PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2008 Seahawks offseason thread

WayneBrady
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Losing 42-20 to Green Bay with a little over 3 minutes the season is coming to an end. I would say it was a pretty good season.

Anyway discuss what should be done over the offseason. Like resign Trufant, sign a free agent, what position to get in the draft, ect.

hughest4
01-12-2008, 11:15 PM
The two main needs of the Seahawks are O-Line and RB. I am not sure if the Hawks' just couldnt block for Alexander or if he is just that bad. They should probably look for their future RB via draft since it looks like Alexander wont be returning...

Shaun Alexander rushed nine times for 20 yards and a touchdown in a Divisional Round loss to the Packers.

Last game in Seattle? This was an appropriate end to a disastrous stretch for Alexander, as the Seahawks didn’t even threaten to run all day. He rarely breaks tackles and can be indecisive. We suspect he’ll be a backup next season, with a team other than Seattle.
Source: rotoworld.com (http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=111385)

Boozerguy47
01-13-2008, 01:33 AM
^ Thank god. I hope we can dump him and his $ on someone else. Have Mo and another running back who hits the holes 100% is what we need... I hope we take a RB in the first round or make some sort of trade for a proven and 'good' running back.

I figure I could make a list of some things we need or do not need to upgrade/change

-WRs = We are perfect here, no need to worry
-TE = Would be nice to get a younger TE who could be a passing threat
-RB = As I said above, moving Alexander would be nice and drafting the best RB when our pick comes around would be nice
-O-Line = This area could be upgraded, however I think we have bigger needs
-Defense = We just need to learn how to play consistant and resign Trufant.

By the way, I hear Tatupu might sit out next year if he doesn't get his deal redone with the Seahawks. He has the same agent as Steve Hutchinson... Hopefully this 'hold-out' will not happen, but it is just something I have heard...

WayneBrady
01-13-2008, 08:00 AM
That would be great if Seattle could just go seperate ways with Alexander. Anyway I say we need to resign Trufant and Hackett. Here are some free agents.

RB: Mike Turner UFA
Marion Barber RFA
Jamal Lewis UFA
Julius Jones UFA
Justin Fargas UFA
Derrick Ward RFA
Vernand Morency RFA
Chris Brown UFA
Cedric Cobbs RFA
T.J. Duckett UFA
Noah Herron RFA
Maurice Hicks UFA
Travis Minor UFA
Mewelde Moore UFA
Artose Pinner UFA
Musa Smith UFA
Tyson Thompson RFA
LaBrandon Toefield UFA

TE: L.J. Smith UFA
Eric Johnson UFA
Stephen Alexander UFA
Bryan Fletcher UFA
John Gilmore UFA
Ben Troupe UFA
Jermaine Wiggins UFA
Kris Wilson UFA

Nwsports22
01-13-2008, 03:19 PM
First resign Trufant.

Id try and get Barber but I think its going to hard to steal him away from Dallas. I dont think Id go after any of those TE's.

Draft
At RB either: Jonathan Stewart,Rashard Mendenhall,Kevin Jones,Felix Jones.
At TE either: Fred Davis,John Carlson.

Jackson
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
My offseason wishlist:
Re-sign Trufant, Hackett
Sign Alan Faneca
I have also seen some place Dallas Clark is a FA and then he is not listed others, so I am not sure if he is an restricted FA or people just think he is going to be released (which I doubt) anyway if he is out there he would look great in Seahawk blue.
Draft RB (Stewart or Mendenhall would be great)
If Clark is not available draft a TE (I agree with NWSports22) Davis or Carlson
Draft another DT
Draft 1 maybe 2 OL
I think I this offseason would make me happy

FWBrodie
01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
1. Sign Alan Faneca. I think this is as good as done already unless he pulls something like Kris Dielman last offseason and takes $10 million less to play somewhere else. The Hawks will make the best offer though.

2. Resign Marcus Trufant to the large contract he deserves.

3. Find a new starting runningback. Either Barber, Turner, or Jonathon Stewart would be great.

4. Take the best tight end available in the draft either 1st or 2nd round, or sign LJ Smith.

jbeezy
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
First off I would like to say Congratulations on a great season.:clap: I know you all hate me because Im always talking crap to you guys but you guys where better than I thought you would be. If you had a running back you would still be in it. You guys have spent some money on your WRs Branch and Burleson. Do you guys think your GM might want to keep D.J Hackett if he is going to have to spend more $$$ to keep Trufant, re work Tatupu's deal, try to find RB help and Oline help in Free agency? Do you guys have enough cap space to pull that off??

Boozerguy47
01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
1. Sign Alan Faneca. I think this is as good as done already unless he pulls something like Kris Dielman last offseason and takes $10 million less to play somewhere else. The Hawks will make the best offer though.

2. Resign Marcus Trufant to the large contract he deserves.

3. Find a new starting runningback. Either Barber, Turner, or Jonathon Stewart would be great.

4. Take the best tight end available in the draft either 1st or 2nd round, or sign LJ Smith.

I agree... We just CANNOT loose Trufant. Faneca is L or R Guard? I forget and am too lazy to look it up...

5. Trade / Cut Alexander

TheRedMarauder
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Kicker Josh Brown is "optimistic" about reaching a long-term contract with the Seahawks.

