PDA

View Full Version : Tony Allen

cocossox
02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I own up to it, when I am wrong and boy was I when it comes to TA, this guy is really good, time for me to give him his props...now if only Perkins would do the same, the jury still out on Perkins so far I don't see much from Perkins but everybody loves him, I don't get why but thats me...so how good do u guys think Tony Allen can be?

Corey
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Depends on if he's going to get a starting role, or if he's going to be a super-sub type player (ala Manu, but not THAT good). I could see him getting re-signed, and playing for a long period of time here, and eventually work his way to the starting line after Ray Allen retires/takes a lesser role.

Tony Allen has the talent to be a very good player in this league, in my opinion.

sugarrayray
02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
i think tony will become a pretty solid player but i definitely agree perk has to step up big, hes way too inconsistent, and he doesnt ever look like hes playing with any heart, if he brought it every night that would be fantastic

Corey
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
i think tony will become a pretty solid player but i definitely agree perk has to step up big, hes way too inconsistent, and he doesnt ever look like hes playing with any heart, if he brought it every night that would be fantastic

Odd. I seem to think the exact opposite. I always viewed Perkins as a team-first hustle player who tries to play as hard as possible all the time.

tonyd3b54
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
perkins has stepped it up this year...hes up 3ppg and is shooting 59% up from last years 49%...he also been a good shot blocker...

sugarrayray
02-21-2008, 11:35 PM
hes shooting such a high percent because all his shots are when kg is double teamed, he also plays soft and with his body should be averaging way more rebounds a game than 5 no question

rufo4100
02-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Odd. I seem to think the exact opposite. I always viewed Perkins as a team-first hustle player who tries to play as hard as possible all the time.

I agree, Perk plays with a ton of passion. Probably right behind Pierce and Garnett in that department.

As for Tony Allen I think he is finally starting to play as if he doesnt have his knee injury in the back of his mind. He seemed very tentative for the first part of the season and only in the past month has he finally started to get comfortable again..IMO.

Suszynski88
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Tony Allen is the future of Celtics !! I have no doubt 'bout dis !! He will be THE Man !!

BTownTeamsRKing
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
TA = a bigger Larry Hughes in the making

Stengths: very athletic, Perimeter Defense, Rebounding, Slashing to the basket

Things he needs to work on: Shooting can get a lot better, Basketball IQ, consistency

I'll say one more thing about him. i dk how good he will really be, but to me he is the most fun to watch on the team.

69centers
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Things he needs to work on: Shooting can get a lot better, Basketball IQ, consistency

I'll say one more thing about him. i dk how good he will really be, but to me he is the most fun to watch on the team.

His IQ is the biggest thing he needs to work on. The rest are pretty much all there. Hopefully, this long year and playoff run will make him stronger in that area.

As far as Perk, I think his flow went with the rest of the team. Through preseason and the first dozen games, everyone's intensity was at an all time high. The entire team's went down, and so did Perk's. His minutes seem to have gone down lately, so he may be a little bummed about all the Powe and Big Baby minutes, and also Posey usually getting the call to close out games for his D.

Hopefully, everyone's intensity will be back where it was come playoff time, and hopefully at a higher level than we've seen yet.

vince wilfort
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree that he needs to work on his consistency and basketball IQ. We saw last year how good he can be when he gets it all together.

As for Perkins, I think some people really under-appreciate him. He's one of the strongest centers in the league, which makes him very good defensively. On offense, you can criticize him, but when KG has played this season, he has opened up shots for Perk, so the Celtics are a very good system for him.

And he's still pretty young, since he came right out of high school.

ChrisC-EIT
02-23-2008, 03:13 AM

The garbage I read on this board never ceases to amaze me. Larry Hughes was getting an easy 20ppg at age 21. He continued getting an easy (and I stress EASY) 15ppg for years after that.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Annnnnnnnnd?

Good to know, I mean TA being the most fun to watch. Ahead of Rondo, Pierce or even KG? Gosh. The things he needs to work on should have been worked on ten years ago.

He'll only ever be as good as he is now. Or - does anyone want to show some string of players, or even one(?) who made their NBA breakthrough to the All-Star Game at 27? Or, even, to eventual average, we talk about him all the time star level - like Mike Miller?

I like Tony Allen. He's 26. He'll turn 27 next season. He scores 8ppg. His shooting numbers are nice, but does he get minutes ahead of Ray Allen between now and the end of next season? He's a role player in this league - nothing more.

Roadbuilder
02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
ChrisC-EIT...save what you have writen and I want you to pull it out in two years. Tony will be a 15 ppg scorer and our second best defender.

69centers
02-23-2008, 01:16 PM
It's TA's 4th year and I just don't see his consistency and IQ at a level where a 4th year player's should really be. He still does some of the same things he did in his 2nd year. Since the C's were bad the past few years, he's also gotten a lot more minutes than some other 4th year guys would get, and he still needs improvement.

