PDA

View Full Version : Farm Systems....

WiscoSports
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
How would you rank the Farm systems of all the Teams right now?

laxtonto
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Top 5 is pretty easy
TB

then a second teir of NYY, Bos, Tex, and Cin

Same for the Bottom...
Hou, CHW, and Det can all fight out or the bottom

aroy025
01-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Top 5 is pretty easy
TB

Same for the Bottom...

Detroit did destroy its farm system to get Willis, Cabrera, and Renteria, but they still have Porcello...him alone should keep them out of the bottom 3.

Humongo
02-02-2008, 05:46 AM
1 player keeping a team from the bottom? I doubt that.

And it's really impossible for a poster on here to rank all the farm systems, since they're so extensive and subjective, and alot of posters don't even know their own team's farm that well.

boston rocks
02-02-2008, 05:56 AM
tampa by far since their whole team is basically AAAA
redsox
yankees
cinci
tex

kyubi256
02-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Mets should be close to the bottom because outside of FMart, not much else... but we can always rebuild it by signing international guys or drafting with those 3 first rounders

nickymintz
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Best- Tampa Bay
Worse- Houston
Rising- Baltimore

Pujolsfan91
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Tampa Bay has the best.. since they suck every year. I'd say houston has the worst.. they have an absolutely terrible farm system.

WhyDuquette
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Rays
Reds
Dodgers
Red Sox
Yanks

top 5

nyyfan4life
02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Yea those seem fair ^^^

nyyfan4life
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
The Rangers, IMO, have the most improved farm system. They have a lot of top-tier talent.

ThreeIfBaerga
02-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Dodgers are not a Top 5 system.

Cheesyhoboe
03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
IMO Tex farm system is overrated. Lots of talent but none of it is anywhere near the majors.

zzConflict
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
IMO Tex farm system is overrated. Lots of talent but none of it is anywhere near the majors.

And how does that make it overrated? Talent is talent, why does it matter how close it is?

jetsfan89
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM

that was a very smart post

SJ5382
03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Top 5 is pretty easy
TB

Same for the Bottom...
Let's be fair, the Mets need to be part of the discussion!

For the worst.

BALLER71
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
What about the Marlins?

Gigantes4Life
03-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Rays, Angels, Red Sox, Rangers and the Reds.

Off the top of my head I guess :shrug:

iam brett favre
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
i think farm systems are overrated, whats the point in trying to win in 3 years, if you have the chance to win now?

zzConflict
03-08-2008, 11:17 AM
i think farm systems are overrated, whats the point in trying to win in 3 years, if you have the chance to win now?

Good farm systems are essential for small market teams if they're to win, as a Yankee fan you may not be able to appreciate that though.

Gigantes4Life
03-08-2008, 06:37 PM

That's part of the attitude that's got you guys in the "8 year curse."

WiscoSports
03-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Good farm systems are essential for small market teams if they're to win, as a Yankee fan you may not be able to appreciate that though.

Exactly, small market teams like the Brewers have to thrive off there farm system. We have home grown a lot of our best talent on the Major League team right now

Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Braun, Sheets, Gallardo, Hardy, pretty much the core of the team which then Melvin proceeded to fill in the holes. The key is to have a guy that knows how to spot talent like Jack Z as your scounting director. Things are looking up for Milwaukee because of our farm system.

OnWisconsin2007
06-29-2008, 11:09 PM
You have to include Milwaukee because our system has produced most of our starters. Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hall, Gallardo, Parra, Sheets, Villanueva, Braun, Hart, and there's a few guys in the minors that are supposed to be great, as well, in Mat Gamel, Escobar, and LaPorta. Nobody outside of a WI sports fan know about the Brewers farm system, which is pretty lame. It's not all about buying your players, like Cubs or Yankees.

The A Team
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM
What about the Marlins?

Marlins are middle of the pack.