If not, Brown wouldn't mind being franchise tagged again. The Seahawks might prefer to use the tag on Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Trufant instead.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
BTW, I don't what the Seahawks cap situation is, but for those of you who say cut Alexander keep in mind that that would cost you about $2.5 million of cap space.

Boozerguy47
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
^ Well didn't realize that part. Hopefully we can get some team to take him off our hands.

ninerfan609
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
How much cap room do the Seahawks have?..And Faneca is a L Guard, i believe, Im lazy to look it up to.

Boozerguy47
01-15-2008, 12:38 AM
I am guessing about 8 mil for some reason I thought we had 8 million of space when the season began

TheRedMarauder
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
The Seattle Post-Intellinger reports Deion Branch needs surgery to repair ligament damage in his knee and is in search of a second opinion.

Branch reportedly may have torn his ACL in Seattle's playoff loss to Green Bay. More is expected to be known about the injury by the end of the week, according to Branch's agent. If Branch tore his ACL, he's expected to face six months of rehab and could miss most or all of training camp in 2008.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
How much cap room do the Seahawks have?..And Faneca is a L Guard, i believe, Im lazy to look it up to.

I can tell you that the Seahawks already have about $101 million tied up into next year's cap. How much cap space they have depends at what amount the NFL sets the cap at. Speculation is that the cap will be set somewhere near $116 million.

djbaseball21
01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I've heard people talking about us getting Faneca, and I think that would be a great move. We're looking for more toughness on the offensive line and this guy is about is tough as the come, hence the nickname "big nasty." What I am wondering is if anyone has heard any reports of our interest? I haven't seen too much around about it. Also, does anyone know the status of negotiations with trufant, or if they are going on? I'm confident Ruskell will put a better team out there next year, I'm just wondering what you guys have heard.

Boozerguy47
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
How much money did Hackett make last year? With his injury prone season I don't think he would cost us all that much to re-sign.

I'd perfer if we resigned Trufant, Josh Brown and Sean Locklear before going after Hackett. We are deep at WR these days (Not counting Branch's injury)... If we can sign 3 of the 4 then we can give the fourth the franchise tag.

Baller1
01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
How much money did Hackett make last year? With his injury prone season I don't think he would cost us all that much to re-sign.

I'd perfer if we resigned Trufant, Josh Brown and Sean Locklear before going after Hackett. We are deep at WR these days (Not counting Branch's injury)... If we can sign 3 of the 4 then we can give the fourth the franchise tag.

For your question earlier, Faneca is a LG. So it's like we got Steve Hutchinson back, to some extent.

Boozerguy47
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
^ Sounds good, lets get him. Jones still has 2-3 years of great play left in him...

TheRedMarauder
01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Seahawks LT Walter Jones will have surgery on his chronically sore left shoulder for a second straight offseason.

Jones, who was selected to his fourth All-Pro team this season, will turn 34 on Saturday. A kidney problem prohibits him from taking any pain-killers stronger than tylenol, but the dominant tackle has only missed two games since his rookie season. He'll likely be limited during camp, but should be fine for the regular season.

rotoworld

gbpack
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
What do you guys think about the rumor regarding Holmgren possibly retiring?

Boozerguy47
01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
^ Well I wouldn't be all that happy, but now he is talking about how he loves our team and knows the future is bright. He wants an extention last I heard.

djbaseball21
01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I personally hope we re-sign Holmgren. Although he is pretty conservative with his play calling, if we executed like we're suppose to most of his plays would work pretty well that he calls. I think the first step in the offseason (after re-signing Trufant, Brown, and possibly Locklear and Hackett and giving the other the franchise tag) would be to go after Alan Faneca. He would do a great deal to help revamp our O-line. It would also be nice to pick up a big body DT who can stop the run because IMO I don't know if Tubbs can stay healthy a whole season. And what does everyone think about picking up Jonathan Stewart in the draft? I think if he stays healthy he can be a very effective back, especially if we get Faneca as well.

Baller1
01-17-2008, 02:48 AM
^ Sounds good, lets get him. Jones still has 2-3 years of great play left in him...

Jones? I can't even think of who your talking about right now........ wait my bad. NVM. I got you. Ya he'll be fine for a few more good years, possibly just enough time to make one last run at it all.

juga
01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Patrick Kerney-DL-Seahawks Jan. 17 - 9:13 am et

Seahawks DE Patrick Kerney will miss the Pro Bowl because he needs surgery.

We'd guess the surgery will be on his knee, only because Kerney saw limited practice late in 2007 due to a knee issue. It never hindered his play. Trent Cole, who finished the season with 12.5 sacks, a career high 70 tackles, and four fourced fumbles, will take his spot on the NFC roster.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Related: Trent Cole

TheRedMarauder
01-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Speaking on KJR Radio, Mike Holmgren said that Seahawks' desire to re-sign their own free agents would prevent them from going after top-tier free agents such as Alan Faneca.

Faneca was thought to be a top target of the Seahawks this offseason after their struggles in the running game, but the team has limited cap space and will apparently focus on re-signing Marcus Trufant, D.J. Hackett, Josh Brown and Sean Locklear to new deals.