Corey
02-23-2008, 03:04 PM
It's TA's 4th year and I just don't see his consistency and IQ at a level where a 4th year player's should really be. He still does some of the same things he did in his 2nd year. Since the C's were bad the past few years, he's also gotten a lot more minutes than some other 4th year guys would get, and he still needs improvement.

I suppose you don't recall the level at which he was playing before his injury last year?

Roadbuilder
02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Does anyone forget that he has lost two year. Now I will admitt that he make some stupid plays and does things that make me want to kick my TV, but to tell you the truth....So does Paul P. I know that there is a lot of People that put a lot of stock in the Basketball IQ, but what people forget is that Scal is suppose to have one as high as Larry Bird. Which player would you want on the floor? Tony is a Hard Nose player and that is as important as the IQ.....I think that in about two years when Ray Allan starts to slow down Tony will be our full time starter. I think the last half of this year you will see the best of Tony.

Corey
02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Does anyone forget that he has lost two year. Now I will admitt that he make some stupid plays and does things that make me want to kick my TV, but to tell you the truth....So does Paul P. I know that there is a lot of People that put a lot of stock in the Basketball IQ, but what people forget is that Scal is suppose to have one as high as Larry Bird. Which player would you want on the floor? Tony is a Hard Nose player and that is as important as the IQ.....I think that in about two years when Ray Allan starts to slow down Tony will be our full time starter. I think the last half of this year you will see the best of Tony.

Thank you. Everyone else (not really everyone, but you get my point) seems to think he's gotten a lot more -playing time- than he actually has.

69centers
02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I suppose you don't recall the level at which he was playing before his injury last year?

I watched the C's last year and he was averaging in double figures on a bad team, and his turnovers were high. A lot of his careless playing was there, and still is now.

I think the injury and rehab time should have helped him watch games and also pick up some more understanding of the game. I'm not sure why you say he lost 2 years, as while he may not have played a full season, he played in a decent number of games every year since he's been in the league. He still played 33 games the year he was injured.

Roadbuilder
02-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Watching Film?......If watching film was all that it took to get better in the NBA then all of us should be getting ready for next years Draft.

69centers
02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
I meant watching games from the bench. Live games, not film. Hearing the players, the coaches, and observing the games as they unfold.

CELTICS4LYFE
02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Tony "the assassin" allen!!!! haha he is a real good player one of my favs on the team....but i dont think he will ever b a all star

ChrisC-EIT
02-25-2008, 02:04 AM
ChrisC-EIT...save what you have writen and I want you to pull it out in two years. Tony will be a 15 ppg scorer and our second best defender.

Is that before, or after, the Celtics trade Ray Allen as an expiring contract? You raise a good question though - who's the better defender on the Celtics in two years?

I think people like you completely misunderstand the way that professional sports and the NBA works. Are you trying to tell me that at 28 years old that Tony Allen will all of a sudden turn into something more than a valuable role player for the Celtics?

No need for me to save my posts - it'll live here on prosportsdaily.com until they delete it. Here's my first post - check it out. Not bad, really, if I do say so myself.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15289&postcount=1

Okay, we get it. You don't just like Tony Allen - you LOVE HIM!

Since when is Scalabrine mentioned in the same sentence as Larry Bird, except in trade scenarios to the Pacers? You're crazy, dude.

Tony Allen is a nice player - but guess what? His contract is up at the end of this year. I won't pretend to be in his mind or Danny Ainge's, but if he gets a nice offer from another team, I have a tough time seeing the Celtics matching any offer over 3 years, if they could. Let's say for instance - another team offers him 5 years - 28 million this offseason - do the Celtics match, again, I have to ask, if they can? If this is a guy who offers 15ppg to anyone, wouldn't that be the offer he could expect?

ChrisC-EIT
02-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Double post. Sorry.

edit:

instead of your average garbage double post that this was back on February 24...

Anyone still on the Tony Allen bandwagon, even after the alley-oop?

Seriously, C'mon!

ChrisC-EIT
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM

I laughed when I first read this - and I'm giggling now. I know - it's only one year, but seriously - do you really think TA is good for 15ppg in another year? How about three or four years, if it helps?

MilledgeGomez
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I think Perk is doing fine. Like Doc said Perks role is to defend, block shots, rebound and finish on pick and roles and Perk has done all that pretty well this year.

bagwell368
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Jan 10th 2007, that's the night I had a birthday at the TD BankNorth, and the day Tony Allen's NBA career was cut down - MCL/ACL. Cut down in length, cut down in explosiveness (which he did have), cut down in scope. If he is your 9th guy, you have a great team. He will never start - unless its for a 13 win team...

Oh well, next time don't be a showoff when its not needed.