PDA

View Full Version : Official Browns Offseason Thread

TheRedMarauder
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
With the team's season being over use this thread to post news and rumors for the team's offseason and discuss what moves the team should make.

TheRedMarauder
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Browns DB Gary Baxter (patellar tendon surgeries) restructured his contract during the season and can be a free agent in 2008.

Baxter's old six-year, $30 million contract was ripped up and replaced by a deal that paid him $1.5 million in 2007 and will allow him to hit the open market in March. Some team will likely give Baxter a shot as a reserve safety, but he's very unlikely to be guaranteed much money.

Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski won't interview for the Ravens head coaching job because his contract was extended in Cleveland.

If "Chud" is extended, Romeo Crennel may not be far behind. Chudzinski, Kirk Ferentz, and Josh McDaniels have all withdrawn from consideration in Baltimore, although the Ravens are casting a very large net.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski's contract extension is good through the 2011 season.

He was previously signed through 2009. Chud figures to be a head coach before long at the rate he's going. He turned the Browns from the league's 31st ranked offense into the No. 8 overall unit in his first year as coordinator.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
The Browns have made initial contact with the agent for Jamal Lewis regarding a possible contract extension.

It makes sense that Cleveland would bring Lewis back for another year or two after his 1,304-yard season. If Lewis wants too much money, Michael Turner may be an option. Turner was with OC Rob Chudzinski in San Diego.

rotoworld

DaBrownies
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Defensive Line..enough said

TheRedMarauder
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Browns TE Kellen Winslow will likely need surgery on both his right knee and his left shoulder this off-season.

As a Pro Bowl alternate, he's delaying surgery until he receivers word on Honolulu. Browns GM Phil Savage noted that WR Joe Jurevicius and LB Antwan Peek did undergo minor knee surgery this week.

rotoworld

SportsFan1988
01-26-2008, 01:27 AM
In addition to making Derek Anderson a three-year contract proposal, the Browns are believed to have offered free agent Jamal Lewis a two-year deal.

Lewis is unrestricted, whereas the Browns hold Anderson's restricted free agent rights. Lewis has indicated he would take a shorter-term deal to stay in Cleveland. The two-year offer is likely in the $10-14 million range.

Rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Kellen Winslow will undergo surgery on his right knee shortly.

Winslow delayed the surgery to this point in hopes of replacing Antonio Gates (toe) in the Pro Bowl, but Gates surprisingly opted to play. It's believed that Winslow will only have the knee scoped. He had a microfracture procedure done last offseason, but didn't miss a game in 2007. Winslow is still hoping to avoid having his subluxed shoulder repaired.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
The Boston Herald suggests the Browns could make a play for free agent CB Asante Samuel.

The Jets, who lightly pursued Samuel last year, will also be in the mix. Samuel's first defensive coordinator was current Browns head coach Romeo Crennel. Acquiring Samuel would allow Cleveland to move Eric Wright to the nickel.

rotoworld

IndiansFan337
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
The Boston Herald suggests the Browns could make a play for free agent CB Asante Samuel.

The Jets, who lightly pursued Samuel last year, will also be in the mix. Samuel's first defensive coordinator was current Browns head coach Romeo Crennel. Acquiring Samuel would allow Cleveland to move Eric Wright to the nickel.

rotoworld

I would love to see us bring in a defensive playmaker, with his winning experience.

But he also said there's about a 100% chance that he'd be returning to the Pats.

NYMetros
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I would love to see us bring in a defensive playmaker, with his winning experience.

But he also said there's about a 100% chance that he'd be returning to the Pats.

I think that if the Patriots let Moss go (especially now, since they didn't franchise him) then it is a 100% chance that the Patriots will bring back Samuel. They need to bring one of those 2 back IMO...

NYMetros
02-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Speaking at the Cleveland Auto Show Friday, Bill Cowher had this to say about his future: "I'd love to come back. If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."

Quickly trying to take his foot out of his mouth, Cowher added, "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back ... Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards. He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him." Crennel is signed through 2011.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Kellen Winslow underwent arthroscopic knee surgery recently.

This procedure was expected. It's good news that Winslow didn't need another reconstruction. He should be all systems go for minicamp work.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-24-2008, 12:09 PM
The agent for Kellen Winslow says contract discussions between the Browns and his client are "positive and ongoing."

