PDA

View Full Version : I am so excited about Indians baseball right now!

EdTheRevelator
02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
It's for no apparent reason, but our pen SHOULD be sick this year, if Perez is for real. If Fausto can come somewhere close to 2007 numbers then the rotation should be good too - Westbrook should be better (and not hurt) and we won't be wasting starts on ineffective Cliff Lee or Jeremy Sowers. Hafner can't be as bad as he was last year - and he was still decent.

So the other teams got better and Cleveland sat on its hands. We still have a good team. There's reason for hope. I know I'm pumped for spring training!

IndiansFan337
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
It's for no apparent reason, but our pen SHOULD be sick this year, if Perez is for real. If Fausto can come somewhere close to 2007 numbers then the rotation should be good too - Westbrook should be better (and not hurt) and we won't be wasting starts on ineffective Cliff Lee or Jeremy Sowers. Hafner can't be as bad as he was last year - and he was still decent.

So the other teams got better and Cleveland sat on its hands. We still have a good team. There's reason for hope. I know I'm pumped for spring training!

I am very excited too. We have a great team, and the good news is that many of our players are not likely to regress this season. Martinez is probably our only hitter whom you can say had a career year last season. And I would not expect a big drop off from him either.

The SP's on the other hand, could possibly drop off. If Sabathia gets injured once again or if Carmona hits a sophomore(2nd yr in rotation) slump, we could be in trouble. And those are probably two of the Indians only realistic worries going into this season.

I agree, having Perez at the back end of the 'pen for a full season surely will help the pitching staff though.

bigalow80
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
the one nice thing and i am sure the indians are considering this is b/c the pitching staff is so deep potentially going to a 6 man rotation and not pushing carmona. he is the biggest worry b/c he pitched soooo many innings last year. the same could be said for perez but hopefully the addition of the japanese pitcher eases his burden.

duncky1188
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I am excited for baseball. I can't wait to have weeks full of good baseball. Especially Indians baseball.

Sacco111
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't wait for the season or even spring training to start. I look at these forums everyday to just get a little taste. Another good site for baseball is www.mlbtraderumors.com

I would have like to seen the Indians add one productive core player in the offseason but we still have a great squad.

Here are few things that concern me:
A. Assuming a 25 man roster and we carry 11 pitchers. That means we have 4 bench players. See who gets left out:
1. Shoppach
2. Marte (out of options)
3. barfield (out of options)
4. Carroll
5. Either Dellucci or Michaels
- That means Gutierrez and Francisco have no chance on making the roster. I'd like to see us get rid of Dynamic Duo listed in #5.

B. Starting Rotation
1. Sabathia
2. Carmona
3. Westbrook
4. Byrd
5. Lee, Sowers, Laffey, + go deeper with Miller, & Lofgren

I like the dilema for the #5 because it means we have depth. But how come there is no trade market for Lee? Cheap lefty. I heard Sowers fixed his mechanics and is back to throwing 88-91mph. It's going to be an interesting issue on what to do with the bullpen if Sowers, Laffey and Lee all make the team leaving only 4 more bullpen spots left. If you look at the arms in there, someone is going to be the odd man out. Lee, Laffey or Sowers?

Sacco111
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't wait for the season or even spring training to start. I look at these forums everyday to just get a little taste. Another good site for baseball is www.mlbtraderumors.com

I would have like to seen the Indians add one productive core player in the offseason but we still have a great squad.

A. Assuming a 25 man roster and we carry 11 pitchers. That means we have 4 bench players. See who gets left out:
1. Shoppach
4. Carroll
- That means Gutierrez and Francisco have no chance on making the roster. I'd like to see us get rid of Dynamic Duo listed in #5.

B. Starting Rotation
1. Sabathia
2. Carmona
3. Westbrook
4. Byrd
5. Lee, Sowers, Laffey, + go deeper with Miller, & Lofgren

I like the dilema for the #5 because it means we have depth. But how come there is no trade market for Lee? Cheap lefty. I heard Sowers fixed his mechanics and is back to throwing 88-91mph. It's going to be an interesting issue on what to do with the bullpen if Sowers, Laffey and Lee all make the team leaving only 4 more bullpen spots left. If you look at the arms in there, someone is going to be the odd man out. Lee, Laffey or Sowers?

Sorry, I meant 5 bench players. See above.

Jpripper88
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I meant 5 bench players. See above.

Umm also, at least 2 of Guitierrez, Michaels and Dellucci will make the team. Really all three will and Barfield (who has options) will most likely be sent down. Either that or Marte will get traded. However, chances are that someone is hurt and starts the year on the DL and we get to give someone a shot early before a decision is made.

Sacco111
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Umm also, at least 2 of Guitierrez, Michaels and Dellucci will make the team. Really all three will and Barfield (who has options) will most likely be sent down. Either that or Marte will get traded. However, chances are that someone is hurt and starts the year on the DL and we get to give someone a shot early before a decision is made.

I'm almost positive Barfield is out of options.

IndiansFan337
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
1. Shoppach
4. Carroll

Barfield is NOT out of options.

So, aside from an untimely injury, he will be heading to Buffalo out of ST this season.

Jpripper88
02-07-2008, 11:01 PM

he isn't

Sacco111
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
he isn't

You are right. My mistake. I guess Gutierrez can make the team. I still would like to see us get rid of the dynamic duo though (michaels and Dellucci). Next year I guess.

IndiansFan337
02-08-2008, 04:21 PM
You are right. My mistake. I guess Gutierrez can make the team. I still would like to see us get rid of the dynamic duo though (michaels and Dellucci). Next year I guess.

We all would probably like for that to happen, but no other team wants those guys with their guaranteed contracts. And I don't blame them.

There guaranteed contracts are the only reason they will be given roster spots ahead of Gutierrez/Francisco.

bigalow80
02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
i have a hunch barfield ends up in buffalo along with miller (both will be re-called throughout the year). it might be in the best interet of the tribe to eat one of the delluci/michaels contracts to open up a roster spot for another young player such as francisco or choo.

EdTheRevelator
09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
So much promise... all for naught.:pity:

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
So much promise... all for naught.:pity:

I look at being .500 a very good thing. Especially what has happened throughout the season.

EdTheRevelator
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I look at being .500 a very good thing. Especially what has happened throughout the season.

As do I. But at the start of the season, we were talking Series. Not playoffs. World Series. And we fell way short of that goal. Which is a shame.

IndiansFan337
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
As do I. But at the start of the season, we were talking Series. Not playoffs. World Series. And we fell way short of that goal. Which is a shame.

We just have to hope that we can rebound. We aren't thinking as highly going into next season now after being humbled. Not to mention the major loss of CC. So maybe we can sneak up on some people next year, just as we did in '07?

duncky1188
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I actually have high expectations for us next year. I think we should be able to win the Central and close to 95 games.