After listening to Mike Holmgren on KJR radio this morning, Seahawks beat reporter Frank Hughes feels there's "no way" that Shaun Alexander will be back in Seattle next year.

Holmgren noted that when a back is exceptional at one skill, such as Alexander was at running in 2005, it's not as important to be well-rounded, but hinted that Alexander's average running didn't compensate for his poor pass catching or blocking. Holmgren was Alexanders' biggest cheerleader this season, and that he has apparently soured on him makes it even more unlikely Shaun will return.

rotoworld

juga
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Deion Branch-WR-Seahawks Jan. 17 - 1:53 pm et

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said that putting Deion Branch on injured reserve next season was a possibility.

The team will likely make every effort to ensure that Branch can return late in the season if his recovery goes as planned. The most likely scenario is that the 'Hawks will put Branch on the PUP list and wait until the very last minute before putting him on IR, and only if he has no chance at contributing in 2008.
Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Boozerguy47
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Well I heard we had 18 million to spend this offseason. Trufant would want a good portion...

Order of importance in re-signing
1. Trufant
2. Brown
3. Locklear
4. Hackett

I only say Hackett at 4 because we're deep at WR (not counting Brach being hurt)... But also Hackett was hurt about 2/3 the year so he is no position to demand big money. I think we could re-sign him for pretty cheap.

TheRedMarauder
01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Seahawks C Chris Spencer will undergo shoulder and reconstructive thumb surgery on Friday.

It will be the second straight offseason with shoulder surgery for Spencer, who is expected to be ready by the time camp starts.

rotoworld

juga
01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Mora withdraws name for consideration for Redskins' opening
NFL.com

Seattle Seahawks secondary coach Jim Mora Jr. has withdrawn his name for consideration for the Washington Redskins head coaching job, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

Mora was among five known candidates to replace Joe Gibbs, who resigned on Jan. 5.

Redskins assistant Gregg Williams, the leading in-house candidate, has had three interviews of varying formality with Redskins owner Dan Snyder. Colts assistant Jim Caldwell has withdrawn his name from consideration for the current head coaching openings.

Boozerguy47
01-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I'd bet money Mora will take over for us.

FWBrodie
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
I've heard people talking about us getting Faneca, and I think that would be a great move. We're looking for more toughness on the offensive line and this guy is about is tough as the come, hence the nickname "big nasty." What I am wondering is if anyone has heard any reports of our interest? I haven't seen too much around about it. Also, does anyone know the status of negotiations with trufant, or if they are going on? I'm confident Ruskell will put a better team out there next year, I'm just wondering what you guys have heard.

I haven't read anything yet, but the Seahawks went hard at the best guard available last offseason (making him the largest offer of any team) and missed out because he gave his old team a hometown discount. Faneca is very unhappy with the Steelers organization so the Hawks shouldn't have that problem this time.

Boozerguy47
01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Too bad there aint any players who would take a paycut in order to make their team better... (well there are a few that do, but still)... Alexander should say he only wants 1 million a year, then I wouldn't hate him as much

BlueThunder71
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I haven't read anything yet, but the Seahawks went hard at the best guard available last offseason (making him the largest offer of any team) and missed out because he gave his old team a hometown discount. Faneca is very unhappy with the Steelers organization so the Hawks shouldn't have that problem this time.

Holmgren was on KJR950 yesterday and says he doesn't expect the team to spend money on FAs like they did last off-season. He cited the need to address the contracts of Trufant, Locklear, Hackett, Brown as serious limitations. Holmren also said in broad terms that he would like to see some changes in the running game. at no point did he offer any insight to current personnel but he said the changes would be involving a combination of RBs, schematics and O-line adjustments (Classic Homgren understatement). Obviously there will be some roster additions but it sounds like this is the season to be financially responsible and dig for a diamond in the rough. that said I like the team as it is and with one or two FA OL and a good draft we can play with any team in the NFL.

FWBrodie
01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I just don't see them missing out on Faneca. If they resign Brown, Trufant, and add Faneca this offseason they will be looking very good. Maybe cutting Alexander would free up enough money to get this done.

djbaseball21
01-20-2008, 01:20 AM

They were talking about us being interested on ESPN the other day, and the Seattle Times and others say that we are very likely to go after him, especially with us going to Dielmen so hard last year, and Faneca is a better player.

mac scootch
01-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Don't believe what a coach says. It's probably a smokescreen. Why would you announce to every other team that you want a certain player so badly? That just ups the ante and the other teams know what they have to do to get that player on their team.

Boozerguy47
01-20-2008, 04:15 AM
^ If Hackett is requesting a bigger contract (even though he is not in the position to demand a lot of money b/c of his injuries I say let him walk). Be sure you resign Trufant, Brown and Locklear. I guess you could franchise Hackett, but I'd try to extend his contract if anything since he shouldn't cost all that much b/c of being hurt.

After that if we have enough money then go after Faneca.

Holmgren said he doesn't feel the Hawks have the money to sign Faneca if we resign our free agents. It's too bad Trufant wants so much money and won't give the home-town discount in order to help his team out. I hate that about some players and how they want so much dang money.

