PDA

View Full Version : Trades

brandonwarne52
03-23-2008, 03:25 PM
This is going to be a short blog entry, but it's meant to spark some discussion and I think that it will result in some productive ideas being thrown around.

So, I was thinking the other day. The Marlins-Red Sox trade of Beckett and Lowell for Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, and others has worked out pretty well for both sides. The Marlins didn't want to (or perhaps couldn't) pay Lowell and Beckett, and for my money, Hanley Ramirez is the best offensive SS in the game. The Red Sox won the World Series riding Beckett's right arm and Lowell's hot bad and solid defense.

So, what other trades that are recent or somewhat so have worked out well for both sides?

iam brett favre
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I think the Mets-Twins trade will work out similar to this one, with Johan.
btw it may be a dumb question, but does Delmon Young and BJ Upton speak english?

IndiansFan337
03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
So, what other trades that are recent or somewhat so have worked out well for both sides?

This is going out on a limb here, but I have heard many people saying that the Hamilton-Volquez trade between the Reds & Rangers this offseason will help both teams. Cincinnatti needed a SP, and Volquez has looked great this spring. Texas needed a CF, and Hamilton has simply been a monster this spring. I have heard some people even predicting 40-50 HR's out of the former top pick. Obviously, this shouldn't be judged yet....But in a few years it could be looked at as one of these trades.

brandonwarne52
03-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, Delmon speaks English. Check out this commercial with him:

http://multimedia.twinsbaseball.com/audio/Guru30WEB.wmv

Pretty decent commercial with Delmon.

And good picks for trades so far.

PhillyLuver
03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
This is going to be a short blog entry, but it's meant to spark some discussion and I think that it will result in some productive ideas being thrown around.

So, I was thinking the other day. The Marlins-Red Sox trade of Beckett and Lowell for Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, and others has worked out pretty well for both sides. The Marlins didn't want to (or perhaps couldn't) pay Lowell and Beckett, and for my money, Hanley Ramirez is the best offensive SS in the game. The Red Sox won the World Series riding Beckett's right arm and Lowell's hot bad and solid defense.

wow, totally read that wrong.

i think the swisher trade will work out well, white sox got a slugger they need and a's got prospects for their future run.

iam brett favre
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Oh ok, I thought you meant Delmon Young was saying see ball heet ball in your avatar, thats why lol.

iam brett favre
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
And i just watched an interview with Upton, confirming he talks english.

IndiansFan337
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
btw it may be a dumb question, but does Delmon Young and BJ Upton speak english?

I am 99% sure that both are American. So they should be able to speak English. :p

sticky?
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
I remember a trade going into 2006 in which the mets traded mike cameron to the padres for xavier nady. That seems to have been fair to both teams, though it wasn't a huge impact for either.

00sxy
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I think Orlando Cabrera for Jon Garland was pretty even. Dunno if it really helps the ChiSox though.

nykmgr
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Lenny Dykstra for Juan Samuel was a good deal...

One took a bad team to the world series the other took a world series team and made them bad...

MetsFan28
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Jacobs and Petit for Delgado.

McJoe
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the Mets-Twins trade will work out similar to this one, with Johan.

speaking of Delmon i really think that the Garza for Delmon trade is gonna end up working out really well for both sides...

the Twins have a surplus of pitching even without Garza and Johan with Liriano, Bonsor, Slowey, Perkins, Manship, Blackburn, Humber, Mulvey, and some more really good pitching specs so Garza is expendable and they add a very powerful right handed bat to the middle of the order which didnt have a really big right handed bat with Mauer and Morneau both being lefties

then on the other side the Rays desperately need some pitching help right now...Davis, McGee, Price, and the other guys are all a year or so away from being able to pitch and Sonnastine, Jackson, and Hammel all suck balls so they needed someone to come in who was a sure shot and semi proven to come in and sit behind Kazmir and Shields

brandonwarne52
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
The Twins weren't as high on Garza as other teams were, either. They did well to get Harris and Pridie in addition to Young.

MJIDieHard
03-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Lenny Dykstra for Juan Samuel was a good deal...

One took a bad team to the world series the other took a world series team and made them bad...

hahaha sad but true

BALLER71
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Jacobs and Petit for Delgado.

No that wasn't great for the Marlins, Petit got traded and Jacobs has been below average.

BALLER71
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
The Marlins once traded Johna Santana for Shawn Camp.