And to the 2 Brewers fans above, it's not about whose system has produced the most impact major league guys for them, it's about whose system is most packed with goodies. By your measure the Phillies would be up there having produced Rollins, Utley, Howard, Burrell, Victorino, Hamels, etc, but they're really a middling farm system.

bosox3431
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Overrated? Personally I love the talent the Sox have brought up through the farm, especially starting pitchers. Not only will we likely not have to shell out a ton of money for a Sabthia or Sheets next year or anytime soon, with the exception of resiging Beckett maybe, that moneycan be used for when Papi and Manny are no longer able to produe like they have. And I think the Yankees are starting to see it this way to, which is why they refused to trade a handful of very good prospects for one guy. Dont get me wrong I wish they would have, but from the Yankees standpoint it was a good decision. And all the talk about the Yankees signing Tex and Sabthia, I will be very surprised to see that, I myself believe the Yankees are taking a new direction in the way they build a team.

bosox3431
07-01-2008, 04:38 PM
You have to include Milwaukee because our system has produced most of our starters. Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hall, Gallardo, Parra, Sheets, Villanueva, Braun, Hart, and there's a few guys in the minors that are supposed to be great, as well, in Mat Gamel, Escobar, and LaPorta. Nobody outside of a WI sports fan know about the Brewers farm system, which is pretty lame. It's not all about buying your players, like Cubs or Yankees.

All the talent they DID produce is great, but when ranking current systems, you dont get to include all those guys, they're no longer prospects.

brewersfan729
07-02-2008, 03:56 AM
All the talent they DID produce is great, but when ranking current systems, you dont get to include all those guys, they're no longer prospects.

Yeah now we only have Matt LaPorta, Mat Gamel, Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, Zach Braddock, Michael Brantley, Cole Gillespie, Angel Salome, Cody Adams, Evan Frederickson, Jake Odorizzi, Jonathan LuCroy, Taylor Green, Lorenzo Cain, Brad Nelson, Luis Pena, Omar Aguilar and Rob Bryson among others, as well as the likely signings of Seth Lintz and Brett Lawrie.

We're certainly hurting for talent in the farm system.:rolleyes:

quiksilver2491
07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah now we only have Matt LaPorta, Mat Gamel, Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, Zach Braddock, Michael Brantley, Cole Gillespie, Angel Salome, Cody Adams, Evan Frederickson, Jake Odorizzi, Jonathan LuCroy, Taylor Green, Lorenzo Cain, Brad Nelson, Luis Pena, Omar Aguilar and Rob Bryson among others, as well as the likely signings of Seth Lintz and Brett Lawrie.

We're certainly hurting for talent in the farm system.:rolleyes:

Anyone can name off their teams top 20 prospects, thats really not that impressive. Im not saying the Brewers don't produce quality talent and don't have some in the minors, your just not supporting your case by naming people.

Joba Rules!!
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
BA has it:
Rays
Red Sox
Reds
Rangers
Yanks
Dodgers
Rockies
Braves
Nationals
Angels
Mariners
Padres
Cardinals
Marlins
Diamondbacks
Orioles
Mets (Before the Santana deal I'm pretty sure)
Twins
Indians
Cubs
Brewers
Phillies
Giants
Royals
Jays
Pirates
A's
White Sox
Tigers
Astros

brewersfan729
07-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Anyone can name off their teams top 20 prospects, thats really not that impressive. Im not saying the Brewers don't produce quality talent and don't have some in the minors, your just not supporting your case by naming people.

There is very likely four top 100 prospects in that list (LaPorta easily top 20, Gamel around 30, Jeffress around 45 and Escobar around 60) and the possibility of another (Salome who is a fringe top 100 guy) and depending on how the debuts of some of our newly drafted prospects go there could be even more (Lawrie, Odorizzi, Frederickson etc.)

GIANT4LIFE
07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
keith law said ginats have a top 5 farm system.

Bumgardner
Alderson
Villalona (international)
Mateo (international)
Rodriguez (internatioanl)
posey (not signed yet)
Gillipsie (not signed yet)
scherholtz
noonan
burris
sandoval
fairley
sosa

thats a pretty good farm system. not to mention cain and lincecum and sanchez who are 23 and 24.

lincecum=future
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
keith law said ginats have a top 5 farm system.

Bumgardner
Alderson
Villalona (international)
Mateo (international)
Rodriguez (internatioanl)
posey (not signed yet)
Gillipsie (not signed yet)
scherholtz
noonan
burris
sandoval
fairley
sosa

thats a pretty good farm system. not to mention cain and lincecum and sanchez who are 23 and 24.

