back, if quentin wants to start he'll have to platoon and bat against lefties= few at bats.
But Quentin is just flat out better than Owens, so why should Quentin have to platoon?

DaSox_05
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
wow, i didnt know that the five games quentin has played were enough to make his case for the whole season. Let's look at this from this perspective, when owens comes back, if quentin wants to start he'll have to platoon and bat against lefties= few at bats. If he is sent down he will get more at bats which is what the sox want to give him to see if he can last a whole season as a starter. Right now the focus is on trying to see what we could get for brian anderson and therefore giving him major league at bats to show he can contribute. He had the best spring of anyone and has two at bats this year, dont really think he's going to get sent down, especially since he is our best fielding outfielder which makes him perfect for the bench. Like I said before, we're giving major league at bats before we make a decision on weather or not to send him down. Whoever said quentin has contributed more this season then owens did last season seriously has brain damage. The fact of the matter is quentin isnt leading the team in any category, owens led in stolen bases and played a quarter of a season. but think what you want but please think harder before you reply...

Im sorry dude but your crazy if the Sox are playing well there is no way Jerry Owens will be on the team (only if they send down Ramirez NOT Quentin). To send down Quentin just to get more at bats is just plain stupid if you ask me. Yea sure Anderson is the best defensive outfielder the Sox have but to bad he has the worst attitude. IF Owens comes back on the team either Anderson will be traded or sent down or like I said earlier Ramirez will be sent down NOT Quentin.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 11:18 AM
sox88 is dead on right here guys.

owens will be brought up anderson or ramirez will be sent down. and owens and quentin will be platooned.

ozzie is huge on the whole righty lefty thing.

again guys as ive said since this thread started i bet money owens is in the lineup platooning in LF with quentin. and if been saying that since february.

owens vs righties
quentin vs lefties

thats what happens.

ive come to like quentin and do believe he should be playing but! everyone here *****es about owens arm, lets look at quentins fielding from what ive seen he cant field for ****. yes he has an amazing arm but he isnt fast at all he jogs to balls and ive seen him drop 2 already.

mark my words owens will be playing when he comesback and him and quentin platoon. not saying its the right thing, but its what will happen.

kwstriker299
04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

what are u smoking??

Jerry Owens hasn't proved anything.....who cares if he had some stolen bases last year. Quentin has been very good so far this year, and is flat out better than Jerry Owens, no question. Why give BA at bats when we dont really know if he will produce?

**News Flash**

Quentin is producinig, and at a high level. Why would we take him out of the lineup? Maybe its you who needs to think harder before you reply...

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
i cant wait to watch these boards explode when owens is playing against righties.... its going to make fields/crede look like a day in the park

DaSox_05
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
WSF83 and Sox88 Why would you take Quentin's bat out of the lineup???? The Sox are playing very well without the mighty Owens (Sarcasm). Taking Quentin out of the line up and platooning him would be just plain dumb.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
WSF83 and Sox88 Why would you take Quentin's bat out of the lineup???? The Sox are playing very well without the mighty Owens (Sarcasm). Taking Quentin out of the line up and platooning him would be just plain dumb.

read what i just posted!(three posts above).... i dont want quentins bat out of the lineup

but i bet owens plays against righties.

btw

wasserman was more productive in spring and in 07 than masset. who got sent down?

Fields had a better spring and better numbers than crede. who got sent down?

i know there were extenduating circumstances with the above, but there is with owens to.

ozzie has a man crush on him like he does on uribe.

and i bet he plays against righties, which means hes going to get more ABs than quentin.

atleast until owens proves he cant handle it, then quentin might go back.

i can see it now these boards are gonna explode

DaSox_05
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I think Owens probably will eventually start but he will have to earn it. At first he will be probably be put it to pinch run or a late inning defensive replacement (Thats if Anderson is sent down). I hope im wrong though.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I think Owens probably will eventually start but he will have to earn it. At first he will be probably be put it to pinch run or a late inning defensive replacement (Thats if Anderson is sent down). I hope im wrong though.

i think ramirez is the one sent down, so he can figure out how to hit ML pitching. i eventually think anderson will be dealt and bourgeois will be brought up

DaSox_05
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
^^Yea I can see that happening.

parttimepariah
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM

no i think you're right, they're going to want to see his legs during a live game firstly, he'll be inserted late in the game...

