PDA

View Full Version : Kershaw vs. Lincecum

YankeeFan28
03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Who will have the better career?

D.P. Master
03-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Both have extremely high potential and have shown they can shut down ML hitting but I have to go with the guy that has a power pitcher's body and is left-handed. KERSHAW

IndiansFan337
03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Lincecum. He's already showing glimpses of his talent in the majors.

For all we know, Kershaw may never cut it in the high minors & majors.

ThisIsTheYear
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
This is a toss up. Lincecum has showed that he can handle the majors. But, as D.P. said, Kershaw has a build of a power pitcher and a lefty. This might have to wait a few years until Kershaw is actually in the majors.

C1Bman88
03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Not the best comparison to make, IMO.

I think you'd be better off with comparing Lincecum to a Gallardo (done already), Chamberlain or Hughes.

Why not compare Kershaw with David Price?

RedHeadsRule
03-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I'll go with Lincecum because he's more of a sure thing...

x_notorious
03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Lincecum. Kershaw hasn't pitched in an MLB inning yet.

xander
03-23-2008, 02:22 PM

I think you'd be better off with comparing Lincecum to a Gallardo (done already), Chamberlain or Hughes.

I agree. Lincecum has almost an entire major league season under his belt, while Kershaw hasn't even touched the majors.

YankeeFan28
03-23-2008, 04:33 PM

That's no fun then.

C1Bman88
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
That's no fun then.

:laugh2:

I obviously have Bay bias, but I love Kershaw. I think he's going to be lights-out, and I'm scared for the day that he starts pitching against the Giants. I'd love to see what the 20-80 scouting scales are for Kershaw, but if they're anything like Lincecum's (80 fastball, 80 curve) then this kid will be downright spectacular.

CAIN=FUTURE
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
A better comparison would be Cain vs. Lincecum, but lets not do that because it might spark a civil war in the Bay. As for this comparison, I go 1000000% with Timmy, I think we all know why.

PhillyUD26
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Why is Lincecum compared to every other pitcher in MLB. Honestly, everytime i go to these player comparisons, its always Lincecum vs so-and-so...EVERYTIME

CAIN=FUTURE
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Why is Lincecum compared to every other pitcher in MLB. Honestly, everytime i go to these player comparisons, its always Lincecum vs so-and-so...EVERYTIME

Because everyone is jelous!!!!

dylanvw
03-24-2008, 01:26 AM
gotta b lince

Gigantes4Life
03-24-2008, 01:57 AM

Because he's so unique.

Jilly Bohnson
03-24-2008, 02:30 AM
From the numbers/scouting reports Kershaw sounds to me like a left handed Lincecum(great fastball, great curveball, developing change, meh control). So because of that, and hte fact he's like 4 years younger, I'm going to go with Kershaw.

Pujolsfan91
03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Lincecum because he's proven he can pitch in the majors. If Kershaw actually becomes the prospect he's touted to be then he'll probably have the better career due to Age.

con_artist
03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Consdering kershaw has no ML experience, this really isnt a fair comparison, ill go with linc simply cuz hes shown what he can do in the bigs

PhillyUD26
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Because everyone is jelous!!!!

No...we have Cole Hamels, who is much better

Because he's so unique.

He's a young Roy Oswalt, but with long-term injury concerns because of his size

giantspwn
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I would give Kershaw the edge if he was the same age as Lincecum because he's a lefty but Lincecum has almost a whole year under his belt. Kershaw needs a year or 2 before we can see what he can really do. But regardless both pitchers will be down right nasty in the future pending injuries.

Sbank
03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
It is to early to tell but if i had to guess right now I take Lincecum since he major league proven as of right now but I not sure who will have the better career since neither of them have been in the major leagues long or at all in the case of Kershaw but both have bright careers ahead of themselves.

Humongo
03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
No...we have Cole Hamels, who is much better

Maybe. In my opinion, he isn't better, let alone much better. Lincecum has much better stuff, but there are other intagibles to think of.

He's a young Roy Oswalt, but with long-term injury concerns because of his delivery

Fixed.

xander
03-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I am honestly in shock that Kershaw has three more votes then Lincecum when he hasn't even taken a step into the majors.