Well we have a much improved farm system but the problem is that most of those players are in single A. When they start moving up in the minors thye will get more recognition.

papipapsmanny
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
BAs list is good but they have the orioles too low

The Orioles have, tillman, Arietta, Spoone, Erbe, Beato, Liz, Rowell, Reimold, Snyder, Patton, and Weiters

and now they will add matsuz

GHGHCP
07-04-2008, 03:13 PM
BA has it:
Rays
Red Sox
Reds
Rangers
Yanks
Dodgers
Rockies
Braves
Nationals
Angels
Mariners
Padres
Cardinals
Marlins
Diamondbacks
Orioles
Mets (Before the Santana deal I'm pretty sure)
Twins
Indians
Cubs
Brewers
Phillies
Giants
Royals
Jays
Pirates
A's
White Sox
Tigers
Astros

List seems outdated.

C-ross12
07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
BAs list is good but they have the orioles too low

The Orioles have, tillman, Arietta, Spoone, Erbe, Beato, Liz, Rowell, Reimold, Snyder, Patton, and Weiters

and now they will add matsuz

Pretty exciting names there. Cant wait to see Reimold play. Does he project to hae 30 hr power or? I know his plate patience is very good. Just thinking of a Reimold / Scott platoon just SCREAMS production.. Althought they should both probably be FT players. Althought Scott isn't quite as effective against lefties.

Joba Rules!!
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
List seems outdated.

A tiny bit...it was before the:

O's deal with Bedard
Twins deal with Santana
Tigers deals with the Fish and the Braves

It's from February 2008.

WiscoSports
07-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah I would say that list is outdated. The Brewers imo have a top 5 minors again with blue chips in the higher levels and very good depth in the lower levels.

Gamel, Escobar, Jeffress, Braddock, Lawrie, Salome, Green, Brantley, Lucroy, Friedrickson.

The Brewers farm is deep. It does have a weakness right now in pitching but the Brewers have addressed that by taking a ton of pitchers in the last draft.
With the likes of Odorizzi, Lintz, Friedrickson.

You will be seeing the Brewers on top of the lists often in the coming years, especially if Jack Z stays with the Brewers.

blujaysrock
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
rays, and phillies ,,

Humongo
07-25-2008, 12:27 AM
rays, and phillies ,,

Phillies have an absolutely terrible farm.

Rays, A's and Rangers are the top 3. After that, there's a bit of a drop off.

1-800-STFU
07-25-2008, 05:25 PM
White Sox have one of the worst :(

Aaron Podera is the only guy with a chance to be really good.

Joba Rules!!
07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
White Sox have one of the worst :(

Aaron Podera is the only guy with a chance to be really good.

Isn't that Lance Broadway dude good?

MarlinsBaseball
07-26-2008, 11:33 PM
no love for the marlins i think they could fit into top 5
GO MARLINS

Joba Rules!!
07-27-2008, 12:17 AM
no love for the marlins i think they could fit into top 5
GO MARLINS

BA has them at 14 in the pre-season rankings sooooo no.

ugafan
07-27-2008, 01:33 AM
I wish the Braves didn't trade for Teixeira, we would be top 3 easily, Andrus is now top 15, and Saltalamacchia was top 10 last year.

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
phillies definetly have the best farm system

aha SIKE

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
braves basically gave up their system to rent teixera and not win anything

championmets
09-02-2008, 01:05 AM
From Rotoworlds Ranking the A's have ten guys in the top 150 prospects

arkanian215
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
How would you rank the Farm systems of all the Teams right now?

id say the mets have the worst farm system right now. f-mart is probably our best prospect and even he looks two years away from contributing consistently.

arkanian215
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I wish the Braves didn't trade for Teixeira, we would be top 3 easily, Andrus is now top 15, and Saltalamacchia was top 10 last year.

salty wouldn't count since he's not even a rookie any more.

arkanian215
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Dodgers are not a Top 5 system.

well they wouldve been last year if they hadnt brought a bunch of them up. laroche is gone. kemp is in the majors. kershaw has already pitched in the majors and he was their top rated prospect last year.

viktor06
10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
id say the mets have the worst farm system right now. f-mart is probably our best prospect and even he looks two years away from contributing consistently.

