PDA

View Full Version : Knicks may add another big name to marquee

Andrew
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Knicks may add another big name to marquee (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjcmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY1MDc0MTcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)
Isiah Thomas may have another blockbuster deal in the works. The Bergen Record's Al Iannazzone reports that the Knicks could try to land Rasheed Wallace, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady or Allen Iverson in the offseason.

Sandman
03-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Oh jesus.

marco193
03-31-2004, 04:45 PM
And just who or what does Isiah have in players or picks to deal with? Remember, an expansion team is coming in next year. We can only protect 8 players and have bad feeling we may lose Frank Williams if Thomas isn't savvy enough to leave high-priced players like Penny, Anderson and Houston out there for the taking. No way the Bobcats select any of those three. Face the facts, Isiah: Rasheed ain't signing for the exception; Lakers ain't dealing you Kobe; you don't have the young talent it'll take to get T-Mac and why in the world you would even want Iverson is beyond me. Keep what we have now. Harrington will leave as a free agent. Baker should re-sign with us. Sweetney will get better as he gets in better shape. Houston and Kurt will get over their hurts. Deke is a goner, maybe you get a 2nd rounder for him. Nazr and TT will benefit from a full training camp. Moochie is ok as the 11th man/cheerleader. Bring us another shooter in case Allan's knees don't hold up and we can contend in the East next season. My choice: Brent Barry.

beckeramos
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Good editing job there Marcus, If I wouldn't of known better I'd say you deleted your mistake.

Sandman
03-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Who would we protect?
Whom we should protect:
Marbury
Williams
Sweetney
Mohammed
Thomas
Thomas
Houston
Baker?

beckeramos
03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Sandman
Who would we protect?
Whom we should protect:
Marbury
Williams
Sweetney
Mohammed
Thomas
Thomas
Houston
Baker?

Baker is a F.A and why should we protect Houston? What's the worst that could happen?

Sandman
03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
He's gone.

What's the use of getting rid of him when the team is still 30 million over the cap without him?

Say what you want about Houston, but he'd be impossible to replace if he got taken for nothing.

beckeramos
03-31-2004, 06:34 PM
We've played most of this year without him. Last year he had problems with his knees. It seems to me that we've seen his better days. If he gets selected and somehow returns to his old form then we make a trade for another shooting guard by using K. Thomas and Williams as trade bait. The main reason I wouldn't protect him is because of his salary. If the expansion club is crazy enough to take it, it's on them.

My theory is that it is way to much of a risk for the expansion club to take that contract with Houstons knee problems. Then we could use Houstons spot to protect somebody else.

marco193
03-31-2004, 06:56 PM
beck:
Where in my post do you see me say I have a "bad feeling" about losing anyone other than Frank Williams. My point was to put Allan, Shandon and Penny up for the expansion draft because with their contracts no way they'll be selected. Unless the Bobcats made a side deal w/ another team. That would leave us more Cap Room to possibly bring Rasheed on.

cchew100
03-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Who would we protect?
Whom we should protect:
Marbury
Williams
Sweetney
Mohammed
Thomas
Thomas
Houston
Baker?

i agree that we shouldnt protect houston. maybe we should try playing frank williams and marbury at the guards like what they're doin wit moochie and marbury. i also think that we should keep harrington. hes a good bench player.

marco193
03-31-2004, 09:33 PM
I like Othella's unorthodox game, too, but think he'll leave as a free agent and sign where he can get more minutes.

steelcityroller
04-01-2004, 02:09 AM
I dont see anyway the Bobcats would take Houston. If I am correct their salary next year is limited to $30 million. They would have Houston and a bunch of minimum salary guys with that kind of money.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by beckeramos
We've played most of this year without him. Last year he had problems with his knees. It seems to me that we've seen his better days. If he gets selected and somehow returns to his old form then we make a trade for another shooting guard by using K. Thomas and Williams as trade bait. The main reason I wouldn't protect him is because of his salary. If the expansion club is crazy enough to take it, it's on them.