Winslow, who had his right knee scoped recently, still hasn't decided if he'll undergo shoulder surgery. We can't imagine the Browns giving him more than a few million up front, but agent Drew Rosenhaus and Winslow make it sound like they could get a brand new, long-term deal. Winslow's annual surgeries would make that a dangerous move.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Browns released DE Orpheus Roye.

Cleveland is tearing apart its defensive line and will likely try to rebuild it mostly through the draft. Roye, 35, would've been on the hook for a $3 million salary in 2008. He accounted for 31 tackles and 0.5 sacks last year.

rotoworld

x_notorious
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
The Browns will keep Shaun Smith at nose tackle in 2008.It's where they originally brought him from Cincinnati to play, until Orpheus Roye got hurt again. Smith, who'll likely be bookended by Robaire Smith and Corey Williams on the ends, had 62 and two sacks tackles last year.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/reports_browns_trade_for_packe.html

TheRedMarauder
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Donte Stallworth is expected to visit with the Browns on Friday.

Stallworth would immediately become the No. 2 receiver opposite Braylon Edwards, and give Cleveland a second legitimate deep threat.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Travis Laboy is visiting Cleveland Friday.

The Browns already have beefed up their line with Corey Williams, but they need more pass-rushing help. Laboy struggled to stay healthy or produce in Tennessee.

rotoworld

cdr02989
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Donte Stallworth is expected to visit with the Browns on Friday.

Stallworth would immediately become the No. 2 receiver opposite Braylon Edwards, and give Cleveland a second legitimate deep threat.

rotoworld

Getting Stallworth would be an unbelievably awesome addition to an already stellar Browns offense, but I wonder just how much they'd be willing to spend on him. Phil Savage has already said they are focusing on the defense this off-season in his most recent press conference. In any case, I hope they can pull it off.

TheRedMarauder
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
The Browns will meet with free agent LB Nick Greisen on Saturday.

As mentioned previously, they're also talking to free agent Clark Haggans. Greisen would be a special teamer/reserve ILB in Cleveland's scheme.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Free agent guard Rex Hadnot will visit Cleveland Sunday after visiting with the Texans Saturday.

"I'm going to take this visit and see how Cleveland feels about me," Hadnot said. "I'm disappointed, but it's part of the business." Hadnot has started every game the last three seasons.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Following the Donte' Stallworth signing, Joe Jurevicius will become a slot receiver in Cleveland.

Jurevicius is still efficient, so he should be good inside. However, the Browns don't use frequent three-receiver sets. His numbers will go down.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Free agent LB Darryl Blackstock will reportedly visit the Browns this week.

He'd be a decent guy to take a flier on like Cleveland did with Antwan Peek last year. Peek got hurt, but brought some pressure when he was healthy.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Free agent DL William Joseph is scheduled to visit the Browns Sunday, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Joseph was a disappointment in New York after being taken in the first-round in 2003. He'd be yet another bid bodied addition to their defensive line.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Browns GM Phil Savage says Travis Wilson, Syndric Steptoe, and Steve Sanders will battle for the fifth receiver spot.

Wilson, the self-proclaimed best receiver in the '06 draft, has been a colossal disappointment with the Browns.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Browns GM Phil Savage confirmed that free agent Tim Carter will not be back with the team this season.

Carter has the tools, but doesn't catch the ball consistently. He may latch on as a camp body, but won't get the opportunity to be a third receiver again.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Joe Jurevicius told the Browns that he couldn't take the pounding of a second receiver, and asked to become a No. 3.

The signing of Donte' Stallworth granted this wish. Jurevicius should see significantly fewer snaps this season, and it's clear the 33-year-old's career is winding down.

rotoworld

IndiansFan337
03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Joe Jurevicius told the Browns that he couldn't take the pounding of a second receiver, and asked to become a No. 3.

The signing of Donte' Stallworth granted this wish. Jurevicius should see significantly fewer snaps this season, and it's clear the 33-year-old's career is winding down.

rotoworld

I still expect Jurevicius to remain the starter, in terms of the title....Out of respect for the veteran.

But Stallworth should see more snaps than Jurevicius.

TheRedMarauder
03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
The Bengals are in competition with the Browns to sign OLB Darryl Blackstock.