No way...it surely isnt top 10 or top 15, but it is in top 20...Astros have a much, much worse system

cmstophe
10-09-2008, 11:26 AM
well they wouldve been last year if they hadnt brought a bunch of them up. laroche is gone. kemp is in the majors. kershaw has already pitched in the majors and he was their top rated prospect last year.

They traded some prospects to the Indians too, including a great catching prospect in Santana.

Hermie13
10-09-2008, 01:51 PM
No way...it surely isnt top 10 or top 15, but it is in top 20...Astros have a much, much worse system

Astros, White Sox, and Tigers have the 3 worst easily.....

Joba Rules!!
10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah the Tigers are pretty horrible outside of a couple (A la Porcello)

They basically sold the farm for Miggy, Willis, Renteria, etc and didn't even come close to the playoffs this year :laugh2:

WarriorFan4Life
10-31-2008, 11:53 PM
the a's have a decent farm system

C1Bman88
11-01-2008, 01:01 AM
That's quite an understatement.

lincecum98
11-01-2008, 01:32 AM
the a's have a decent farm system

They have a top three farm system!

nady4president
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
The pittsburgh pirates have the worst farm system. They do not have a good minor league affiliates and farmhands that help develop major league potential talent. There was an article on all of the pirates' faults on ESPN, but the article is about a couple months old.

Joba Rules!!
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
The pittsburgh pirates have the worst farm system. They do not have a good minor league affiliates and farmhands that help develop major league potential talent. There was an article on all of the pirates' faults on ESPN, but the article is about a couple months old.

:pity:

Not after this past trade deadline.

nady4president
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
:pity:

Not after this past trade deadline.

True. Jose Tabata aquired in the Nady trade will be a Manny Ramirez in the future with less attitude.

Joba Rules!!
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
...and McCutchen (Danny), and Andy LaRoche, and the addition of Pedro Alvarez via draft.

dbroncs-abraves
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Where do you guys think the braves farm system ranks? I think top 5

b_rad23
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Marlins?

DerrekLee
11-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Where do you guys think the braves farm system ranks? I think top 5

They are up there. Heyward is gonna be a beast.

C1Bman88
11-03-2008, 01:25 AM

Houston's is far worse IMO.

Joba Rules!!
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Houston's is far worse IMO.

and Los Tigres.

papipapsmanny
11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
tampa and boston are the top two right now imo

with the rangers not far behind

laxtonto
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
tampa and boston are the top two right now imo

with the rangers not far behind

Well that goes against pretty much everyone in the prospecting community with Texas and Oak at 1 and 2 and SF,TB and Atl fighting it out for 3 - 5.

Boston has had just to much attrition over the last few years now. The loss rookie eligibility of Lowrie, Masterson, Bucholz, Ellsbury and Pedoria the last 2 season has pretty much killed the Red Sox chance of a top 10 ranking.

papipapsmanny
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
^^^ not at all they are definanltey in the top 10 no doubt about it

Anderson, Bowden, Bard, drafted casey kelly and managed to sign Ryan Westmoreland, Kalish, Reddick, Weiland, and Almanzar

they have a better system then SF and Atlanta at least imo

C1Bman88
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
^^^ not at all they are definanltey in the top 10 no doubt about it

Anderson, Bowden, Bard, drafted casey kelly and managed to sign Ryan Westmoreland, Kalish, Reddick, Weiland, and Almanzar

they have a better system then SF and Atlanta at least imo

San Francisco has most likely the third best farm and Atlanta's looking like #4. Boston's top 10 no doubt, but they're not better than SF or ATL.

laxtonto
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Anderson and Bowden are the 2 top end guys that are still eligible. The rest are to far out to really push the system above the likes of ATL or SF or even into the top 10.

Posey and Villanova from SF are both players that grade out as high as Lars. Bumgarner and Aldersonfrom SF both grade out higher than Bowden. Hanson and Heyward from Atl both grade out above Lars and Bowden as well at this point. I like the Bos system but, not enough guys that are high end that are in the upper minors.

To add to it, am not sure Lars is the best 1B now in the minors now His .435 BABIP driven .316 BA scares me a bit. He might not grade out higher than Smoak from Texas. Bowden, even though I like him, is what he is, a #3 starter as a ceiling.

Don't worry, the Bos system is on its way back up, but no way is it higher than SF or Atl. Hard to even place them in the top 10 at this point. But your still above the NYY...