CarniifeX
04-11-2008, 12:13 AM

wow

CarniifeX
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe if the Expos had held onto Sizemore after drafting him in the third round of the 2000 draft, they’d still be in Montreal to this day. Okay, so Grady had little to do with why the Expos aren’t north of the border anymore, but it’s crazy to think that they gave up yet another young talent for next-to-nothing. In 2002, the Expos sent Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee and Lee Stevens to Cleveland in exchange for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew. Colon had an unbelievable year, finishing with a combined 20-8 record and a 2.93 ERA, but he was shipped to the White Sox immediately after the season. Conversely, Sizemore is a major fan favorite in Cleveland and has been a rock both offensively and defensively for the Tribe since 2005.

brandonwarne52
04-11-2008, 04:11 AM

No, they didn't.

zzConflict
04-12-2008, 12:59 AM
No, they didn't.
Yes, they did.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/sports/baseball/31scout.html?ex=1359435600&en=334dc68c9d6fc085&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

ThisIsTheYear
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Maybe if the Expos had held onto Sizemore after drafting him in the third round of the 2000 draft, they’d still be in Montreal to this day. Okay, so Grady had little to do with why the Expos aren’t north of the border anymore, but it’s crazy to think that they gave up yet another young talent for next-to-nothing. In 2002, the Expos sent Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee and Lee Stevens to Cleveland in exchange for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew. Colon had an unbelievable year, finishing with a combined 20-8 record and a 2.93 ERA, but he was shipped to the White Sox immediately after the season. Conversely, Sizemore is a major fan favorite in Cleveland and has been a rock both offensively and defensively for the Tribe since 2005.

Don't forget about Brandon Phillips. One of the better, maybe top 3, 2B in baseball. Cliff Lee also had some good years after the trade too.

brandonwarne52
04-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, they did.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/sports/baseball/31scout.html?ex=1359435600&en=334dc68c9d6fc085&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Still. No, they didn't.

JARED Camp.

sportwiz628
04-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Still. No, they didn't.

JARED Camp.

lol

brandonwarne52
04-12-2008, 05:31 PM
LOL I know.....

I mean come on folks....I'm no dummy.

IndiansFan337
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
This is going out on a limb here, but I have heard many people saying that the Hamilton-Volquez trade between the Reds & Rangers this offseason will help both teams. Cincinnatti needed a SP, and Volquez has looked great this spring. Texas needed a CF, and Hamilton has simply been a monster this spring. I have heard some people even predicting 40-50 HR's out of the former top pick. Obviously, this shouldn't be judged yet....But in a few years it could be looked at as one of these trades.

Most even deal of the winter -- Josh Hamilton from Cincinnati to Texas for Edinson Volquez. Who got the better of this deal? Maybe nobody. Hamilton leads the major leagues in RBIs (32), and leads the AL in extra-base hits (17). And Volquez leads the NL in ERA (1.23), and trails only John Smoltz and Jonathan Sanchez in strikeout ratio (10. 1 per 9 IP). When was the last time any trade looked this rewarding for both teams?
ESPN.com link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings)

I'm psychic. :p

Santana4Prez'08
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
soriano for arod

im pretty sure that was the trade?

dodgersuck
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
terrible trade-San diego trades RHP Adam Eaton, RHP Akinori Otsuka and C Billy Killian to texas in exchange for RHP Chris Young, 1B Adrian Gonzalez and OF Terrmel Sledge.

IndiansFan337
06-02-2008, 11:57 PM

Minaya made that trade to try & push them into the playoffs that year though, because MLB was talking about contraction. And he didn't know if he'd have a job, or they'd even have a team the following season. So he didn't care at all about any of the team's A ball players, at that point.

McJoe
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
terrible trade-San diego trades RHP Adam Eaton, RHP Akinori Otsuka and C Billy Killian to texas in exchange for RHP Chris Young, 1B Adrian Gonzalez and OF Terrmel Sledge.

your from San Fran so do i actually need to mention a trade that is probably 2nd to that one too :p possibly involving AJ Pierzynski :D

mikeman0000
06-06-2008, 12:14 PM

Are you god?

cle12152433
07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
The Bartolo Colon for Lee, Sizemore and Phillips trade.

The Indians wanted some great prospects which as history shows us, it's what they got. (Phillips never shined with the Indians, but his talent now is undeniable).

The Expos wanted to save their program, and Colon went 10-4 for them. While it wasn't a long term type deal for Montreal, it worked out for both teams b/c 2 years later the Expos would not exist.

blujaysrock
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM

volquez for hamilton :D