PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Divisions

Illini Tim
03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Once again I am going to steal from the main mlb forum but I want to know your opinions on this. How would you guys rank the divisions (in terms of strengths of teams) from both leagues? I was reading some of the responses from the main mlb forum and a lot of people had the AL Central ranked near the bottom, which I found absolutely crazy. Here are mine.

AL
1. Central
2. East
3. West

NL
1. East
2. West
3. Central

Overall
1. AL Central
2. AL East
3. NL East
4. AL West
5. NL West
6. NL Central

DaSox_05
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Yea I was reading that same forum in MLB and yes they had the AL Central towards the bottom which is insane. This is my order:

AL Central
AL East
NL West (Anyone of 4 teams could win this division D-backs, Rockies, Padres and Dodgers)
NL East
AL West
NL Central

I was almost tempted to put the NL West 2nd I think that division is very very good!!!!

whitesoxfan83
03-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Once again I am going to steal from the main mlb forum but I want to know your opinions on this. How would you guys rank the divisions (in terms of strengths of teams) from both leagues? I was reading some of the responses from the main mlb forum and a lot of people had the AL Central ranked near the bottom, which I found absolutely crazy. Here are mine.

AL
1. Central
2. East
3. West

NL
1. East
2. West
3. Central

Overall
1. AL Central
2. AL East
3. NL East
4. AL West
5. NL West
6. NL Central

that would be mine

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
NL West
AL East / AL Central (go ether way)
NL East
NL Central
AL West

DaSox_05
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
WSF83 & Illini Tim you guys are crazy to put AL West over the NL west only the Angels and Mariners are any good Texas and A's are terrible. There are 4 solid teams in the NL west that any of them could win that division.

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM

AL
1. Central
2. East
3. West

NL
1. East
2. West
3. Central

Overall
1. AL Central
2. AL East
3. NL East
4. AL West
5. NL West
6. NL Central

NL West 5 is insane

4 teams could possibly win the world series in that division, it is easily the best division in baseball.

AL West is the worst......

A great team in the Angels
A borderline wildcard team in the Mariners
And two god-awful terrible teams in the Rangers and Oakland

whitesoxfan83
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
true but i dont think any of the teams from the NL west could win the AL west

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
WSF83 & Illini Tim you guys are crazy to put AL West over the NL west only the Angels and Mariners are any good Texas and A's are terrible. There are 4 solid teams in the NL west that any of them could win that division.

BASTARD stole what I was gona say :(

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
true but i dont think any of the teams from the NL west could win the AL west

You could say that for ANY division

AL East - Boston
Central - Tigers
West - Angels

NL East - Mets
Central (only exception Cubs not dominant yet)

The NL West form top to bottom though has quality teams, excuse the Giants of course.

whitesoxfan83
03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
yes it does, once again i dont think the padres rockies dodgers or dbacks could win the AL West, sure it has more depth than the al west but just because the teams are all equal doesnt mean its a good division

everyone is equal in the nl central too, the reds wernt out of it until september last year just because the division is equal doesnt mean its good.

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
yes it does, once again i dont think the padres rockies dodgers or dbacks could win the AL West, sure it has more depth than the al west but just because the teams are all equal doesnt mean its a good division

everyone is equal in the nl central too, the reds wernt out of it until september last year just because the division is equal doesnt mean its good.

Yes it does in this case because they are all equally capable of making a serious playoff run, the Angels are the only one in the AL West able to make a serious playoff run.

NL West = 4 Playoff teams
AL West = 1 Playoff team

whitesoxfan83
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
alright the mariners are def a playoff team so its 2 not 1, and the fact the NL West has four potential playoff teams does matter, the NL central also has 4teams that could make the playoffs it doesnt mean the division is good it just means the teams are eqaul. the mariners or angels would easily win the NL West(if allowed the DH) and dont act like the west teams always make playoff runs. yes the rockies got hot last year and got to the WS and the Dbacks played in the NLCS, but it was the first time since 2002 that a team out of the NL west actually won in the first round. id rather take the two teams in the AL West over any of the four in the NL West to win the world series

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
alright the mariners are def a playoff team so its 2 not 1, and the fact the NL West has four potential playoff teams does matter, the NL central also has 4teams that could make the playoffs it doesnt mean the division is good it just means the teams are eqaul. the mariners or angels would easily win the NL West(if allowed the DH) and dont act like the west teams always make playoff runs. yes the rockies got hot last year and got to the WS and the Dbacks played in the NLCS, but it was the first time since 2002 that a team out of the NL west actually won in the first round. id rather take the two teams in the AL West over any of the four in the NL West to win the world series

The Mariners are NOT a playoff team IMO, there hitting is very very suspect and Bedard had a career year he may or may not repeat.

The NL West is not even close to the NL Central.....
EVERY team in the NL West is better or equal to its counterpart.

Cubs = D-Backs
Brewers = Dodgers, only one I MIGHT budge on, Dodgers rotation a little suspect.
Reds < Rockies
Astros < Padres
Pirates < Giants

Also consider the Rockies and Padres are better by WIDE margins.....

Yes 4 NL West teams are equal, with equal meaning they are ALL 90 win, playoff caliber teams.