Miami was also interested, but Blackstock has narrowed his choice to the two Ohio clubs at this point. The Bengals, who lost LB Landon Johnson to the Panthers Friday, are in the market for a pass rushing linebacker.

rotoworld

BrOwNzBaKkEr19
03-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Browns really need to get Blackstock....What about Takeo Spikes or Roosevelt Colvin? Anything seems like an upgrade over McGinest at this point

BrOwNzBaKkEr19
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Lane Adkins of the O&B report sais Cleveland could take a strong look at LB Takeo Spikes and CB Ty Law.

Darryl Blackstock will likely end up uin Cincinatti.

Although "raising an eyebrow", the Browns will most likely NOT try to acquire CB Lito Sheppard or LB Al Wilson.

and finally..........

Although speculation has occured, Derek Anderson nor Brady Quinn will be traded to Green Bay. However, Quinn's agent has expressed his clients frustration the the organization.

Dont bother looking this up. If you have an account on the website, you know what im talking about but otherwise, you have to pay for this info, similar to espn's insider.

TheRedMarauder
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Browns re-signed OL Lennie Friedman to a one-year contract. Friedman is a veratile reserve with the ability to play guard and center.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
The Browns are close to signing GM Phil Savage to a multi-year extension.

"It's something we've been talking about on and off since December," said owner Randy Lerner. "We hope to have something done soon." Savage has two seasons remaining on the five-year deal he signed in 2005.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Free agent LB Al Wilson has scheduled a meeting with the Browns.

The middle linebacker-needy Lions cooled on Wilson after bringing him in for a physical last month. Cleveland is less desperate at the position.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
The Browns have opened contract negotiations with free agent LB Chaun Thompson.

It appears they won't pursue signing Al Wilson. Thompson somewhat surprisingly drew little interest on the open market. He can play inside and outside.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Browns signed DB Gary Baxter and FB Charles Ali to one-year contracts.

Baxter spent 2007 rehabbing from two torn patellar tendons, and had his knee scoped in November. Ali was undrafted out of college last year, but contributed on special teams for the Browns. Both deals are likely for the minimum.

rotoworld

CavsRules
03-14-2008, 03:18 AM
HealthMac post here??

Haha, gonna be fun reading his post. He has like 50 sources. :laugh2:

Glad to see Baxter re-signed, my boy. Hopefully he can find a way to make his way back and fill some needs defensively.. Depth wise.

TheRedMarauder
03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
The Browns have made an informal offer to restricted free agent DB Chris Carr.

Scout.com reports that while the team hasn't formally submitted an offer sheet, they have "talked numbers" with the versatile defensive back. The Browns would not have to give the Raiders draft pick compensation if they signed the free agent.

rotoworld

CavsRules
03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Hear we are in a three-way race for Lito Sheppard... Lions, Philly and Browns.

Browns After Sheppard in 3 Way (http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/Daily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FDCT%2FSports&r21.content=%2FDCT%2FSports%2FContentTab_Entertain ment_1719999)

-The deal would involve trading Andra Davis to the Lions to fill their big Inside Linebacker hole, Roy Williams to the Eagles, and Sheppard to the Browns. DB tells me Leon Williams would easily replace Davis if this trade were to occur. Draft Picks would also be involved in the deal, likely the Eagles losing a high one. The big point the article points out is that Williams is tradeable for the right price despite what GM Matt Millen has been saying.

I'm wishful thinking here.. Hopefully we can get a deal done. I really want Lito.

TheRedMarauder
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Colts and Browns recently reached out to free agent OLB Clark Haggans.

Haggans has a visit with Cleveland lined up for next week. He'd push Willie McGinest and Antwan Peek for time there. The Giants gave him a look earlier in the offseason, but their interest is nill after signing Danny Clark.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
The final two years on Browns ILB Andra Davis have voided.

He'll be in a contract year and make $1.675 million in 2008. Willie McGinest also had his pay cut to $900,000 after not achieving certain bonus standards. The Cleveland Plain Dealer refers to both as "former starters." It looks like Leon Williams will be lining up next to D'Qwell Jackson more this year.

rotoworld

DieHardColtsfan
03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I honestly want to say, i acually cant wait to see your team next year. I wanna see how everything falls into place (Qb situation, Free agent splashes). Great offseason! Hopefully the draft dont hurt you, (with lack of picks)

TheRedMarauder
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
The Saints and Browns are reportedly pursuing free agent G/C Matt Lehr.