East Side Z
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Jerry Owens=Wally Pipp!!;)

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Jerry Owens=Wally Pipp!!;)

i dont know if this is who you meant but....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pippwa01.shtml

yea those actually do look just like owens numbers, take away the HRS, and add on about 30-40 more SB every season....

although i would hope and think owens OBP would get better and be more consistant that pipps

JDIsMyGod23
04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Pipp is the guy who sat because of a cold for Gehrig, I'm pretty sure that's what he means, not just based on his numbers. Learn some history WSF!!!

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
i know who pipp is

i was trying to be sarcastic.....

its kinda hard with the type...

he stats really arent close to owens. and if anything josh fields is more like pipp

too bad crede isnt gehrig

JDIsMyGod23
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought since you actually had a link of the guys stats you were serious. My bad WSF, my bad.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I thought since you actually had a link of the guys stats you were serious. My bad WSF, my bad.

i kinda needed it to show his numbers arent really close to pipps, totally differnt.

either way that was just a terrible joke gone extremly awry

Illini Tim
04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
He has been a surprise imo. I did not think he would be on the opening day roster. Keep this outfield the way it is. I dont care what Owens did in September of a terrible season when we were in fourth place. Keep Quentin in left and Swisher in center.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 04:31 PM
i agree ^

but again.....i think owens plays vs righties

JDIsMyGod23
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Owens against righties as a whole won't happen. Maybe spot starts here and there vs. righties. I think Owens can be a fine 4th outfielder as a change of pace, but as a priority 3rd outfielder vs righties.... ehhhhhhh.... no. And so you don't have to say it again, I know it's what you think, not the actually fact of it.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
rgr that. also as i posted previoulsy i would think eventually the sox realize there mistake. by june quentin will be playing the majority of the time.

looking at it more, owens IMO will be a good player somewhere, but we dont have the room for him in the OF.

what we do have is a spot on the bench that is in dire need of a pinch runner and a pinch hitter whose a lefty.

JDIsMyGod23
04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Owens on the bench at all, I just don't want him STARTING over Quentin.

Illini Tim
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I am curious to see how Owens has progressed from last year. And it would be nice to see some speed in the line-up, but it is nice to see a lead-off hitter on base.

sager729
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
It would be nice to have some speed in this lineup, but right now Quentin/Swish/JD has to be our outfield. At least our bench will have a lot of speed on it with Ozuna, Owens and I'm guessing either Ramirez or Bourgeois.

chisox..YES!
04-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but from the press conferences by Ozzie that I have heard, it sounds like he is getting a mancrush on Quentin. Not that minor league numbers say anything, but Quentin has had 10times better numbers than Owens in the minors. And since neither of these guys are proven at the big leagues, I am basing a lot off of their minor league years.

1-800-STFU
04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Quentin's 06 in the majors was very good don't forget that.....850+ OPS

We was injured 07.

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
quentin is locked in as the starter. He has a WAY better track record than Owens. Owens doesn't have good plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter. He will never hit for a high average and will be assigned back to charlotte whenever he does return. The best thing to do for KW right now is trade brian anderson for yusmeiro petit.

SouthSideIrish
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
quentin is locked in as the starter. He has a WAY better track record than Owens. Owens doesn't have good plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter. He will never hit for a high average and will be assigned back to charlotte whenever he does return. The best thing to do for KW right now is trade brian anderson for yusmeiro petit.

At this point, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 07:42 PM

WHAT!!!!

are you freaking kidding me?

if that was an offer the Dbacks would actually offer us KW was officially be a ****ing moron not to take it.

seriously you cant be serious? petit is 24, had a decent year last year, has been good early this season.

anderson is a scrub. sorry guys i know some of you think "hes the next torii hunter" :pity: either way a hot spring doesnt mean **** (case in point alexei)

but why would the Dbacks do that? a 24 yearold RP to us....whose done pretty well in a hitters park for.......

a 26year old POS who wouldnt even start in your outfield? frankly he isnt even good enough to be on your bench.

if you were just throwing names out there thats one thing.....but seriously?

if were playing that game....

The best thing to do for KW right now is trade brian anderson for CHRIS YOUNG!

maybe he make up for the UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE he made already.

then again the chances of us getting young back are about the same as getting petit

JDIsMyGod23
04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
This guy has said crap about this Petit guy in like every post he has ever had, he is obviously a jokester, and a very bad one at that.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
whats not to like a petit?

