PDA

View Full Version : Steal Of The Draft

Xx#1BallerxX
06-29-2005, 11:32 PM
There were alot of great players that slipped into the abyss of the late 1st and early 2nd round picks, but who do you think slipped really far away from where they deserved to get picked? So far that you would go them a steal for the team that decided to draft them. In my opinion the BIGGEST steal of the draft was Salim Stoudamire, who was selected 31st overall by the Atlanta Hawks. Who do you think was the biggest steal?

Sox_13
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
i was just going to come in here and say salim stoudamire. he is the best shooter in the draft, and he is a great penetrator. the only reason he got drafted in the second round is because of his height and attitude. he has the skills. i could also see ryan gomes becoming a good pro.

Xx#1BallerxX
06-30-2005, 12:10 AM
i was just going to come in here and say salim stoudamire. he is the best shooter in the draft, and he is a great penetrator. the only reason he got drafted in the second round is because of his height and attitude. he has the skills. i could also see ryan gomes becoming a good pro.
Yeah, I really think that Salim is a great talent, my other pick would be for Gerald Green.

Sox_13
06-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I really think that Salim is a great talent, my other pick would be for Gerald Green.
yeah he was an absolute steal for boston. i thought that portland was going to take him at six, but he really slipped due to his attitude. i think in time he will be a pretty damn good player.

Xx#1BallerxX
06-30-2005, 12:14 AM
yeah he was an absolute steal for boston. i thought that portland was going to take him at six, but he really slipped due to his attitude. i think in time he will be a pretty damn good player.
Yeah, I remember watching him during the HS All-American game, and I was really impressed with him, and Josh McRoberts.

ari1013
06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
I think Blatche at 49 was a very big steal. He's been predicted to go as high as late teens. Washington got a real steal there. Granger would be my other pick.

ShOwTiMe 15
06-30-2005, 01:44 AM
WAYNE SIMIEN to the MiA baby! at # 29 :cool: has top 10 potential if it wasnt for injuries!

KobesACorvette8
06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
My steal of the draft was Francisco Garcia, hes overlooked because all he can do is shoot. I love his dead eye from 3.

ajmal
06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
There were alot of great players that slipped into the abyss of the late 1st and early 2nd round picks, but who do you think slipped really far away from where they deserved to get picked? So far that you would go them a steal for the team that decided to draft them. In my opinion the BIGGEST steal of the draft was Salim Stoudamire, who was selected 31st overall by the Atlanta Hawks. Who do you think was the biggest steal?

no way is stoudamire a steal IMO because u guys generally look at the mocks and compare from what actually happened (ie. green, gragner, warrick). But salim stoudamire was really projected 35-45 in most mock drafts and he went ahead of others. Just as nate robinson was projected somewhere around 35-45 aswell and was drafted at 21 and ahead of jack and Ukric (or whatever his name is) who where supposed to go top 15. though i would have to agree that the 49th pic was a big steal along with the 41st and 42nd

jazz77
06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I think the Heat got a steal w/Simian, just b/c he seems like he'll fit in well there. I like the Jazz's 2nd rounder CJ Miles, especially if he decides to go to college, like he stated he would, he'll get a chance to improve, & the Jazz will still keep his rights when he declares again. :)

kwon
06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Gerald Green and Danny Granger

ari1013
06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
I think the Heat got a steal w/Simian, just b/c he seems like he'll fit in well there. I like the Jazz's 2nd rounder CJ Miles, especially if he decides to go to college, like he stated he would, he'll get a chance to improve, & the Jazz will still keep his rights when he declares again. :)
are you sure about that? I think he'll have to go through the draft again if he does that.

jazz77
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
are you sure about that? I think he'll have to go through the draft again if he does that.

I'm pretty sure they keep his rights for up to a year after he leaves college. It may be a moot point as it seems he is leaning towards going pro, if the Jazz will guarantee his contract.

fishfan79
06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
I like salim and think he is a good pick up. I like the heat kid too from what I have read about him. Except he said yesterday he is glad to be in miami so he could play with two super stars "Shaq and Kobe"

It wasnt a smooth introduction but was amusing to listen to repeated half a dozen times. Sorry wade seems we got kobe somehow instead :)

Seriously though I really didnt see any "terrible" picks in the draft, I am curious whom will have a good 1,2,3 years though and really developes. It looked to be a deep mid range draft, weak at the top unlike the past few years with James, Wade, Bosh, Anthony and then drop off.

ccugrad1
06-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I say Gerald Green to Boston at #18, especially when I saw mock drafts that had him going as high as #3 to Portland when they had the pick.

LAKERMANIA
06-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Gerald Green going 18 to the GREEN team

metsfreak
06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
I say Roko late in the second round to Toronto. He has 5 years of international experience and is a big point guard at 6'5''.

BoshRaptor
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
In the first round I would say Gerald Green and in the second round I would say Roko Ukic

ari1013
06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
In the first round I would say Gerald Green and in the second round I would say Roko Ukic
well at least you didn't go with your first pick :)

RapInsider
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
The steal of this draft is Roko Leni Ukic picked by Toronto with the 41st pick

Granger and Graham were really steals at where they went as well. Chris Paul will also be huge in NO in time, he should not have went 4th.

Green has bust written all over him, I wouldnt call that a steal for Boston

RapInsider
06-30-2005, 04:18 PM
well at least you didn't go with your first pick :)

While he wasnt a steal, he also wasnt a bad pick as many others make it out to be. He was supposed to go in the 5-13 range prior to the draft as the Bobcats absolutely loved him. He was high on the lakers charts as well. I think combined with Graham and Ukic we made out quite well in this draft, as all three were ranked in the top 16 prior to the draft.

ajmal
06-30-2005, 06:42 PM
i think the point of babcock was that if he let him go he might get drafted by new jersey (need of bigman) and also if u look at the draft the raptors started this domino of bigmen and those 3 players that where supposed to go 6,7,9,10, where right there at 16-19

why was korolev picked before those 3 players when he is averaging like 8ppg in european league (cmiiaw)

i also dont get how u can consider someone a steal when they just fall on ur lap?

green fell into bostons lap while he was not even scouted by them. dont give credit to the gm. Ukric (sp?) fell to the raptors lap. and so on. DOnt look at the mocks and say ohh look green went 15 spots then he was suppose to so that must be a steal.

In order for it to be a steal we would have to see what happens whe they actually play a season or two

ORobertson
07-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I wish the Lakers took Blatche at 39 instead of Vakeaton Wafer, we could of had a whole front court at or under 20 with mass hypothetical talent. Anyway I think Garnett Jr could be a steal at 49, I think he has star potential if things work out for him and he works hard. Although Von Wafer could be good too.

superkegger
12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
The steal of this draft is Roko Leni Ukic picked by Toronto with the 41st pick

Granger and Graham were really steals at where they went as well. Chris Paul will also be huge in NO in time, he should not have went 4th.

Green has bust written all over him, I wouldnt call that a steal for Boston

It's funny, looking back you were so wrong and so right.

No one can predict the future, but this kind of stuff just cacks me up hardcore.

jimbobjarree
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
freaking Paul Millsap at 46 or whatever we got him at...hero

superkegger
12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Gerald Green, Roko Ukic and Salim Stoudamire.

Considered steals at the time.

Now? :laugh:

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
freaking Paul Millsap at 46 or whatever we got him at...hero

There's a better example. Many Ginobilli, 57 in the 1999 Draft, and Tony Parker 28th in the 2001 NBA draft. George Hill is starting to fit the mold of a steal at 28 in the 2008 Draft.

Mane
12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Blatche was a pretty big steal.

Testaverde16
12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
this is hysterical.... i used to love Salim in college too, but never thought he'd be more of than a shooter off the bench in the pros... turned out that was right, if he even is a good shooter off the bench. I was also high on Green, but he really just didn't do much.

Bynum didn't count as a steal right, being a top 10 pick, but that seemed to work out.

Nexus
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Calderon, signed undrafted by the Raps.

Granger at 17

Lakers with Bynum at 10 and Turiaf at 37.

Pistons got Maxiell at 26 and Amir Johnson at 56. Their front court would be suffering without their two picks in that draft.

Paul behind Bogut, Marvin Williams and Deron Williams. Interesting draft.

DrDEADalready
12-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah for us it would be Paul millsap. it was 2nd round something. He'd def get picked higher now. I hope he stays with us forever Muahahaha!!!!

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Calderon, signed undrafted by the Raps.

Granger at 17

Lakers with Bynum at 10 and Turiaf at 37.

Pistons got Maxiell at 26 and Amir Johnson at 56. Their front court would be suffering without their two picks in that draft.

Paul behind Bogut, Marvin Williams and Deron Williams. Interesting draft.

Bynum was an unknown, out of shape former All american highschooler. The Lakers took him at ten based on potential. That was viewed as a reach by a lot of journalists at the time. He's still growing as a player. Caron Butler falling to ten when he was predicted to be a top 5 pick is a freefall.

24>23
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Gerald Green was a steal at 18?? Did I miss something here? I'd have to say Manu Ginobili is the steal of all steals in the draft. He was almost Mr. Irrelevant, and now he's an all-star. Josh Howard was a decent pick too, if he could ever put the weed down and close his mouth.

Knowledge
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Lou Williams-45 overall pick

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Gerald Green was a steal at 18?? Did I miss something here? I'd have to say Manu Ginobili is the steal of all steals in the draft. He was almost Mr. Irrelevant, and now he's an all-star. Josh Howard was a decent pick too, if he could ever put the weed down and close his mouth.

Howard is definitely another nice steal. Coming out of Wake Forest he should have at least been at the 15 pick area.

cali72888
12-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Anthony Randolph at #14 this kid has major potential he can be a shut down defender and a great scorer, its only a matter of time before he is an everyday starter.

NYMetros
12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Granger was a huge steal.

MilfHunter07
12-11-2008, 04:07 PM
How about SUPER MARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amwpr86
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I think Rudy Fernandez was. I bet the suns wish they could have kept him.

xanderyear
12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Being that this thread was made in 05, definitely have to have Granger at the top. I'm seriously wondering how he fell to 17. I bet a lot of teams are regretting passing him up because of knee injuries that have yet to hurt him in the NBA.

The Answer3
12-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Mario Chalmers.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Ginoboli at 57. Redd at 44. Van Exel at 37. Laimbeer at 65th pick (3rd round), Kobe Bryant at 13. These are big ones