The Bucs are not expected to bring him back. Lehr was accused of using steroids late last season. If he tests positive for a banned substance like he did with the Falcons in 2006, Lehr could be suspended for an entire season.

rotoworld

J-MERTH
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
We need to pick up another outside linebacker on the opposite side of Winmbley. Are there any good f/a available that we could possibly pick up? What happened with Al Wilson?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!! I GREATLY APPRETIATE IT.

http://www.360Elite4free.com/index.php?ref=4823919

TheRedMarauder
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
We need to pick up another outside linebacker on the opposite side of Winmbley. Are there any good f/a available that we could possibly pick up? What happened with Al Wilson?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!! I GREATLY APPRETIATE IT.

http://www.360Elite4free.com/index.php?ref=4823919

The Browns will host free agent OLB Clark Haggans on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The Colts are also thought to have interest in the 31-year-old pass rusher. Haggans has played in a 3-4 like Cleveland's for the majority of his career.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
The agent for Browns OL LeCharles Bentley says his client is doing "phenomenal" in his recovery from multiple knee surgeries.

The Browns let Bentley work out on his own in Arizona rather than report to Berea for their offseason conditioning program, which began Monday. Bentley, who reworked his contract in the winter, will vie for a roster spot.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-18-2008, 11:19 AM
The Browns and Lions' interest in free agent Troy Brown has reportedly cooled.

Brown met with the Jets on Monday, but it's unclear how high their level of interest is as well. Brown is 36 and hardly played at all last season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The Browns are considering signing free agent CB Benny Sapp.

Sapp was a decent nickel back at one time in Kansas City, but doesn't offer starting potential. He'd be best staying in sub-packages for his next team.

rotoworld

x_notorious
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms with free agent linebacker Shantee Orr on a one-year contract.

Orr played for Houston and Jacksonville last season. The 6-foot-1, 246-pounder will give the Browns depth and fill a spot opened when outside linebacker Chaun Thompson signed a two-year contract last week with the Houston Texans.

The 26-year-old Orr began last season with the Texans and made two starts before being waived after six games. He was signed by the Jaguars in December and played in three games.

Orr entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Michigan in 2003. He had his best season in 2005, when he made 12 starts and recorded a career-high seven sacks.

espn.com

TheRedMarauder
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Browns signed LB Kris Griffin, a restricted free agent, to a one-year, $927,000 contract.

Griffin, whose season ending on injured reserve, contributed 14 special teams tackles in 2007. He's healthy, but won't be a factor on defense.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
n addition to the 49ers, the Patriots, Browns, and Saints are reportedly interested in free agent LB Takeo Spikes.

The Saints can never have enough injury-prone linebackers. The Pats would likely provide Spikes his best chance to start, but may be offering the least money. The Niners are said to be unconcerned about Spikes' balky shoulder.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Coach Romeo Crennel confirmed at the owners' meetings that the Browns have no interest in free agent Troy Brown.

"Troy is a great guy," Crennel said. "I love him to death, but we have some guys on our team now that we’re pretty satisfied with." Brown could struggle to find suitors before training camp, when teams start dealing with injuries.

rotoworld

IndiansFan337
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Coach Romeo Crennel confirmed at the owners' meetings that the Browns have no interest in free agent Troy Brown.

"Troy is a great guy," Crennel said. "I love him to death, but we have some guys on our team now that we’re pretty satisfied with." Brown could struggle to find suitors before training camp, when teams start dealing with injuries.

rotoworld

Personally, I think he's just going to retire. I don't know if he's going to find a guaranteed contract, considering his performance, or lack thereof from last season.

NYMetros
04-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Browns CB Brandon McDonald will get a chance to start this season.

He'll compete with Daven Holly. McDonald, a fifth-round pick out of Memphis in 2007, flashed shutdown ability as a rookie against Andre Johnson in Week 12. Johnson caught only three passes for 37 yards in that game.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
''I think we're still a team in transition,'' Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. ''We haven't arrived by any stretch of the imagination.''

Because?

''Because I think that we really scrambled, fought and clawed to a bunch of those wins,'' Browns owner Randy Lerner said. ''And that's not exactly the most comforting way to get ahead in this business and it has not left me with any sense that I can 'kick back' a little.