ThreeIfBaerga
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Anderson and Bowden are the 2 top end guys that are still eligible. The rest are to far out to really push the system above the likes of ATL or SF or even into the top 10.

Posey and Villanova from SF are both players that grade out as high as Lars. Bumgarner and Aldersonfrom SF both grade out higher than Bowden. Hanson and Heyward from Atl both grade out above Lars and Bowden as well at this point. I like the Bos system but, not enough guys that are high end that are in the upper minors.

To add to it, am not sure Lars is the best 1B now in the minors now His .435 BABIP driven .316 BA scares me a bit. He might not grade out higher than Smoak from Texas. Bowden, even though I like him, is what he is, a #3 starter as a ceiling.

Don't worry, the Bos system is on its way back up, but no way is it higher than SF or Atl. Hard to even place them in the top 10 at this point. But your still above the NYY...

I agree that the Sox system isn't where it was at this time last year, but I think they've still got enough talent to be top 10. They're not as top heavy as they were, but they had a top 5 draft, added tons of talent and have logjams at almost every position from Lancaster/Salem down.

papipapsmanny
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
in terms of depth i am still taking boston over atl and san fran

they had the thing called the draft where they get brand new prospects and they did quite well in it

C1Bman88
11-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess you haven't paid attention to San Francisco's drafts and International signings the past two years. Or Atlanta's drafts, for that matter.

laxtonto
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
5th best draft, behind Rangers, Royals, Giants and Twins according to BA does not make up for the fact that your #2 system lost its #1,2,4 and 5 prospects and that most of the talent is going to be based in the low minors. No one in the current Sox draft will make the top 50. Very few recently drafted players ever do, with most being top 5 picks or top 5 talent that slipped due to sign ability. The Sox drafted neither.

The system lost the #4,#13, #64 and #73rd ranked prospects according to BA's top 100 with no one likely to make the top 15 next year.

Lars was ranked 40th last year, Bowden 94th and Kalish 96th (who might not get ranked after this season) with none having the season to jump into the top 15. It is going to take that type of top end talent to make the top 8.

The fact that the Sox have a talent rich low minors does not carry as much weight as having polished MLB ready or close to MLB ready players.

The Sox, Yankees, Reds and Dodgers all most likely will fall out of the top 10 with SF and Balt for sure going in and the Cardinals (Rasmus will be a top 15 if not better prospect again) Fl, Minn, Was and KC all fighting with the Sox and Dodgers for the bottom rungs of the top 10.

Texas, Oak, SF, Atl, Balt and TB are a fairly good guess at the top 6 in some order.

7-10 leaves you the Rox with Fowler being a most likely top 20 guy, Cardinals with Rasmus being a top 15 guy, Minn, KC, LAD and Was being fairly deep but no great top 30 talent right now, Bos with Lars a likely top 30 guy, and FL with Maybin being a top 10 guy.

Got to pick 3? FL has star power and depth, Cardinals the same. So do you choose the Sox system over Minn or KC or Min or LAD?

Once again, this isn't a slight against the Red Sox system, its just the standard attrition of top prospects to the MLB level. I fully expect the Red Sox system to be back in the top 20 for the 2010 rankings (barring trades of course),but I have a hard time justifying it right now.

1 team in the top 10 last year did not have a player in the top 25, Washington (#27).
No one in the top 5 last year did not have a guy in the top 20, and at least 4 prospects in the top 88.

papipapsmanny
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
well anderson will be a top 20 spec for sure

i guarantee the sox are still a top 10 system i would be suprised if they arent

kelly and westmoreland (a guy who fell cause of signabilty concerns) could crack the top 100

i understand what your saying but they added as much as they lost

as for in the top 100

Anderson, Bowden, Bard, and Reddick will almost certainly make it

Kelly and Westmoreland, and Almanzar could possible crack it in the 90s

As for next years BA ranking while i think they have the 2nd most depth in terms of talent in the minors i believe they will be ranked in the 4-7 range

thats just my opinion but i am 100% sure they have a top 10 system

laxtonto
11-07-2008, 06:53 PM

kelly and westmoreland (a guy who fell cause of signabilty concerns) could crack the top 100

as for in the top 100

As for next years BA ranking while i think they have the 2nd most depth in terms of talent in the minors i believe they will be ranked in the 4-7 range

thats just my opinion but i am 100% sure they have a top 10
system

Sometimes you just need to ask the man...