FWBrodie
01-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Why would Marcus Trufant settle for anything less than his market value? He'd be stupid to get less money than he deserves, and he does deserve it.

Boozerguy47
01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Moss took a paycut, look where his team is. How much fricken money do players need to be happy? I can't wait for a team that dominates everyone for years because they have the tradition of getting great players for less because the players realize that is how you win a championship, not by trying to get 10 million a year and you being the only good player.

The O-Line guy from SD took the pay-cut to stay with SD. We offered him a ton of money but he stayed for less...

TheRedMarauder
01-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Seahawks signed TE Joe Newton, C Nick Jones, C Chris White, DT Jon Lewis, LS Tim Lindsey, G Pat Murray, RB Dan Curran, CB Omowale Dada, LB Cam Jensen, WR Jordan Kent, DE Nu'u Tafisi, DT Kelly Talavou, G Steve Vallos, and OT Kyle Williams to reserve/future contracts.

Newton and Kent may have the best chance of making the team next season after spending 2007 on the practice squad. Newton was undrafted out of Oregon State last April, but has soft hands and could help as a backup.

rotoworld

JasonAChurchill
01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Randy Moss didn't take a pay cut, he simply was traded from Oakland to New England. Tom Brady reworked his deal to make room under the salary cap for Moss, though.

Coincidentally, Moss is a free agent this offseason.

Boozerguy47
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
^ Ummm well I guess ESPN was wrong but ok... Point is there are a few players out there who are not all about the money and actually want to win.

kc5950
01-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Randy Moss took no pay-cut. The players association would not allow a player to simply sign a 1 year deal, replacing his one year deal, which would pay him less.

Kris Dielman didn't take a pay-cut either. Dielman signed a 6 year deal, rather than a 7 year deal, for about $10M less. The way contracts are structured in the NFL his pay schedule is probably nearly identical to what it would have been on the Seahawks offer through 6 years. Long term deals rarely see their end, by the end of them the cap numbers are so outrageous that teams either release or restructure. What Dielman did, while not really a paycut, was to take a lesser bonus, however when spread over the proration years its the difference of about $500k per season than what was given to Leonard Davis. His yearly schedule ((Contract-Bonus/6)+Bonus/5) +/- for escalations is basically the same as what Steve Hutchinson got, and slightly less than Leonard Davis. When you consider that Dielman is almost 4 years younger than Davis, and about 4 1/4 younger than Hutch, he's actually set himself up for the same payday that Alan Faneca will receive this offseason + inflation.

chad311k9
01-26-2008, 04:03 AM

Jones needs to finish his plays. caught him giving up on blocking before play was over way to many times this year. i don't know why, but i pay more attention to the trenches than skill positions while watching on tv.

TheRedMarauder
02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter says the Seahawks are "flirting" with allowing Marcus Trufant hit the open market.

While that decision is somewhat bizarre, the reasoning behind it is even crazier. Schefter indicates that the team may prefer to use the franchise tag on kicker Josh Brown. If Trufant hits the open market, he'll become one of the richest defenders in the league.

rotoworld

FWBrodie
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Boozerguy47
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
^ Yeah I agree. I don't see why we just dont fricken sign Brown to a long-term deal. He is a kicker for crying out loud. I'd try to sign Trufant quick in an effort to keep the price as low as possible. If he hits the open market I wouldn't go after him. Sign another quality corner-back and then you might even have enough money to get Faneca.

TheRedMarauder
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
The "buzz at the Pro Bowl" is reportedly that free agent CB Marcus Trufant will get a bigger contract than Nate Clements this offseason.

Trufant took his game to another level in 2007 and it doesn't look like the Seahawks will pay the $8 million it would take to franchise him. Seattle has 2007 second-round pick Josh Wilson ready for a bigger role.

rotoworld

weebs
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Trufant is a big part of this defense. If by some reason we do let him go, we better use that money to sign Faneca.

Boozerguy47
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
^ I agree... But I don't think we should spend that much money on Trufant. Having a better offensive line or a better pass rush on defense would make a bigger impact than having Trufant. Give Trufant the option to resign here, but don't hand him any amount of money he wants. If Trufant wants more, heck with him, throw the money at Faneca.

TheRedMarauder
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Free agent G Mike Wahle will reportedly meet with the Seahawks on Wednesday.

Wahle, cut Monday in a cap-related move, was drafted by Green Bay during Mike Holmgren's tenure there. However, Seattle is going with a power running game this year, and Wahle's strength has come into question since he tore his labrum in 2006. He'd have to come cheaply.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Donno much about him... anyone else know anything (besides what was posted above)?

BlueThunder71
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Wahle is 6-6 304 out of Navy and was a ProBowler the year before tearing his Labrum (2006)... Also relevant is the fact that he was born in Portland, Or...

Boozerguy47
02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Well he appears to be a quality player (figuring his injury doesn't slow him down)... If he comes cheap, why not grab him.

TheRedMarauder
02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Seahawks signed G Mike Wahle to a multi-year contract.

It's likely for two years. Wahle isn't the borderline Pro Bowler he once was, but will only be 31 this season and knows coach Mike Holmgren's offense. He figures to battle Mansfield Wrotto and Chris Gray to start at right guard.

rotoworld

FWBrodie
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice move.