''It's nice to win 10 games. That's a very, very nice feeling. But I think that we have got to continue to get better and get more confident.''

General Manager Phil Savage said he thinks the playing field might have leveled, but he's not any more secure this year than he was a year ago.

''I was telling someone the other day, this time a year ago we didn't have Brady Quinn, no one knew who Derek Anderson was, we didn't have Joe Thomas. Yet I still feel the same way,'' Savage said. ''You always have some uneasiness about it. It's a new season. New variables. Different schedule. Different expectations.''

When will the Browns feel they have ''arrived''?

''If we can win the division, if we can get to the playoffs, then I might have some stability,'' Crennel said.

Akron Beacon-Journal (http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/17325079.html?page=1&c=y) (continued)

TheRedMarauder
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Joe Jurevicius developed a staph infection after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery in January.

The Browns avoided staph breakouts last year, but they were a huge issue for the team in 2005 and 2006. Jurevicius needed another procedure to get the staph out, but is expected to be fine by May OTAs. As long as it doesn't spread, this shouldn't affect Jurevicius or the Browns during the season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Former Broncos LB Al Wilson didn't sign with the Browns because they could never agree to terms.

According to the Denver Post, even after missing two seasons to recover from a neck injury, Wilson figures his five Pro Bowl nominations are worth more than a minimum salary. It's tough to imagine a team going the extra financial mile to sign Wilson at this point in his career.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Browns coach Romeo Crennel believes ILB D'Qwell Jackson will be the biggest beneficiary from NT Shaun Rogers' addition.

"(Rogers) is a strong, dominant player at the line of scrimmage," Crennel said. "He can win the one-on-one battle, which will force some double teams, which then will free up whoever is behind him." If he stays healthy, Jackson has a very good chance to build on his 101 tackles from last season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Browns GM Phil Savage says Joe Jurevicius (knee surgery) is "fine" and called his staph infection a "non-story."

If Jurevicius is a participant at post-draft minicamps, we'll know he's fine. Jurevicius is slated to play the slot this season with Braylon Edwards and Donte' Stallworth outside. Josh Cribbs figures to be the fourth receiver.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Following GM Phil Savage's lead, Browns coach Romeo Crennel bluntly clarified where his quarterbacks stand.

"Derek Anderson is the starter," Crennel said. "Brady Quinn is the backup." Both coach and GM have flatly stated that there will be no open competition, but Quinn could get a chance at some point during the season if Anderson fails to recapture his early 2007 form.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-19-2008, 11:22 PM
The Browns traded Leigh Bodden partly because they felt the contract he signed late in 2005 affected his attitude.

They weren't happy with Bodden's play last year, but they could be giving up on a franchise cornerstone a little quickly. Bodden is certainly the best corner on Detroit's roster.

rotoworld

tman1256
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM
He is the prototypical 3-4 olb, if this guy can learn some entagibles and put on a little weight he could be the next adalius thomas. With Old man Willie McGinnest most likely gone after this year Crable could be a fixture at the left outside linebacker position for many years. The only other weak spot for the browns is CB, which once you get past the 1st round there are no real possible difference makers for us anyways.

Browns need to trade the rest of this draft if thats what it takes to get this guy

TheRedMarauder
04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
The Browns reportedly "debated long and hard" this week about UNLV inside linebacker Beau Bell.

Bell suffered a knee injury during pre-draft workouts and ran slow at his Pro Day, which could be enough to get him to the fourth round. The Browns don't have draft picks in the top three rounds due to trades this year and last.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
The Browns admit their decision to move up in the draft for Missouri TE Martin Rucker was due to concern about Kellen Winslow's knees.

Having Rucker also gives them leverage in contract talks. "You're talking about a player who has three years left on his deal," Savage said of Winslow. Steve Heiden had recent back surgery and Darnell Dinkins isn't a weapon.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Browns GM Phil Savage says rookie Paul Hubbard will be given a chance to succeed Joe Jurevicius as the team's third receiver.

Jurevicius is expected to retire in 2009. The Browns have just about given up on Travis Wilson. Hubbard seems likely to be their fifth receiver as a rookie, behind Braylon Edwards, Donte' Stallworth, Jurevicius, and Josh Cribbs.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Browns claimed S Steve Cargile off waivers from the Broncos. Cargile is a special teamer who will be low on Cleveland's safety chart.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
The Browns expect rookie Beau Bell to begin pushing inside linebacker Andra Davis for playing time by mid-season.