TopShelf
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
My vote would be for Kershaw. His flaws seems to be "not having MLB experience" which is somewhat ironic being a prospect

Lincecum is pretty much acting the pace of a typical "Weaver, Verlander". Coming in at age 23 and throwing down an ERA around 3.60-4.00 in their first season.

If Kershaw can come in even younger and preform better, it makes the answer pretty clear. But the age level of play is a bit off

TopShelf
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I am honestly in shock that Kershaw has three more votes then Lincecum when he hasn't even taken a step into the majors.

You make it sound like its "bad" he hasn't. I think if you went Kershaw vs Price (like someone else said) it would make more sense

But the way I see it, its as if Lincecum had his chance for year one, and so to compare, Kershaw gets his shot at year one. And shouldn't be punished because he was born in 1988

xander
03-24-2008, 09:33 PM
My vote would be for Kershaw. His flaws seems to be "not having MLB experience" which is somewhat ironic being a prospect

Lincecum is pretty much acting the pace of a typical "Weaver, Verlander". Coming in at age 23 and throwing down an ERA around 3.60-4.00 in their first season.

If Kershaw can come in even younger and preform better, it makes the answer pretty clear. But the age level of play is a bit off

And there's something wrong with following in the path of Weaver and Verlander? :eyebrow:

G2BOAT
03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Kershaw 95 MPH Fastball and a nasty 12/6 curve and plus he's a Dodger baby!

xander
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Kershaw 95 MPH Fastball and a nasty 12/6 curve and plus he's a Dodger baby!

Lincecum 94-97 MPH Fastball and a really nasty curve and a devistating changeup, and plus he's a Giant baby.

CAIN=FUTURE
03-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't see how useing a argument like Kershaw is so in so years younger than Lincecum really makes sense, being that they will probaly pitch around the same amount of time over there carrers. It will be a fun matchup to watch over the years, or we can just settle with watching Cain blow out Kershaw.

TopShelf
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
And there's something wrong with following in the path of Weaver and Verlander? :eyebrow:

not at all, its just that he didn't blow neither out of the water (not that its a bad thing) so he is pretty much on pace for what to expect from him. He should bounce around a 3.40-4.00 ERA for the better part of his career in the bigs, and could quite well be better then Kershaw long term. So he is a safer pick in my eyes, with less reward.

But when you look at how well the Dodgers are hiding Kershaw, and making sure he goes nice and slow in the minor league level (so there is as little chance of an Edwin Jackson situation), I feel he can walk up and give you a sub 3.00 ERA right out of the gate and be more dominant long term. But, the flaw to that is folding like a lawn chair (like many 20 and under spects) which Lincecum will not have to worry about.

TopShelf
03-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't see how useing a argument like Kershaw is so in so years younger than Lincecum really makes sense, being that they will probably pitch around the same amount of time over there carrers. It will be a fun matchup to watch over the years, or we can just settle with watching Cain blow out Kershaw.

Ya your right, when they get older, a few years will mean very little, but for now thats all we can go on, is a major league season for Lincecum and the Dodgers babying Kershaw.

Its kinda like when A-Rod was drafted by the Mariners. if you asked the majority who would be a better SS him or Jeter, most would say Jeter because he had a .314 average and 70 plus RBI in his rookie year and A-Rod was one year behind. But A-Rod was two years younger and coming right out of High School, which now looking back, meant alot.

So you couldn't help but agree with what was on the table, compared to what you have not seen, and we saw how that worked out. (Though thats a weak example, when A-Rod has no rings and Jeter does =) )

So thats what I am going on, I could be totally wrong, but I'm just going on previous years then future

GHGHCP
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Well the question is career and with Lincecum's funky delivery I see a back injury in his future. Kershaw on the other hand has great mechanics and has the build of a power pitcher already at the age of 20. Both are stud pitchers atm and It will be fun to watch (and beat :D) Lincecum over the years.

I'll take Kershaw. Go figure huh. :D

xander
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
It's strange that all my fellow Giants fans are picking Lincecum, and all dodger fans are picking Kershaw. Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

GHGHCP
03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
It's strange that all my fellow Giants fans are picking Lincecum, and all dodger fans are picking Kershaw. Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

Interesting revelation you got there. Probably just a coincidence. :D

xander
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
That's what i was gonna say. At least we're not as in love with our players as Mets fans. :p

C1Bman88
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
That's what i was gonna say. At least we're not as in love with our players as Mets fans. :p

Maybe not, but we're definitely up there lol.

G2BOAT
03-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Lincecum 94-97 MPH Fastball and a really nasty curve and a devistating changeup, and plus he's a Giant baby.

Wow way to be unique with your choice of words :rolleyes:

C1Bman88
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow way to be unique with your choice of words :rolleyes:

How's this:

His fastball and curveball are both ranked as 80's on the 20-80 scouting scale. :shrug:

SJ5382
03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
You are the LAST person who should be saying anything about the bias of other fans.

Still waiting for your reasoning on why Saito is ranked 8th on the closer's list. And the fact that he is on the Dodgers is not a reason. :p

CAIN=FUTURE
03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Well the question is career and with Lincecum's funky delivery I see a back injury in his future. Kershaw on the other hand has great mechanics and has the build of a power pitcher already at the age of 20. Both are stud pitchers atm and It will be fun to watch (and beat :D) Lincecum over the years.

I'll take Kershaw. Go figure huh. :D

We all know Lincecum has a "funky" delivery, but whos to say that Kershaw gets into a car acident, and that ends his carrer, the same can be said with Lincecums arm. You can't really predict an injury, you can say who is more likely, but not predict it.

xander
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
You are the LAST person who should be saying anything about the bias of other fans.

Still waiting for your reasoning on why Saito is ranked 8th on the closer's list. And the fact that he is on the Dodgers is not a reason. :p

I knew a Mets fan would get pissed at me for saying that, and yes, I am biased.

CAIN=FUTURE
03-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I knew a Mets fan would get pissed at me for saying that, and yes, I am biased.

Whos isnt?

xander
03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Eceryone wants to see their team and their teams players succeed.

CAIN=FUTURE
03-25-2008, 11:49 PM
If you didnt then why would you be a fan.

Jilly Bohnson
03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
How's this:

His fastball and curveball are both ranked as 80's on the 20-80 scouting scale. :shrug:

Aren't Kershaw's also?

Also, IMO this whole major league experience thing is a bunch of bunk. If Lincecum had like 2 or 3 years in the majors it'd be one thing, but the dude's had ~3/4s of a season in the majors, he's not exactly a grizzled vet. If it were someone like Matt Cain who's been up for a while and continually succeeded it'd be one thing, but many guys come up and do good for most of one season and then fall off significantly(Zach Duke).

And to whoever tried to act like it isn't, the age thing is a HUGE factor. Why do you think King Felix is such a big deal? It's because he's doing very well at the major league level at an age where the majority of guys are still pitching in the minors and he's only going to get better. Same deal with Kershaw, he will in all likelihood be pitching in the majors at the same age that Lincecum was when he started pitching in college. When looking at young players and prospects age is a huge factor, and it's one that Kershaw has a big advantage on.

cynomatic
03-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Lincecum looks like he is the real deal

papelbon58
03-28-2008, 11:20 PM
both have very high ceilings, but i think kershaw is gonna have the slightly better career.

dodgersuck
03-29-2008, 05:57 PM
lincecum cuz hes a giant

ZHawk1123
04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Kershaw will last longer...

bosox3431
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Kershaw, everyone saying that it Lincecum because he's proven it the mojors, one year proves nothing, he could still very well be a bust.

jbeezy
04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Lincecum by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr. Why hasnt Kershaw made it to the majors yet?

CAIN=FUTURE
04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Lincecum by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr. Why hasnt Kershaw made it to the majors yet?

Hes only 19.

TopShelf
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Becuase the Dodgers put out or try and put out a winning team every year. Until the MLB is based like a grade 10 science fair, being rewarded for originality and creativity, winning ballgames will be the priority, and building your prospects in the minors goes along with that

I would question why Kershaw is in the minors, when he is 24,25 and beyond, but until then its a free pass

Seiya
04-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Kershaw in a landslide for me, lefty, barely 20?....too bad they took down the video of the "curve" :(

good spliff
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I have seen Lincecum pitch in person, he was hitting 101mph.

trunks17321
04-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Lincecum easy, Kershaw hasn't even made the majors yet. (A little biased Lincecum went to my high schools rival)

Jilly Bohnson
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM

LOL. Kershaw's going to probably be in later the majors this year, at age 20, Lincecum didn't make it until he was 23.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Kershaw. Lincecum throws hard, has some good secondary stuff, but with that delivery, while he'll never get hurt (any speculation to the contrary is unbased, trust me), it'll take a miracle to develop any real control. He may strike out 11 per 9, but he'll also walk around 4.5.

Kershaw, who, from what I'm hearing may open THIS season as the #5 for the Dodgers, is the real deal. He's got polish, command, poise, and great stuff. He's got two, maybe three league average (at least) pitches to go with his heater, which has good velocity/life. His curve and slider could both be classified as plus, giving him 3 plus pitches. He's got a little work to do with his command, but he's a much much better shot to master it than Lincecum does.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
LOL. Kershaw's going to probably be in later the majors this year, at age 20, Lincecum didn't make it until he was 23.

To be fair he was drafted as a College SR.

GBG2489
06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
So....uh yeah....I'm going with Lincecum on this one. But Kershaw needs some time.

R. Johnson#3
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Right now Lincecum is better but Kershaw will have the better career. Kershaw's curveball is downright disgusting.

ugafan
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
How dare you compare this human Kershaw, with God?
Seriously though, Lince is great, and Kershaw is nasty, we'll see in a few years.

LeoGetz
06-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Its bad enough that some Giant fans feel the need to start a new thread every day comparing Lincecum or Cain to someone else, but now bumping old threads :pity:

nme
06-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Its bad enough that some Giant fans feel the need to start a new thread every day comparing Lincecum or Cain to someone else, but now bumping old threads :pity:

And this surprises you how...?

In their defense, since they blew the boards up about a month ago, they have quieted down some about Lincecum, which is interesting considering that he probably deserves more recognition now than he ever has. From a baseball-fan perspective, Lincecum has been stellar this season.

Onto the comparison at hand...isn't it a bit early? I mean, Lince has had about a season now to prove himself, and prove himself he has. Kershaw, at 20, has looked great so far, but his control has been a major issue. After his start last night, even Greg Maddux commented on how electric his stuff is, and how incredible that is considering his age.

All that I know is that, as a Dodger fan, I cannot wait to see the Kershaw/Billingsly vs. Lincecum/Cain rivalry blossom for years to come.

dodgernation
06-13-2008, 11:21 AM
for the next 2-3 years Lincecum. But in the long run Kershaw. kershaw is barely 20 and lincecum turns 24 in 2 days....

lincecum=future
06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
And this surprises you how...?

In their defense, since they blew the boards up about a month ago, they have quieted down some about Lincecum, which is interesting considering that he probably deserves more recognition now than he ever has. From a baseball-fan perspective, Lincecum has been stellar this season.

Onto the comparison at hand...isn't it a bit early? I mean, Lince has had about a season now to prove himself, and prove himself he has. Kershaw, at 20, has looked great so far, but his control has been a major issue. After his start last night, even Greg Maddux commented on how electric his stuff is, and how incredible that is considering his age.

All that I know is that, as a Dodger fan, I cannot wait to see the Kershaw/Billingsly vs. Lincecum/Cain rivalry blossom for years to come.

:cheers:

CAIN=FUTURE
06-14-2008, 12:45 PM
for the next 2-3 years Lincecum. But in the long run Kershaw. kershaw is barely 20 and lincecum turns 24 in 2 days....

And that proves what??? Its not like Lince is about to be 34. If that was the case you would have a point.

JAYZFAN9
06-14-2008, 01:45 PM
^ well son it proves that kershaw is 4 years younger

bidi_nash
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
lincecum because kershaw is too unproven but his curve is unreal so we'll see in a few years

djeller1139
06-14-2008, 04:46 PM
LINCECUM - he's already dominating at a major league level. We don't even know how Kershaw will pan out

CAIN=FUTURE
06-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Actully a Yankee fan started this thread.

My ansewer is LINCECUM!

sanfranfan1210
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Linecum

Ragun
07-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Linceum

good spliff
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Lincecum.

RedSoxRok34
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
we haven't seen enough of kershaw to really tell yet.

however, i did vote for kershaw, tho it's tough. stuff-wise i think they're about equal, but kershaw will get a slight edge due to being a southpaw