BlueThunder71
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Seahawks signed G Mike Wahle to a multi-year contract.

It's likely for two years. Wahle isn't the borderline Pro Bowler he once was, but will only be 31 this season and knows coach Mike Holmgren's offense. He figures to battle Mansfield Wrotto and Chris Gray to start at right guard.

rotoworld

everything I have been able to find about the signing says that he is penciled in as the starting LG... good signing, sounds like the guy has lots of family in the area and his parents own a home on Bainbridge... should be a good fit for a couple seasons.

weebs
02-15-2008, 06:12 PM
yeah i love that signing, dude was a pro bowler just a year ago.

Boozerguy47
02-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Yup, sounds good. Nice find.

TheRedMarauder
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
The agent for Josh Brown said Thursday that the Seahawks are not close to reaching an agreement with his client.+

The Tacoma News Tribune expects Brown to seek an Adam Vinatieri (five years, $12 million) type deal when he tests the waters. Brown connected on 28-of-34 field goal attempts last season, including three makes from 50+.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
The Seahawks are downplaying rumors that Shaun Alexander will be released by the team shortly.

The team wouldn't even give Profootballtalk's rumor/report a response. According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the 'Hawks may wait until the summer to cut Alexander. We suspect they'll use a high pick on an RB.

rotoworld

NYMetros
02-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports D.J. Hackett will likely be allowed the test the free agent market.

The Seahawks want Hackett back, but will wait to see the interest Hackett receives when he tests the waters. Hackett would be a logical fit with the Redskins, and should come substantially cheaper than Bernard Berrian.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
How much room in cap space do we have now?

TheRedMarauder
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
The player rep for D.J. Hackett confirmed Monday that his client will hit the free agent market on February 29.

"I won’t rule out Seattle as a destination but we are going to test the market and see what’s out there," Hackett's agent said. As a West Coast receiver, there will be heavy competition for Hackett with the Redskins, Raiders, Vikings, Bucs, Titans, Broncos, and possibly Eagles in need of WR help.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Seahawks WR Courtney Taylor is line for an expanded role if D.J. Hackett departs via free agency.

The team also likes the potential of Logan Payne, but Taylor would be given priority at Hackett's split end spot. Ben Obomanu is higher on the depth chart, so it remains to be seen who will take advantage if opportunity presents itself this off-season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Free agent LB Kevin Bentley will not return to Seattle in 2008.

Bentley wants to start, which he never could do behind Lofa Tatupu, Julian Peterson, and LeRoy Hill. He was Seattle's fourth LB the past two years.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
The Seahawks extended restricted free agent FB Leonard Weaver a tender.

He was initially undrafted out of Carson-Newman, Seattle slapped him with a second-round tender. Weaver is the 'Hawks' third-down specialist.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-29-2008, 12:00 AM
The Seahawks extended exclusive rights free agent FB David Kirtman and LB Lance Laury tender offers on Thursday.

Kirtman gets $370,000 if he makes the club; Laury can make $445,000. Restricted free agent RB Alvin Pearman wasn't tendered and is free to leave.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-29-2008, 01:38 AM
The Seahawks anticipate Deion Branch (torn ACL) missing all of training camp.

Doctors say Branch should be back on the field at some point during the year, but there's no telling when that will be. He'll miss all pre-camp work and should begin the season on PUP, costing him the first seven weeks.

Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell was "effusive" in his praise of second-year WR Logan Payne during a press conference Thursday.

Payne, a 2007 undrafted rookie from Minnesota, has nice size at 6'2/205 and is considered a disciplined route runner but lacks good speed. He could help Bobby Engram and Courtney Taylor replace D.J. Hackett in 2008.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Seahawks released OL Tom Ashworth.

A perfect example of why you don't sign former Patriots. Ashworth never came close to locking down a starting role in Seattle after signing a lucrative five-year contract in 2006. He was another system player in New England.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
02-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Good, guy never was any good.

TheRedMarauder
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
The Seahawks will meet with free agent LB Nick Greisen on Tuesday.

Greisen was in Cleveland on Saturday, but left without a deal. He's a trusty linebacker who could replace Niko Koutouvides as Lofa Tatupu's backup.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Free agent D.J. Hackett hasn't ruled out rejoining the Seahawks.

He's begging for any suitors right now. The Tacoma News Tribune suggests Hackett re-sign for one year to rehab his value and show he can stay healthy.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
If anything I'd try to resign him cheap for 3-4 years. We know what he can do when healthy. Might as well take advantage of the fact he is coming off a bad year and you can grab him for cheap.

TheRedMarauder
03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Julius Jones is visiting the Seahawks Thursday.

Looks like their interest is serious. Jones has met with Tennessee and Detroit so far and it's uncertain if he's been offered a contract. If Jones signs, Shaun Alexander seems nearly certain to be released.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Free agent LB Caleb Miller has scheduled a visit with the Seahawks.

Someone is interested. Miller, a former third-round pick, can play special teams and the middle and weak side spots, but is unreliable physically.

rotoworld

x_notorious
03-14-2008, 12:43 AM
The Seahawks have made franchise player Marcus Trufant a counterproposal, but the sides remain far apart in talks.
Trufant recently told the Seahawks that he wanted a deal averaging just under $9.5 million over five to six years. Seattle's initial proposal was for $7 million per year. The counterproposal is likely somewhere in the middle.

rotoworld.com

NYMetros
03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Free agent Olindo Mare will meet with the Broncos and Seahawks early next week.