If Bell is in the mix for playing time with Davis, he'd also be a threat to Leon Williams' action. Bell, who forced five fumbles and intercepted four passes as a senior, was a fourth-round pick. He'll play special teams initially.

rotoworld

that_deal
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
what was bells injury and how severe was it

BullsFan_1
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Browns waived RB Kory Chapman and OL Eric Young.

Chapman, who spent five weeks on the practice squad in '07, turns 28 soon and doesn't have a future in the league. Young was an undrafted rookie.

rotoworld.com

TheRedMarauder
05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Willie McGinest announced that he'll retire after this season.

That assumes he'll make the Browns. If that happens, McGinest will make it to the end of a three-year deal that was criticized at the time. While his production has been mediocre, he's a leader for a young team and the Browns would probably make the same decision again.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Antwan Peek and Willie McGinest are expected to share the Browns' outside linebacker position opposite Kamerion Wimbley this season.

Cleveland did well to upgrade its line, but Wimbley can expect a lot of offenses' attention after the Browns did little at the other OLB spot. Shantee Orr will also be in the mix there. Peek has the best pass rushing ability.

D'Qwell Jackson is the only Browns inside linebacker locked into a starting role heading to the season.

Leon Williams, Beau Bell, and Andra Davis are competing at SILB. Jackson plays the weak side and will benefit from having Shaun Rogers on the nose.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Browns beat writer Tony Grossi guesses that Braylon Edwards will get a new contract before Kellen Winslow.

Edwards, who has two years left on his rookie deal, hasn't expressed any displeasure with his contract. Winslow feels he's underpaid, but has had at least four surgeries on his right knee and could have a shortened career.

rotoworld

NE24
05-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Kellen Winslow (knee surgery) is not expected to attend Browns OTAs.

Other injured players like Steve Heiden (back) and Joe Jurevicius (knee) will be there. The Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests Winslow's absence is contract related. Upgrading Winslow's deal is not currently the team's priority.
roto-

TheRedMarauder
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Browns OL LeCharles Bentley's agent guaranteed Tuesday that his client will play football in 2008.

Before Bentley can begin practicing with the Browns, he must pass their physical. It's no guarantee that Bentley will make the Browns out of training camp, but he intends to play elsewhere if that's the case.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Browns terminated CB Kenny Wright's contract.

Wright, 30, hasn't been an effective coverman in a few years. The writing was on the wall when he was arrested on several charges early last month.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Browns signed DB Jereme Perry, formerly of the Dolphins.

He takes Kenny Wright's spot on the roster. Perry can play both corner and safety, but is unlikely to be more than a sixth or seventh defensive back.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Browns coach Romeo Crennel said the thing that most impressed him about QB Brady Quinn as a rookie was his ability to lead.

Crennel pointed to Quinn's scout team habit of giving the Browns No. 1 defense fits last season. The Browns have consistently stated that Derek Anderson is the team's starter, but dynasty leaguers relying on anticipation would do well to keep tabs on the Browns quarterback situation throughout the summer and into the regular season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Browns OL Ryan Tucker underwent surgery to repair a non-displaced fracture in his hip Friday and will be out at least two months.

The team says he'll be ready for the start of the season. Tucker was slated to start at right guard for Cleveland's suddenly strong line. Isaac Sowells and Rex Hadnot are candidates to fill in if Tucker isn't healthy by Week 1.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Andra Davis is expected to play over Leon Williams and Beau Bell on early downs this season.

Davis is expected to be spelled by Williams in passing situations. Bell is a ballhawk and could make an impact on those downs eventually. It sounds like Davis is expected to start games after appearing to lose his job last year.

The Browns are expected to do less blitzing under new defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

The scheme Todd Grantham ran remains in place, but on passing downs the team will favor rushing with four and covering with seven. Kamerion Wimbley should get back near double-digit sacks, but don't expect many more than 10.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Browns coach Romeo Crennel revealed that CB Daven Holly will need surgery to repair the knee he injured Wednesday.

Crennel and GM Phil Savage characterized the injury as "serious." Holly hurt two knee ligaments (possibly the ACL and MCL), along with some cartilage damage. It doesn't sound like we'll see him on the field this season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Browns signed restricted free agent CB Daven Holly to a one-year, $1.417 million contract. He was subsequently waived/injured.