Q: Mike from Boston asks:
Where would you rank the Red Sox farm system now?
A:

Jim Callis: Because most of the talent is now concentrated in the lower levels, and because they graduated Buchholz, Ellsbury, Masterson and Lowrie, my guess is I'll rank them around No. 10 when it comes time to do that. I haven't done that yet, so it's hard to answer this definitively. The Rangers and the A's have the top two systems in my mind, but I haven't figured out the rest yet.

Q: Jay from Madison asks:
While the Sox seem to have a lot of young talent at the big league level and Anderson is a stud, the rest of the list seemed a little underwhelming. I mean when your 4th ranked prospect profiles as a set-up guy and your 3rd ranked prospect played in just 3 games it doesn't look so great. And yet, the overview written seemed pretty glowing. Are the two in sync or is the list beyond Anderson pretty mediocre.
A:

Jim Callis: I wouldn't use the word "mediocre" at all. I think the system has more athletes than at any time I can remember, and a ton of high-ceiling talent. Some of those guys will fall by the wayside, but there are enough of them that they will hit on some future stars. They system isn't poised to deliver a lot of immediate impact help after Bowden, Bard and Reddick, because most of the best players are down in A ball. But that's OK because the big league team is in very good shape and there's a lot of talent in the system. The Red Sox can afford to be patient.

That is from today, just after he just did the Red Sox rankings, with only 2 teams done so far. Pretty much what I have been saying all along. Right around 10, most of the high end talent in the lower levels. And lets not forget Law is a HUGE Anderson fan. So when the rest of the BA staff gets together it might push them down a little bit more. :D

fishfan79
11-07-2008, 07:35 PM
in terms of depth i am still taking boston over atl and san fran

they had the thing called the draft where they get brand new prospects and they did quite well in it

in terms of depth, in terms of elite prospects there is no way I am taking Boston over SF.

2 of their pitchers can be argued for the best pitchers in the minors easily. They have an elite catcher prospect, a solid young prospect for 1st base as well and numerous others solid young ones in there. SF did well in the draft too dont forget and has a team stacked with talent right now.

Only group I take over SF right now would be Texas, because their system makes me drool.

fishfan79
11-07-2008, 07:36 PM
5th best draft, behind Rangers, Royals, Giants and Twins according to BA does not make up for the fact that your #2 system lost its #1,2,4 and 5 prospects and that most of the talent is going to be based in the low minors. No one in the current Sox draft will make the top 50. Very few recently drafted players ever do, with most being top 5 picks or top 5 talent that slipped due to sign ability. The Sox drafted neither.

The system lost the #4,#13, #64 and #73rd ranked prospects according to BA's top 100 with no one likely to make the top 15 next year.

Lars was ranked 40th last year, Bowden 94th and Kalish 96th (who might not get ranked after this season) with none having the season to jump into the top 15. It is going to take that type of top end talent to make the top 8.

The fact that the Sox have a talent rich low minors does not carry as much weight as having polished MLB ready or close to MLB ready players.

The Sox, Yankees, Reds and Dodgers all most likely will fall out of the top 10 with SF and Balt for sure going in and the Cardinals (Rasmus will be a top 15 if not better prospect again) Fl, Minn, Was and KC all fighting with the Sox and Dodgers for the bottom rungs of the top 10.

Texas, Oak, SF, Atl, Balt and TB are a fairly good guess at the top 6 in some order.

7-10 leaves you the Rox with Fowler being a most likely top 20 guy, Cardinals with Rasmus being a top 15 guy, Minn, KC, LAD and Was being fairly deep but no great top 30 talent right now, Bos with Lars a likely top 30 guy, and FL with Maybin being a top 10 guy.

Got to pick 3? FL has star power and depth, Cardinals the same. So do you choose the Sox system over Minn or KC or Min or LAD?

Once again, this isn't a slight against the Red Sox system, its just the standard attrition of top prospects to the MLB level. I fully expect the Red Sox system to be back in the top 20 for the 2010 rankings (barring trades of course),but I have a hard time justifying it right now.