The Broncos lost long-time kicker Jason Elam to the Falcons, and the Seahwaks lost Josh Brown to the Rams in free agency. Mare was cut last month from the Saints after refusing to take a pay cut. The eleven-year veteran was terribly inaccurate on field goals last season. He was 1 for 5 on kicks from 50+ yards, and 10 for 17 altogether.

rotoworld

FWBrodie
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I say take a kicker in the draft. He'd be relatively cheap and could turn out to be a gem.

FWBrodie
03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
The Seahawks are interested in signing LB LeRoy Hill to an extension.

Hill is in the final season of his rookie contract. The 25-year-old has been a solid starter on the weak side since 2005. He forced three fumbles last year.

Rotoworld.com

Hell yes. Lock up the third piece of the best linebacking corps in the NFL.

Boozerguy47
03-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Man, that would be sick getting him locked up before this season. How many years did J Pete sign for? For some reason I thought six, but I donno.

NYMetros
04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
The Seattle Seahawks failed to get any compensatory picks when the NFL handed out 32 to 15 different teams on Monday.

Compensatory picks are issued based on how many of its own free agents a team loses and how many of another teamís it signs in a previous season. They are bestowed based on a formula that weighs salary, playing time and postseason awards.

Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell said in late February that he expected the Seahawks to be given an additional pick, though he said he did not know in which round it would be.

Tacoma News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/323282.html)

TheRedMarauder
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Seahawks signed DB Omare Lowe to a one-year, $605,000 contract.

Lowe, 30, played for current Seattle DBs coach Jim Mora in Atlanta. He has experience at safety and corner and will compete for a roster spot in camp.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Seahawks waived QB Travis Lulay and LB Cameron Jensen.

Lulay went to training camp with Seattle in 2006 and 2007, but it appears he won't get that chance this year. Jensen was an undrafted player out of BYU.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Seahawks signed P Reggie Hodges. He'll be a camp body and no challenge to Ryan Plackemeier's job.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell says the team is looking to trade down in the draft.

The best chance of acquiring additional picks will come if another team covets a late first-round quarterback such as Louisville's Brian Brohm or Delaware's Joe Flacco. SI's Peter King believes Brohm will go somewhere in the 20s on draft day.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Seahawks DT Marcus Tubbs (torn ACL) won't be available for post-draft minicamps.

The Seahawks definitely aren't counting on Tubbs after drafting Texas A&M behemoth Red Bryant on Sunday. Tubbs is due $830,000 in salary this year.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Seahawks signed DT Larry Tripplett and LB Wesly Mallard and claimed QB Dalton Bell off waivers from the Packers.

Signing Tripplett at this stage of free agency for probably about the vet's minimum could prove to be a steal. He's only 29 and has a history of getting to the passer. Mallard is a special teamer. Bell will be a camp body.

Seahawks DT Marcus Tubbs underwent more surgery on his knee recently.

Coach Mike Holmgren says Tubbs had a recent "follow-up" surgery after having his ACL repaired last year. He is unlikely to take part in training camp.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren says Deion Branch's recovery from a torn ACL is "going well," but he does not expect Branch to be ready for Week 1.

No shocker here. Branch won't be available for any of training camp and seems destined for PUP. Bobby Engram is the favorite to start at flanker on opening day. Logan Payne figures to push Nate Burleson at split end.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Coach Mike Holmgren confirmed Wednesday that the Seahawks will use a running back by committee approach in 2008.

It's hard not to like Julius Jones' odds of rebounding some in a good offense with a much needed change of scenery, but he has lots of competition for carries. T.J. Duckett will be the short-yardage specialist and Leonard Weaver may stay on third downs. Maurice Morris will be on the team. Holmgren does not anticipate giving one back 25 carries in any specific week.

rotoworld

FWBrodie
05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Wow, the Hawks signed Larry Tripplett. Awesome signing. I remember watching play for the Huskies and he was a beast. The D-line is looking gooood

A.Mopp
05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
wow I think that is a great pickup for DT. He will be a good plug in the middle. I really wanna see what Red Bryant can bring to the middle also.

TheRedMarauder
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Seahawks signed WR Joel Filani and waived WR Travis Brown and DL Kelly Talavou.

Filani is a longshot to make the Seahawks, but his ability to play special teams should help a bit. With a lot of uncertainty at the position, any wideout landing in coach Mike Holmgren's offense is worth monitoring.

rotoworld

BullsFan_1
05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
The Seahawks are not going to renegotiate WR Bobby Engram's contract despite his displeasure with his current salary.

The team is adamant that Engram play out the final season of his contract, and then they will negotiate with him as a free agent. Engram feels like he hasn't been rewarded for his contributions, and he's trying to leverage his situation coming off a 94-catch season.

rotoworld.com

TheRedMarauder
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Seahawks C Chris Spencer (shoulder, thumb surgeries) is expected to be ready for training camp.