He'll go on I.R. once he clears waivers. Even though the Browns were nice enough to pay him for this year, it's an extremely unfortunate injury for Holly. His 2009 free agent market value is crushed due to a blown out knee.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Browns agreed to terms with CB Terry Cousin, formerly of the Jaguars.

Cousin, 33, played as Jacksonville's nickel back the last three seasons. He had one pick, three breakups, and 47 tackles in 2007. Cousin isn't more than a slot corner at this point, but gives Cleveland needed experience at CB.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Browns RB Jamal Lewis thinks a prediction of "1,400 or 1,500 [rushing] yards is an understatement" this year.

Before filing this under typical offseason fluff, recall that Lewis did finish with over 1,300 yards last season in 15 games including an average of over 100 yards in the last seven weeks. As one of the few every-down backs, Lewis may be one of the safer options available. If early drafts are any indication, Lewis is lasting until the third round.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
The Browns are tinkering with how Brady Quinn grips the football.

Kind of like what Chris Palmer did with Tom Couch. "Brady kind of gripped the ball a little bit more in the meat of the ball," said QBs coach Rip Scherer. "We tried to move him up a lace or two, more toward the top end and keep him more balanced." It doesn't sound like Quinn is making a major adjustment. Big changes in quarterbacks' mechanics rarely prove successful in the NFL.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Bills CB Ashton Youboty could reportedly be on the Browns' radar.

Youboty, a third-year player, is unlikely to make the Bills and should be available for a sixth- or seventh-round pick. Perhaps the corner-needy Browns would dangle a linebacker (Andra Davis?) who could add depth in Buffalo.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Speaking on Sirius NFL Radio early Tuesday, free agent Rosevelt Colvin said the Browns and Jets have shown interest in him.

Colvin, 30, passed a Colts physical last month so it appears he's ready to play. The Jets don't really need a fourth OLB (behind Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, and Vernon Gholston). Cleveland could use competition for Willie McGinest. Colvin also knows coach Romeo Crennel's system quite well.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Browns No. 3 receiver Joe Jurevicius recently began running on his twice surgically repaired knee.

Coach Romeo Crennel says Jurevicius will "probably" be ready for training camp. Jurevicius is old (33) and his body can't be right coming off two knee surgeries and a staph infection. Expect him to be limited until the fall.

rotoworld

IndiansFan337
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Sources tell the Cleveland Plain Dealer that Joe Jurevicius (knee surgery) might not be ready for the start of the regular season.

The Browns have not been forthcoming about his most recent injury, but he's had at least three procedures this offseason. This spells long-term trouble for a player who has often struggled to stay healthy. Jurevicius is "determined to play this season," but is no longer a fantasy option. Travis Wilson and Josh Cribbs are candidates to pick up snaps.
Rotoworld.com

TheRedMarauder
06-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Despite a big offseason, Travis Wilson's spot on the Browns is not secure.

With that said, he has a shot to be their third receiver if Joe Jurevicius can't get healthy. Wilson, a former third-round pick, needs to keep his momentum going into training camp.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Rex Hadnot is "getting a foothold" on the Browns starting right guard job.

Ryan Tucker is out with a broken hip, and LeCharles Bentley is out of the picture. That leaves just Seth McKinney, but the Browns braintrust prefers Hadnot.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Browns LB Leon Williams reportedly needs to improve by training camp, or he could be stuck playing mostly special teams.

A step back after starting at inside linebacker for much of last season. Rookie Beau Bell and a possibly resurgent Andra Davis are threats for playing time.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-21-2008, 11:06 AM
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers are dangling WR/PR Eric Parker in trade talks.

Parker is expected to be cut if San Diego can't find a trade partner, however, so the team isn't going to get much for him. He also missed all of 2007 with a toe injury and hasn't been 100% this offseason. When healthy, Parker can be an effective possession/slot type receiver and returns punts. The Browns are among "several teams" that have shown initial interest.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
The Browns expect OLB Kamerion Wimbley to "easily top" his rookie year production.