24 had an ERA lower than 4.50 in a hitters park.

id take him in a heartbeat

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Have you seen the adjustments hes made? He was leading the cactus league in K's at one point and was unhittable. If he had started, he would have had more k's than haren

Posted a 2. something era with big k numbers for the first time ever. Obviously, something is brewing up with petit. Keep in mind that his outstanding VWL performance is what followed his similar cactus league performance.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Have you seen the adjustments hes made? He was leading the cactus league in K's at one point and was unhittable. If he had started, he would have had more k's than haren

Posted a 2. something era with big k numbers for the first time ever. Obviously, something is brewing up with petit. Keep in mind that his outstanding VWL performance is what followed his similar cactus league performance.

yea we know....

id take him for anderson

zzConflict
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Petit has good deception which is what led to him having gaudy strikeout numbers in the minors but nobody thought it would translate to the majors and so far it hasn't really. He gives up a ton of homers as well, he's pretty much in the same boat as Anderson for me, that of failed prospect.

kwstriker299
04-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Petit has good deception which is what led to him having gaudy strikeout numbers in the minors but nobody thought it would translate to the majors and so far it hasn't really. He gives up a ton of homers as well, he's pretty much in the same boat as Anderson for me, that of failed prospect.

ZZ....what would we do without you? thanks for the knowledge

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
you're basing his first two seasons on that? he was just a kid and it isnt as if he didnt strike out anyone at the major league level. Must i remind you, he struck out 40 in 58 IP last year and he showed flashes of his strikeout potential on many occassions - 8ks in 5 ip against the reds for example.

It took Ben sheets 3 seasons to realize his strikeout potential. Petit showed in spring training that he does in fact have the potential to translate his minor league success at the major league level.

redwhitenblue
04-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Well, no one can debate ST statistics

Oh wait...

zzConflict
04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
you're basing his first two seasons on that? he was just a kid and it isnt as if he didnt strike out anyone at the major league level. Must i remind you, he struck out 40 in 58 IP last year and he showed flashes of his strikeout potential on many occassions - 8ks in 5 ip against the reds for example.
His stuff is really very average, like I said he only had success because of his deception and decent command, that's generally not going to cut it in the Majors.

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
seriously

07 numbers

57IP 4.59ERA 40Ks 1.33WHIP 18BB 58H that all in a hitters park for a guy whose 24!

OK LETS TAKE A STEP BACK....

the 07 numbers above are better than

Thorntons 07 numbers
Logans 07 numbers
MacDougals 07 Numbers
Massets 07 Number

^there still in our BP why would petit in our bullpen be such a bad thing?

serioulsy this is a pointless argument but i think calling him a failed prospect is a stretch hes only pitched one full season in the BP its too early to say if the way he pitches wont work in the majors.

and finally if you wouldnt take another boone logan (thats pretty much what he is) for BA then your crazy.

either way... pointless argument bc its not gonna happen

zzConflict
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
either way... pointless argument bc its not gonna happen
It's not exactly a far fetched idea, he was traded for Jorge Julio just last year so that shows how much people think of him.

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
the only reason he was traded for julio was because julio was appointed as the closer for the dbacks and he had solid peripherals - 3.38 era in one season with them. The fact that he had the "stuff" to close and was solid in the previous year is what prompted the dbacks to trade for petit. I hope you realize that the fish got cash in that trade as well. Tells you what the dbacks think of petit, doesnt it?

Fact of the matter is petit is better now than he was 2 years or a year ago. Every year, he gets better. 2006 - he was hittable in AAA, 2007 - he only allowed 82 hits in 94-96 ip. 2008 spring training? well let me just go by the numbers, 17 ks, 12 ip 2.38 era

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
im agreeing with you petit is pretty good.

but dont quote ST numbers it really just an AWFUL way to judge a player

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
haha well as far as the real season concerns,

he has a 0.00 era LOL

so yeah i hope KW trades for petit but the dbacks might use petit to fill in Davis' role now that he's going to get treatment for thyroid.

Go chi sox!

carlos quentin rules

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
haha well as far as the real season concerns,

he has a 0.00 era LOL

so yeah i hope KW trades for petit but the dbacks might use petit to fill in Davis' role now that he's going to get treatment for thyroid.