Spencer, a 2005 first-round pick, is one of three Seahawks starting OLs missing pre-camp work. LT Walter Jones (shoulder) and RG Rob Sims (knee) are the others. RT Sean Locklear and LG Mike Wahle are healthy.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren anticipates an "interesting battle in training camp" at the tight end position.

Holmgren says Will Heller is having a "heckuva camp" at OTAs and he likes "what (Jeb Putzier) is doing."

Coach Mike Holmgren says Julius Jones and Maurice Morris "will both play" this year, but he has to "kind of see how we are going to use (T.J.) Duckett."

"Fullback, halfback," Holmgren said of Duckett. "He has been a halfback but I would like him to move into fullback a little bit." Still, Duckett would seemingly have the most defined role as a short-yardage specialist. The Seahawks will have a heavy committee at running back this year.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren pointed out that he's never had success using a strictly short-yardage back on offense.

"There are some teams that take a big, strong pile-driving guy and I guess they call him a short-yardage back," Holmgren said. "When I have done that it hasn't worked very well." Seattle struggled mightily to get tough yards in '07, but now it doesn't sound like T.J. Duckett is guaranteed that role this year. He'd still be the team's best option on the goal line.

rotoworld

BullsFan_1
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
The Seahawks have used WR Logan Payne in the slot some during minicamps.

Payne, a second-year undrafted player, spent virtually his whole rookie season on the practice squad. The club is high on his potential and he's fast becoming one of our favorite deep sleepers. Like Bobby Engram, Payne will have more value if he learns multiple positions on the offense. Starting in the slot would be a great start.

Bobby Engram did not practice, but showed up to the Seahawks' facility Thursday in a sport coat.

Matt Hasselbeck isn't concerned about losing chemistry with Engram during his OTA absence. Engram figures to rejoin the team for mandatory work.

rotoworld.com

TheRedMarauder
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
According to SI's Bucky Brooks, some Seahawks officials believe Bobby Engram's production has been inflated due to QB Matt Hasselbeck's belief in the veteran.

There's also speculation that the shift to a more balanced offense will diminish Engram's role. The Seahawks are expected to feature more power running game packages this year, several with multiple tight end sets which replace Engram's production in the slot. This looks like blatant spin from the Seahawks' front office.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
05-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Plus, he only did so good cause Hackett and Branch were out. He needs to open his eyes.

TheRedMarauder
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Seahawks signed WR Chas Gessner and waived OL Chris White. Gessner will try to make the club as a special teamer.

rotoworld

Santana4Prez'08
05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
OCHO CINCO!
haha just kiddin
the west is gonna be pretty tough IMO with the rest of the division
why did they let josh brown go
he was the man

Boozerguy47
05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I would never pay a kicker what the Rams did. Brown is good, but extremely into himself.

Boozerguy47
06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow the Seahawks' forum is dead.

DuckHawk
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
With the running back by commitee thing what do you all think of Owen Schmit? He looks to be a tough guy and was arguably the best true full back in the draft. I wouldn't see him getting more carries then the other guys but he could turn out to be a great run blocker and an occasional punisher with the ball.

TheRedMarauder
06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Coach Mike Holmgren plans on having Maurice Morris and Julius Jones carry the bulk of the Seahawks' running back workload this year.

The coach still doesn't know where to put T.J. Duckett, which makes you wonder why exactly Holmgren gave the O.K. to sign him. He does still have time to figure that out. Leonard Weaver will go back to playing fullback. Many observers reportedly said that Duckett "seems especially slow" at OTAs.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
The Seahawks have pegged Logan Payne's primary position as flanker.

The depth chart appears to be (in order): SE - Nate Burleson, Ben Obomanu, Jordan Kent, Chas Gessner. FL - Bobby Engram, Payne, Courtney Taylor, Deion Branch (injured). When Seattle goes three wide, which is often, and Engram moves to the slot, whichever flanker between Taylor and Payne wins out will see a lot of field time. A sleeper is likely to emerge from this group.

rotoworld

Boozerguy47
06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I think Ben will be great. He showed some flashes last year and seems to have great hands... Should be fun watching these guys.

TheRedMarauder
06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
The Seahawks believe RB Julius Jones can stay on the field "across situations."

Jones is a better receiver as well as a better and more willing blocker than last year's back, Shaun Alexander. Coach Mike Holmgren said in April that the team will use a committee approach, but Jones could run with the job if he gets off to a fast start.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Seahawks offensive coordinator Gil Haskell believes second-year split end Jordan Kent needs another season on the practice squad.

Among Seattle's current wideouts, Kent has shown unrivaled vertical skills in offseason workouts. But he began playing the game late in life and is raw. Kent could still eek out a roster spot if the Seahawks keep six wide receivers.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Justin Forsett is considered a "very long shot" to make the Seahawks.

Barring injury, Julius Jones, T.J. Duckett, and Maurice Morris are locked in at tailback. Seattle is expected to carry two fullbacks (likely Leonard Weaver and rookie Owen Schmitt). Unless Forsett just dominates on special teams this preseason, he'll likely to to the practice squad.

rotoworld

Yendil
06-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Justin Forsett is considered a "very long shot" to make the Seahawks.