My theory is that it is way to much of a risk for the expansion club to take that contract with Houstons knee problems. Then we could use Houstons spot to protect somebody else.
Then we're without Thomas and Williams (which is what we're trying to avoid anyways. My other point was if there was anybody else on the team worth protecting.

Marco: as far as caproom, Houston's contract definitely doesn't help, but even without his contract, the Knicks are still WAY over the cap.

marco193
04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Sad to say but the Knicks will probably be over the Cap during our entire lifetimes.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by marco193
Sad to say but the Knicks will probably be over the Cap during our entire lifetimes.
Good. There aren't many times when it really matters. Sure it would be nice to be able to sign free agents, but what good are signing guys that should be backups when you've got no decent starters?

Rarely do starters become that available.

I'd rather have Marbury and the rest than be under the cap with a bunch of lousy players.

marco193
04-01-2004, 08:04 PM
You wouldn't want a clear shot at Kobe or Rasheed w/o worrying about the cap? The cap also affects trades. A lot of time you're taking back players you don't even want (Amechi, for example) in order to makes the salaries match.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 08:06 PM
A CHANCE at Kobe or Rasheed. You also gotta notice that if we were under the cap, we'd be a lot more than a Kobe or a Rasheed away from contending. the Cap affects trades, for damn sure, but when you're under the cap, you probably don't have many decent things to trade.

marco193
04-01-2004, 08:11 PM
San Antonio seems to make great use of the cap. They tanked it one season for the shot at Duncan and every year have enough money and space to add a player or two and still contend for the title.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by marco193
San Antonio seems to make great use of the cap. They tanked it one season for the shot at Duncan and every year have enough money and space to add a player or two and still contend for the title.
I was thinking about them, and they have some great scouts (or have just gotten lucky with European players:p) either way it's great management. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but everybody other than Duncan is either not a role player or still on their rookie contract. Things'll change soon I guess.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 08:26 PM
They're basically the Knicks if Vujanic and Weiss had panned out. :eek: :p

beckeramos
04-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Something tells me tanking a season in New York wouldn't go over.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by beckeramos
Something tells me tanking a season in New York wouldn't go over.
The Rangers have done it for 7 years OMGYESIWENTTHERE

beckeramos
04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
The Rangers have done it for 7 years OMGYESIWENTTHERE

I really wish what the Rangers did could be called tanking, but it wasn't. Every one of those years the organization felt they had real chances of making the playoffs. Tanking is just playing bad on purpose. Rangers just played bad because they were bad. The Rangers losing has not gone over to well just like the past few seasons witht the Knicks.

Sandman
04-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Oh, I didn't necessarily mean tanking, but losing. How badly have ticket sales been?

beckeramos
04-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Oh, I didn't necessarily mean tanking, but losing. How badly have ticket sales been?

I remember the good ole days. The days when you couldn't get tickets to the Knicks and Rangers. Every night a packed house. Now for the past few years some games you can actually walk up and get tickets the day of a game. The Rangers you can do that every game now.

marco193
04-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Although I'm an Islanders fan, it seems the Rangers have finally learned their lesson about "marquee" players on the tail end of their careers and are rebuilding nicely. Rebuilding in the NBA is a little easier as 1 player can turn your franchise around. I know the Knicks could never 'tank' a season, our fans are too smart for that and would rebel. Even when the ping-pong ball did go our way (Ewing) we never surrounded him with complimentary players until he was on the tail end of his greatness and Jordan was ruling the NBA.

floyd!!
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM

jesus, this was posted 4 1/2 years ago and we still have 2 years more to go!!!

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I was 12 when this thread was created 0=
Looks like Steph didn't have a good supporting cast, though we should blame it on him because he should of been kobe06.

cheetos185
12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
what the hell are u guys doing looking at 4 year old thread :speechless: