PDA

View Full Version : Rollie Bollie

black_ink
02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Does anybody play the game rollie bollie or have even seen it played? Its pretty big in West Central Illinois and I think parts of Minnesota. Its a Belgium game and I was wondering if any other parts of the country have heard of it.

Its a cross between horseshoes and i guess bowling....with a small round shaped wood/rubber bollie.

Stapes51
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Are you talking about Boche Ball?

black_ink
02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
no, its not boche ball. its more like playing horseshoes with a round shaped thing and the goal is to get the bollie closest to the stake. There are two stakes about 16' (?) apart and the game goes back n forth.

JimmyMal450
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
So it's like a mix between boche and horseshoes??

black_ink
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
i suppose. more horseshoes than anything though. probably the coolest non-famous game. you can drink while you play and i've seen guys with oxygen tanks hooked up to them playing. the average age has to be over at least 45. i'm in my early 20's and its rare to see anybody younger. some places have it where there is over 8 courts that can be played on at one time. people play it in their basements during the winter and will play a buck a game or even higher wages (kinda like playing cards once a week).

Ruffian949
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
It's actually spelled "Rolle Bolle" (makes it easier to find info on with this spelling) and in the summer time there are usually games played once a week in some of the small local towns. For those of you who are curious as to what a bolle looks like here is a link to a Canadian page that sells them: http://www.geocities.com/belgianbowling/infoprice.html?200915

As for other loactions that play the game, well I've heard that there might be some who play in South Bend, but haven't confirmed or actually see any info on this as I recently moved to In.

Sport
03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Never heard of it, but it sounds fun. I like any game that you can play in the summer with some buds, beer in hand.

CADRollieBollie
05-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi,

My name is Stu and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We have Rollie Bollie here in Winnipeg at the Belgium Club and I play every Tuesday night. There's a couple of small towns in Manitoba that engage in this sport and there are tournaments in the summer. Belgium bowling goes hand in hand with a few cold ones here in Manitoba.

rhaverback
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The World Champoinship's are held in Annawan, IL during the summer!! Love the game and you have to have a cold one while playing!!

woodsyallen
05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
In high school (1970) a friend had a trunk full of wood bollies. on Sunday afternoons a group of us would go to the local ball diamond in Victor, Iowa and play Rollie Bollie. I have described it the same as you (cross between bowling and horseshoes), I think that describes it very well. I was told there was a bar in Belle Plaine, Ia with a dirt floor in the basement where they play. The way we played required a 12 oz counter weight in the opposite hand. Now the New Belgian Brewery in Fort Collins, Co has a beer named Rollie Bollie. If anyone knows where I can purchase a wood Bollie I would like to know. I believe they were about 6" in diameter and about 3" wide with a slight taper so they would curve.