1 team in the top 10 last year did not have a player in the top 25, Washington (#27).
No one in the top 5 last year did not have a guy in the top 20, and at least 4 prospects in the top 88.

perfectly put :) :clap:

Rique
11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
mets

the bottom all our talent is low level talent

laxtonto
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
mets

the bottom all our talent is low level talent

Don't worry your not at the very bottom...You still got the Astros...

I think the Mets hit the 18-23 range...

But I like a few of the guys I think more than others do

sager729
11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I am just hoping that Buddy Bell can turn the White Sox's farm system into a respectable one. We do have some very nice pieces in our system, but after that there is a big drop off.

laxtonto
12-31-2008, 08:20 PM

as for in the top 100

thats just my opinion but i am 100% sure they have a top 10 system

Or NOT...

M Kantar (Marlborough, MA): Hi Jim, I have actually pre ordered a copy of the 2009 Prospect Handbook. I did have one question about where would the Red Sox farm system rank in MLB, about #9 overall?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:06 PM ET ) The Handbook is off at the printer's and should be back in mid-January. I won't give away all of our farm system rankings—and we will update them again in spring training after more trades are made—but I will tell you that the Red Sox system ranked 13th.

Mark Citrone (Natick, MA): The Red Sox are 13th? Weren't they in the top 5 recently? Why the change?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:48 PM ET ) They graduated Buchholz, Ellsbury, Masterson and Lowrie—four of their top five prospects—to the majors last year. They have a lot of high-upside talent and could bounce back quickly as it advances through the system.

papipapsmanny
01-01-2009, 05:58 AM
alright? i guess i put more stock in the young guys, plus the handbook was made in november before the Tazawa signing so that could have bumped them up to 10

another thing he said that i have been saying is the yanks system is average (15) is what i believe he said

Joba Rules!!
01-01-2009, 07:44 AM
alright? i guess i put more stock in the young guys, plus the handbook was made in november before the Tazawa signing so that could have bumped them up to 10

another thing he said that i have been saying is the yanks system is average (15) is what i believe he said

3 spots because of one prospect that won't have a prayer at breaking the top 50?

papipapsmanny
01-01-2009, 10:21 AM
3 spots because of one prospect that won't have a prayer at breaking the top 50?

i believe so yes hes is a redsox top ten prospect he makes it a better and deeper system starting in AA i bet you he is named a top 100 prospect if he got in that in time which i believe he did

Kyle916
01-01-2009, 01:58 PM
in terms of depth, in terms of elite prospects there is no way I am taking Boston over SF.

2 of their pitchers can be argued for the best pitchers in the minors easily. They have an elite catcher prospect, a solid young prospect for 1st base as well and numerous others solid young ones in there. SF did well in the draft too dont forget and has a team stacked with talent right now.

Only group I take over SF right now would be Texas, because their system makes me drool.

Agreed

zzConflict
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
i believe so yes hes is a redsox top ten prospect he makes it a better and deeper system starting in AA i bet you he is named a top 100 prospect if he got in that in time which i believe he did

I think Jim Callis said they were thinking of putting Tazawa in at 7th on the #Red Sox list and there's no way the Red Sox are going to have 7 guys in the top 100, so, with that in mind, I doubt he makes the top 100.

papipapsmanny
01-01-2009, 03:18 PM
he could i meann scouts are expecting the guy to be pitching in the mlb by late 09 and he is starting out in AA. Its a pitcher with good stuff, starting in AA ball and supposed to move up really quickly.

To me Bard, Bowden, anderson, reddick are all definate top 100 Tazawa could ver well be up there as well because of his closeness to teh majors

C1Bman88
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM

One prospect will not improve Boston's farm system to the point where they jump over 3 other organizations.

papipapsmanny
01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
^^ it really depends if the separation betweennumber 13 and 10 is bunched together, or if the talent is too much of a gap to make up

fishfan79
01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
you are sorta wearing a homer hat dude, there are alot of great systems out there really the red sox just are as good in specs at the moment. Doesnt mean anything honestly though as they just will buy whom they want to like the mets, yanks, sox always do in the imbalance of baseball.

I suggest take a step back and look at some of the other teams
There are pitchers that wont make the top 100 that I definitely would take over the japanese import by far.