Also consider the D-Backs and Rockies are on a HUGE upswing with the D-backs having Justin Upton and Tony Pena and the Rockies having Tulowitski, Corpas, Francis, and Jimeniez all improving.

The NL Central itself is not equal anyways, It is the Cubs, Brewers, and everyone else.

whitesoxfan83
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
im not saying the NL Central is equal, it isnt. the NL West has a lot of teams that can make the playoffs, so does the Central.

just because a lot of teams can come out of the same division doesnt mean the teams are good, and for the exception of last year the NL West has consistantly shown they suck in the playoffs. last year was the first time in MLB history two NL West teams were in the NLCS, its just a weak division IMO

i think we'll just have to agree to disagree

JDIsMyGod23
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Just skimming through this quick to have the NL West 5th is borderline mental.

AL Central
NL West
AL East
NL East
AL West
Japanese League
Cuban League
Little League
Tee-Ball
NL Central

redwhitenblue
03-05-2008, 10:36 PM

AL Central
NL West
AL East
NL East
AL West
Japanese League
Cuban League
Little League
Tee-Ball
NL Central
How is the AL West any better than the NL Central really?

JDIsMyGod23
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
How is the AL West any better than the NL Central really?

It was a joke.

redwhitenblue
03-05-2008, 10:45 PM
It was a joke.
No I know that much, I'm just saying in general the AL West is getting tons of love, but it's really pretty weak

soxtu22
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Overall....

AL EAST
AL CENTRAL
NL EAST
AL WEST
NL WEST
NL CENTRAL

SWISHER & PK TEARIN THE COVER OFF THE BALL......NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE :)

JDIsMyGod23
03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I think the people that say the NL West 5th are just east-coast biasing it. It really makes zero sense. Colorado is arguably 4th best in that division and the defending NL Champions. Especially, with Torre to the Dodgers, and Jones. SD's pitching is ridiculous, AZ might even be more ridiculous if Johnson is healthy. And well the Giants suck, but come on people! To me you could throw them the AL Central and AL East in a hat and pick, all have their strong points.

redwhitenblue
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I think the people that say the NL West 5th are just east-coast biasing it. It really makes zero sense. Colorado is arguably 4th best in that division and the defending NL Champions. Especially, with Torre to the Dodgers, and Jones. SD's pitching is ridiculous, AZ might even be more ridiculous if Johnson is healthy. And well the Giants suck, but come on people! To me you could throw them the AL Central and AL East in a hat and pick, all have their strong points.
You could also argue it's one of the weaker offensive divisions in recent history, but very pitching heavy

AZ will likely have a downfall, teams simply don't continue to succeed like they did by scoring less runs than they give up

JDIsMyGod23
03-05-2008, 10:59 PM
It's a question that is just for debate, there's no real answer to it. I could argue the NL Central is I wanted to. It'd probably suck, but it would be an argument nonetheless.

Telios9
03-05-2008, 11:01 PM
1. AL Central
2. AL East
3. NL East
4. AL West
5. NL West
6. NL Central

1-800-STFU
03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I think the NL Central is actually way better than the AL West :shrug:

The Angels are the ONLY team in the division.

The Mariners do not have the offense to compete, and Texas and Oakland are living jokes.

DaSox_05
03-06-2008, 09:49 AM

AL Central
NL West
AL East
NL East
AL West
Japanese League
Cuban League
Little League
Tee-Ball
NL Central

Dude you are my favorite poster in PSD. This post is both brilliant and hilarious im going to sig this.

JDIsMyGod23
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Dude you are my favorite poster in PSD. This post is both brilliant and hilarious im going to sig this.

"Just easing the tension baby easing the tension" - Chubbs Peterson

This quote really makes no sense, but I felt like saying it. Thanks by the way.

DaSox_05
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
"Just tap it in" "Go to your happy place" - Chubbs Peterson LOL...!!!

1-800-STFU
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
What about me? I am chulk full of hilarity.

Illini Tim
03-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Exactly. I think you are one of the only ones to understand the question and not confuse competitiveness with quality. A division can have four equally crappy teams but that does not mean it is a good division. Just because the division is internally competitive does not mean it is a quality division.

1-800-STFU
03-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Exactly. I think you are one of the only ones to understand the question and not confuse competitiveness with quality. A division can have four equally crappy teams but that does not mean it is a good division. Just because the division is internally competitive does not mean it is a quality division.

The Rockies, Dodgers, D-Backs, and Padres are NOT equally crappy.

They are equally potential 90 win teams, which makes it the deepest and best division in baseball.

Illini Tim
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM

How is the NL West doing these days?

JDIsMyGod23
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Stop reincarnating! :mad:

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Ouch.....!!!!! Im not the only one though everybody thought the NL West was going to be good this year.

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Its actually fun and interesting JD to see what was said before the season started.

Illini Tim
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I think we need another question that asks posters to rank something. It usually brings in good discussions. But I can't think of anything.

Illini Tim
07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Its actually fun and interesting JD to see what was said before the season started.

I agree. I loved looking through the CQ thread at the beginning of the season. Who would have called this type of production? With the exception of KW.

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Everybody was wrong in this forum as the divisions stand today I would have to say it goes like this.

AL East
NL Central
AL Central
NL East
AL West
NL West