Wimbley had 11 sacks in his first year, but four in 2007. "Last year, Wimbley would beat the guy around the corner, but the guard would help out," said a Browns' official. "With the inside push that we have now, he should easily top (his 2006 production)." Still, without a reliable bookend OLB opposite him, Wimbley may see his share of double teams again.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Browns FB Charles Ali may be available in a trade, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto.

Ali, a pure blocker and special teamer, might net Cleveland a seventh-round pick. He appeared in 13 games as a rookie in 2007 and received no touches.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-26-2008, 06:21 PM
The Dayton Daily News suspects that it would only take a late-round pick in 2009 for the Browns to acquire Eric Parker from the Chargers.

Parker has no role on the Bolts, is coming off a major injury, and has a relatively pricey contract. But Browns coordinator Rob Chudzinski knows what Parker can do from their days together in San Diego, so this may be a match.

rotoworld

ClevelandPWND
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
The Steelers cut running back Najeh Davenport on Friday, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

Davenport played in 15 games -- starting one -- for the Steelers in 2007, scoring five touchdowns while rushing for 499 yards. Davenport played two seasons for the Steelers after spending the first four years of his career in Green Bay.

Anybody think Davenport could help us out?

LTRACY24
06-29-2008, 03:29 AM
The Steelers cut running back Najeh Davenport on Friday, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

Davenport played in 15 games -- starting one -- for the Steelers in 2007, scoring five touchdowns while rushing for 499 yards. Davenport played two seasons for the Steelers after spending the first four years of his career in Green Bay.

No not really

IndiansFan337
06-29-2008, 12:28 PM

No, he's not a change of pace from Jamal Lewis.

TheRedMarauder
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Derek Anderson worked out at SPARQ during the offseason in an attempt to better his mobility.

SPARQ stands for Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction, Quickness. Browns OC Rob Chudzinski is installing more rollouts into the playbook this season, so perhaps this will help Anderson improve on those. You can bet that Brady Quinn would still whoop him in a foot race.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
One AFC scout believes the Browns' potential loss of Joe Jurevicius (knee surgeries) could adversely impact Jamal Lewis.

"He is a leader and a good blocker," the scout said. "Don't underestimate the loss of him in the running game. He is one of the few guys willing to go inside and dig out linebackers and safeties. His loss would impact Jamal Lewis' production." Jurevicius' status for Week 1 is very much in doubt.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
The Browns have maintained contact with free agent DE Orpheus Roye, who they released in late February.

Roye met with the Broncos (a requirement for any cut Browns DL) in March, but didn't latch on. Cleveland is untested behind Robaire Smith, Corey Williams, and Shaun Smith. Look for Roye, 35, to rejoin the club in-season.

rotoworld

THE PEOPLE
07-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Despite initial reports that Donte' Stallworth's seven-year contract with the Browns included $10 million guaranteed, Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports Stallworth is due a $4.75 million roster bonus in year two.
In March of 2009, the Browns will decide whether Stallworth is valuable enough to keep around at a cap cost of $6.4 million. The contract sounds similar to the one Stallworth signed with New England in 2007. It's another prove-it deal.

Rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Browns waived S Justin Sandy and DE Zach West. Neither of these players were in Cleveland's 2008 plans.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Eric Parker was a no-show as the Chargers convened for training camp on Monday.
The AP writes that Parker's tenure with the team "could end within the next couple of days." "If we have any developments regarding Eric, we'll let you know," GM A.J. Smith said. The Browns are likely tracking this situation.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-23-2008, 11:57 PM
The Browns currently don't have any interest in free agent Eric Parker, according to GM Phil Savage.

Parker knows Cleveland's offense, which is similar to the Chargers' when Cam Cameron was coordinator, but he isn't healthy.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Browns ILB Andra Davis will wear the team's defensive headset to relay in play calls from the sideline this season.

Davis is now a sure bet to be Cleveland's starter next to D'Qwell Jackson, and figures to be an every-down player. This ups Davis' IDP potential a bit.

The Browns are expected to address Sean Jones and Braylon Edwards' contracts before they give Kellen Winslow a raise.

Jones is of utmost priority, as he's the only player here whose deal ends after this season. The strong safety is a bona fide playmaker in the back; Jones has ten picks over the last two years and didn't miss a snap in 2007.

rotoworld

IndiansFan337
08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
rotoworld

We can't afford to lose either of our safeties, with such weak CB's.

We be in serious limbo is Jones chose to walk following this season.