Go chi sox!

carlos quentin rules

and going back to my original point!!!!

you are a Dbacks fan?..... yes?!

then after spending all these posts on petit why do you want the sox to get him?

unless ur a sox fan. in which case fine i guess

..Amanazing...
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
im a huge y. petit fan thats why im advocating for a trade to the white sox - my fav team

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
mmmmmmmmmk

that makes sense

the dbacks thing threw my off.

either way it will be a cold day in hell when we get petit for anderson

quade36
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
FYI about Quentin, its not like he came out of nowhere. He was one of the top prospects in baseball 3 years ago. Yes he struggled in the majors the last two years but he is a career .312 hitter in the minors and has a sick .427 OBP. The guy has talent. If anything should be considered a sleeper, it should be that the White Sox traded a player in A ball for him. Sure if this player turns out alright it would be a good deal for the Diamondbacks, but we won't know that til 3-4 years from now. This could be one of the best trades of the offseason.

zzConflict
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Yes he struggled in the majors the last two years but he is a career .312 hitter in the minors and has a sick .427 OBP.
Quentin had a .872 OPS in '06, that's very good especially considering it was his rookie year.

Sox88
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
what are u smoking??

Jerry Owens hasn't proved anything.....who cares if he had some stolen bases last year. Quentin has been very good so far this year, and is flat out better than Jerry Owens, no question. Why give BA at bats when we dont really know if he will produce?

**News Flash**

Quentin is producinig, and at a high level. Why would we take him out of the lineup? Maybe its you who needs to think harder before you reply...

does someone wanna explain to me just HOW carlos quentin is better than jerry owens????? I really dont know, you'd think the guy won us the world series with his 7 rbi's this year. Show me he can play a whole season, then we'll talk

East Side Z
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
does someone wanna explain to me just HOW carlos quentin is better than jerry owens????? I really dont know, you'd think the guy won us the world series with his 7 rbi's this year. Show me he can play a whole season, then we'll talk

And when exactlly did Owens play a WHOLE season???????

zzConflict
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Quentin had a .872 OPS in '06, Owens can only dream of having an .800+ OPS. They're not close at all, Carlos blows Jerry away offensively and defensively.

Carlos Quentin can hit for power, average, has good on base ability, has a very strong arm and can play good defense.

Jerry Owens can run fast and grow an afro.

DaSox_05
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Quentin had a .872 OPS in '06, Owens can only dream of having an .800+ OPS. They're not close at all, Carlos blows Jerry away offensively and defensively.

Carlos Quentin can hit for power, average, has good on base ability, has a very strong arm and can play good defense.

Jerry Owens can run fast and grow an afro.

:laugh:

DaSox_05
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM

I think WSF83 has found his new best friend. :laugh:

whitesoxfan83
04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
i think ive made it clear i have no problem with quentin

owens value is his speed, hes hurt, which means he cant use do ****. and even when he comes back an injury like that lingers.

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Quentin's just potential, look at what Owens did in September, Owens needs to play:rolleyes:

im telling you guys i love owens more than anyone, I WANT QUENTIN PLAYING, but!

when owens comesback he will replace quentin and leadoff, espicially for the pitching matchups, owens lefty, quentin righty

im willing to bet when owens comes back he is inserted right back at leadoff, unless quentin continues his tear.

but if and when carlos comes back to earth it will be owens job.

ozzie loves owens like he loves uribe im telling you guys quentin will lose his job for a week or so when owens comesback.

im not saying its the right move im saying thats whats gonna happen

sox88 is dead on right here guys.

owens will be brought up anderson or ramirez will be sent down. and owens and quentin will be platooned.

ozzie is huge on the whole righty lefty thing.

again guys as ive said since this thread started i bet money owens is in the lineup platooning in LF with quentin. and if been saying that since february.

owens vs righties
quentin vs lefties

thats what happens.

ive come to like quentin and do believe he should be playing but! everyone here *****es about owens arm, lets look at quentins fielding from what ive seen he cant field for ****. yes he has an amazing arm but he isnt fast at all he jogs to balls and ive seen him drop 2 already.

mark my words owens will be playing when he comesback and him and quentin platoon. not saying its the right thing, but its what will happen.

OOPS...!!!

Love this old thread started after our man crush Quentin started off hot!!!!

Enjoy reading thru this thread!!!

kwstriker299
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
ouch....

JDIsMyGod23
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
RWB was obviously sarcastic. But, other then that OOPS! Don't pull any threads discussing Ramirez. :hide:

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Yea RWB was being sarcastic after reading thru the thread I found out he did favor Quentin.

GrinderBall41
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
"a hot spring doesnt mean **** (case in point alexei)"

-WSF83 :laugh2:

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Yea everybody pretty much didnt think Ramirez was going to be this good. I knew he would make the team and contribute but I never thought he would be this good. However he has some ROOKIE mistakes in the field but also has made some excellent plays as well that back handed side ways flip last week was amazing.