Barring injury, Julius Jones, T.J. Duckett, and Maurice Morris are locked in at tailback. Seattle is expected to carry two fullbacks (likely Leonard Weaver and rookie Owen Schmitt). Unless Forsett just dominates on special teams this preseason, he'll likely to to the practice squad.

rotoworld

maybe we can pull a Billicheat and put him on "IR" so noone else can sign him and develope his skills.................................... :rolleyes:

TheRedMarauder
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Bobby Engram remains frustrated with his contract and is now threatening to sit out Seahawks training camp.

Engram set a team record with 94 catches in 2007, but because of his age (35) Seattle is likely hesitant to extend his contract. He has not attended voluntary work. "It's a possibility," Engram Sunday said of skipping camp. "We'll see what happens. I think that everyone is in agreement that I've outplayed that deal." Coach Mike Holmgren has been confident that Engram will show, but hasn't spoken to the receiver since early last month.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Seahawks P Ryan Plackemeier will undergo surgery for a torn pectorals muscle on Tuesday.

He's out indefinitely. It's probably too early for Seattle to consider placing Plackemeier on injured reserve, but another punter will definitely be signed. Plack's 34.3 yards-per-punt net ranked 36th in the NFL last year.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
The Tacoma News Tribune suggests that T.J. Duckett wouldn't make the Seahawks if they hadn't handed him so much money in free agency.

Duckett's quick fall from grace in Seattle has been noteworthy. It looks like he won't have much a role in the offseason.

The Tacoma News Tribune believes Courtney Taylor is third on the Seattle depth chart at receiver, although the Seattle Times pegs Ben Obomanu there. depth chart at receiver entering training camp.

Either way, it appears Logan Payne is fifth on the list for now, while Jordan Kent may be headed to the practice squad. The Seahawks will also have to decide whether Deion Branch is active for the first six games of the year.

rotoworld

Jepetto1872
06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I think either Ben or Courtney would be a solid option there...I personally would like to see Ben win the job. On a side note, does anyone know how much it costs to get NFL league pass on the computer? Haha. I am moving to Cali and I don't want to miss a game. I haven't missed one since the 3rd grade.

FWBrodie
06-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I think either Ben or Courtney would be a solid option there...I personally would like to see Ben win the job. On a side note, does anyone know how much it costs to get NFL league pass on the computer? Haha. I am moving to Cali and I don't want to miss a game. I haven't missed one since the 3rd grade.

That sucks dude, I bet it's expensive. Gotta do it though.

Jepetto1872
06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
That sucks dude, I bet it's expensive. Gotta do it though.

Thats for sure. I'm not going to let college ruin my fanhood. haha

TheRedMarauder
06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Julius Jones will "most likely" emerge as the Seahawks' starting tailback, according to ESPN's Mike Sando.

Sando is a former Seahawks' beat writer and likely has a good handle on coach Mike Holmgren's ideal running back situation. Holmgren hasn't committed to a starter yet, but it would be a big upset if Jones doesn't start on opening day and end up with more touches than Maurice Morris.

Coach Mike Holmgren indicated at the Seahawks' last minicamp that CB Kelly Jennings is no lock to return as a starter in 2008.

"Marcus Trufant will be one corner," Holmgren said. "Then we have a bunch of guys battling that are playing very well at the other corner." 2007 second-round pick Josh Wilson and Jordan Babineaux may be threats to Jennings.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Seahawks released WR Chas Gessner.

Gassner didn't show poorly in his five weeks with the club, but never had a real shot at making it. He still doesn't have an obvious future in the NFL.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren doesn't plan to name a starting tailback until late in training camp.

"You know Mo (Morris) and Julius (Jones) are going to carry the ball a good portion of the time," Holmgren said. "Leonard (Weaver) is going to be our starting fullback. The one I have to figure out a little bit is how we are going to use (T.J.) Duckett." Holmgren has stated that he wants to use a committee and doesn't plan on giving one primary back 25 carries in any game. We wouldn't use a top-fifty fantasy pick on any member.

Coach Mike Holmgren says he "might have to re-evaluate" keeping Nate Burleson as a returner if he's the Seahawks' starter at split end.

Burleson has returned punts and kicks for Seattle the past two seasons and scored three return TDs during that span. CB Josh Wilson is a candidate to replace him on kickoffs. Burleson is the heavy favorite to start at split end and was reportedly highly impressive and consistent during minicamps.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-14-2008, 12:34 PM
The Seahawks have told Bobby Engram that they will not negotiate a new contract with him until after the season, but he doesn't plan to hold out of training camp.

Engram, who set a franchise record with 94 catches in 2007 and is far and away the most proven wideout on Seattle's 2008 roster, is currently somewhere between 75th and 80th on the league's receiver pay scale. It's hard not to side with the trusty vet on this one, but Engram isn't the type to follow through and hold out.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Seahawks released S Mike Green.

Once a reliable reserve and spot starter in Chicago, Green has battled injuries the past two seasons. He's 31 now, and his career could be over.

Seahawks signed WR Bryan Gilmore, formerly of the 49ers.

He's a useful special teamer, but probably only a camp body in Seattle.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Seahawks waived TE Zac Alcorn.

The pride of Black Hills State was injured in camp.

rotoworld